Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Marie's Random Drabble Thread (Comments Welcome)

Marie Massacre

Supporter
Supporter
So, I'll be posting some fanfiction. Some poetry, some random works. I'll probably label it in the subject of each individual post so that it doesn't get lost. I'll start us off with one of my favorite poems, took an honorable mention in my college's literary magazine's poetry division for this one...

Panic!

Panic!
When I looked into those picturesque teal eyes,
That was what I saw.
Drops of crimson,
Streaked through purple bruises.
They consider me sordid,
But I find it liberating.
They say you turn blue,
Once you stop breathing.
But her beautiful face,
It was turning purple.
As I felt the life leave her body,
I knew they'd investigate soon.
And that's exactly what I want,
But they'll never catch me.
Goodnight my dear.​

Silence: Words Unspoken

The topic of this poem was hard for me to talk about for a long time. I finally had the courage when I wrote this poem and read it out loud in front of my creative writing class. Never let it be said that writing doesn't help people...

Silence: Words Unspoken

Silence,
Cries go unheard in the dark.
Sweat and cologne mix,
The pungent smell assaulting my nose.
A hand over my mouth,
And whispers in my ear.
This isn’t happening,
Not to me.
Too many drinks,
And too much trust.
How could he do this?
He’s my leader.
Hurt, pain, betrayal.
A rush of emotions,
None of them good.
My head rushes,
His breath ragged in my ear.
Tears fall freely from my eyes,
He simply ignores that they’re there.
No sooner was he there,
Then he was gone.
And I was left to think.
To think of trust broken,
Lives changed,
And Words Unspoken.​

Vengeance

This story was another that helped me in my rode to recovery. I'm still on that road, and it's been a long one. It also happens to be the back story for one of my D&D Characters on my Wix page. Morthel.

