Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Burgeoning Dreams of Steam and Magic [-:IronicallyHaru:-]

Bell gawked back and forth from Staf to Nevyn, a look of alarm bluntly seeping on her face. “Woah, wait. You mean to tell us that if this does not go as planned we will pay with our blood?” The girl paced around the small area, distraught over the situation entirely. It was different when your life was on the line, this wasn’t no stroll in the park.

Your brother is a very well and bright guardsman and I am sure that he knows of a few tricks up his sleeve.” Ravness replied, eyes following the hysterical young girl. She wasn’t taking a liking to the situation, and already she knew it was going to be hard to persuade her.

We’re talking about the kingdom here, though. Not one or two guards will try and track the Prince and Princess, no. A LOT of them will! They’re apart of the kingdom for a reason and know their own tricks. Especially if there are bounties over our heads. They’ll know we were the ones who had done it. Who else just goes off and disappears along with you?” Bell continued her furious pacing, not even wanting to look Nevyn in the eye.

Ravness folded her arms against her bosoms, veering her eyes towards Staf with a concerned look. If Bell continued to act this way then it would be troublesome. “I know this is a tough situation but think about the freedom. You and your brother will be free, no rules or boundaries.

I would have just never came here if I wanted that.” Bell protested, stopping her footsteps to stare at the Princess. Finally she glanced over to Nevyn, giving him an apologetic stare. “I want to be with my brother forever, I never want to leave his side. I am just so scared for the worse. I don’t want my life to be slayed. Especially his…

Nevyn knew the score and tried to explain to his sister. "The problem, Bell, lies in the fact that if we are caught then the Royals here bear little responsibility. Even if they would admit to the idea being theirs, we would be charged with their kidnapping and they would receive, maybe, a slap on the wrist while we'd be hanged, or burned, or dismembered. There is no downside for them, only us." Nevyn said, and looked at Staf with a steely gaze. Not one of challenge, but of a man that knew the risks. "You're going to have to offer us more than simply freedom. Your armies stole our country from us, deposed my sister and I, and now you come to us and ask for help?!"

Nevyn was not so naive as to think he would get much, but there had to be something.

Staf frowned a little. "What is it that you want then? Gold? Jewels? I can give you such things."

"But that doesn't much matter if we're dead now, does it? No, I need some sort of guarantee. A way for my sister and I to escape and make our own freedom away from you. That way, even if we're caught, we're not tied to you in any way." Nevyn said. "I'm not sure how it would be done, but I want us away from here, no longer under the yoke of your family or your kingdom."

Staf thought and finally nodded. "You have a deal. I'll have to figure out how it can be done, but other than getting us out of here and away from this place, you'll not be tied to us in any way." He truly didn't know how that would be done, but it would guarantee the freedom of Nevyn and his sister. "I could pen a writ of freedom for you. It would be good in any Kingdom save that of my mother and father. You know that so long as they live there is nothing I can say or do that would guarantee your safety. Perhaps from anyone but them." Staf explained, which was the truth, since not even the Prince or Princess could undo the word of the Crown.

Nevyn sighed, but he knew it to be true. Taking off his gauntlet he extended a hand. "I take you as a man of your word, and I will help you. Tonight, while the others are under the effects of the fete, and sleeping, or afterward, we will have our chance. You must be prepared to fly."

Thinking a moment, Staf nodded and extended his hand, taking the calloused grip of Nevyn into his own. It was not uncommon for a massive orgy to follow a fete, accompanied by alcohol and opium as well, and escaping then would be as good a time as any. "Where should we try to meet?" Staf asked, knowing that they could go anywhere in the Palace.

Thinking a moment Nevyn said, "The gates by the stables should be just fine. Bring your armor and your spear. Bell will act as handmaiden for the Princess and we will be going out for an early hunt close to dawn."

Soundlessly Bell and Ravness watched as their siblings chatted amongst one another, heads turning back and forth to who was currently speaking at the moment. The banter wasn’t as bad as what Ravness had thought it would be, and soon they settled down with an agreement.

