Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Colliding Worlds (BurningWillows & Greeneyed23)

Tatia looked outside, catching her moon's eye and waving him to come in, "Please do not be lying to me Gerry. I need a friend here."

As they came inside and sat down she pushed the platters towards them, letting them eat. Then she turned back to Gerry, "I'm sorry for worrying them but I needed to leave, you must understand that. I'm still not sure if I'm safer coming back or hiding, but I'm going to trust you Gerry. I value our friendship."

He smiled nodding. "Have I ever lied to you?"

He leaned back after eating and studied her face. "Thank you. Means a lot to me. When will you be ready to go? We need to be fast so I'll signal Amitiel when you are ready. And we'll head back. We don't want to go the long way. Trust me truly on that."

Sun and Moon whispered to their Tatia. "Amitiel is making himself plainly visible, but there is no sign of any of the others. but there are abundant signs of merfolken and their agents. We should go soon dearest."

Gerry had carefully not listened.

Tatia shook her head, "No, I'm not riding on Amitiel. I meant what I said Gerry. Only you. If he comes in the town, I'm gone. I'm tired of all of you ignoring me, or thinking me childish, or not heeding my words. I'm done with that. There is a stable in this town, we can ride back. It can be just as fast if we take the roads."

She waved the waitress over, paying in her own coin, "If any of you object than feel free to go with the angel. I'm taking a horse."

She stood, and looked at the three of them, knowing her Rythert would not dare leave her side and it made her feel better. But she wondered what Gerry would choose.

Gerry reached down and drew out a bag from a pocket

The Rythert recoiled upon seeing it. It was a blood soaked bag. Gerry opened it and let it fall. Within were scales. merscales. They were too large and too varied to be siren scales. And they smelled horrible. there were dozens of them. Each bloodily cut free of the bodies. The pile soon covered the area of the table before him

Gerry spoke very quietly. "And those are only from those i killed in the forest. Amitiel can fly us back in less than hour. Even on horseback we can't beat that. Your enemies are everywhere Tatia."

He drew out another bag, which started small then swelled as he opened it. Within were ears, tongues, and other grisly signs of mutilation. The Ryther recoiled, but he was utterly calm. "There are the marks of thirty two men and women here. Just what i had to kill to get here from the forest. Tatia i understand your rage, i truly do. But I had no choice. I would not have survived without Amitiel's warnings. We won't survive bending to your will now."

The Rythert moved closed and squeezed her. "Tatia please let us fly with the angel. Gerry is not lying to you. We can smell the freshness of the blood...and they have compatriots here."

They glanced around at numerous unfriendly faces. Weapons were being drawn. Gerry looked at Tatia calmly, waiting for her decision.

Tatia too recoiled looking at those things as she snapped, "Gerry really?! On the table."

She didn't dare touch them though, instead she heard his words and turned on her heel and stalked out. They were doing it again. Controlling her. She crossed her arms over her chest as she stalked towards the stables, knowing they would not be far behind. When she could hear their footsteps she spoke.

"You act like this is new for me. I've been running my whole life. And I've been well hidden, hell none of you even knew. The only reason they found me was Rythert. But after awhile they'll even loose that trail. So stop talking to me like I'm some helpless lass who can't pull a weapon and doesn't know her own enemy."

She turned around, her face angry and yet somehow also calm. Too calm. She looked to Rythert first, shaking her head, "I thought you were on my side here, but all you want me to do is hide behind their skirts and be bossed around. You'd rather my protection over my sanity. And you...you promised you'd come alone and yet you still brought Amitiel. Deal's off. I'm leaving."

Whipping back she kept going, daring them to say something that might fix the annoyance she felt for being so foolish in thinking they could all change.

The earth exploded in light as Amitiel landed before her cutting her off. He was fully glorified, his body bright and masked in his full armor. He saluted Gerry who closed his eyes. Amitiel would not be here without great cause.

Amitiel turned to Tatia. "Tatia there is little time but do you know of the Leviathanical Currents?"

The Rythert had been very hurt by Tatia's words, but now they rushed her, wrapping about her protectively, but looking out not at her or the Angel before them.

His wings filled the whole passage and encircled them. Gerry meanwhile was checking his weapons.

Amitiel sighed. "I will make a new deal with you Tatia. Fly back to Elaya with us now. Then if you want to go i will summon messenger angels to take you anywhere you wish, with orders never to tell me or anyone else. You can and will be left alone. Even away from your new friends there. But the LC are the most enraged of your enemies. And they are here."

The LC were the equivalent of the shock troops of the merfolken. The anti-siren cult that had sprung up after Tatia had been forced from the sea. They had hunted down and murdered dozens of sirens of non royal lineage, and torture those that were for years. tatia would be their ultimate prize.

Amitiel held out his hand. "Tatia I pledge by the name of the Most High Himself I will only take you to safety, then i will not prevent any decision you make. And i will see to it no one else does either." It was his most solemn vow. Unbreakable. if he did he would die instantly for lying in the name of God. But he had said it. And he clearly meant it.

Tatia gave in, taking his hand, "fine. Fine. I give up."

She was still upset. Upset Gerry hadn't truly come alone, upset she was being chased. Upset that she felt she had no control over her life.

"On one more condition," she added, looking back at Gerry, "No is it to call me Grace, or majesty, or any other bullshit royalty name. I am Tatia. Just Tatia."

