Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Knight Shame: Yellow eyes and Ten Rings (Absinth/Lagertha)

Absinthresher

Banned
Banished
Red. Everywhere red.

That’s all Daniel could remember of the night he was found.

For months after the Monastery had taken him in, he refused to speak. He seemed diligent in his studies, but almost seemed like a puppet. He hadn’t screamed in pain when his powers were stripped from him. Not a word of complaint as he was subjected to training that made most of the weaker children cry and beg for it to stop. Most of the students seemed to think that the Monastery had made him into some kind of ghoul, a mindless puppet without a soul or a will of it’s own.

That was the rumor until they began the combat trials, pitting each student against the other. Daniel’s first opponent had gone in expecting a completely passive mannequin of a person, and had been laid out within seconds of starting. Daniel hadn’t even used the training sword they had been issued, throwing it aside and punching his opponent square in the face hard enough to send him to the ground.

His only statement was something along the lines of “You need to spend more time being raised by wolves, kid” before he left the room.

Afterwards he became well known for following the rules to the letter, bending them just far enough that he wasn’t breaking them himself. His studies went well, and over the course of the next 3 years, he was at the top of his class and fairly well distinguished in his own right. It seemed that, not only was he following his father’s footsteps, but he was following them in his own way. He was less prone to brash actions, less prone to talking back, and certainly less unorthodox in his methodology.

-----------------------------------------

“A girl? Really? That’s… huh. That is fairly interesting” Daniel stated. He and a fellow knight in training, a young man by the name of Mason Eugene Seymour, were settled outside in the early morning. Daniel was lazing back against a tree while Mason was picking apples from the highest branches of it.

“I hear she’s like you. Has so many powers that they had to make more than five rings” Mason stated
“Right, but I only got five of mine back, not that I’ll ever see the other ones” He responded
“What about the uh… y’know?”
“I still have my father’s rings, yes” He stated, sighing heavily as he tipped his head back against the tree “Not that I have used them, or that I think I can. I kinda assume that they’ll reject me”

Mason dropped down from the tree, landing in a crouch as he tossed an apple at Daniel, stating “I’m sure it’ll be fine, but you know their rules. Besides, I heard that the powers in these things were linked to the person who owned them, and that they die when their owner dies”
“Sure, but how much can we trust these people?”

---------------------------------------------

Their first class of the day was held in the sparring rooms. It was a large stone box with eastern finery adorning the walls. Silk drapes, silk cords strewn around them to pull the cloth away from the boards to reveal all sorts of weaponry held on ornate hooks. The weapons were fastened, so new students couldn’t take them down and harm themselves.

All of the male students wore more or less the same thing, with variations of color depending on preference. White, black, or grey robes over basic cotton shirts and pants of varying colors. No shoes, no gloves, no guards. Most of the students in the class had been forbidden from using guards for quite some time. If they could not fight in such a way to avoid grievous injury, then they simply needed to train more.

Daniel was leant against a wall, arms crossed over his muscular chest. Out of all of the students, he was probably the most scarred, the marks reaching from his wrists all the way to his back, chest, stomach, pelvis, thighs and legs. Every student in the class had seen them, and knew that someone had done these things to him when he was very young, shortly before joining the monastery. Who, or what, had done these things, he refused to comment. Overall, he was the tallest in class at 6’4, and probably the biggest overall it seemed being fairly muscular. He allowed his hair to grow out around his shoulders in a more or less cascade of black hair, and his eyes were an unusual shade of yellow that had really only ever been observed in the Carver family.

“Sometime today would be nice. Some of us are actually trying to do well here” someone among the crowd grumbled, earning a few laughs here and there within the room. Mason stood silently by Daniel’s side, almost as tall as him with brown hair and maroon colored eyes.

Soon enough, their instructor entered and introduced their newest classmate….

Ren's Rings: 1# ??? 2# ??? 3# ??? 4# ??? 5# ??? 6# ??? 7# ??? 8# ??? 9# ??? 10# ???

The day was still hot in her head about a time where she lived further down south by the Great Seas of Vilatho, where sea people were said to live and take their victims of broken ships. Ren had only grown up in a small town, much of which had never liked the idea of the Monastery over their head, and many of them had hide in their houses whenever the Templars had walked through or ridden through by horse. She only remembered the healers, the ones that used to stop by the village and heal the sick and malnourished, they had been so kind and caring to everyone there that Ren had gotten used to the idea someone in her family might become one. As many girls her age had, as many boys her age had looked forward to becoming a Templar.

Ren had only been about seven when she had been playing with her friend of eight Terra climbing up a tree. The two girls had been born only a few months apart, and Terra had taken a kindness to Ren that had never been seen among girls of their age all too often. Terra had been trying to climb the tree after Ren, who had climbed all the way to the top, standing on both her small feet as she looked over the valley. She had been able to see the lands for miles and miles with no end, only trees and greenery everywhere she looked. The girl barely remembered her mother coming out to yell her to come down.

Ren only remembered being caught off guard, but Terra had told her the story over and over again. Ren had looked down, she said, looked at her mother and jumped with surprise. Her hands had raised, Terra had said, and fire had burst from them casting to the wind, gripping the tree and the top of homes and..everything had burned, people inside houses, and miles of trees.​

~*~ ~*~ ~*~​

Ren had grown up in the monastery after that, she only remembered the box they had kept her in, and Terra being pushed into the cart behind her. Ren had been happy though, that Terra had displayed signs of magic as well, that she wouldn't be alone in this cold forsaken place, and the two girls had remained inseparable. Even when there powers were stripped, even when classes began, but something had been odd the older they got, the more advanced the classes became.

"You are suppose to be able to heal his wounds already Rentia!" Terra would explain, having pointed to a boy that the monks had scuffed up to see how well the girls healing abilities were developing. All the other girls had been the same age as Ren, ten or eleven, but all of them had been able to heal the boys as the monk had seen fit, everyone but Ren herself.

"I can't do it." Ren had admitted, but Terra had pushed her, prodded her and pleaded for Ren to try, so the girl of a year younger had tried. Things had only gotten worse when Ren had wrapped her hands around the boys arm, concentrating to try to heal him. "Please heal.." But the boy had screamed and shrieked kicking Ren until she let go. That was when she had seen it, the scratches that had been there on his arm from the monks, the band of red blistering skin from where she had touched as though he had been burnt by fire, and all madness had broken loose after.

"I thought you had stripped her powers." Ren vaguely remembered the monks talking above her, after having shoved her down into a pit and pushed the metal bars above her so she couldn't leave. She had looked up many times in the cramped hole, pulling her legs to her chest, as she watched the clothing of their drapery dance in the wind above her cell. "I did." Another one had said, after having stripped her powers for the second time. "She doesn't feel right." The monk had commented, looking down at her in her cell. "Teach her better."

Ren's torment had started at the age of ten, being stuck in that cell, barely eating more than a few pieces of bread a day, barely having water. A year had passed, with Ren in the cell, being taken out after a while to see if she could heal, but she only continued any flesh she came in contact with, and they would strip her powers over again, stuffing her back in the dark small hole.

By the time Ren had turned twelve, Terra had come to visit her, a girl she had been close to her entire life. Ren had been happy, the monks had wanted to break her into a healing servant, but her happiness ha faded over seconds. Terra was no longer the Terra Ren had known growing up, and the girl had joined in Ren's own torment, trying to brain wash her into their own creation. Control. The monks wanted control over Ren, of which the girl refused to give.​

~*~ ~*~ ~*~​

"Rentia Stormbin! Are you alright my dear?" The voice had called behind her, knocking Ren out of the daze she had been remembering a long time ago. Though it had not been too awfully Ren was fifteen now, her torment had ended before she had turned thirteen, when a eunuch had come and pushed the monks away, pulling Ren out of the hole that had been her home for three years.

"I'm fine Kaêss." Ren's voice was hollow, she was looking down below from the window of a walk way. The yard was vast below them, and the girls had gathered outside, different garments fluttered around them depicting which was better of their class or not, but there was one Ren could always tell from the others. A girl that stood about a foot or so above the others in her class, dressed in her long sky blue gown with her back to Ren from above as they recited a message from the scripts. Terra.

"I see." Kaêss was by her side now, a tall porky man of thirty eight, but Ren had known him before he had become what he was to the monastery, a eunuch. He had been the one to save her from her torment, to talk to monks into giving her over to his care, to see if there might be a better use for her. So Kaêss had found people to train with her, like a proper knight, like a boy. At first it had been an experiment of his own, but when Ren started to beat all her opponents, when more rings gravitated towards her then had ever been allowed before, ten in all, one for each finger, he had known then his experiments would only take her so far. "Every day you look out this window. Every day you look at the back of a girl you once grew up, a girl you once loved, who once loved you. Every day that girl must repent for her sins for loving another girl she grew up. Every day you know that is not the girl you once loved. Yet..you come back the next day expecting her to look back." Ren's green eyes dropped to her hands on sill of the large stone window, though there was no glass there, just an empty space. Tears had collected in her eyes and Kaêss had watched, hands together and masked by the long sleeves of his robe. "Rentia Stormbin. Terra tortured you. Not the Terra you know, no that girl died long ago once she realized what she would become, but it doesn't change the way she tortured you for years before I came to save you. So please." He stepped forward, further into Ren's view. "Stop allowing her to torture you more. That girl is not the girl you once knew and you...you are so much more than she will ever be."

Ren had been as ready as she ever would be today. Though Kaêss had decided it best for them to wait a while as Ren dried her tears, telling her there was no point in crying anymore, for people were mean to the girl, and the boys would be much worse. Kaêss himself knew all too well how boys could be, after all it had been the Templars that had found it best he no longer have a cock and Ren had been reluctant to sit and listen to the story as they walked closer to the training room. "I only tell you because we are the same more or less. We are both freaks to the entirety of this world and freaks like us need other freaks to remain whole. As long as you have my back Rentia, I will have yours." They had stood outside the large black double doors, knights had been sculpted into the wood, Templars from the start of time. Ren was unsure if she wanted to enter yet, and Kaêss gave her pause. No rings lined Ren's hand, the eunuch had them in his. After all, she was his responsibility for now, so he was wise to keep them near him and out of reach from others.

"This is her then?" Ren's face had turned to see three Knights walking up, though no guards were on them and they wore long black tunics with black pants, rope around their waist, and rings lined their right hands. They all looked old in different age, but Ren knew these were some of the instructors she would be learning from. "When I heard the first girl ever would be joining us, I expected her to be much taller than this." The man pushed his hand forward, hovering it above Ren's head. His hand cast a shadow on the stone wall, marking just how tall Ren was. She was only a good five feet, maybe an inch or two shorter, maybe a bit taller, but compared to the knights in front of her she would be chicken shit by the end of the day. "There is a tall girl in the healers class. I heard the two of you came from the same village the same day. Was expecting you to be just as tall. Sad shit of a sight to see you below my knee."

"What did ya call me!" Ren was agitated, angry. She had been picked on, pushed around, mocked everywhere she went, and she had refused to back down. "Just because I'm short doesn't mean I can't kick ya ass like I'm suppose to!" Ren huffed, and the knight grinned patting her on her head this only annoyed Ren further. Her hair was a blond color, a bit of white and red streaking through it naturally so from a distance it looked more red than it actually was, but it was a common trait in her pale skinned family.

"Stormbin family then? I've only seen that hair coloring from them." The knight commented, but he looked at Kaêss who was staring at Ren bewildered. It still amazed the eunuch to this days of Ren's furious rage though in a way he could understand. "She'll probably nip my ankles and I'll punch her out if she does." The knight grinned grasping the eunuch's attention.

"I think it unwise Sir. Rentia is not like the boys in there. What she lacks in height she makes up for in skill." Kaêss was confident in that, but Ren wavered at the thought. She felt sick, she was unsure if she could do this and she wondered how poorly her new classmates might treat her. "Yes Sir. She is a Stormbin indeed. That was how they became famous long ago, before the darkness overwhelmed them and took their lands, cattle, and family away from them." Ren's eyes dropped, her hair was long and pulled into a ponytail on top of her head, but the tail dropped below her ass. Kaêss had refused to let the girl cut it, it was not like many Stormbin had that weird hair coloring anymore. Most of their hair coloring had been diluted over the years.

"Are you ready girl?" The knight finally commented, happy with the displeased look Ren had given when her family had been brought up. It was true they had once been wealthy many centuries ago, but that had been long ago, and Ren had only been born fifteen years prior so she knew little of the shame. Only that now her family was peasants in anyone's eyes and they had been great long ago.

"I am." Ren exclaimed, though her face was sad as the knights moved passed her. The two that were behind the instructor moved and pushed open the door for him, and the scene hit Ren as the instructor moved inside. Kaêss was next, though he paused looking back at the girl who stood unmoving.

"It's wise you come inside now girl." the instructor called as Kaêss looked at her and Ren gulped. She wore a similar attire to what the boys wore, though they had decided to give her a brown color just to further make her stand out. Ren wasn't sure what the color meant, but looking around she could tell she was the only one wearing the muddy color. She had no shoes, no guards and Ren walked in silently with her head down as she had been taught after years of abuse. Her pale milkly feet touched the ground, her hands exposed as well as her round face as her and Kaêss stood in the middle of the room with the instructor in front of them. "This is your new classmate. Rentia Stormbin. This is now her classroom as it is yours. Do not go easy on her, we are not to give the girl hand outs!" The instructor snarled looking at her as he pointed to Kaêss. "This man is in charge of the girl. I suppose if one of my boy's breaks her hands she'll go crying to you. Won't you girl?" Ren looked up at the instructor, but Kaêss nudged her to remain quiet, so she did. "At least she knows some manners. I am your instructor now Rentia Stormbin, Tulik. Remember my name, because I'll only say it once!" Ren gulped before nodding. "Go sit over there." Tulik pointed to a corner where the bench was empty, and Kaêss began to walk, Ren behind him as she tried not to look at the boys in her class. Though she realized, they were all much older than she was.​

All eyes were on Rentia as she entered the room, more than a few of them filled with a more lustful look than anything. Daniel was appraising her with a sight not like others. He could see there was something odd about her.

"With all due respect sir, which apparently is not a whole lot, if we are to go by this charade, should she not be in a class with people closer to her own age?" Mason piped up, earning a snicker from Daniel "Not only is she a scrawny little thing but she cannot be older than fifteen, and she does not have either ring on her hand. Are you TRYING to get her killed or something? I mean, come on, we know you hate women but this is just stupid"

"Seymour, how about you shut your face and actually learn something for once instead of mouthing off like you want to lose all your teeth?" Tulik snapped at him, then gestured at Daniel, waving him forward "How about we have our resident prodigy go ahead and teach our newest recruit a thing or two?"
"With all due respect, and like Mason said that isn't a whole lot sir, I would literally break her in half" Daniel said even as he was moving forward
"Are you defying me boy?"
"Oh, no, I'm just pointing out that there is a good chance that she'll get hurt. I will do her a favor and use only one ring".

He unlooped a silver chain from around his wrist and slide four of his rings from his right hand, placing them on the chain with 11 other rings that were of varying designs. There was a rumor that Daniel Senior, the elder Carver, had eleven rings on his hands by the time he retired. Five of his own, and six he had obtained from his former Knight in Arms, all of which died at the hands of a monstrous creature. It was said that he had only ever been able to use the other six exactly once in a burst of rage that had almost killed him.

Looping the chain back around his right wrist, he took his spot on one of the small sparring pads, rolling his head to crack his neck as he loosened up the muscles in his arms. He unlooped the cord around his waist, then tugged off the robes and his shirt, revealing that he was just as well built as he seemed, and that his body was lined with a canopy of scars that dotted his body. "I'll let you take the first shot" He old her as he fell into his fighting stance, legs apart, his arms brought up as his hands clenched into fists.

Ren's Rings: 1# ??? 2# ??? 3# ??? 4# ??? 5# ??? 6# ??? 7# ??? 8# ??? 9# ??? 10# ???

'Rentia...what have you done?' Ren could still hear the voice in her head, mocking her, tormenting her as she sat there, the instructor sneering evilly at her. She could see the way Tulik looked at her, hateful, the same face Terra had given her when she had burnt the boy's arm instead of healing it. The same look the Monks and High Healers had given her when they realized she had no healing abilities no matter how hard she had tried, and she had tried many times. The other looks didn't shock Ren either. She had grown used to that look recently, men eyeing her down as she fought with her, and Ren had heard many distasteful things when she had been really learning to fight.

Kaêss gripped Ren's arm, forcing her to look at him and she did. His head was bold, riddled with tattoos, and she knew most of his body had been riddled with them too. Ren had asked what they had meant, and she knew the answer all too well. 'The sins of man.' Kaêss had told her the day he had taken her from the pit. His grey eyes lingered on her, a softness. Ren knew his secretes, everything he had been through, and he knew hers, it was why he had told her he had her back. 'Freaks can live only so long alone. Let's fight this world together.' There were many things Ren remembered, many voices that tormented her at night, and many things she wished she could change. This moment might have been one of them. Listening to the boy Seymour? say things lie she was too young for the class.

