Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The Road is Long, The Profits High (Zeth and Erit of Eastcris)

Erit of Eastcris

Low-Rent Poet
The song of blue-jays and the sense of sunlight breaking through the curtains to fall upon his face was a fairly pleasant waking for the man who laid in bed in an inn that called itself "The Rusted Salmon", a faint scent of ale and eggs wafting up through the floor-boards to inform Lewin Calad's empty stomach that breakfast would be good. Storm-grey eyes opened and a broad, stubbled jaw cracked open in a groaning yawn, thick limbs with a mild dusky tan creaking with satisfied exhaustion as the former soldier stretched into a sitting position, or at least trying to. It was remarkably difficult to extricate himself from the embrace of his bedmate, the young woman whose name he didn't even know looking peaceful and content to lay on his broad and densely-muscled chest, certainly familiar with the sharp ends of things judging from the sparse patchwork of scars at varying degrees of age. On in particular, extending from his collarbone to just under his right arm, made it difficult to lift that arm above his shoulder most of the time. Another, older, more faded and presently hidden by the bedsheets and the body of his companion, wound its way from his left hip to the back of his knee, granting him a slight limp from when an axe-head had nearly taken the whole limb. He laid there for another moment, a small smile crossing his slender lips as he wallowed in the warmth of the woman atop him.

It was after that long, drawn-out moment that his belly protested its emptiness, and so Lewin gingerly lifted his bedmate from atop him, rising from the bed and dressing in the previous evening's attire of deep brown pants and boots, white shirt and green coat, flecks of red on the cuffs betraying the altercation last night that had ended with a woman bearing a fox's ears and tail crawling between the sheets with him. Her kind were prized for their exotic appearances, and had been hunted and exploited in many regions. But in Vitrun, the region that held the city of Pelloc which in turn housed the Rusted Salmon, there had been strict laws laid in place forbidding such trades. Hapless thugs with naught on their feeble mind but fortunes afar, however, were an omnipresent nuisance, and it was a cadre of such individuals which Lewin and his axe had left bloodied and humbled that night before ushering their would-be prey to within the walls of the city proper in the back of his cart, granting her some measure of protection while he attended to his own business of commerce in the city, selling off the many bales of wool he'd brought in and replacing them with barrels of salted trout fished up from the shores upon which Pelloc sat, named for the pelican birds which the fishermen used as guides to good harvest.

Once more fully dressed and decent, Lewin extended a hand towards the fox-lass lounging in bed still, giving her shoulder a mild shake. "There is breakfast to be had downstairs, little one," said the man of middling height but heavy build, "do you have plans to wake up for it?"

Kira was nestled contently against the warm chest of Lewin Calad. She had sneaked into his bed last night and was reluctant to leave. But when Lewin's stomach grumbled her own stomach let out an equally loud grumble of protest. Kira moved so so Lewin can get up and simply lazed on the bed while he got dressed.

"You know Lewin, with the things you did last night I am surprised you never found a human.. 'wife' already. Is wife the word I'm looking for?" she asked while he got ready. Upon the mention of food downstairs her ears instantly picked up. Within seeming seconds Kira was dressed in her yellow summer dress and sandals. She only bothered wearing clothes because they looked cute and to avoid awkward social situations with humans. "I plan on eating the first plate! I think I smell eggs and fish," replied Kira. She then gave Lewin a peck on the cheek and practically skipped down the stairs. Where did she get all that energy?

Seeing her dress and leave in a blitz, lacking only an audible whoosh as she bolted past him and down the stairs, left the soldier-come-merchant somewhat dazed and perplexed at her hyperactivity so early in the day. The mention of his lack of a spouse stung some, but not because Lewin was ashamed of his unmarried status, nor was he particularly lonely; he felt guilty that his mother and father had been so adamant he marry young and he had yet to do so. Lewin, with his mane of slightly-curled auburn hair falling around his ears, simply hadn't found the right woman for such a thing yet. And it wasn't like he could wed now, at any rate; the open road was a poor home for a spouse. It was with such matters in mind that he eventually shook sense back to his skull and followed after the woman whose name he did not know, taking a seat beside her and counting out a half-dozen silver coins for a meal each, eggs over-easy and fried halibut with bread and butter, a mug of hot cider each rounding the meal out. His companion drew a few odd looks, most folk still unused to the presence of the so-called "Wild Tribes" since their discovery and subsequent integration into society half a decade ago. Even had she not borne her unusual additions, though, Kira would cut an impressive figure and drawn the ire of many housewives. Lewin simply sighed and smiled, ignoring the other patrons and enjoying his breakfast.

