Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Magic Mayhem (bobsyouruncle1 x Averavic)

Averavic

Super-Earth
A young witch and a young wizard were seated comfortably on the terraced balcony of a tall tower. The tower was an elaborate structure of intertwining archways, bridges, and spires, that had no business whatsoever being located in the quiet residential neighborhood below. The building was in fact shielded from the eyes of common folk by layers of magic, disguising it as just another common home. This curious place was the home of a small gathering of magic-users who had long ago dedicated themselves to protecting these poor ignorant folks from the many dangers they knew nothing about.

Alexia was sipping a cold beverage that smelled of mint and ginger, watching the sun slowly dip beyond the horizon. The street lights began to turn on below, and cars returned home after a long days work, or left to enjoy the night life. Alexia turned to her companion, a sleepy smile on her face. "Really couldn't ask for a better night, could we? It's so peaceful down there."

"We could ask for a less boring night..." Nick replied whilst using magic to set each of his fingers on fire with a magical blue flame. He always preferred action to sitting around, wasting the night. "I don't understand how you enjoy sitting here. It's so boring Alexia!" The flames from his fingers burned bright and out of control so he quickly closed his fist, extinguishing them. "Oops." He said quietly and then stood up, walked over to the stone wall that ringed the balcony and leaned his back against it. "When can we leave?" He complains. Alexia was in charge of the pair. Nick had no problem with that but sometimes he wished he could just do what he wanted.

Alexia sighed, flopping back in her chair like a sloth. "And I don't get how you're always so restless!" She put her feet up on the bars of the balcony and pushed her chair back, rocking it slightly as she stared up at the darkening sky. "Why can't you just relax for a change? Honestly, it's like living with a child sometimes. Just chill." She set her drink down and let the chair flop back to the ground. She got up, moving to stand beside Nick, leaning on the railing. "Besides, where would we even go? Nothing's happened around here in weeks. No demons, no undead - not even a damn vampire!"

Nick remembers the last time they fought a vampire fondly. It had been the first time he had used fire magic and now he always used it. "Maybe we could go down there." He motions to the city below. "Come on. It'll be fun." He nudges her with his elbow. "Please! Just one hour-" Nick was cut off by a message in his head. The elder wizards preferred to communicate that way but Nick hated it. "Did you get that?" He asks, his head hurting. "We're needed downtown." Nick rubs his head and starts to walk towards his weapon cupboard. "Demon."

Alexia heard the broadcast loud and clear, echoing inside her head like some invasive radio station. She begrudgingly pushed herself away from the railing. "Well, it looks like you got your wish, Nick." She said, heading to the broom closet. While it was by no means necessary for her to travel by broom, she liked the tried and true methods of ages past. She pulled an ancient looking straw broom from a rack, and a thin wand from beside it, tucking the wand into a pocket of her vest. She closed the closet, and moved to a glass cabinet that displayed an odd variety of pendants and bracelets. "Let's see, best protection from demon magic would be - ah yes!" She retrieved a small glass phylactery filled with a red liquid and hung it around her neck. "A couple drops of angel blood should help." She looked about the room briefly, wanting to be sure she didn't forget anything.

"Take a blade too." Nick says as he attaches two short swords to his back and a long sword to his waist. Nick preferred combat magic so instead of using a sand to channel his magic, he used his swords. He grabbed some Angel blood to and hung it around his neck. He walked over to Alexia and waited for her to get ready. He tightened his bracers around his forearms and then rolled his shoulders. "I'm hoping on your broom with you." He says and folds his arms.

She took his advice and strapped a thin rapier-like blade to her side. "You know, you really should learn to fly one of these things sooner or later. They're a lot of fun!" She headed back to the balcony with broom in and and mounted it, waving for him to climb on behind her. "Alright, grab hold tight." She said, not waiting to find out if he did or not. She kicked off hard and the broom rocketed into the air like a falcon. She had the broom firmly under her control as she guided it over the rooftops smoothly, swaying slightly with the wind. Her hair blew back from her smiling face, as her eyes searched the ground below. It wasn't long before she spotted the commotion. She pointed down towards a pillar of smoke, where the light of a fire mixed with the flashing lights of sirens. "That looks like the spot!" She yelled over the rush of wind in her ears.

"Circle around for a minute! I want to see what we're up against!" Nick yells over the wind. He holds on tightly with his hands on her waist and looks down at the commotion. "It's a shadow demon!? How did that get here?" He shouts, slightly worried. He had never fought a shadow demon before and they were very powerful. "Get the citizens out of the way! I'll distract it!" He waits until they are above the demon and then kisses Alexia's cheek like he had done a thousand times before and then leaped off the broom, drawing both of his short swords.

