Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Pathfinder (CLOSED)

kckolbe

Banned
Banished
I am currently setting up a pathfinder game running the Crimson Throne Adventure Path. Due to a couple of drops, we find ourselves with only three players (and me), and, to be a touch coarse, a lack of women interested in men.

This is not a smut heavy game, but I have found that group games on adult sites run a little more smoothly when everyone feels that smut has more potential to happen. Below is the original post. Please PM me or post here if you are interested. I do not care about the gender of the player, just the character.

Hello folks. I am interested in running the Crimson Throne adventure path. I am looking for a small group of active participants for this. As with all my games, I enjoy seeing a lot of discussion regarding characters and how they know each other, feel about each other, etc. I don't require class "roles" to be filled, but I don't want people designing chars without trying to consider what works with the other chars being worked on.

If interested, let me know what kind of campaigns you enjoy, any preferences regarding character types (not mechanical), posting frequency/length, and anything else you want to include.

RE: Pathfinder - Crimson Throne

Would likely be interested.

I like a fairly frequent posting rate (daily ideally but often have to deal with longer).
For the game I frequently plan non-heroic characters, i.e people that want to be paid or focus on personal goals rather than general altruism.

Given the forum we are on I will specify that while sex and all that goes with it is good and well I like a good story and there to be more to the game than just that. But am fairly flexible regarding most things.

Also happy to group with others (is a group game after all), but when posting doesn't sync between players I often feel that splitting the party to allow different rates to accomplish different goals allows for the game to run smoothly.

Not sure if you want character concepts yet got a couple running around my head - but depending on if people wanted to be villians/neutral/heroes/a mix etc different ideas might be taken.

My personal preference for grouping is where the characters know each other well before hand - decade long friends/family/guild members etc, so that they can put up with the eccentricities of the others like only people who know each other for decades do.

dancrilis said:
Not sure if you want character concepts yet got a couple running around my head - but depending on if people wanted to be villians/neutral/heroes/a mix etc different ideas might be taken.

Thanks for jumping in.

Very rough character concepts are okay and even appreciated. For example, I generally enjoy playing male city-dwellers in the "neutral" alignments that are split between two or more generic roles. Hope that helps.

I would be interested, though I suppose I'd ask for more of a breakdown on the campaign idea. I know of the Crimson Throne AP, but how you'd adapt it for this adult-style play is needed before I could come up with a solid character concept.

I think I would be interested in joining this...have absolutely zero idea on what I would want to play so I guess I could fill a hole the team needs.

Gromnar said:
I would be interested, though I suppose I'd ask for more of a breakdown on the campaign idea. I know of the Crimson Throne AP, but how you'd adapt it for this adult-style play is needed before I could come up with a solid character concept.

I wouldn't change all that much, to be honest. Certain NPCs may be a bit cruder and more lecherous than initially written, though not by much. I'd say that the majority of smut will likely be between PCs, so I will be attempting to keep some balance in genders.

kckolbe said:
Gromnar said:

I wouldn't change all that much, to be honest. Certain NPCs may be a bit cruder and more lecherous than initially written, though not by much. I'd say that the majority of smut will likely be between PCs, so I will be attempting to keep some balance in genders.

For those of us that don't know the source material mind giving us a brief write up on the story or something we can use to put together character concepts?

kckolbe said:
Very rough character concepts are okay and even appreciated. For example, I generally enjoy playing male city-dwellers in the "neutral" alignments that are split between two or more generic roles. Hope that helps.

Cool been reading the players guide to have some ideas.

I tend to play a character over a role, so can be happy playing almost any actual role providing I am happy with the character I have ... which isn't really helpful to you.

So my thoughts in lieu of other ideas might be to go the magical criminal method - not the good natured rogue but more the back room manipulator building their power.

Normally I tend to go with a female character and often NE (leaning towards Neutral) or TN (leaning towards Evil). But I do like such characters to have loyalties/friendships etc beyond themselves. But can play characters of any alignment really.

As an aside I do like philosophical debate about the issue of alignment in game - for example having two characters sit down and discuss when murder is acceptable, how treatment of captives should be handled etc.
Having characters discuss hypotheticals as friends before they come up (if they ever do) I think feels more organic.

I could see a group for example having a once a week dinner session where they just talk about matters from there goals, adventures they heard about etc, but also the weather, the local news, what they think of the new bartender and the quality of drink and other items that just add flavour.

Thinking about getting involved along with lilwhiterabbit, but I have a few questions. One, what books are we allowed to draw character stuff out of? Two, do you have any restrictions you'd like to put on creation? Three, any ground rules for party interaction?

