Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Changing Relations (Foxxo & miu_meowww)

I know how hard this is for him, in so many ways.

I know he doesn't like that they were having a meeting without him. In the beginning - four months ago or so - when we all just started publishing "The New Times" (it sounds grand but really isn't haha) he was sort of our de facto leader. He'd been well respected around here before the virus, editor of the city section of the online edition. He had a weekly column himself and had won awards for his writing. Everyone else - myself included - sort of looked up to him. Toni had been a sports photographer, Denise an assistant editor over in Lifestyles, Selma had a desk in HR. Henry worked at the printing press - yes we still published a real newspaper - as a service guy. Marie was just a secretary but god you'd never know it by the way she carried herself now.

I know he doesn't like the way they all look at him when he enters. Their gazes range from patient tolerance to sympathetic pity to outright contempt. And when he asks what's going on, no one says anything for too long...so I speak up. "Hi ladies! It's sooooo great to have the lights back on!" I say, moving in to room and hoping he'll follow, "Do we know anything about what's happening with the grid?"

I know he doesn't like that she's here, the woman from the government (I think her name is "Nikki"?). She'd been spending more and more time with us, ostensibly to "help"...but had never been invited into meetings like this before. Her smile is big and wide and warm and she's so pretty.

I know, also, that it's hard for him to be around all these women, so close, for any period of time. I dress conservatively, for his benefit...I still have my baggy denim shirt on and a pair of white Capri pants. Flat sandals. But the other women are not doing the same, for sure...and that makes it hard, no pun intended. It's been more and more of a trend for women to dress to show off their new, virus-given curves lately...in the ever-more desperate hopes of attracting one of the few surviving men. There are, by our investigations, more than twenty women for every one man, and many of the men are "taken" already. The remaining ones are few and far between, many of them starting to band together for safety. We even hear of small pockets of "a resistance". Nonetheless, I know any of the women here would love to have Jack to themselves....even Marie, who actually shares a guy with her twin sister at home.

It's hard for him, but he cares so much...

As soon as their gazes shift from me to Val, most of them light up. They have more respect for her, being a woman, and still take her seriously. I appreciate her speaking up, but part of me resents it as well. They should still care about my opinion, and what I have to say! My mind is still the same! I put so much work into this paper, doesn't that deserve at least a little respect?!

They respond to her, without even really acknowledging my presence. They still look at me occasionally, with lust, or contempt, or just a general curiosity. I figure it's more because they rarely see men now, and when they do, well, they aren't like me anymore.

"It is great isn't it!" Marie is the first to speak up... A lot of the women defer to her now, since she's so big. She commands a certain presence, and has kind of taken my position as a sort of leader here. I hate her for it.

"Well, the grid was brought back online last night! Apparently the government is stressing that the use of it will still be limited, but, at least we can get some work done. Nikki here actually suggested that out newspaper get as much access as we need. Apparently they consider what we're doing here to be important enough to allow us near unlimited access. Isn't that great?" She was excited, and bouncing... to pleasantly. I couldn't look at her like this. Her curves were so pronounced, and she was so muscular. She knew how to show off her new body.

A lot of the women now engage in small talk, Val among them. I look at each of the women in turn. They're all so beautiful, and seem big (I still haven't gotten used to the small amount women grew just from being infected). They're all excited about the power, and talking about all the new things they've missed so much, what they'll be able to do, or have done already this morning. I don't really care... part of me is angered over how they can enjoy these small things so much. There are bigger issues at hand here! Can't we try and take this whole virus situation more seriously?

"However, Nikki also suggested that we may have to allow a certain amount of government control over the paper, in order to qualify for these perks." Marie continued. I really didn't want to hear this last part, but I saw it coming. I can feel myself getting angry, but I can't act like that in front of these women. They would just, try to humiliate me or something...

I start to move away, wanting to leave the room, when I also overhear from Toni and Selma that Henry and his wife will be coming in at some point soon. I perk up a bit at the news, but also feel sad. Seeing him reminds me too much of what could happen to me if I'm not careful. That, and I hate the way his wife Lisa acts.

