Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Carnival: Shadows And Whispers Under The Big Top (Dane Stalling & darkangel76)

Albert's embrace was just as Sigi imagine—strong and with purpose. Yes, this man was ready for her and she knew he'd better be. After all, they had a lifetime together now and, as Bolond could easily attest, her appetite was practically insatiable. It drove her father wild, mad with rage as other eligible men looked on in drooling desire. Her mother had been more understanding and took the time to teach her the ways of taming the burn behind closed doors and hidden in dark shadows. The men folk didn't always understand the needs of women. That meant sometimes they needed to take such matters into their own hands.

Quite literally.

Her skin seared where Albert had taken the time to caress her leg. Without shame, Sigi wrapped it about his waist, his fingers trailing up along her spine and beginning their work on what seemed like an endless column of buttons. She couldn't help but giggle at what he'd find underneath. As his lips pressed against hers, she inched closer, her leg winding further about his waist. Her hands refused to remain still and she began clawing at the fabric covering up his body.

"Work faster on those buttons," Sigi urged, her teeth grazing along the shell of Albert's ear. "How can you be so slow after so much waiting, hrm?" She pulled back and gave him a coaxing glare, blue eyes sparkling in the dim candlelight.

Muffled whispers and chuckling could be heard through the walls of the trailer. But Sigi hardly cared. She'd made a name for herself as she grew up under the care of her parents. They could've left her to die in that frozen wood all those years ago, but instead, they'd opened their hearts and their home to her...an outsider...someone without Romani origin. She loved her clan all the more for accepting her as they had. Even Bolond. Poor Bolond. She sighed inwardly at the oafish man's loss. Still, she'd always known she was meant for better than the likes of him. Her mother had always known and it was clear that everyone else in her clan did as well.

Sigi pushed Albert back onto the bed. There was a slight rip of thread and fabric as he was shoved down against the plush blankets and pillows beneath them both. The dress began to hang slightly about her slender frame, the sleeves drooping about her shoulders, baring her flesh to his eyes as he looked up at her. She let the garment fall, no corset hidden beneath this wild dress. It had served its purpose and kept her form perfect before them all during the ceremonies. Now the fires were burning and she could hear those not listening in tending to them, making them grow higher and higher as they crackled and danced to the soft music outside.

Sigi's eyes glittered and she moved to straddle Albert, her tiny hands hiking the dress up. She was bare beneath, not an article of clothing to bar the way! It was wrong on every level and she'd have had it no other way. With a smile, she ground her hips against Albert, clothed beneath her aching body. "Jealous of me?" she asked, her voice thick with lust. "I think many men will be jealous of you."

~~~

How had she become so very fortunate? Ava could scarcely believe it, but she wasn't about to let it go. No. She'd hold on with all her might and fight for these feelings she'd just begun to taste. In the back of her mind, she saw her brother with the pretty golden girl. Just what had drawn him out across the river? Perhaps the music had lured him as well or he needed a diversion after the night prior's fiasco. Regardless, seeing him all smiles and laughter as his hands moved over that girl was enough to make her ache for a life of freedom, one that was truly her own, that she could live without fear.

Ava wondered if such a dream was possible or was it just a hopeful wish made by a girl who wished upon stars.

Clive's lips were warm against her own as he kissed her. His breath still sweet from their earlier treat she'd offered to share with him in her lonely trailer. Ava reached up and let her hands brush against his arms, firmly grasping his shoulders before moving to touch his face. His face. His eyes were full of such mystery, holding secrets to things she longed to learn yet she knew he'd spill them all at the mere mention of it. It humbled her knowing this, feeling such emotion poring from him rolling waves. They crashed against her, her body welcoming it all and burning to give him all he deserved.

"You know so much, yet so little," Ava whispered, her eyes glistening. She pressed her palm against Clive's cheek. "My brother would be furious if he saw you with me," she added, hoping he'd pick up on her hint. As a Sparrow, she never talked about her family, the past conspiracy or the dealings she endured with her brother. It had been part of the bargain, a means to keep the Starlings safe...but she was Starling no more. "I won't lose you when I've only just found you."

