Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Traumatic Beginnings (Hiddenartist & rskde)

He smiles at her as she approaches. "Hey, you ready to go?" He asks while opening the passenger door to his car for her. He then walks around to the other side of his car, opening up the driver's door and stepping inside, tapping his fingers against the wheel as he waits for her to get inside. He reaches over to the radio, it quietly begins to play some classic rock, which was the station he had left it on this morning.

She was relieved when he led her straight to his car, glad he wasn't assuming she had her own. "Thank you." She murmured when he held the door open for her, climbing in and looking over at him as he sat down. Feeling her nerves twist around her stomach, she tried to calm herself by looking outside. She still didn't know why he invited her out to do this anyways. The music distracted her from her thoughs, and she looked down at the radio. "Classic rock?" She asked, for some reason surprised.

He nods to her question. "Yeah, my brother got me into it." He admits with a chuckle as he starts the car, starting to roll out of the parking lot. "You ever been to the park?" He asks as they start heading away from the school, he doesn't look over at her as he is keeping his eyes fixated on the road ahead like a safe driver would do. Road signs fly past as Kieran reaches over to the radio and turns it up slightly his head bobbing to the beat of a song playing.

"I... vaguely remember the park from years and years ago with my mom..." She murmured, thinking back to then. Those were the days... Forcing herself to stop thinking about those painful memories, she turned to look at him again. "Do you always ask complete strangers to the park on the first day of school?" She asked, more teasing than being mean. She was quite curious though, it did seem rather strange.

Kev laughs, shaking his head. "Honestly? No, I don't, but something told me you needed a friend, like I said you looked.. Scared? Down on yourself definitely, and I figured I might as well try to rain some sunshine on the darkness you seem to be feeling." He explains as they pull into the park parking lot. He turns off the engine before stepping out. "You ready?" He asks while pointing towards where they were going to go, which is a large lighthouse.

"oh" she murmured, feeling almost more confused by his response. People didn't care about her feelings, why did he? A complete stranger?but she was distracted from her thoughts when they came to a stop, looking around to take in where they were. When he got out, she hesitated a moment before following. The lighthouse he pointed at looked so pretty... She glanced over at him. "we are going to the lighthouse?"

"Yeah.. Well, we're going to the top, but we're not supposed to." He explains to her. "So we'll have to be quiet." He explains. They walk up a small dirt path to the lighthouse where he tries the door, which he finds locked. He sighs before taking a small paper clip from his pocket and jamming it into the lock of the lighthouse. "After you m'lady." He says with a smile as the door opens.

She raised her eyebrows at him when he said they weren't supposed to go up there. A frission of anxiety moved through her. "If we get caught... are we going to get in trouble?" She asked, thinking of her father's reaction. If he were to ever find out.. It would be ugly. But she forced herself to not back away from this moment of excitement in her life full of fear and misery. So she followed him down the path, nervously sticking her hands in her pockets. When he tried the door and it was locked though, she wasn't prepared for the disappointment. Before she even could open her mouth to say anything, he was opening the door. Confused, excited, and nervous, she hesitated a moment before stepping inside. His words caused a flush of embarassment, and even a little bit of pleasure. "Than you." She murmured. Entering the building, her eyes wandered over the walls, the stairs, and she forgot about the threat of being caught.

He flashes her a smile at her embarrassment, shaking his head with a chuckle before walking inside after her, shutting the door behind him and relocking it. He starts to walk up the stairs to the top, motioning for her to do the same. When they reach the top deck he lays down, staring up at the sky with his hands behind his head. "I used to come up here a lot." He explains, the light from the lighthouse isn't really noticeable as it is still around four o'clock in the afternoon, but the sun would be starting to set soon.

She actually blushed at his chuckle, somehow knowing it was directed at her. Watching him relock the door, she felt a bit of anxiety at being locked in a lighthouse with basically a complete stranger, but something pushed her forwards. So she followed him upwards, brushing her hand against the wall every once in a while. Then they were at the deck, and she looked out. She was in awe. It was a beautiful view. He laid down, but she walked up to the railing and looked out. Leaning forward, she felt the breeze brush through her hair, her eyes closing as she just took in the scent of the water. She looked back at him as he spoke, and for some reason, the openness and the breeze just made her feel more relaxed and at ease. "You used to? You don't any more?"

He looks over at her as she speaks, pulling himself up with a quiet grunt. "Yeah.. My brother and I used to come up here all the time for the view, I think he even took his girlfriend one time.. But my parents.. Aren't around any more." He says, while he is a pretty open book, that whole story was personal to him and his brother, and he intended to keep it that way. "So now he's so busy with work we never come out here any more.. And going alone isn't the same." He explains. He is now next to her, leaning over the railing and staring at the sun falling towards the horizon.

