Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Indecent Proposal [Traveler et dearestdarling]

dearestdarling

something of a ne’er-do-well
It was the one thing she said she would never do.

She had borrowed the dress from Danielle, and the shoes. Both black, both edgier than anything in her closet. Even B.E., before Evie, she hadn't worn clothes like this. The stage in her life where she was supposed to party in short skirts had ended before it had even begun, and she didn't miss it. It was hard to miss something she'd never known. But this is what men were supposed to like, right? At least she could walk in the heels-- her brief pageantry circuit had taught her that much. There was one thing she could thank her mother for... If only her mother could see her now.

She had seen club often when she'd had the job at the diner, picking up midnight shifts, any shifts they would give her, while Evie stayed with Mrs. Stanton. She had always walked quickly by, trying not to draw the attention of the bawdy men who were leaving. She was certain Seth had visited there too, during the day, when he was supposed to be out looking for a job. Weren't topless dancers that worked the day shift supposed to be the most wretched ones? What if she was offered a day shift? What if Seth still came around...?

She would take whatever job they offered her, she realized, and hated herself for that. But what else could she do? Evie was getting smarter. She was beginning to notice that the things that she'd had to sell to afford rent, food, paying off the debt that Seth had put them in... So far she had been able to spare the toys, the Disney movies... But she was running out of things to sell. Last week she had taken her grandmother's pearls to the pawn shop, and even though she would rather have a fridge full of food than an old necklace, it still made her cry. It was the last memento she'd had of her.

The outside of the building was painted gaudily, charcoal and tacky flamingo pink, with neon signs that seemed to taunt her as she passed them by. LIVE GIRLS. As opposed to what, dead ones? PRIVATE DANCES. Could she stoop that low? Could she afford not to? She entered and immediately shivered; it was like entering a cold, dark cave. The lights were on, but they they were mounted so high, and the beams were so dim, that it was hardly brighter than the twilight outside. The air felt stale on her exposed shoulders as she passed by the empty, unattended bar, the clusters of tables and bar stools, spotting the main stage where four other girls had already lined up, and what they wore made her look like she was going to church, their implants bulging, lips sticky with too much gloss. They smirked at her, as if she was the one who looked bad.

A man with a clipboard and a clear addiction to tanning beds turned to see her walk up, waving her over quickly. "You're late, Ginger."

"It's Sadie," she said, and instantly regretted it. Weren't you supposed to use some fake name?

"Look, if you work for me, I can call you whatever I want, sugar. Now get up on stage and let's have a look at you. Then you can show me what you can do at the pole." He sounded bored. Without further protest, she took her place beside a girl with blonde hair that was so brittle, it would break off at a touch.

The man pressed the play button of a small boom box downstage from the pole. Sadie waited for her turn at it, watching with a sinking feeling in her chest as the other girls swung from it like crazed acrobats to a sultry, hip hop number. Sadie glanced out into the audience and noticed that a small group of men had gathered around a table, talking quietly and watching the auditions. Wasn't this place supposed to be closed?

"Ginger, you're up."

Cotillion had never prepared her for pole dancing. She tried to look confident as she crossed the stage, head held high, shoulders back, and she grasped the gleaming metal in her head; it was freezing. Slowly, she swayed her hips, trying to move naturally as she walked around it. She tried not to shudder as she hooked her leg around it, nestling it behind her knee and bending backwards, her back arched as she posed for a beat. Her feet were pointed, residual habits from years of ballet. Trying to mimic one of the girls that went before her, she slid her leg back down, taking the pole in both hands and swinging around it slowly a few times, using the momentum and her upper body strength to jump up, grasping the cold steel between her thighs. She forced herself to smile at the clipboard guy as she slowly slid back down.

She went on for a few painful minutes before her song had ended. Too bad she couldn't have waltzed or done the foxtrot for him instead. She toyed with a copper curl as their judge gave them a final cursory glance.

"Okay, Ginger, you didn't make the cut. You four, come back Tuesday at noon for tshirt fittings and scheduling. I want you to start immediately."

She had danced for this skeeze, on a pole for goodness sakes, and he didn't even have the decency to offer her a job. He seemed to be done with them, wandering off and scribbling something on the clipboard she wanted to rip from his hands.

"Hey! Hey!" Sadie brushed past her giggling contenders, following quickly after him. He was heading towards the back, and she didn't catch him before she got to his office. "Listen, mister--"

"Chad."

"Chad. Please. I know I'm not the best pole dancer, but I can learn, I swear, I have dance experience--"

"Honey, that's not why I passed on you." Her sighed, plopping down behind a messy desk and opening his laptop, not bothering to give her another look. "We teach girls to dance. A monkey could do it. I have four new monkeys that will start doing it on Tuesday. That's not the issue."

"Then what? Please, I need a job. I can wait tables. Serve drinks, mop the floor..."

Chad slicked his hair back, finally looking up at her. "We aren't hiring for that. I passed on you because quite frankly... You're too sweet."

"Too... Sweet?"

"Well, yeah. See those other girls out there? They're fantasy. Illusions. Nothing about them is real-- their tits, their asses, their hair... It's all male fantasy. That's what we're selling here. Men come here to escape the sweet girls in their life. They don't want to see some innocent on stage, making a fool of themselves, reminding them of the wife that's waiting at home with the kids, the girlfriend who's busing tables to put her boyfriend through college. They want a hot chick with huge fake knockers swinging around a pole and writhing on the floor, like they were born to do it."

She hated his smug voice, she hated his orange face. "So there's no job."

"Not for you, sweetie. Not here. Why don't you go back to school? Make something of yourself? You look like a smart girl--"

"Shut up." She glared at him for a moment, then swiped a bunch of clutter from his desk, sending a box of booze merch flying and scattering its contents all over the laminate. Tight tank tops with brands of vodka emblazoned on them, plastic shot glasses, Mardi Gras beads. "How's that for sweet?"

He was laughing as she stormed out of his office, feeling more pathetic than ever. Dancing was what people did when they had no other options left. What happened when dancing wasn't an option? Craigslist ads for 'female companions'?

She hated Chad for turning her down. She hated Seth for leaving her, leaving Evie...

She started the walk back to the apartment, thankful for the hot summer air, but not much else. Hopefully Evie would be sleeping; sometimes she wondered if Mrs. Stanton slipped NyQuil into her milk. Old people had different ideas of what was okay to give to kids to help them sleep. Better than whiskey, she guessed, but she couldn't really complain. The old woman watched her for free, and beggars couldn't be choosers. God, she hated begging.

The street was quiet, nearly abandoned, but for tattoo parlors, and bars, and clubs, and... It wasn't a place to bring up a sweet little girl, but it was all that she could afford. And soon, even this place would be too glitzy for her. Where would they go, when they were inevitably evicted? A women's shelter? Would they take Evie away from her?

She had walked two blocks when she sensed that a car was following her. She slowed her pace, and the car slowed too. She turned down the wrong street, and it wasn't long before the head beams fell onto her back, illuminating tumbles of long, red hair. She stiffened as it pulled up next to her, sleek and black and clearly very expensive. Reaching into purse for the pepper spray she had never needed to use, she watched as the tinted window rolled down, a shadowy figure inside.

"Look, I don't know what you want, but whatever it is, I don't have it." She mentally prepared herself for what would come next, the spritz of pepper spray, flinging her heavy heels at him and running off as fast as she could.