Ren was all but insulted when the boy stepped forward, though she heard this boy talk now knowing the first boy's first name; Mason. She could hear the whispers as well, as Daniel proclaimed he would go easy on her with one ring, but the whispers weren't of that mocking gesture. It was more about if she really could wear ten rings, if that was more than just a rumor. There once was a knight who had found himself with six rings, but his energy had been drained the more he used all six. Ren had always found it strange that Templars only had five after hearing the story and she had ten, but Kaêss had explained further. The man indeed had used six rings, but only for a year before going mad. Absolute power brought absolute corruption, but it wasn't just that, the rings began to reject it's user, and the more the man had refused to remove his six ring, the faster he had aged. Until he had ultimately turned to dust at the end of the year.

"Which rings would you like Rentia?" Ren looked at Kaêss as he spoke, shifting around the rings in his other hand, though he had carefully laid them in a pouch of which was hidden beneath his long sleeve.

"It's Ren, Kaêss." Ren glared at Kaêss she had hated being called by her full name ever since getting here, ever since she wasn't really considered a girl. Well she was, but she was suppose to be being a knight like a boy's, it was only fitting she got rid of the girly part of her name. "I don't care, give me them all if ya will." Ren looked forward at the stupid boy as he shed his shirt. He was rippled with muscle, but Ren cared not about the muscle, for what she lacked in brute strength she could make up with magic.

"He wants to go easy on you Ren. It would be most wise if you only took one as well." Ka&@34;ss began, but he was speaking softly enough that only she could really hear. Ren stood, huffing as she held out her left hand to Kaêss.

"He wants to go easy on me. Fine! His fault! I never said I would go easy on him!" Ren proclaimed, brows furrowed in annoyance as Tulik crossed his arms laughing. Kaêss sighed as he pulled out the grey pouch, the same color Ren's lip were naturally, a grey color. It was part of her family's natural coloring, though most of them no longer had that unique coloring. Her mother had been fully head haired, red lips, Ren was not that. Ren looked at Kaêss as the eunuch withheld her rings.

"One ring Ren." Kaêss finally proclaimed as he opened the pouch. "You don't have to go easy on the lad, but you should at least been on level grounds." Ren rolled her eyes, annoyed. Kaêss smiled. She had been getting more of an attitude as of late, but he knew that was mostly because she had only recently started going through puberty. Kaêss fished through the bag, and he pulled out a silver ring, twirled bands of silver, a single large cloudly stone in the center that shifted, swirling like clouds. Kaêss examined the ring before he handed it to Ren. "This one." He exclaimed and Ren grabbed it putting it on her right index finger, the ring tanking up two digits of the finger. Ren smiled, happy with the ring he had chosen as she stepped forward cracking her neck.

"Perfect choice." Ren grinned. Ren cracked her neck smiling up at the monster of a boy that was a few years older than her. "Your lose." Ren's smile faded when the boy commented about her taking the first move. Ren twisted, she was far away from the boy, and she began to dash forward at a full pace, as fast as she could, straight for him. It looked like she was just going to allow herself to collide with him, but she dodge to the left when she got close to him, her feet gliding as though she was on skates, or on ice, as she lifted slightly off the ground, grey and white clouds skipping off her feet as she lifted into the air far enough and with enough force that she grabbed his neck, wrapping her arms around him to choke him.

"Air gliding." Tulik commented, surprised by the choice, by the element that she had connected with. "Interesting."​

Ren's Rings: 1# Air, Gliding 2# ??? 3# ??? 4# ??? 5# ??? 6# ??? 7# ??? 8# ??? 9# ??? 10# ???

Daniel's Rings: #1:??? #2:??? 3#: ??? 4#: ??? 5#: ???
Father's Rings: 1#:??? 2#:??? 3#:??? 4#:??? 5#:??? 6#:??? 7#:??? 8#:??? 9#:??? 10#:??? 11#:???

The ring that Daniel kept around his index finger was a simple, black-silver band with an inlaid yellow stone much like one of the ones his father had. It was fairly simplistic, yet the ability, and the ring itself, seemed unique to the Carver clan somehow.

"Ahahe... good choice" Daniel choked as she wrapped her arms around his neck. His hands gripped her arms and he threw her over, pulling his head out from her arms and slamming her onto the ground, not that he expected her to stay that way for long. Instead of just standing there, he moved, leaping backwards to put some distance to them, but that's not what everyone else had seen.

Instead, what they saw was him being in one spot, and then suddenly being in another. From the confused look on Kaess face at this, Tulik explained "He, and his father before, called that Greystep. It amplifies the speed of any movement, but only in short bursts of a set distance. I knew his father, and I've seen what that bastard could do with them. Break bones, smash stone, cut things so fast they didn't even realize the limb was gone until they looked"

"How about you quit chattering and focus on the match?" Daniel shot at him as he brought his arms up defensively, grinning at Rentia through the gap between them. She was strong for her size, he'd have to give her that, and not many had the concentration to Air Glide like that, at least not as smoothly as she did at the age that she was. Daniel's eyes seemed to be glowing in the low light as he waited for her next strike to come. The shadows played across his face, and for a moment, all she could see was golden yellow eyes surrounded by shadow before the darkness passed and he was still grinning at her.

Ren's Rings: 1# Air, Gliding 2# ??? 3# ??? 4# ??? 5# ??? 6# ??? 7# ??? 8# ??? 9# ??? 10# ???

Ren was caught off guard, that the boy could speak as she choked him, and that he grabbed her arms so effortlessly. "Wha-" Ren found herself slipping, concentration broken enough that the clouds dissipated at her feet and the room span, until her back smashed into the ground. Ren's mouth parted in a surprised yelp, her bones rattling from the blow. She breathed, angry he had stopped her, and planted her hands firmly on the ground above herself head before shoving herself off the ground and landing on her feet. Though the surprised look she got from Kaêss made Ren uneasy, was he giving her that look because the boy had bested her?

When Tulik began to explain the boy's ring, Ren had turned to look at him uneasy. Though it seemed the other boys in the room were just as interested, as if they were unsure if she could actually continue to keep up with him. She was only fifteen, and she was much smaller than the young man in front of her. "Greystep?" Ren snapped her neck, annoyed. "Shadow element." Ren finally commented, that much she knew. It was similar to a Shadow step, but Greystep only enhanced his dodge movement, shadowstep allowed the user to actually dodge with weaving in and out of shadows.

The way his yellow eyes looked at her, mocking her in a sense, didn't seem to phase the girl as she spat on the ground, hitting a boy's bare foot. It was true the ability Ren had shown was hard to concentrate on, though when mastered if was differently a good asset to any fight. "Ew! She spat on me!" The boy called, agitated.

"Shad up!" Ren was annoyed, causing her accent to come out more, more or less she normally hide it as best she could, but all her concentration was broken from keeping that ruse, she wanted to win this match. Her brows were twitching as she parted her legs, spreading them apart as she leaned forward, right hand's fingers touching purpose on the ground, and her other arm was tucked behind her back as her long pony tail came forward to the left side of her face and pooled on the ground below her. Ren was pissed.

She stood on her tip toes, watching him closely as she stayed in this position unmoving and calculating, though it was true in real battle she might not have much time to calculate her next move, but the boy was insisting she go again, as though they were taking turns on a game. Clouds, deep and dark formed under her feet, though this time it changed, turning similar to a color of ice, as she pushed off the ground, darting forward again. This time, she looked like she was darting forward on ice, and Ren kept her head bent forward, arms behind her back as she dashed forward, but she moved. It was like Ren was in an invisible tunnel as she started to dart off the ground, circling up and down, touching the ground and ceiling as she went, faster and faster, and this gave her the opportunity to swirl upwards again, behind him, but when she came down on his right side, she bent her knees, and shoved her feet into the back of his knees. One to catch him off guard, another reason was because it was a vulnerable spot, and she shoved with all her might until he fell forward. Ren smiled, flipping and stopping on the ground a few feet away from him as she stood up. "Your turn." She grinned, amused.​

Daniel's Rings: #1: Elementless, Grey Step#2:??? 3#: ??? 4#: ??? 5#: ???
Father's Rings: 1#:??? 2#:??? 3#:??? 4#:??? 5#:??? 6#:??? 7#:??? 8#:??? 9#:??? 10#:??? 11#:???

"Lacking an element, actually. I like to call it Shadowstep with some actual damage potential to it" He grinned satisfactorily at her sudden unease and annoyance. Most people often mistook it for Shadowstep at first, until they realized that he was increasing his speed in short bursts, rather than simply stepping into the realm of the shadows to dodge and evade. Like he said, it was basically Shadowsteps more destructive cousin.

"Oh suck it up you milksop. If you are worried about a bit of saliva, then you had best go and apply to be a healer" Daniel snapped at him irritably, rolling his eyes at his considerably less than manly reaction to getting a bit of spittle on his foot. Not like it was all that much different from when they had to walk barefoot in the fields, honestly "Hey, maybe you can be the first male healer in centuries, make your genitals match your mindset". That, more than anything, was as deep an insult as he could throw at any of the other boys. Suggesting they didn't have the balls to become a Templar was about on par with suggesting they had a small cock, or literally had no balls.