Alexia did a few circles around the scene, watching the shadow demon smash its way through a cop car like it was made of Lego blocks. She shook his head at his Jump into the Frey tactic that he preferred. "Damn fool. You're going to get yourself killed one of these days if you keep that up." She made a mental note to berate him on that when they got home as she leaned in, descending to just 10 or 20 feet above the streets. She watched the mindless sheep of the crowd gather near the wreckage, unsure if what they were seeing was real, a hoax, or some sort of terrorist act. Either way, she knew they should run, but the mob-curiosity effect was getting the better of them, and many just mulled around trying to get a better view.

She pulled her broom up and took the wand out of her pocket in preparation of another pass. She swooped down low again, approaching a crowd of people and muttered an incantation, pointing the wand in their direction. She temporarily lifted the veil that covered their eyes, and the true horror of the shadow demon was revealed to them. The panic that ensued wasn't exactly pretty, but at least now the crowd was moving in the right direction. She didn't even need to cast her spell on many of them. Once a handful began to flee, the others quickly followed suit, and soon it was only the police and a particularly brave news crew that was left behind. She looked for a good place to land to try and get the rest of them to safety.

Nick muttered a spell to soften his landing and he landed with the grace of a cat and then ran towards the demon. He swung his swords towards the demons legs and when they made contact they burst into flames and dug deep into the things flesh. That was when things started going wrong. The demon turned towards him and let out a deep laugh. It spoke in an ancient tongue and tendrils of shadows engulfed Nick and dragged him to the floor. He tried to cast a light spell but all of his magic seemed to ebb away from him. "Alexia!" He yelled as the tendrils started to constrict and crush him.

Alexia heard the yell as she was coming in for a landing. She skidded to a halt in the street, hopping off her broom and looking around for Nick. The concern was clearly painted on her face in the creases of her brow. Nick never yelled out like that. She spotted him then, tangled up in a dark mass of tendrils as the shadow demon began pulling Nick towards it. She yelled out for him, tossing the broom aside and running to him. The wand was still clenched tightly in her left hand, and she drew the rapier with her right, the thin blade gleaming in the yellowish light.

As she approached, the demon turned on her, and more tendrils shot out for her. She leaped backwards to avoid them, swatting some aside with the rapier. It was all she could do to keep up with the creature, and she couldn't seem to get ahead of it. "I can't get close to you!" She yelled out, slapping aside a tendril that shot at her like an arrow. The tendril was thrown to the side, but snapped back quickly, trying to tangle her legs. She jumped it, and had to back up several steps to prepare herself for the next strike.

Nick had to fight to keep his eyes open. The magic that this demon was very powerful and Nick couldn't fight it for much longer. In a last attempt he managed to mutter the spell that set his fingers alight but this time cast it all over his body. The shadows receded at the touch of the flames and Nick struggled to his feet. "Now Alexia!" He channeled all of his remaining strength into a huge blue fireball and then sent it hurtling towards the demon. It would take both his and Alexia's magic to bring this thing down and he hoped she had a good spell.

Alexia dove out of the path of a tendril and got up onto one knee. Seeing the fireball launching at the creature, she raised her wand and muttered a spell, drawing extra power from the vial around her neck. The glass shattered, and a beam of light launched itself from her wand towards the beast. The magic of the phylactery was destroyed by the force of it, but she needed all the energy she could get. The creature took the moment of exposure and was able to grab hold of her right after the beam went off. She hoped it had been enough as the tendrils closed around her torso and started wrapping around the rest of her limbs.

Nick leaped towards the tendril with and slashed towards it with both of his swords. He severed it and he saw the creature fall to the floor. Nick turned to Alexia and grinned. "Who's the best wizar-" Nick was cut off by a tendril grabbing his leg. He went to slash towards it but it turned into a vapour and then traveled through his mouth. Nick yelped in pain before dropping to the ground, his eyes completely black. The dark magic had consumed him and all Nick could see was darkness. "Alexia!" He cried. "Lexi help me!" He started to thrash around sending small bursts of fire, lightning and earth in all directions.

Alexia fell to the ground when the tendrils were slashed, rolling away quickly to escape any backlash. The fireball and beam of light made contact, and the beast roared in fury and pain, a massive scar forming in its shadowy mass. She sprung up to her feet in time to see Nick writhing in agony as the elements escaped him in violent spurts. "Nick, what happened?" She rushed to is side and grabbed hold of his shoulders, shaking him desperately. "Nick, look at me! Fight it, Nick! Fight it!"