She looked to Rythert, her eyes softening, "I know you came for me because I am royalty. But I never wanted that life. I want to be with you as just me, not with my titles or history."

Gerry started to nod then screamed. "MOVE MOVE MOVE!!"

The Rythert tightened their grip on Tatia and clutched tighter to the Angel.

Amitiel started to reach for Gerry but the warrior snarled. "Get her out of her."

"But-"

"NOW!!"

Amitiel took off.

People talk of speed. Of the days when mankind had flying machines that surpassed the speed of sound. But Angels have speeds that humanity has only ever dreamed of.

With one great thrust of his mighty wings Amitiel and his passengers were off into the skies and simply by flaring them once he began to streak toward the farm.

Below Gerry had drawn out pistols and was firing into a crowd of attackers and running the opposite direction. The Ryther, despite themselves, called out to the Angel. "GO BACK!! HE"LL BE KILLED!!"

Amitiel shook his head. "No. Tatia is more important. And Gerry won't die...not without killing all of them first."

The spirits looked at each other, then at Tatia, unsure of what to do or say.

"GERRY NO!" Tatia yelled, reaching out for him as Amitiel pushed off, flying them higher and higher into the sky, "Go back! Amitiel GO BACK!"

The Rythert chimed in but Amitiel ignored their pleas, and his reply only infuriated Tatia more, "I am not! Amitiel go get him! He is my friend! He's my closest friend! Please! Please Amitiel, we have to go back!"

Tears were threatening to spill as she could see the farm already and she squirmed to try and look back at the town that was now too far to even see, angry the Amitiel just left him to die, "My life means nothing if those I care about die for it! You hear me angel! I'm worth no more than anyone else on this team! GO BACK!"

Gerry whistled shrilly. "I'M RIGHT HERE!!"

He was hanging on for death to the back of an actual unicorn. The horse creature was running even faster than Amitiel could fly, and along the tops of the trees.

The Rythert and Amitiel stared down at him. Amitiel spoke first. "how did you manage that!?!"

Gerry screamed. "I DON"T FUCKING KNOW!!"

Amitiel blinked then looked at the trio. "Unicorns only allow themselves to be ridden when the cause is righteous. I-"

A force struck the angel so hard that even his brilliance was broken and the world was darker. Tatia felt hands in her hair, ripping her from her Rythert and the lifeless but still clutching arms of the angel. Then a blade, dark as sin on one edge and bright as the sun on the other crashed down on Amitiel. His arms busy he could not block, but he did shield the two within his arms and the blow caught his face.

Gerry screamed again and wrenched the unicorn around toward the falling angel and the Rythert who were shrieking in terror and pain one word. "TATIA!!"

The creature holding her was no angel. No demon. Certainly not a man. It was a flying golem. A mixture of creatures and powers, including massive eagle wings. It had her by the throat, and with a hiss it hurled it's blade down after Amitiel.

Gerry roared. "ANGEL!!"

Amitiel had not moved since the first attack. He suddenly snapped his wings open and hurled the Rythert away, fortunately they weighed little and were able to fall onto Gerry, but all three witnessed the blade impale the angel through the chest. Amitiel screamed.

The sound shook the heavens and earth. His pain was obvious, but the blow couldn't have killed him.

Could it?

The beast holding the siren twisted his hand and the blade spun and twisted, then wrenched free returning to his hand, covered in golden blood.

Amitiel was still as death as he fell into and through the death plummeting to the earth like a comet.

The beast released a primal cry of victory, then flew off. Not toward Lodestone, or what they had been told was the direction of the Golden Hills Ranch. But they were quickly out of sight.

Gerry forced the unicorn down to the forest floor. He leapt off the creature and rushed to his friend, praying frantically. He crouched by the divine warrior and touched his chest. Amitiel did not breath. But his heart still beat. Gerry closed his eyes. "Praise God."

Amitiel whispered. "Amen...to...that. Get me to Narxis. He can help."

Gerry nodded and gestured for the Rythert. Together the three of them were able to drag the angel onto the unicorn's back. He was impossibly heavy, but the unicorn took no notice as they returned to the farm.

Upon arriving Elaya was first to reach them. She started to speak when she saw Amitiel. She then looked at the Rythert, but their tears told the story. Gerry spoke softly. "A golem took Tatia. it actually struck Amitiel and took her from his arms. Then used a blade of the infernal and divine to wound him."

Her eyes widened, then she snarled. "NARXIS!!"

She grabbed the angel and easily hefted him and ran toward the demon who took one look and retreated into the tack shed. She lay him down and Narxis nodded and began to work on his friend. She whispered a prayer as well then left.

The Rythert were still crying, but waving goodbye to the unicorn, Gerry thanking it for it's help. It never turned.

Elaya moved to the sobbing couple. "Rythert i need you to help get Tatia back."

They whirled. "Anything."

"Go to Lodestone. Speak to this Nickens. Tell him we will go. Tell him anything. But keep him busy so we can find her. Speak to Kai. He will help you."

They nodded and dove into the well.

She sighed and turned to Gerry. "So...now we are down even our angel. What do you think our chances are?"

Gerry began to walk toward the house. "Without Sera not good. But we should-" He smiled as the kids came running up from the barn with Rey to see him, their buddy, then his smile faded. He dove toward the kids screaming. "INCOMING!!"

The tack room exploded and both Narxis and Amitiel were screaming but unseen. Rey was pulling kids back when he stiffened and fell over striking his head against the porch.

