Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Creating Not A Game, But A World

Status
Not open for further replies.

I_Am_Nobody

Supernova
We all find it enjoyable to enter a roleplay looking for some relatively simple smut, myself included. But I've found that the writing partnerships that last the longest and stick with me the most are the ones where we don't just write a simple scenario, but both contribute to writing the world around it. The characters do not exist in a vacuum; each of them has backgrounds, events in their pasts, friends, rivals, enemies. Spectators that witness what occurs between the main characters and utterly unrelated events that nevertheless complicate the characters' lives. One of my favorite and longest lasting writing partners is someone I met here on Bluemoon, and through dozens of smaller games she and I have created a vast, interconnecting multiverse featuring different iterations and variants of our same characters.

Because I'm always looking for more of a good thing, I'm seeking anyone else out there who in interested not in writing a single situation between two individuals, but in using those situations to craft and reveal a larger world around it. The best single word I can think of for this concept is Immersion. As an example, think of any movie you've seen or video game you've played where much of the backstory and exposition was never explicitly revealed to you. Instead it was in the never-acknowledged newspaper box with a headline declaring War On The Horizon, or a recruitment poster on a wall for a cult that will soon overrun the space station, or a radio station playing the alien overlord's propaganda. The pedestrians wandering out the city, each with their own patterns, conversations and desires. The antagonist who came out of nowhere until you realize he's been in the background of half a dozen other cutscenes. All of the little touches, remembrances, and details that emphasize that this isn't just an isolated series of events but a single story being told in a world that is full of them, with people that didn't spring into existence the moment the story began.

The following are just a few examples and guidelines to hopefully better illustrate what I'm looking for.

-- Desanitized Fandom Worlds - We all understand why movie/tv show/game worlds are sanitized by their creators and companies. No one wants to explain to a ten-year old how sex works, so Pokemon breeding involves eggs mysteriously appearing and the question of where human's food comes from is never mentioned. But we all know what's really going on here; pokemon are sexing each other, and either everyone is a vegan or certain pokemon types are raised for meat.

-- Slice of Life - A slave's purpose in the bedroom is certainly clear, but what about the rest of the house? Is the slave's entire life controlled just as strongly or are there moments where freedom beckons? How might the relationship affect things if owner and slave work in the same office building?

-- Realistic within Itself - This doesn't mean that everything has to be completely realistic. If we're playing a game in modern times where unintelligent griffins are raised as beasts of burden and vampires are a well-kept secret, that's awesome. But it's a huge problem when griffins start campaigning for citizenship and a vampire openly runs for office. Part of what I find so interesting to write is acknowledging the rules of a strange new world and exploring the logical outcomes of those rules.

--Consequences - I know that half the reason many people come here is to explore different kinks without consequences; they can strip on camera without it ending up online, or have unprotected sex without fear of disease. But the soul of story is conflict, and interesting consequences can create amazing conflicts. A queen toys with her favored knight, and must convince the king the resulting child is his. Someone snapped a photo of the mos boss' son with a known FBI agent. A pokemon trainer 'rewards' one of her pokemon, but isn't prepared to stop it when it decides it wants another taste.

--Long-Term or Vignettes - Whether it's a long, elaborate story or several small scenes in a larger world, what matters is the sense of scale and indication that these events do not exist in a vacuum.

--Sense of Scale - Speaking of scale, it's always more fun to play when the stakes are higher, isn't it? Whether it's the fate of the kingdom or the financial well-being of an individual, these events are important in some way that affects far more than the single person or nation.

--Challenging Writing - A big part of what I'm looking for here is to challenge and push myself, and hopefully my partner as well, as a storyteller and writer. Maybe you've always wanted to try writing a story as a series of letters between characters, or have multiple interconnecting storylines play out at once, or you've read something and wondered 'how did the writer do that?' Let's see if we can find out.

I know this isn't exactly a typical request thread; I'm less seeking a specific story or pairing and more a specific sort of writer. As such, I'm also not going to provide any pairings or specific story ideas. The goal here is to find a partner I can build something with, not play out a scripted concept from the get-go.

I am not demanding you PM me with your ideas when I have presented none; that would hardly be fair of me. But let's have a conversation. Let's talk about whether we think we're a good fit. I've plenty of old posts and threads you can take a look at; if you don't have the same (from mostly playing through PMs or something) I will ask you send me a sample. (It can be a copy-paste from another game, I'm fine with that.)

What I will provide are some general themes and notes to be considered.
-- Fair warning; my time and inspiration for writing vary wildly. Sometimes I can manage a post a day, other times I can barely manage a post a week.
-- I'm willing and able to write male and female characters. Things like futanari, herms, and others can be discussed. I avoid M/M, but pretty much any other combo can be discussed.
-- If using the dom/sub dynamic, my characters tend towards dom or middle-ground. I'm willing to write sub but have much less experience at it.
-- My posts are generally two to three paragraphs at least, going up to entire pages if working with someone who enjoys such lengthy posts. I don't demand any particular length but I do have a very hard time getting into games where I only get a few sentences to work off of.

-- Stories where the unusual or taboo becomes commonplace; slavery is legalized, students are required to attend classes in the nude for a week, cloned human-animal pets become popular. What would still be taboo in such worlds? What social barriers would fall and what new ones would be erected?
-- Dark characters, stories and themes. The warlord rampaging through the countryside, the corrupt executive, the destruction of a happy home.
-- Romance with some element of the forbidden, the dangerous or the unusual. Our characters may have the fluffiest romance in the world, but it's just not interesting to me without some form of complication inherent within the relationship.
--Struggles for control, mental and physical battles for some form of prize or dominance.
-- Stories with more than two main characters, whether as an ensemble piece (MMFF) or harems in either direction (MMMF or MFFF)
--Story and Conflict. "Two individuals meet and then they hump" is a perfectly fine storyline for a short game and one I've enjoyed myself, but it's not what I'm looking for here.

I believe that's everything for now. If you're still reading by this point and think we'll be a good match, feel free to PM me. Or you can just post here and call me a pretentious dick, it's a valid viewpoint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom