Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Good PS2 Games?

how_is_you

Devil with a Heart of Iron
Alright, so the title pretty much explains itself. I bought a PS2 yesterday, and while I have a good selection of games, some more could only be good, right? I am open to suggestions, and anything you can give. Keep in mind that PSX (the original Playstation) games work as well.

Games that I already have:

- Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3
- Mortal Kombat: Deception
- Need for Speed: Most Wanted
- Soul Calibur 2
- SSX 3

You already have Soul Calibur 2.

So might I suggest.....

FFX and FFX-2 because everyone with a PS2 NEEDS to play them. XD
Fatal Frame 2: Crimson Butterfly. I'm a sucker for horror and this one is fantastic. It's part of the Fatal Frame franchise...so of course it's amazing!
Castlevania: Lament of Innocence. Just do it! Pretty graphics, lovely soundtrack. All around fun.
GTA: Vice City. It's classic GTA and fucking fun as hell.
Medal of Honor: Frontline. Now, I'm not one for FPSs, but the graphics are nice and the story is lengthy. Overall, it's damn good for what it is.
Medal of Honor: Rising Sun. Not as good as Frontline (a lottttt shorter), but still quality graphics and gameplay.
Kingdom Hearts because like FFX, it's a NEED if you have a PS2. Lol!

Thanks DA. Those all sound like fantastic suggestions. I can't pick all of them up, though, so I'll keep waiting for some more before I just hop into a store and chuck my paycheck at it lol

Definitely think I am getting Vice City and Castevania. Never been a big FF fan myself, but I can understand the reccomendation. :)

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Resident Evil 4
Onimusha Series
Shadow of Rome
Splinter Cell : Double Agent
Blood Will Tell
Tenchu series

Those are some of my favorite PS2 games.

Persona 3/4
DBZ Budokai Tenkaichi 2 and 3
Psychonauts
Timesplitters 2-3
Battlefront 2
War of the Monsters

Those are the ones I have the fondest memories of.

My suggestion:

Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne.

Just that one! If you are into RPGs, you'll love it.

Zone of the Enders:
Price: $$
Is really good if you're into Gundam (especially since the HD version is garbage)

The Megaman Anniversary and X collections:
Price: $/each
Are some of the best 8/16 bit games you can get

Odin Sphere:
Price: $$ can cost more if you're looking for it in a good condition
You will never find more gorgeous sprite work then from Vanillaware (and the girls in this game are super waifu material)

Devil May Cry 3 Special Edition
Price: $
Makes sure it's Special Edition, the normal version is stupidly hard if you're not into action games.

God Hand
Price: $$$
This one is also crazy tough, but charming as all hell

Spider Man 2 the movie the game
The web swinging is well worth the money

Simpsons Road Rage
It's Crazy Taxi with amazing Simpsons quotes

Simpsons Hit and Run
Same thing but with GTA

The Ratchet and Clank series
Amazing fun with all kinds of crazy weapons

Mortal Kombat Shaolin Monks
It's a retelling of MK2's plot, but it's a co-op beat'em up

Mortal Kombat Armageddon
Has one of the biggest rosters of MK heroes and villains, a MUST HAVE for any MK fan

Tekken Tag Tournament
One of the BEST Tekken games IMO

Yakuza
Price:$$$
A must have for anyone who is a fan of Japanese culture

PS2

Radiata Stories - Quirky and fun ARPG with two different story-lines to follow.

The Bouncer - Very early PS2 title from SquareEnix. Unique little beat-em up combat system; events in the story are seen through three different playable characters.

Shadow of the Colossus - One the most highly regarded games of all time. You're a boy killing giants to save the girl you love.

Okami - It's kinda like Zelda, but you're a goddess dog who uses a paint brush in battle.

Stella Deus: The Gate of Eternity - A decent little tactical, turn-based RPG. Has some outrageous attacks, and plenty of recruitable characters.

Front Mission 4 - Another tactical, turn based RPG, but this time with giant robots. I personally love the game, and you don't need to play the prior games in the series.

Romance of the Three Kingdoms - If you like strategy games, try any game from VII to XI. You build up cities, fight battles, have duels, and engage in debates.

Metal Gear Solid 2 - Kinda polarizing, but I personally enjoy this very very much.