Vengeance​

Morthel pushed up from the forest floor, wiping a bit of blood from her lip. Her entire body ached, she didn’t think there was an inch of here that wasn’t bruised, or bloody. She didn’t know what a group of humans had been doing in the realm of the Wood Elves, but the condition in which she had been left, indicated that their intentions had been anything but pure.
They had attacked her while she was hunting, smashing her head against a tree to knock her off balance. Her vision blurred when her head hit the tree. Tears welling in her eyes. A yelp erupting from her lips as they pushed her to the ground. As much as she tried to fight them, it only made their reactions worse. Fists slamming into her cheekbones, and jaw. Feet kicking her in the ribs, the legs. After that, she couldn’t really tell what happened, her head was spinning and she was fairly out of her own head.
Next thing she knew, she was waking up, her clothes ripped and torn. Her face and body bloody, and bruised. She brushed off the dirt that she could, though some of it was caked on with the blood. So that made it harder to get off her skin.
When she stood, she knew what had happened. The pain ripping through her lower abdomen to her that much. They had stolen her innocence, left her laying on the forest floor bleeding and broken. She would make them pay… No matter how long it took… Even if it killed her to do it, she would make them pay for this.
Morthel spent years, continuing her training to get stronger and better. As an elf, this was a small amount of time, it barely made any difference to her. Though it did make her stronger, strong enough that even the men within their tribe would not dare to challenge her. She had become a very powerful young woman, despite her petite size as an elf. Standing just over four feet tall, weighing a miniscule eighty pounds.
She had decided the night prior to that night that she was ready. She was going to find them, and she was going to make them pay for the things that they had done to her. She moved through the village, late that night. She didn’t want anyone to know she was leaving, she had become enough of a pariah when they found out that she had been attacked… She couldn’t let them know that she was hunting them down, to seek out her vengeance. Little did she know, she was being followed.
It wasn’t until she had left the village, and was headed for the towns populated by humans that he showed himself.
“Morthel, were you planning on just leaving? Not telling anyone that you were going?” The young male elf asked.
“Aranion… Please… I have to do this, the things they did to me… I have to get revenge… No one else can know. Not even the elders… I know that I am forbidden to leave, but I can’t let those men get away this… They stole everything from me,” Morthel said softly.
Aranion move in close, moving his hand up to her cheek. He saw her flinch when he touched her, making him sigh. “If you’re going to take vengeance on them…. I’m going to be there to help you…” He said. Pulling her into a tight hug.
Morthel nearly cried when she heard his words, he was willing to help her, even though it was forbidden.
They travelled for months, spending time in over fifteen cities trying to find them. They travelled together, finally, on the sixteenth city in a small tavern, they found them sitting there. Harassing another young elf, Morthel looked up at Aranion, and he nodded. “You look ravishing,” he whispered.
Morthel did look ravishing, long, rich chesnut hair that fell in soft cascading curls down her back. Rich, deeply tanned skin from being out in the sun for most of her life. High cheek bones, and sharp facial features that were so prominent within the elven races. A corset, tightened and enhancing her bust, and a long skirt flowing around her feet.
She moved over to the group of humans. “Hello boys, would… Would you like to have a little fun?” Morthel asked softly. Looking up at them, biting her lip gently. She prayed they wouldn’t recognize her. If they did, it would ruin everything.
Though, from their reactions she realized that they indeed did not recognize her. One placed their hand on her backside, making her flinch.
“Let’s go sweetheart,” one of the humans whispered.
“I have a room, it’s just upstairs…” Morthel said softly.
“Good, lead the way knife-ear…” The man said.
The term knife-ear was used to degrade and insult elves, no matter what race of elf you were, you found the term insulting. She tried not to let it show on her face, but her she was boiling on the inside. She lead them upstairs, Aranion was waiting in the room, hidden away in the rest room. This way she could get them relaxed.
Once they were inside, she made them all drinks, but they were laced with a type of toxin that would knock them out for enough time to tie them up and have them all in chairs waiting when they woke up. She was playing with her knife when the first one woke up. Looking into his eyes, she grinned.
“You don’t remember me… Do you?” Morthel asked softly.
“N… No… I don’t know you are...” The human said. Obviously panicked, evidenced by the look in his eyes.
Morthel punched him hard in the face. Tears welling in her eyes. “You and your friends… You came in the woods… Into the home of my people… You attacked me… You beat me… You raped me… And you left me to die!” She screamed. “I wasn’t even an adult! I was still a child! You took everything from me!”
The human’s eyes began to go wide, in realization. He remembered now… He remembered her. He had tried to talk his friends out of this. Her screams had haunted him every night. Her face had haunted his nightmares… He regretted everything that they did that night…
“I… I do remember you…” He said. Swallowing a bit, his face beginning to swell already from her punch.
Morthel smirked, she spent the next couple hours torturing the man. She hit him, she stabbed him, and sliced him open in multiple places. She could hear his screams, and she loved to hear it. The screams were therapeutic. Making her feel better the more he screamed. Though she knew that it would eventually attract attention. She had to hurry. She made fairly short work of the others… Until she came to the last one. The one she recognized the most... The one who had insulted her… The one who had attacked her initially and taken her back to the others that fateful day.
Morthel looked into his eyes. “You… I recognize you the most… It’s been a few years… You haven’t changed a bit…” She whispered.
The man’s eyes narrowed, as he spit at her. “Knife-ear bitch… I recognize you… We had our fun with you years ago…” He said.
Morthel wiped the spit off her face, and punched him. “I may leave you alive…” She whispered softly. “But I will not let you do this to another girl.”
She smirked at him, as his eyes widened in terror. She punched him again. Leaning in, and licking the blood off his cheek. “I’m going to make you pay for what you did to me…” She whispered.
He struggled against his bonds, but she had tied him tightly. She continued the punching for a long time, hours. Covering his body in bruises. “I should make you feel what I felt… But I’m not going to do that… I will make sure you never make another girl feel it again…” She said. The venom dripping from her words.
She picked up her dagger, looking into his eyes. “I’m sure you won’t miss it anyway… Not after a while anyway…” She said. She plunged her dagger into the crotch of his pants. His scream echoing through the tavern, I’m sure that a healer will find you… But you’ll never feel the same way again…”
Though, she quickly told Aranion that they needed to go. They slipped out the window, and heard the guards coming in after them.
They ran, escaping the city without incidence. She was glad that they got out before they had been caught. She wrapped her arms around Aranion. “Thank you so much,” she whispered softly. “I’m so glad that you came with me… I am sorry that you had to see what I did… It had to be done though…”
“I know… I know it had to be done…” Aranion said. “I know to keep you from becoming obsessed with vengeance… That this had to be done… It would have driven you mad…”