The black car had stretched on and on, until it was revealed that it was not an ordinary car, but a sleek Mercedes SUV limousine. The back door had opened, revealing a posh grey leather interior, thick carpet, and TV screens. Ice clinked in the glasses in holder, but there was only one man sitting in the four-person room. He smiled at her through the window and raised a manicured brow as if she was the most amusing person in the world. His dark hair and olive skin spoke of some Mediterranean or Mideastern heritage, and the closely cropped beard was an interesting contrast to the expensive suit he wore. Even in the dim light of his overhead cabin, everything about the man screamed 'money'.

"Miss Sadie, I am not here to hurt you." He held up a fan of money. One hundred dollar bills splayed from his lean, elegant fingers. There had to be nearly a dozen in his hand. "I merely want to offer you a job proposal, and if you will kindly come in and discuss it with me this is your payment. Just hear me out, my dear. There is nothing to lose, and much to gain."

The car had stopped and the front seat passenger had exited the vehicle. He reached to open the door for her as if it was assumed she would accept the offer of a discussion.

The man in the back seat smiled at her. "Please. On my honor, I wish to discuss things with you only. You will not come to harm." He waited for his bodyguard to close the door before her, then he laid the one hundred dollar bills on the little table in front of them.

"My name is Amir. I want to hire you, my dear, but not for dancing. Not...exactly." His smile flashed a line of white, perfect teeth at her. "Tell me, my dear. Can you type?" His eyes roamed over her legs and hips freely, drinking in the feminine curves of the young woman in his limousine. He found her sweetness today to be exactly as he needed it. As if his prayers had been heard this delectable girl walked in and was the key to getting what he wanted, and now all he needed was for her to say yes once. The first 'yes' was always the hardest, and though she was in his car, she had not said those words to him. Not yet. He had a feeling that it was just a matter of time.

It was a limo. Even before Evie, she had never ridden in one. Limos were showy, new money. Her parents' drivers had always used Town Cars when needed, less ostentatious, but still demonstrative of wealth. But they didn't even make those anymore... What did her parents' drivers use now? Mentally she shook the thoughts away; old money, new money, she had neither and would gladly take either.

Somehow he knew her name. Was he one of the men that had huddled around the table, watching the auditions? She hadn't looked closely enough at the time to be able to tell, now... But how else would he know? Before she could tell him to buzz off, he fanned the money in her face, and it took her a second flat to count the bills-- twelve hundred dollars-- her heart leaping. That was rent money. That was food money, they could even maybe splurge on something small, and save the rest... Evie's face would light up to see ice cream in the freezer, the first time in months since they'd been able to buy it, and the summer had been the hottest one in years...

"I get the money if I just... Discuss it with you?" He wanted her in the car. Wasn't this how all of those crazy true crime movies started? She looked at his face-- he didn't look like a scary serial killer, not a hair out of place, his smile flawless and charming... But that didn't really prove anything, as badly as she wanted it to.

Still... Would it be so bad, if something happened to her, and Evie lived with Mrs. Stanton? She was a weird old lady, sure, but not a bad person. Not a person who had continuously let her down.

Before she could answer, a man had come around from the front passenger seat and opened the door for her. Three men in the limo, then. The idea that she should join him in the cab seemed more and more foolish with each passing moment, but... Twelve hundred dollars. This would be Evie's first birthday without Seth around. She wanted to do something special, maybe take her to the aquarium, but those tickets were so damn expensive.

She bit her lip, exhaled, and climbed into the vehicle before she could change her mind.

The old, familiar smell of leather was almost comforting. She thought of being shuttled from ballet lessons, her piano recitals, French and Italian, etiquette... She eased into a plush seat, crossing her ankles and not her legs, as she'd been taught. The dress had ridden up her thighs, and she tugged at the hem discreetly, her purse clutched in her lap as she watched the money being laid out before her.

"Excuse me, please, Mr. Amir. One moment." Quickly she took out her phone and texted Danielle, the only person who knew where she had been. 'I didn't get the job at The Toybox. I'm talking with a man named Amir, he picked me up in a limo. If I don't call in an hour, call the police.' Then she tucked the phone away, folding her hands in her lap and giving him her full attention.

So this was a job interview? He wanted her to... Type? "Type... As in, on a computer? A typewriter?" Was 'type' some kind of slang for some deviant act, or...? "I can type. Pretty quickly too, but could I ask you something? Do you always conduct interviews for typists in a dark alleyway, in a bad part of town? I'm sorry, I don't mean to be rude, but... You don't look like you're from around here." The suit, the haircut that cost more than her rent, the manicured nails and brows... She knew wealth when she saw it.

He smiled as he sat back and waited for her. Her answer was a ‘yes’. It wasn’t just a ‘yes’, but a ‘yes I can, very well as a matter of fact, and why do you want to know’ kind of response. For a woman who had just begged to prostitute herself on stage for 1/10th of what he had just offered to pay her for one evening’s conversation, she thought mighty highly of herself.

His smile slid wider. He sat forward, his hands loosely clasped on his knees, and looked deeply into her eyes. His gaze bespoke of exotic places and unspoken pleasures. “In this case I am not truly seeking a typist. I am seeking an actress; a spy. I need a person who is willing to do whatever it takes to bring a very bad man to justice, and who does not mind being paid very, very handsomely for her part.” He reached forward and picked up a slim bottle which he poured into both iced glasses. “The man I speak of is a thief, a liar, and a murderer. He must be brought to justice but it can only be done on the inside.”

Amir lifted the two glasses and offered one to her. “I will arrange for you to have a wardrobe, an adequate resume, and a job in his office. You will catch his eye but avoid any advances that he makes on you.” He took a sip and smiled, catlike, above the rim. “Eventually he will be so intrigued that he will seek you out. Perhaps… allow it to be known subtly that you are struggling financially. He will eventually seek out a financial arrangement with you.” His eyebrow peaked as he offered that scenario. “You must make him vulnerable to you so that he begins to tell you things. I’ll assist you in this; I’ll tell you what to ask, what information we want, and once we have recorded what we need to record, then we will bring down this bad person, and justice will be served.”

“Of course you will wonder what is in it for you, do you not?” He took a long sip of his drink, a fruit essence vodka that was dry and crisp with a hint of sweet, and set the glass down. “The job you will take pays approximately thirty-four hundred a month. Not much, but it is entry level. I will double it.” He shrugged. “If you are able to gather the information I need then I will give you a bonus. A car, a house, money for your child’s college. Whatever.” He didn’t seem too concerned about what she might ask for. “All I need is for you to say, yes. This is the chance of a lifetime. Don’t let it slip out of your hands.”

"In this case I am not truly seeking a typist."

So it was too good to be true. She tensed, watching as he poured vodka into the glasses, turning his words over in her mind, the cadence with which he spoke was almost lyrical. He wanted an actress, so he came to a strip club and followed the girl home that made the least convincing slut? None of it made sense.

"Sir... Mr. Amir..." She declined the glass; she couldn't drink. Not legally, and more importantly, not from a stranger's glass. She had a silly worry that somehow he had already drugged her or something, that this was some weird dream she was having. He didn't seem to have heard her and pressed on, explaining the terms, new clothes, a job that paid more than her lack of a high school diploma would ever allow her. With that money she really could go to school, like Chad had suggested to her. Not just for her GED, but college...

