Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

SAMOK (EveningSky & G23)

Samantha could hardly believe her ears when Brandon asked Ezra about the Harley's. Practically asking to join the Sons, their father would have a fit if he ever caughtwind of Brandon's request. Her brown eyes glared at the the winking boy "Don't encourage him" she mouthed starting up the truck. Brandon and Chase waved to Ezra as their sister backed the truck out, making a U-turn, heading back down the short road that led onto the highway. The boys staring out the windows at the large expanse of fields, the exhaustion from their playground adventure evident with their drooping lids.

By the time the red truck pulled up to the Beckett house it had been noon and both Chase and Brandon were fast asleep. Samantha lifted the boys one by one, taking them to their room to rest.

Passing her parents bedroom she called out "We're home"

"Leave the things in the truck" Her father shouted in response

Samantha stepped into their room, removing her boots and bands, letting her hair down from the confines of it's bun. Her king sized bed sat to the far end of the room, against lilac coloured walls. She made her way onto the balcony, pushing open the large glass doors. Her room overlooked the south side of the estate. Far off In the distance the bright yellow could be seen, the colour that marked the Beckett and Willowfoot borders. So close yet so far.

Monday morning rolled in, quicker than most students hoped. The hallways of Wilmington high school packed with bustling teenagers trying to get to class on time. Samantha skated into homeroom at the last minute, her friend Tiffany chuckling at her friends antics.

"Not funny" she grinned, taking her seat. Third row, second desk down.
The weather had been crazy all night, raining heavily then suddenly stopping. Samantha thanked the heavens that the rained eased long enough for her to bike to school.

Samantha's homeroom teacher was just about to call roll when a soaked Ezra stuck his head into the room. "I need to borrow three of the guys if I can sir. Emergency in the little gym."

The teacher nodded and Ezra chose three farmboys he knew well and off they went.

THe three gyms were officially divided by title. The Beckett Stadium was the indoor arena sized monster where all basketball and other court games took place, and where all the public events were held. With stadium seating, three well stocked concession stands, a mass of of bathrooms, four large lockerooms complete with showers, bathrooms, and meeting areas that double as rest areas, and in house wellness center, with medical and therapy staff on call, and a public access weight room and aerobics gym, matched with a physical therapy center. It was the pride and joy of the city and all three counties and was well known for being able to comfortably hold some fifty thousand fans if needed.

The smaller gym/arena was the Wilimington Rotary Arena. It nearly matched the Beckett Stadium in size, capabilities and capacity, but was not quite as grand an affair, nor as modern. It was still very popular for tournaments, but without the public amenities it was quickly losing what little popularity it had, and was quickly becoming the preferred practice gym for all court sports.

The smallest gym was the official practice gym. It was divided into three wings, surrounding the combat center where the schools very new boxing program was beginning, along with the unofficial MMA program. Football and the other turf sports shared an indoor turf hall, while basketball ruled it's court but graciously allowed the others to practice, and the baseball players batted, pitched, slid, and worked themselves to a lather alongside the golf drivers and the track runners. It was complex and usually crowded but was actually the most modern and impressive of the three, only two years old and had every luxury, amenity, and need for sportsplayers for their private use, and a whole staff dedicated to the mental and physical health of the student athletes, including personal trainers, physical therapists, and nutritional experts. Wilmington took their sports very seriously and had produced numerous stars for college and the pros in every conceivable sport.

The problem with the new building is that it had been built, for tax reasons the mayor claimed, by a Arizona contractor. It was cool and very solid but the hash rains and the high winds from the storms, especially the tornadoes, had proven to much for the roofs of all three wings. The Becketts had been brought in to fix all three but were still in the midst of fixing the roof of the reception area/combat center. Now with the high rains yet another flaw had been found and was leaking heavily onto the brand new ring.