Other than those questions, I'm very intrigued, and I'd love to play. I'm thinking some kind of fallen paladin type, or very sketchy paladin/knight akin to the old shadowbane inquisitor type. He'll deal with evil as long as he gets to smite the crap out of some evil. Along the way, he's a little rough around the edges and has some bad habits, but his heart is (mostly) in the right place... Just his methods aren't exactly the face whatever organization he happens to (or used to) work for want their name attached to.

I like not spelling out morality for the players as well. I won't spoil too much, but there are a lot of in-game decisions to be made where a character's true colors can show. And there will be down time allowing for any discussion, and welcome such interaction.

Currently, I am only allowing stuff from paizo's reference site (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/) published by paizo. I'm not opposed to adding 3rd party rules, but I will note that quite a bit of the 3rd party stuff seems unbalanced to me.

I will have house rules for char creation, but don't want to dive into that yet.

As for ground rules for party interaction, I will want each character to be tied to others in the group, and will be using my best judgement as to whether or not players are working toward such a goal. I try to avoid including zealots on either side. Not sure if that is what you were asking.

Might do a follower of Calistria. Not sure on what class yet.

Nope, I think that about covers it. I'm onboard. I just don't much care for "everyone for themselves" campaigns. I get that this isn't supposed to be all sunshine, daisies, and cooperation, but at the same time a party that's constantly trying to undermine each other and backstab one another just gets frustrating and becomes more tedious than fun.

The anti-zealotry makes sense. I'll have to reconsider my character concept a bit and see what you've got for us as far as character creation goes before I make up my mind on changing him entirely. Still curious what the rest of the party has in mind, as well.

Manwithdarkdesires said:
Still curious what the rest of the party has in mind, as well.

Well I am still up in the air but thinking Sorcerer - involved with the thieves guild offering some limited magical support and seeking to move up the organisation.

Thinking about going a bit against type - as a lay worshiper she would not need to match the alignment of her deity so might pick a deity who might not match on alignment for a cleric, and than being somehwhat devote by paying tithes etc from her share of loot.
So might have an NE sorcerer worshiper of Shelyn as the dicotomy might be interesting to RP.

So essentially I would have the equivalant of a climbing mafia member who attends church services faithfully - and happilly ignores the scripture they need to for the job.

But all depends on what kckolbe decides.

The first house rule actually pertains to race. I've always felt some were significantly stronger than the rest. Rather than choose one of the races (which are built from between 5 and 15 RP), you build your own with 10 RP. I arrived at this number by taking the starting races and averaging them out, which came out to 10 race points. In the situation that two people build the same race, but build them differently, the difference will be explained as geographical/cultural.

The sorcerer sounds very interesting. Perhaps her parents were worshipers of Shelyn (who is quite prominent), leading to her continued devotion. I am guessing that you plan on investing in social skills, possessing very little prowess in traditional thievery.

Interesting. So we can make our own races? Ok. I might play around with something and get back to you.

Gromnar said:
Interesting. So we can make our own races? Ok. I might play around with something and get back to you.

Yes. The rules for doing so are here: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/other-rules/creating-new-races

Note: Defensive training abilities are not allowed. Will add others later.

I am interested as well. I tend to play either males who are urbanites, socially motivated on the neutral to evil end of the scales. Bard or Rogue types usually, though in this case given the location of the city interested in possibly smuggling and/or being involved with piracy.

Though my other type is more of the beat stick for other characters to point him at something and he goes and smash. Your fighter or barbarian sort. These can be good, neutral or evil depending on the style of campaign.

I would like to play a Cavalier someday but the class is so weak and not that I need to play a powerful character, its just their abilities are so situational.

Jagd, if you want a Cavalier feel without the odd, situational ability set, may I recommend Horse Lord Ranger archtype? It comes with the great general skills of the ranger and the beloved horse abilities of the cavalier. It even says in the description for the horse lord that their skills make cavaliers jealous.

I would also like to play as well, though I haven't the foggiest what to do yet. Ill have to read through the concepts and the players guide before I can make something the syncs well with the group and my playstyle.

Thanks, sirix! It does look like a way of being relevant more often. This however is a more urban campaign so I think running around on a horse may not be such a good idea here. Though I could eventually join one of the guard forces on a hippogriff. Hm.

Jagd said:
I would like to play a Cavalier someday but the class is so weak and not that I need to play a powerful character, its just their abilities are so situational.