The Final Stand

The Final Stand​

I always knew the world would go to shit, but I never would’ve believed someone two years ago if they had told me it would happen in my lifetime. Yet, here I stand, looking out at the ruins of the town I once called home. Not that it was much of a town to begin with. Less than five hundred people, most of them my own family, one main road and not one stop light to be seen. Doesn’t get much more small town than our little town was, but its home. Well, at least it was… Before the war…

It all started about two and half years ago. When someone let it leak that Russia was testing nuclear weaponry near borders of ally countries, that’s when it all started. It started a panic. We thought it’s be another Cold War, but when they started sending mass amounts of troops to Europe, we knew this was the start of something else. This was the start of World War Three. None of us knew just how bad this war was going to get, and after five months of small battles all throughout Eastern Europe, and a small number of lives lost, things went from bad to worse. That’s when the bombing started. Something was different, off. These weren’t the nuclear weapons that everyone had expected. This was something completely different.
The bombs were filled with some weird chemical agent. It spread in the air, and started making people go crazy. I was in the Marines at the time. I was in Europe. So when I heard about the bombing back stateside, I began to worry. Were they dropping bombs near my family? Were my parents okay? Snail mail was the only real form of communication we had, in the war zone, our internet connection was shoddy at best. I just wanted to know that they were ok, and of course our higher ups were about as useless as tits on a boar hog for information. They got the same amount of information that we did, not much… So I waited. Not long after that was the first time I saw them for myself.
Some people called them zombie; other people had other names for them. For me they were target practice. They were wearing Russian uniforms when they shambled up. They had no bite marks or other noticeable wounds, but their skin greyed and decaying. Their eyes were glossy and, like they were blind… Or dead…
I don’t know how many men we lost in that first attack, but they didn’t stay dead long; soon they were trying to kill us just like the Russians. It was like they weren’t themselves anymore. Just like the Russians, we put them down. We didn’t have a choice. We fell back once they were all dead, and tried to figure out what had just happened. None of us were really sure at this point.
We found out sometime later that the Russians hadn’t been testing nuclear weapons. It was a chemical agent. One that affected the brain and nervous system, it cut off the human part of the brain and everything else. Everything but the brain stem, it turned people into mindless creatures, with only the basic motor skills, and a hunger, a hunger for human flesh.
It took us over a year to realize that this thing was spreading faster than we could fight it. People started running. We had more Marines go AWOL (Absent With Out Leave) after those battles than we had in seven deployments in Iraq and Afghanistan combined. So finally, I began to realize we didn't have the men to put up a fight if those things came back. We left, every single one of us boarded the first flights we could get back stateside. I told our Commander right where he could shove his orders, the government had fallen, there was nothing left to protect. Except ourselves and our families. What was left of us were on the first plane back to the states, and despite my better judgment, we all parted ways. Everyone but me and Alistair, my husband. It's a good thing too, I never would've made it out of Tampa without him...
We didn't even need to touch down in Miami to see the destruction that the bombs the Russians had dropped wrought. Buildings burnings, people dead, but they certainly hadn't stayed that way. Much like the Russians and our men, they had risen after their deaths. We were quick to get off the main highways and hit the back roads, avoiding large populations of people, the less people, the less likely we were to be over run. It seemed liked only the big cities were infected for the most part, life in the small towns was going on as if the whole world wasn't burning. I couldn't believe my eyes. We made it over half way there before we realized we'd have to get back on the high way. We didn't know the back way from here. We had to go through Tampa... That was the biggest mistake we made.
We should've never gone through Tampa, I wish now that we hadn't. Maybe Alistair would still be with me.