But the real job would be seducing the bad guy, the thief, the murderer. Not typing. She smoothed her dress down her thighs nervously as he held the offer out to her, so sweet she could almost taste it. College for Evie. She would have the life that she was entitled to, not the sad life Sadie had been able to provide for her. That caught her attention and held it in a vice.

But... Clearly she wasn't the seductive one of the bunch, she hadn't gotten the dancing job. Why was she singled out? It didn't make any sense.

"I can't say yes, not until I know more about this... bad guy." She tucked a loose curl away from her face, her eyes falling on the stack of money, and then Amir, her brow furrowed. "What exactly did he do? I have-- I have someone I am responsible for." She didn't know if he knew about Evie, but if he didn't, she wanted to keep it that way. "I can't put myself in danger, even for that money. They need me to... care for them." Thirty-four hundred, maybe even more? She could move out of the city, into the suburbs. Evie could go to one of those nice, private preschools.... But what good would all of that money be, if she was murdered by some psychopath? Evie would end up in the system anyway.

His smile was superior as he watched her nervous hands smooth down her dress. She was cautious, that meant she was somewhat intelligent, even for a woman. "Everything in life is dangerous. You could have been mugged on the way home from this little dancing trail, no? Your 'someone' who you are responsible to, they would have had to bury you." He shrugged. "I am giving you a chance at a better life, and all you have to do is gather information. There is no reason he needs to suspect you. None."

His gaze drifted across her face and then traveled down her legs. "He would not seek to harm you anyway. You will be nobody to him. At first." His lips thinned as a predatory smile grew. "But think of it as being hired to spy for your country, hm? You are gathering information and you will be greatly rewarded for your work. You will never have to walk into a place like The Toybox again, not unless you decide you wish to buy the establishment. Between you and me, those girls are nothing but walking corpses. They have no heart. You... you are special. He will see that, and thus you will lure him into your web."

"Our web." He plucked his glass again and held it, his gaze thoughtful as he beheld the woman seated across from him. "You do not have to decide right away. You can some see me tomorrow." He reached into his pocket and withdrew a business card. It had only his first name and a number on it, but the quality of the card was first class. "Let my driver take you to your home. You can take your money," he indicated the twelve hundred with a negligent wave of his hand. "If I do not hear from you by noon tomorrow then I will look for someone else, but if you call then we will work out the details." His dark eyes softened as he regarded the emotions that crossed her face. "It is truly the chance of a lifetime. Do not overlook it and regret it for the rest of your life. You will not get this offer from me again."

As much as she didn't like it, the man had a point. It had been risky to jump into the limo, even with with text she had shot Danielle, but she had done it. As soon as he had offered her the cash, her hesitation had melted away, but what did that say about her...? The thought that he had chosen her over the others because she had 'heart'? She wanted to laugh. He had probably seen how hungry she looked, and not just for food, but for some life better than the hell she was living in. That was the real reason. She wasn't foolish enough to believe the sappy words he said.

She felt his gaze travel down her bare legs. There was that, too. How could she hope to seduce someone, anyone? Seth was the only guy she had ever been with, and after Evie was born, their physical relationship had deteriorated nearly as quickly as their emotional one. She couldn't even remember the last time she had had sex, and it was usually the furthest thing from her mind. Would she have to sleep with this guy, this murderer? Could she do that?

Amir didn't seem to care if she had the answers now. She took the card, but it offered no more information than the name she already had, and a phone number to reach him by, shiny black print over matte black cardstock. She studied it until he said that she could take the money, then stuffed it quickly into her purse, along with the cash, as if he might change his mind at any moment.

"You don't need to drop me off at my... at my place. Here is fine, I can walk the rest of the way." She didn't want him to know where she lived. She didn't wait for the door to be opened for her, electing to get it herself, clutching her bag tightly. For once, there was something worth stealing inside. "Ah... Thank you, for the opportunity, Mr. Amir." What an opportunity it was. She turned and began walking down the street, texting Danielle to let her know that she was okay, her heels clicking against the pavement as she crossed the few, dark blocks to her apartment complex. She hadn't bargained for what had transpired, and she had no idea what to make of the 'interview' she'd just had, but for now she had a nice bundle of cash, and that had saved the night from being a total disaster.

"You're late." Mrs. Stanton spoke through the chain-locked door, peering up at her through round glasses. "How did the interview at the hospital go?"

"Not so good, Mrs. Stanton, I think they already hired enough dishwashers and just spoke to me to be polite." She felt bad for lying to the old woman, but what was she supposed to say? If she'd said she auditioned to work the pole, Sadie was certain she would give her a heart attack.

With trembling hands, the small, elderly lady unlatched the door, ushering Sadie inside. It smelled like cats and wool, and maybe cabbage soup, but she had come to think of it as a sort of second home. "Well, never mind. You're too pretty to be pruning your hands up at some dirty sink anyway. There'll be something else out there for you, something only you can do. Everything happens for a reason... But next time, you might want to borrow something nicer to wear."

"I'll keep that in mind." She forced a smile, crossing into the small living room. "Is Evie asleep?"

"Yes. Poor little Evelyn. She tried to wait up for you, but her little eyes just couldn't stay open." Sadie followed her neighbor down the dark hallway, taking care to open the last door on the right quietly. Dim light spilled through the doorway, illuminating the little girl, curled up on the daybed. A fluffy white cat had curled up beside her, daring Sadie to disturb them. The furball swiped at her as she reached for her sleeping daughter, transferring her into her arms without waking her. Mrs. Stanton tsked from the doorway.

"She's old enough to walk."

"I don't want to wake her." She squeezed Evie gently, positioning her so that her little head rested on her shoulder. "Thank you for watching her. Are you sure you don't want me to pay you?" She actually could afford to, this time.

"No, no... She's a joy to have around. My own grandchildren live across the country."

Sadie smiled, nodding. "Okay. I'll let you know when I have another interview lined up?"

"Of course, dear. And good luck to you. I hate to see you struggle."

Their apartment was three flights of stairs up, and the elevator had been broken as long as they had lived there, but Sadie didn't really mind. She took care not to jostle the little girl in her arms as she started the steep climb, each step sure and careful. What was she going to do? The man, Amir, had rubbed her the wrong way; something about the way he looked at her was devious and creepy. But he was right about one thing: an offer like the one he had given her wouldn't come again. It was easy money...

What if she took the job at the office, and she didn't catch this 'target's' eye? At least that paycheck would be somewhat honest, right? She could learn whatever basics she needed to, to keep the office job, and they could find some other helpless girl to be their actress once it was clear that Sadie didn't have what it took. That could work.... Maybe.

"Mama, what's 'asunto' mean?"

"'Asunto'?"

Evie picked her head up from Sadie's shoulder, rubbing at her eyes. "Julio and Marguerite are supposed to be getting married. But Julio kissed Roquelle on the mouth..."

Sadie unlocked the apartment door, sighing. "Mrs. Stanton let you stay up watching those trashy telenovellas again... Okay. Baby, those shows are not for little girls. Tell her to let you watch those movies I sent with you, okay? Tangled? You like Tangled..."

"No, I like Pasion del Corazón...."

"At least you're learning Spanish, I guess."

By the time she had tucked Evie into bed, she had already made up her mind. She took the card from her purse, black on black, and stared at it for a long moment. She sighed, then dialed the number.

