Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Helping Others

Rudolph Quin

Mistaken for some sort of scoundrel
Withdrawn
How often do you help others? Who do you help? How often do you help?

Whenever I can, anyone I can. I figure if you're not helping, then you're not living, or being truly alive. Hope that doesn't come across as sanctimonious or anything, but it is how I feel. I always think, why wouldn't you help? What's wrong with you?

Its not just about who, how, or how often, its also about Why, and if its needed.

I.E. Canned food drives are helpful in a way but ultimately a waste and take away time and manpower from food pantries.

I do what some would consider helping others for a living, I collect a paycheck but my bosses and coworkers always say I go above and beyond what I'm paid. Does this make me more generous, or just someone who takes pride in my work?

Ah, I didn't want this to come off as shaming anybody for not helping or for not helping the "right" way. I just wanted to know specifically the things that people do to stay active in their communities, to show kindness to their fellow man. ^^; I've been thinking a lot about community and good works lately and kind of wanted to open the floor for people to brag a little if they wanted to. I mean, fuck, if it's about your car or your house or your things, it comes off as so vapid and annoying. But doing good for other people, even if silent, in secret, only you in your heart knows, is something to be proud of. So many people have a hard time thinking outside the box of themselves or they put limitations on why they "can't." I just wanted to hear some good stuff and let people feel good about doing good if they do.

I don't have a lot of money to give but every once in a while, I'll put myself out there to do artwork for free for different community projects or churches. Something that I can give time and share my gifts with others who may not be able to afford a professional.

I've donated to some charity organizations in the past, and given money to homeless folks who lived near campus. I also donate monthly to BMR's Patreon's account. If it pertains to the topic, I'm also a generous tipper. I don't really feel too passionately about charity work but I do it when I can because I know life is unfair. The only reason I have money, food and shelter is because I was born into an economically-able family.

On a more personal matter, I rarely turn down friends asking for help/favors. This one I feel passionate about, actually. It gives me a sense of satisfaction knowing that I made someone's life a little easier by staying up late to pick someone from the airport, stopping by the parking lot to fill a friend's parking meter, bringing coffee to my study group, or making someone here a signature to use in their profile. I dunno, I just enjoy it :)

For me I was always brought up to help people and to do the right thing, sometimes theres only so far I can stretch but I do my best. I helped my family when my mother had a stroke 8 years ago, I took up domestic duties in house between my part time job and college. Then when I moved out my housemate and friend for 4 years lost his job so I helped him by lending him money for his rent until he got a new job. And earlier this year a friend of mine needed a cash boost to get a place with his boyfriend (my friend too) to get out of a really crappy houseshare they had. Ive also given £10 a month to the Samaritans charity for the past 2/3 years.

Im hardly the richest guy and currently awaiting a new job to start, but even if I cant assist financially emotionally I try to be there for people even if it means burying my own problems in order to help them. To be honest helping people makes me feel good, though some say it can be a weakness and some take advantage. My friends are currently paying me back as well as helping me when im in a bind emotionally.

Ok, it's specifics then. When a young mother was kicked off a bus with her little one recently, I paid her fare just 'cause I was walking by.

Every week, I spend at least two hours giving free adult literacy tutoring at the local Adult Learning Center.

I have direct debits with three animal charities plus a human rights organization.

Last year I took in two financially disadvantaged students to my home for three months and prepped them so they could legitimize scholarships that were being questioned. This year, I took in four. It was pretty crowded, but all six students are now benefiting from much needed and well deserved higher education.

I do my elderly neighbor's shopping every week and cook enough food for her for three to four days. We chat and laugh and it's fun. Another neighbor sees to the other days.

I think what I meant in my original post was just....why would you not do anything to help? The fact that it needs talking about bothers me, though it's definitely a legitimate topic. To me, it should be first nature, never mind second. And I don't mean to shame anyone at all. If you really look at your actions throughout the day, it's very likely you'll find you've helped a ton more than you imagined. Just think of all those little kindnesses you've offered, probably automatically. It all counts.

I feel my life revolves around helping others. This could be because I'm studying to be a therapist, but I also feel it's just a natural calling for me. I help people whenever I can, and sometimes I even lose sleep over making sure people are okay.

Back
Top Bottom