Daniel was more interested in watching her feet as she darted forward, raising an eyebrow.Was she freezing the humidity in the air as she ran to give it that effect? That she could do that with air was fairly interesting, and potentially very powerful. All sorts of questions popped into his head, which he was storing for later when she came for him, watching her with interest until she disappeared around his back, too fast for him to follow.

He felt his legs give out and then she was shoving him forward. His hands came out, rolling forwards until he was turning the movement into a handspring which he launched himself across the room with using his greystep, sliding across the ground as he righted himself and started moving forward. Another burst of speed seemed to make him disappear as he charged forward, heading straight for her. About halfway to her he started darting from side to side, mistepping right as he went to charge into her here he very suddenly collided with her and took them both to the ground with a surprised call.

By the time he could figure out what was going on, he found himself nestled between her legs, his pelvis pressed tightly against hers with his upper body pushed half off the ground. He was looking down at her, blinking slowly as he stared at her face. He had to admit, she was gorgeous, and found himself just staring at her. It took him a moment to realize he could feel himself growing stiff against her, and quickly moved away to try to keep from getting any harder, even as Tulik was calling "Alright you two lovebirds, I think that's enough grandstanding for today. You'll get another shot at her another time".

From what Rentia could feel while he was pressed against her, he was VERY well endowed, almost monstrously so. It seemed like his endowment matched his muscular body, and was about twice as thick as most sword hilts were.

"Very nice, very graceful" Mason teased him as his companion approached him, earning an angry glare, which only made his grin even brighter.
"Yeah yeah, enjoy that while you can" Daniel rolled his eyes as he went back to his spot leaning against the wall, waiting for Tulik to holler at the lot.

Ren was surprised, was as she watched him, tensing herself as he began to dart forward. She spread her legs, one behind her, one bent to the side, left forearm rose, right arm hovering above her hip. Ren herself was bewildered by how he moved, dashing this way and that, he even managed to break her focus on her defense, and before she knew it he was colliding with her.

"Ahhhh!" Ren was surprised, air knocked out of her as his arms caught with her stomach forcing her off the ground. However it was how her back collided with the ground, forcing more air out of her lungs, shaking and rattling her bones so her body went limp and fell into position; legs spread, hands up by her face, head looking up at him confused. Ren felt him though, as he propped himself off the ground, his pelvis pressed powerfully against her own holding her down in place, and the weird way he was looking at her as she panted for air. He was good looking, besides the scars that riddled his ripped muscular body, he was defiantly good looking, one Ren might have fancied had she been a proper lady. Those weird yellow eyes were something else, just like her lip and hair coloring but her face turned red when she felt him hardening between her legs. "Ah! Get off of me!" Ren proclaimed, scooting away from him.

Ren was on her feet, adjusting her clothing as she best she could, though a part of her right hip had been exposed from the blow and her hair wasn't as neat on her head, as well as sweat was rolling down the corner of her face. She was too ashamed to look at him as she went back over to Kaêss who extended his hand for the ring she pulled off. He placed it back in the pouch, tying the pouch as she sat down, pulling her hair down to put it back up. "You did well. Evenly matched it looks like." Kaêss smiled at her, pleased she was in the right group. "Your face is red Rentia."

"It's Ren!" She sneered at Kaêss pulling her hair back into a pony tail on top of her head. She looked at Daniel though looked away from him embarrassed before looking at Tulik as he rubbed his chin.

"Of course, Ren. I forget sometimes." Kaêss commented as he looked at Tulik. "Well? Does she stay? Shall I take her elsewhere to train?"

"She stays." Tulik nodded grunting, though he didn't look too pleased with the idea. "Alright boys, let's give these two a break. Show me what you got!" Tulik sat up, moving to the middle of the room and knocking his arms together. "Who wants to try me first?"​

"You still have not got that move down pat, huh?" Mason asked him, chuckling as he leaned back against the wall beside his comrade "I suppose it could not be worse than when you used it against that Klein kid. THat is to say, this time you did not get run through by a sword"
"You aren't gonna shut up about this, are you?" Daniel asked him, raising an eyebrow before he grabbed Mason's arm and shoved him forwards, calling "Hey, Mason here thinks he can take you in a fight".

The maroon eyed male shot Daniel a dirty look before he grumbled and started towards Tulik, knowing full well that he couldn't back down now. Daniel had basically put this up as a challenge, and to back down would mean that he was weaker.

And while Mason was off to spare with Tulik, Daniel was warily watching Rentia. She was powerful, he had to admit. Even with one ring she had matched him pretty evenly, and his own ring had been known to be one of the most potent, at least in his hands. There were plenty of abilities that allowed dodging and quick movement, but few could reach the destructive potential of the Greystep, especially combined with his bulk and his fighting style, which consisted of using his joints more than his fists or feet. An elbow or a knee to a face at high speed did painful damage. On that hand, he hadn't really been trying to harm Rentia, as he held back quite a bit when fighting his fellow Templar's in training. It didn't do anyone much good for him to break bones and faces during a simple training excersize. Even still, that Rentia had matched him was impressive, and her control of the Air Glide was just as impressive. He'd definitely have to talk to her about it.

Actually... He pushed off from the wall, moving past people as they paired up to train, making his wave over to Kaess and Ren. He gave a short bow to Kaess, who wasn't necessarily supposed to be recognized as his superior due to what he was, but Daniel did bow anyways.

"Good morning, Kaess" He said, grinning cheerfully as he greeted him, then turned to Ren "I don't think I introduced myself to either of you. I am Daniel Carver the Eighth. I actually wanted to speak to Rentia, if you don't mind. Although, I heard you knew my father".

Rumor had it that Kaess had actually found the elder Daniel shortly after his bout with the creature that had killed his friends, and that it was Kaess who managed to get him to civilization before whatever madness had overtaken him could do so a second time. Oddly, more rumors abounded that not only had the elder Carver survived having 11 rings on his fingers, but showed no adverse effects past the madness which had gripped him, and even that wasn't necessarily a byproduct of the rings, perhaps more of a bypoduct of the grief that had seized him at the peril that had befallen his comrades.

"At any rate, would you mind taking a walk with me Rentia?" He asked her, motioning to Tulik who was now sparring with Mason "I'm sure he wouldn't mind if we went for a walk after that display you put on"

Ren was pleased all eyes were off her, at least for a moment. It was awkward with all these boys looking at her, in more pleasing ways then wanting to take her down as an opponent, though some of them looked like they weren't interested anymore after fighting that boy with the yellow eyes. She was busy fixing her hair so that it was out of the way, as Kaêss leaned closer to her, hands hidden below the long sleeves of his robe.

"That boy is coming over." Kaêss explained. Ren had only looked when someone had been vulenteered to fight Tulik, though she looked uninterested when the rest of the boys paired off, at least Ren could relax for a while. Though Ren's attention had turned to Kaêss as he spoke, before straightening himself up as he looked forward. Ren's eyes followed, seeing the boy stand in front of them in the midst of chaos behind him. Ren looked away pulling her feet up on the bench to dust off the remainder of ice on there, her feet had turned slightly blue by the effects as the boy introduced himself to the two of them. "I see." Kaêss began smiling softly. "I meet many crazed men in my travels but your father was something else. Mad over the years from the things he had seen that could not be unseen. As most men do." Still Kaêss looked at Ren who looked up, angry face.

"It's Ren!" She proclaimed agitated everyone called her by her full first name. Though she seemed surprised about that Kaêss knew the boy's family. Ren had heard many stories since Kaêss had taken responsibility for her, many she knew tid bits about, but some were news to her ear. "Wha do ya want?" Ren huffed holding her right foot in her left hand, warming it as best she could. Though not being able to wield any magic without a ring meant she could only hope her body heat from her hand would warm up her cold foot.

"Be nice Ren, we've talked about this." Kaêss seemed to see this behavior a lot lately, especially since puberty had hit and the girl had been forced to hide her growing body as best she could by tying it down. Though Ren looked up at him wiping her right forearm against her forehead to swipe away the sweat as Daniel spoke about going on a walk with her to talk. "Here." Ren looked at eunuch, as she rubbed her foot, he put the pouch down the belt, jiggling the rings around, before he shoved his hands further up his sleeve, and pulled back removing some extra orange cloth that he presented to Ren. Ren grabbed the fabric, she knew what to do and wrapped around her feet to try to warm them. Air gliding, when mastered was deadly, but it could be just as deadly to a person's feet, and their toes if done for too long without good shoes to break the impact of the ability. Ren placed her feet down on the ground, the feeling wasn't something she wasn't used to, this did feel better than walking over glass. "I suppose you know how this works then Daniel. If you harm her in anyway, I'll know, and I won't be as kind as your instructors might be." Kaêss gave him a stern look as Ren watched the eunuch shaking her head. "Have a good walk now."