Cavalier is one of several classes that I have attempted 0 times.

Also, just want to add a quick reminder to read the first post.

Let me try to cover some of the questions from the first post.

So my posting length varies from three short paragraphs on up.

With any of my character types I usually play (listed above), I think they would work well with dancrilis' mafia-esque type character. My rogue/bard idea would be either friendly rival or non-arcane support person within the organization, my fighter/barbarian would be beat stick tough who at times has taken enforcer or such jobs from the mafia group, while if I decided to go Ranger-Horse Lord to then join the Sable Company Marines its more of a corrupt towns guard who helps with information and such to get his cut of the profits. The last two also I think could have worked alongside Manwithdarkdesires concept as well depending on where that goes.

Actually several players have brought up religion, many of us could share a favorite deity. Wouldn't that be sweet, we all go to church together. Other commonalities are the old standby, they all enjoy the same tavern, grew up near each other, been on an adventure before, perhaps were part of a military campaign and had an old buddy die during the campaign, so each checks up on the old war buddies widower. Just throwing out some ideas.

kckolbe said:
The sorcerer sounds very interesting. Perhaps her parents were worshipers of Shelyn (who is quite prominent), leading to her continued devotion.
Possible I am avoiding a detailed backstory for now so as not to cut down on potential discussion.

kckolbe said:
I am guessing that you plan on investing in social skills, possessing very little prowess in traditional thievery.
Yea that is what I am thinking alright.

kckolbe said:
Yes. The rules for doing so are here: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/other-rules/creating-new-races
Ok my thinking is to stay simple and go with the standard human: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/other-rules/creating-new-races#example-human
Which would be 9RP, than remove 'Linguist 1 RP' in for 'Standard 0 RP' and than either upgrade Ability Score Modifiers from 'Human 0 RP' to 'Flexible 2 RP' or else to take more class skills or a static bonus feat.
I know that ditching 'Flexible bonus feat' for '2 static bonus feats' makes more sense ... but seems like gaming the system for a particular character rather than making a 'real' human varient.
So just want your opinion of maximising benefits over not?

Jagd said:
My own personal take is if you like the idea don't worry about the powerlevel of it - that just adds roleplay opportunities (and if the DM wants to squash the PCs like bugs it will happen anyway :) ).
Also if the group has access to the abilities it would make sense for us to ensure that the situations where they are useful come up.

Jagd said:
With any of my character types I usually play (listed above), I think they would work well with dancrilis' mafia-esque type character. My rogue/bard idea would be either friendly rival or non-arcane support person within the organization, my fighter/barbarian would be beat stick tough who at times has taken enforcer or such jobs from the mafia group, while if I decided to go Ranger-Horse Lord to then join the Sable Company Marines its more of a corrupt towns guard who helps with information and such to get his cut of the profits. The last two also I think could have worked alongside Manwithdarkdesires concept as well depending on where that goes.
Either would work well.

Jagd said:
Actually several players have brought up religion, many of us could share a favorite deity. Wouldn't that be sweet, we all go to church together. Other commonalities are the old standby, they all enjoy the same tavern, grew up near each other, been on an adventure before, perhaps were part of a military campaign and had an old buddy die during the campaign, so each checks up on the old war buddies widower. Just throwing out some ideas.
I do understand that there is within the Crimson Throne an amount of at least initial focus against someone who has wronged us - which we could expand into a group background (without needing to pick the same issue with the enemy).

My thinking at the moment might be something like this - the group were effectively on the streets together at some point in there lives, and while this might have been long ago for some they have maintained as friends.
For Example: If someone went on to be a LG guard they would look the other way for an old friend (providing that friend is not being overly bad - and they might feel bad about it leading to words between them later), similiarly a CE mob enforcer might come to aid the guard if they are being set on in a bad neighbourhood (but expect they to leave peacefully after that - even if they were excessive in providing that aid, and not be happy that they had to go against the community they live in - again leading to words later).
The way that the above might play out over years is the LG guard casually mentions that the CE enforcer might be better staying away from certain things at certain times, and the CE enforcer might do some leg work for the LG guard thereby preventing them from needing to enter what would be a dangerous situation for a guard.
Both sides benefit - but both placing themselves at some risk from exposure (and both know that the other can't always do everything).

Obviously non-dramatically opposed alignments should have an easier time working together.

