Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Colliding Worlds (BurningWillows & Greeneyed23)

Elaya huffed and licked her boss's wrist, her eyes soft and loving, then vanished into the bush silent as the grave.

The group settled in and Drea rose from the pool, bringing Tatia with her, both of them enclosed in a opaque water ball. "She is here Seraphina. Entirely unharmed." She flicked a glance at Tatia to ensure the siren was prepared to be seen by her fellows, and also to warn Sera not to be too harsh with the poor girl who was certain it was her fault.

Elaya altered herself enough to activate her headset and contact Gerry, who caught sight of her and followed her sweep. First they found the trail of the beast, a newly opened cave system, then Elaya collapsed it as it was too well hidden and too big to fully explore alone. Once she had done this she swept back and forth clearing the entire hillside with the sniper's aid, then she returned, diving into the pool, then rising fully human as she moved to Tatia.

"Not your fault sweetheart. He came through a cave we didn't know about that was hidden in the hill. Gerry couldn't see it. Not your fault at all." She hugged the siren then looked up at Sera. "All cleared boss. Further orders?" Her voice was normal and relaxed, but her eyes glinted hungrily as she looked at the Phoneix.

bef60d8fbe3b24bc890ae742d5405e50.jpg

Sera's eyes turned to see Drea and Tatia step out of the water, her arms crossing over her chest. It was hard for Seraphina to keep her temper in check. Her emotions ran like the fire coursing through her veins, hot and unpredictable. It was something she was known well for, and to piss her off meant getting an ear full at the minimum. And while Sera wasn't angry with Tatia she was definitely frustrated.

"We've had this discussion before Tatiana," Sera gave her a steely look, "I understand your needs, but you need to be more careful. Had it gotten to you before you screamed you'd be dead, and we'd all be too late to save you."

"Tatia," she corrected, looking defiant, "It's not like I'm calling them to me. My voice doesn't work on beasts."

"But noise itself attracts them, and you were on your own without a weapon," Sera retorted, "I'm not trying to be a bitch here, I'm trying to protect you and the group."

"So what do I do, not sing? I certainly can't amongst the team."

Tatia was referring to the first -and last- time she sang for the whole team. She had been simply doing it to lighten their moods on a long trip, but it had effected Gerry. Needless to say, their marksman was down for the count until the effects wore off in a few hours and Tatia had agreed it was safest she not sing near him or the rest of the team. She had assured Sera that her voice couldn't affect any supernaturals but they'd seen what she could do with mortals and most of the team was...hesitant to be within earshot of her voice when she was singing.

And Sera knew that, even as she spoke, "No, you need that. What I'm saying is in order to keep you safe and therefor my team safe, I don't want you wandering off alone at night. You will bring someone."

"But..."

"Don't argue, that wasn't a request. Talk to the men, I'm sure one of them will agree," she was actually positive they'd all decline but maybe one of them would surprise her, "Drea, thank you for pulling her out of there."

Elaya was just returning, speaking to an annoyed siren before looking at Sera, who looked rather tired, "Tatia has her orders. We will be up at dawn to head out, so everyone get some sleep."

Stepping over to the werewolf she nodded to the far side of the grotto, trying to let her sour mood go, "Wanna do like your pack and curl up together to sleep? I'll keep you warm with my heat if you keep me comfy with luscious fur."

Elaya smirked and nodded, then shifted into her were form. In this form she was the largest member of the group, standing near ten feet from tail to snout, and she could get bigger.

Drea nudged Tatia. "I can go with you if you want. Sera is just upset you almost got hurt."

Elaya smiled and gently pressed her taloned paw to Sera's back leading her to the area Sera had indicated. She then circled three times and lay down, then opened herself for Sera to snuggle in.

The others noted the two so close together but for now it meant little. They had all just been woken up and were tired out.

Elaya smiled up at her boss, her eyes purple and inviting.

3abc2b74a46ab26f8a961054ce562ab6.jpg

Tatia remained tight lipped through the lecture, knowing invoking Sera's anger was never wise. As their leader's attention moved elsewhere she turned to listen to Elaya and then Duldrea, however her eyes strayed over to Rey.

"Uh yeah," she replied, watching the vampire for a few more seconds before turning back to Drea, "I'm sure no one else wants to, so it be nice if you could."

Seraphina grinned at Elaya, watching her transform and move away before turning towards the group, eyeing them. She spotted Amitiel and waved him over, asking him to take second shift for the night, so that Gerry could rest before the long day ahead of them. Then she nimbly stepped over to the inviting wolf, curling up at her side so the her head rested on Elaya's back and her back was curled into Elaya's side. She pulled Elaya's tail over her legs, like a blanket and sighed in content, enjoying the soft fur around her that was warm and comfortable. Her own heat warmed Elaya, making their tiny personal bubble overly hot.

