Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Traumatic Beginnings (Hiddenartist & rskde)

Celestria

Super-Earth
The first beep of the alarm clock was all it took for Salene to wake up, her hand snaking out and immediately shushing the clock. Her eyes opened, quickly looking towards the door to make sure the door was locked. She let out a breath when she saw that she had indeed locked it. So if her father had heard the alarm or not, he wasn't getting into her room. Giving herself one minute to look at the ceiling, she then rolled out of bed and pulled out her one good pair of jeans that she got two years ago and managed to keep in one piece. It was the first day of school, she knew she needed to look at least relatively nice. She then looked through her closet, and having nothing but old tshirts, she put one of those on. Glancing down at herself, she then noticed the bruising on her left arm from two days ago. shit. Running a hand through her hair, she just grabbed her old holey jacket and put that on. Better to look old than to look beaten.

Just as she was reaching down to put her shoes on, she heard the banging on her door. "God Damnit Salene! How many damn times do I have to tell to you keep that fucking alarm off!" She winced as she heard his slurring voice. Saying nothing, she finished putting her shoes on, her heart hammering in her chest. She just had to make it outside. It was the morning, he was too drunk and tired to do anything. As anxiety built inside her, she ran to the corner of her room, grabbed her bookbag, and then opened the window. The angry shouts from her father echoing in her ears, Salene climbed down the side of the house and jumped to the ground.

A 45 minute walk on an empty stomach should probably daunt her, but she was used to it. She needed to get to school. Besides, she was used to feeling empty inside. Ever since her mother died 6 years ago and Jared... But nevermind that. One more year and she could escape.One more year... Her mind wandered as she made the hike to school, ignoring her stomach's rumblings.

When she got there, She stayed to the side, out of the way of the cliques of students. All of them with their excitement and their smiles and happy lives... What she wouldn't give to have that again. But it just wasn;t for her. she learned that the hard way. Finally everyone was let into the building and Salene made her way to her first class, thankful when she got there and there wasn't assigned seating. So she sat at the back and stared out a window.

"Kevin, wake up you lazy sack of shit." His eyes open and he laughs at the frowning face of his older brother, who had probably been trying to wake him for the last five to ten minutes. "Finally, god damn I'm gonna be late.. Get your ass out of bed Kev." He says before walking off.

He jumps up out of bed, walking over to the bathroom connected to his room and looking at himself in the mirror, smoothing a hand over his short buzz cut hair. Hazel eyes and a strong athletic build look back at him in the mirror, he gives himself a curt nod before brushing his teeth. After a few minutes of that he walks back into his room, pulling open his dresser and looking for something to wear.

Since its August he decides to grab the old t-shirt and shorts routine, selecting a black t-shirt paired with orange shorts, just to stand out a little. He also grabs a white baseball cap and his sunglasses, he'd need them for the drive over.

Kev then walks out of his room, deciding to skip breakfast while walking out to the driveway, hopping into his used silver 1999 Toyota Camry. He drives to school in about five minutes, parking in a parking space in the student parking lot before putting his tag on his rear view mirror.

He walks into school with books tucked under his right arm, he steps into his first class, the first seat meant everything in this jungle, he knows he'll have to pick wisely. He walks to the back, sitting down next to a girl staring out of the classroom's window. He reaches over and taps her in her shoulder.

"Sorry to disturb, just gotta make sure you aren't high." He says jokingly, a smile spreading across his face. He offers her his hand. "I'm Kev, your local reject wannabe bad student." He says with a laugh, expecting her to shake his hand.

Salene all but jumped when she felt someone tap her on her shoulder, tensing as she turned to the individual that touched her. Most of the touch she knew was painful. Looking at him, she was caught completely off guard by his friendly attitude. Not that that really mattered, they were all friendly until they got tired of you. Then you were abused, beaten, and thrown away. Her startled expression soon moved to suspicious as he offered his hand. She hesitated, but in the hope that it would just convince him to leave her alone, she reached out and shook his hand quickly, dropping it as soon as she could. She didn't like being touched. No one's touch was ever kind or without expectations. "Salene" she said quietly before turning back to the Windows, hoping he would leave her alone.

"Salene? Sounds Arabic or something, where're you from? Like your ancestors and shit." He says while leaning back in his chair, she didn't seem to be the most talkative person in the world. "You seem kinda down, do you hate school or something? I know some people are afraid of it and some people jokingly hate classes but nobody really hates school in general." He says, just trying to make conversation. "Cmon give me something here, my brother told me I need to make some friends this year, and I think you would be a perfect recruit for Kev's band of friends." He says with a grin on his face. "So whatdoya say Salene? Will you humor me?" He asks with a smile. "The least you could do is talk back."