I continue to move away, trying to get out of the room without being noticed. I don't think I will be, considering how insignificant most of these women think I am. I also don't want to hear this small-talk, and began to get the impression I wouldn't be included in this conversation anyway. I'll just ask Val about it later... I'd rather not deal with this sort of treatment when I promised myself I'd work on being happier and more involved with her today.

"Oh Mr. Stone don't go!" I hear Nikki call out brightly, as I just notice myself Jack trying to slip out of the conference room, "We need you here!"

He stops in his tracks and turns to face her and she turns on a huge, megawatt smile. He still has the handle to the door in his grasp, but I can see his reaction already to that smile. I immediately feel the pangs...

"You are going to be a very important part of this paper's growth, Mr. Stone!" she continues cheerily, as he drops the door handle and starts to listen. "You've brought so much to our city with your little pamphlet, you've done such good work, we all owe sooo much to you..."

He's blinking, a lot...he does that sometimes when he's stressed. And he looks stressed. But there's another haze coming over his eyes, and I think it's due to that smile.

"That's why we want to bring you so much more help to the New Times here...to help you out..." she says, cocking her head prettily in her smart, tightly fitted business suit, "we're going to bring in more reporters, more writers, more photographers. You'll have a much bigger team here...and we're all just part of a team, in this new world, aren't we, Mr. Stone?"

I didn't really know how to react to what Nikki was saying. It all made sense... Before I knew it my grip on the door handle relaxed, and then I let go, and faced her.

"I appreciate that... no one really recognizes what I've done here anymore..." I'm speaking without thinking now, and my voice is quiet and meek. I didn't mean to be that honest, but for some reason I feel very drawn to Nikki at the moment.

My eyes slowly work their way up and down her body. She is very attractive, and that suit really accentuates her curves. Before long I can feel myself getting hard...

"Having more help, that would be, really nice. Thank you... for that offer. We could be a really great team..." My mind is getting hazy. Part of me feels so ashamed at acting this way, but for some reason I just can't help it. I notice my eyes resting on her breasts, they're... big, then her hips, and thighs. So thick...

I've completely forgotten that my wife is in the room. I should be ashamed at giving so much attention to Nikki but I just can't help it.

"What... would you like me to do?" I know in the back of my mind I'm being manipulated, but her voice is so mesmerizing. It's almost as if her voice and body and whatever else could help are working to hypnotize me...

RE: Changing Relations (Foxxo & miu_meoww

Oh my god, I think, as I watch - with no small amount of fascination - this exchange between my husband and Nikki, look at how she did that...

I know exactly what she's doing. I could almost sense them myself, soon after we came into the close quarters of the conference room. She had started filling the air with them, preparing for this conversation, to make him compliant, make him easy to sway. Her pheromones, natural chemicals made powerful by the virus, wafting from her skin and hair.

We all have them, amplified since the virus, and we have some limited control over their production. We're secretly being encouraged to practice, to use them - and i have to admit I have...I've experimented with them, without telling him, a couple times at home. To get my way, in silly little arguments. They...they work, they really do. But I feel strange, using them on Jack...and I've kept them at bay, kept them contained, a secret.

But if we're being urged to learn...watching Nikki is a master class. We're all watching her, now, fascinated. All the women in the room. I know I maybe should feel jealous, or protective, and I do...a little. But right now it's outweighed by the thrill of watching her get her way, watching a woman speak to a man in this new world.

She's slowly approaching him, by inches, with that bright open smile. Her body language is perfect, confident but not threatening. Her eyes gleam and glitter and stay locked on him. "What would we like you to do? What would we like you to do?" she repeats for him, with an even wider smile, "Oh Mr. Stone we'll need your help in growing this paper to be a source of reliable news and information for our city, for all of us! Something not only our female citizens need, but our male partners as well. We'd like you to be our...how should we put it...'Correspondent for Male Affairs'. Writing each week on the concerns of our most precious resource, our men...would you do that for us?"

I'm rapt, watching this exchange - but then he gives me a look. He looks my way, and I know he needs my help.

I speak up. "Wow Ms. Balakian th-"

"Nikki, please," she corrects me with a smile.

"Nikki..." I continue, "this all sounds so exciting, such wonderful news." I have to chose my words carefully, I know. "I think Jack would do a fantastic job in the posit-"

"Oh and we have a wonderful spot for you, too, Valerie," she interjects.