"Oh..." She murmured, blinking in surprise. She then looked out at the sunset as well, silently standing beside him for a minute. "I'm sorry.." She said quietly, understanding part of his pain. "My mom passed away several years back." She didn't know why she gave him that information. It was person, and he didn't need to know. But... he told her about his parents. She just... opened her mouth and it came out.

Kev looks over at her before nodding. "My mom died from brain cancer last year, and my dad jumped off a bridge." He explains, his head turning away to look at the waves of the ocean. "Honestly, it hasn't been all that bad though.. I mean, my brother takes care of me and I'm not exactly helpless so we get by." He says. "Though without our parents neither of us can go to college on our shoe string budget.. So it's straight into the workplace." He says while tapping his fingers on the rail. "It must be nice to still have your dad, at least."

She winced in empathy at his words. "I'm glad you have your brother." She murmured truthfully. It would have been nice to have someone support her through everything. Looking down at the water beneath them, she felt almost lost. And something, something about sweet guy who invited her out to see the sunset, caused the words to leave her mouth. "I dream of a night when my father never comes home." She whispered.

He looks over at her after she talks about her father, just barely catching the words. "Does he hurt you?" He asks, suddenly concerned. "You know you can talk to the guidance counselor about that, right?" He asks her while continuing to look at her. "Unless he's just one of those really emotional and annoying guys that you don't want to be around.. That's okay, but seriously, what did your dad do?" He asks her.

She shrugged. "If I talked to a guidance counselor, they'd get someone to talk to him, and it would only get worse." She said, not looking at him. "Happened before. No point to it." She knew she was essentially admitting that something was going on, but the wind just let her words go. Looking down at the water, she tried not to think too much about the bruises, about the... other things. About everything. "Before my mom passed away, he didn't do anything. And then one day.. he did." She said quietly, simply.

He bites the inside of his cheek softly before nodding. "Alright, I won't prod." He says with a small smile, knowing that it was probably a lot of personal stuff. "So Salene, what's your favorite color?" He asks her with the raise of his eyebrows. "I know it's a basic question but the thing is, it can tell a lot about who you are as a person." He says. "Of course I know nothing about that shit but seriously, what color?" He asks with a laugh.

She shrugged, continuing to look down at the water. "it's okay. I've never said this much before..." She shrugged again, running a hand through her hair. At his next question, she glanced over at him. "My favorite color?" She though about it. She hated red. It just made her think of the sight of blood. Purple was a close second. Bruises. "Green." She murmured. The color of her mother's eyes.

"Green? Beautiful." He says with a smile on his face. "Blue is mine, especially because of ocean water, we went down to Key West once and the water was so blue you'd think it was unnatural." He says with a smile. "Just goes to show humans don't have to impact the world to make things beautiful." He says with the shrug of his shoulders.

Even after what she had just been talking about, she smiled in response to him. "I've never left the state. It sounds beautiful though." She thought about it. This right here, actually, staring at the sunset, this was the most beautiful thing she had ever seen. "Thank you for taking me up here, Kev." She said quietly, only glancing at him briefly as she felt a bit shy again.

"No problem Salene, we can do more stuff like this if you want, I mean, I have a car and you seem to have the will to go wherever." He says with a smile. "Also it's four thirty.. We might wanna get you home, unless you want to walk." He says. "Or you could provide directions while I drive." He suggests.

Salene felt the blood drain from her face at the mention of the time, and she looked down at her hands. "Right. home." Swallowing she gave the sky one last look. "okay." Wish a shrug, she ppushed away from the railing. "I'll give you directions." She said as she turned and started to reluctantly make her way back down the lighthouse

Kev follows her down and out of the lighthouse, making their way back to his car. He gets into the driver's seat while looking over at her. "Salene? If your dad ever gives you too much shit.. Feel free to call me, I'll give you my number.. We have a guest room and I wouldn't want you to stay in the same house as your worst nightmare." He offers.

She couldn't look at him, though she appreciated his words. "Thank you." She said quietly, and shook her head. "But I don't have a phone." After that, she let out a humorless laugh. "There's nothing he hasn't done already, so I think I can handle it." She then looked out the window, berating herself for telling him so much. "Sorry. You don't need to deal with my issues."

"I never said I need to, I just volunteered." He says with a laugh before pulling out of the park. "So, directions, give'em to me." He says while starting to drive back towards school, unsure of how far away she lived from the school. "But seriously, if you ever need a place to stay I've got you." He says to her.

Back
Top Bottom