"Perfect," Sera smiled, eyes closing as she drifted off to sleep.

Rey watched Tatia, giving away nothing. He had no deigns or true interest in Tatia, but he sensed the hurt he gave her by not volunteering, and though he might be many things, cruel was not among them, at least not to his friends.

He gestured for Drea to speak with him as Amitiel flew up to join Gerry, who would just sleep on his tower, then the vampire spoke to a small wisp of water. "I cannot help tatia, but I will help Elaya do sweeps from now on. Give her this." He touched the ground, then drew his hand up, creating her favorite flower and slipping it into the water wisp.

Drea smiled then tucked the flower into Tatia's hair. "This is a gift from the boys."

Elaya curled tighter around Sera, flicking her tail to make it bush out even more, then drifted off to sleep quickly.

Tatia fingered the flower, smiling, "Boys?"

It hadn't gone unnoticed by her that Rey had looked over, but she didn't press the subject, giving it space. Hooking her arm through Drea's she pulled her back towards the water, knowing the deity should get some sleep, as should Tatia.

"Thank you!" she called over her shoulder with a sincere tone before lowering her voice, "Well I think that's enough drama for one night. Don't you think?"

Drea laughed and kissed the girl's cheek. "indeed. Now you behave and get some sleep." She winked and settled in, soon drifting off into the rest she considered sleep.

Rey did not look at the two, closing his eyes and letting the blood rush fade and take him into his own rest, saving away the energy until later.

Elaya huffed in her sleep and curled tighter around the Phoenix, her dreams growing odd and dark.

Tatia found a spot beside the water, not needing to sleep in it. Leaving the flower in her hair she got comfortable and fell asleep. Malakai, Lairia, and Narxis slipped back to their spots and resettled, the grotto becoming still once more.

When dawn came Seraphina woke, stretching out with a yawn. That has to be the best sleep I've had in weeks. Sera didn't want to disturb Elaya just yet so she shimmied out of her embrace and into the trees, hunting down breakfast. In an hour she returned with six rabbits and a pouch of berries, whistling loudly to wake the group.

"Rise and shine," she called, dropping the seared rabbits and berries on a stump, "Breakfast is here."

When Sera returned the others were just waking up, save for her wolf lover.

Elaya had stirred despite Sera's kindness, and smiled to herself as she waited until the Phoenix had left, then shifted into her full wolf form and left the grotto for her own meal. She craved the heat of life.

When she returned, she was utterly clean and her fur oddly slicked back, and her stomach bulging a bit, while the remains of the deer had killed hung over her shoulder. She tossed it over to Kai. "Enjoy that kiddo."

Gerry looked down and whistled. She laughed and took a large chunk over to Sera. "Would you be so kind as to cook this for our mortal?"

narxis grinned. "Or I could poke you again." Narxis was convinced he could somehow get Sera to explode with cooking level heat.

"You look like you ate well," Sera commented, searing the deer with little effort other than a smile at Elaya before her head rolled in Narxis direction, "Like I've said many times before, try me demon. We can see just how fast you heal from third degree burns then."

It wasn't a threat, more of a taunt, knowing when she first met many of them they feared touching her, worried they'd burn to a crisp. In truth she controlled her fire and her heat, so even in full flamed form she could wrap around them and not burn them if she so desired. Sera never told any of them -not even Elaya yet- simply because she saw no need to.

"Kai wake up!" she yelled over to the sluggish shape shifter who didn't want to rise from his sleep. Lairia was already serving herself, quietly fitting in with the group as to not cause any more scenes. Tatia as always was up and pouting, hating the early mornings. Her annoyance only lasted until she ate and perked up luckily. Sera noticed the flower in her hair but said nothing, wondering what it was about but knowing Tatia it could be a plenty number of things.

Narxis' finger was getting dangerously close to her arm, pushing his limits. But Sera only rolled her eyes and pursed her lips at him, "Go on, try me."

Elaya laughed and walked away ignoring the demon and his foolish attempt to test Sera. She jammed Gerry's rope arrow through the meat and stepped back, letting him haul it up and set to eating.

Drea had snagged a whole rabbit and slurped the meat right off it almost instantly. "Delicious."

Rey took the deer heart Elaya had saved him and sucked it dry in a moment.

Elaya settled in and swiped some tendon from Narxis' rabbit and set to chewing it watching Sera her eyes shining brightly, awaiting orders.

Seraphina hadn't eaten yet but she had grown accustomed to making sure her team ate first, then taking the left overs. She wasn't sure why, and sometimes she broke the rule and joined, but mornings like this one she just found a place to sit and watch the team slowly wake up, her mind elsewhere as she planned their trip across the continent. Narxis finally gave up teasing her and instead went for more food, standing up and playfully messing with her wild red locks as he did. She heard him yelp, raising an eyebrow at him as the skin on his palm peeling away instantly from the burn.

