Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

What Scares You?

Rudolph Quin

Mistaken for some sort of scoundrel
Withdrawn
What are some things that really frighten you? Naturally, we all have a fear of death, so let's just skip that one.

________________​

I'm scared of the unnatural. I have a real problem with the Uncanny Valley to the point where just accidentally watching a clip of the ending reveal of Sleepaway Camp had me terrified of walking into the darkened hallway on the way to the bathroom. Even though the likelihood of Angela Baker lurking in my house, growling and hissing like a creature gone mad, is incredibly low(the fact that I showed it to my siblings, ages 12-18, and they laughed their asses off just pinpoints further that this is something I'm particularly affected by). I'll admit, I still have nightmares about Titans and that baby-thing in Eraserhead.

What scares Blue Moon?

This'll probably make me sound like a narcissistic edgelord, but the thing that scares me most is actually being afraid at all; I don't respond to being scared by crying or fleeing or soiling myself, but with rage and violence. When that fear is a physical threat it's all well and good as far as blind furies go, but when it's something emotional or personal, like someone close to me whom I've come to rely on giving me reason to doubt them? Then it becomes a problem, and it's been a problem that I've wrestled with for years now. I've burned a lot of bridges because of it, in fact.

Oh, and jumping spiders. Fuck those bastards.

My brother is like that, actually. Extremely unflappable under pressure and reacts with a meaty fist in the face of danger, either to himself or loved ones. So, I'll believe it. And hey, you know me and spiders.

I'm not scared by the prospect of death, but I am scared by the thought of the process it'll take to get there, particularly after witnessing the pain, suffering and indignities my Father went through in his last year.

However, other general fears, not one's that keep me awake at night, but my worst nightmares if they were to ever eventualise, are:

Fire, being burnt to death. I can't think of any more agonising way to go.

Being incarcerated, and losing my freedom. Independence and autonomy, both mental and physical, is probably the most important aspect in my life and values system; it flows into everything I do and think.

Going blind. I can't conjure images or colours in my mind, so without a working pair of eyes, my world would be entirely black.

Truth. Something like Alzheimer's would be terrible to go through or similarly degenerative diseases.

Fire inspires a lot of fear for me as well. Even not just burning to death but fire itself. I'm an artist and keep around portfolios of old work, basically pieces of me(I still have BMR comics in a folder, in a trunk at the end of my bed). So, if the house was on fire, I'd get family and pets out but then risk death to go back in for my old paintings. Irreplaceable things, snapshots of who I was at those moments in time. Finding them burned and destroyed might be very traumatic for me.

I find your fear of incarceration and blindness interesting and I can certainly understand the blindness thing being especially horrific because of the way you visualize, as you've explained it before. I've been...well, "caged" before and find that I get very used to it rather quickly. Then again, despite being a Leo, I'm a big follower; being put in a prison of some kind would be a bit like living like a cat for me.

Being emotionally alone. Feeling like I have no one to provide mental or emotional support, and having no one to understand me, is probably my biggest fear. I don't like holding things in or having to stew on them by myself; friends listening to me ramble about life are one of the things that keep me sane.

And this one may seem silly and generic, but I'm afraid of rejection. I never understand when people just don't care about being rejected from a job application, school, romantic interest... Not because it makes me feel as if there's anything wrong with me, but because, for a time, it makes me feel alone and drained of energy from how much time and effort I had invested into whatever that thing was. It's not so bad to that it extends to roleplay requests, but it applies to most major decisions in my life.

The last one is losing my voice. I love talking to people (just talking in general, haha), saying hello to strangers; I love how expressive voices can be. Even names sound different every single time a different person says them. Having studied opera and music for a majority of my life, having it taken away would be like losing an intimate part of myself, one that defines me, one that I know extremely well. The loss of my voice also severely limits communication, and that thought it extremely scary to me.

Mr Quixotic said:
I'm not scared by the prospect of death, but I am scared by the thought of the process it'll take to get there, particularly after witnessing the pain, suffering and indignities my Father went through in his last year.

This is also how I feel about death.

The thing that scares me most is failure. I'm a very career-driven person, and I'd feel absolutely devastated if I couldn't reach the places I aspire to be in one day.

As with Aria, rejection is also something that would take a toll on me.

Water. Having any on my face is the absolute worst. I deal, because it's kind of non-optional, but I loathe it completely. I think it's mostly because I don't float...

I used to fear nothing until four years ago when my daughter was born. Now I have a list fifty miles long of fears and they all revolve around her. It's a sobering experience becoming a parent.

One of my fears are far too intimate in detail for GD, so I'll just say this: I can't live alone anymore.

Other than that, I fear hornets, roaches/water bugs, and now I'm scared of mosquito bites with this Zika disease going around. Of course it had to be when I was pregnant, too, and I don't live very far from Miami where they have found 10 infected people and are now advising pregnant women to not travel there.

Princess Pittooey said:
Other than that, I fear hornets, roaches/water bugs, and now I'm scared of mosquito bites with this Zika disease going around. Of course it had to be when I was pregnant, too, and I don't live very far from Miami where they have found 10 infected people and are now advising pregnant women to not travel there.

Jesus, that sounds terrible. Best wishes to you and the little one, though!

For the more mundane-- spiders, clowns, and heights over four stories. Fuck everything about spiders.

For the more "interesting" I've always had a fear of spiral staircases. No idea why but I hate them and when I was forced to use one as a child with a whole line of kids behind me I literally tried to go back down. Which was impossible but I still tried.

