Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Last Movie You Saw...

Just watched Coherence! A lovely mind screw! This one fucks you gently, though. Existentialism that calls you in the morning.

Hmmmmmm, last film I saw was Xmen Apocalypse I believe. Some parts felt a bit rushed or skimmed over...but did get me to listen to Eurythmics-Sweet dreams more (if you see it you'll understand ;))

I watched the three-hour long Batman vs Superman: Ultimate Edition, in the hope the extra half-hour might improve the original film's incoherent mess. Lo and behold, it did! In fact the extended scenes add a lot to the movie and give it a much more solid story. I still didn't like the overall film that much, but all the things that were great - especially Batfleck and Wonder Woman - were even better this time around. Also it seems I'm the only person in the world who likes Amy Adam's Lois Lane - but feisty redheads are my kryptonite.

The Castle 2.75/5 [I laughed less than I'd like in a comedy, but I thought the whole experience was weirdly enjoyable]

Coherence 5/5 [Thanks Rudolph Quin! One of the best scifi movies I've ever seen]

Forbidden Fruit said:
The Castle 2.75/5 [I laughed less than I'd like in a comedy, but I thought the whole experience was weirdly enjoyable]

Coherence 5/5 [Thanks Rudolph Quin! One of the best scifi movies I've ever seen]

Glad you liked it! Definitely one of the smarter, more compelling films I've seen that was made in recent years and it didn't need any flashy effects or big budget sets to do it.

Watched Galaxy Quest and made myself miss Alan Rickman. Not one of his best, by far, but really fun movie and Tim Allen playing his tropes just gives me the warm fuzzies.

The Big Short

Reminds me heavily of The Wolf of Wall Street in that I barely have any concept of what they're saying - if they didn't make sad faces and scream when bad things happened, I wouldn't know something bad happened. I don't know what it is with business and money numbers but my eyes go glassy and I hear static when they start talking about that sort of crap; the celebrity explanations at key points did not help("Hey, Margot Robbie is in this one too!" is literally what I got out of the scene where she's in a bathtub). So, for almost 2 hours, I got a sort of entertainment and pleasure out of big name celebs emoting and acting with barely a concept of story or drama to cling to. At the very least, I found WoWS's much more fun because of Leo's insane antics on screen. Also, I like the song by Led Zeppelin that plays during the end credits: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddpl1zl5sYg

Suicide Squad [2.5/5]

I'll start by saying I was never a huge fan of superheroes. I regularly watch Marvel movies, and I think this is one of my few experiences with DC. I'm not biased towards Marvel or against DC. I was very excited when the title was first teased and the cast was being announced, and then my hype went down as time passed so I went to the movie with zero expectations - which is always good (I've not even read a single review before watching it). My little sister and brother are huge DC/Marvel fans and they loved the movie. They went as far as to compare it with Guardians of the Galaxy.

But I didn't. I thought many scenes were super cheesy, the lines were terrible, the directing ruined many moments as several scenes seemed anticlimactic and out of order; they seemed like they were just 'stuffed in' last minute. I thought the plot wasn't brought to scenes really well. Slow motion killed many action sequences. The Joker was terrible. It's not as bad as the new Fantastic Four, but its definitely not good. Even Antman was better than this.

Will Smith was great, and Margot Robbie would deserve a 10/10 if it wasn't for her Aussie accent creeping in randomly (Or maybe its just in my head?). I'd like to add I really respect the effort and the idea of the movie. Its really fun exploring this plot and seeing how the bad guys would act if pressured into being good. I'm tired of seeing the goody-goody superheroes come out every year and kill catch the bad guys as if they were doing their homework.

Sorry for the vagueness, I just don't want to give out spoilers. Also, you might like it - don't take me too seriously. I'm just a snobby movie critic that's hard to please.

Green Room is a visceral, whiteknuckle thriller that's almost entirely contained within a very small space. A group of young punks find themselves trapped by a pack of murderous skinheads, and a brutal fight for survival results. Some stunning performances: poor old Anton Yelchin is the lead (what a loss he is); the adorable Imogen Poots really slums it to play a reluctant ally; and Patrick Stewart gives the perfomance of his life as the utterly evil leader of the skinheads. Definitely not for the faint-hearted.

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKdVYUXyBzU[/video]​

I just rewatched A Better Tomorrow, which was (if I remember right) John Woo's directorial debut. It's a thoughtful Hong Kong gangster flick from the early 80s, revolving around a successful gangster trying to go straight in order to make peace with his younger brother (an idealistic Police Inspector). It's got a lot fewer fight scenes than I thought I remembered, but the ones that show up are fast and brutal. And Chow Yun Fat really shines as a crippled hitman.

But then, Chow Yun Fat is a god.

Last movie I watched was Gattaca. Great performances collaborate around a poignant dystopian plot where only those who have been 'perfectly genetically engineered' get to fulfil their lives' ambitions. Or maybe not...

Suicide Squad. It was pretty solid, in my opinion. Not as good as I thought it'd be, but not bad at all. Top 3 comic book movies for 2016 so far.

1. Deadpool
2. Civil War
3. Suicide Squad

Justice League War

Its a newer animated [almost anime style] movie on Netflix. Pretty good in my opinion. Characters are grittier than how I remember them in the JL cartoon growing up especially. Especially LOVE Cyborg's origins with this one!

Back
Top Bottom