Gerry scrambled into the kids and drew them close, hiding behind the stone of the well as he screamed. "ELAYA!!"

For the first time in their friendship, she did not answer. He couldn't move but he caught the reflection and knew why.

Elaya had been struck first. Impaled through the middle with a wooden stake several feet long. It could not kill her but the pain was unimaginable. Still, she had begun to shift and rip it free using her talons when she had been surrounded by foes with spears of flame. She knew the scent of that flame. She slashed at them but once before as one they pierced her with the spears. Her heart, her lungs, her throat, her skull, her legs, her arms. And each wound burned as they leapt away.

She stood somehow, shuddering in pain, even reaching for her killers, then screamed. If such a sound can only be called a scream. The world shook for a second time, and the rocks of the well cracked as she let loose her rage. And her fear. not of her killers. But of what truly mattered to her. "SERAPHINA!!!"

Then with a great twitch she felt and her blood came out in jetting sprays, every drop of it aflame as she writhed in agony.

Gerry held the kids down as bullets richoted off the well stones, the two parents of the children screamed from within the house. Gerry was alone and he couldn't act. Not now. If he drew fire the kids would be killed. He couldn't let that happen. But his best friend was screaming as she died out there. "Oh God. Help us!"

tumblr_milru4YF0S1qgzpb5o5_250.gif

Tatia's head whipped down so hard her neck hurt she broke into a smile, her breath coming out in a long sigh of relief.

"You're okay!" she exclaimed, "Thank god Gerry!"

Amitiel started to speak and suddenly chaos erupted. Tatia screamed as hands gripped her hair and wrenched, and she felt Amitiel's hands slip. She reached out, desperately holding to Rythert's outstretched fingers, clinging to thier fingertips as she tried to reach for them, but it was no use. The thing had her by the throat and it pulled her away as she screamed for them.

"RYTHERT! AMITIEL!" she yelled, watching as he was struck in the face. She tried to kick, tried to hit the being hold her but its grip tightened and she began to see stars. No, no she refused to let it do this.

"RYTHERT!" she shrieked again, watching them fall. Her hands stretched for them, seeing Gerry catch them and a fraction of relief hit her, but not enough. Amitiel, her friend, was still being attacked. Her eyes looked up in time to see the blade impale, sliding through him as she cried out again, "NO!"

Her elbow came up and caught his jaw, cracking it as she growled ferociously, enraged by this thing. Her eyes began to turn and something primal, something new snapped inside her, releasing it. But she would not be able to discover it. The golem turned and growled at her, squeezing her throat till she could no longer breath. Fear replaced anger and she gripped at his hands as they all watched, desperately trying to get air. She gagged and choked, but it did not loosen its grip. Darkness clouded her sight as it screamed and flew off, carrying her with it. She looked back, and the last thing she saw before unconsciousness clutched her was Amitiel, falling dead from the sky.

tumblr_n0g4w5nUmw1sxg2fgo1_500.gif

"REY!"

She woke with a start, jolting up. Looking around her she realized she was still in her room, having fainted on the floor. Rey...why had he woken her? Realization struck her and she jumped up. She had felt the fear, the pain emanating from outside. Something was wrong. Terribly wrong. Dizziness hit her as she got up but she ignored it. She had to help, she had to do something. Throwing her hand out in an arch at the door it clicked and flung open, letting her through.

"REY!" she yelled now, running down the hall. She could see the two men stuck inside, fearful for their children but trapped. Throwing her hands up the barriers she had created on the house reinforced, protecting them as she yelled, "I will get you your children!"

God, what was happening?

She ran outside, stopping short on the porch to see the mayhem outside, her mouth falling open. She spotted Rey and jumped to him first, bending over him, forgetting their was dried blood on her face from her nose bleeds.

"Rey...Rey wake up," she shook him awake, looking and spotting Gerry and the children. Her ears caught the sound of something whizzing close and she turned and spun, seeing a spear lit by some unearthly fire flying towards her. Without thinking her hands rose and the spear stopped in mid-air. Across the field a man stood, his face contorted in rage.

"You want a fight?!" she screamed at him, "HAVE ONE!"

The spear turned and raced back, flashing through the air as it hit the man. Looking at the other men she loud out a scream worthy of a war cry and they all were thrown back on their backs as an invisible force hit them hard. The spears within Elaya slowly pulled out and hovered in the air, aimed at the men. She turned back to Rey, ignoring her bleeding nose and picked him up, trying to drag him closer to the door and out of the way. The screams of the children caught her attention again and she growled seeing a man appearing from the trees, spells flying from his hands towards Gerry and the terrified children.

"I'm sorry love," she whispered, letting Rey down by the door, seeing he was waking, "Just don't move."

Turning she launched her own fireball spell with a simple thought in her mind, hitting his lightning strike aimed at them and devouring it. The mage turned and snarled at her and her eyes darkened as she laughed loudly, "That it?"

"You're dead girl!" one of the men who had been torturing Elaya laughed, and her head spun glaring at him. The spear hovering above him sliced down, spearing him in his stomach as the fire engulfed him and he screamed in agony, writhing on the ground. She turned back to the sorcerer with a snarl, smiling, "Oh let him try."