Yes that piques my interest but I have to press on for Jack.

"Wow thanks..." I resume, "that sounds exciting too. But...I think Jack would like a little time to talk this over with me." I brighten my smile as well, trying to match hers. "Can we take a walk?"

"Of course, hun," she beams, "take all the time you need!"

I smile and place my hand on his shoulder. He meets my gaze and I guide him to turn around, to the door, and out into the hall...

It wasn't until she called men resources that I snapped back to reality. I knew what she was doing... I remember Val having this same effect on me at times. I had to resist these accentuated pheromones all women seemed to have ever since the virus.

My vision cleared, and I was able to look at Val. I didn't dare speak, as I could feel my speech would still come across as weak and quiet. I wanted to stick up for myself, for men, but wasn't in a situation where I could mount any meaningful resistance.

When Val finally lead me into the hall I breathed deeply. It felt good to get these effects off my shoulders, these damned chemicals out of my system...

I turned to her after a second, and a slight walk down the hall so we could get out of earshot from the other women back in the conference room. I could feel the rage and anger in my cheeks.

"I'm not accepting that position... and even if I did, I wouldn't write what they want me to write! I know what she's trying to do and it's unacceptable! I'll quit this job before I become some sort of... of, slave!" I was quite angry now... I felt bad for making Val face the brunt of it, but I needed to express myself.

"She was trying to use those damned pheromones too! Talk about unfair... I was okay with you using them, for small arguments, but this is serious! God... dammit!" I turn away from her, extremely angry but feeling very guilty for getting so angry in front of Val... so much for the effort I promised I'd put into our relationship today.

I'm a little shocked that he knows about the pheromones and I'm sure it shows a little on my face. I feel horrible! But it actually doesn't seem to bother him that much, that I was keeping that a secret from him. I guess I shouldn't be too surprised - he's a smart guy, and being a journalist he's talked to lots of people over the past few months about what's happening. But in general we haven't discussed much changes that have been going on in our bodies...like the pheromones. Like me becoming stronger. Like my mind getting sharper. And a lot of the opposite things happening for him…

So I'm glad he doesn't dwell on my hiding my pheromone thing from him, and that it doesn't seem to bother him - at least not now, it doesn't. What does bother him is what just transpired in that conference room.

"Shhh...honey...shhh...." I try, following after him as he storms further down the hall. He's headed into the back of the building, towards the presses. "No one's trying to make you a slave...."

That doesn't seem to help, or stop him, or slow him. But I continue, as we walk, briskly. "And they're not even saying they're going to take over the paper, just that they want to get more people working on it, make it more than it is now..."

Unspoken, of course, is what seems like the inevitable outcome. No matter how the paper is managed, it doesn't look like Jack will be our leader any more. That will happen with more people coming in, more women. Jack did fine, getting our little paper out to the survivors on sporadic occasions...but he's not a leader. I know that, and I think he knows that.

Most all men, in fact, that have survived the virus, are not leaders. Another things we're finding out, along the way, is about commonalities that tie the survivors together, things that seem to link us all together. Like the women: we're all of roughly the same age, all of childbearing age. We seem to all have had similar...body types, even before the plague. No one too thin, or too heavy. We're all healthy people. Strong personalities.

The men, now - the men are harder to pin down. What links them? Jack and the others at the paper have been trying to find out, talking with people, roving the clinics. Also, the men seem to mostly be around the same age, maybe tending a touch older than the women. But it's not the strong ones, the bold ones, the alpha males. No leaders of industry or politicians or whatever. We were left it seems, here on earth, with a smattering of beta males. "Sub-beta", I think, was the way one woman - a psychiatrist, I think, working with the government - put it.

I know it pains him to admit it, even to himself, but he's not a leader. He may think he could be...but he's not. I know him, I know him after all these years and I love him to death but that term - "Sub-Beta" - it suits him perfectly...

"Jack, honey, look," I continue, as we make our way into one of the access hallways that lead to the printing presses, "Don't make any decisions now...think on it...think what's our best move....for everyone..."