The stench of rotting flesh and burning buildings wafted into the war as we got close, and I couldn't help but gag a bit. It was awful.
"You ok Collins?" Alistair asked glancing over at me. Those deep brown eyes always did me in. They had been the first things I noticed about him.
"Alistair, what have I told you about that? We're not even in uniform, call me by my first name..." I said. Giving him a look he'd gotten from me more than once, a warning, letting him know just how annoyed I was going to get if he kept calling me Collins.
"Fine, fine. No need to give the stare of a thousand daggers. Are you ok Ariella?" Alistair asked. The cute half smirk, half smile coming across his features. That smile always did make me melt. No matter how mad I was at him, all he had to do was give me that stupid smile and I couldn't stay mad.
I feigned anger for only a few moments longer before a broke into a smile, and looked back to the road, letting out a cry as I swerved, trying to avoid the car that was coming at us. Sending us off the side of the rode and into a tree. After that, everything went black..
The next thing I remember was waking up with a throbbing headache and a sharp, stinging ache in my ribs. I blinked a few times, and looked around, attempting to orient myself. I definitely wasn't in the Tahoe anymore, but the question was, where was I? I tried to sit up, only to let out a yelp of pain and fall back onto my back again. The yelp brought Alistair running.
"Where the fuck are we?" I asked. Looking around, it almost looked like we were in a small trailer, but it was much too small. Probably some kind of camper.
"A group of people heard the crash, they're refugees from Tampa, and it’s completely overrun Ari. They said it was useless to even try and get through, and with the condition the Tahoe is in now, we'd never make it..." Alistair said softly. "You've got a couple cracked ribs, and a pretty nasty concussion, but other than that they said you should be fine. One of them is a medic, Army. He's the one that fixed you up."
"How are we going to get to family Alistair? We have to go through Tampa!" I said sitting up. I instantly regretted it. I cried out in pain, and he tried to get me to lie back down. I was having none of it.
“Are you listening to me Arielle? The city is completely overrun, it would be suicide! There’s got to be another way. We can’t go through Tampa!” Beginning to raise his voice a bit.

I regret that day every moment that passes. We went into the city, only because I was convinced there was no other way. They told there was a way around, but it would take us two days longer to get to my family. So we found a working car, and got our supplies out of the wrecked Tahoe. We drove into Tampa that day, and I’ll never forget what we saw…

