Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Cajun Connundrum (Wolvenrogue and Loneiysong)

She couldn't sleep at all. When he woke up, she watched him. She frowned and just watched him. She leaned up and moved into the kitchen. She didn't like living with someone she didn't like living with someone she didn't trust, but she would work on her trust again and bit her lip as she sat down and watched him.

"Good Morning!"he said a bit more cheerily than usual. "Coffee's on the stove, eggs and fish will be along in a minute.
He flipped the fish, and cracked the eggs into the pan. A few minutes later he handed her a plate, though she hadn't spoken a word. Finally he decided to break the ice. "look if you are just waiting for me to take advantage,you got a long wait comming. I'm out here cause the hurrcane took my wife and three girls from me, and destroyed my home. You are the first human I've said more than two words to in a year. I may be strange, but I aint gonna hurt you, not for anything".

"I am sorry. Fate can be a mean hearted bitch." Ritter spoke frankly and looked down into her plate as she pushed against the eggs around on the plate. She looked up at him. "Strangeness doesn't scare me. My momma taught me the finer parts of voodoo, swamp magic and healing..." She leaned back and sighed and rubbed her temples and frowned. "I am just tryin to sort through a hornets nest that is my brain." She said simply.

" Alright, fair enough. In the meantime you are easy on the eyes, and Lord knows I can use the company." He chuckled softly. "We are strange bedfellows, to use a figure of speech, but it looks like we both have something to add to the situation. Your welcome stay as long as you please, but for God sakes don't worry. You won't have to worry about being attacked in the middle of the night."

"for whatever its worth I can be a good listener if your in a mood to share, and there aint no one out in this swamp I can gossip with. I think you found that out already."

She smiled and then looked at him and nodded. "I was taken to the swamp from where I was. I was going to the college of Louisiana." She said and then looked down and blushed and then looked at him and shrugged. "I was going on a full scholarship." She rolled her head on her shoulders and sighed softly.

Roy raised an eyebrow at her words. How did a college girl smart enough to get a full scholarship end up left for dead in a south west Louisiana bayou. " So are you planning to go back? I don't guess you learned to survive at college, not that college is a bad thing." He too a long sip of his coffee before it got cold. to me this is the most beautiful place on earth, not that I've seen much of the earth, but I woudn't live anywhere else , even if I coud. Here I owe nobody nuthin, and I do as I please. Sure the swamp can be mean. But its a safe enough place if you know how to stay out of the way of snakes and gators. I never had to shoot anything but a critter, and then only sos I could eat."

He smiled and toasted her with his coffee cup.

She looked at him and bit her lip. "They thought a croc would get me probably." She looked down and then shivered and then got up and moved outside of the boat house and down into the swamp and sank to her knees and rolled her eyes and got sick to her stomach. She shivered and held her stomach. She trembled and shut her eyes laying to the side wishing she had died.

Roy got up and watched her from a distance, watching her vomit, and then sink into the murky water. "No you don't! Whatever happened, it wasn't your fault, and it doesn't make you worth any less. Not one bit!" He stepped down into the water and scooped her up into his arms and carried her back aboard and then back to the bow. He just held her in his arms as he filled the tub. The sitting in a chair, he put her in his lap and slowly pealed the muddy shirt from her body. Picking her up again he lowered her in the tub. He let her sit there a moment before he too the soap and began to gently wash her. " We are going to wash that hurt away so tha only you are left. "

She turned her face away and shivered. She didn't want to be touched. She didn't want to be looked at. She pulled her knees up to her chest and tried to hide her body and shut her eyes tightly and shivered hard. He could see long cuts along her body where nails and knives had cut her where boys had taken from her what they wanted and left just a shell of what she used to be.

Taking the soap, he gently washed her running his fingers gently over the cuts and scars. She had been through far more than he could have ever guessed. He lifted her legs one at a time, washing each and ever inch of her skin. " You are beautiful !" he breathed softly into her ear. he washed her shoulders and moved slowly over each breast. He wanted to cry out in rage over what she had been put through but his voice was soft and soothing. He reached toward her with his gentle touch, soothing words. The comfort of his arms as he let them encircle her naked body. He should have been crazy with lust, but instead he reached out with comfort and solace.