"For everyone?!" I didn't want to stay mad, I needed to calm myself down. Val didn't deserve this treatment. She sort of saved me from Nikki, so I should even thank her. I stopped walking for a few seconds, closed my eyes, and took a few deep breaths. Then I turned to Val, and looked her right in the eyes.

"This isn't in the interest of men. Nikki is probably going to want me to write something about how the virus isn't so bad for us, how we should give in to women and let the virus progress naturally. I can't bring myself to think that could be good for us... who knows what will happen to men if we continue down that road too far? I... don't even want to think about it. I won't lie to all the men out there trying to resist this."

After another pause I added, "Oh... and, thank you, for what you did in the other room... I do appreciate that." It was humiliating but she did help me. I needed to show that did mean a lot to me.

I turned away again and continued to the printing press room. Being there always made me feel better for some reason; maybe it was the smell, or just the atmosphere. I was still feeling so ashamed for how I let Nikki talk to me... and especially how I responded to her. I needed to be ready for next time, if there was a next time.

When I got to the printing room I swung open the door quickly, and not paying attention to where I was going nearly ran into someone... it was Lisa.

"OH! If it isn't little Jack! It's been a while hasn't it?" She beamed down at me... way down at me. I found myself speechless... she was pretty big the last time I saw her, but now... oh God. She was huge... I didn't know how to react.

12338808_1092498507451418_286984336_n.jpg

"You're welcome," I say, knowing how genuine he's being. I am actually encouraged by how he's opening up to me. He trusts me, and admitting his fears to me is going to be important as things are going to...change.

I also tell him not to think too far ahead with the paper and what you might end up writing about, what you might be called on to report on or comment on. Who knows? One day at a time...

Jack nearly bumps into Lisa as he pushes open the door into the presses. It would have been quite a funny sight, actually, if he did really run into her. Would his face have sank into or just bounced right off her boob?

Because Lisa is tall. Six and a half feet, at least, and always wearing heels that put her well above that. She towers over everyone at the offices, especially her "husband", Henry...who she never lets out of her sight...

I'm still a bit tongue tied after nearly running into Lisa. If she was just another normal woman, it wouldn't have been so bad, but she was huge. Her breasts were actually they biggest I'd ever seen on a woman... they seemed so, heavy, and full. My eyes inevitably lingered on them for more than a few seconds. Further down, her hips, and thighs... there was just, so much to them. They were so thick. Part of me wanted desperately to grab them, and feel them. Everything about them exuded power, confidence... her sex appeal was practically dripping off of her. Even her voice had a way or burrowing into my head. I buried the urge to touch her rather quickly though... I needed to be careful. It was obvious how strong her pheromones would be.

"Y... Yes, it has been a while Lisa... it's nice to see you." I broke away from her, and walked around her, not waiting for a response. This was difficult as she was so wide in various areas, and took up a lot of space. As soon as I passed her I noticed Henry, who always seemed to be in her shadow.

"Henry! It's good to see you man. How have you been?" It was a huge pleasure seeing another man again, and one who I considered a friend. Seeing him now though was difficult. He was so timid, and seemed hollow in some ways. He rarely, if ever, made eye contact with others. I could sense a shame behind his demeanor, but at the same time I notice there is a certain resignation to him, more than I've seen in him before. Lisa must be draining him, constantly. I pity him...

I walk further into the room, to escape Lisa. I could already feel her pheromones reaching out to me, the ones that keep Henry so subdued all the time. Henry looks at me very briefly before looking up at Lisa... was he, looking for permission to speak with me? I could feel anger rising to my face again noticing that...

I can see Henry struggling, wanting to say something, and only getting a little smile down from Lisa. I decide to speak, to maybe lighten the mood a little.

"Lisa you look wonderful!" I beam, raising out my two hands to take hers. I'm a big girl, now, but I'm amazed at how much...bigger...this woman is. She is, as far as bosoms go, absolutely immense. And at her height...with her long, thick waves of dark hair, her huge legs...wow.

I can feel them inside me, the little voices of admiration, urging me to take this in, to look at her and realize what I could become. I could be this...and more...

"Thank you, like sooooo much Mallory," Lisa replies, getting my name wrong once again, "you look nice too but..." With that she gives me a quizzical eye. "..he's still holding out on you, isn't he?" She barely glances over at Jack. "You, like, shouldn't allow that..." she continues, tossing her mane in a wave, "I would never allow my Henry to go a day without relieving himself..."