The city was in flames, buildings crumbling all around us. I bit my lip and rolled up the windows, they were only cracked just a bit, but it was enough to let in the smell of smoke, and burnt flesh. Alistair was driving this time. He was trying to act like he wasn’t mad at me. He didn’t hide it very well. He got this little twitch in his hand when he got mad, and his hand was twitching on the wheel that day.
I just looked out the window. We were silent for most of the drive, till we turned down a road and saw a horde of those things. Both of our eyes widened, and Alistair quickly shifted the car into reverse, getting out of there as quickly as we could. As we saw the zombies coming after us, I looked over at Alistair, he knew I was scared. Just from looking into my eyes. He began to back up, I wasn’t sure what he was doing, but when he turned the wheel sharply, and popped up onto the sidewalk I realized he was going to move around the road block.
Soon, we found a small checkpoint; it looked like it had been military, but all the soldiers were on the ground, dead. They had been overrun. I looked around, the horde wasn’t following us anymore.
“Stay here, I’m going to go get a few of those weapons and some extra ammo… It looks like we’re gonna need it…” I said softly.
“You be careful, and watch your six… I’ll keep the car running, something happens, get the hell outta there and get back over here as fast as you can… I know you can run… Get back over here and I’ll get up out of here…” Alistair said. He was looking into my eyes, his expression dead serious.
I nodded at him, leaning over the center console and kissing him gently on the lips. “I’ll be ok, I promise…” I told him. I almost felt like I was telling myself that. I scanned the area one more time and opened the car door. I began moving toward the checkpoint. Seeing at least fifteen soldiers laying on the ground, their bodies mangled and gnawed on. I held back the vomit that threatening to rise in my throat as I shook my head, grabbing the M16s. Slinging three on my back, running back to the car.
I opened up the back and threw the other three rifles in, I knew I had to go back for the ammo. I rushed back over, keeping one M16 with me for cover. I searched a few of the soldiers for ammo, coming up with nothing. I groaned, but then, sitting on the ground in the guard shack, was a full crate of 5.56mm ammunition. I’d hit the jackpot. I slung the M16 and grabbed the crate. Running back to the car with it, pushing into the back next to the rifles.
“Just let me do one more run, grab the vests… I know these things don’t tote guns, but still… We’re better safe than sorry…” I told him.
“Ariella don’t! You’re tempting fate, I don’t want you going back out there!” Alistair shouted.
I shook my head, utterly ignoring Alistair’s warning. We were both military, both Marines. I ran back over to the soldiers, grabbing a few of the stacked up vests. Covering my mouth and nose to keep from puking. I was over half way back when I felt something grab my leg. My rifle tumbling out of my hands and clamoring to the asphalt below. Looking back, one of the soldiers I had thought was dead, wasn’t so dead anymore. He was grabbing onto my leg, groaning and snapping his teeth at me. I let out a soft curse and strained, trying to reach for my rifle.
I knew one bite was all it would take was one bite from this thing and I was done for. I quickly reared my other leg up, and kicked the soldier hard in the face. Crumbling his rotten lower jaw, and facial cavity. He didn’t let go though. Looking up, the color drained from my face as I saw the horde that we had earlier lost catching up with us.
There were a few behind me, and a large number ahead of me, blocking my way to the car. Soon enough though I heard gun fire, and looked up. Seeing Alistair standing in front of me. He shot the zombie clinging to my leg and handed me my rifle.
“You know, I have to say I told you so, but…” I cut Alistair’s bragging off with a sound ‘shut up’.
We were surrounded and the car was about twenty meters away. I cursed softly. Alistair and I moved back to back, that way we had full coverage, but soon enough I heard a click from my rifle. Then, the sound that shattered my heart. A scream from Alistair. My head shot around to look at him, a chunk of flesh missing from his arm, he had managed to knock back the zombie and shoot it.
“Get back to the car... I’ll distract them… I’m already dead now…” Alistair told me. His voice cracking a bit.
“No, Alistair… Please God don’t say that...” I said frantically. I pulled my side arm from him hip, shooting zombies. Tears already beginning to prick at my eyes and cloud my vision. “We’ll make it out of here baby… We’ll… We’ll find a cure…” I was having a hard time choking back the sobs that threatened to escape my lips.
“I’ve been bit Ari, just fucking go! For once, just listen to me and don’t be such a stubborn bitch!” Alistair shouted. He was still shooting, so was I, but with a much smaller gun.
A few tears fell down my cheeks, and I kissed him quickly, one last time. “I… I love you Alistair… I love you so much…” I whispered.
“I love you too Ariella…” He whispered. Touching my cheek. “Now fucking go! Take this and go!” He handed me his weapon and took off running down an alley, making as much noise as he could to draw them away from me. It took that chance to make my break for the car, shooting a few more zombies on the way. I sped off as soon as I got the door close, not wanting to see what was about to happen.
That day, I lost the love of my life. He sacrificed himself so we could make it out of the city, and get to my family. It would’ve never happened if I hadn’t been so damn stubborn, insisting we go through the city. I regret that decision more than any other I ever made. Soon after leaving the city, I found a refugee camp, other survivors who had run from Tampa to get away.
I stayed there for the night, recovering from what happened. I spoke only enough to tell them that I wouldn’t be staying long. I left at first light the next morning, and finished the drive to my home town. It wasn’t overrun, not like the city, but there were dead zombies littering the street. I should’ve known that they wouldn’t take this lying down.
I made my way to the old fishing lodge, where I figured they’d all go. It made the most sense after all, the zombies couldn’t get them from the water, so they only had to defend three sides. The lake itself, a constant stock of fish, so food wasn’t an issue. I turned into the parking lot, and two men came out, guns raised.
“I’m just looking for my family… “I said softly. Raising my hands up in defense, no weapon in hand. “See, no weapon drawn, you can check, I’m not bit…”
I guess they recognized, because their weapons lowered and they took me inside. I found my family quickly, my mom, my dad, my aunt, my cousins. I figured a few of them had been turned, I understood that much. I was just glad to see that most of them were ok.
“Tampa is overrun… I barely made it out. If Alistair hadn’t sacrificed himself I wouldn’t have… There’s got to be somewhere that isn’t completely overrun…” I explained calmly.
My mom hugged me when she heard me say that Alistair was done. She knew how much I loved him. No matter how much we had fought and bickered. We were still crazy in love with another. We had been for a long time, since high school. I looked around at my family.
“We can’t stay here, we’re too close to the city… We need to find somewhere that we can stay that has plenty of supplies… Somewhere away from all this…” I said.
“What about the Mason’s farm, on the island out in the lake? We have the boats we need, and we can come back into town for supply runs if we need more…” Piped up a voice from the back.
“Donald, I could kiss you right now,” I said. “You are a genius… Everyone grab your supplies, get anything from the lodge that we might need. I have weapons and ammunition in the car. I picked them up in Tampa. We’ll use it when we come back on supply runs…”
I glanced out the window, making sure it was still clear. Once everyone had the supplies they needed I checked one more time, and opened the door, waving everyone out. I went right for the car, grabbing the weapons and pulling one of the guys from the town over to grab the ammunition. Handing off a few guns, I grabbed Alistair and I’s supplies. Then, beaded for the boats. We stayed together. Driving the boats far enough to not bother the other boats, but close enough to stay within sight.
After ten minutes, the island came into view. The Mason’s had moved out when the outbreak hit, leaving the far. It was the only thing on the island, so it made it easy to create a perimeter. As I looked back to the town, I could tell something was off. There was smoke rising from the center of town. Something had happened. We pulled the boats into the docks, unloading supplies.