Ezra lead his team up onto the roof, where three others had brought in three huge tarps. Ezra kicked off his shoes, tied a corner of the tarp to his belt, then climbed onto a scaffold pipe and crawled along it over the glass of the sunroof then hung from his knees as he tugged the tarp into place, then caught the tossed corners of the next two until they were heavily overlapped, with their runs leading into rain ports. The rain only picked up as Ezra came down, thanked the boys just as the maintenance guys arrived with a smaller, and much older single tarp. Ezra rolled his eyes and lead the others away, grabbing his shoes. He and the guys had borrowed unused tarps from the Beckett worksite.

He went and changed, then as ordered once his actions were reported was sent to speak to the principal and the foreman of the Beckett workforce. He gave honest answers and thanked the Beckett man for his resources, but was usurprised when Principal Micheal Conklin decided to call in his parents.

This of course created a school wide scandal, with everyone calling "Correct Conklin" an even bigger idiot than usual. A stickler for rules and an utter coward, Conklin was all but useless in any event and was usually ignored by everyone. Ezra sat in his office calmly until Thomas and Fauna arrived. They went right for their son. Fauna grabbed him and despite her tummy yanked him into an awkward hug. "Don't you ever do that again! You could have slipped and killed yourself!"

Ezra nodded once he could breath. "Yes ma'am."

Thomas glared at his son. "Why?"

"The rain was ruining the brand new ring and it was weighing down the sun roof which was creaking. The Becketts haven't gotten to that yet. The school hasn't bought a new tarp since you were here Dad. So we borrowed the tarps to save the workers trouble and time, and to save the ring which can't be moved. I never put a toe on the glass and made sure the scaffold was solid and could hold me before I tried. Still sorry for scaring you mom."

Thomas nodded then turned on Conklin. "Sounds like a fair explanation to me. What's your problem?"

"Well your child broke a number of school rules with-"

Fauna hiccuped then belched. She blushed and covered her mouth. "Pardon me. But so what? did anyone get hurt or anything get damaged?"

"No. But the rules are very clear. i must give your son several detentions and-"

"Why?" Thomas' face was motionless, his eyes ice cold.

"Well...to ensure discipline."

Thomas' eyes narrowed. "Ezra."

"Sir?"

"Would you do it again?"

"Absolutely sir."

"Even if I punished you?"

"Absolutely sir."

"Why?"

"Because letting something break simply because it is easier than fixing or protecting it is stupid."

"Sounds disciplined to me. Now you have wasted my time, delayed my day's work, and prevented my son from attending class."

Ezra spoke up. "he has the others waiting in the outer office sir."

Thomas' eyebrows rose. "So you are intentionally preventing students from attending classes? And then you expect to punish them for protecting school property? Doesn't sound like a good way to ensure school spirit to me. Or discipline. Obeying rules and controlling one self is a fine thing. But willingly allowing destruction. Don't think so. So no. i think instead a reprimand for my son and the boys from this office, but the gratitude from the school, as long as my son and the others thank the Becketts for the use of their tarps, and pay for the use and replace any if damaged. Ezra?"

"The tarps might be expensive but alright."

Thomas and glowered at Conklin who withered and nodded.

Five minutes later Ezra came out of one of the locker rooms in new fresh clothes. he hand the wet ones to his mother. "Sorry mom." She smiled and kissed him then set off for the car. Ezra nodded to his father. "Sorry Dad. I didn't think even Conklin would call you in for this. I-" He flinched as the sound of shattering glass then ripping canvas echoed through the halls. Both WIllowfoots rushed toward the sound.

Back in the smallest gym the sunroof had cracked and collapsed, spilling gallons of water down onto the now ruined ring, along with the shreds of the tattered old tarp. Ezra growled. "The idiot made them replace the old tarps anyway!"

Thomas nodded shaking his head. "There's stupid then there's Conklin. You go to class. I'll handle this."

That evening while Ezra was in practice, the whole town was in uproar that Conklin had been so stupid and were crying for his head, while the Beckett men were forced to cobble together a temporary patch while the storm continued.

Many students gathered on their lunch break, to get a personal look at the disaster in the gym. The glass littered the floor in abundance, school janitors currently working to clear the debris away. An announcement echoes through the P.A system of the entire school. Warning students of the incident and declaring the gym a no entry zone till all the necessary repairs were made.