I can overhear Val and Lisa talking. What Lisa says bothers the hell out of me, but I decide not to respond. I've already had enough anger for one day, and if I let everything get to me I'll have ruined another day.

"So, Henry, how have you been? What have you been up to?" I decide to try and engage him, though seeing him like this gives me the impression any sort of conversation will prove difficult.

"Well... ummm, Lisa and I were, talking. I'm going to be leaving the paper. I just, came in to say, you know, a goodbye?" He couldn't hold my gaze. He was looking down, then back up at Lisa, then down again, and back at her. She's really done a number on him... I feel a sense of pity rising in my throat.

"Really?! That's... I'm sorry to hear that Henry. I need another man around!" I laugh, trying to lighten the mood, but he doesn't even smile. "I just came down to clear my mind, you know how I like this room. Though, I think I'll be heading home in a few minutes. Dealing with these women can be exhausting." I smile at him and laugh again, but all I get is a weak smile in return. He seems afraid to agree with me... Would Lisa, do something to him if he did? I don't want to think about how he's treated in private...

I turn back to Val, trying to suggest with body language that we should leave. I really just want to go home at this point. Seeing all these women, and Henry... it's getting to me. Not to mention that earlier conversation with Nikki...

With some small talk I finish up my conversation with Lisa, seeing Jack wants to leave. It seems he and Henry have already said their goodbyes...the two seem weird, like something happened between the two of them. I talk a little with Henry, who tells us the small printing press, now that it has power, is ready and operational woo hoo!

Lisa and Henry do leave, and I encourage Jack to stick around to check out the press with me...which we do. I also encourage him - when he says he wants to go home - to at least stay here at least a little while longer...even if it's just hanging out in his office, going through those papers on the electric grid repair and reboot that Nikki brought to us...I offer to help him...

I decline her offer for help. I do appreciate that she's helped me through the day to a degree, but I don't want to feel to reliant on her. I'm the writer here, so doing my own work, alone in my own office should be just fine.

I go into my office and pull up all the research I've done for my most recent article. I have a hard time focusing, given I've been distracted quite a bit by what's happened today. I end up trying to write, but nothing sticks. I resign myself to organizing the research that I do have, waiting for Val to finish up whatever she's doing. I really just want to go home now. I can feel that I'm getting stressed out; I feel tense, and my head is swimming.

Eventually I find myself simply staring at blank pieces of paper, so I pull out a book of puzzles I have handy and begin to work on some. I don't want Val to find me doing these puzzles though. She's be disappointed if I wasn't actually doing any work. Not to mention, these puzzles shouldn't feel as difficult as they do... I guess I'm just distracted...

I'm a little disappointed, I guess, that he doesn't want my help on the electric grid story - we should get that out soon, we have our next edition planned for two days from now and I actually have been having a lot of good ideas recently. The other girls have noticed it, how I've been contributing, but I don't know if Jack has.

I never finished my journalism degree at college, but always sorta had hopes I'd go back and do it. My job at the news agency before the virus hit was really nothing more than a glorified secretary, and I think Jack still sees me that way. But I know all the others here see more in me, and the stuff Nikki was talking about is secretly exciting. I want to ask her more about what she could see me doing here when the paper expands...but by the time I get back to the conference room, she's already gone.

So it's just a lot of girl talk, when I get back - which is okay by me! It's fun, sometimes, being around just the ladies, and we've all become good friends. I know Jack is leery of some of them, and I see how he gets looked at, but I know they can't really help it. This virus does funny things to a girl...

With the electricity back on, we just seem one more step closer to normal. Denise and Selma are talking about doing their nails, dreaming of a nice pedicure. Marie's asking if anyone wants to hit the gym. Dina would rather go shopping!

Mmmm...shopping...how I used to love to shop! With the grid back up, I have thoughts of the mall downtown. It's been being used as a distribution center for rations & supplies these days but some stores have started to actually open up recently...the government trying to get us all back to some kind of "normal", I guess. Selma talks of a new shoe store, and I know the department store has reopened some of its makeup counters...

"Knock knock!" I announce, brightly, rapping on his door, "Anyone in here want to go shopping with me?"