"Bring it bitch!" he snapped back, magic dancing on his fingers as he faced off with her. The children and Gerry were still trapped behind the well, between them, but she was doing this to protect them. Her eyes grew pure white as light magic danced on her own fingers and she raised them towards Gerry and the children. A purpilish bubble grew around them, encompassing them and protecting them from all harm, no bullet no spell able to pass it. Then her eyes flicked to the sorcerer and she threw the first punch, a dozen arrows made of pure energy forming and bolting through the air, striking him. Even as he was hit he threw his arms out and the ground around her shook and split, threaning to swallow her whole as pieces of the ground rose and struck her, cutting her skin and pommeling her body.

"You'll have to kill me!" she screamed, throwing her hands out and hitting him with a ball of light, knocking him off his feet as the rocks fell back. She took two steps forward and threw both her hands out, and a stream of light ignited from her, blasting him even harder, "DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA WHO I AM?!"

She took another step, throwing every spell she knew at him, blood pouring from her nose and ears. Fire erupted underneath him, then the ground shook and split, next came a thousand arrows, striking him and the ground around him as he fended them off, having to change to defensive magic at her onslaught. Vines grew and trapped him, holding him down as the fire grew, turning green with poison. Her eyes went from white to black as her spells grew darker. His blood turned to black tar, suffocating him, making every movement feel like torture.

"I AM LAIRIA DELEVINE! MY FATHER WAS THE HIGH WARLOCK GRENOK, THE DARK! MY MOTHER WAS SAEVANNAH DELEVINE ARCHMAGE OF THE CIRCLE AND THE SINGLE STRONGEST LIGHT SORCERESS OF HER GENERATION! AND YOU DARE PICK A FIGHT WITH ME? YOU DARE STEP INTO MY PRESENCE AND ATTACK INNOCENT CHILDREN! I. WILL. END. YOU!"

The man recoiled even though his body was so bent and broken he could hardly move. His eyes filled with fear as she stepped up right next to him. Bullets were still flying and yet not a single one hit her. Nothing seemed to even get near her as she looked down at him with disdain.

"This was the best they sent," she sneered, "Pitiful."

Reaching down she grabbed his neck and twisted it, snapping it with her bare hands. Instantly her eyes returned to normal and her knees buckled but she forced herself to stand, looking back and seeing the barrier around the children and Gerry fade, "No."

She stumbled forward towards them and fell to her knees beside Gerry, gasping as she realized just how far she went. Too far. She clutched her chest, feeling her heart restricting, her voice hoarse, "I have...to help...Elaya...I have to...get you...out of here...all...of you..."

"Look."

All the children had started to point and slowly Lairia rose her eyes to the last sight she thought she'd ever see.

Seraphina.

247e8800b94e86fe79e173215c9b8d8a.jpg

"My turn."

There was no lurch in her step, no sign of pain or exhaustion. The Phoenix walked out as if she had simply been waiting for the fight, her chin high, her eyes dark with rage. She had seen all Lairia had given to the fight, but as the barrier had fallen for the children and Gerry, so had the spears, and the men were scrambling up. Not just that but other men were pooling into the yard, with guns or swords, ready to kill everything and everyone. And Elaya. Her Elaya was in the middle of it all, held up by a stake in absolute agony.

"No more!" she screamed, reaching Elaya and touching her body. She could feel the hellfire, and she knew what this meant. But she knew she wouldn't let her lover die. A circle of flame grew around them, flaring when anyone neared. It incinerated all that flew through it, keeping the two within safe. She knew she had only minutes before her walls were too weak to defend but that was all Sera needed. Her nails dug into Elaya's shoulders and she sucked it in. Every last inch of it, all of the hellfire, pulling it into her own body as she screamed and snarled with the effort, all until Elaya felt no pain. Then she tore the stake out, picking up Elaya in her arms. The circle fell and the men swarmed, but none came close. Fire branched out from all sides of her, whipping and attacking those nearest, burning their weapons and knocking them down. And Sera turned, walking towards the well. It was the closest to her, and she was unsure she'd make it to the house. As she got closer she set Elaya down, not with the group there, but as close as she dared with how hot she burned. And she burned hot, the air crackling and spitting around her.

"Protect her for me," Sera ordered, looking Gerry and Lairia dead in the eyes, "Goodbye."

Turn. Step...step...each step she calculated, holding off the men with her flames. It hurt. All of it hurt. Her body was dying, and she had known it for days. But she had held on. For Elaya. For the group. But I can't...I can't let them die for me. It's my turn. My sacrifice.

"Take her down!" they screamed, rushing at her. Bullets hit her, but they barely hurt. Swords stabbed and she felt little now. She had accepted it. It was coming. She let them closer, swarming her until no one could see her within the group of men all trying to deal the final blow and end the leader of the group, the true one standing in their way.

"She's going to sacrifice herself!" Lairia realized, screaming over the noise, "She'll kill us all!"

Seraphina smiled and turned, accepting it. She had accepted it the second she had seen her lover in such pain, pain she now felt. But it would all be gone. She just had to...let go.

A break in the crowd let her see them for a single last time as her body began to heat like never before. Lairia was rising, looking like death herself as she reached out to stop Gerry, who was running...to who? Elaya? Sera? Her eyes turned to Elaya, and a tear streaked down her face. She should never had let it go this far. She had been selfish to wait for this.

"I love you," she whispered, her eyes closing and accepted it, letting go. Skin faded to heat, and heat faded to light, her body surpassing anything felt on this earth as she became white hot. Those closest were incinerated instantly, and the rest had no time to run, no time to hide.

With a shudder she exploded, and the world shook for a second time that day.