Rumours had been throughout about Ezra Willowfoot's daring stunt. Some of the boys calling it false, until the two farm boys corroborated the story. Which only helped in further fueling Ezra's fan girls into believing he was indeed. Ezra, the invincible.

Tiffany dropped her tray on Samantha's table, causing the blonde girl to roll her eyes in annoyance.

"I have the juiciest news"

Samantha perked up, always loving the latest gossip. "Tell me everything"

"So, you know how Ezra played superman trying to save the gym."

Samantha could not help the smile that broke on her face "Yeah.."

Tiffany took her fork, twirling the pasta "Well Mr Conklin threw a fit and was gonna expel him" she ate the helping of pasta, pointing her bare fork at Samantha as she spoke in an animated fashion "He called in Ezra's parents, who also threw a fit. Whole thing exploded, Mhm. Heard the gym is mister Mr Conklin's fault"

"Why would he want to punish Ezra for trying to help?" Expelling Ezra was a bit too much in Samantha's opinion.

Tiffany shrugged, sucking on her straw. "Beats me, you know Mr Conklin had always been weird like that."

Samantha rolled her eyes "Like the time he announced to the whole school during class time that Willy Tomlinson didn't flush the boy's bathroom."

"Your dad's here probably fixing everything"

Samantha nodded "As usual..."

Mr Conklin had truly been a mystery to them all. Their joke of a principal. Michael Conklin had been on the borderline of an idiot and a bully. Crossing him meant having a hard time in school. Samantha however never faced his wrath, especially with all the trouble she got up too in her freshman year. Everyone knew it was because of her last name. Some hated her for it, others joined her circle for its benefits.

" So you decided to threaten the boy..." Sean let out an exasperated sigh.

"If that boy fell from the roof they would ALL wanted my head" Conklin slammed his fist against the large oakwood desk in his office.

"Conklin you replaced the tarp, this is your fault. There is not much I can do for you"

"Oh really?" He smirked "I could easily tell the board of education about your little payoffs..."

Sean narrowed his eyes "Are you threatening an officer of the law?"

Conklin scoffed "Let's be real here, you haven't been following the law since your daughter started attending this school." His eyes met the second Beckett brother standing all prim and proper in his uniform "I won't be surprised if there's more skeletons in your closet. You know if I'm replaced the next in line may not be as willing."

Sean Beckett eyed the man with contempt. As much as he deposited Conklin, he had been right. Fuck.

"I'll make sure you keep your job" he glared at the idiot of a man "Only for my daughter...you got that?"

"Loud and clear..."

Sean Beckett and Michael Conklin had a simple agreement. One that principal followed like clockwork. When it came to Samantha Conklin was paid to look the other way. He knew things about the pretty little blonde that even her father did not. Keeping Samantha Beckett's record clean for a price had been the easy. Michael Conklin would fatten his bank account and the girl would be a clean slate for any Ivy league college. His job also included padding her grades, making her look absolutely perfect on paper. Sean knew Conklin could ruin him for bribery, not to mention grade padding had been illegal.

Word travelled quickly across town. By the time school had been over and sports practice well on its way many people had gathered in front the school. Ready for a piece of Michael Conklin. The rain held up.for a few hours allowing the angry parents and citizens of Wilmington to stand in hoards in the parking lot discussing the situation among themselves.

"Everyone just stay back!" Sean Beckett kept his grip on Michael Conklin's arm as he led the man to a police car waiting outside the school. Many towns people gathered, demanding the principal pay for his careless actions.

"What if my child had been in there!" A parent yelled

"The man doesn't care about the safety of our kids"Another chimed in.

"He's a moron!" Two more agreed

With the angry mob ready to behead principal Conklin, it was Sean's duty as deputy chief to handle such matters. The man himself wanted to wring Conklin's neck. Samantha could have been in the line of fire when the glass roof came crashing down. Conklin was in no shape to be principal of the legendary Wilmington high school. Despite Sean's personal feelings towards the clown of a man, he had a job to do.

