Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Vampire: The Masquerade - Boston by Night - Interest Check

Erinye

Supporter
Supporter
Current players
dancrilis
mystictiger

2 SPOTS OPEN!

Looking for three or four interested players, for a Vampire: The Masquerade campaign. Knowledge of the setting is a bonus, but not actually required. I will act as GM.

This will be a story about kindred politics and intrigue, centuries old vendetta's unfolding, investigation, facing the horrors of the night and (hopefully) prevailing against the odds. Power, wealth and immortality awaits those who have the guts to take it, death to those who fail.

What is the Vampire: The Masquerade?

Vampire is a game of personal horror, putting the players in the shoes of immortal vampires, living in secret among the human populations of the world, prowling, killing and playing their deadly games of politics and intrigue against each other. Several clans, that is bloodlines or families of vampires, banded together sometime in the dark ages, and formed what is now known as the Camarilla, an organization seeking to hide the existence of vampires from the modern world, and thereby ensure the survival of their race. In a world of wireless internet and digital cameras everywhere, this is becoming harder and harder. While the younger vampires flourish, the older ones become steadily more afraid of loosing their power. On top of this they have to deal with the Sabbat (a rival organization of more inhuman vampires), murderous werewolves, enigmatic mages, vampire hunters and many more stranger things.

I wont go into major detail about the setting here, cause that could go on forever. Trust me, I tried and realized I was writing a novel. So instead I'm gonna direct you to Wikipedia, where you can browse and read to your hearts content.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vampire:_The_Masquerade

http://whitewolf.wikia.com/wiki/Vampire:_The_Masquerade

Alright, so the basics first.

This will be a Camarilla campaign, set in and around Boston, as the name suggests, with a few restrictions to promote balance, immersion and rp. We are using the 20th Anniversary Rulebook, following the standard rules for character creation (with a few restrictions), though I would like to focus on storytelling rather than dice rolling, emphasizing on a clean flow of character interaction and writing rather than let it be bogged down by endless dice rolls.

I will require you to write; not necessarily making every post into a novel, but give enough for me and the other players to react to. If you can only do one liners, this isn't for you.

I will as acting GM, nudge the story along when necessary, and will lead the story using characters of my own, to make sure it stays somewhat on track.

And the details.

Slight change of plans. I'm going to go ahead with the idea of letting all the player characters start out as mortals. Not only will this fit very well with the story, but it will enhance the personal horror aspect of the game as the characters slowly delve into the hidden world of the kindred. Eventually, somewhere down the line, you will be embraced, but it may not happen right away. I will still need you to chose a clan, so I can make sure you are embraced into that clan, unless you are willing to take a chance and accept what may come? Kudos to you if you are, your faith may just be rewarded.

In order to promote a fun and engaging experience for everyone, I am banning Malkavian characters. This is to ensure that their particular case of madness does not end up dominating the game, and derailing it into a comedic slapfest of jokes and weirdness. Saying this now, so consider my godly GM foot down on this subject, it will not budge. Its a wonderful clan, but sorry, I just dont trust players to play them how they should be played, as every single attempt I have ever seen, has failed.

This leaves a total of six clans to chose from, which should be more than enough.

The date is 2016. While technically the world ended back in 2004, I am extending the timeline to allow for a modern day setting, rather than having to think a decade or two back, which can be really frustrating. Gehenna is still a thing, it just has not happened yet.

The city is Boston, its a Camarilla game, and that's not open for discussion. While there may exist some canon lore around Boston, I am recreating it from the ground up.

I think that's all you need to know for now.

If you have questions, feel free to ask here or pm me.

RE: Vampire: The Masquerade - Boston by Night

Always interested in VtM (though I prefer the Dark Ages rule set as I feel it is more streamlined).

So just a two initial questions:
Do you have any age restrictions in mind less than 5 years dead? more than 50?, or up to the player.
I think vampire lends itself well to erotic content (and given that it is this forum I expect a reasonable amount of it), but how much are you thinking about for the game? As it happens organically in the course of hunting and personal interactions? a focal point of the game etc?

My thinking for a character is as follows:
A closeted lesbian horrified by her feelings joined a convent to embrace god - her sire noting her beauty and feeling it a waste embraced her on passion and bound her with the possible intention of breaking the bond later once she is more experienced.
So a very young vampire (less than a year) blood bound to her sire who seeks to strenghten her individually while breaking her out of who she was however he feels like.

I think it allows for a lot of different ways to go in the game.
Stuck between Brujah, Toreador and Ventrue - but think I might go Brujah (thinking uncontrolled use of awe could have interesting results and the passion that a Brujah is meant to have making her act even when she would regret it later on things outside of frenzy).

Do you think this character would work for you - or would you want a older/freer vampire.

I wanted to wait with character specifics for an actual Character Profile thread, rather than bog this thread down with tons of text and rules specifics, but I can answer your questions.