"Where do you want to walk?" Ren seemed to grasp that her talking composure had faltered when fighting, and she focused on keeping her accent down as she shifted her weight on her legs. Ren was embarrassed Kaêss had stuck up for her like she was a child, and in a sense she was compared to Daniel. She was however curious why he wanted to talk with her and walk with her, though she had walked to the doors of the room moving out into the hall.​

That got a surprised laugh from Daniel, who took a moment to say "You know my father's reputation, do you not? I can guarantee that none of these instructors have "Gone easy" on me. Duly noted, however. I don't plan to hurt her, and I'm sure your threat is as good as you think you're making it". He patted Kaess shoulder lightly before he motioned for Rentia to follow him, saying "We'll take a stroll through the gardens. I haven't checked up on one of my friends in a while".

Soon they were leaving the room, Daniel staying a step ahead of her, keeping silent for a few moments until they were more or less alone. After a moment he finally spoke up, saying "I haven't ever seen anyone use that ability to that skill that wasn't twice your age. I have to say that I am extremely impressed at the amount of power you seem to wield".

He glanced over his shoulder at her, offering a playful grin as he said "Hopefully we can train together again, maybe something less violent. Most of the other Apprentices don't have anything fast enough to keep up with me, so perhaps you and I could make a game out of our shared powers? A high speed game of Tag sounds quite fun, at least to me. At any rate, I guess I'm getting ahead of myself. Do you mind if I ask you what it's like to wield ten rings? I've heard stories, but I've never gotten to ask anyone. My father wouldn't tell me what happened when he had done it"

Ren had followed the boy like he had said, though she wasn't entirely sure why she was trusting him. Still she had followed him out, ignoring the bit about his instructors never going easy on him. "Garden?" Ren looked surprised he was talking about a garden, was he trying to swoon her over like other girls? No, that didn't seem right. She knew the type like he liked, and surely Ren was far from that type in general.

Ren had both arms behind her back, her left arm was bent so her hand gripped the forearm of her right arm as they walked, until finally stopping to talk. She looked out at the small courtyard to their left, it was cute but nothing Ren would find herself in. After all, she was no longer a lady, or would be treated like one from here on out, still the boy had began. Ren looked up at him, drawn back by the fact he was praising her, no one really praised Ren but Kaêss himself, the notion felt weird coming from a strangers tongue.

"Many lose toes, feet and legs I hear." Ren admitted that much, she knew the danger of any ability she wielded and that was a part of mastering it all. To learn down to get around the bad and not over do things. "You went easy on me." Ren started, agitation in her tone. "I can tell, you could have broken my ribs but you didn't." Ren looked confused when he brought up all ten of her rings, he seemed so overly excited and she wasn't sure how to react. "Normal." Ren said finally after a moment of silence as she tilted her head back to look up at him as though she were still much younger than fifteen. "Chaotic." Ren looked around, rubbing the soles of her feet against the ground with the make shift bandages to try to warm them. "I don't like wearing them all together sometimes. You can go mad listening to the elements fight among one another." Ren knew she had probably said too much, but she knew the stories of the madness that came with it. "Why are you so curious? No one ever asks me these sort of things." Ren looked up at the boy as he started in about tag, her brows furrowed. "Tag? Is that like a game you climb up trees with? I haven't been up a tree in years."​

Father's Rings: 1#:Elementless, Grey Step 2#:??? 3#:??? 4#:??? 5#:??? 6#:??? 7#:??? 8#:??? 9#:??? 10#:??? 11#:???

"A very large amount of the food we eat is grown here, but of course we have other gardens past the vegetable gardens" Daniel explained as he led the way through he halls, grinning back at her as he stated "It might surprise you but I actually like gardening. One of the Scholars and I tend to a small plot near the very back of the flower gardens that we've pretty much just taken for ourselves".

Daniel blinked a few times, surprised that she had noticed such a detail. After a moment he responded with "I did, but not for he reason you think. I always hold back, even against the boys in our class. I stop just short of actually breaking bones because it wouldn't serve our training well if I accidentally crippled someone in a way that can't be healed". That he had that much control over himself was surprising and impressive. He stopped as she tried to rub her feet against the ground and knelt before her. Two hands took one of her feet in his, kneading his fingers into the soles of her feet as he continued "I want to know because it helps me understand my father. Most people don't even try to wear extra rings, primarily because it is jus so dangerous. Whatever my father had to fight, whatever made him wear not just five, but eleven rings, must have been that dangerous that he couldn't do anything but risk it. We've all heard the stories of people going mad, suddenly aging years within days, even people just straight dropping dead after one fight".

At her question of tag, he switched to the other foot to knead his fingers into it, slowly warming up the sole as he said "It's a game wear you chase after a person and touch them, then they have to turn and chase after you. It's not necessarily as fun with only two people, but between our abilities, I think we could make an even out of it"

Ren was surprised when they walked past the courtyard, she had seen templars bring women they were courting there for frilly conversations, for their lovers and wives, she had watched them as a healer but now she knew better. Ren had always imagined Terra and herself being like that, but Terra was no longer Terra, and Rentia was no longer Rentia. She watched the cold stone turn under her feet, the light grey color turned deeper and darker, light red stones began and she looked up, seeing the garden in the distance to the right; trees, plants, flowers, and a little patch -which looked small it may have been large- in the distance. "My mother used to say it was a woman's job to build a garden and keep it alive for her men." Ren didn't seem too enthused by that idea, but it was interesting that he had admitted her enjoyed gardening. "Why are you showing me this? You just met me." Ren was straight to the point, she felt slightly awkward at the idea. Boys didn't come up to Ren to talk, and if they did they treated her like she was below them.

"If you hold back no one ever learns their lesson. Kaêss told me that. I'm used to breaking my bones." Ren looked at him, blinking when he got on his knees in front of her, he was still much taller than her like this, but at least she could look him in the eye. "What are you doing?" Ren jumped slightly as he took one of her small feet, kneading it, though she realized he was trying to get her feet to circulate again, and she didn't resist. Ren understood now, his father must have been able to wear more then five then. "I hear voices when I wear all ten, they aren't mine but it's hard to decipher which one is my thoughts and which one is the rings..it's not only that..." Ren looked away at the garden and sighed, this was awkward having him knead her feet but he was being gentle and Ren had never felt kindness besides Kaêss. "..it's like it's someone else inside the rings and when all ten are on you can feel them, hear them, sense they are there with you. I know everyone says that the rings die with the users, but these rings..they come most alive when all ten are together, like they are remembering things they've been through and seen. Sometimes I'm not sure if I'm making it up or not..so I can see where people go crazy for having so many on for too long..I even prefer to only wear all ten rings when I have to." Ren knew all too well she wouldn't have a choice but to wear then all the time when she graduated from here and became a Templar, there was no if she did, she knew she would. "Do you know why they tell you to never put on the ring's of the dead? Why they say to break them or bury them with their bodies? Kaêss told me the story when I first got all ten rings, but he didn't look happy or surprised he looked scared." Ren allowed him to take her other foot, she didn't fight with the boy, he wasn't trying to hurt her at all. "He told me of a man that had lost all his comrades in battle, and as remembrance he took a ring from each of the five that had died, their best abilities that he knew. Instead of putting them in a pouch and carrying with him, he decided he would wear them on his hand, one on each finger, and the same finger his deceased comrades had used. He started hearing voices...but it wasn't the rings that were talking, he swear he could hear his dead comrades speaking to him, thinking as though they were him and he started seeing things. At first the man thought they were images from a past life, but he realized it was memories from one of his comrades that had died. There was other things he had seen from their lives, heard, things that drove the man mad, but the worst part was..no matter how many times the healers begged him to take off the rings he simply couldn't, and he lost himself in their rings. He stopped referring to himself as I, as me, and started to say things like we, and us, when he was only speaking." Ren looked at Daniel but her face was saddened. "I heard that man was your father. A Carver had gone mad, so mad he ran off a cliff to be with the dead." Ren wasn't sure how Daniel would react, perhaps the boy would be angered by the knowledge, perhaps he would hurt Ren, but she didn't seem scared and she didn't move from standing in front of him. "I've heard other stories, the originally Templars use to use rings from the dead, passing down the same abilities from generation to generation before they started crafting new rings for the new Templars. They are pretty much the same, voices, feeling like they are someone else, seeing things, experiencing thing, and ultimately most of them ended themselves..." Ren looked down pulling her feet away. "Thank you.." She smiled softly. "..you are only suppose to have five because the rings don't talk when you have five, but when you have more..you learn the truths of the world..and somethings you don't want to know..that's why they leave them out of books you know."

