Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Bound [CoNfUsEd-KiDz and Seraph]

Seraph

Supporter
Supporter
Even though they had been promised by the local magistrate time after time that there would be protection for the village against the bandits, it had never happened. Every few weeks to a month, the bandits would come into the town and steal food, gold, and people. The last one was for the slave trade that had begun to boom in the last few years—the nobility had tired of hiring servants and having to pay them for their work. They now chose to buy slaves and used them how they pleased until the slave died, or they decided to sell him or her for another one. It was because of that, that the town was harsh to stranger and quick to slam their door in the face of anyone suspicious.

Abigail, more often called Abby, dashed about the dirt roads of the moderate sized village and she struggled to finish the shopping that her mother had sent her out for. The nineteen-year-old young woman was a bit of a shame to her family in that she had not married yet and was fast approaching the age where people would think there was something wrong with her. In attempts to make her be seen more, her mother had her to most of the chores outside—if there was laundry to be hung, Abby did it, if there was milk to be churned into butter, Abby did it. Everything that would make her look like a better wife to a prospective man, Abby’s mother had her do. It was backbreaking sometimes, but she knew that her mother meant well. She was a fair looking young woman with bright blue eyes and soft looking dark blonde hair that swept around her face in loose strands.

“Missy,” came a call from one of the vendors, “Shouldn’t ye be getting home by now? T’is almost nightfall, and ye know what comes out at night.”

“Aye!” She smiled back and waved, “I know, but I have a little more to find. I’ll be safe at home before dusk, sir.”

A few people shook their heads in amusement and pity for the young woman. She was a sweet girl, but she was too fearless and loud for anyone to ever want her as a wife. Perhaps if her tongue was removed, she would be a prettier match for any man, but until that day, she would remain unwed. But, she was a strong worker and that counted in some people’s books, so occasionally someone would express interest before their friends or family told them the rumors about the young woman. According to rumor, she wasn’t right in the head—something about witchcraft or some other nonsense. There was no prove but it was enough to keep even the most determined man away from her.

Abby jumped as the watchman rang his bell to let everyone in the town know that they wanted for them all to close up shop and settle in for the night. It was just safer that way for everyone in the town. She bit her bottom lip, “Oh no…I still need to get to the baker’s!”

Back
Top Bottom