He shoved Conklin in the police car, making sure the man hit his head on the way in. "Get him home" he patted the top of the car, watching as The two officers drove away safely.

Sean Beckett took a deep breath before turning to the crowd "We'll investigate what happened today, until then Michael Conklin remains as principal. Trust me...Your children are safe, this was just bad judgment on his part."

"Go home" he urged "Sit with your children, have a nice meal and enjoy the rest of the night. This mess will be sorted and everything back to normal by next week" Sean Beckett easily claimed the crowd with his charisma and reputation for always standing by what was right.

Samantha sat in the stands, watching the boys practice when her dad walked up.

"Let's go kiddo."

"But, I was riding home"

"Not in this weather Samantha. God alone knows when it'll start raining again. "

Samantha groaned grabbing her things. She wanted to ask Ezra about the incident earlier. She took one more look at the field before leaving with her father. There is always tomorrow.

Tomorrow came and left, Samantha never spoke to Ezra. The storm and the incident with the gym created lot of tension between the Beckett's and the Indians. Some accusing Sean Beckett of protecting Michael Conklin because of race. Two storms were taking over Wilmington. One that sent rain, flooding the streets and trees falling into roads. The other an emotional storm between the oldest feud in Wilmington history.

Sean was proven prophetic. Five minutes into the drive home he and his daughter were caught in a massive rain storm so thick everyone was forced to slow to a mere 15 miles per hour even on the finely paved roads where 70 mph was the limit. The rain dragged on, growing thicker and thicker until a full nine inches had fallen on the three counties by the end of the second day, and the flood reaction plans were being put in place. The Becketts were unable to work on the destroyed sun roof, and Conklin was getting death threats now for his stupidity.

Throughout all this Ezra went to school but avoided classes going to the basketball court with the rest of his team and practicing all day. Even these rather mad farm boys wouldn't dare play on the rain soaken football field, especially as the rain was still so thick even on foot visibility was less than twenty feet.

All this thick rain muffled sound beautifully, including a rather distant thunder storm, which dropped nine massive funnels over a thirty mile radius, three of which became tornadoes, an F-3, and F-4, and even the dreaded F-5. By chance or the blessing of the Divine no one was currently at home in the area, though several dozen homes were utterly destroyed, and whole stretches of road were ripped apart. All this went on north of Wilmington as the students went to school, though no one even knew about it until a news helicopter spotted the tops of the funnels and began screaming out reports and alerts.

These finally reached Wilmington just before 3 Pm Tuesday. Ezra and the others were told to remain where they were as the rest of the school was evacuated to the three windowless wings of the practice gym or into the basements of the other gyms, or into the locker rooms and interior bathrooms. Samantha and her friends were effectively dragged into defunct male bathroom and pushed against the wall and told to hit the position. The girls and their teacher knelt and pressed their faces to the floor their hands clasped over their necks.

The warnings came just in time and the evacuation, performed by life long citizens of what the United States called Tornado Alley, was completed in a fraction of the expected time. many parents would find children with bruises and complaints of rough treatment in the following days, but that ceased to be a concern as less than three minutes after the evacuation was completed the F-5 tornado cut south hard and fast and struck Wilmington High School full force. Cars were crushed under the weight of debris, or hurled miles away, every window and piece of glass in the building shattered, cracked, or broke outright with the immense pressure, the scaffolding, tarps, and makeshift cover over the former sunroof were ripped away and never seen again, trees were ripped up by the roofs and sent spearing into the the building itself. Bricks were yanked free of their mortar and cascaded to the ground and landing like the most lethal hailstorm ever all over the city. The funnel itself, as if not yet satisfied slapped across the Beckett Stadium, which did not react, built intentionally to withstand even this the Hand of God. The funnel actually screamed as if truly angered by the act, the wail filling the whole school, then it bounced and leapt fully over the school and landed in the football field, tearing the stands to ruins, ripping the field posts up and away, while the length of the turf was torn up by the roots and shredded in the melee of the funnel's innards. This seemed to sooth the funnel as it began to dissipate dropping it's seemingly endless content into the mud that had once been the football field. Cars, trucks, the steeple of a church, telephone poles, three separate electrical towers, and more brushes, trees, shreds of turf, asphalt, and concrete than could be easily numbered buried themselves in the mud.