~~~

Magali glanced over her shoulder, her blue eyes immediately finding Szem's. She felt a small flutter as he spoke, but she refused to let it take hold. After all, she was captain of the Artemis! A notorious air pirate known throughout the region! She couldn't let a single comment affect her now, especially seeing as it came from that doctor's cavalry...infantry...whomever!

"I'll try my best to remember," Maggie said almost lazily, though her heart beat frantically and the urge to grip her sword's handle for comfort was strong. "But I make no promises." She continued her pace, hips swaying with each and every step. "Either way, you'll pay attention if I address you," she said with a sniff, platinum hair blowing in the hot breeze.

Maggie wished the sun would stop burning if even only for a moment. She felt utterly drenched in sweat and it only served to make her feel sluggish as she led the way back to her damaged ship. Once or twice, she was certain she caught Szem's eyes upon her, more than likely studying her, sizing her up and oh she'd be ready for the challenge! The man truly was a sharp eye per his word. That much had been made clear. It was easy to see why he earned himself such a name. Though she wondered if he was half as good with that rifle as he boasted. The very thought only added to her discomfort as the heat of the sun bore down upon the pair as they traversed the wastes toward the waiting Artemis.

As they walked, Maggie did her best to keep conversation short. This Szem had a quick tongue. He wasn't like the lackeys on her ship. Those men took her insults, worked all the harder whenever she whined. She cringed inwardly as she thought about Sam's earlier behavior. Her men were afraid of her, but not this Szem and that made him...intriguing.

Suddenly, Maggie stopped short. Szem had spoken up about another, about Cordelia. She turned on her heel and marched up to the man, her hands dropping to their sides as they balled into fists. She noticed that the sharp shooter looked away from her as she approached. Something about that suddenly angered her, though she knew it should not.

"More beautiful, eh?" Maggie shrieked. "I can perhaps give you leeway on the courtesy," she went on, eyes narrowing. "I'm a pirate, a captain!" She was seething. "I demand respect! But..." she was fighting for words, staring straight at Szem as he dared to boldly speak as no man ever did with her. "More beautiful?" She took a step back and smirked, her insides slowly withering. "You won't have to worry about feminine wiles, Sharp Eye Szem. I've none that desire to lure you." At that she gave him a wink and turned back around so that she wouldn't have to face him.

Maggie felt her breath catching in her throat as she stomped off. She didn't even bother turning around to see if Szem followed. Promises had been exchanged and if there was any sense of honor, then she was sure the man would at least tend to her ship. But it ended there! It had to! Didn't it? So what if he was bold and forthright and...the only one to ever stand up to her and make her feel something she hadn't in ages—small.

"Loves you?" Maggie whispered mostly to herself, shaking her head. "I've plenty who love me...plenty." Though she didn't believe a single word.

~~~

Ginny felt her skin grow warmer by the second as Chins sung his little song. When he finally turned her around, she was utterly astonished by what she saw looking back at her in the mirror. She gasped softly before letting the softest of giggles pass over her freshly painted lips. Looking at Chins, she shook her head and smiled.

"I am speechless, kind sir," Ginny stated plainly, her dark eyes expressing their gratitude. If her parents saw her in such a state, she knew she'd be disowned! And then there were all her friends at the church! They would be aghast if they saw her now! But there was a thrill knowing she was doing something so harmless yet so utterly shameful...and all to please a clown! A sweep of heat reddened her cheeks just then. "Thank you for this moment," she added. "I never imagined I'd get to play such a role if only for an evening." It was an admission, a glimpse into the sordid mind she kept well hidden from all.

Ginny glanced at the costumes displayed before her, her eyes immediately drawn to the one glittering with hues of blue. Her hand reached out and she let her fingers run over the exquisite material.

"Do you think this one would suit me?" Ginny asked as she pulled the garment off the rack. It had a plunging neckline and glittered like the spectacular costume it was. It was something meant to be seen. "If you say it does, then I shall wear it immediately."