Her heart was pounding as she waited for him to pick up, part of her still wondering if maybe she was being punked, or set up for something. Sitting on the edge of her bed, she fidgeted with the card, picking at the corner with a fingernail.

"Hello, Mr. Amir? It's Sadie." If he wouldn't offer a last name, neither would she. "I want to talk details."

Amir had watched her walking down the dark sidewalk, her back straight and her stride confident, even though she was the most vulnerable thing out that night. He smiled to himself. She was already saying yes, even if she wanted to convince herself otherwise. The call later that night confirmed it.

"Miss Sadie, it's good to hear your voice. I'm sure you won't be disappointed." His smile was almost audible. On the other end of the line he picked up a stout crystal glass filled with golden liquid. He had once calculated the cost per half-ounce sip to about $50, and he had filled it to the two-finger mark. The entire glass was probably valued at $350 for the contents alone, not to mention that the Waterford glass he held was probably a couple of hundred dollars. He deserved the best, though; he had been chosen to be born to his family, to inherit the wealth that his father had set aside, and had his older brother not stolen the family wealth and run away to America nearly five decades ago, he would have had all this and more.

So much more.

"Why don't you join me for breakfast in the morning?" He stroked the lip of the glass and listened to the gentle hum. "Say... eight o'clock at the Carlyle Hotel on 76th street? The restaurant is divine. Do wear comfortable shoes, though; if you do agree to be my... employee... then my concierge will take you to ensure that you are properly outfitted for the task, eh?"

He took another sip. "Text me your address if you want me to send a car around to you. Otherwise, have a good night, Miss Sadie. I look forward to our negotiations tomorrow." He hung up the phone and slipped it back into his shirt pocket. He tilted his head to look at the blond hair bobbing over his cock. Her eyes were watering, the mascara drawing dark lines down her perfect porcelain cheeks. He liked the newer ones. They were barely legal and they still thought that they might wind up on the big screen or walking down some catwalk if they sucked enough expensive chum into their tight, size 00 waists. He reached out and stroked her hair, smiling at her as she frantically worked to please him.

A few minutes later the eighteen year old stumbled back out onto the streets, her too-high heels held in one hand and a single hundred clutched in the other. She had enough for a fix; she needed a fix. Looking around she began to stumble away, her young dreams dashed against the rocks as casually as the rich man had cum in her throat, then held her face down as she gagged down every drop he shot into her, until she began to choke on his stinging seed and it came out of her nose and made her eyes water even harder.

Amir zipped up his Italian trousers and dabbed at the small smudge where the whore's makeup had rubbed off, then downed the rest of his drink. "Let's go home," he said to his driver. The bodyguard in the passenger seat nodded then slid the window shut, and the armored limo eased out into the New York night.

Eight o'clock? She didn't usually drop Evie off with Danielle until eight-thirty. "I'll be there," she found herself saying, but she wasn't sure how she could be. She knew exactly where the hotel was; though she had never been there, her family had often stayed at the Waldorf-Astoria, just ten minutes away. It was where she was supposed to have her debutante ball... Before she had screwed all of that up, picked Seth over everything. She didn't regret what had come out of it, just that it had to happen with such a douche.

Nearly as soon as they had hung up, another phone call popped up-- Danielle. She had totally forgotten to call her, after the impromptu job interview in the limo.

"Sadie, oh my gosh, I was seriously about to wake the kids up and go file a missing person report--"

"Danielle, Dani, I'm sorry, I got caught up. Everything's okay. I'm home, everything's fine. I should've called, I'm sorry."

She heard a sigh of relief on the other line. "Well, thank goodness for that. So the thing at the Toybox didn't work out? I would say that's too bad, but that place is gross... If I ever catch Jeff there, I'd have to delouse him before I divorce him..."

"Yeah, it didn't work out, but listen. I have a job interview early tomorrow morning. I need to drop Evie off early, okay?"

"Bring her by whenever, it's fine. Is this the limo thing? What kind of job interview starts with being picked up in a limo?"

"It's an office job." It wasn't technically a lie... "This could be big for me... For us. Thank you, Dani. I'll see you bright and early tomorrow."

***​

It was stupid, but Sadie found herself wishing that she could've brought Evie along the next morning. There was so much of the city that she wanted to show her, places that she should've grown up going to. She had used some of the money that Amir had given her for a cab; it was pricey, but she didn't want to give up her sense of privacy. Living alone with a little girl to protect had taught her to keep her guard up, that anyone could be a creep with an ulterior motive... And the less she revealed about herself, the better.

She had picked something from her own closet, much more conservative than what she had worn to the Toybox: a pristine white dress she had worn to dinner parties in the old days, heels that were comfortable to walk in, her hair curled loosely so that it framed her face, bangs held back with a barrette. She looked like the old Sadie. It was almost eerie.

She was second-guessing her outfit choice by the time she reached the hotel. Didn't they want her to seduce some guy? Maybe she should've worn something sleazy... But then Amir had said he would provide her wardrobe, so...

She walked to the restaurant's reception desk, feeling jittery and nervous. "Looking to be seated, ma'am? Without a reservation, it'll be just a short wait--" the waitstaff started in on her, glancing down at a clipboard.

"Ah, no, I'm sorry. I'm looking for a Mr. Amir, I'm supposed to be meeting with him--"

"Oh, of course, Ms. Sadie. Right this way, he's expecting you-- Lars?" A man whom she could only guess was Lars led her through the restaurant, to the table where Amir was waiting.

The restaurant was richly decorated, with gold hues and expensive fabrics adorning the room. Unlit candles on the tables whispered the elegance that the room would take on in the evening hours, but during the day it was bright and cheerful. Large orange Gerber daisies sat on every table, and even though it was yet early wine goblets sat at each place setting. Lars gave Sadie a polite smile and asked her to follow him to the back of the restaurant, where Amir was sitting.

He was wearing a light colored suit, his shoes peeking out from under the tablecloth where he had crossed his legs, and most of his attention was focused on the tablet that he was reading. As she grew closer he looked up and smiled at her, beckoning her forward with a curl of his fingers.

He stood once she reached the table. "Good morning, Miss Sadie. Please, take a seat." He motioned to the chair across from his own. The table was laden with baked goods, freshly sliced fruit, cereals, oatmeal, turkey bacon and small petite omelets. He had also ordered yogurt and juices, so that they had a mini buffet before them and wouldn't need to be bothered with the inconvenience of ordering. "Please, help yourself to breakfast. If there is anything you wish but do not see, do not hesitate to order it."

He waited for her to sit and then took his own seat before pouring them both dark, hot tea from a long-necked pot. "I trust you had no difficulties reaching the hotel this morning?" Though he asked the question it seemed rhetorical. He asked it much as one might ask "How are you?" to a complete stranger.

His five o'clock shadow had been immaculately groomed that morning. His clothing was crisp and flawless, and he had the soft scent of a man accustomed to expensive colognes, soaps, and personal treatment in the salons. "Now... you have questions? Ask, Sadie. I want you to be fully vested in the venture I am offering you. There is no second try; if we are to be successful it will be with you, and you alone."

"Will you walk into my parlour?" said the Spider to the Fly.