It’s been about six months since then, and we’ve been on the island this whole time. Except for the occasional run back to get supplies. The smoke had been a small invasion by zombies. They’d gotten a few people, but the town wasn’t overrun. I let out a sigh as I look out at the water. There are about twenty five of us, all together, including myself. Twenty six really… I shook my head, and headed back to the house. It was big, bit it was just barely big enough to fit all of us.
I went up to the room my parents and I were staying in. Opening up my suitcase, which I’d been living out of. I saw the picture of Alistair and I. We were both happy, smiling. He was standing behind me, with his arms around my waist, kissing my cheek.
I brushed a tear from my cheek, opening Alistair’s suitcase. I looked down, grabbing the electric razor. I pushed myself up off the floor of the bedroom, and walked into the bathroom. Looking into the mirror, my hair falling in curls around my shoulders. The same light auburn color it had always been. My green eyes brimming with tears, and red. I wiped the tears away again, and turned the razor on.
When I looked back up into the mirror, that long hair was gone. All that remained was a thin layer of hair. I wiped away more tears. Picking up the hair from the sink, and the floor, tossing it in the small trash can next to the toilet. I turned away and opened the door, yelping in surprise when I saw someone standing there.
My hand over my chest gently, I shook my head. “Jesus Gunnar, you scared the shit outta me...” I said. Laughing a little. Trying to ease the tension.
“Wow… Arielle, you um… You shaved your head…” Gunnar said.
“Yeah, I did, you got a problem with it?” I asked. Getting almost defensive in my tone of voice.
“No, not at all. It looks good. I just, I wasn’t expecting it is all…” Gunnar stammered. Looking me over one more time. His eyes somewhat shocked.
I pushed past him, but he grabbed my hand. “I’m sorry about what happened to Alistair… I know how much you loved him… I lost Katherine not long ago… If you need someone to talk to…” Gunnar said softly. He was looking at me with concern evident in his eyes.
I quickly yanked my arm back. “I’m just fine! I don’t need your sympathy!” I said. I moved back to the bed room and sat down on the bed on the floor, made of blankets and pillows. I sighed, and let my head drop into my hands before beginning to sob.
These people, they were looking to me for answers. I don’t know why. I didn’t want this role as a leader. I hadn’t even had time to grieve over my own husband’s death. For them though, I had to stay strong. It was time for me to break down though, no one was looking. I don’t know how long I sat there, just sobbing into my hands. It must’ve been a while, because the next thing I knew my mom was knocking on the door, telling me that diner was ready.

I told her I’d be down in a bit. I had to have time to pull myself together. I may have been seven months pregnant, but I was still a leader in their eyes. I had to be strong. If for no one else’s sake, for my little one’s.

Back
Top Bottom