Her body ceased to exist, as did all else around her. All their foes turned to ash, and then even their ash was burnt to nothingness. Anything near her exploded in white light, the barn, the trees, all but the house that Lairia had protected. Reynault remained safe within the doorway of the house, but the children, Gerry, Lairia, and Elaya were not. At the last second Lairia had thrown her hands out, creating a giant barrier, protecting everyone around the well...but Gerry. She had felt him pass the barrier as it came down and she screamed for him, knowing the explosion would kill him without pause. But she could not get to him even as she pushed herself forward, the light blinding and searing her eyes. When it did finally fade she tried to look again but her eyes burned. Collapsing next to the children, she felt death's cold fingers gripping her heart,darkness blanketing her mind . She had gone too far this time and there was no stopping the consequences of her actions. Whispering a prayer for herself she fell unconscious, her heart barely beating.

"Sera..."

Elaya could only moan the word as she lay on the massive spikelike post she had been unable to remove. it was slick with her blood and it burned within her.

She tried to crawl toward the house when the spears were removed, but she could not move. She could barely breath. But still she moaned. "Seraphina..."

Then there she was. Her Phoenix. Glorious and beautiful. And then she was within Sera's arms.

She screamed but she wrapped about her lover despite the pain, gazing at her face in pure adoration.

But then Sera put her down. What? Why?

Then she saw. The children.

Sera moved away and Elaya knew. Knew before the sorceress could even turn her head. "SERAPHINA!!"

She forced her body to roll and began to drag herself toward the Phoenix. All the time she was shrieking. "SERAPHINA!!!"

NO! You cannot take her from me. Not now. "SERAPHINA!"

Then Gerry was running. Why? What...Elaya's face was wet with tears but she could not let Sera sacrifice herself for it to mean nothing. She screamed the redhead's name again and leaped forward, tackling Gerry. They both fell to the ground, Elaya screaming as the explosion struck them both, but Gerry landed behind the barrier. Sorta.

His howls of anguish were not earth shaking but the pain was excruciating as the right half of his face and most of his body was engulfed in flame. Elaya scrambled atop him shielding him from the worst, while she looked over her shoulder at the center. At Seraphina. The heat meant nothing to her in this state and she sobbed and wept for her Seraphina.

Sometime later Narxis, Amitiel and Drea drew her away from the weakly moaning Gerry. Rey was up and helping soothe the sobbing children. Drea encased Gerry in water bubble and knocked him out. His face was sealed ruin of blackened flesh, his hair gone, his body covered in burns. Drea did not look hopeful.

Amitiel and Narxis crouched by Elaya. They tried to give comfort but they knew it would mean little as she continued to sob. She began to crawl.

Narxis started to help her but Amitiel stopped him. They watched as Elaya, still bleeding somehow crawled across the yard to the pile of ash in the center of the charred yard. Her tears wet the earth, and everywhere they landed grass regrew almost instantly.

Narxis looked at Amitiel who shook his head and shrugged.

Elaya's blood was having similar affect. And there was much of it. She was unaware. She drew herself up to the ashes and lay beside them, sobbing and wailing Seraphina's name over and over, her blood creating a pool beneath her and the ashes, and only then did she begin to heal, though she screamed her rage in her lover's name, wanting to die. Wanting to be with Sera.

She had nothing now. She could not even bear to return to the Metuzi. Her life was as dry and empty as these bloodied ashes.

She whimpered piteously and both Amitiel and Narxis wept silently for her pain.

Tatia would wake some time later soaking in salt water, while beneath the water her tail was clamped into place as two creatures tried to excise her scales.

Siren scales were of incredible valuable.

~

Laria would wake, when she did, to find Rey sitting on the edge of the bed stroking her hair and humming softly to her.

~

Jeziah had been given a short respite while Nickens spoke to his people through a comms unit. "When our new guest has awakened, tell Her Grace that I am willing to make a deal for the lives of her people."

~

Elaya would never leave the ashes. She could not bear the idea. Even as a rainstorm fell over her. She did shift and lay over them, preventing the water from reaching them, her blood keeping them in place.

Narxis and Amitiel kept their position near her, both still weeping as water ran down their wings and faces and over their weapons.

The bodies of the attackers vanished without trace.

Tatia woke from the pain, and the first thing out of her mouth was a scream. She looked down to see her tail clamped and cried out louder, writhing in place as she tried to pull away, feeling them taking scale after scale off and destroying her beautiful tail. Every scale that was ripped from her showed the flesh beneath it and caused her to bleed.

"Rythert!" she screamed in the water, "Someone! Help me!"

~

Meanwhile Kai had just been heading out of Reno's home when the Rythert jumped both, both speaking a mile a minute.

"Fuck, wait...slow down," he ordered looking at them, "Okay tell me what's going on..."

Minutes later he was bursting back into Reno's place, yelling loudly, "Baby? I need you to get up. Things have gone bad. My group was attacked, and one of mine -Tatia, you met her- she's been kidnapped. I could really use your help."

He turned back, looking at them, "Me and Reno can scour the town, look for answers. Are you two sneaky? You should try and sneak onto the Golden Hills Ranch, see if she is there. Don't cause a fight though, not without backup. We just need to know where to go."

Someone shoved a clamp over Tatia's mouth and a voice spoke into the stillness as the two moved away and the seawater began to heal her tail, replacing the scales.

"You will note that you are not being permanently harmed Your Grace. That special gift is from someone you might know well."