This stranger that was talking to her seemed unusually chatty. Normally she would get away with not talking to anyone. "school is actually my favorite part of my day." she said truthfully. It was the only time of day she could stay away from her father without punishment. And as for her ancestry, she had pale white skin that rarely saw the sun, so Arabic was unlikely. "i don't know my ancestry. And... I don't think I'd be that great of a recruit..." she said quietly, looking at her desk. Why was he talking to her?

"Awh cmon, make a friend or two." He says to her, leaning on his desk. "I think I have a sixth sense, I feel like you're in need of a friend." He admits. "You were staring out a window in the back of the classroom hoping that nobody would notice you, but I just thwarted your plan." He says to her. "If you want I can take you out to dinner or something, I have a car." He says.

Her eyes widened when he mentioned taking her out to dinner, fear slicing through her. She shook her head. "no. No. Thanks." her throat went dry at the very thought. Her father would go ballistic if she spent a penny. And anyone who asked someone out on a date, especially a stranger, they just wanted something. No, dinner was a very bad idea. If her father caught her spending money... Fear sliced up her spine.

He nods. "Maybe the park or something, then? I know a place to hang out.. Of course to get in you kind' so have to do some trespassing but it's not illegal if nobody knows." He says with a smile. The teacher steps in the front of the room, making Kevin turn in order to pay attention. They get a basic orientation before the bell rings. He grabs his books. "I'll meet you in the parking lot later?" He asks.

This guy was persistent! Salene stared at him with incredulity. When he tried to get her to meet him later, she was at a loss. "I - I need to be home by 4." she said in confused explanation. "I can't just go out.." who was this guy? "I appreciate you inviting me by I'm just not able to go out." she grabbed her bag, hesitating when the bell rang to look at him. Why was he talking to her? Who was he? But it didn't matter. Wasn't worth the beating. She started to leave then.

He nods to her. "Okay, well you have a nice day." He says with a smile while watching her leave. He makes sure he has everything before leaving the room, walking to his next class for the day. He sits down in his next class towards the back, staring at the board as he thinks to himself about the girl he had just talked to, she didn't seem too into anything at all, she was a closed book.

After her first class, she went into the bathrooms. Staring at herself in the mirror, she murmured "should have worn the holey jeans. Maybe then you would have been ignored." she closed her eyes for a moment, tensing when she heard someone else enter the room. She quickly turned and left. Next class, history. She arrived there just as the bell rang, leaving one empty desk. One empty desk next to none other but the strange social kid. Glancing between him and the teacher, she hesitated a moment before moving to the back of the class to sit next to him. This was too weird.

He smiles to her and nods. "Welcome to history class." He says quietly while leaning back in his chair, watching the teacher as she starts her introduction to the class, though he tends to just ignore most of it any way as he doesn't feel like he needs any of the information. "How've you been? It's been like.. Five minutes since I last saw you." He says with a chuckle, shaking his head quietly.

She couldn't stop the barest hint of a smile from entering her face when he spoke. So strange guy was funny. "thank you." she whispered in response to his welcome, trying not to be amused as she stared down at her desk. Her hair fell forward covering her face as she thought about the guy sitting beside her. Nervously, she reached up and brushed a hand through her hair, glancing up at him. She wasn't necessarily shy, but she wasn't used to attention either.

He flashes her another smile when she looks up at him. "Wow, I'm actually seeing your eyes for the first time." He says with a chuckle. "It sucks you can't hang out later, I dunno what I'm gonna do at home alone, my family does a lot of work to put food on the table and they tend to remind me often." He explains quietly so that the teacher cannot hear him. "Any particular reason you gotta be home so early?" He asks.

She couldn't stop the small blush that heated her cheeks when he commented on her eyes. "I..." she looked up at the teacher, worried about catching her attention. "my dad gets back at 6 and um..." if she didn't have food made for him, she was punished. Not to mention having the house cleaned, and table set. "I guess if I was home by five..." her father would never know. Hopefully. She would just have to work quickly. Wait, why was she even thinking about this? Going out didn't end well, this guy would be no different. Hopefully he'd just give up on her.