"Told you," she grinned, white teeth flashing, "Hope it heals."

Meanwhile Kai and Lairia were engaged in a conversation over fighting techniques, and Tatia had decided to strike up a conversation with Amitiel, even though she could easily get under his skin. Sera watched and waited, her eyes eventually landing on Sera who she caught staring and gave her a dazzling smile then returned to her inner thoughts.

Elaya winked at Sera, then turned to watch Kai get his ass kicked.

He had many skills but Elaya considered him the worst fighter in the group. The best pure fighter was tie between herself and Amitiel, closely followed by Gerry. Sera had the power, matched only by Drea, but take away their magics and they wouldn't do as well, or at least Drea wouldn't. Amitiel had been trained for battle by his parents, both of whom were exceptional warriors, especially his mother the warrior angel.

She did not that the angel carefully folded his hands well away from his weapons as Tatia began to tease and pick on him, and laughed. Gerry slid down his rope with his gear all packed and sat beside the wolf and nudged her. "So you and the boss huh?" He spoke very softly, but also made no attempt to hide it.

Elaya smiled, bit her lip then glanced over at Sera. "I hope so. She snuggled with me last night. It's a good start right?"

Gerry shrugged. "How would I know? I haven't been laid since Oiltown."

She laughed and nudged him back. "You'll find your girl."

"Could steal yours." He grinned. Maybe not even Sera could get away with that kind of joke, but Gerry and the wolf knew each other of old.

She rolled her eyes. "I doubt it big boy."

"So she's a dyke too?"

She swatted him a good one and he held up his hands, then rubbed the back of his head. "kidding. Couldn't resist though. Remember that guy...what was his name? Back in Jbad?"

She squinted then grinned. "Oh yeah. Martin. Moron."

"Well to be fair you slept with him then his wife."

"Only so you could break into the safe. And i need to get his nasty taste out of my mouth."

He laughed nodding as he drew out a cigar and lit it, puffing happily. "Thanks for the venison." He called out to Sera. "And boss thanks for cooking." He took another puff studying the horizon.

Elaya chuckled and shook her head. "Why do you still smoke those?"

"hey i cut out cigarettes didn't I?"

"Only because Tatia beat you in that run out up the hill last year."

He grunted and took another puff. "I'm the only here guaranteed not to live longer than I should. What's the difference? i enjoy it, it helps food go down better, and these don't hurt my lungs. I beat Kai in a footrace two weeks ago."

She rolled her eyes. "Big whoop. Go beat Sera when she burns and we'll talk about speed."

He nodded and removed the cigar to let out a long stream of smoke. "I'm happy for you furface. Truly. She's a good woman."

Elaya smiled again. "Thanks G. Maybe you can find your's on this trip? I wouldn't go near the sorceress though. I don't think she likes mortals."

Gerry snorted then took another puff, then removed the cigar and pointed with it while he let the smoke out as he talked. "I'm not sure where the boss has us headed but I think we should skirt north. i can see some clouds forming along the south, and I heard some distant rumbles last night on my scanners."

She nodded again, shifting her legs to reverse her lotus position so the other leg was on top now. "Do me a favor G?"

"Anything furface you know that."

"Stay close to Tatia today. I have ...that feeling. We may need her to sing. Wear your headphones if you have to but stick close. She may need cover."

"Smell someone?"

"No. And that's what troubles me. I can smell all of you, and i can smell the brother of the beast we killed last night down the hill two miles. Some of the guys from yesterday are three miles south of us, heading for Oiltown. Another group is passing us on the north, twelve miles up, four stragglers along the northwest, but directly west nothing. Not even game. Someone is blocking scents. That's either hella magic, or some new tech I've never heard of. I can't even smell a storm or anything. Something is up there."

He nodded and drew out a headband with a ring of plastic on it, and attached a pair of sound blocking headphones to it, then put it on. With a clenching of the right muscles the headphones lowered into place, the rose back up.

Elaya suddenly realized something and flicked an acorn at Tatia, nailing her in the left shoulder hard enough to smart but not really hurt. "Did you thank our long sighted riflemen for his excellent shooting last night?"

Gerry started to argue but Elaya cut him off.

Drea smiled and nodded at Tatia. "Yes did you?"

Narxis even stopped bugging Sera at this. "Yes miss singy song. Did you?"

Amitiel, giving away no sign of his feelings, spoke softly. "it would be most prudent and polite to express your gratitude Tatiana." ELaya smirked, noting that the angel had scored a point on the siren rather deftly.