"You know," he said suddenly, forkful of fish halfway to his mouth, "I never did ask your name. It is rather embarrassing, considering what we got up to last night, not knowing what to call you."

Kira acted blissfully unaware of the strange glances people gave her. Of course she knew they were there, but purposely acted like she didn't notice them. It was easier to ignore them then address them. She was an uncommon sight in human lands to begin with. Fox people were outnumbered by humans nearly 10 to 1.

Kira was shocked at first when he revealed he didn't know her name. She then remembered they didn't talk that much, so it didn't come up. "Kira Brown. But just call me Kira. I suppose since you bought me breakfast, I can forgive the late introduction," she said with a grin.

The storm-eyed man chuckled softly at her comment, taking a swig from his mug and a few more bites off his plate before continuing the conversation. "Well, miss Kira, I am certainly happy I ran into you when I did. It would be a shame for a pretty thing like you to be taken by scum like them. Though, where do you intend to go now?" He gestured with a hand, pointing towards her fairly simple garments and lack of luggage, "Forgive my rudeness, but you do not seem to have any means of providing for yourself in this town or on the road. Nor do you have a means of protecting yourself from vagabonds. You can not truly expect to survive off of the goodwill of passers-by, can you?"

Kira's face visibly soured upon hearing this. She then replied,"I am a Kitsune. We live in the forest usually like foxes. I took this form to talk to you and see if you had any chocolate cake or fried tofu for sale. Then those.. men sprang from nowhere. That was a once in a life time thing I am caught off guard like that. Thank you for saving me, but don't think I can't handle myself." Kira's face then brightened as she continued. "I had no where in particular to be honest. I am just wandering about. How about you Lewin?" she asked. The kitsune had already cleared her plate completely.

The retired infantryman bit back a sigh at the prideful retort of the woman across from him, resisting the urge to argue that being surprised was not a once-in-a-lifetime occurrence. No doubt she would neither listen nor appreciate his input. Wandering about would get her nowhere, and arguing with her would get him nowhere, so he let slide her commentary. "I," he answered after taking a moment to finish his own meal, "am headed south, through the desert outpost of Nis to sell off some of the fish I bought here and buy some of their tobacco before turning inland towards Vathon, where they will be holding a carnival to celebrate the inauguration of their new mayor in two week's time." He dabbed at his chin with a handkerchief, wiping a few errant beads of alcohol from his face. "After that I intend to rest a day or two to collect more information with which to plan my next course of action." He smiled, chuckling slightly, "If you happen to come across me at the festival, I'll be happy to buy you dinner while we swap tales of the road. You seem the type to have many strange adventures..." He gestured towards her large, triangular ears, "No offense intended, of course."

Kira just then made an impulsive decision. "I have never been to Nis before or Vathon. But I heard it is a site to see. May I tag along with you?" the fox girl asked. "Travelling get's cold and lonely at times. We could keep each other warm like last night," added Kira. She was currently giving Lewin her best adorable puppy dog look to make it harder to tell her no.

The pleading eyes were a nice touch, but Lewin simply smiled as a bemused little chuckle rumbled out from his throat. His large and calloused fingers laced together, clasped hands resting on the table as he stared at the woman opposite him for a moment, seeming to consider her suggestion. "Well," he began, "you would certainly be much safer with me than you would be on your own, and I am in this business so that I can see the world while hopefully making some money for myself. But, at the same time..." He leaned forward, raising those knitted knuckles to rest his chin upon them. "How do you propose to earn your keep, Kira? I am disinclined to believe you are willing to exchange sex for service; you do not seem a whore."

He sat there for just a breath, and before she could respond he continued. "I jest, of course. I can comfortably afford to keep the two of us for a time, and your company on the road will certainly make things less dreary." He extended a hand across the table, for shaking. "I will welcome you along so long as you don't cause trouble for my business. Agreeable?"

Kira knit her brow for a moment. "Earn my keep? Well I can play cards or dice to bring in money of that is what you mean," she said. Upon hearing the part about exchanging sex for services her tail straightened out in shock for a moment. The fox woman turned red and asked," People actually do that? I heard stories, but thought it was made up." The thought of getting money for sex was odd. Wasn't it supposed to be free and fun? Humans are weird.

Kira relaxed when he said he was joking. With a smile she reaches across the table and shakes his hand. "Agreed. I'll try not to cause trouble for you," she said.

Back
Top Bottom