~~~

Lips locked, exploring, tasting, Cassie almost was unaware of the brawl...almost. Mairon was the one and only thing that seemed able to distract her as he made her senses go wild. His fingers left a trail of fire in their wake as they caressed her leg, holding her close as her body pressed firmly against his. When they pulled away, she felt breathless, though she remained the picture of calm.

With a glint in her mysterious, dark eyes, Cassie nodded in a direction over Mairon's shoulder and smiled. "The door is that way," she started. "I noted it before speaking to the farmhands." Her tone was light, but the huskiness was unmistakable. "No matter where I go, trouble tries to pursue." Her eyes remained fixed on his, her hands teasing the ends of his hair. "But somehow I think you don't mind. Somehow, I think you're the one man clever enough evade it." Her smile grew and she leaned forward for another quick taste, his scent permeating her senses and making her dizzy. "Let's go before it finds me here."

~~~

Without word or protest, Campbell let Mojo spread her thin legs wide. Her skirt had already fallen up around her waist and it was clear he wasn't about to waste time. Good. She was glad of that and expected nothing less from her new boss. His hands were firm and deliberate, his face determined as he moved forward, head moving between her thighs. Curious, she watched him as he let his mouth do its work.

"Oh my stars!" Campbell shouted out, her hands gripped the blankets beneath her. "Whatever you just did, boss..." her voice trailed and she bit down on her bottom lip. Never had she felt such pleasure course through her. Tiny shivers made their way over her skin and she felt herself ignite from within. Not even her own nimble fingers had created these sensations...not once! "Do that again!" She was pleading, not demanding, her heading bobbing forward as her hair fell in front of her face. "I might feel the Earth shift yet!"

~~~

"At first light," Felicity promised, her words hurried, but sincere. She immediately moved to get her robe per Callum's instructions. As she slipped one arm in a sleeve, she heard the doctor enter on the other side of the curtain. She shivered slightly knowing just how close they'd come to being discovered, but fortune had smiled upon them both.

Felicity listened to the doctor as he spoke, his words so sterile compared to that of her sweet Cal. She slipped her other arm into the robe and pulled it tightly about her slim body, tying the band about her waist. She wished Cal didn't have to go, that he could stay and hold her just a little longer. But that wasn't meant to be. Not now. She had to wait until first light.

Just then, the doctor came around to check on her. "Oh yes," Felicity stated. "The experiment was quite acceptable." She thought on how gentle Cal's hands were as he touched and probed, not just studying her, but enjoying and learning, completely enthralled with how her body reacted. The very idea that this cold man wanted him to touch other women in such a way sent a pang of worry and sadness coursing through her veins. She hated this predicament and wished neither of them had to suffer it. "I am more than willing to continue. Cal is a wonderful apprentice. You should be pleased."

Pleased was hardly the word. Felicity ached for him. She longed to be in Cal's arms as he held her, speaking sweet things as he kept her close. But all she had now was...first light.

"If you don't mind, sir, I'd like to head back to my trailer with Rhianna." Felicity gave the doctor a smile as she slowly swung her legs over the side of the cot. "I'd like to freshen up and perhaps see the shows later on tonight."

All those damn buttons! Albert unbuttoned them as fast as he could, but they were delicate and tiny. He was finally finding the trick to popping the buttons through their loops when Sigi lost patience with him and pushed him down into the nest of pillows. His fingers had a grip on one of the loops and he felt five or six buttons pop off as he fell. It didn't seem to bother Sigi though. She let the dress fall away from her breasts and he leaned in to kiss what the dress revealed. It would just be a matter of dispensing with his breeches and her underthings and they would be dancing the only dance that could catch his interest at any hour of the day.

