Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Most important?

Rudolph Quin

Mistaken for some sort of scoundrel
Withdrawn
Which do you think is more important, a reliable car or a sturdy house? Why?

Hmmmm....well, if an RV can be counted as a car then I'd say a great car. Why? Simple, I can be a turtle and take my house with me! A great RV means I don't have to worry about things such as property taxes, maintaining any land, loose of property value over the years, the area going down hill around me and being unable to sell my house for what it actually is worth because of the quality of work I put into it...a freakin' mortgage...hefty electric bills or sewer bills or depending upon where I live having to deal with the loveliness that comes with having a well or septic tank....plus I'm not stuck in one area. If I grow tired of a certain area I can move a hell of a lot easier with an RV verses a house with a foundation.

True, RV's can be just as expensive as a house but that honestly depends on how big they are, the special add ons like how many pop-outs/bump outs you have, the type of interior you have such as going super high class and fancy with granite counter tops or solid wood cabinets, things like that. Sure, with an RV you will have insurance still and I believe you need to maintain a certain type of loan on them but its still less expensive than most mortgages. Yes you would have to hook up in an RV park and pay a monthly or so many monthly fee to hook up there for water and electric but it would still be cheaper. Just have to make sure you don't end up in a really shady park. I can still keep my actual car that I would drive to work and the store, keep it on a trailer I tow behind the RV. If My job requires me to relocate it's much easier to get up and go than owning a house or renting a house/apartment....or if I want to move somewhere else to get a better job...

So all in all, I say give me a great RV!

Neither, particularly for me. As long as I'm comfortable, and it's reliable, that's all I need. I've never been one to care about luxury, having the 'best' or material possessions at all, really.

That's totally cheating, Feral! XD

That's an interesting interpretation, Quix. I actually read it more "great, as opposed to shitty" like in the designation of something being reliable, rather than flashy or opulent. I thought of that being the choice, like, house or car, which is more important? Sorry if there was confusion.

My fault, Rudolph, I likely interpreted it in my own way, differently than you'd intended it. As I might be doing again below!

For me, the more important is a sturdy house, and having my own 'space' to return to. Whenever I need to use the car. it means I'm out and about. There's other forms of transport, but my home is my sanctuary, and the place where I can completely forget the outside world exists, and not have to see or talk to another living soul if I chose not to. That's one of life's great luxuries.

Not at all! I realize "great" wasn't a good word to use. :blush:

I'm the same way, Quix. I actually don't like to go anywhere very often. every once in a while, I'll get stir crazy and just need to be around people but for the most part, "working internet? Comfy bed? Food in fridge? What do I want a car for?" I'm a big thinker and a lot of people around here fall into two camps: they think going to the bar every night of the week is "fun" or they think going to church every night of the week is. So, none of them are really Clive Barker or Quintin Tarantino fans, not in a way that makes me want to talk to them. I'm kind of snooty that way. ^^;

In my personal opinion, a sturdy house is far more important than a reliable car. A house fits part of the human hierarchy of needs and can be a life/death situation, whereas a car is a luxury that isn't necessary. If you don't have a house, then you could possibly die. If you don't have a car, you just have to do what's inconvenient - walk, find public transport, etc. So it's not ideal but you'll live.

I live in an area where a car is a necessity. Limited public transportation which only runs during certain hours, a sprawling urban development that has me working a thirty minuet drive across town to get to work, and harsh winters which would make walking/biking impractical at best and suicidal at worst.

So a car is much more important to me as it is the tool by which I can acquire all other goods.

Rudolph Quin--

"That's totally cheating, Feral! XD"

Lol hey at least I'm honest about it! XD But is it cheating if it's thinking a little outside the box? All in all, house and car are MAJOR financial responsibilities between upkeep and simply making your way to owning them. I do NOT want to be owned by a house...at least with a car [[unless one the same value as a house is bought]] can be paid off and officially owned by an individual much faster than a house. Personally in my opinion, cars are far less upkeep than a house. True, the average car has 3000 parts to it but a house...even more so.

Speaking of the two separately, I don't need a fancy car. So long as it can handle the different weather patterns of the area I live in, get me back and forth to important places such as work, doctors, super market, etc, and NOT nickel and dime me to keep it in good condition, I'm fine with it. I will say I am guilty of my preference to older model cars. Ones with full steel frames, heavier bodies, and four wheel drive. Cars now-a-days...you smack into something going 10mph and you look like you were nailed by a semi. The current car I own is sturdy and not as big of a gas hog as one might think. I prefer the full frame for protection purposes incase of an accident, and the 4 wheel drive given the terrain around here.

With a house...all I need is a bedroom, bathroom/laundry and kitchen and maybe a room to serve as the media/work space for when I do crafts and cosplay. I don't need acres of land or the finest things to be included in a house that money has to offer. But at the same point I would like privacy and thus not deal with living in an apartment. I do not want people over me, under me and alongside of me. I like my privacy. So a small cottage like home on a small piece of land away from the center of town. I would like for my house to be a place where I can relax and feel safe. My own little rock to crawl under and stay in as long as possible.

.....and I still can't seem to give a defined answer as to which one is more important...house or car. Damn it all...just call me indecisive on this XD

Sturdy house! Sturdy house! Sturdy house!
I have to be able to disappear after being so viewable all day. Alone time is extremely important to me, so I'd give up just about anything to keep the house.

Do need my car for work, though, and if my offer on the house I've loved from afar this last while is accepted, I'll need the car even more as it's further from work!

It's a tough call but I guess if push came to shove, I'd work from home and ditch the wheels.

I think I change my answer. Because of the nature of my work and where I live, everything is a half an hour to an hour away from me. And the roads are twisty, turny, hilly things that get blasted with salt and crap during the winter. I'm discovering right about now as commissions start pouring in, how crucial it is to be able to transport myself safely.

What is most important for me would be a sturdy horse. Horses apart from giving you transportation, give you love as well. And I think that is valuable. A car cannot replace that love an animal companion gives.

:heart: I love horses! Majestic creatures they are.

Back
Top Bottom