Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Demon Within

27875725996_0c7b37b801_m.jpg
Tara blinks at the loud hammering at her door. Did another tree come down? No...that wouldn't create the rhythmic hammering at her front door. She slowly rolls to her side and check the clock. 11:45pm, almost midnight.

Who could possibly be up here this late?? She shrugs into her bathrobe and pads barefoot towards the door. Tara is staying for the summer at her families cabin. There's some work that needs done and she enjoys doing it. Besides, it's always been a safe area.

Still, her heart is pounding as she grabs a tire iron and partially opens the door. She keeps the iron hidden against her leg as she studies the man. “...do you have any idea what time it is?! I could have shot you.”

Her eyes are narrowed as she studies him, eyes seeking any hidden weapons. She's exhausted and must not be thinking clearly because she can't think of a single good reason for him to be up here.

He'd have had to go up her long and winding driveway a good mile to reach the house. He'd have had to leave the main road to do so and her house is not visible from the main road.

Tara can only pray he doesn't mean any harm because she lied about having a gun. So, she fakes it. She fixes him with her best glare and tries to hide her trembling hands​

The man holds up his hands, "now now, hold up I do.t mean any harm," he says as he looks at her, "I was out hunting, deer round here get pretty big," he said, which wasn't a lie at all. He had a calm but slightly nervous tone, "I got lost, forgot my GPS back in my truck, I have been wandering for a few hours, didn't even know there was a cabin here, but I'm praying I'm glad there is,"

With the thin amount of light shining on him she could see he was covered in dirt, not completely, but enough that he either tripped, or was lying in it for a while. On his back was a rifle, but it was hard to make it out, though it was tied tight to his back, didn't look like he would be able to swing it out at a moment's notice.

He sighed, "all I need is a phone, mine is dead, been dead for hours, just gotta call a buddy to get me," he said, "if that's too much then just point the way back to a road, ill walk it from there," he said as he looked back to the woods, seeming to scan it.

Tara hesitates and then nods. "Wait here" She closes the door firmly and flips the deadbolt. She returns several minutes later with a bottle of water and her cell phone. She hands them both to the man. "...do you need food?" Momma always told her to be hospitable, but this probably wasn't what she had in mind.

He looks...well, he looks like he's telling the truth. It's easy to get turned around in these woods. "...you're from out of town?" She's still wary and doesn't trust him a bit. But what harm could a bowl of soup do? She'll give it to him out here. "wa.it here"

She closes, and locks, the door again. This time returning with a tray. She has a bowl of slightly warmed tomato soup and a roll of crackers. Tara sits the tray on the floor and retreats to the safety of the door frame. She's still holding the tire iron in one hand.

"...you can sit here until your buddy comes"

He nods, "I appreciate it, just give me a moment," he says as he quickly dials the number...

"Hey, it's Jack...yeah that Jack...I told you I was hunting today...yeah up the mountain, where else?...you never answered me...fine, sorry, look I need a hand...look I'm stuck up the mountain, sort of lost...yeah apparently that road leads to a house...20 minutes..yeah thanks," he hangs up and hands o phone back.

"Sorry bout the trouble," he says simply as he slowly straps the rifle and sets it a bit away, in the light and sits. Groaning he takes a sip and eats slowly, he seems quite tired and beat, who knows how long he was out there.

Soon..20 minutes have gone by, in silence as he sits and waits, seeming half asleep.

Tara peeks out the window, watching him sit there. It's been nearly half an hour. She lets the curtain fall close and continues reading her book. When she looks up again, an hour has past. But..she hasn't heard any cars. She sighs and picks up her phone. No missed calls. Is he lost? Tara presses the redial button, planning on giving directions.

But the phone just rings...and rings and finally goes to voicemail.

She hesitates, then sighs and opens the door. "your friend isn't answering and it's been awhile. Do...do you want a ride to the road?" She gestures to an old work jeep. "Gun will stay in the bed...ok?"

He looked half asleep, "h..huh, oh..um, yes thank you, maybe he is waiting," he said as he stood, picking up the rifle he unloaded it, pocketing the clip and holding the empty rifle, "I am sorry for all the castle I have been, once I'm at the road just let me out, even if he isn't there I will just walk," he told her as he waited for her to head to the car.

It had started raining a bit ago, and this seemed to make the man a bit unsure, he seemed a bit more nervous in the rain. He waited as she did what she needed, staying out of the rain until she needed help or was ready.

Tara, still in her bathrobe and slippers, secures the rifle to the gun rack. They don't even own guns but it came with the truck. She shivers slightly in the rain and hurries to the front of the jeep. It's quickly unlocked and started. Tara looks at him and waits, silently until he's buckled himself in. Only then does she slip the truck into drive.