Sadie couldn't help but think of that old poem as Amir beckoned her closer. He was perfectly groomed and dressed, his smile pleasant and welcoming, but there was a gleam in his eyes that caused a thrill of something like fear to flare inside of her. Still, she pressed on, forcing herself to keep from tensing as she approached the spider. Or was she the spider, and the man she was supposed to seduce, the fly? That was what the meeting was for, she supposed, to straighten that out.

Her first thought as she saw the spread on the table was to identify the food that could be easily hidden in her purse for later, the things that would travel well and could be stored away. The fruit, the pastries if she could just wrap them in napkins... But if this day went well, if she could pull this off, she would never need to pocket food again. Even Evie was starting to notice that she didn't eat at meals, encouraging her daughter to get her fill, instead.

She sat where he requested, smoothing her hands over the skirt of her dress. "Good morning, Mr. Amir. I had no trouble, no... Thank you so much for asking to meet in such a beautiful restaurant."

She had started to place food on her plate, a modest arrangement compared to what she could actually eat, when he asked if she had any questions. "Yes, if you don't mind, I do have questions. Many." She took a sip of the tea, bold and just hot enough to be enjoyed without scalding her tongue.

"I need to know about this man, the one I'm supposed to... Well, what's his name? What is he like? And how do you know he won't try to murder me, if he really is a murderer?" Her voice was quiet enough not to be overheard, but she leaned closer to Amir anyway. "And... You said you wanted me to seduce him. What exactly does that entail?" Would she actually have to sleep with him? Could she do that?

Amir smiled that luxurious smile of his and watched her selecting her breakfast. "You have a great many questions. I see that this has been on your mind." He leisurely filled his plate with some fruit and a croissant. "So let me start at the beginning." He motioned to her and to himself, in an inclusive hand wave. "You must understand, all that we speak of is confidential. If it ever gets out..." he tilted his head and looked to the right, "it must never get out." His smile grew less genuine. "These are matters of great importance. To breech your confidentiality would be a grave mistake."

"Now, the man who you will be working for," he nodded to indicate that this was their target, "calls himself Giovanni Dashir." He raised an eyebrow skeptically. "That is not his true name, but you will have to get that out of him later, on recordings. He is actually Rashid Bahadur, my nephew, and he killed my brother."

He broke a piece of the croissant off and buttered it gently. "He is unlikely to want to 'murder' you, Sadie. We have a saying: 'Be wary around your enemy once, and your friend a thousand times.' You will never be in that kind of danger around him. There is too much at stake. Besides, there are other things that he would rather do to you than drive a stake through your heart."

His slim, tanned fingers brought the bread to his lips and he took a bite. Everything this man did was deliberate. Once he swallowed he sipped the tea and then nodded to her question about seduction. "Yes, exactly. You must know that the best spies in history have been the women who learned secrets while on their back." His dark lashes dipped down to brush his cheeks, then rose, allowing the deep mahogany of his eyes to meet her gaze. "I will teach you things. You will use what you learn to slowly seduce my nephew, and once he is entangled in your snare you will begin to milk him for the knowledge I seek and the confession I need. This will mean that you will become very close to him. You will have to become the one person he cannot live without; only then will he tell you the complete truth."

He flicked his eyes across her face, to rest on her lips, then to bounce along the soft curve of her shoulders. She was sweet, intelligent, and sexy. She would be perfect.

Sadie's breathing became measured, calculated as Amir further described the mission he had in mind for her, fiddling with the hem of her dress under the table. This Giovanni... He said that she had nothing to fear from him, but if he ever discovered her true intentions with him, how could she be certain? Amir hadn't elaborated on the kind of information that he wanted her to collect, but if it was that sensitive... And she was no spy, she had no espionage skills. The reward was so great, but did it outweigh the risk?

She could hardly touch her food, transfixed by the older man and his magnetic gaze. "Teach me...?" she repeated, almost too quietly to hear. The way he said it made her think that he didn't mean verbal instruction. She gently pressed her lip between her teeth, then released it. "Mr. Amir, I'm sorry if this question sounds a bit ignorant, but... You want me to seduce him, to sleep with him... What is there to learn?"

She scooped up a few berries with a dainty silver spoon, raising it to her lips and carefully tasting them. So much sweeter than what the grocer usually offered, and actually in season. Her lips didn't want to leave the spoon, savoring the taste, though there was so much food in front of her that there was no need to linger over every bite.

"So Giovanni-- I mean, Rashid... He's your nephew." She had agreed to seduce a man she knew next to nothing about. "Could you tell me more about him? His age, what he looks like... What he... ah, what he likes?" Becoming the one person he couldn't live without seemed like such a tall order.

He laughed. Her naivete in asking him what was there to learn in the act of seduction and sex was refreshingly honest. "My goodness, you are so... American in your thinking. What is there to the art of seduction and sex? What is the difference between a child gyrating on the dance floor and the New York City Ballet Company performing for a king?" He smiled at her and reached out, his fingertips grazing her wrist as she rested her hand near the bowl. "There is so much to learn, but when the time comes for you to begin to make your moves you will be confident and know exactly what needs to be done."

"And yes." He brought his hand to his mouth and slid the end of his middle finger into his lips, then sucked the tip sensually as he drew his finger out. "I'm going to teach you everything that you need to know. So yes, you will be sleeping with me as well... Once you've earned it." He smiled then, lowering his hand to lift the fruit fork to carry a piece of pineapple into his mouth. His eyes sparkled meaningfully at her as he let those words sink in.

"Now you must always call him Mr. Giovanni Dashir. He must not know that you know his other name. He is my nephew. We are in business together, but not exactly. You will understand once you start working at his office. You must not allow him to know that we know each other outside of the office as well; pretend that you are a spy, then, hm? It would be an easy task if you keep that in mind and remind yourself that there is nothing personal in any of what we are doing. It is strictly business."

"Now Sadie, before we continue I must know; are you in or are you out? There are things that I will not share with you unless you give me your word that this is something you are willing to do. If it is then I'll have my attorney discuss the terms with you and we'll proceed. If you're not sure... then we can continue our lovely breakfast and enjoy each others company, but I do not want to discuss Gi any further without assurances."

The reveal that she would be sleeping with Amir as well came as quite a shock to her. It took a few moments for her to wrap her head around that, that she was little more than a prostitute to him, although a handsomely paid one. She watched with wide eyes as he sucked the tip of his finger, imagining for just one moment what it might be like... No. She tried to push the thought from her head. Even if she were to cross that line, to sell her body, she wouldn't allow herself to fantasize about it... What did he mean by 'earning it'? Wasn't that what he was paying her for?

She had too many questions to count, but withheld them as he contributed to speak, biting into a Danish instead and humming in appreciation; this was real food, the food she used to eat every day in her parents' penthouse, but now she could never afford.

Giovanni, then. What would that name feel like on her lips, as she beckoned him to bed? Amir couldn't have known how wrong he was to choose her. She had never slept with at one besides Seth, and he didn't have what one would call finesse... She chewed the flaky pastry slowly, thinking his words over.

"I'm... In." Her eyes flashed to his, and she wondered if she understood fully what she was getting herself into, and if it mattered. The money was unreal, too much to pass up. Maybe she could even get back the things she had pawned, the few family heirlooms she had taken with her when she ran away... After the bills were paid. "Tell me, Mr. Amir... When could I start?" She realized the implication of her words, and a flush rose to her cheeks. "I mean, when could I start at the office?" She raised her tea cup to her lips, hoping to mask her embarrassment with it. "And why do I need to talk to an attorney? Am I going to be signing a contract?" Could he legally bind her to sleeping with him, with his nephew? She was still anxious to hear what he would be like.