More were found flung all over the city, including a car, that belonged to Tiffany, that was found, unharmed, on the roof of the local public library. Bricks were thrown into windows and walls throughout the area, as were many trees and poles, and a twisted field goal post was discovered speared through the roof and one wall of the home of Micheal Conklin, Head Principal at Wilmington High.

The school itself suffered little actual damage as the funnel had broken up the rain storm as well, and once it was confirmed they were clear and it was safe to come out the students left their hidey holes for a count, while most of them set to the clean up already. Ezra fought his way to a phone first and called home to find that his family was fine, the property was safe, though they had several new trees and the remains of five cars on the property, and that he was the proud big brother of a new sister named Nicole. With this, and the news that the road home was flooded, he set to work cleaning up while the school became the shelter for the trapped or homeless in minutes, soon afterwhich he was promised a bed.

Grateful he found a team, the same boys who had helped him the day before, and started with plastic sheeting staple guns and tape sealing off the ruined windows. The actual glass had been another call by Conklin as actual glass was cheaper than the shatter proof safety glass or plastic that had been recommended. Ezra and the others made note of this and were very careful to gather up all the glass they could.

This and many other cost cutting tricks of Conklin's were discovered soon after the storm, and the hard feelings against him only grew throughout the city and three counties. Conklin was entirely unaware of this as he was trapped in his own storm shelter for a full week before anyone bothered to go find and help him. he had plenty of food, water, and sanitation possibilities but the solitude did little to repair his already unpleasant personality.

Oklahoma faced a storm of the Century. Mother nature paying a visit to all three counties. Tearing up the very livelihoods of many citizens. Taking back what it owned. The mayhem started simply with rain, the citizens unaware of what laid wait. Harsh winds and signs of the usual thunderstorm quickly turned to the most feared and violent atmospheric storms, the tornado.

It had been too late for evacuation of schools and most workplaces when Wilmington got the news of the incoming visitor. Everyone did their best to move to safer parts of their current location. The organization Tornado Alley fortunately had enough time to get all students of Wilmington high school to safe locations. Evacuating everyone from the main building, away from windows and into windowless areas of the school.

Samantha and others that were preparing for ballet practice in the fine arts and entertainment wing were corralled into a male bathroom that had been no longer in use. It took no longer than two minutes for th he loud tornado to shake Wilmington high, frightening the students. The religious ones praying quietly in their assumed positions. Samantha prayed for her all her family, wherever they may be. Her heart broke when she remembered Tiffany, tears formed in Samantha's brown eyes. Tiffany Masters had left school five minutes ago, after having her permission slip stamped. The young girl needed to get home to collect her clothing for ballet practice. Being a teenager meant her mind had been elsewhere often. This particular Tuesday she forgot her ballet bag near the front door.

Please be safe, please be safe.

Once in the clear, teachers and students were all able to roam the school again. Samantha rushed to the administrative office which had been full with students waiting to make phone calls. After being informed by Samantha of TIffany Masters predicament, the vice principal called her home. Inevitably learning that Tiffany had not made it home before the chaos ensued. Samantha made a call to home, ensuring her mother and brother's had been safe and unharmed. However Marcia had been unable to reach Sean at the station, not sure of her husband's situation in the aftermath.

The vice principal gently squeezed Samantha's shoulder as she broke the news of her friend.

"No...no....she must've stopped somewhere." Samantha's body felt numb.

"That is all we know for now"

"I have to go find her..." she mumbled backing out of the office

"No! Samantha Beckett! Stop! " Vice Principal Nelson ran out of the office shouting down the hall at the blonde student who ran top speed, heading for the entrance of the school.