Naturally pr site rules your character need to be at least 15 years old, but I will increase that to 18+ since otherwise you would have difficulty going certain places, like nightclubs etc. Vampire age, I would say max 2 years, this is mostly to keep with the plot I had in mind, all the characters being fledglings/neonates and newly arrived in the city, but also to keep things fair and balanced between the players.

Regarding smut. This is a game about vampires, they are intimate by their very nature, biting people in the neck and other places... Yes, the setting lends itself very well to sexual scenes, and I will welcome it to an extend. The game will not focus on sex though, and I will not ask the other players to wait around for long sex scenes before progressing. That said, be as wicked as you want, as long as you respect the limits of the other players.

And finally, regarding your character. For the purposes of the story, you will need some amount of autonomy from your sire, a lot really, so being super closely bound is probably not a good idea. You will need to be able to fit into a group.

Not being closly bound by the sire pretty much will rule out Tremere and Ventrue because of the time it takes for those to get started, this is my own personal musings not saying this is how you will do it. I think I will go with clan Brujah or gangrel if someone else wants Brujah. I am interested regardless.

Well, thats the thing isnt it? Its always difficult to reason why a new character is away from their sire to be in the player group, thats just how it is. We can surely be flexible with regards to a pc's sire, but yeah, the group comes first.

I actually toyed with the idea of letting everyone start off as mortals, but I'm not sure how players would react to that. It would work very well with the story I had in mind though. Have everyone go in blind as to the world of the kindred (vampires), play up on the personal horror aspect. What would you two think about that?

Sad that Malkavian's aren't allowed, as I was feeling that clan lately but I totally get it. That being said, what are your feelings on antitribu characters?

If you don't like them(completely understandable) I'll probably go with the Ventrue clan.

antitribu clans will not be allowed.

I was planning on going over the different clans later, give a brief overview on their status and power level in Boston, then let players decide. It might just surprise you. This is really just to gauge interest.

Haha the only GM I have ever had that let me play an antitribu was my ex boyfriend. Maybe some day. xD

Erinye said:
I actually toyed with the idea of letting everyone start off as mortals, but I'm not sure how players would react to that. It would work very well with the story I had in mind though. Have everyone go in blind as to the world of the kindred (vampires), play up on the personal horror aspect. What would you two think about that?

I would be cool with that - played (and storytold) some games like that before and it allows you to put your own slant on things.
I think it also allows for fleshing out the character as a person a bit more in my opinion.

Updated the first post. Updates in red.

Sorry if this caused you to lose interest.

Perfect. If lilithsboy is still in as well, I can see about setting up the necessary threads tomorrow, and we can begin character creation.

There is still room for one more, two depending on lilith.

Sounds good - it is possible that as the trend moved to 'Group' from 'System' that they have missed it, (thinking about it system would likely be more suitable as VtM is a system if I am reading the forum right).

It was moved because the Story teller doesn't want dice involved, and system style roleplay is for games with mechanics.

I understood it was more light on dice (the way many games should probably be in my opinion) rather than completely no dice, so using the system (disciplines, attributes, abilities, humanity etc) but dice only being used when Erinye felt it would be appropriate (possible rolled on their side and fed back to us to allow for easy flow of interactions).

More on topic - I am happy to have the character assigned a clan based on which NPC vampire would make the most suitable sire given the mortal I create and the NPC vampires available (I have played a game like that before also and think it works well for the player to be in the dark a lot and with various options seeming to appear).

Yeah, I want to avoid dice rolling as far as possible, and when absolutely needed I figured I would roll for you and just narrate the results, that way we dont clutter the posts with mechanical stuff and dice rolls. Hope you are ok with that. The mods suggested we move it to group rp though, since we are going very light on mechanics.

You'll still need a character sheet and all, and your stats will be a good guideline as to what your character is capable of doing, as well as who wins in opposed "rolls". For most actions traditionally involving dice I think we can just compare attribute+ability ratings, and the winner is the one who has the highest score. Otherwise simply describe what your character is doing as part of your post, just remember not to godmode and I'm sure we will be fine.

Any questions?

Great lilithsboy. Feel free to think about a character, check the guidelines in the character profiles thread and post it there. If you have any questions at all, please post them in the OOC thread or pm me directly, so that the character profiles thread does not become cluttered.

It is indeed still going. We are currently in the process of creating characters. And we currently have a slot open, so if you want, you are in.

There is a little twist to it though, which is that you start out as a mortal. If this is a dealbreaker for you, sorry to have wasted your time. If you are still interested, wonderful. Go ahead and read through the character profile thread and go crazy, but please post any questions you have in the OOC thread or pm me directly, so we dont clutter the profile thread with unnecessary stuff.

As mentioned in the OP, you may chose from the traditional Camarilla clans, minus Malkavian, so yes Lasombra antitribu is out of the question. There are however plenty of Toreador in Boston, so that is definitely not a problem.

As you can see from my avatar, I'm something of a fan of a certain Clan. Toreador will do nicely. I'll work on an idea and be in touch shortly.

Back
Top Bottom