Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

School project.

Junie

Planetoid
There is a new kid in school, a guy from the other side of the tracks. Everyone is scared of him, they hear he's some sort of criminal. Always wearing torn jeans and band tshirts under a leather jacket. He stays to himself mostly, but use the fact people are scared of him to his advantage. A few times a few of the jocks gang up on him. He just lets them do what they feel they need to and get on with his way. He is always sitting alone and normally either listening to music, writing in a notebook or both. Some haven't even heard him speak. He also is never seen without his leather jacket on. People rumor he has a bunch of tattoos and that's why he never reveals them in school. People are always talking bad things about him and wonder why he hasn't quit school yet. Some think if he is not a criminal his dad is. No one has even seen his parents, maybe he doesn't have any. The two get partnered up to do a project. Her friends pick on her and she starts to learn the real him, with some skeletons in the closet.

Jenny: https://images.alphacoders.com/226/226303.jpg

Checking her watch, Jenny hurriedly scooped up her backpack and tumbled off the bench she was sitting on in the school yard. Her friends giggled and rolled their eyes at her usual clumsiness before pulling her up and helping her stumble off down the hall. Brushing her bangs out of her face, she sweeps into the classroom just as the bell rings. Mr. Roberts gives her a disproving frown but allows her to slip into a chair at the back of the class. Dumping her bag next to her chair, she pulls out a fresh notebook and pen, poised and ready to be used as needed.

Jace was sitting on a picnic tablet writing in his notebook like he did many days before. His earbuds were in and he wasn't really paying attention to the other students in the courtyard. None of them really warranted any attention. He had one bud out to listen for the bell. When it went off he knew he had to take off for his next class. He put his stuff in his backpack and put it over his shoulder and got on his way.

He snuck in the back and sat in an open chair. Before long Jenny walked in and sat next to him. He looked her over but didn't think much of her. He grabbed his notebook out and went back to writing in it. A few of Jenny's friends gave her a look and motioned to Jace. They thought he was some criminal and honest some were scared of him. One asked if she was okay or if she needed a bodyguard. Jace looked up and just looked at the one giving the comments who shut up quick and turned around. He rolled his eyes and went back to working.

The teacher discussed it was time to start projects on taking care of a baby and that they'd do it paired up like a married couple. He started pairing people up.

Jenny nervously scribbled notes down on her paper, when Mr. Roberts called, "Morgan with Gabby, Jenny with Jace, Bobby with Sophie." She could hear her friends whispering behind their hands, giving her worried looks. Jenny bit her lip nervously as she slowly turned her chair towards Jace. Hugging her notebook against her chest she tried to talk but all that came out was a squeak. Clearing her throat she stuttered, "Sssoo, I I MMM JJJenny, I've seeeen you around school." Pulling out the work sheet she skimmed the questions. Taking a deep breath she summarized the project, "So it looks like we have to get to know each other, and tomorrow he'll be passing out the babies." She glanced up at at him, he wasn't bad looking, just very scary.

She wasn't exactly looking forward to this project but she was sure he couldn't be half as scary as people made him out to be. So Jenny made a promise to herself that she would make an effort to get to know Jace before she passed any judgments on him.

Jace looked at her friends who were whispering, he just shook his head and let them talk. No one knew him, nor did anyone take the time to get to know him. Once Jenny started talking he looked at her and could tell she was afraid of him. But why? Why was he so scary? The tattoos? The long hair? "But do you really want to get to know me?" He asked softly. "Your friends there won't stop staring...I would hate for you to get a bad reputation." His eyes shot over to Gabby who was staring at them and not really talking to her own partner.

He realized he seemed to be coming off as a jerk but with how he had been treated since they started, could anyone blame him. "What do you want to know?" He asked softly and put his notebook away and got out a different one. His other one was for his writings where this one he could write notes about their project in.

Jenny let out a nervous giggle and smoothed out the questionnaire, "I place way more importance on my grade then I do on my social status. Seeing as I want to pass this class, I guess I'm just going to have to deal with a bit of bad rep." She glanced over at at her friends who were now making frantic 'come here' motions with their hands. Jenny rolled her eyes and shook her head. Bringing her attention back to Jace, she shrugged, pushed the list aside, and leaned slightly forward. "You probably already know this but there are a lot of rumors going around about you." She glanced up at him and brushed her soft red hair back behind her ears. "Normally I believe there is a certain amount of truth behind every rumor but I'm going to assume you don't drown kittens in your free time." She give him a teasing smile before continuing. "So I guess my question is if you have any idea where all the rumors cam from and how much of them are true."