Tatia paled, knowing she made that misstep and now all eyes were on her. For a second it looked like she was going to become embarrassed - a rare sight to see with the siren - but then she jumped up and strolled over to Gerry, sweeping her arms around his neck in a gentle but slightly invasive way. The team had grown accustomed to Tatia's lack of personal space, although that was not to say it didn't upset some still.

"Thank you," she kissed his cheek and lowered her voice, "Keep what you saw to yourself."

It wasn't a threat, but her cherry tone had dropped making it obvious she'd be none to happy if he did talk. Tatia kept her water form secret for good reasons, and the only person she completely trusted on the team was Drea. Not that she didn't have faith in the others in battle or on a mission, but it didn't go unnoticed how the men and Elaya acted around her. Always on the edge of caution, like she'd burst one day and ensnare them all with her voice. It was impossible and she had told them a million times but nevertheless that nervousness still clung to each of them, save maybe Narxis. For that reason she kept her personal life and work life separate.

"And it's Tatia," she wrinkled her nose at Amitiel, the easy-going tone back in her voice as she walked away from Gerry, "Get my name right Amitiel, or I'll start calling you Ami."

Marlon-Teixeira-Osmoze-Winter-2015-15-620x848.jpg

There conversation had turned into practice, Kai baiting the sorceress to see what kind of fighter she was. After a few minutes it was easy to see she relied on her spells, however in close range she was handy with a knife. Kai couldn't judge her, knowing he relied on his abilities to fight too. Weapons felt like cheating in his hands when he could just as well turn into a large panther and maul a man to death.

Lairia swung and caught his arm, knocking him to the ground as the air whooshed out of his lungs.

"I'd have thought you'd be a better fighter than me," she snorted, slightly disappointed.

"I don't fight hand to hand," Kai wheezed, trying to suck in some air, "I fight with tooth and claw."

She nodded, holding out a hand to let him up, "Well I will not fight you with my powers, for fear of hurting you. Spells cannot be made harmless, or diluted. We will have to wait till we are in battle."

"Battle? You make it sound like we are going to war."

Lairia shrugged, but there was a glint in her eye only Kai noticed, something that made his stomach churn like she was foretelling their future. If there was indeed a battle approaching that she knew of, it would be centered around the box she had hidden. It was the only logical explanation.

Sera drew further into herself as the conversations continued. Narxis brought her breakfast before wandering off once more and she ate alone, her eyes sweeping the grotto every few minutes. Eventually they landed back on Elaya, watching her talk to Gerry, the ease of their conversation. The two were close, Sera knew that, but she never saw either of them with their guards down around the others like they were with each other. Many a time Sera envied that, and she knew a few of the others did too. There was no easy way to make friends when you were a mercenary, and it could be lonely without one.

When Sera looked around at the team she realized just how little they knew of each other. With perhaps the exception of Amitiel and Narxis, who had been the oldest team members and the most open, many of the group members kept their histories to themselves. Sera had found Tatia in a coastal city, making coin in a inn. Kai was their newest recruit and he'd been a travelling mercenary when they met on the road. She wasn't sure what either of them did before, only knowing that for Tatia this life was better than the one Sera had found her in. And as for Elaya and Gerry, they were long time team members before even Sera had joined. She knew they had joined together, but as for their history both kept it to themselves. And Drea and Rey...well they had come slightly after Sera joined but if they ever shared their stories Sera couldn't remember them. She knew Drea had been specifically had picked by her predecessor, Frenard, for her special abilities. As had Sera, for hers. He'd always hand picked his team, and when Sera took over after his death the only member she had chosen so far was Kai.

The breeze picked up and Sera snapped from her thoughts looking to the sky.

"We head out in ten," she called, biting into her food, pushing her thoughts away for another time.

Gerry gripped Tatia's wrist as she tried to move away, Amitiel still startled by her ploy, startling himself and Elaya. He puled the siren back and spoke softly. "I didn't see anything about you specifically. Just your presence, then the beast."

His grip was soft, but his rough palms and his powerful chest and arms made their own point. He said nothing gazing into her eyes, reminding her that he didn't fear her, he just didn't trust her power.

Elaya gently pulled his arm away, nodding as Sera gave her orders. "Tatia maybe we don't threaten people who saved our lives?" Her eyes flicked over Gerry who growled softly, "And maybe we don't give orders without the right."

Elaya stood and lead Tatia away from the sniper. "Give him a break Tatia. Gerry doesn't talk. To anyone. Well me and I already know. Let it go alright?"

Elaya knew that Gerry would and could kill the siren before Tatia managed to sing a note, but also he would be grump for the rest of the week, especially as he would still be guarding the woman. Gerry didn't like ingratitude, but even vague threats infuriated him, and Tatia had a bad habit of rubbing everyone the wrong way.