Okay, it is a set plan.” Ravness replied, nodding affirmatively. “It will be a prime time to depart since everyone will be preoccupied. No one would suspect anything until they notice we are gone.” Ravness stated. “We should start going and getting prepared after an hour or two of the fete. If we leave now they might suspect something.” Ravness cocked her head towards the door, signaling that Callista was making her way over towards the gathering.

Bell didn’t respond, she didn’t know what to think of the situation. Her brother always knew what was best, so she bowed her head low and sealed her lips. The group separated ad went their own ways, Ravness sitting back down beside Jasper and Bell positioning herself back to the dessert table, cleaning up messes and dishing plates out. Ravness didn’t stay for too long, only sticking around for an hour and a half.

I apologize but I’m feeling rather tired. Today was a big event and I think it would be best to get some rest for the remainder of the night.” Ravness spoke as she removed herself from her seat, turning towards the Prince before giving him a cherry smile and a curtsied. “It was a pleasure to be with you today.” She fibbed, lips almost hurting as she tried to hold her fake smile.

“I look forward to our next meeting, my beloved.” Jasper gripped her shoulders before leaning in to kiss her tenderly on her cheek. It almost stung as his lips touched her skin, especially being so close to her lips. She wrinkled her nose in disgust afterwards, making sure he wouldn’t see her rude reaction.

Farewell.” Ravness waved a polite hand to bid him goodbye before locking eyes on Bell, motioning her over towards her with her head. Bell quickly patted her apron from the sugary sweets that found their way onto the piece of clothing, rushing to stand beside the Princess. “You are dismissed for the night, Callista. Enjoy yourself.” Ravness spoke before exiting out of the ball room with Bell, her fake smile instantly smearing away once they were away from the crowd. It was definitely a workout to keep that smile lingering.

Where are we going?” Bell asked as she stood close by the Princess, almost clinging to her. Ravness didn’t mind though.

We’re going to go to my bedroom, I have some light armor for you too as well as a dagger just in case.” Ravness huffed as she gripped her dress so it didn’t drag, climbing up the stairway to get to her room. “We probably should get everything set up for dawn before sleeping.” As time ticked by the young girls gathered their belongings, making a trip to where Bell was staying to gather her possessions. Dawn was close, the skies shifting to a lighter blue just before the sun started to make its entrance on the horizon. The girls woke up and began to work on their retreat. They readied themselves with light armor, equipping daggers on their thigh before sneaking out towards the gates by the stables.

The convenience of the situation seemed to point toward a bit a fate as Nevyn and Staf did not have to part ways, save for the short time they needed to gather a few things. Luckily the Crown Prince had a magical haversack and all the items they might need could be packed easily away. Staf let Nevyn go to his quarters and would soon meet him there to allow the Guardsman to use the haversack as well. "Do you know how to hunt? I've been out a few times, and am decent with a spear. Ravness is competent with a sword and a spear as well."

"A sword won't do much good hunting, but myself and my sister are decent with a bow and we fish as well. Were you wanting to make your way away from here on horseback? We could go farther down the coast and perhaps catch a ship. That would be even faster." Nevyn suggested. Not only did he want to be away from here, he wanted to do it quickly. The more distance they could put between themselves and Waterdeep then the better it would be.

Staf thought a moment. "The fastest way would be by airship but I don't think we'd be able to do that without attracting a lot of attention. At least here in the city. We'll think of something. Let's get to the girls." he said.

The two males moved with purpose through the halls of the Palace, the sounds of the revelry echoing a bit from the Grand Hall, the drinking and partying having carried on throughout the evening and now into the wee hours of the morning. Nevyn was still in his armor, accompanying the Prince as he was ordered to do, and they made their way out toward the stables. Their sisters waited there, and four of the best mounts were taken. The South Gate was the closest and yet they had to not only get out of the Palace Grounds, convincing the guards there to let them go, but then through the city to that gate without being recognized. With this in mind Staf had brought cloaks for the lot of them, that they couldn't change into until they were well off the Palace Grounds.

Staf rode at the front of their little procession and reached across to his sister to take her hand and give it an encouraging squeeze. Behind them, Nevyn lifted the faceplate of his armor and smiled at Bell. This was their chance. Their chance to maybe, finally and truly, start over. He had brought the bow that Bell practiced with, and soon they had arrived at the gates that led off the grounds. Though Staf had prepared to argue their case to be allowed to leave, much to their surprise there were no guards at the gate. Pausing there a moment Staf turned to the others. "This is strange. Normally I would say that we should investigate, but perhaps this is another sign we're doing the right thing. Let's move on." he said.