He couldn't remember ever bedding a more enthusiastic woman. There had been fiery Alyona in the steam boat. She could drown out the whistle on that vessel with her cries. And little Polina, who could bounce him for hours, it seemed. But Sigi's open and voracious appetite for him sparked a tiny flame of apprehension in his breast. What if she wore him out before the carnival left at the end of the week? He might make his escape, but it would be with his head low. It would affect his work on the wire, he was sure, and how would he woo the next sweet box of honey then?

But such melancholy thoughts were never long-lived in Albert's mind, much to his relief. He found himself profoundly distracted when he saw that Sigi had no underthings on at all. She had danced carelessly, tossing her skirts like the other gypsy girls. He felt a great warmth for her rise up in him, and more rose than that. She pressed herself against his hardness and he struggled to get his breeches out of the way. He couldn't find the buttons, then remembered that these were held up with ties. He knotted them accidentally, and wasted precious moments as she rocked herself over him as he fumbled the ties.

Finally, he managed it and pushed the blasted pants down and away. He got the tip of his cock to where he could knock on Sigi's slippery doors.

"Finally," he gasped, "We'll make them all jealous. Every last one."

----

"Your brother..." Clive searched Ava's eyes. Every suspicion he had crafted fell into its place. Albert was no more her husband than he was. Less so-- Albert was her brother. There were secrets here that needed exploring. Ava was giving him trails of crumbs and he would not fail to collect each one. And what of Albert's anger? He did not think to fear violence from the wirewalker, though he had humiliated him on more than one occasion. Dealing with Ava, though, may be a matter much more serious than coins and jests. He would need eyes trained on the Sparrow trailer, and soon.

"Oh Ava," he said, kissing her palm, "I shudder to think of the tragedies that must have made you pretend to be your brother's wife, and such a dishonored wife as well. He has been a poor husband, even as a fiction, and an uncharitable brother. Does he not see the jewel I see in front of me?"

Clive's mind traveled through possibilities. If the marriage was a fiction, he knew there must be others, for fictions travel in flocks like birds. It spoke of a desperate escape, and an escape meant, most probably, an alias.

"Pray, Ava, answer me a question," Clive said carefully, "Do I know your true name? I would not dishonor you by whispering a false name to my love. Even if I must call you false when others hear, I wish to name you true when we speak as we are now."

----

Szem almost ran into the pirate woman when she wheeled suddenly on him.

"You won't have to worry about feminine wiles, Sharp Eye Szem. I've none that desire to lure you."

And then one of those infernal winks. What did they mean? Each one made his heart beat faster. Even the flashing of her eyes when she yelled at him stabbed some piece of him that loved to be pierced. If she had swung her sword, he would have bared his breast. He responded proudly though, if clumsily.

"Well good then," he said, flustered. It was hot on the road and he felt his own face flushed. The pirate's skin had a sheen of sweat as well, and the cloth of her loose white shirt clung to her intriguingly in places. He saw her bosom sway with each gesture. He struggled to keep his sharp eyes on hers. "You can have your loves a-plenty. I've no care for your bust or the swing of your... sword. I've taken no notice of you at all except for the charge of my employer. Besides, I am no admirer of golden hair, no matter how silky or fragrant or how it flies in the breeze. My Cordelia's locks are raven."

He thought then that his talk of Cordelia may put her in some jealous danger of the pirate. Who knew of what mischief the woman was capable? "I have left her in the care of my friend, a deadly swordsman, so think not on harming her."

----

Chins ran his fingers over the liquid blues of the dress. It was magnificent. "You'll wear the ocean, sweet Ginny, and the sky. This is a blue dress with a history, but there's a tale for later, sweet. Let's get you inside it."

Chins turned her to admire herself further in the mirror and began unbuttoning her blouse from the back.

"Stay still, pretty, we've no shame in our dressing rooms, and hiding's a crime when beauty's your secret."

He removed her top and skirt, his touch light, treating her as a sister of the carnival with his hands, but his eyes saw her with more than brotherly affection. He removed the brassiere that confined the treasure he was most keen to sample, but he dropped the liquid fabric of the blue dress over her form with a small sigh of regret before he was too tempted to change the plan.