Elaya nudged the siren. "Go get your things. Like the boss said, moving out in ten." She then returned to Gerry and punched him in the shoulder, hard. "The hell was that?"

Gerry grunted. "She threatened me."

"No she didn't."

"Yes she did."

"Ok she kinda did. But she was scared. You didn't have to be so mean to her."

"Yes I did. She always wanted to toy with someone. Bout time she realized that at least I'm not a toy." He went to get his stuff and check the area and Elaya blinked, realizing that he had a point. Tatia did like the game a little too much, and playing it with these men was more dangerous than she seemed to grasp.

Amitiel had recovered himself by the time Laria knocked Kai down, and now he spoke. "Your guard is too open and you, telegraphed your movements."

Before Kai could reply with some witty remark, Amitiel spun and pressed the tip of one sheathed blade to Kai's throat, the other slipping under Laria's guard across her throat and chest. "Both of you. Tighten it up."

Narxis paused at Sera's order and whispered. "Trouble brewing boss. Wanna go with protections?"

He flicked his finger against his armor, making an odd spooky ringing.

Elaya moved to Sera as she considered this question and spoke. "Gerry says we should head northwest, then skirt west along that ridge there." She pointed over her shoulder with her thumb. "I smell big trouble straight west too. i think he's right. What's the plan boss?"

Tatia pulled her arm hard from him until he finally let go, her lips set in a thin line which was the only inclination she was unhappy. Otherwise she kept her mouth shut, until Elaya pulled her away and spoke up.

"I wasn't threatening," she argued, "And you shouldn't be eavesdropping."

She shrugged and rolled her eyes, and was about to let the situation die until Elaya said something that nagged at her, "What do you mean you know?"

But Elaya was already turning back to Gerry, and Tatia had no "things" to pack. All she had was her armor that she wore. She hastened after the wolf, who was already approaching Sera and as their leader agreed to head northwest Tatia cut Elaya off, looking none to pleased.

"What do you mean you know?" she asked again, looking irritated which was a rare emotion for her indeed.

Tatia didn't want them to know. Any of them.

4a7a9c746ab9bc4ad7b102894b5709ba.jpg

Lairia pushed the blade away from her with a finger, raising an eyebrow at Amitiel, "I rarely use weapons. We were simply warming up. But thank you."

She turned away, her eyes perking at the sound of an argument brewing. The short brunette who had caused quite a fuss the night before seemed upset over something now, getting into the faces of both the marksman and the werewolf. Lairia stepped forward, noticing Kai and Amitiel in turn stepping back, as if they knew better than to get involved in this fight. She quickly glanced at Narxis, who was speaking about protection before Sera's attention turned towards Tatia.

"I can cast wards," Lairia spoke up to Narxis, "If you feel more comfortable using your own, be my guest, but I can provide protections spells as well."

Seraphina held up a hand to pause Narxis as she stepped around him towards Tatia, concerned. The siren was usually the epitome of bubbly and joyful and her tone sounded upset and angry, covering a deeper layer of frightened that Sera could see in her eyes. Something was bothering her.

"What's going on?" Sera asked, looking between Elaya, Gerry, and Tatia.

Elaya hissed as Tatia grabbed her, and an electric shock knocked the siren's hand away, and Elaya whirled to face her, crouching slightly, her skin flushing.

"I was standing right next to him. And I'm Metuzi Tatia. I know more about the supernatural beings of this world than anyone else here. I was bred and born to kill them. Now get away from me."

She snarled, then transformed backing away, her fur raised as she growled, warning the siren to get away.

Reynault stepped between the two and turned to face Tatia. "Well my dear that certainly is a lovely flower. What kind is it?"

Narxis shook his head at the sorceress, trying to remain professional in the sight of the group losing their minds apparently. "No thank you. Mortal wards don't work on me. My infernal nature."

Amitiel fastened on his swords, and his armor, praying he wouldn't have to fight Elaya. he had no doubt that the wolf could rip the siren apart in moments, and if that happened, Gerry would back her up, and mortal or not he was not to be ignored. He was grateful Reynault had stepped in, with a rather stupid question, but it was clear something had to break the tension.

Elaya continued to growl, feeling even more on edge, then suddenly turned and leapt over the cliffside.

Drea screamed. "ELAYA!!!" And rushed over to watch, sighing in relief as the wolf shifted into were-form as she fell, then bounded from boulder top to boulder top until she reached the bottom.

Gerry stepped over to Sera, not looking at Tatia at all, and pressed his headset to Sera' ear. Elaya's voice came through. "Boss we have a discord spell right under our mountain here...someone is playing games with us....and tell Tatia I'm sorry." Her voice sounded scared. She had been ready to kill Tatia. Over nothing!