The fine lines around his eyes deepened. Her eagerness to start pleased him greatly, and when she caught herself and clarified that she meant 'at the office' he wondered if he would have had to pay her at all, had she been given the proposition without the monetary reward attached. "You'll start at the office on Tuesday, but you'll start with me today. My concierge will take you to buy a suitable wardrobe and to get yourself fixed," he waved at her body and hair, as if he was talking about getting a car detailed. "Tomorrow, Monday, you will come to me to have these other questions answered."

"I will expect you to report to me dressed for the office. I will discuss with you your work experience, or what you will tell them your work experience is, and the idiosyncrasies of my nephew that you must understand in order to draw his eye. We will... how do you say it? 'Role play'." He nodded. "Practice. We shall practice a few things. Every night I expect to speak with you about your day at the office," he smiled and brought a loosely curled hand to his temple, "and once a week, on Sunday, we will meet. More, perhaps, if it is needed or desired, but at the minimum we will meet Sunday. Saturday is your day. Spend it with your family, your friends... but not your boyfriend. If you have one you must dismiss him immediately. There can be no mixed messages with Giovanni. He must believe that he is your entire focus once you have him ensnared in our trap."

"As for your question regarding the attorney, the answer is 'yes'. You will be signing a non-disclosure contract, and we will be putting our financial agreement into writing. This, of course, will be to protect you as well as myself. You do not want me to refuse to pay you what I've agreed, and I do not want you to share my secrets with Giovanni."

He picked at his breakfast almost delicately as he spoke. The tea was sipped, and when their glasses grew shallow, he poured more. "You seem to have some culture already. Tell me about yourself, Sadie. I want to know more about this exquisite creature who is going to help me to get justice for my brother."

Fixed? She felt irked at the word, but did her best not to show it; this was the man that was offering her a way out of poverty, and even if she wasn't sure she liked him, she wouldn't bite the hand that fed her. What exactly needed to be fixed, though? He spoke of her body as if he owned it... In a way, he did.

She couldn't eat as he continued to outline the job he had hired her for. Idiosyncrasies. Something about that word was a red flag. Didn't all men want the same thing, an easy lay? What more was there? She guessed that's what she would learn on Sunday. "I'm sorry, Mr. Amir, but... Does he have... Weird taste?" She couldn't imagine what they would need to practice, and every week, no less. The thought that she would be sleeping with the man she was sharing breakfast with was a bit off putting, but strangely, a bit... Thrilling. "I don't have a boyfriend," she confirmed, "and I don't want one. Don't worry about that. Mr. Giovanni will be my... Entire focus." But would Giovanni think of her that way? As his? Or just someone he slept with?

Alarms were going off in the back of her head, but she chose to ignore them, picking at her breakfast and contemplating his words. He asked her about herself, and mentally she wanted to shield herself, as if she was bare in front of him. Of course he wanted to know more; he had just hired her for a very sensitive job, and he would need to trust her... But he couldn't know about her past, her family... Evie.

"I... Grew up in a privileged household." To put it extremely mildly. "But I came across some hard times, and I've put that life behind me now." Her gaze shifted to the tablecloth, as she tried to sort out what was okay to reveal, and what wasn't. "Mr. Amir, if it's all the same to you, I'd like to keep this relationship strictly professional. My past isn't really important-- what's important is what Mr. Giovanni wants, and how I can give that to him." And if she could give that to him. That still remained to be seen.

He smiled thinly at her. The elegant fingers at his temple curled, and his eyes seemed to darken as he listened to her skirt his question. "Your past is very important to our task, Sadie." He said her names as if the two syllables were crisp bites of celery and had to stay separated by the smallest of accents. "It might make the difference between success and failure. For instance, can you dance in a ballroom and not fall over the edge of your dress? Or are you more of a, ah.. line dancer? Are you a little bit country or rock and roll, hm?" He reached over and lifted his tea cup. "Do you speak another language? Have you ever traveled outside of this country? Those are all important things for me to know."

"This is strictly professional, but it is also very intimate. If you are going to seduce and then destroy him then I will have to understand who you are." He sipped at his tea and studied the woman across the table. "You don't have to tell me all today, but you will tell me. Eventually."

He set the cup down and reached for her hand, much like a lover might do. His eyes held hers as he slid his tanned fingers over her skin. "You implied that you didn't think there would be anything to learn regarding seducing and sleeping with a man. By the time we are done you will know how to seduce any man you desire, and you will not have to worry about falling on hard times again. You will meet many wealthy men and you will be able to pick the one you want, and money will never again be something you lack."

Amir tilted his head. "Everything is a business arrangement. The mistake many make is to allow their emotions to interfere with their plans. As long as you remember that the heart is deceitful and lies, you will never make that mistake. Emotions are not what should be trusted, only facts."

He moved his hand back to the tea cup and caressed the side of the China. "Let us finish our breakfast. I see that my concierge is here. She will take you to prepare for your job, and then inform you of where we shall meet tomorrow. Aside from our Sunday meetings and your reports to me each week she will be your primary contact with me. She will befriend you at the office and give you a cover, so that you are not completely alone while you engage in your mission with Giovanni. You women do enjoy each others company, do you not?"

He indicated a red-headed woman who was casually sitting by herself, an untouched wineglass of iced water lingering near her hand. She was skimming through a tablet of some kind and seemed quite bored, though her low velvet pumps, sleek navy blue pencil skirt, and crisp white collared shirt made her look like an icon of Americana from the 1940s. Even the way she lined her eyes and the deep wine of her lips were reminiscent of the girls painted on old fighters in WWII. She was about ten years older than Sadie but she looked well-kept, and her years had been good to her. She rolled her head to the side slowly, as if enjoying the pull on the muscles in her neck, and when her lashes raised and she met Amir's gaze a soft smile teased at the corners of her lips.

The thought of Amir discovering her past, of knowing who exactly he was eating breakfast with, put Sadie on edge. She had no way of knowing how her family took her sudden departure, the pregnancy, how they would feel about Evie.... But she had her suspicions. Evie would likely be taken from her. Her mother wasn't above bringing the issue to court, stealing her daughter away so that she would have another shot at bringing up a perfect princess. She exhaled softly, trying to work out how to answer his questions without revealing too much of herself.

"I can be anything that you need me to be," she said, a little coolly. "But to answer your questions, yes, I have no trouble in a ballroom, and yes, je jeux parler francais. E italiano, posse leggere e scrivere entrambi con facilita." She was determined not to give too much away. She wondered briefly where Amir was from, then decided she didn't want to know. It would be better to focus on the task she was given, and only that.

He took her hand, the sensation nearly foreign to her; even before Seth had spilt, it had been ages since they had done something as simple as that. Her skin looked like milk against his, the contrast was lovely, and she looked at them as she considered his words. It was hard to imagine living in a world where she would never need to worry anymore. Money could fix a lot of things, but she would always need to look over her shoulder... The thought was unsettling. And there was the matter of learning to be seductive, and that this man would be the one to teach her. His fingertips slid over hers, and she tried to think what they might feel like in her hair, exploring her bare body... She pressed her lips together, hoping he couldn't feel her pulse through the thin skin at her wrist.

