Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Last Movie You Saw...

Dub and I watched "Zombieland" on Blue-ray last night since we added it to our collection.
If you have not seen it, do so now! I love Sean of the Dead, but this one is so much better.

I think tonight is "Blazing Saddles" and "Give 'Em Hell Malone".
I like comedies and noir.

Xiloscient said:
Just finished up From Dusk 'Till Dawn ~ And I had forgotten how awesomely off-the-wall that movie was.
Oh, that's an awesome flick. I actually randomly met a guy who played one of the costumed-up vamps in that film. Not a featured player, I don't think, but one of the background folks.

As far as kooky vamp flicks, I'm fond of Blood and Donuts, even though I've always spelled it "doughnuts" so "donuts" looks wrong to me.

The Gamers: Dorkness Rising.

The original The Gamers movie (available on YouTube) poked fun at some college tabletop RPG guys, with typical comedy results (and it got gloriously meta at the very end, which was also very funny). Several of the same actors return for this one, mostly in different roles (except for a cameo by Mark). It's also twice as long, an actual feature-length film. It's also marginally easier for non-tabletop-gamers to understand, in part because you've got a newbie player trying to understand what's going on, and you've got typical hack-and-slash players functioning along with her attempt at role-playing. In many ways, it's like the Knights of the Dinner Table, a cartoon strip about table-top gaming that's been going on for near 20 years now, what with a GM trying to create drama and art, a new female player coming in with a desire to actually role-play, and the trio of old hands: the lunkhead, the rules lawyer, and the easily-bored troublemaker.

There's a lot of good comedy, from the guy who keeps wanting to play a character and race that the GM has disallowed, to the new player figuring out her first combat (and we see how it works in the game as the players voice-over what they're doing). One of the guys is playing female, but keeps forgetting that, so the "in game" segments alternate between him in a dress and the woman playing his character. And the lunkhead decides to stretch his roleplaying skills a bit and plays a bard... who gets killed at least fifty times, if not more. Hooray for a Staff of Resurrection!

They have a much larger budget this time through, and it shows. They also got a lot of direct cooperation from Wizards of the Coast, the guys who own D&D, and so they got licensing to use actual D&D products, they got permission from other companies to use specific products, etc. All in all, pretty hilarious, actually. Recommended for everyone, highly recommended if you've ever played or been curious about tabletop role-playing games.

Seriously MM, I never recognize any movie that you talk about, ever. You have more eccentric taste then I do and people I know have never heard of the movies I watch.

Last movies I FULLY watched (I have this habit of starting a movie and then finishing it later) was Flatliners. I thought it was going to be scary, like screaming-wet-your-pants scary, but it wasn't. There were a few times I jumped, but other then that I really enjoyed it. An AMAZING cast of actors and they all play their roles wonderfully. And to top it all off, I watched it with my friend <3

I love The Gamers movies. Ironically enough a group of us were discussing watching them before OwlCon in two weeks. The second one was better than the first...and I hardly say that about a movie.

Rubyliday said:
Seriously MM, I never recognize any movie that you talk about, ever. You have more eccentric taste then I do and people I know have never heard of the movies I watch.

Last movies I FULLY watched (I have this habit of starting a movie and then finishing it later) was Flatliners. I thought it was going to be scary, like screaming-wet-your-pants scary, but it wasn't. There were a few times I jumped, but other then that I really enjoyed it. An AMAZING cast of actors and they all play their roles wonderfully. And to top it all off, I watched it with my friend <3
Well, your statistical sample might be skewed, because when I see something like The Dark Knight or District 9 or the Star Trek reboot, I don't need to draw anyone's attention to it, because everybody already knows about it. Whether they've seen it or not is their own biz. It's when I see a little arthouse film, or a DTDVD film, or something weird or something older or what have you -- that's when I feel the need to mention it, because more people ought to know about such films, and most of what I see these days is on Netflix, anyway.

Besides, Brick was a reasonably mainstream theater release when it came out, it just didn't get any advertising, which is a damn shame, because I think it's awesome.

Anyway, point is: I watch regular movies like anyone else. I just... don't always talk about 'em, because they're assumed.

Mr Master said:
Rubyliday said:

Well, your statistical sample might be skewed, because when I see something like The Dark Knight or District 9 or the Star Trek reboot, I don't need to draw anyone's attention to it, because everybody already knows about it. Whether they've seen it or not is their own biz. It's when I see a little arthouse film, or a DTDVD film, or something weird or something older or what have you -- that's when I feel the need to mention it, because more people ought to know about such films, and most of what I see these days is on Netflix, anyway.

Besides, Brick was a reasonably mainstream theater release when it came out, it just didn't get any advertising, which is a damn shame, because I think it's awesome.

Anyway, point is: I watch regular movies like anyone else. I just... don't always talk about 'em, because they're assumed.

I didn't mean to offend you.

Rubyliday said:
Mr Master said:
Rubyliday said:

I didn't mean to offend you.
:lol: You totally didn't! I was just explaining why it seems like I'm all weird-movie guy. I am, kinda, but I also watch other stuff. I got plenty of mainstream stuff in my collection. I just wanted to explain; I'm not offended in any way, shape, or form, but I can't take credit for it, either.

Last two Movies I've seen

Legion, Was fucking epic as hell

Edge Of Darkness, Very good loved how it had calm parts then the action came out of no where, but a little to much blood for me.

Just finished watching the first two Die Hard movies.

All I have to say is, I still wish Airport security was as lax as it was in DH2. ^_^

I went with a friend to see: The Lovely Bones, it was a sad movie. It wasn't necessarily a bad movie but I left the theater feeling unsatisfied I guess would be the appropriate word. But the visuals in it were absolutely amazing.

Since I work at a movie theater, its safe to say I have seen every single move that's come and gone from theaters in the past seven months of my employment.

But the most recent was the Book of Eli. A very good movie, actually. But Avatar was better, and I really enjoyed the Lovely Bones. I'm going to see When in Rome tomorrow, and I'm hoping its as funny as everyone says it is.

Xiloscient said:
Mr Master said:
I just actually watched this today (and the first one) after reading the description from you. I absolutely loved it. I've been a D&D player since 3.0 came out, and it was really funny seeing it from that sort of angle. ^_^
Yeah, turns out both are available on YouTube. I'm glad you liked it; I think the Dead Gentlemen film collective needs more support, and these movies really show the funny elements of the table-top experience. They're just lots of fun, really. Better if you game, but still funny if you just know ABOUT it.

Want a hilarious DnD movie?
Gamers!
I rented it back when I had netflix because it was about dnd and it was hilarious! It's a mock documentary about a dnd group breaking a record. It pokes fun at all the dnd stereotypes about the players.

Just saw Legion with my dad last night. Much more awesome than I expected. I also learned that when under stress, even the most hardcore miss their rocket shots.

Back
Top Bottom