Jenny seemed pretty cool. She was more worried about school then how popular she was. He liked that. They did have that in common a bit too. He wasn't worried about how popular he was either. Jace leaned closer and looked shocked. "What?! There's rumors about me?!" He smiled and shrugged. "Maybe there is some truth behind it. No one has really taken the time or effort to find out." He shrugged on which ones were true or where they came from. "I figured they came from people not knowing me but thinking they do. My guess is 99.9% of them aren't true but I don't know all of them to know for sure. And I don't give out all my secrets right away." He ran his hand through hair and behind his ear.

Jenny's mouth quirked up into a smile at his sarcasm, "So, you know about the rumors. I guess they are kinda hard to miss." She shrugged and glanced around, "Assuming none of the rumors are true, I know absolutely nothing about you. Not even your last name." Her bright green eyes looked up into his as she tried to think of ways to get to know him without turning this into an interrogation. "What do you like to do on the weekends?" She asked lamely, feeling as if she were grasping at straws, trying to think of a good and interesting question for him. "I mean you don't have to tell me if you don't want to." She back tracked, not wanting to invade his privacy or step over some boundary she didn't know about.

He watched her. "I don't know anything about you either. I know that's most my fault as well. I haven't really tried to get to know anyone but when they make up rumors about you, they don't really want to get to know you so why bother." He shrugged. "Last name is Turner." He smiled. "Well let's see I love long walks on the beach, bubble baths, romantic dinners, and cuddling." Jace laughed a bit. "I like movies. Music. I play guitar. You?" No one really knew he liked to joke around and had a sense of humor.

Jenny laughed and scribbled, "Has a sense of humor" down on her paper. "You're very funny." She commented as she put down her pen and looked back up at him. She was just opening her mouth to ask what kinds of movies he liked when the bell rang startling her. "Shit!" She mumbled under her breath as she nearly fell out of her seat. "I hate that that sound." She sighed and hoped he hadn't noticed her jump. "Sorry, we barely even got to start." She frowned, "You wouldn't want to meet up after school would you?" She asked, then suggested meeting up at the pizza shop down the street after school.

He looked at her confused. "You hate that sound? That's the sound most kids our age love. It is the sound of freedom." He smiled. When Jenny asked if he'd want to get together after school his smile faded. "Um...I can't today. Maybe tomorrow after school though..." He looked around and it was clear he was nervous or uneasy about something. "Is that okay? If not I could probably call you tonight but I have to get home right after school." He put his things in his backpack and got up.

Jenny shrugged and mumbled something about not liking loud noises. Then her face fell when he said he couldn't do anything after school, but she quickly hid it and started packing up her backpack. "Yeah, tonight works, I just have to babysit tonight, so if I hang up on you its nothing against you. Someone may have just cut off a finger or something." She said with a wink. "You'll be here tomorrow right?" She asked hesitantly, "We have to figure out the whole baby thing and who's going to take care of it when." Shrugging on her backpack she waited for a response.

He looked at her confused. "We would never get along then. I love loud noises. They are called guitars and drums." He smiled. "Well I hope that no one cuts anything off. Where are you babysitting? Yeah I'll be here tomorrow. We can definitely figure that all out. How long do we have it for it?" Once he was all packed up he started to walk out with her as they talked. It was weird to be talking to someone while he was walking out of class. It was almost like he had a friend or something but he knew she was just talking to him for the project.

Jenny blushed a little and looked embarrassed, "It's just loud unexpected noises." She said trying to shrug it off and move on. Liking the change in subject she replied, "Just my little brothers and sister. My mom works a lot of nights and I get to play mini mom." She talked about her family with a loving fondness as she walked out the door with him. Pushing up her glasses and tucking her hair behind her ear she stopped outside the door knowing that they would have to part ways here. She pulled a sharpie from a key ring she had hooked on her backpack and looked up at him shyly from her short 5'4. Hesitantly, she reached out and took one of his wrists, bending over his hand she said, "Here's my number." and proceeded to write it down on his hand. "Don't forget to call me tonight, I'm gonna be hella pissed if you forget." She warned as she tried to look even the slightest bit frightening.

Jace smiled. "Ah so yeah big trouble if something gets cut off." He teased. There were a few scars on his wrists going different directions of different widths. "Alright. I won't forget. I'll call you. Maybe you are the one that drowns kittens." He teased and gave her a smile. "Later." He turned to head to his next class. Right after school Jace gets home. It's around 6:30 before Jase calls Jenny. He calls from his room where it would be quieter.

Jenny had just finished feeding and bathing the kids and had just sat them down in from of the TV when Jace called, "One sec." She said into the phone before yelling at her brother to turn the TV down. "Ok, sorry about that." she said as she walked into her bed room causing the noise of the TV to fade the farther she went. "I do believe it was your turn to ask about me." She reminded him as she curled up on her bed and snuggling into her pillows.