A light came on and revealed pictures of her parents and her uncle. "We've had several of your kind before. Took us some time but we learned how to make sure they provide value for a long long time. Now. Shall we discuss my terms for the lives of your friends? Especially those two delightful water spirits?"

~

The Rythert were unable to get onto the Golden Hills Ranch. Or even within a thousand yards of it. Every waterway was guarded by dozens of merfolken warriors. Nickens had clearly betrayed the Princess to them and was now using them to defend himself from the group.

~

Nickens smiled as he listened to the siren whimper over the comms line. She would soon be begging for death. perhaps he might even indulge her. He smiled coldly. He liked the taste of siren blood anyway.

Tatia screamed against the clamp but to no avail. It scared her that she could not speak. A mute siren was as good as dead. Her power was her voice, and unable to use it her power would wither and with it both her and it would die. When she heard the voice her head snapped around but she could see nothing. At least until the lights turned on and she could see images of her parents, though she barely remembered them. They had died during the war, her mother slain in front of her, her father having escaped with her and her uncle before returning under the sea. She had been told he had died in that war too. Only her uncle and her had survived, and he had been gone since the day he dropped her off in the orphanage, she had assumed he was dead. What were these pictures for then?

He lied. She knew he was lying. He could get nothing from her dead parents, who had dead well before ever coming to land. But her uncle...it was possible and she hated believing it might be true. She could not tell him she knew, she knew he was lying. Her mouth was still clamped shut. Instead she used the light to look around. She was in a tank, a rather large one at that, inside a large rectangular room with little to nothing inside. The tank was suspended, so that below her they had pulled her tail through a small hole that did not leak, big enough just for her tail. It was there they had been pulling her scales off and when they had finished they had released the clamps holding her fin, allowing her to swim upwards just enough in the tank. But she hadn't realized by swimming up the hole had closed and she was now encased in the water, unable to free herself from the tiny glass confines that barely allowed her to move, or even swim. Not that she could, her arms held by metal chains attached to the glass walls, keeping her trapped. The clamp had come from someone above the tank, having reached in. It was then she noticed the stairs leading to a landing above her, and a few men and women standing there watching her struggle. She shrank back, scared and worried about what they might do to her next.

The voice carried even under water, now in her own tongue. "Now Princess Tatiana. Do I have your attention?"

The water suddenly shocked her. Not a gentle jolt but a violently painful jolt. Then it stopped and the chains fell away.

"That was to be sure you don't think we can't reach you if we let you swim."

The tank was covered with the same glass like material of the bottom and sides. it was several inches thick, and more importantly unbreakable. "Now. Let us discuss your options. Your only value to us is what we can get from you. Your scales yes. But also what we can use your precious voice for. if you agree to help us, then I will agree not to kill..."

Very recent pictures of very scared Rythert showed up.

Then a burned Gerry. Clearly alive but so badly hurt.

Elaya a pin cushion of screaming pain.

Amitiel and Narxis engulfed in fire.

Lairia covered in her own blood.

Kai beaten bloody.

Drea bleeding to death.

Rey unconscious.

A pile of ashes that could only be Seraphina.

He chuckled. "Well ok maybe the last it's too late. And the one before you might not care. But still. If you help me they get to live. If not..." The pictures began to burn. One by one. Rey. Drea. Lairia. Amitiel. Kai. Narxis. Elaya. Gerry. Then her Rythert, still mouthing her name.

A figure slapped against the glass and screamed it's hate at her. The flying golem who had brought her here. "Meet Nix. Your guard. I'm sure you recognize a golem. One impregnated with powers and abilities you cannot imagine. Including immunity to your song. He is still angry though. You tried to fight him. he doesn't like that. He wants to kill your friends. he doesn't like that they embarrassed him." Nix screamed his rage again.

Nickens adopted a consoling town. "yes Nix I know. Daddy will fix it. Now Princess. Again i ask. Do i have your attention?"

Tatiana was shaking in the water, her tail flickering as she stared in horror at the images. Her eyes had passed over the other faces, each one hitting her harder than the last. But Rythert had hit her the worst. She couldn't let them feel her pain. The shock of electricty had caused a brief spike of pain, but she was sure it would come in worse, longer strides should she act out.

And that was what she wanted to do. She wanted to scream profanities at them. She wanted to hurl herself at the walls. But she didn't. She held back her anguish and rage, holding her tongue as she floated to the back of her new prison cell. If she could cry tears in the water she would, but not even those would fall.

"Fine," she cried out, speaking English. She would not sully her tongue for them, "Fine. I'll cooperate. Just don't hurt them, please. Swear an oath that you won't hurt them..."

She sunk lower, knowing she was signing her life away. But the image of Rythert in pain, seeing it in her mind burning up over and over, it killed her. It was the first time she truly understood how she felt for them, and it made her decision even worse. She loved them, truly loved them. And she would never let harm come to them. Not as long as she could help it.

"Promise you won't hurt them..."she whispered, curling her body in the corner of the water cell, staring back at Nix, "...And never call me princess again..."

"Then Tatiana. They will not be hurt. You have my word and my promise. Now. How close do you have to be to use your voice."

~

Reno and Kai were back in bed. They had searched the town, save the saloon which was closed and sealed. Reno had been furious but there was nothing she could do. So she had taken Kai to....vent her rage.

The shifter lay beneath her, his eyes glazed, his lower body numb, while she kept his hands on her massive chest, and stewed. She was falling hard for this young stud. She had never had a lover with his skill or energy, but even he couldn't match her enraged. Still she thought she would keep him. He was smart and clever.