Ren felt awkward, why she blurted such things she wasn't sure why, then again the boy had seemed honest about knowing about his father, at least she had told him what she could. "There's more.." Ren said finally after he talked about tag and explained it. "..but even I don't want to talk about the consequences of wearing the rings." Ren knew all too well the way things would go or could go by wearing more than five, things most boys his age probably weren't told. They were only told the easier parts to imagine, fast aging, going mad, losing themselves in the power of the rings, but there was so much more to that. "Don't follow in your father's footsteps. Your father may have been brave, but it isn't wise to use the rings of the deceased. It's not wise to use more than five either." Ren moved slightly away from him as she smiled lightly. "Sounds interesting, but I'm not much for games. I'm hear to learn to fight, not how to win at a game."​

"It's a good test. Most of the other boys who hear this story think less of me for it, and many of the girls who I've taken here assume I am trying to court them" He explained to her absently as he focused on working his fingers, trying not to apply too much pressure to the wrong spot, otherwise he could hurt her very badly "Gardening is for women, but then again, fighting is supposed to be for men now isn't it, and it's not only men that fight" my mother used to say. Women might give life and nurture it, but so do men and they nurture it in their own ways".

He looked up at her, blinking a few times as she told the story. This was different from what he knew to be true, but it was fairly interesting to hear about it. After she told him the story, he let her step away and slowly stood.

His gaze went off towards the garden, his eyes going distant as he said "That's a half truth. My father did hear the voices of his comrades when he wore the rings, but he didn't wear them if he didn't need to. By the time I was old enough to notice, he didn't wear any of his rings on his fingers. He had all of them on this chain" his hand went to his chest, idly pressing against the cloth that covered the chain in question "There were 7 of them. My father and six others. They were... comrades. They trusted each other in a way only people you fight alongside could". He chuckled as his attention turned back to her, grinning at her as he spoke "He didn't go mad, at least, not permanently. The story he told me when I was young was that he had used them to defeat a demon, a powerful creature that seemed to have some kind of vendetta against him. My father's grief, his rage, and the rage of his deceased comrades through those rings drove him to unspeakable heights, possessing strength so brutal that the creature fell before him, at least that's what he remembered. I think, had he wore the rings all the time, he might have lost himself like that story said, but... he didn't wear them, not all the time".

"Maybe we can talk about sordid things another time" He suggested, leading the way into the gardens back where a number of colorful flowers were currently in bloom. He crouched down, touching one of the flowers softly as he said "Sometimes games can teach you things you need to know to fight properly, but I suppose I can't make you play". He stood up and turned to face her "On the subject of breaking bones, if I broke everyone I sparred against everytime I fought them, nobody would learn anything because they'd be too busy recuperating from fighting me, and it's not exactly conducive to learning if they physically can't fight"

Ren huffed about the courting part, she shook her head. "I'm not a lady, so why would I assume such a thing?" There was also another reason Ren never assumed he would try to court her, for boys never had that sort of love interest in her. It had been the whole reason Terra and her had fallen in love, because they had both found solace in the fact they weren't alone and beauty in one another. "Besides, I like women." Ren admitted, though she wasn't sure why. Perhaps he'd rethink his advances, the boy had pitched a tent for her, though Ren had tried to ignore that fact and he wasn't bringing up the subject.

Ren's face turned surprised when he spoke about his father. Of course the boy would know being it his father, but Ren had only heard stories and myths and had learned hard facts when wearing the rings. "I see. Forgive me for the insult of speaking about your father. It was bloody rude of me."

Ren followed him silently, awkwardly, she wasn't sure why the boy was talking her besides the fact he was impressed. Though Ren knew better then to tell a stranger her weaknesses. She looked at the flowers, yellows, pinks, oranges, blues, purples, greens, greys, whites, and basked in them. One time she had enjoyed the sight, but now she shifted uneasy. "I think I'll head back." Ren's jaw tensed a bit before she smiled and bowed from the waist down. Ren moved, turning to look back the way they had come to leave the garden when he spoke and she frowned. "It's better you break their bones and let them recover and learn their lesson then hold back and watch them die later for the same reasons. If I make a mistake I want my bones to be broken. Better I learn now and quickly then wait until later and fight something and die for the same stupid reason!" Ren was agitated but she huffed as she moved away from the garden out into the hall. "thanks for the walk." Ren muttered, jerking her neck of her shirt around as if it was too tight for her, and she moved making her way back to the training room.​
~*~ ~*~ ~*~​
Kaêss was waiting outside the training room for her, and watched her approach. He moved forward though paused as he looked behind her. "Where is the boy Ren? Did you leave him behind after sucking his cock?" Kaêss only teased but Ren moved up to him, and punched him in the side hard enough to break ribs. Kaêss grabbed his side stumbling back as he grunted, he bowed his head. "Forgive me my lady, I should have held my tongue."

"Can we go now Kaêss? I've had enough of these boys today." Ren pulled on her shirt, it was bothering her.

"Wouldn't it be wiser to stay and watch the lessons they give?" The Eunuch stated moving forward and Ren glared at him.

"I don't bloody care, I'm not in the mood anymore." Ren huffed though she didn't look behind her to see if Daniel had followed. "I don't feel well." Ren looked down and the eunuch nodded rubbing his sides.

"Then let us be on our way. The library awaits my lady." Ren sighed nodding to the man as she moved forward, head down. "I'll prepare your medicine as well. Perhaps today was too trying. I shall not push." Ren looked at the Eunuch who smiled and bowed. She frowned before going down the hall and leaving him behind as well as the training room, shaking hands as she moved this way and that, until she finally made way to large doors and walked inside to the library.​

Daniel didn't have much room to respond, letting her go as he tended to some of the flowers, watering them and pruning some of them before he made his way back to the class. He did watch her leave, remarking in his own head how he enjoyed watching her go. He had admirers among the priestesses, and unadmittedly among the Knights in training, but he found himself drawn to her somehow.

Perhaps it was a case of like calling to like? Clearly, the two were similar in their own ways. Taken from their parents, judged harshly for things they couldn't control. In his case, it was a combination of his father's legacy and their attempts to break him of his father's rebellious spirit ahead of time. In her case, it was because she had no healing abilities and could only be trained as a knight or discarded as a broken tool. It probably didn't help that, though she probably didn't think so herself, she was a gorgeous young woman, and she could probably hit just as hard as he could. He wasn't sure why that was a plus, but it really really was.

By the time he arrived, she was getting ready to leave and Tulik had just thrown Mason across the room where he landed at Daniel's feet.

"Hey, Tulik, how many times does this make?" Daniel asked their instructor, raising an eyebrow inquisitively
"By my last count, two hundred and thirty three times without a single victory for your young friend. It'll be another thousand times before he can so much as come close either" the old man laughed boisterously as Daniel hauled Mason to his feet.
"Yeah, well, if you'd give me my last ring back, this wouldn't be a contest" Mason snapped at him
"If your last ring wasn't blasphemous power then you could have it back. Control that temper" Tulik snapped back at him.

"Come on Mason, think you're done for the day" Daniel stated, patting him on the back as they headed off to walk the grounds.

Daniel was unusually quiet as they went in the opposite direction of Rentia and Kaess, enough so that Mason actually commented on it.

"What's got you so pensive, wolf eyes?" Mason asked
"Did you just say pensive?"
"Yes, answer the question"
"The new girl commented on how I hold back against the other students. She said I shouldn't hold back when I fight you lot, that I ought to break bones and let them learn the harshest possible lesson when they fight me. I had assumed that I was doing the right then by holding back"
"You've been holding back?!"
"Well, yeah. Even without my rings, I know how to break bones, dislocate joints and just generally cause pain. I've been studying anatomy since we were in basic training. Did you just think I was looking at the diagram charts on girls?"
"Actually, yes, yes I did"
"...Right. You really ought to read them and pay close attention. I think I might stop holding back when I fight from now on... Maybe I'll even beat Tulik"

-~.,,.~-_-~.,,.~-​

The next day, instead of being led to the rest of the class, Daniel was pulled aside and led to a private sparring room where he was left to wait without being told what was going on.

It seems one of the Senior Grand Knights had made a decision on how Rentia and Daniel ought to be taught, and had approached Kaess and basically told him that Rentia and Daniel would be privately tutored once a week by another fully fledged Knight. This had been considered after the events of the previous day, considering Daniel and Rentia had been evenly matched until Daniel tried to get fancy and face planted himself into Ren.

While he waited, Daniel unlooped the chain from his neck and removed one of the rings from it. This was a cloudy ring, much like his own, but... it was different. Older, a little tarnished, and a bit bigger, as though it had grown with the man who had worn it. He hadn't tried wearing this ring in a long time, the last time he had, he'd had some pretty bad nightmares for a long time after the fact. He was considering it now though. Explaining to Ren the difference between what he knew to be fact and what other people considered to be the truth had brought back the memories. He wanted to be closer to his father, and wondered that, now that he was older and stronger, maybe he could wear this...