"Is that a threat?" Tatia snapped, finally losing her temper, "Prying into my life Elaya. I know you don't trust me. None of you do. So what, going to kill me because I touched your man?"

She was spouting nonsense, but Tatia could only see red, pushed too far by Elaya. Even Rey trying to distract her didn't work. The only thing it did was remind the siren that she had an audience and her eyes swept around as a flush rose on her cheeks and Elaya raced off the cliff side. Everyone's attentions turned to that odd action, hearing Drea scream after the wolf before sighing in relief that she wasn't falling to her death. Tatia took the momentary distraction to turn and race off before even Gerry could notice, frustrated at the group and herself.

The only person who had noticed was Lairia, who turned to Kai and whispered she'd be right back before briskly walking after Tatia. She found the siren easily, only a few yards into the forest, pacing back and forth as she swore under her breath.

"What was that all about?" the sorceress asked, not expecting any real answer, but making her presence known.

Tatia's head shot up, but there was no more anger in her face, just an expression of exhaustion, like she'd been holding this back for quite some time.

"Recommendation: don't get involved in our antics. You only have a few weeks with us then your free, I suggest keeping to yourself."

"There seems to be a bit of trust issues with your group. Is it because of how large it is?" Lairia asked, ignoring Tatia's warning, "I expected hesitance towards me, but I am surprised to see you fighting amongst yourself."

"Well get used to it."

Lairia sat down on a log, looking back towards the grotto between the trees, "Some of you seem to trust each other more than others. But I'm noticing a distinct line between you and the rest."

Tatia sighed, sitting beside the sorceress, "Your smart and pretty. Wonderful. I'm a siren, yes? I use my voice to manipulate mortals. Somehow that's seen by the group as a threat to them. I mean I understand Gerry's concern, but..."

She sighed and shook her head, "Nevermind. Kai and I are the newest to the team, and everyone else has had years to grow comfortable with each other. We stick out, and it still comes with a lot of tension."

"Lairia? Tatia?" Sera's voice echoed into the woods, "Kai where did they get off to?"

"We are being summoned," Lairia exclaimed, getting up and dusting off her robes, "If you wish you can walk with me and Kai. The shape shifter is flirtatious but otherwise harmless it seems."

"That sums him up in a nutshell," Tatia laughed, the annoyance fading quickly as she followed Lairia's lead. They returned to the grotto, all eyes on them now as Sera crossed her arms.

"Are we done everyone?" she asked, looking unimpressed, "Can we please head out?"

The group started to move and Sera tried to convey Elaya's message but Tatia slipped past her, avoiding any conversation with the leader. There was no point badgering her, although it meant tensions would remain high between the siren and the werewolf until fixed, but they had more pressing issues.

"Sorry Rey," Tatia whispered as she passed him to get to Lairia and Kai, "And it's a lotus. My favorite. Thank you."

"Let's get out of here and down to Elaya," Sera ordered, "Before something else comes up."

Gerry lead them down a safer route through the backside of the hill, which was dangerous but they needed to get away now.

Amitiel and Narxis stayed up top and lowered the ropes, letting those who needed them down, smirking as Drea just became a wave and washed down, then the two winged their way down to join the others.

Where they were met with the remains of a rather large, well armed ambush party.

Elaya was sitting amongst the dead going through their pockets when everyone arrived. She tossed the heads toward Reynault, who recognized the girl from last night, and several of the mercs they hadn't killed. Elaya then looked at Laria. "Still got your cargo? They said there were hired by a wizard who would steal it no matter what you did with it."

She dumped out the contents of the jacket, then tossed it onto the pile. "Alright boss. I have three brand new gold coins for each of them. Call it about 150 per. As you can see there were at least two for each of us. Someone is serious about getting hold of that box."

Reynault nodded, then looked at Elaya. "How did you kill so many by yourself?"

She smiled and stood. "They were well armed. Doesn't mean they were any good Rey."

She looked toward Sera for her opinion and orders.

Seraphina decided to take the ropes over becoming flame, knowing she'd loose her clothes in the process if she did. Aside from most of the group she held no wards or magical jewellry, enjoying to stay as bare as possible other than her small dress and boots. When she landed Elaya was filtering through pockets while Tatia and Kai stood near Drea, watching silently. Lairia was behind Sera and landed last, looking around sadly.

"We are bound to run into more rival groups on the way, this is by no means the last of them. Good work Elaya. Round up what you can guys and lets move, before someone scouts the area and tracks us."

4a7a9c746ab9bc4ad7b102894b5709ba.jpg

"My box is protected," Lairia replied to Elaya after Sera was finished, her voice revealing no emotion, "Thank you for taking care of all this Elaya. Did you see the sorcerer too?"