She did wonder what had happened to those water spirits though.

~

The Rythert returned to the farm to find everyone in bed. Except Elaya. They were stunned to learn what had happened from Amitiel and Narxis and did not even try to approach the mourning werewolf, who still lay over the ashes, howling into the rain, every note filled with her heartbreak.

Sun spoke softly. "They have Tatia. And merfolken. What should we do?"

Narxis sighed. "We must wait. Elaya won't let them keep Tatia...but she isn't ready now. nor are any of us. Least of all me and him."

Amitiel nodded sadly. Both were drenched with the rain, but they did not move. They were doing what little they could to comfort and console the devastated werewolf.

Tatiana shook in her spot, curling further into the wall as she spoke words she knew she would regret, "I only need them to be within seeing and hearing distance...s-sometimes only hearing."

The golem continued glaring at her as she shrank further into herself, lonely hopelessness slowly washing over her.

"Would it work through a recording?"

~

Kai had begged free of his new lover just so he could catch his breath. He was walking stiffly, his legs and...other parts sore beyond belief.

He went to the general store and paused for some coffee, and even bought some brownies. The Rythert had still not returned, but he had gotten Drea's message about Jeziah. The problem was he didn't know....what to do.

What was this?

He let his body stay relaxed and calm as he heard them discussing the pretty redhead man. Hmmm.

He paid for his coffee and followed him. As he did so he pushed himself. Elaya had been encouraging him to work on his human shapes, but to start small. She had showed him what she meant and he had been amazed at the results. So first he 'broke' his nose as he pretended to wipe it, then bobbed it. Then he thickened his lips and his brows, and brought his forehead down. He then gave himself a very strong and very real limp, all before he had left the store, tossing some money back as he put on a large hat and ranching vest.

Unlike the punchers he followed he didn't wear any weapons, but he hardly needed them now. He fell into step a bit back, making no attempt to remain unnoticed, though he didn't start mumbling until he willed his scruffly stubble and the straightened hair on his head to turn a dusty grey. He also pushed his teeth down into the gums and dragged out a scar through his lips and shortened his tongue and just that quickly he was a new...old man. He began to mumble gibberish as he followed the punchers.

When they turned to enter the Golden Hills he accelerated, his head down and ran into them. They grabbed him and shouted and he flung his hands up. "Me' pardun gennlemen. I wuz juz lookin fer a place ta sell sum gold I dun found." He held up a large raw bit of the metal. "I dun herd dat yer boss...fine gennleman...Mr. Nike?"

"Mr. Nickens."

"Da same. Dat he buys gold. Now I'm too old ta be prozpecting eny mur but I figgered dat a nice gennleman like Mr. Nichols.-" "Nickens." "Dat's da one. Dat he wud like a valable peice o property. Wudn't want much. Cud I see him fellers? i'd be happy ta buy ya'll a drink er two."

He was brought into the saloon and soon was paying for quite a few drinks while he shared the story of finding the gold on what used to be his farm to the north. Mr. Nickens, his hands suspiciously red, came up and went behind the bar. He heard the story and after examining the gold, did pay Kai a good price for it. "Now where is the rest?"

Kai gave him the location without any trouble, letting his now grey rheumy eyes widen at the sight of the money, but then coughed and wheezed. "'Xuse me Mr. Nickers sir. I-"

"Nickens."

"Yeah dat. Da ya have a washroom I cud use? My bladder ain't much these days."

Nickens nodded and gestured and Kai went that way, but stumbled and fell into the door to the basement which broke open and sent the shrieking old man tumbling down the stairs.

Kai spotted Jeziah in the far corner and whistled a tune he knew Gerry had been humming when they had met. Then he resumed calling for help and apologizing. He had 'broken' his arm and likely his hip in the fall and offered to return the money for the door, clearly afraid of angering Mr. Nickens. He had also wet and shat himself in his fear and his shame actually only made the inhabitants of the saloon pity him.

Nickens was magnanimous. "No need. Abe. get him to the washroom, let him clean up, and get him some clean clothes."

Kai let his eyes water at this kindness. "Mr. Nickleby-"

"Nickens."

"Yes sir. Thank ya sir. If i can ever do ya any service ya just say da word sir."

Nickens nodded and Kai was lead away.

Ten minutes later, after buying another round of drinks, he left the saloon and ducked into the General store. A minute later he emerged again as himself, wiping away vestiges of a large meal, and even belching in the face of the morons that had been stationed to watch him.

He wasn't sure what he would do. or what he could do. But he knew he had to get Jeziah out of there. But it would be highly illegal.

Tatia raised her head a little than shook it, the movement slow in the water, "thats not how it works. You have to...have to bring them to me."

She didn't even want to say it. Tatia wanted no part in his nefarious plans. But if she didn't cooperate than he would break his oath nd hurt her precious Rythert, or her friends.

~

Jeziahs head rolled up as he heard the commotion, watching a rather old man fall down the stairs. His arms hurt behind his back and his body ached but seeing the man reminded him that there were people still around. Her eyes widened a bit more as he started to whistle a very familiar tune. He had only heard it once from one of Seras men. His lips remained sealed though as Nickens and a few others came down and dragged the men back up. Before long he closed his eyes again, saving his strength.