Her gaze fell on the demure woman in the corner, and right away, she thought she understood why she had been chosen. Did Amir have a thing for red hair? Or maybe Giovanni did? She looked like something out of a vintage magazine, those old advertisements for war bonds. She wondered if maybe they had some kind of housewife fetish, or something weird like that. "So... That's how you'd like me to dress," she said, half to herself. "Is that what Mr. Giovanni prefers? Or you?"

Amir smiled, his lips sensual even in that small movement. "No, Sadie, that is not how I'd like you to dress. That is how Giovanni surrounds himself, it is true, but those women are nothing to him. You will be like the one wild daisy in the midst of stodgy roses; a breath of fresh air in a stagnant theater...that is how you will catch his eye."

He made a small gesture that was almost a shrug. "If you have ever flirted with the theater you may consider this your greatest role. You will stand out, and you will pretend that he does not interest you in the least. It will as if... as if you are bored of his very existence. He hates to be ignored, and the fact that you will act as if everything else in the world interests you except for him, will drive him crazy."

"So. The money is good either way. If you do as I instruct and he does not fall for our trap then you will still be paid. You win no matter what happens. For you, it is a good proposition." He inclined his head. "The person taking the largest risk here is me. I am the only one who stands to lose."

He glanced at his wrist. The sleek, black watch screen blinked a message at him and he seemed to be considering a decision. "You will be in good hands, Sadie. I will see you tomorrow, dressed as if you are reporting to the office. Madison will give you the details." He slid out of his chair and took her hand once again, as he stood. "It was a delight to begin my day with you." He bowed slightly and brought her fingertips to his lips, never dropping his gaze from hers. Something in his eyes smouldered, but whether it was at their newfound partnership or at her agreement to join him as not made clear. "Enjoy your little shopping spree. It is meant to be an enjoyable taste of the life to come."

He held her hand for a few moments longer than it would be considered appropriate before turning towards the redheaded bombshell and nodding, then taking his leave of the two. Madison stood up and smoothed down her skirt before walking over to Sadie's table and taking Amir's vacated seat. She swiped a manicured finger across the screen and leaned back in her chair.

"Your itinerary is to shop for clothes with me until lunch. We'll get a quick bite in the limo on the way to the stylist, and then once we are done with him there will be a quick dinner with Mr. Bahadur's attorney for some paperwork, upon which time we will arrange for delivery of your wardrobe and your vehicle." She tapped her tablet and looked up. Her wine-red lips were constantly in a half-smile, and her makeup was perfect. She looked like something out of Hollywood. Even her voice seemed airbrushed. "Any questions?"

Those women are nothing to him. Sadie couldn't help but wonder what that meant. Why would he surround himself, by his own choice, with women who bored him? She didn't understand, but supposed she would in time. She would get paid either way, true, but she distinctly remembered Amir mentioning incentives for getting the information he needed. She was already in it this far, and if he thought that she wasn't trying to catch Giovanni's attention, she could be replaced. She knew how easy that could be.

"Tomorrow," she confirmed, wondering what he meant by 'dressing for the office', and where exactly he wanted to meet her. She felt slightly uncomfortable as he took her hand, his gaze somehow too intimate for a public restaurant. Tomorrow he would start teaching her what Giovanni liked. She forced herself to smile, bracing herself as his touched his lips to her fingertips. "Thank you so much for this opportunity, Mr. Amir. I won't let you down."

Then this woman, this Madison approached, gliding over to the seat that Amir had vacated, in a perpetual state of cool amusement. Sadie straightened subconsciously, trying to shrug off the edge of intimidation that the woman gave off. This was what she wasn't supposed to be like... She hoped tomorrow would give her more answers; as of the moment, she could not have been more confused.

She watched Madison's lacquered talons sweep across the screen, the twitch of her painted mouth. Her voice was too smooth, almost inhuman. Sadie felt frumpy compared to her. Salon? They were going to cut her hair? Her hand raised to touch her curls, but she said nothing, not until--

"I'm sorry, a vehicle? You're giving me a car?" Where on earth was she supposed to park it? "My apar-- my place. It doesn't have parking." She had always walked everywhere, or took the bus, or ridden with a driver in that 'before' time. "It's fine, I can get to Mr. Giovanni's office without one." At least until she made enough to move away from that crappy apartment, that horrible neighborhood... The place she had brought Evie home from the hospital. Where her friends lived... Sadie frowned. The idea of moving was bittersweet.

Madison paused and watched the play of emotions across the little bird’s face. It amused her, the way this one seemed to flit about, smashing herself upon the bars of her cage as if she could escape the fate that awaited her. The concierge felt like the cat dangling a tidbit on the end of a string. ~Come, little birdy, come take the little seed, and then we’ll see what happens next~. But of course whatever happened would be up to Mr. Amir. It was always up to Mr. Amir.

She smiled at the newest hired girl and then nodded. “Of course. If you do not wish a vehicle, we shall not force one upon you.” With a dismissive motion she flicked that item off the agenda for the day. “That makes our day simpler. Shall we?” She glanced up through immensely thick eyelashes and then stood, smoothing out her slim-fitting skirt with a perfectly manicured hand. Her other hand folded the tablet under her arm as if it was a purse or a favorite lap-dog.

"Come on, everyone knows that the best clothes can only be had in the morning. We have ten outfits to pick out; I hope you are wearing comfortable shoes. If not, we can buy you some." She smiled broader now as she began to step out. "We only have a few rules on this leg of your trip, Ms. Sadie. One, if in doubt, buy it. Two, if it's too big we can get it fitted for you. Three, if in doubt..." she turned to smile at her client for the day. "Buy it. We can always send it back later or get rid of it."

Madison walked up to two suited and sunglassed men standing next to a limo. "Javier, Savor, this is Sadie. She'll be our focus today."

One of the men nodded and opened the door for the two women to slide into the back. Once he closed the door he took the passenger seat and his partner got in behind the wheel. Soon they were headed to downtown Manhattan.

Just as soon as it had been offered, the potential car was taken away from her. It was for the best, but a part of Sadie kicked herself for rejecting it. What position was she in to reject any gift?

She hated the way that Madison looked at her, as though she wasn't quite human, but instead a fun project she'd been given to work on. She could feel the cat-like eyes picking her every feature apart, assessing it, referring to whatever notes that Mr. Amir had given her. She spent the entire day on edge, trying on clothes that seemed better suited for a whimsical day at the park than an office, and that was bad enough. But the worst offense, the one that nearly drew the protest that rested on her lips, was when they touched her hair.

"A few highlights," Madison had called it, but it ended up being much more than a few. Her virgin hair was foiled, and when the awful-smelling gunk had been washed out, the tips of her hair were lightened to nearly white. It was subtle, 'peek-a-boo' highlights according to Madison, and it was true that they hadn't done her whole head, but... Sadie touched the ends as though they belonged to somebody else. She hadn't been allowed to color her hair when she lived at home, but she had never really wanted to. It felt like some kind of violation.

"What was the point of this?" Sadie asked, as the stylist rolled her hair into a brush and slowly blow dried it smooth. Madison didn't bother to glance up from her screen.

"The point, the entire point, is to entice Mr. Giovanni." Her voice was slow, deliberate, as though Sadie couldn't possibly understand anything else. "Sadie, dear, try not to worry yourself with the particulars of the job. Your focus should be the big picture. If coloring your hair and wearing a few outfits is all you have to do to gain financial security, what does it matter, the color or the style? Leave those decisions to the professionals."