She wasn't at all surprised that someone would organize a group after her, and for that matter she expected more. Not only would casters be after her, but anyone with an idea of what was inside the box. It was why she needed a large group to guard her, and why it was so important to get across the continent, where she could safely store it with the only person she could trust with the power she was responsible for at this moment.

"Nope. He or she left this morning just before dawn. Headed west."

Elaya stood and rejoined the group, while Gerry, moved to take position behind Drea and Tatia, and Narxis and Amitiel stood back to back and cast their own flames, divine and infernal, which swallowed up the souls and bodies of the dead and took them where they belonged, until not a trace of them or the magic remained.

Elaya caught up with Sera and spoke softly. "It's a high class magic user Boss. Very clever very skilled. Are we certain it wasn't our client?"

Elaya made sure Laria was far enough way not to hear it, and that Reynault was talking loudly in laria's ear when she asked Sera this.

Sera turned to Elaya, "Why would it be? There is no reason for her to construct a second party."

Meanwhile Lairia was getting her ear talked off by Rey. She simply stood and watched the angel and demons process, nodding to the vampires words but saying little. She had expected this, to be tracked and hunted, but she hadn't expected someone to raise a raiding party this soon.

"We should move," she spoke up, looking towards Sera, "every daylight hour we spend waiting is another hour he has to regain forces. I have many enemies in the castor world right now, and none of them are to be trifled with."

"We will proceed," Sera nodded, "Narxis and Rey you'll take point. Gerry flank us so I can send Elaya as a scout when I need to. Kai fly above us, call down if you see anything."

"Will do," Kai nodded, his form bursting into shadows only to reform as a hawk as soar away. Tatia packed up his clothes in a bundle and slung it over her shoulder, still unusually quiet.

"Everyone else keep with the group, we don't need stragglers today until we know we are in the clear. Gerry suggested we travel northwest, so we will do that. Let's move out."

As everyone started walking Lairia caught up to Tatia, lightly tapping her shoulder, "you okay now?"

Tatia nodded although her expression seemed clouded, like something continued to bother her. The sorceress didn't know her enough to pry so she let it be, walking silently beside her. Behind them Elaya and Sera walked several places back, talking in hushed tones.

"Has she given you reason to be suspicious?" Sera asked in a low whisper, her head inches from Elaya's, her nostrils filled with the werewolf's intoxicating scent making her cheeks flush.

Elaya shrugged. "She's a magic user boss." She noted the blush and smiled, and took the chance to pressed her cheek to Sera's and whisper. "you smell so amazing." She held the contact for a long while her eyes half closed, then spoke again. "And no she hasn't done anything overt I call suspicious, but I don't think trusting her is a wise move. She could be using us in a dozen different ways at the same times."

She drew away, taking the chance to press a kiss to Sera's neck, then moved away as Drea walked up to Sera and nodded toward Tatia. "I think we need to talk to her Seraphina. She is most upset. And there is no water to the west. That place Elaya smells trouble. Someone is brewing up serious magics."

Amitiel had chosen to remained winged and flew high above them all, watching everything except his group. he too sensed, and from this height, saw trouble, and was worried how they should meet it."

Reynault and Narxis were chatting and were trading weapons and discussing their virtues and problems. Narxis did have one exceptionally strange aspect that he refused to explain. He carried no pack, but he had an arsenal of weapons, a massive wardrobe of clothing and gear, and he retrieved it all by reaching into his pocket.

Elaya had gotten him to admit that he was reaching into his home in the infernal realms to collect these things, but he could not store living beings, food, water, or anything inherently magical there. Despite that it was handy, and Renayult had taken his offer of storing the vampire's weapons and armor there. Amitiel had a somewhat similar arrangement, though his arsenal was not as expansive, and he claimed he could not access it in the presence of the others, nor store their items there.

Now Reynault had drawn on his combat armor, which looked like his normal clothing, yet it was bullet and stab proof, and entirely immune to magics. Of course it wouldn't stop natural fire, him from drowning, or being crushed by the earth, but it suited him. He was also playing with a pair of combat axes, short limbed things that resembled trench axes, but were lighter, and slimmed down so they could be thrown as well as used as a close quarter weapon.

Narix had his swords of course, but was also fiddling with a ridiculously massive and heavy bludgeon weapon he called 'The Devastator", and Elaya said was just a monster version of a kanabo. It was far taller then the demon, with a three foot handle, followed by a five foot head which was covered with metal studs and belled out from the handle to the top of the piece, the bell at least as thick and wide as Narxis' chest. it was a ridiculous thing in that it was so heavy it took two hands to swing, but Narxis had used it to crush a werebear into a puddle of gore. Narxis loved to swing it about when trying to impress or scare people, and no one could deny it was a frightening weapon.

