Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Sunset

As Day Fades

Supporter
Supporter
So, I've been away awhile. You may have noticed that. Some friends may not have been as surprised as others, as I've talked here and there about losing interest in the hobby of writing for longer and longer periods of time, and how it didn't feel as if it was a passing thing. After some thought I wanted to come back to the site to issue an official farewell, of sorts, as while I may write again someday, at some point, in all honesty it feels very unlikely.

It's a lot of fun. It is. But it can be a very encompassing hobby, a team sport where the other half of the team is regularly waiting for your move, and there's no off season. And the more teammates you take on, the less likely it is you'll ever have an empty queue, for whatever length of time. There's aspects of that that are great, and then there are aspects that don't mesh well with a desire to simply...do other things for awhile. In the way you could, say, get heavily into video games for a bit, play a few back to back, and then not touch one in forever. Or binge on a bunch of movies, or several seasons of something on Netflix. Or books. Or so on. The lack of ability to, once you start down the rabbit hole, simply set it aside for awhile and do something else, that you can't just pause and come back to resume it at a later date - whether it's a few days or a week or two or six months, that's what loses me, personally. Even if I love the stuff I have going on at a given moment, which has often been the case, I just...I want the freedom, in a nutshell. And the regular investment that this hobby requires is just not for me anymore.

It's never been for a lack of interesting thoughts.

Nor has it ever been for a lack of enjoyable people to share those thoughts with.

So, for what it's worth, I'll still be around, here and there. Lurking. Poking about this way or that. Maybe playing a forum game or two or otherwise bullshitting about the site. I'm still reachable via PM as well, that's not going to change, and I may still enjoy a bout of playfulness here and there in chatting back and forth. I'm just not going to commit anymore, no matter how rad you all are.

But I do, as I have always, treasure those that are my friends.

Thank you to anyone who has ever given me their time - it is one of the few things we cannot get back.

Back
Top Bottom