He raises his eyebrows at her when she blushes, a grin spreads across his face. "Home by five? I can definitely get you home before your dad gets home." He says to her quietly so that the teacher doesn't notice. "Cmon Salene, have some fun." He says. "You only go through high school once." He says to her while leaning back in his seat. "And once you go the first time you'll want to go again and again, trust me." He says while picking up his pencil, twirling it around in his hand.

He was so... personable. It was strange. She wanted to be upset that he didn't decline, and part of her was afraid, but... She couldn't help but feel a little lonely at times. What was the worst that could happen? he could take her to some place in the middle of nowhere and murder her? That actually wouldn't be that bad, save her from what she dealt with at home. "I'll go." She whispered, glancing up at him again. "But I'll need to tell my dad where we are going." She wasn't sure why she added that second part. There was no way she was telling her dad what was going on, plus she didn't have a phone to contact him even if she wanted to. He wouldn't waste money on her like that.

"Sweet." He says with a grin. "Just tell him we're going to McGregor's Park, that's the general area, unless he wants map coordinates." He says jokingly, leaning back in his chair for a moment before looking at her again. "Wait.. Does he want coordinates?" He asks with a chuckle. "I can tell you and your dad are pretty close, he probably keeps an eye on you to make sure you don't get hurt." He says, not knowing this is the opposite of the truth, though he is making an educated guess considering she said she would have to tell her dad where she was going.

She couldn't stop the wince when he said that her dad wouldn't want her to get hurt, thinking of the bruise on her arm. "Yeah.." she said, her voice hollow. Swallowing past the lump in her throat, she couldn't look him in the eye. "I'll just tell him McGregor's park. If I end up missing I'm sure he'll have the whole area searched." She said, trying to smile and joke a bit. But she knew if she went missing, her father would probably rejoice. This whole thing was probably stupid and she would regret it... but what could one meeting hurt? "When and where should we meet?"

"Once the fourth bell rings and school is out, meet me out in the student parking lot and we can drive up to the park." He explains to her. The bell for the period rings and he stands, gathering his books and tucking them under his arm. "What class do you have next?" He asks her with the raise of his eyebrows.

She hesitated a moment, that part of her that was saying this was all going to be a horrible disaster was only getting louder. But she nodded. "Okay... I'll meet you there then." Hopefully he wasn't expecting her to have her own car. That would be rather awkward... Well, awkward would be better than dead at least. At his next question, she looked down at her schedule. "English with Mr. Runion." Looking back up at him, returned his question. "You?"

He places his books down for a moment to rifle through them, searching for his schedule. "I have.. Chemistry with Mrs Falker." He says. "Well, I guess you get a break from me." He says with a laugh as he slips the schedule back into his folder. He lifts up his books again before nodding to her. "I'll see you later, then." He says with a bright smile before leaving the room, heading for Chemistry class which seems to progress a lot quicker without his frequent conversations.

She hesitated a moment before going to her next class. Distracted throughout the whole thing, she didn't absorb much of the syllabus that was presented. She was too busy thinking about the guy in her previous two classes. She'd managed to get through the last couple years without a single friend or barely a friendly acquaintance, why was that being ruined now? Hopefully they'd go to the park, have a miserable time, then he'd never talk to her again. As she was thinking about the whole scenario, it occured to her that they were going to get back at 5, and it was a 45 minute walk back to her house when her dad got back at 6... She wouldn't be able to make dinner in that time... maybe she could get him to drop her off closer to home, then she could walk the rest of the way back.. yeah, that would work... First day of school, and this was already a disaster waiting to happen. Please please please don't let her father find out.

The final bell for the day rings and Kev stands from his desk, grabbing all of his books before heading to his locker. He opens the locker door and deposits some of his books into his locker and some into his backpack, which he hoists up on to his shoulder before closing his locker and turning the combination lock a few times. He walks outside to the school parking lot, standing outside of his car while waiting for Salene to show up, watching the school's exit so that he would see her.

Salene made it through the rest of the day uneventfully. If it wasn't for the seemingly overfriendly guy in her first two classes, her day would have been like any other. She didn't put anything in her locker, she didn't have enough stuff to carry around to make it necessary to put anything in her locker, so instead she went straight for the doors. She walked with her head down, her hair allowing her to hide as it fell forward. making her way through the crowds towards the student parking lot, she grew nervous, lightly chewing on her bottom lip. Then she saw him there, and her heart gave a little squeeze when she saw him waiting for her. It was strange, having someone wait for you, looking for you when youve never had anyone do that before. Swallowing past her nerves, she reached up and tucked her curtain of hair behind her ear. "Hi."

Back
Top Bottom