She jerked away and turned her head away. She hated this. She wanted to just leave. She didn't want this. She wanted to just die. This didn't feel good. Nothing felt good. She shivered. Her body tensed. She shut her eyes shivering. She wanted to rage at him to shove him to kill him to hurt him but she kept it bottled. She would leave tonight.

He lifted her from the tub, and gently dried her body. He saw her as the beauty she was, the scars not even registering in his mind. He brought her a clan shirt much as what she had worn before and helped her into it. He could see that she was very fragile and so he staid with her, not giving her the chance to crawl inward again. He sat in the chair and pulled her into his lap again, and wrapped an arm about her trembling body. "I will never hurt you. You are safe here." he said softly. He wished that she would give in to the tears that seemed just below the surface. He so much wanted to comfort her. He too was healing from pain and her presence was th efirst light he had seen in a long time. He just sat there holding her despite her turning her face from him.

She winced as he knew every part of her body. She leaned t him a bit as he sat with her in his arms and frowned. She looked out at the swamp. She just let her mind wander and take itself far away from her body. She was not here. She was not here. She just repeated over and over.

Roy was a patient man and it didn't hurt that he like this young woman. She was in almost every respect just what he wanted, no, what he needed. She was young and despite he wounds very fit, she was a real cajun girl, born in the swamp. If he could shake her out of this place where she was trying to hide, she knew what made him tick, as only a true Cajun girl could, and most important, whether she would give in and admit it she needed him. "If i get the guitar, will you sing for me again? You have such a lovely voice . "

Roy gently kissed her forehead and pull her head to rest on his shoulder, smoothing her hair with big hands, wrapping his arms around her protectively Hoping that if she must hide, she would hide herself in him and not try to run, or take her own life. Running he knew would amount to the same thing. Even if she took his little pirough it would take at least a week to paddle out, and that if she didn't get lost or fall overboard. Even knowing this part of the great swamp, Roy wouldn't attempt it. He held her and hoped that she would relax and maybe even sleep.

Roy went to the kitchen and poured another cup of coffee, then sat down across from her and picked up the guitar. "I don't know how to help you, but I sure want to little lady." He sat back in the chair and played the guitar and hummed along. It was no tune in particular just chords strung together and a quiet, constantly changing melody. After a while he said "you know your not a prisoner here, but please do me a favor, if you want to leave tell me, and I'll get you safely out of the swamp."

"I KNOW HOW TO LEAVE THE SWAMP." She growled looking at him baring her teeth meaner than a mother croc about to give birth. She curled in closer to herself and looked away and looked out the window and frowned. "I played along the swamp before I could damn near walk."

"I was born here too. I ain't stupid and I don't think you are. Least hope so. So tell me? how many days in are you? What's the shortest way out? Yeah you might make it out, You might be lucky, but in my experience its way better to be smart. What are you going to do? steal my boat? That's a fine way to treat someone who helped you. If I take you out, I can keep my boat. You aren't thinking straight. I'd just as soon get you out safe as have to recover a body later. But do what ever you want. Just don't say I didn't offer!" Roy was frustrated now and was actually beginning to think he didn't care. He got up and went to the bunk room and climbed in his hammock and closed his eyes.

She growled and stood up and moved forward and then pushed him hard. "Don't you fucking quiz me. And I don't fucking steal." She hissed. Pissed off she walked out of the houseboat and out into the swamp and just left. She was angry. She would return, but she was angry and needed space.

Roy didnt even bother to answer or react to her response. He knew it would serve no purpose. Without the boat, she wasn't leaving he knew it and she knew it. Iinstead he simply took a nap. It was a hot day. When he fell asleep he dreamed about his wife for the first time since the awful day she was lost.

Back
Top Bottom