"If Mr. Giovanni surrounds himself with women like... you, then why are you making me look like this?"

Madison laughed, the sound like tinkling glass. "Mr. Giovanni is easily... bored. He thinks he likes a certain type, but what he really enjoys is the chase. The thrill of the hunt. Barrel curls, I think, Rubio," she said as an aside to the stylist, "and muss them a little. Sexy and fun, that's what we're aiming for."

Sexy and fun. She could do that.

"Mr. Amir will give you further instruction of how to conduct yourself, so save those questions for him. I'm here purely to work on... the exterior." A quiet smile, and her attention returned to the tablet.

"Can I ask you one?"

Madison nodded, still not giving her full attention to the girl in front of her.

"Have you ever slept with Giovanni?"

Madison's eyes flashed to Sadie's, the cool smile faltering for a split moment. "Mr. Amir will handle all of your questions that are relevant to your job description, Ms. Sadie. Don't trouble yourself over anything more." She tsked to herself, swiping her screen with a delicate finger. "We're going to be late for your waxing, hm."

***​

It was difficult to leave Evie the next morning. Sundays were always their days to spend together. But Sadie reminded herself that it was for the best, that if everything went well, she would be providing a wonderful new life for the both of them. She had to believe that, so that her daughter would. After a quick breakfast, Evie was left with Danielle and the boys, and Sadie hailed a cab. It was strange to be able to afford it, instead of needing to walk to wherever she had to go.

HAVAS ADVERTISING, the card she had been given read, and somehow the place wasn't like what she had been expecting. Everything was white, modern, casual. Her pink heels clicked as she found her way down the hall, peeking into the double doors that fed into the cavernous office space. She felt a bit ridiculous in what they had dressed her in-- a light pink blouse that tied at the throat in a loose bow, the black pencil skirt, and of course the matching shoes. It felt like a costume, and in some ways, she guessed it was.

She stopped at the receptionist's desk, nerves buzzing. Though it was Sunday, a few people were in the office, working and not paying her much attention. "I'm here to see Mr. Amir," she offered, and the man at the desk nodded curtly.

"Is he expecting you? What's your name?"

"Sadie."

He looked up from his computer. "And your last name?"

"How many Sadies could he possibly be expecting? It's just Sadie." She needed to think of a false last name, and soon.

He gave her a strange look, then picked up his phone. "Mr. Amir, your... Sadie has arrived."

His lips curved into a thin smile. 'His' Sadie had arrived. How true those words were, though he knew that it would be a sweet and sensual seduction to make it a reality. He knew, though, when he saw her so awkward on that stage that he could take her innocent beauty and turn her into a sharp weapon, and he also knew that the hint of desperation in her eyes was sign of the steel determination that lay inside. A woman who was willing to go against her basic nature to make a living had a lot of courage; either that or she was desperate - but he could take either and mold her into what he needed.

He ran a hand through his hair and then adjusted his collar before answering the call. "Let my Sadie in." The smug smile on his lips dissipated into a business-like expression when he heard the door open. He turned to watch her as the receptionist opened the door and then stood aside for her to enter.

"Miss Sadie." He waited for the attendant to leave before stepping forward, his slim height accentuated by the cut of his suit. "I trust you had a pleasant night?" When he reached her he put out a hand, ostensibly to shake her hand, but actually to lead her to an armchair. He waited for her to take a seat before sitting opposite her, their view the picture window that led out to the bright New York skyscape. Once they were settled he sat for a long moment, his hands resting easily on his knees, and just looked at her.

"Why did you refuse the car, Sadie? That is one thing I do not understand." His eyes narrowed, darkened and focused as he listened. Still, as she spoke, his eyes raked over her clothing. "God... You look a mess." He sighed then leaned back, his head shaking slightly as if he was chiding a pet. "The look does not work. It's too obvious. Take it off."

He stood in a swift, sure movement and walked to the back of his office. There he slid an entire wall over, revealing a walk-in dressing room, and went to a stack of boxes. As he stood there, studying them he seemed to make a decision and then pulled one from the stack. He brought the box back to where they had been seated, and sat it down. "I did not think that I was unclear." He glanced up at her, his eyes dark and powerful as he noted her expression. "Take off your clothing. Remove it all."

Just before she crossed the threshold of Mr. Amir's office, Sadie took a deep, silent breath and hoped that it would help to soothe her nerves; instead, it seemed to ignite them. The soft, timid click of her heels on the floor revealed the nervousness she tried to hide. Her first day on the job. What was he expecting of her? Was she going to start her... Training? She felt like prey as Amir gazed at her with those dark, predatory eyes. Did he like what he saw? Did she look the part? Would Giovanni like it too?

Sadie smiled nervously, taking his outstretched hand, his skin vibrant and rich in comparison to her own cream complexion. "Pleasant enough," she answered vaguely, and willed her pulse to calm as he confidently led her to the chair she supposed she should sit in. The leather smelled delicious, unearthing memories of her formally extravagant lifestyle. She wouldn't trade being a mother to Evie for all the money in the world, but a part of her missed it. If this went well, she wouldn't have to miss it anymore.

She smoothed her hands neatly over the tight skirt and looked back at him, unsure if she should begin to speak, or wait for instruction. "I don't... I don't have a place to park it," she admitted, and hoped that it wouldn't give too much away about where she lived. Who knew what resources the man had at his disposal, but she would cling to her sense of privacy as tightly as she possibly could. "It was very gracious of you to offer. Maybe if I-- if I move..." She could tell that he was no longer listening to her, and promptly he dropped the pretense.

"A mess?" she repeated, but he seemed not to hear her. He was already on the move, slinking to the back of the room, panther-like, and revealing a hidden room with box upon box of what she could only suspect was clothing. His next request drove a cold chill down her spine. Undress? Here? Now? The blinds of Amir's office were open, though they were high enough up that it hardly mattered, and one of the walls was made of frosted glass. She was supposed to strip here, in front of everyone?

Yet just days ago, she was auditioning to do exactly that. Amir, for his part, looked at her expectantly. It's just part of the job. She brought a shaking hand to her throat, slowly taking the silk ends of the now and pulling them taut, so that it came undone. Her eyes didn't leave Amir's. Is he expecting us to...? She couldn't imagine having sex in the office, with no real sense of privacy. Maybe he had another hidden room just for that.

She inhaled slowly as her fingers traveled down the front of her blouse, taking time with each fiddly little button and revealing the shell-pink bra she wore beneath it. Was that unacceptable too? Should she...? She decided to keep it on until she was told otherwise.

She reached the last button, her chest heaving as she tried to appear cool, collected... He wouldn't intimidate her. Not unless she let him. Then she folded the blouse and laid it onto his desk. She cleared her throat quietly, then reached for the side zipper of her skirt, sliding it down the swell of her hips as she eased it down her long legs. Beneath, she wore a matching garter belt and panties, and stockings held up by clasps, all Madison's suggestion. Fuck Madison. She seemed to have gotten it all wrong.

She forced herself to stand up straight, her curled hair falling over her breasts. She folded the skirt and laid it flat over the blouse, waiting for further instruction. "Mr. Amir, will we be... um... Practicing, for Mr. Giovanni today?"

Back
Top Bottom