"Shit.." Samantha shook the doors of Wilmington high, somehow hoping the large chains around it's handle would suddenly drop off.

"Sam!" A voice she knew all too well called out

"Tiffany is out there" she ran a hand threw her disheveled hair

"What are you talking about?"

"She forgot her ballet things and I told her...I told her to go get them....I told her that we'd wait" Her eyes swelled with tears. As if afraid to somehow cry in front of her boyfriend of two years Samantha composed herself.

"But you can't go look for her, that's insane. Vice Principal Nelson just told me to tell you that, we can't leave til one of our parents come for us."

Samantha nodded, wiping her eyes "Yeah, it's not safe." She smiled tightly.

"Look, some of us are helping clean things up. Come join us, take your mind off Tiffany.....because I'm sure she's fine" Colin held his girlfriend's face gently between his palms, kissing her for reassurance.
"Yeah, I'll be there in a minute" she whispered, placing another her kiss on Colin's lips. Despite being absolutely no sort of comfort. She stood frozen in place, watching Colin disappear around the corner and off into the school

Samantha walked aimlessly through the crowd of students, her cloudy and disorganized. Hair flowing down her back, over the black short ballet dress she wore, matching tights underneath. Unbeknownst to her, Samantha slowly made her way up to the stairs, heading to the roof. When she arrived it had been empty, no one had thought to come journey up there in all the chaos.

Her eyes widened at the amount of damage laid down below. The roof of Wilmington gave a clear view of the football field, and the many of the other buildings around the main area of the school. The main building being four stories high meant that the view also consisted of the nearby buildings, and streets

"SAMANTHA!!!"

Ezra grabbed her and yanked her out of the way just as much of the remaining scaffolding crashed to the roof where she had been standing. He hustled her down the stairs as the pipes banged and clanged down the stairs after them. As they turned rounding the landing, he scooped her up and fairly leapt down the stairs turning into the hall. Once there he set her down as the chaos above slowly settled.

Ezra stepped back. "I'm sorry... I shouted your name four times. The shoddy roof was bowing under all the weight...." he realized he was effectively babbling. "Sorry... are you alright?"

He studied her carefully looking for wounds, and though well aware of her feminine charms he took no notice of them.

Vice Principal entered the hall gasping and wheezing. "What happened?"

Ezra shrugged. "The scaffolding gave way before we could get to it. No one is hurt."

The VP nodded and turned to Samantha. "Samantha they have found Tiffany's car. Empty. There is no sign of her body. The searchers think she never got in her car as her keys aren't in it"

Ezra blinked confused. "What's wrong with Tiffany?"

"She's missing Mr. Willowfoot."

Ezra blinked and looked at Samantha. "Have we searched the school? She might have seen or heard the storm coming and hidden somewhere. Or maybe she is...wherever her car is?"

"On the roof of the library?"

Even the Oklahoma native was stunned by this news and had no response. He looked back to Samantha once again trying to form words.

IEzra had yanked Samantha from being crushed to death. The athlete who had been known for never wanting to be touched. It seemed like the ballet dancer moved slow on her feet, causing the muscled athlete to pick her up, practically leaping down the stairs and into the safety of the hall.

Samantha stared blankly at Ezra who babbled on. She had no idea what they had been running away from, but from Ezra's reaction it seemed serious.

The vice principal interrupted with his gasping and wheezing like he had been running a marathon through Wilmington. He inquired about what happened to the two teenagers to which Ezra replied. Samantha finally learning about her near death experience, standing next to her saviour. The last person she ever expected to put themselves in danger for her. That moment exposed a little of Ezra Willowfoot's true self to Samantha Beckett.

Vice Principal Nelson conveyed the terrible news of Tiffany to Samantha. Already being shaken by the thought of her best friend being out there while all the chaos ensued, the news of the empty car broken her down further.

Not only had Tiffany's car been empty but it had been swept onto the roof of the library. Something in Samantha's mind clicked, finally her tears fell freely. Samantha walked away from the two, walking quickly down the hall in search of a private spot to scream.

