Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Have you ever saved a life?

Rudolph Quin

Mistaken for some sort of scoundrel
Withdrawn
Have you ever saved a person's or an animal's life? Have you ever been instrumental in the saving of a life?

While not hugely I have been involved in making sure people haven't died. From keeping track of vitals after someone's hit their head to just making sure people receive medicine so they don't die.

There have been a few cases where I've played a larger roll, a month back an individual supported was given the wrong insulin which caused them to drop severely. Every hour for the next five hours I had to wake them up, test their blood sugar and make sure they ate something to stabilise their BS.

Another time was by accident. A few years ago I began to notice that one of the individual's room had a rotten smell to it, like they were hiding food that had gone bad. I informed day staff to see if they could check his room, they found no food; but his groin had become necrotic due to cancer. The staff that was supposed to be assisting him shower had missed it's development. They were able to remove the tumour and it thankfully had not spread far enough that surgery was all that was needed.

Still look after him.

Hey, those are still more than I've ever done, so, definitely instrumental. That last one is a pretty cool story. Can't believe the other people watching him didn't notice!

What the staff had done was mostly just gotten the guy his soaps, shampoo, clean clothes and a towel ready for him and let him take care of things as he's rather independent. I'm more pissed at the doctor failing to notice anything when the individual had been in for a physical no more than a month before; because when we discovered it the tumour was the size of a softball. I find it hard to believe it developed that fast, though I recognise that it is possible.

In the same breath I can tell you that the two times I've had to make use of CPR/AED it's not worked out. First time paramedics were able to get his heart going with chemicals but he was brain dead by then and never woke up before his family pulled life support. That was nerve wracking sitting in the hospital waiting room to find out what was going on.

The other time was when someone committed suicide during the night and had already been dead for some hours. It wasn't directly at my house, but a neighbouring building so I was called over to bring an AED which could not detect a heart beat and so had to start doing compressions even though they were obviously dead and the paramedics called it right as they showed up.

Upper management scapegoated some workers that weren't adequately trained at that house and no one actually responsible for seeing that there was full staffing that was trained lost anything. That house should never had opened, year and a half later and they still have issues with high turnover and shoddy employees.

I have called the firemen (those you call for emergencies here) on a friend who claimed to be killing herself on FB. They went and... she wasn't doing anything... I know because she posted about it on FB, how some "jerk" sent the firemen.

I have convinced a couple people online not to kill themselves, but again they may have been lying for attention.

I supported a friend not give in to abortion pressure from her surroundings (she's now married with a great guy who adopted the child too).
That's what I can think of!

RedRose said:
I have called the firemen (those you call for emergencies here) on a friend who claimed to be killing herself on FB. They went and... she wasn't doing anything... I know because she posted about it on FB, how some "jerk" sent the firemen.

I have convinced a couple people online not to kill themselves, but again they may have been lying for attention.

I supported a friend not give in to abortion pressure from her surroundings (she's now married with a great guy who adopted the child too).
That's what I can think of!

Those are really cool, thank you for sharing. You never know with suicide and I think people would rather take those threats seriously than be proven "wrong" for thinking it was a joke or insincere. I'd rather not even entertain the thought "oh, they were lying for attention" even if it might be true because it invalidates the efforts of the one stepping in, so, next time they'll hesitate and feel like it might not be worth it if it all might end up being a joke. I think the important thing in every case is that someone didn't die and that's a "win." Period. :) Because whether they mean to do it for attention or not, accidents can happen. As for the last, that's a really nice story and I'm glad it worked out for everyone involved. ^.^

Not directly, but my boyfriend told me I saved his life before we even met in person. I can't go into details because he won't tell me how. But I do know he went through a huge change around the time he graduated high school and his personality changed dramatically. So I think something traumatic happened to him and I just happened to be there to help him through it.

Asphodel Terrarium said:
Those are all nice inspiring stories. :-/ Makes me realise that I'm one selfish and spoilt ****.

Aw!
latest
Don't worry, I haven't saved a life either. I wrack my brain and can't think of a situation where I've had the opportunity. Doesn't mean we're selfish, it just means we're boring! XD Just kidding. Who knows maybe our grand heroic moment is waiting to show up later in life?

But yes, I agree. These are inspiring stories from our BMR members. ^^

Yes, many times.
I always seem to be at the right place at the right time.
But I guess it comes down to your definition of "save a life".

- Saved my dog from choking on a plant. Had to shove my hand all the way down her throat to pull the damn thing out.
- Saved someone for choking with the heimlich.
- Saved another person from drowning in a pool.
- Saved a child who ran behind of a truck backing up.
- Saved my friend with a deathly peanut allergy (she needs 3 epipen boosts just to get her to a hospital) - I actually grabbed a knife with jam on it right out of her hand before she put it in her mouth because I saw another member of our team double dip the same knife in a jar of peanut butter. Also, turned out she forgot her epipens that day, too!
- Saved an elderly man who tripped at the top of bleachers in a big stadium, he kept tumbling down (there were dozens of rows) and I flew down the bleachers to grab him before he hit the ground (actually caught his head).
- I also do suicide prevention online.

I'm sure there are more, I just can't remember off the top of my head. I intervene whenever I am presented with a crisis. It's just in my nature, a part of who I am.

I have a natural instinct for this sort of stuff, though. It's the reason I decided to go into Youth and Adult Correctional Intervention (also includes rehabilitation, reintegration, and therapy).

Haven't yet had the opportunity of saving a person's life but always take time out for letting out moths, butterflies, flies, wasps, bees, all the insects really. And hate to mention the 'S' words again, Rudolph, but that includes the spiders. After the startle, I go get the glass, plonk it on top, slide a stiff card under and take them back out into the land, unless it's winter. Then I just leave them be.

I've saved more lives than I can really care to count, both directly and indirectly. Some are as simple as just talking to them, and I guess "acciedentally" helping them regain their will to go on, and others as stressful as calling an ambulance to get them to the E.R. I'm very glad I was able to help those I did, though; each and every person I've saved is or was a very big part of my life.

Back
Top Bottom