Being sane inside my mind but outwardly appearing crazy to everyone else is another. Not being able to explain that I'm not insane and being locked away is terrifying to me. I understand there's not a great possibility of this happening, though. Also in the same vein, losing my faculties. My brain is my most prized possession and even though we have a love/hate relationship I would not be me without it. If I happened to get Alzheimer's I would honestly rather die. Harsh but true. Sad part is it runs in my family.

I'm actually afraid of a lot of things to the point of being rather...paralyzed in life currently. Failure being the highest on the list. I'm so afraid of failing at certain things because of past experiences that I cannot force myself to try them again. Which is pretty pathetic but I'm working on it at least!

Failure and rejection seem to be big ones among this crowd and I admit that one has bitten at my ankles as well. Mine currently, revolving around trying to write my own book, almost becomes like a fear of my own greatness or realizing my potential because I associate so many bad things with responsibility.

The crazy/losing your mind thing is actually pretty typical of those with mental disorders, since a lot of treatment energy is spent on convincing someone unbalanced that something is wrong. We're much more likely to cling to our own version of reality, internalized than that presented by an outsider. That being said, there are tons of things you can do to combat the onset of Alzheimer's, isn't there? Like brain teasers and puzzles, reading, staying physically active?

Needing the approval and support of others as an absolute essential of my emotional diet. I'd hate that lack of self autonomy and to be always reliant on others who, let's face it, can disappear in the blink of an eye.

An Islamic Holocaust.

I have nightmares about it.

And no, I'm not Muslim.
But to me, the scariest thing in the world is the inhuman hatred of mankind.
Racism (even racism that is religious) is my enemy.

Edit: I'm also obsessed with World War II and have studied it for years.
I fear history will repeat itself. The psychology behind the Third Reich and the antisemitism movement is truly and utterly terrifying.

Yes! Bees and wasps! I totally forgot about them!

Another thing I can think of is getting lost in projections, where my desire to "not be that ___" overwhelms me to the point where I never realize how close I've come to being that thing.

i used to be scared of basic shit; heights, and getting into any contraption that went at a high velocity that i couldn't control (like cars, or roller coasters as i unfortunately discovered this summer). the dark scared me quite a bit too, but that's because i grew up with a pretty open mind. and no night lights. you see some shit in your childhood, and the idea of monsters lurking in the shadows is a very possible thing.

but now? the government scares the fuck out of me - fuck every other fear i've ever had. the government and their unimaginable secrets.

and maybe still the dark, a bit. eyes still play tricks on me~

Victorian_Virtue said:
I constantly think about my finances and am scared I will die broke and that to me is a horrifying thing.

I've always found this fear in people fascinating. I've heard this statement so many times... To "die broke", and I've never personally understood it. You'll be dead! Your finances won't matter. :D though, I do understand this fear is often rooted in a bigger issue, such as not being able to provide for your family (when you pass, your finances usually roll over to a family member, obviously).

Temptationist said:
I've always found this fear in people fascinating. I've heard this statement so many times... To "die broke", and I've never personally understood it. You'll be dead! Your finances won't matter. :D though, I do understand this fear is often rooted in a bigger issue, such as not being able to provide for your family (when you pass, your finances usually roll over to a family member, obviously).

Lol, I never thought of it that way, but yeah, dying is expensive.

Thought of another one for myself. I kinda fear the doctor. Not like, wimpy whiny, gotta drag me in kicking and screaming and sedate me, but a general nervousness and wariness of them. I've had more useless doctors than good ones over the years and rarely go anymore unless absolutely necessary. But ever since I saw the stats for the actual cause for the most amount of deaths in this country, I kind of pray I never have to go for anything big.

Victorian_Virtue said:
I think subconsciously I associate money with freedom. Money lets me buy whatever I want to buy when I want to buy it. So somehow I associate money with freedom and lack of money (to me) means my freedom is being taken from me.

I know I sound like a pompous jerk, but I am just responding.

I don't think it's pompous.
But it does serve as a sort of unfortunate reminder of the materialism that plagues many societies. Especially in North America.

There is a degree of financial well-being that is needed to achieve happiness, however. But that financial module caps off at about 70,000 dollars. Essentially providing enough to live comfortably as well as enough to travel occasionally. Once individuals peak over the 70k annual salary mark, their happiness doesn't increase anymore. In fact, it often begins to plummet.

Edit: I will add that this stat is based on a combined annual house salary. It's not individual. Example, it does not mean that both individuals in a couple require a 70k salary. But rather than the combined salary resulting in about 70k is sufficient. I will also add the the study is a few years older. So, due to inflation, that happiness salary mark may be a bit higher now just due to increased cost of living.

It may be rather cliche but I'm afraid of spiders. I love all sorts of creepy monsters and tentacles and other horrors, but for some reason spiders freak me out and I am always terrified they are going to bite me.

Lady Rinne said:
It may be rather cliche but I'm afraid of spiders. I love all sorts of creepy monsters and tentacles and other horrors, but for some reason spiders freak me out and I am always terrified they are going to bite me.

I got bit by a spider 3 times.

The last one was a couple months ago, in bed. Chomped on to my elbow and caused an allergic reaction. (I'm most likely allergic to the standard house spider) - my skin was swollen and pushing the ink from my tattoos up so they were embossed. Lasted two weeks.

But honestly the spider bite just felt like a mosquito.

Back
Top Bottom