Jagd said:

I'd like tie-ins to be worked between individual chars rather than as a group. So maybe two chars know each other from "church," and one of them knows another from working together, etc.

dancrilis said:
Ok my thinking is to stay simple and go with the standard human: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/other-rules/creating-new-races#example-human
Which would be 9RP, than remove 'Linguist 1 RP' in for 'Standard 0 RP' and than either upgrade Ability Score Modifiers from 'Human 0 RP' to 'Flexible 2 RP' or else to take more class skills or a static bonus feat.
I know that ditching 'Flexible bonus feat' for '2 static bonus feats' makes more sense ... but seems like gaming the system for a particular character rather than making a 'real' human varient.
So just want your opinion of maximising benefits over not?

My own personal take is if you like the idea don't worry about the powerlevel of it - that just adds roleplay opportunities (and if the DM wants to squash the PCs like bugs it will happen anyway :) ).
Also if the group has access to the abilities it would make sense for us to ensure that the situations where they are useful come up.

I do understand that there is within the Crimson Throne an amount of at least initial focus against someone who has wronged us - which we could expand into a group background (without needing to pick the same issue with the enemy).

My thinking at the moment might be something like this - the group were effectively on the streets together at some point in there lives, and while this might have been long ago for some they have maintained as friends.
For Example: If someone went on to be a LG guard they would look the other way for an old friend (providing that friend is not being overly bad - and they might feel bad about it leading to words between them later), similiarly a CE mob enforcer might come to aid the guard if they are being set on in a bad neighbourhood (but expect they to leave peacefully after that - even if they were excessive in providing that aid, and not be happy that they had to go against the community they live in - again leading to words later).
The way that the above might play out over years is the LG guard casually mentions that the CE enforcer might be better staying away from certain things at certain times, and the CE enforcer might do some leg work for the LG guard thereby preventing them from needing to enter what would be a dangerous situation for a guard.
Both sides benefit - but both placing themselves at some risk from exposure (and both know that the other can't always do everything).

Obviously non-dramatically opposed alignments should have an easier time working together.

Some good stuff. Your proposal is absolutely gaming the system, but that is perfectly acceptable. I will be more interested in whether or not the proposed combination of perks makes sense for a culture/society.

And I fully agree with your power level views. I will attempt to design encounters based on what I think the party can handle, after all. In addition, your character's biggest challenge will be being accepted, as I expect we will have significantly more applicants than spots. Cavalier remains unused for me because I find their abilities more tedious than inspiring. Some classes just don't inspire anything despite offering a lot. Ranger is a good example (for me).

I should point out that I plan on altering or removing the first encounter. I never liked how it forced such a contrived history for the group. Also, we will start at least at level 2, eliminating the need to be street urchins killing an old man who is both powerful and has no muscle working for him. Kinda hard to buy.

Please let me know if I missed anything.

kckolbe said:
Some good stuff. Your proposal is absolutely gaming the system, but that is perfectly acceptable. I will be more interested in whether or not the proposed combination of perks makes sense for a culture/society.
Sounds good - will give it some thought, my thoughts are leaning to a culture might be very small (the beggers in this part of a city) or large scale (everyone in a nation).
So some if it might depend on the character and what culture they might have came from - does that sound right to you?

I should point out that I plan on altering or removing the first encounter. I never liked how it forced such a contrived history for the group. Also, we will start at least at level 2, eliminating the need to be street urchins killing an old man who is both powerful and has no muscle working for him. Kinda hard to buy.

Please let me know if I missed anything.
For clarities sake I have not played this adventure (played only a little Pathfinder to be honest) - just read though the players guide, the orchins idea was more a throw away thought that seemed it might fit more than anything else.

But if you prefer a set of individual relationships rather than a group one that is grand also - just need to see what other people want to play before I start seeing about how they may know one another, and can than build a background from that (hopefully).

dancrilis said:
Sounds good - will give it some thought, my thoughts are leaning to a culture might be very small (the beggers in this part of a city) or large scale (everyone in a nation).
So some if it might depend on the character and what culture they might have came from - does that sound right to you?

For clarities sake I have not played this adventure (played only a little Pathfinder to be honest) - just read though the players guide, the orchins idea was more a throw away thought that seemed it might fit more than anything else.

But if you prefer a set of individual relationships rather than a group one that is grand also - just need to see what other people want to play before I start seeing about how they may know one another, and can than build a background from that (hopefully).

Pulling this out on the fly, but try to make the culture at least as large as a single district. Focusing on one "profession" is a bit too specific.

Basically, the campaign uses that first fight to bring the group of otherwise strangers together and introduce a new mechanic that I won't be using (harrow deck).

Back
Top Bottom