"Jesus!" Poor Vice Principal had the task of keeping the entire school safe. Something that was proving to be much more than he could handle.

"Do me a favour Willowfoot, stay on her! The pointed sternly at Ezra "The doors are open and the last thing I need is an emotional teenager to run out there and climb a library roof." Nelson did not even know how he would begin to explain that to Mr Beckett.

"Give her to her that. Boyfriend of hers or whatever" His eyes closed, hand rubbing the temple of his head in frustration "Just don't leave her alone"

"NELSON!"

"Oh Christ" The vice principal was off again heading down the hall.

Ezra blinked still completely confused but he dutifully followed the girl. He didn't touch her but stayed close.

He did stop her from going into several rooms that were marked unsafe, and down a blocked off staircase, but otherwise he stayed back letting her find her place.

In his mind he was praying to every god he knew and had even heard of that Tiffany was ok. They had not spoken since they were all in elementary together, but Tiffany had always seemed like a sweet girl and everyone in town knew she was Samantha's best friend.

He did manage to guide Samantha to a band practice room, which was sound proof and safe for her to be in alone. He stopped at the door watching her nervously. He wasn't about to leave her alone to find Colin, nor would he ask for the bastard.

Ezra and Colin had their own lengthy history. Growing up handsome and athletic in Wilmington they had come face to face several times, mostly for spots on the various teams. Things had never yet come to blows but it had come close several times.

Ezra kept his eyes on Samantha, watching her for even slightest cue she was going to do something wild, still seemingly unaware of her feminine enticements.

Samantha struggled to contain herself even knowing Ezra had been around. She tried dipping into rooms to get away, only to be stopped but the very person she had been trying to get away from. Somehow the young girl found herself cry in the perfect place, a band practice room.

Samantha Beckett did not like anyone seeing her so vulnerable. She hated crying in front of people, including her parents. When Samantha glanced behind, spotting the blurry image of a jeans She quickly turned away.

"You...don't ...have to... stand.. there" she whispered through her crying, taking a seat to compose herself. Uncontrollable sobbing was not something she should have been doing at that moment, especially with a Willowfoot nearby. Samantha gently wiped away the salty tears staining her cheek with the long sleeves of her ballet dress.

"I just want to go home" she admitted, home was where her release lay. Hidden in a little brown bag on top her closest to the back.

"I'm sorry. Just not a good time to be alone. Can't just yet. All the roads are closed while they check the lines and make sure the buildings won't collapse on them. The town council also declared a state of emergency. The Fire Department isn't letting anyone drive within a hundred yards of the school as it was the worst hit and no one is sure how much damage was done. And all the roads to the school are currently flooded and mudded over from the football field."

He did turn away from her. "So they are making plans to let people who can't walk home stay here. people have to be collected by parents of guardians and only then can they go."

He bit his lip then realized something. "and shouldn't you change? Shoes at least. those little...booties you have on won't be any good for walking through mud."

"I think we should have emergency medic tents in the car park of the supermarket on main." Sean circled the supermarket on the map with a red marker " The community center and any other building that has not been hit needs to be turned into shelters ASAP. Set up beds, organise food trucks and anything else they need. The hospitals are flooded, and we have many more injured..." Sean bit his lip as he stared at the map in thought. His eyes trailed up to his the chief. "We should call in for more medical and law enforcement support from all three county's, the big city if we need too." Sean had been on the grounds walking through floods in his boots, helping the rescue teams search the areas that been heavily targeted. Only after learning that his family was safe on the estate, Marcia informing him of Samantha's well being in the process.

The chief took a deep breath, deliberating Sean Beckett's plan to restore order and bring some comfort to the citizens. "It's a step in the right direction" That was chief Sanders agreeing to the plan without spelling it out for his men.