Soul Calibur III - You have the second one, so try the third one. It has a pretty neat board-game style campaign, with a story focused on your created character.

Final Fantasy XII - People give this one shit, but I remember liking it. Decent combat system that allows you to experiment with AI behavior.

Rogue Galaxy - A very anime ARPG, but a fun game with a variety of different locations.

Mobile Suit Gundam: Federation vs Zeon - Pilot giant robots, and fight other giant robots.

Mobile Suit Gundam: Encounters in Space - Pilot giant robots, and fight other giant robots... in space! A much faster game than the other one listed.

Mobile Suit Gundam: Zeonic Front - Kinda clunky, but one of the finest Gundam games, and a very meticulously tactical game. Plan your assault by dictating where and when your AI allies will strike.

Def Jam: Fight for NY - Pretty fun fighting game with a hip-hop theme, and a story mode.

PSone - You'll probably have to hit Amazon or Ebay for some of these.

Brave Fencer Musashi - A very very strong ARPG with a world that felt amazingly alive for a PSone game.

Saga Frontier II - An RPG with a story that spans decades and more than one protagonist. Can be very challenging.

Final Fantasy Tactics - The title tells you what it is. One of my favorite games of all time.

Legend of Legaia - Very unique RPG battle system, where you chain marital arts moves together to create new combos and techniques.

Keep in mind, some of these games are expensive as all hell. I'm adding $ to my original post so you get a better idea on what games are easier to get.

Many thanks to all that have suggested stuff! There were some games I had entirely forgotten about that I have now been reminded of. :) Many thanks. Keep up the suggestions if you guys think of more!

Gonna second Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne. Very fun, challenging rpg that is not afraid to beat you down if you play it badly. however, beating a hard boss (looking at you matador... Mot too, you beast eye spamming fucker), it's exhilarating.

The digital devil saga duology is also grand, it's part of the same over branching series as nocturne, but it plays around with some of the tropes & is a little more story focused.

I will mention good game that was not mentioned from previous posters, which I would say under-rated

.hack//Series (Infection, Mutation, Outbreak, Quarantine) + .hack//G.U. (another 3 , total of 7 games)
Grandia III
Devil May Cry Series
Legacy of Kain Series (Soul Reaver 2, Blood Omen 2, and Soul reaver 1 in PS1 or PC)
Zone of the Enders
Silent Hill Series (if you like horror)
Bujingai, Forsaken City (If you like kungfu)
Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria
Megaman X8

Bloody Roar 3 is one of my favorite fighting games, I recommend.

Wild Arms 4 is a pretty good RPG.

Legend of Dragoon for PS1, another good RPG.

Pretty much everything else I like has been said in this thread already.

I don't know how much work you want to put into this, but I can't recommend FF12 IZJS enough. It was a asia-only re-release that redid the ENTIRE character growth system and expanded gambits into a useful tool instead of an annoying collectathon. I played it on an emulator (with a translation), but there's some free or incredibly low-cost ways to play burned games on the original hardware. Just read a guide for a slim PS2 that only requires a few strips of tape and some toilet paper to jam the cover sensor.

That being said, emulator is definitely the way to go. Rendering PS2 games in high res shows all kinds of hidden details you never noticed on a CRT, and FF12 in 4K looks like a PS3 game.

Is the translation integrated seamlessly, or is it kinda messy on the UI/menus? I can't stand when it looks like they just plopped some text down onto the UI/menus.

It might be the best 'translation patch' ever, as the great majority of the text is unchanged from vanilla, and the formatting is even nearly identical. Aside from a few abilities and errant menus, everything is the original, official square localization, dropped nearly unchanged into the files.

There's very little in the way of what I'd call 'new content', aside from the job system. Everything is just very streamlined and improved, on top of an already phenomonal game.

Going to have to check it out then; I've really been meaning to play through FFXII again. If I remember correctly, the Front Mission 5 fan translation was also pretty good.

I'd put out there that you might like,

Armored Core 3, For all your giant robot fighting needs
Castlevania, Curse of Darkness
The Ape Escape Games

Really no one has mentioned the Persona series yet? All 4 of them are fantastic games, though only persona 4 is actually on PS2 the others are PS1 titles

Golden is better if you haven't played Persona 4 before hand. 3 is better if you haven't played 4 already.

But yeah, the portable versions are the best versions.

Back
Top Bottom