Her headlights illuminate the forest as she winds her way down. She's going slow, it's dark and the deer have been known to jump out. As they reach the main road, Tara slams on the brakes.

An SUV is overturned in the ditch and it..It looks like the underside has been torn away. There's chunks of metal strewn across the road and what appears to be blood stains. The blood coats the underside of the SUV and a trail of it disappears into the woods.

"...oh...fuck" Almost without thinking, Tara slams the truck into reverse before stopping again. "...your friend...?"

The man is silent as he looks over the scene, though it seems his silence is not a sorrow one, he seems more a fixed on the damage more then anything, "h..He is dead," he says quietly as if he knows what happened, "back up the hill, but slowly," he says.

Suddenly there is a slight shake, the car vibrates a bit, and off into the woods a few trees shake, then all is still. After a few seconds a stronger shake, a loud crash is heard as it sounds like a small trees has fallen in the woods, then silence once more.

This silence lasts a bit longer, but instead of a shake a scream is heard, one that sounds far from human, and it is only then that the two can see two fairly large red eyes what thing through the woods. The eyes are easily 9-10 feet off the ground, and seem to be watching the car, waiting for something.

The man takes a few short breaths, "o..ok, remember how I said slow...fuck that..get us to the house..quickly," he said, "if I..I'm right, once we get away from here we are safe..." He sounds unsure but also sure at the same time...what did know he know?

Tara's hands are trembling on the wheel but she does what he says. The truck slowly rolls backwards, inching up the hill. "...a...a bear can't get through a car, not that easily!" Her eyes are focused on the red, glowing orbs. A bear would have gone back to all fours by now, why...what is it! Her head jerks towards the man as he orders her to the house. There's an urgency to his voice that prompts her to obey.

She slams the car into drive and goes into the ditch as she turns around. Tara risks a glance back before she guns it. The truck lurches and jerks as it comes back to the drive, then lunges forward. Tara's never driven this fast up the winding drive and the truck nearly goes into the ditch a few times.

As they approach the house, Tara's still speeding. The truck wipes around and stops mere inches from the porch. Her head turns but nothing is coming. Not that she can see.

Tara's door slams open and she pours out if it, running towards the house.

The man seems to take his time as he gets out, going to the back to retrieve his rifle as he reloads it and slowly makes his way to the house, watching the woods as he does so, ready for anything. Soon they are both inside the house and he sighs, "ok, we are safe for now," he says as he looks to her, "just..just go to bed, forget you saw anything, and..everything will be normal by day break," he said as he sat at her door, "I'll just have a quick nap.and ill be gone before you wake," he said.

He seemed so calm, though under that exterior he was ready to break down, he had a close call, had the beast chased..well..his secret would be out. He couldn't afford that, it would risk her life, and his, if anyone..or anything..knew about it. But all was well, he knew the beast wouldn't come here, his prey was below, and to travel to catch it was unlike his kind.

As the door slams shut, Tara grasps her phone. She frantically dials 911 only to get a no service alert. She curses loudly and rather creatively. This always happens when it storms and she can hear he rainfall getting louder and harder. Panic filled eyes turn towards the hunter. "What was that thing?! It's not a bear...w...are we safe??"

She looks around, there's large picture windows and a sliding glass door in the back! Tara jerks the curtains closed and whimpers with fear. "just...go to sleep. With that..THING out there!?"

He turned to the woman and sighed as he leaned against the wall, fatigue hitting him hard, "I..its a vampire blood breeder," he sighed, "I have been hunting it for ages, just, it stays away from the light, it blinds it," he said with a groan as he held his side as he sat against the wall.

Tara turns towards him, blinking slowly in confusion. "T...what? Vampire?" Her head shakes as she silently considers her options. The thing she saw did not match any animal she knows and he....she's inclined to trust me.

"let's say I believe you. How do we keep it away? garlic?"

He shook his head, "bright lights and silver tipped bullets," he explained as he caught his breath and seemed more calm, "The light blinds them, making it easy to escape, and also they won't go near the light either," he looked to her, "I'm not sure why silver works but it does, one or two shots with a silver tipped bullet tends to kill them,"

Tara shivers slightly and glances around. "I don't have any sliver....but..." She takes a few stumbling steps to the wall. She flips a series of switches, turning on the outside lights. The front of the house is brightly illuminated now. She moves to the couch and sits there. Her hands and body trembling as she looks at the man.

"that....that can't be real. It...vampires aren't real!"

(Sorry about delay)

He looked at her and sighed, "y..yeah, it isn't something that you easily accept," he looked out the window and shook his head, "I know I sound crazy but take something to calm yourself and try and sleep, once day comes this will all be a bad memory I'm sure,"

Back
Top Bottom