Jace laid on his back on his bed with music playing softly. "Hmmm. Do I get to ask anything I want?" He thought about it a moment. "Tell me something even your friends don't know about you." He wanted to know her on a bit different level than her friends. "Something like a guilty pleasure or something you may be embarrassed to admit. Like the fact you think I'm cute." He smiled and wished he could see her face.

Jenny giggled, "In your dreams." When in fact she did find him extremely cute. "Ok, something my friends don't know is that I like to watch My Little Pony. I like to say I watch it because my little sister likes it, but really its a guilty pleasure of my." Her cheeks flamed red as she admitted her secret love before adding, "That and I kinda maybe sorta really enjoy talking to you." She laughed nervously as she waited to see what his response would be.

He chuckled and Jace couldn't help but laugh harder about My Little Pony. "Yeah it's not your sister. Wow...I mean I like kid cartoons that are cool. Like Scooby Doo, old school GI Joe, stuff like that." He chuckled. "Wow make it sound convincing, 'kinda maybe sorta' Huh?" He smiled and got quiet for a moment. "I like talking to you too. I mean kinda maybe sorta." He shrugged, not that she could see him. "Why do you like talking to me?" He asked quietly and almost flirty.

Jenny blushed a red that rivaled her hair. "You're really funny..." She trailed off, failing to mention how hot she thought his tattoos were. "And actually pretty cool." she finished lamely as she searched her brain for ways to ask him if he to hang out without making it sound like a date. Coming up with nothing and losing her nerve to changed the subject back to the project. "So tomorrow we get a baby... What should we name it?" She asked playfully.

Jace smiled. "Thanks. You're pretty cool yourself. You're not like the other losers in school." He chuckled a bit. Part of him wanted to ask him he she was allowed to have company over while she babysat. It would be easier to hang out and talk about this stuff but it was cool either way. "Uh...Jenny are you asking me what we should name our child? I just met you...moving kind of fast aren't you?" He chuckled. "Well...both of our names start with J so why not Jay?" He shrugged. It was lame and cheesy and he knew it. "Or something cool like Angus. Like Angus Young from AC/DC. Or Slash. Or Jimmy Page." He chuckled.

Jenny laughed and rolled her eyes as the musician suggestions, "Jay will work just fine." She bit her lip as her mind was drawn back to the idea of asking him to hang out later. "So um.. I think you're pretty cool, you think I'm pretty cool... you wouldn't want to... maybe... do something some time... Not like a date or anything." She quickly clarified, "I know we are having a baby together an all." She giggled, "but eventually we will have to give it back and I'd kinda hate to lose contact with you." After getting it all out, she let out a small sigh of relief, feeling as if she had gotten something large off her chest.

He listened to her and grinned a bit. "Okay so...you want to hang out with me but not go on a date. Um. Thanks I guess..." He thought about it a moment and chuckled. "Yeah. I mean...for the kids sake we should totally hang out. I can hang out after school tomorrow. Where do you want to hang out?" Jenny was in fact pretty cool and he'd love to hang out with her sometime. "You do like me...don't even play." He teased and flirted a bit with a smile. "It's okay though, I won't tell anyone. But tell me more about you."

Jenny groaned, "I didn't mean it like that! You twist my words." She laughed anyway as she grinned into her pillow. "I've got to be honest, I'm always starving after school, you wanna get some pizza at Joe's after school? The pizza there is phenomenal." She went there almost every other day with her group of friends and could almost eat a whole pizza by herself. Then continued to answer his flirting, "I will neither confirm nor deny that statement." She said in a mock serious tone. "There's not really much to me. I live with my mom and my two brothers and one sister. My dad was not a nice guy and we are not going to even touch that again." she effectively shut down any questions he may have wanted to ask about her father. "Outside of that, I really don't have much free time because my mom works a lot which means I have to babysit." She sighed, "What about you?"

Jace liked pizza so he could easily go for pizza. "I could eat pizza I guess." He teased. Joe's was a place he hadn't gotten to try yet so it was cool to get to and to get to with a friend was that much better. He chuckled to her not denying or confirming that she liked him. Then it got serious. Part of him really wanted to ask about what made her dad a not nice kind of guy. But he respected her shutting it down. "Well..." He was afraid if he said too much she'd tell her friends and the entire school would know. She seemed nice but what if she just seemed that way to get information to expose who he really was to people. "My parents are divorced. I have an younger brother." He didn't know what else he should say at that moment. "We moved here for my step father's job. My mom works at the diner downtown." He sighed because his life wasn't that fascinating.

Back
Top Bottom