By the time Val knocked on my door I had managed to make a few rudimentary notes, though most of my time had been spent on puzzles. I panicked slightly, and put away the puzzle book quickly. I'm glad she knocked on the door rather than simply walking in. There were no locks on our doors in the office, and I get the impression some women would simply walk into my office out of a sense of entitlement.

She walked in a second or two after knocking, and I could tell she was rather pleased at the moment. She did ask if we wanted to go shopping, so I imagine she got involved in some girl talk with the other women. I'd heard about them opening up some stores, full of excess luxury items gathered since the virus incapacitated society. Essentials were divided and provided on a need-be basis; we had ration tickets which we could use, and were given more every month by the small government that had taken form. Surprisingly, order had been maintained. I suspected this was due to a lack of violent, aggressive men. Everyone seemed to buy into the idea of a fair society, rebounding from horrible circumstances.

"Ummm, ya, sure. We could go shopping." I still wanted to go home, but getting out of the office was my first priority. Maybe shopping wouldn't be so bad anyway; a return to something normal?

"What were you hoping to get?" I actually had no idea what she was hoping to find. Normally, she was quite a logical, intelligent shopper, though I figured due to the virus, and being unable to shop for such a long time would add an extra layer to her desire to shop.

I got up from my desk and gathered my things, walking to the door and into the hall with her. From how quickly I got ready, it was probably obvious how much I wanted to leave the office. I just hoped we wouldn't run into anyone on our way out...

"Well, we need to pick up some dry goods and propane," I say, as we head down the stairwell together, "I have our list and some vouchers." I feel my big breasts jostling in my shirt as we step step step down the stairs. "But talking to the girls got me wanting to paint my nails again and do my hair. If we're going in to the mall can we go to the makeup girl and then I'll pop in for a shower?" We haven't had running water for months now, but they've recently got the old health club at the mall up and going, with hot showers and everything for anyone to use.

He doesn't say much. I know he doesn't like the mall, going to get our rations. Not that it's ever crowded but it's a place for people to congregate and socialize. Well, it's a place for women to congregate and socialize. Men usually are a rare sight there, and I know he feels a little uncomfortable when we go, even though I'm there with him.

"And, hey, I hear they've brought in a wine store...I think it's in the old eyeglass place," I add, seeing if I can get him interested, "Maybe we can pick up a few bottles for tonight...?"

I knew she'd ask about doing all that old female grooming stuff. I didn't mind, though hanging around at the mall waiting for her wasn't a very pleasant thought. Women would stare, and speak to each other under their breath. It's quite possible some of them would make a pass at me as well; women were much more, hmmm, aggressive, in this new reality. Maybe I'll just hop into the men's showers and sauna. I'd be able to avoid women that way.

"Alright, that sounds like a good idea actually." I'm trying to sound optimistic, though it isn't a bad idea. Getting out of the house would be a good idea, but coming into work hadn't been that satisfying. Relaxing in a shower and sauna could definitely do the trick.

"Hmmmm, ya... I guess I could go for a bottle of wine or two..." I hadn't drank anything for a while, and I could tell my answer and expression revealed my indecision. To be honest, I've been a bit too nervous. It could get me too excited, especially around Val. Even when she wasn't around, I'd maybe be tempted to... well... you know. Not a good idea. Plus, if I wasn't tempted, it could also put me in a foul mood; one of those sad, helpless drunks.

---------

Our mall wasn't very far, and it only took us about 10-15 minutes by car to get there. It was crowded, which surprised me considering there weren't as many people anymore. At the same time it did just open, so it wasn't all surprising.

We talked about lighter topics after leaving the office. I was feeling much more comfortable around Val today than I had been the past little while. It was a relief to be able to spend time with her like this again. I was actually able to ignore the looks I was getting from all the women present... and was instead able to focus entirely on Val; on her voice, her body, her gait... everything. She was amazing... I'm really lucky to have ended up in this situation, compared to almost all other men. It was the first time I felt blessed since this whole situation began...

"Need help with that?" I ask out the car window, and immediately bite my tongue. He's certainly struggling with that propane tank, trying to hoist it up into the front trunk of this silly little sports car, and I'm sure he doesn't need to be reminded how he's lost so much physical strength since the virus.