When Kaess and Rentia entered the room, Daniel was sat against the back wall with the ring in one hand, staring intently at it with one leg drawn up and the other stretched out.

Ren walked through the long hallways slowly, not thinking but simply walking, the sun hadn't even began to rise over the hills, and Kaêss was still sound asleep in his bed. She had remembered the look on the guards face that had come up to them in the library, handing Kaêss a note to proclaim that Ren would be governed in another form in special tutoring against that boy, Daniel, and Kaêss had no room to refuse. "It'll be good for you my dear." He had proclaimed, but Ren had been less then happy with the idea. It wasn't the fact that Ren wasn't impressed with the boy, his fighting style, but it was the fact that she knew the true reason for pulling them aside to private lesson was because the fact Tulik had been less then pleased with a girl in his study.

So now Ren walked around, mindlessly, passing a door she knew well before going to another and knocking on it softly. The wood vibrated under her small fist, the sound rattling down and echoing through the stone hallway. She waited outside of it, listening as things got knocked around, as chains rattled before the door unlocked and swung open. A woman stood in the open doorway, one eyes missing, the other side of her lip had been cut to the corner of her good eye, and she looked down with that one golden hue at Ren. "What is it girl?" The woman spoke, spit coming out of her mouth and rolling down her chin, her body was covered head to toe and clothing.

"Med..." Ren began, head hung low, she rubbed her red face, as though she had been choking back tears all night. Her blood shot eyes looked up at the woman.

"Speak up child!" The woman sneered, though it wasn't very hateful, it was just how the woman spoke anymore.

"..icine...Medicine.." Ren commented, throat soar. The woman's golden eye made contact with Ren's face now, seeing the color of her hair as she sighed, bones relaxing as she turned around and went back into the large room. She waved Ren inside, who moved slowly, and pointed to a bed in the corner that had been recently changed.

"Sit. I'll fetch it." Ren closed her eyes, sitting on the bed and resting her back against the wall. Tables were lined with herbs in jars, small vials filled to the brim, a bowl filled with a wooden piece hand carved to pummel the herbs or grind them together. Ren was completely silent as the woman banged things around moving back and forth in the cramp cluttered space. "Hearing the voices again?" The woman commented causing Ren's eyes to jerk open. "I was guessing that's why you want the medicine earlier than normal. Becoming too much for you girl?" Ren smiled softly, rubbing her eyes.

"No, my coughing wouldn't stop." Ren admitted, pulling a leg to her chest and resting her arm loosely against it. She looked at the old woman with admiration, Ren had grown to know her quite a lot over the years, and the scars on her face had been a cause of her protecting Ren. The woman turned, holding something in her hand, twisting them between her meaty fingers as she sighed coming closer to the girl.

"At least you don't hear them in your sleep. As for your coughing, you know the drill, I can only alleviate the pain, it will never go away." The woman held out her hand, a mixture of herbs twisted together and dried. Ren looked at the things, before grabbing them from the woman's hands though she seemed less then herself.

"I know.." Ren finally said frowning as she broke the long herbs in half, bundled them together to push them into her mouth and chew them down.

"It will only get worse.." The woman said as Ren chewed, but Ren's eyes were closed, as if she had heard the words a thousand times already. This time however Ren was quiet, she didn't respond, she only swallowed the herbs.​

~*~ ~*~ ~*~​

Kaêss had found Ren in the sort of state he normally did, binding her breasts, ribs, thighs, ass, down so they were closer to her bones, enough so she looked more like a boy then a girl had one not looked at her face. Ren's face was too small, too round, too soft to be a boy's face, unless it was a boy who had yet to go through puberty, and each day Ren's features deepened, making her more beautiful. Kaêss watched her dress, slowly, though her eyes were still red as he stood in her doorway until she was done and escorted her through the halls.

"You would make a fine lady my dear." Kêss started but Ren was watching her feet, she had bound them as well, and it was hard to walk after freezing her feet yesterday with the ring. Still, she heard the comment, but she was silent. "Perhaps it would be wise to let go of the teachings I have so bestowed upon you. Perhaps you might surrender the rings, and perhaps you may find a boy you like to court you, marry him and-" Ren punched his arm, hard enough it echoed through the halls as they got to the door. Kaêss stumbled back, holding his arm as he looked at her bewildered.

"I'm not a lady! I was never a lady! I will never be a lady!" Ren retorted agitated, though she knew why he had said such things. Still, as Kaêss opened his mouth to speak again, Ren was past the archway to the opening of the private training chamber. She saw Daniel in the corner, though no instructor in sight. Ren looked away, moving to the other side of the room, she had seen the ring in his hand but had paid no mind. Kaêss filled in a moment later, straightening himself as he looked at Ren.

"You should sit with the boy, he will be your opponent from now on, perhaps you should get to know him better." Kaêss stood by her, but Ren seemed not to care as she sat down, she looked tired.

"I don't care to know him. I don't care to know anyone. I'm here to train, I'm here to learn how to fight, not how to make a boy get on his knees for me." Ren glared at Kaêss it seemed it was not the first time they had such a discussion. "Besides...most of the boys in that room will die either in training or on their first mission. You've said that yourself, as have the books you've made me read." Ren looked away, fingers stretching as Kaêss nodded to her words.

"Such is a hard truth my dear. However, it is still wise to know who your opponent is, even to find their weaknesses." Ren didn't seem amused, Kaêss turned towards Daniel, crossing the room, he bowed his head. "However might you be during dear Daniel? I presume you have slept well and are prepared for you training today?"​

"Perhaps now would be a bad time to mention that I could hear you two in the halls, and that I find her reactions more amusing than alarming?" Daniel responded to Kaess' question, still staring at the ring momentarily before replacing it on the chain he always wore. His gaze went to the man's face as he studied him, then stated "I have not been sleeping well lately, but I am ready to train". Truth be told, he didn't sleep well most nights, finding himself awake earlier and earlier each day, awakening to the dark from nightmares that seemed to get more real, more palpable each evening.

The young man stood, moved across the room, and then sat beside Ren, whether she wanted him to or not. After a moment, he finally said "You need to knock this lone wolf thing off"

After a moment of silence, he began to speak "I know you think you are protecting yourself from disappointment, or betrayal, or something equally horrendous. I understand that you've lost a lot in your short life, a lot of us have, my sister and I especially. Not everyone here has an especially horrible story, and I'm sure you've been treated like a freak by most of the men and women around you for what you are, who your family had been, and what you can do. The thing is, is that while you have a lot to prove and, you might think you don't, you still need allies".

He took her hand in his and took one of his rings, sliding it onto her finger. Much to Kaess surprise (I assume), and not so much to Daniel's surprise, the ring began to glow on her finger. Within moments, the cloudy, grey gem cleared up, and Rentia would begin to feel considerably better than she had several moments before. Her head cleared, the coughing she had been experiencing began to abate, and the color returned to her cheeks.

"I promise you that I won't die, and if I do, I will claw my way from Hell just to make sure you're not alone" Daniel told her as he patted her hand, allowing her to keep his ring on her finger for the time being "We Carver's are notoriously hard to kill, and we've been known to come back when all have thought us to be dead. I promise, I will never betray you, and I will never let you down. Even if you don't want me, I will be your ally until you don't need me anymore".

His attention turned to Kaess as he said "I fear I've been rude. I assume you yourself have slept well? I can tell that Rent... Ren probably has not, but you look fine, though I fear your arm is going to bruise if you keep letting her punch you like that"

Meanwhile, as they talked, a tall and slender figure was slowly strutting down the hallway, heels clacking on the floor as the woman approached.

(Note: This new figure is one of my characters)

Daniel's Rings: #1: Elementless, Grey Step#2: Elementless, Panacea and Immunity 3#: ??? 4#: ??? 5#: ???
Father's Rings: 1#: Elementless, Grey Step Advanced 2#:??? 3#:??? 4#:??? 5#:??? 6#:??? 7#:??? 8#:??? 9#:??? 10#:??? 11#:???

Kaêss was the one that was most surprised by Daniel's words, he straightened his back watching the boy speak. Still his eyes followed Daniel as he moved over to Ren "Perhaps you should see a healer then, I hear they can help with the most terrible of nights."

Ren jerked away when he sat by her, her eyes were still red as they had been and she looked uncomfortable with him sitting by her. "You can't tell me how to act!" Ren proclaimed when he told her to cut out the act, though she was acting a bit of a brat. Ren looked away, glaring at Kaêss who only bowed to her and moved closer to them, standing by Ren's side.

