Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Descent into Corruption (jd97 & darkwalker)

jd97

Moon
Many a legend is spun about the far-off land of Croeweg's Descent, and this was hardly a surprise. The island is dominated almost entirely by a nearly impenetrable darkwood forest that plunged the land beneath the leaves into eternal twilight. Strange, poisonous plants grow and overtake the ruins of a magocracy long dead and forgotten.

Within, they say, are great beasts unknown in civilized lands. Entrances into the feared Underdark, where subterranean monsters plot war on the surface dwellers. The bodies of the dead walking the earth... and those are some of the tamer tales. But above all else, they whisper of great treasures left when the mages vanished.

It has been years since these shores have felt the tread of foreign boots. Today, they feel it once again...

I stepped from the small sailing vessel and drug the skiff to shore and further, stopping a handful of feet from the treeline to scan the ominous depths of the forest. Seeing nothing, I drag the boat just a few feet in and bury it in branches and debris, on the off chance I need it and am able to find it later. Grabbing my pack and sword, I strap them on and pull the waterproof scroll I had paid a fortune for from my belt.

Unfurling the parchment carefully I scan the clues and shake my head. Most of the landmarks weren't going to be tall enough to be seen over the treeline, so there was nothing to it but to set off. Other maps showed a small pond on the southern end of the island. If I could find that, I'd have a place to start.

Double-checking that I have everything, I set off into the trees in search of a trail or any signs to orient myself with. It would be a long trek, but the relic would be worth it.

The forest was ominous; strange, unidentifiable smells and sounds drifted through the brush. The trees were large and thick, and the undergrowth rife with thorns. And yet, finding the pond was surprisingly easy. After only a few minutes of walking, Alistair came upon a small break in the undergrowth, an amazingly clear pond within. The whole clearing had a strange under scent to it, but more pressing was the lone creature drinking from the pond; a great dire wolf.

It was the size of a medium pony, it's white fur broken by gray splotches, and black paint drawn on it's fur. A saddle was on its back, clearly indicating that not only were humanoids living here, but they were fierce enough to tame such a beast.

As Alistair came into view, the wolf perked and raised its head from the water. Turning towards the man, it flattened it's ears, planted it's feet, and growled. It did not attack, but it's warning against approaching was clear.

I smirked and drew my sword. Wolves were better as pack hunters and could be dispatched with discipline and patience. But this one had a saddle, which meant there were others nearby. It also meant that they were intelligent enough to train animals and make saddles, so they might be able to help me on my quest. I held my sword to one side and extended a hand,, palm up. "It's okay, boy. Where's your master? I'd like to speak with him."

I put my back to a tree and scanned the forest, trying not let my eyes leave the wolf.

Yellow eyes focused on Alistair with wicked intent. The wolf's hackles raised and its whole body tensed as the man's question hung in the air. The sounds around the two seemed to quiet, as if the forest waited for someone to make a first move. Then the silence was broken by a horn blowing elsewhere in the forest. It sounded as if it were a mile or so off, but with the foliage in this forest, it was difficult to tell distance with any certainty.

The wolf's ears perked and it immediately broke its standoff, turning and barreling at full speed into the forest, running toward the sound and leaving Alistair with nothing but his map, a pond, and the wolf's tracks.

Running after the thing was as good as suicidal, but if it led others back to me...

I grabbed a stick and began marking the ground, running circles, stomping, anything to cover my own tracks, then moved to the water's edge as carefully as possible to avoid leaving tracks. I leaned down and smelled the water, then scanned for anything dead nearby. Deeming it safe, I filled my water skin with eyes to the trees and quickly made my way back to the underbrush. The wolf had done nothing to hide it's tracks so they were easy enough to follow and soon I found myself covering ground through the unknown forest, unaware of where it would lead...

The strange smell grew stronger the nearer he got to the pond. It was not bitter or musky, simply... strange. Almost like something an alchemist might have utilized back on the mainland, but nothing Alistair could place.

Following the dire wolf's tracks was surprisingly easy. Such a large beast had cut a huge swath through the underbrush as it had run through, seemingly not stopping at all. The brambles and leaves crunched beneath Alistair's feat as he walked. Had the wolf not just been through here, traveling this route would have take him quite a bit of time and effort. Odd; even animals had preferred paths through the forest. Why did it charge through here, and not a trail to follow toward the horn?

In a clearing a little ways ahead knelt a female orc, her pack open as she put some scattered supplies into it, muttering under her breath. "-damn wolf aimed for me, I know she did... if not for the chief, I'd-" At the sound of movement, her head perked up. She looked around for a moment before seeing Alistair, her eyes widening in shock. "Human..."

Then her mouth bent into a wicked grin and she stood. She reached to her belt, her left hand going for a wicked axe of strange metal which hung there, her right for a horn made from some creature Alistair had never seen before.

"Shit." I cursed, ducking backwards into the brush and bolting for that strange pond, hoping to perhaps lose the orc and whatever pursuit she brought there. Glancing back only to be sure I wasn't immediate followed, I darted as fast as I could through the brush, switching directions at random and trying to use landmarks to bear me away. I tugged at my sword and drew it as I ran, listening for any pursuit and eyeing behind me as often as in front.

Back
Top Bottom