Thankfully, he's able to get the the tank into the car and celebrates with a cheer and a double-biceps pose for me which I clap and holler at from the other side of the windshield. Recently he's been a little more accepting of the changes in his body and it's good to see him joke around like this.

We had decided to get the propane first, before our other chores, from the exchange station they have set up outside in the parking lot. Technically we were supposed to bring our old empty canister back before taking a new one, but the attendant is letting it slide on the promise "sweety" here will "come back and visit her".

He's able to get the trunk closed - barely - over the tank and we pull out to a parking spot. Walking in we chit chat about the heat. It's a sweltering day and it'll be hot in the mall unless - oooo! - might they have the AC working?!? He's guessing they won't; that would be a strain on the fragile electric grid and a hard luxury to justify. But I say maybe that's why the parking lot - though still just a smattering of cars - seems more full than usual. We'll see!

I double-check to make sure I have the vouchers we need and we head inside...

Her asking me if I would be alright with the propane tank did sting a little. I needed to be manly in certain ways, if only to make myself feel like I had purpose. Stupid genetic, gender role sort of thing. It nagged at me for a little while afterwards, though not as much as it would have a week or two ago. I was sort of worried about coming back and bringing our old propane tank in... the way the attendant looked at me made me uncomfortable. Hopefully she wouldn't be the one working that day...

When we got into the mall, of course, the AC wasn't working. I felt a pang of pride at being right... I had to savour the small things, as small as this was. It was still quite busy though. I figure this was mostly due to the mall having just been opened, as well as a few luxury stores.

We walk around for a bit, with Val checking just about every open store to see what's available. I don't really care so much, though I'm being patient because she seems extremely happy to be here. Eventually we make our way to the spa/health club...

"So, I'm guessing you'll be a bit longer than me because you want to get your hair touched up, nails done, all that fun stuff right?" I was hoping she wouldn't take that much longer, as hanging around the mall by myself could invite some unwanted attention.

"I'll wait for you until you finish..." I was pretty nervous about getting into the showers and such... would there be women inside? Maybe ones who wanted to come to the mall with their men, but unable to leave them unaccompanied? Gah... I shouldn't think about that. We make our way through the entrance, to be greeted by a fairly large women working at reception...

"Hiiiii..." she greets us, the spandex gym bunny behind the desk, "you two here for, like, a workout?" Though a workout sounds great - I have such motivation to exercise since the virus hit, and they're encouraging women to stay fit - I tend to do my lifting at the gym that's been open nearer our house. It's not a big place like this one, previously one of a nationwide chain of fitness clubs - but I like it cuz it's so close.

"No thanks, not today," I reply, smiling, admiring her super-toned, busty physique that was getting more common these days, "just the showers for us both...then I may run next door to the salon for a little makeover and.."

"Oooo they have the blow driers workinggg..!"

"Oh my will miracles ever cease!" I laugh, a pang of jealousy at the jiggles I see in her. I wish he let me wear clothes like this. I swear she's all ass boobs and hair, tiny waist long thin neck, and she's dressed to show it off.

"So...showers? Going in togetherrrrr?" she asks, gathering towels for us.

Last time we came here he went in to the men's showers alone and had the place to himself, but I'm always a little concerned for him when he's out of my sight for too long. I look to him...

"What do you think babe?" I ask, as I take two towels from her, "Want me in there with you?"

I breath a sigh of relief when Val responds that she won't be heading in for a work-out. I find it frustrating... she has so much energy and works out fairly often. It's beginning to show as well. I know she's getting more and more toned underneath all the clothing.

Thinking about that is rather humiliating actually, as I seem to be unable to build muscle anymore, not matter how hard I try. I went to the gym with her once before, but decided to go on my own after that, since she was able to outlast me. Thankfully, I still had the edge in actual strength... at least, I assumed I did. I'd rather not confirm it...

"Nah, I think I'd rather go by myself... ya know, have some time to think" I smile, but Val asking me if I'd rather go in with her made me absolutely certain I'd go by myself. Not to mention seeing her naked... well... that would be a bit much to handle. I'd rather not subject myself to that sort of temptation, especially in public.