The four would exit the unmanned gate and once out of sight the dark cloaks that Staf had brought were able to be put on. This allowed them at least a modicum of anonymity as they moved through the streets of the city, the populace only just now beginning to wake. Because of the relative emptiness of the streets they made good time and soon could exit the city, the guards at the gates at their posts this time, but their jobs not to question people actually leaving, only those wanting to enter.

Ravness raised a brow, no guards in sight. “I bet they wanted to join the party.” She guessed as she shrugged. It was questionable, but no sense in worrying about it. Especially if it would no longer be any of our concerns.” She rode right beside Staf as Nevyn and Bell rode beside each other as well. Without any more questions they passed through the gate unknowingly, disappearing in the shadows once their cloaks concealed their identity.

Good think we’re wearing armor that doesn’t look too vibrant to show that we came from the castle.” Bell bowed her head to peer at her attire, preferring her maid outfit than the heaping metal that seemed to suffocate her tiny frame. It also got too hot inside, sweat beading on top of her hairline.

Where do you think we should run off to? Nevyn, you’re good with the streets I’ve heard. I am sure you know of a few secluded area’s we can reside at before concluding to our final destination.” Ravness spoke with high authority, living up to her reputation. It was a habit since it was in her bloodline to talk with such elegance. Even if it did come off as insolent at times.

And I was smart enough to pack plenty of food for the day’s events.” Bell chimed in, smiling as she felt as if she had done something right.

Thank you very much Bell. Your dessert is delicious, I am sorry I didn’t compliment it sooner.” Ravness grinned at the young girl, boosting up her self-esteem. Bell gasped silently in shock before bashing her lashes and blushing a cherry red.

Thank you, Princess.” Bell replied, giggling amongst herself like a school girl.

Please, call me Ravness. Especially when we are out in the open like this.” She replied. The two girls were beginning to nurture a beautiful friendship.

Once outside the city gates, the majesty of Waterdeep just behind them, Nevyn turned to Staf and said, "It seems the girls are getting along. That's a good thing. As to where we should go, I assume you have some sort of plan? Are we heading to allies of yours, or do you have a specific destination in mind?" He was merely curious, and though Staf and Ravness were relying on him somewhat, if they had people that could help them then it was best to speak about it now.

Staf shook his head. "Unfortunately, no. I am afraid that anyone we might normally seek help from would simply turn us back home, or at least inform our parents of where we are. Staf lamented.

Nevyn sighed a bit but nodded. It made sense. "We should definitely be careful then, and simply move about as travelers, perhaps even adventurers. This is an awful lot of trouble just to avoid getting married, but I do understand the sentiment." he told Staf, a meaningful look sent in the direction of Bell. He'd never allow her to marry another, and his sister was the dearest person in the world to him. Nevyn smiled as he saw the rapport growing between Bell and Ravness.

There was no missing the look that Nevyn gave his sister, and the toone in his voice as well. Staf smiled, realizing their might be kindred spirits in Bell and Nevyn as to him and his own sister. There was some small bit of information though that Staf had to ask about. "So, Nevyn, rumor has circulated that you might have ties to the Old Power. Liek so many royal bloodlines might have. I was wondering if there was any truth to that."

The question was a bit odd, not unexpected, but certainly forthright and without much tact. However, what did he expect from the Prince. It was well known regarding Staf and his own ties to the Old Power, the leopard within the Prince a powerful animal to be sure. Nevyn didn't mind sharing as he thought about it, and knew that such information could prove useful. "I have ties to that power, yes. A panther." he admitted.

The revelation sent a thrill through Staf. Many had ties to the Old Power, but their numbers were dwindling, and generations were often skipped. This brought another bond to the growing relationship between the four of them. "Interesting. Perhaps you can show us sometime." he said.

The four of them traveled in a roughly norteastern direction, as they followed the River Dessarin. Further north they could catch a ferry across the river, or even further still use one of the two main bridges that crossed the water.

Back
Top Bottom