Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Suicide Squad!!

Absolutely. I wasn't at first. I grew up idolizing Harley Quinn and the Joker back when I'd come home from school at 3 and the BTAS would be on the television. So, the black and red catsuit and the purple suit and tie are very ingrained in my conception of the Joker. I also got really attached to Ledger's depiction. So, when the first trailers came out and Jared Leto spouts at the end that line "I'm not gonna kill ya..." etc. and grins with silver grill and eyebrowless gruesome face, it came off as cringey to me. Like an unnecessary escalation just for the sake of "outdoing" past depictions or an attempt to be different. Hearing about Letos tapes and presents to cast members only solidified this image of gross, overhype, throwing core concepts of the character out the window in order to make it hip for the jaded youth of our day. I'm also not fond of the blue and red and skimpy Harley Quinn but I've been hopeful about Margot Robbie's portrayal ever since I watched Wolf of Wallstreet and heard she'd been cast for the role.

Since then, I have loosened my old person's grip on "how it's supposed to look" particularly watching behind the scenes, more indepth clips of the film, and analysises of the 3 Joker backstory reveal in recent years and how this fits in with the overall depictions in comics from the beginning and the films. And it helps that I've found other things about it to like, like the Enchantress character, looking esoteric and menacing in both versions, and the level of realism brought to it all with the use of prosthetics for Killer Croc rather than CGI and Will Smith training with Navy Seals/Marines(I forget which?). Plus, Viola Davis is spot on for Amanda Waller and hearing her conversation voice over explaining the squad to another character in the first trailers...I have to admit, despite my initial reluctance about Leto, I was always gonna see it, just for her.

Who has seen this? What did you think???

I've heard so many divided reviews, seems like Rotten Tomatoes and professional critics are trying to shit on everything DC but all the Youtube reviewers I've seen are, if not gushing, then at least willing to say good things about it and give it high ratings.

Im not a huge fan of the superhero comics but love the flood of movies in that genre comming out. An i particularly like films an media that focus on a villains point of veiw or a anti-hero as the lead character. It may of got negative reveiws but im ignoring them an seeing it soon!

Princess Pittooey said:
I didn't know what it was until I came to this thread. I am so out of the loop.

*pet pet* That's okay. Sometimes I go through phases where I'm not as fixated on movies and things and I pick it up later and act like it's the greatest thing, and everybody has already swept through that movie 2 years ago, lol.

Ghost_kitty said:
Im not a huge fan of the superhero comics but love the flood of movies in that genre comming out. An i particularly like films an media that focus on a villains point of veiw or a anti-hero as the lead character. It may of got negative reveiws but im ignoring them an seeing it soon!

Me too! Like, with Guardians of the Galaxy, I love this kind of anti-hero slant on things, rather than making regular heroes more gritty and edgy.

Back
Top Bottom