The fit was remarkable. The dress seemed to be made for Ginny, for her to walk in, to turn in. Chins could think of six ways to tear it off of her if the occasion warranted.

"You're a vision," he said, running the tips of his fingers along the plunging neckline. "I've had dreams of a woman in this dress, and I never knew her name until now. Some dreams are cold and wishful, but dreams of you clothed in sea and sky wake up wet and smelling of mushrooms."

He tipped a perfume bottle over, his finger over the opening, and dabbed Ginny's neck under her ears. "Here's a treat for any clown that buries his face in your neck tonight," he said, "And who buries a bone in the fragrant earth between your knees. But let's walk now. I've scores of things I wish to show you, and one in particular."

----

Mairon skipped by the brawl, Cassidy's hand in his, dodging the huge scrambling legs and arms of the farm hands, and managing to contribute a few well-placed kicks into the general confusion.

"Trouble chases you," he said as they skipped into the street and stopped for a moment, "And I'm chasing you too. I wonder what kind of trouble you'll find me?"

He slid his hand over her bottom and kissed her in the middle of the street as a chair broke through the tavern window and shattered into the street.

"You're delicious trouble for my part," he said, smiling, and set off up the street toward the market at a jog. "Let's see if purses are heavier where wares are for sale and coin flows like rivers."

----

"I might feel the Earth shift yet!" Campbell yelled, and Mojo redoubled his efforts. The scent of the slim girl made him giddy and light. She tasted of an ale he remembered from a forgotten town and the spice leaves of a lime tree. He wouldn't need dessert after all.

He felt his own cock bumping dumbly against the side of the bed. The round-headed fool knew the scent of a slippery home. Mojo slipped a finger inside his new apprentice and played at her insides. "Where's your joy hiding, pretty? Let's see if we can find it."

Mojo felt Campbell's every bump and quiver. He played her quick and smooth, rough and leisurely. He tasted every drop, every crease and fold of her, and he memorized the longing songs she made with each curl of his finger.

----

The Doctor stood, listening, paying attention to the scents in the tent. Callum had not used any of the lotions with fragrance, opting to take a more pure approach. The boy understood science. Removing variables was a clearheaded instinct.

"Excellent. I am glad that you see fit to continue with us. I am pleased with Callum. He has a number of skills that I find lucrative and useful in the Carnival. I have high hopes for him."

The Doctor paced a few steps, gathering his thoughs, then turned and faced Felicity. "You will be the test subject for new devices that Callum has designed. I have seen and approved his designs, but it is necessary to test such devices before bringing them to use among the public. You will provide Callum with necessary information and help him tune and adjust his devices. I'm sure you understand the responsibility you carry. Hundreds of women will be affected by the decisions you help us make in this tent. You could do a great deal of good for the women we treat, Felicity, or a great deal of damage. Please take care to speak plain and clear as you give him your impressions."

"You are dismissed. I was unexpectedly detained this afternoon, or I would have supervised today's sessions. You will be pleased to know that I will be present tomorrow to oversee the research. This is a very exciting time for the science of medicine. We are on the cusp of eradicating female hysteria forever."

He performed a stiff half-bow, his hands behind his back, and turned to leave by the back-flap of the tent.

----

Callum stumbled as quickly as he could to his trailer. He found the sketches he had traced out and began collecting brass pipe, gears, cranks, tiny axles and bushings. He had little time to succeed, and none to waste. He collected the rough parts for his hysteria device into a large leather satchel and limped to Filo's trailer.

The blacksmith was not there, but Callum had a guess where he could find the man, and he was not disappointed to discover him sleeping next to Cordelia in her trailer, his hand on her breast. He knocked discreetly.

"Filo, man," he said, kicking his boot, "Wake, I've a work for you and there's not time for dallying."

Filo woke and jumped at the sight of Callum's monstrous face. "Deities, Cal," he said, rubbing his eyes, "you're a rude ending to a pleasant dream."