"Alexia!? I can't see! I can't see...." He starts to cry but manages to keep his spells under control. He looks straight into alexia's eyes although he couldn't see and a few tears fell down his face. "Help me..." He whispers and reaches up, touching her cheek gently. "Please help me..."

Alexia saw his eyes swirling with darkness and fought the panic that was beginning to set in. Behind them the demon roared in anger and charged at them. Alexia pulled them away, diving to the side. "Damn it! We've got to get out of here Nick!" She said, pulling him up to his feet. She grabbed hold of his hand and pulled him along behind her. Her eyes searched the street for her discarded broom and she spotted it lying beside a bush. "Shut your eyes!" She yelled, forgetting in her rush that he could not see. She fired a flare spell over her shoulder and a bright light ball of light exploded into the street, blinding the demon and police officers alike. She used the distraction to reach the broom and maneuvered the two of them on the broom before kicking off, careening into the sky at rapid speeds. "Hang on tight!"

Nick did as he was told and followed her to her broom. He wraps his arms around her waist and holds on to her tightly. "Alexia? What's happening? I can see things... Bad things...." He shouts over the wind. He starts to panic again and he starts to breathe heavily. "I need the elders. They need to help me..." He says and he closes his eyes, hoping to stop the visions that he was having.

Once they were some distance away from the fighting Alexia turned her head back to watch what was happening. The demon had been wounded, but it wasn't done yet. Not by a long shot. The fires had spread further down the street, and she was guessing the demon was making its way to more populated regions. Someone would have to deal with that, and soon. But first she had to deal with Nick!

She led them to the massive park in the centre of town. In the middle of the park stood a massive, ancient oak tree, which she landed near. "Alright, come on. Not far now." She said, guiding him towards the tree with an arm around his shoulders. She took hold of his hand and placed it on the bark. They had used this portal for years to reach the other witch and wizard compounds, but she wasn't entirely sure he would be able to use it in his present condition. "Come on, Nick. Just like you always do. You just need to concentrate, okay? I'll be right behind you."

Nick tries to focus on the portal instead of the visions and soon his hand began to glow. He steps forwards into the tree and then emerges into a stone hallway. "Help!" He shouts and stumbles forwards. He holds his hand behind him for Alexia to take and starts to walk forward with his other hand on the wall. "Alexia? Are you here?"

Alexia pushes forward into the tree and emerges behind Nick. She quickly reaches for Nick's hand, holding it firmly. She came close to him and held him tight in her arms for a brief moment. "It's going to be okay!" She said quietly into his ear. "I'm sure the elders can help." She pulled him along a quick walk, and the stone hall opened up into a vast cavernous space. She followed the path to a small but elegent building where a number of witches and wizards were milling about. Their discussion stopped abruptly when they saw Alexia enter with Nick in tow.

An older gentleman in a long flowing robe rushed to their side immediately. "Alexia! What on Earth happened?" He waved a young apprentice forward and ordered him to get help. "Here, sit, sit. Help is on the way." He said as he led them to a bench off to the side.

Nick sat down but wouldn't let go of Alexia's hand. "Don't go Lexi. Please..." He holds her hand tightly. "The visions are hurting. Make them stop! Please make them stop..." He looks around the room as though looking for where his friend is. "Are they coming?" He asks, still looking for her.

Alexia held his hand tight while she sat next to him. "I'm right here." She said, "Nick, I'm right beside you. I won't leave you."

The older man bent over and laid his hands on Nick's face. He pulled his eyelids open and peered into his eyes as he spoke. "Nick, it's Master Kenway. Try and relax, alright? Tell me, what are these visions you see?" He said in a calm, relaxing voice. Clearly he had seen something of the sort before, as he was not nearly so shaken as Alexia or Nick were.

"The others." He looks around and then focuses on a point on the wall. "They're using blood magic, master. They summoned the demon." He says. "They're going to attack us soon... We need to stop them." Nick squeezes Alexia's hand. "Help me... They hurt.."

A small group of wizards and witches rushed into the room, and frantically began preparations for a ritual. They set to work drawing circles and symbols with chalk on the stone floor, while others layed out candles or strange artifacts in very specific positions. They ushered Nick up from the bench, pulling him away from Alexia who reached out for him as he left. They positioned Nick in the centre and urged him not to move if he could avoid it. They surrounded him, each member of the circle adding something to the chant. The sound of their voices boomed in the hall, echoing off the stone and seemed to shake the very Earth beneath their feet.

Back
Top Bottom