I figure I'll probably be okay on my own. Last time it was empty... some women brought their men into the female shower. I grab my towel from the gym bunny, trying to avoid looking at her... her clothing is so, revealing, my god... and head into the men's shower.

Thankfully, the locker room is empty. I undress calmly, slowly. I figure Val may be a while so I can take my time. I go into the shower and begin to wash myself. I start singing softly, finally able to relax and forget about the world around me. After washing briefly I wrap a towel around my waist and head into the sauna... so amazing... I shut my eyes to rest.

This feels so gooood....

How amazing it is that the little things in life - a hot shower, make-up and blow-dry, getting your nails done - can become such huge sources of pleasure when everything else is taken away from you. This salon that the governments reopened is always one of the most popular stops in the mall. Lots of women obviously feel the same way, I guess, looking around as the girl finishes up on my pedicure.

With so few men left, most of these women are here for themselves, to make themselves feel better. But I know many of them are here to make themselves look better in the hope of attracting one of the few uncommitted males, those holdouts who for whatever their reasoning haven't attached themselves to a "wife". I know the government is trying to encourage these pair-ups as much as possible, and re-opening a beauty salon in times of such desperate need for basic life services is probably a reflection of that.

Still, it is nice, being able to do this. Get myself pretty. I hope, secretly, that he'll eventually come around. It's inevitable, right? How lucky I am, I think, to have him already...

...and as if on cue, he walks in to find me.

I'm surprised she's nearly finished when I pop in to find her. I guess I was in the sauna a lot longer than expected. I may have even fallen asleep for a little while, which isn't healthy, of course, but it felt soooo good. When she gets up from the chair she was sitting in I realize just how good a job these stylists have done. Her hair looks so silky... everything about her looks perfect. I'm speechless for a second, and can feel my mouth hanging open. Her nails, her skin, her face... everything has been accentuated, and by the way she's smiling, she knows it...

We continue walking through the mall, making small talk as we pick up some groceries and other basic supplies. Lastly, we stop by the liquor store that's been set up. It's pretty busy, which makes sense. Most of the women seem like the single types; none bigger than what most would have initially grown to after the virus hit. It's possible they're lonely and wanting some way to distract themselves since they don't have a man. I get a lot of looks as we walk around, deciding on a wine for tonight. Most of the looks are full of lust... I can only imagine what they're thinking if they're single and looking to drown some loneliness... Some of looks are of jealousy, and directed at Val, though she seems to hardly notice. Frankly, considering how beautiful my wife looks right now, I barely notice as well.

Eventually we decide on three bottles of a fairly nice Spanish wine. I wanted to stick to just one, limit the possible risks, but Val convinced me we should get more. She didn't want to have to return to the mall just to get more if tonight went well. I wondered what she meant by well... I hope she didn't expect anything to... happen, but her argument made sense. It's possible a lot of this booze may disappear as well, so might as well take as much as you can when you can, right?

We made our way home. I was feeling very relaxed thanks to the shower and sauna and drove more slowly than usual. It felt incredible, walking back into the house. We'd only gone out to work for a bit, and then the mall, but it felt like I'd been away for ages.

"God... it's good to be home!" We put away what we'd bought, and then I collapsed on our living room couch. I was mentally exhausted, but thankful for my good mood. I should have been hungry, but these days I never had that huge of an appetite... maybe it's my bodies inability to create any new mass? Gah, I shouldn't think about stuff like that...

"Well you'll be hungry after you see what I cook up for you!!" I claim, placing a glass of Rioja in front of him, "You just relax on the couch, I'll get dinner ready..." Still, maybe, on a little bit of a high from the way he looked at me when he came into the salon to collect me, I feel giddy and eager to please him.

When I brag about what I'm going to cook, it's all sort of relative. It's a little bit of a joke. With what we're limited to, food-wise, after the whole global apocalypse thing, keeps our menus on the simple side.

Tonight though I get to use the microwave!

Soon I'm kneeling down on the living room carpet across the coffee table from him as we both "cheers" one another - he's on his second glass - over a meal of instant mac n cheese, canned meat and (we were lucky enough to score these today) fresh green beans.

"How about a toast," I ask, "to another day in paradise?"

Back
Top Bottom