Nickens was relayed the answer and grumbled. "Damn...we will have to bring her to Reno....let her swim for a time. Nix. When she seems relaxed...educate her on the proper way of addressing me."

~

"Yes Master."

Nix studied her closely, and pressed closer. his face was hideously foul, and his body thickly muscled in various colors and skin textures. But only one peice of him was crafted of but one source, but that source had been especially gifted. it was long, thick, and pulsated with what could only be described as malevolence. He wanted to fuck her. Fuck her in ways she had never even dreamed. The pain would be exquisite.

~

Kai lay on the railing of the jail, studying the town. He couldn't act now. not while the town was awake. And certainly not while Reno was awake. What to do...

He had felt his sisters death. It was like some tether within him snapped but did not wither, telling him without a doubt she had been ashed. He had cried for her but he hadn't sobbed nor weeped for his little sister. He knew she would be back. All he had to do was get to her to do so. Since seeing what he could only guess had been the shapeshifter Kai, Jeziah had been pulling at his chains, heating his arms up to extreme temperatures to see if it would help. But the chain had been charmed to be fireproof and even the chair he sat on seemed unlikely to burn. Half of him wanted to burn the entire saloon down where they kept him. But all that would do would be landing him in jail -the sherif had made it clear that no one tolerated violence here. Of course none of you see what's happening to me though, otherwise maybe I'd be a free man.

No, no one was coming to save him from the town. And if Kai was alone the men here would murder him without a second thought. He doubted most of the group was here. If Sera was ashed, Elaya would be in no fighting position. He knew those two too well. And the only reason Sera would have done it was to protect her people, meaning more than less of them were hurt or injured. Jeziah couldn't rely on her group this time. He needed to rely on his own friends.

Closing his eyes he dug deep into the fire within his soul, reaching past it to the Mother Flame, begging for her help. He knew the consequences if he grew too hot or kept her too long. Yet he still begged for her mercy and help and she gave it. He felt her grow through him and he concentrated, giving her the image of Kai. He had to focus hard and try not to burn up. Her flame was the most powerful of all, being Mother Nature, and if she wished it he would die then and there. But she didn't. He was simply an anchor to the real world as she moved through him and out, searching for the one he needed...

Over in the sheriffs office the rooms started to swell with heat, growing hotter by the second as a being took shape in thin air. It was tall and thin, made of pure fire but resembling a woman. It had no legs or feet, it's body becoming thinner past the hips till the fire ended at a point. It's hair constantly flickered like the flame it was and it looked around, seeking him. It found Kai, who had stepped inside for a second. It could feel his body heat and it could see with its coal black eyes. But it could not speak, as fire never could. Opening its hand a sign appeared also of pure flame, with letters cut out of it like the air had been punched through.

The first sign read 'Jeziah needs you'. She dropped the sign and it turned to smoke as she raised enough, each sign growing out of her palms. The second sign read 'send a letter to his city' and another 'with only his name' another new sign ' and ask it be delivered' 'to his home personally'.

She dropped the signs and turned, sweeping into the office and floating above the desk, staring at a piece of blank parchment. Her hand reached out and touched it, instantly leaving a burnt imprint but not setting anything aflame. On the parchment within the handprint was a etching of a Phoenix unburnt. She beckoned him other to see it then held another sign 'send this now. Help will come by morning'.

With that she burst into smoke.

Meanwhile underneath the saloon Jeziah was gasping for air, feeling her pull back as he let her go, no longer anchoring her to the plane. The mother was fair and loving to her children but her powers were immense and they hurt. For Jeziah he felt like he'd run a thousand marathons without water, his body aching and stiff and his muscles sore. But he was alive. And help was on its way.

Kai stared at the living flame, but nodded obeying.

Once the message was sent he blinked. He had just come up with an idea, but he started to toss it away when he realized something.

"Just because you think help will come doesn't mean they will get here on time."

He left a note for Reno, then sauntered over to the saloon.

The basement, like the basement for all bars and saloons, held the excess liquor and food and the like. Meaning it had to have a back entrance for the stuff to be delivered.

He couldn't use that because it would be guarded. BUT, where there is alcohol there also must be ventilation. He walked along until he smelled the unique fragrance of mixed liquors, then began to search until he found the source. He shed his clothes and hid them beneath a barrel, then shifted into a cobra. Not one of his best, but it was his best snake. He entered the hole, not surprised that it barely fit even this thin form.

He slithered along, happy that snakes could not register the fumes truly, though he suspect he was getting something of a contact buzz.

Finally, his head came out of a pipe in the corner. Or would have, save for a mesh grillework. But he had expected that.

He willed himself into an ant and crawled through, then down the wall to the floor and resumed his cobra shape. He slithered about and quickly found Jeziah because of his heat. He checked the rest of the basement first, but could tell from the growing noise above that they were alone. He shifted back and snagged a nasty pair of pants he had been wearing before. The sensation was disgusting but he didn't want to startle Jeziah that much. he found a canister of gel, and curious he sniffed it and instantly understood. "Thief juice."

It was a dumb name, but it was a substance that had been developed by parasitical monsters to steal the power and essence of a supernatural creature without killing them. But while it was powerful stuff, it was stupid as it's name.

He moved to Jeziah and spoke softly. "Don't freak out or speak. I'm going to get you out of here."

he moved close and carefully not touching the stuff, drew the gel over Jeziah's chains. Within seconds they could both sense the breaking of the protections.

Kai stepped back. "you wanna melt them or should i break them?"

Back
Top Bottom