Elaya smiled watching him, then noted Tatia's sulleness. She sighed. That girl needed to learn some things about reality before her ignorance got her and everyone else killed.

Never tell another being Tatiana who you truly are. Even your closest friends can turn on you if they knew.

It had been the last words her uncle had parted with her, before leaving her in that city. Alone. She had been ten then, left to grow in an orphanage, pretending to be human to protect herself. She hadn't seen her uncle in forty years. Even though she appeared to look in her early twenties the siren was actually fifty, as sirens aged immensely slow and could live hundreds of years before passing away. In those last twenty years she'd lived on land she had never forgotten those words, living by them to protect herself.

And now there were three team members who knew about her tail and all Tatia could think about was which one would turn on her first. Duldrea had known for months, but Tatia had been careful to hide her tail so while she knew it existed she had never seen it and never spoke of it, gaining Tatias full trust. But if Elaya truly knew everything about sirens and Gerry had told her what he saw, she could be the worst threat. And so could he. I hate thinking like this, Tatia thought to herself, her head lowering as she followed along with the group silently, they are suppose to be my team. My friends. Would they really do that to me?

But the truth was she couldn't be sure. In her teenage years she had had a best friend who she shared everything with. And when she finally shared her biggest secret everything changed. At first nothing seemed wrong...but months later she was attacked in her former best friend, who was spouting nonsense about unlimited gold and how she could move out of the orphanage. She had chosen treasure over Tatias life. What would stop Elaya or Gerry from doing the same.

Her thoughts were broken by Lairias words and she brought her attention back to the group. There was nothing she could do now, but remain aware of Elayas and Gerrys movements. If they wanted to kill her, she'd be ready.

Sera watched the men gear up, having no gear of her own. She didn't even carry a bag. The only item she needed was her money pouch and she had entrusted Elaya with that long ago, knowing she could trust the werewolf with her life. Out of everyone Elaya was the most loyal and she always had been.

"What happened anyways?" Sera asked as Duldrea approached and spoke, "I've never seen her get so upset. Like we are talking about Tatia right? Our super bubbly, always happy siren. I've never seen her remain upset for more than a handful of minutes."

Sera watched Tatia walking up ahead, already dressed in her black dyed armour, ready for action. The siren wasn't part of the team for her close or long ranged fighting skills. She was an asset for her skills in espionage, and her particular talents. If a fight broke out on the road, Tatia usually fell behind to the back of the group, and Sera hoped she'd take the sorceress with her. While there was a certain level of trust Sera had to give to her clients, Elaya was right. They knew nothing about Lairia or her box and until they knew what was really happening they needed to proceed with a shred of caution.

"This was no my argument," Sera stated, "this is between Elaya, Gerry, and Tatia. You may speak to her if you wish Drea but I'd rather let the three of them sort it out as they please. I'll only step in if a fight breaks out."

Looking to the sky she saw Amitiel and Kai, the shifter flying behind him and further below to get a closer view. She signalled at them both to warn her of any approaching threats, knowing the waste lands were harsh and they were walking straight into trouble.

Both fliers nodded and signaled their understanding.

The others were still chatting setting an easy pace, when Gerry suddenly grabbed Tatia and hurled her to the ground as he dove with her drawing a massive pistol and firing it, while Drea swept Sera's feet from under her and crouched, and a fearsome beast's roar erupted behind them.

Elaya bounded all four of them as Narxis and Rey turned trying to see who or what Gerry continued to fire at.

Elaya vanished into the brush, and a series of screams rang out, then she dragged a bleeding woman out, her fur suspiciously drenched in blood. She flung the woman at Sera's feet, then went over to Gerry and Tatia, sniffing the siren.

Gerry raised his head and examined the siren then nodded. "Didn't hit her. But that was close. Sera! Well armed assassins. Silencers, masked actions, and padded mags. They are playing to kill."

Before Tatia could ask what they were talking about Rey and Naris drew out the weapons, and Elaya sniffed a large bullet hole in a boulder that Tatia had been standing in front of, at least to the nest of snipers.

Gerry checked her head for any wounds, then stood and helped her up. "Sorry about that. She isn't hurt Sera."

Elaya nodded and transformed back signaling up to the fliers who resumed their circling. "Gerry was it the scent or the movement?"

"Movement. The shooter was too close to his cover. Made it blow out when he moved or breathed or something."

The sniper at Sera's feet, clutched by a very angry Drea at the throat, gasped and gagged, clawing at the merciless hand. Elaya looked over then at Sera, waiting for the Phoenix' decision, but she would be glad to see the would be murderer dead. Despite their argument she liked Tatia and trying to kill her friend upset her, and made it all to clear someone knew about the group.

She and Gerry shared a glance and he nodded, staying close to Tatia.

Back
Top Bottom