Callum laughed. "This face is a strong tonic, though, I'll wager. Useful for getting the cobwebs out. Come now- we need speed and skill. I'm on the Doctor's business."

Filo stoked the fires in his work trailer and as the coals heated he sat down and looked at Callum's sketches for the device.

"All this fuss for an egg-beater?" he said, tracing the motions of the gears with his finger. "This bullet tipped pipe will shake awful. Why's the axle mounted skew? I can make it true so it makes neither noise nor motion."

Callum nodded. "Aye, Filo, but we're not after silence. In fact, we're after some fair amount of noise, and this little prod should be the beginning of it. I need three of them, the measurements are here. The outer shaft is to be hollow and absolutely smooth on the outside, not a screw or a rivet exposed. I expect no stresses of any note on the outer shell, so make it light and thin, but it must not allow water or any liquid to enter."

Filo shrugged and pulled a brass pipe from Callum's bag. "I can begin with this. It will be hot in here, and noisy."

Callum shrugged. Noisy he was used to, and he felt as though he was burning up inside anyway, with desperation, with sweet heat and anguish. "I'll work here. You've better light here than my tinker trailer."

Callum fitted the inner workings of his hysteria probe together with nimble fingers as Filo made the metal glow. Callum soaked three bushings in mineral oil, and fitted bearings on shafts, gears to drive the skew axle. Each one of the inner workings he made slightly different, one with a mild skew, one with a heavier axle. The sun set as they worked and the fires of the furnace lit the trailer with the light of the underworld. Callum built a single crude stand for the devices. There was no time to make it beautiful. He thought as he worked that it seemed a shame to make a device which did the same as his fingers. It would deprive him of the joy of the heat of Felicity's body. He still had first light to look forward to, though. At least one more chance to touch her, to practice the deep palpitations.

There was no name for the device. Callum let his mind wander along those lines for a while, but was always dissatisfied. "Hysteria engine" seemed cold, though it would be to the Doctor's liking, he supposed. "Wobble rod" made him smile, a silly name, "Womb stimulator" seemed wrong somehow. He shrugged to himself as he finished assembling the support and satisfying himself that it was stable and strong.

"Well," Filo said, finally, when it was nearly midnight, "Here are your bullet tubes, though I cannot fathom what the doctor would want with them."

They were beautiful, buffed to a mirror shine. Callum took one and fitted the bushing in the tip with long tweezers, then slipped the inner works in carefully. The base of the tube fitted beautifully with the holding plate of his works. He put two tiny screws in the end of the device to lock it tight together, then he gave the crank a few experimental turns. The machine worked smoothly, and the long tube vibrated subtly. He cranked faster and the vibrations became more pronounced. It was working.

"Hey," Filo said, snickering, "If there were a brass man, that would be the perfect cock for him..."

The smile fell slowly from his face and was replaced with awakening understanding. "Holy fires and mines, that's what it is! You're making little metal furkers for the Doctor!"

Callum cranked a little longer. "You've guessed it, Filo, but it's secret still. You can't breathe it to a soul. The Lady Stella is putting her gold behind the work, and I'll tell the Doctor of your part in it. There'll be no small weight of coin for your work tonight."

Filo picked up one of the gleaming tubes and held it up to the light of the furnace, then he turned away from Callum and opened his pants, compared the thing to his own manhood. He put himself back into his pants and shrugged, turning around. "You're going to need some bigger," he said with a grin spreading across his face. "I'll get to work on it."

Filo's behavior puzzled Callum, but the odd statement was lost in his excitement and relief. He had his machines for tomorrow and he would be able to keep his promise to Felicity. He wrapped the three devices in a piece of soft felt and put them into his bag.

"Good night, Filo, and thank you. I'll have more work for you on the morrow, I'm sure." He set off through the darkness, his limp strong with fatigue, but his heart was light. He felt a premonition of discovery. Something new was on his horizon, and he had but to watch and wait to find it.

Back
Top Bottom