Her head turned listening to him speak. "You don't know anything about me." Ren started when he was done. "So you know my family and that I have ten rings, that I'm the first girl to be in this class, but you don't know me. I don't know you." Ren looked away.

The feeling of him taking her hand made Ren jump. "Ey! Cut it out!" Ren snapped, trying to pull her hand away as he slide the ring on her finger. Her brows were furrowed as she looked at him, though her eyes quickly followed the ring to see it glowing. Kaêss moved closer holding out his hand for Ren as she sighed, the color returning to her as if for a moment. She held up the hand with the ring allowing him to examine it.

"Smart. Very smart lad. To know the ring would not object her." Ren looked at the ring as Kaêss spoke, before looking at Daniel questioningly. Her throat felt better, at least for a moment, and she felt more herself, though she knew as soon as the ring slipped off her finger her aliments might return. Ren was curious, how the boy knew she had not slept well, how he knew her throat had been soar, though he seemed to not know why.

"Why are you promising me such things?" Ren's brows furrowed, confusion struck her face. She had only met the boy the day before and had a moment alone with him in the garden as much as she could stand. Ren huffed at his words, pulling her hand back and taking the ring off. It was a nice gesture he had given her, but she placed the ring back in his hand. "I don't believe you. I don't believe anyone that says that. Everyone lies when they say they won't die, because everyone dies." Ren straightened her back rubbing her eyes. "I don't need your charity, I can take care of myself." Stubborn as always it seemed. Kaêss straightened himself when Daniel addressed him, bowing his head.

"I sleep well my boy. I've learned to concur my demons in my night so I may wake to a world filled with madness with a clear mind. I've had worse. Many have beaten me and tried to kill me, yet I still climb out alive and well." Kaêss nodded his head, looking at Ren before he pulled out the pouch and sat it on her lap. "If you shall need it today, I suggest you choose the ring." He said, but Ren only looked at the bag before picking it up and setting it aside her. She tried clearing her throat, though she didn't seem eager to take the ring Daniel had tried to help her with back from his hand.

"When is the instructor suppose to get here? I don't like waiting all day." Ren grunted, though a hand went up to grab her throat and rub it.​

"I may look a brute, but we are not all trained to be mindless meat shields and cannon fodder, you know" Daniel stated as he took the ring back, grinning at Kaess "I have heard the stories, and I have listened. "The girl with ten rings can use any other ring", they say. Rather interesting to hear".

Before Daniel could properly address Rentia, a voice came from the door way. It was a lazy, seductive drawl, feminine, and if Kaess still had his genitals, they would very likely be inauspiciously erect at the mere sound of the woman's voice. "It is my right to make you wait however long I please" the woman spoke as she entered the room, black robes sweeping out behind her "And I suggest you listen to my descendant, dear girl, because when a Carver makes a promise, we very, very rarely go back on them".

The woman before them was just as tall as Daniel, which was unusual for a woman, but most of her body was obscured by layers of robes that prevented anyone from actually seeing her figure. Her face, however, was very reminiscent of Daniel's own, but considerably more feminine and, oddly, older only by a decade and no more. This was Trishatla Berikre Carver, though many simply called her Trisha, or mistress depending on whom you asked.

"Aun..auntie Trisha" Daniel said, clearly surprised, and was that a hint of fear in his voice? He backed up a step, then chuckled and said "Of course they'd choose you to train us".
"I have much experience with you "abominations" Trisha stated, grinning teasingly at the two of them to show her words were merely playful "I have trained many of the type that nobody wanted to so much as think about. The young man of legend who only had one very powerful ring and no others. I was quite fond of him. Shame he died the way he did, but paranoia is as paranoia does".

Her attention turned to Kaess, and she addressed him "Good morning, Caretaker. I see you are in good health, all things considered". One hand reached out, a tentative touch against his arm. Her power flared to life through her pale skin, and the bruises that Rentia had left on him were very suddenly gone. Her attention once more turned to the pair before her.

"My name is Trishatla Berikre Carver, Progenitor of the Carver Clan. I have been told to train you two, since you are both... unique cases" She stated "Rentia Stormbin, being unique because you are the first in a very long time to be able to not only wield ten rings, but use more than that still" There was a hint of admiration in her voice, as though she found it something to be proud of "And, I am sure you are aware Daniel, and perhaps you as well Kaess, that Daniel is the only known child of someone who wore more than the five rings that they should have and survived. The usual actions taken by those who wear anymore than five often start out benevolent, but eventually descend to madness and destruction. Clearly this was not the case with with your father"

"Anyways, enough rambling. I am to be your instructor. Any questions?" Trisha asked, raising an eyebrow at the two.

Ren looked at Daniel surprised. Perhaps the only really interested in her was the fact she could use more than five rings, or was allowed to, but Ren thought little about it. She thought little about anything anymore then achieving her goals and proving everyone wrong. "Say what you will, but I don't believe you." Ren sneered though she watched Kaêss expression as he bowed his head in approval.

"Now we know for certain she can use others rings." Kaêss looked at Ren, as though he suspected something ill formed inside of her. His attention, along with Ren's own, was drawn towards the door as the woman entered. Ren got to her feet, grabbing Daniel's arm briefly to steady herself as she looked up at the instructor. Ren's eyes quickly fell, envious. "So unusual for the Masters of the Monastery to allow a relative of another to train them. Though I suppose most things are unusual in the matter of speaking of us freaks, and a girl able to wield magic deemed only for the worthiest of men." Ren's head was bowed as he talked, as though she hated when he talked like such. "Ahh, such a gentle hand of a healer. Thank you my dear." Kaêss bowed, stepping back to sit down.

Ren was silent as the woman spoke. She knew healers had many knowledges about aliments about the Templars, but there was some that were kept hidden, under wraps. No papers were kept in books about them, but Ren knew them well, and she looked away when the woman spoke about a man with one ring. "What are we to train today?" Ren finally asked after a pause, arms behind her back.​

"Simple, starting from today, the two of you are going to engage in exercises in order to become more comfortable with each other, and to become less distracted by the opposite sexes body" The woman stated, then turned her attention to Kaess "For the time being, this will be a private lesson. I am more than capable of handling what may happen, so I am relieving you of your post for the time being"

Daniel blinked a few times, then said "Oh god, no, Auntie Trisha, please not that"
"Aww, and here I was told that you and your sister did so well with this training" The woman cooed teasingly, grinning and showing off sharp white teeth
"That's different! She's blood! Ren is not!" He argued

"Doesn't matter. Both of you will strip down to absolutely nothing" Trisha stated forcefully, moving to close the door behind Kaess "For the time you are training with me, you will do so in nothing"

Ren was uncertain what kind of training this woman was planning, but she didn't enjoy the twinkle in her eyes. Kaêss seemed to however have the up-most respect for the woman. "Dear lady, please be wise with the girl, she is only one and five." Kaêss smiled at Ren, before bowing to her and Trisha. "You are in the most capable of hands my dear Ren, I shall see you in a bit." Ren watched him leave, the doors shutting behind him as Trisha began to speak.

The look on Daniel's face made Ren feel unpleasant, and then the words that came out of the woman's mouth. "I'll do no such thing! Are you mad?" Ren's face was twisted, uneasy at the thought. The only boy she had ever undressed in front of had been her brother, who was only a year older than her when they had been much younger. That, and the only person that had seen her growing up had been Terra, before Terra had called their love a sin.

"No!" Ren screamed, agitated with the idea, but the scream caused her to cough, so harshly she grabbed her throat and spat up a bit of blood. No doubt Ren was out raged but she knew how the boys had looked at her, how some of her trainers looked at her. It was why she bandaged herself down, but they still looked expecting things from her she didn't like. Ren rubbed a bit of blood off her lower lip but she didn't say anything else. Medicine didn't cure what was wrong, nor did magic, Ren knew that much.

Ren looked up at the sky before huffing, she backed away from Daniel, untrusting of both of them, but Ren moved to grab her pouch and went to the doors to moved, her hands were shaking as she looked at the woman.​

Trisha looked over Ren as she approached, giving her an appraising look before she finally said "I am not mad, and you will do such a thing if you wish to be trained as a knight. My grandson has given you an oath which you seem to take lightly, not to mention that I am you instructor, and disobeying me is worthy of punishment. I can guarantee you the punishment I subject you to would be considerably more painful and humiliating than fighting a young man naked".

"Aunt Trisha, for the love of god, she's not even a Carver. Other people don't do this kind of training!" Daniel argued with her, yelling at her from across the room
"Carver or not, she has been given over to me to train, as have you. You will learn to become one, fight as though you were extensions of each other, otherwise you two will not survive"

"If you step out this door" Trisha warned the both of them, but was focusing on Rentia "You will be submitting yourself to punishment. You can either cooperate, and allow yourself to be trained, or fight me, and lose much more than a little bit of dignity"

Back
Top Bottom