Everyone had been given tasks throughout the law enforcement. Rescue teams consisting of ex army personnel, the department and local officers were given the task of scouring Wilmington in teams of twelve. Doctors were on standby at the emergency tents. , ready to treat non life threatening injuries. The severely wounded were stabilized at the make shift medic bay before being immediately rushed to the hospitals where they were given first preference. Non life threatening injuries were stabilized and sent to the shelters that were set up in buildings such as the community center etcetera.
As God would have it Tiffany Masters, a senior of Wilmington high school had been treated at one of the many emergency tents before being transported to the hospital.

Samantha blinked three times, eyeing her ballet flats. "Well I can't leave now anyway" she collected her long locks into a neat ponytail. "I should be helping everyone, instead of sitting on my ass." She walked towards the young Indian "You must think I'm such a brat..." Her eyes met his "when you could helping everyone, you're told to babysit me.."

"Not at all. This is part of any trauma. The stages of grief. Everyone goes through it in their own way. But if you are ready i can take you down to the girl's sleeping area and you can change while i leave you alone."

He smiled, trying in his own small way to reassure her that things were or would be alright.

He gestured at the halls. "besides I was just on immediate peril duty. We already the rooms that shouldn't be entered, which was easily every room with a window, any interior rooms with water evident, and every room under the scaffolding. Then came the scaffolding itself, which is now down. Little more violently than we intended but fortunately no one was hurt so all good there. Sorry for that by the way. We didn't see the bent support struts until it was too late."

he mimed the scaffolding with one hand, falling against the other then sliding into a crescent that sent it spinning out and toward Samantha. "Other than going towards you it was actually kinda cool."

Samantha rolled her eyes at Ezra as the two teenagers walked down the hall, away from the room they were occupying moments ago. Ezra's humor when he spoke of the scaffolding had been just the thing she needed to lighten her nerves when it came to Tiffany. Like all other things in life Samantha decided to have faith, her mother preached the importance of trusting in God. Allowing him to show you the way, letting him take the steering wheel when on dangerous roads. Samantha believed if she prayed, let go and trusted in him. Then and only then would Tiffany make it through. Everyone needed a rock, Tiffany was Samantha's rock. Yet the blonde ballerina had been afraid to tell her best friend the things that really mattered.

"Falling scaffolding was not cool" Samantha never understood boys. "Especially when it could have fallen on me" She playfully slapped his chest, a silly grin plastered on her pretty face.

Samantha stopped smiling abruptly, suddenly aware of what she had done. Brown eyes stared widely at Ezra, hands covering her gaping mouth. "I-i-i-i..." Samantha bit her lips " Sorry..." The blonde turned on her heels, pivoting down the hallway. Away from the anger of her rescuer. Stupid stupid Sam. Samantha's legs took her all the way to the girls locker room, where she stood eyes closed taking many deep breaths. An attempt to calm her nervous heart.

"Samantha it's-" He fell silent as she vanished. He sighed then spotted a girl about to head in.

"Hey Joyce hold up."

She did, looking at him with blank disinterested eyes. He smiled and moved close enough so he wouldn't be yelling. "Would you do me a favor?"

"Why?"

"Because you're awesome and your hair looks great." She sniffed. She was currently bald as a cueball, by choice. Ezra grinned at her until she couldn't help laughing.

"Alright breeder. Whatcha need?"

"When you see Samantha Beckett tell her I'm not mad. She's had a rough day and thinks I'm mad at her."

"Why should she care?"

Ezra nodded. "Well I think it really upset her. I don't wanna cause tears even by accident. How's...who are you dating again?"

With anyone else Joyce would have lied but Ezra genuinely didn't care about her life choices. "Naila Hot-Ear."

"Oh...is she ok after all this?"

She nodded. "She's fine. She was in the rez shelter."

Ezra nodded as well. "Thats good. So about my favor?"

"I'll tell her. but you owe me."

"Anytime. Oh avoid Naila's uncle Justin. He's a halfblood who takes everything real serious and he doesn't like anything not perfectly...tribal."

"What does that mean?"

Ezra shrugged as he truly had no clue. "I think it's just his excuse to hate anyone who doesn't fit his idea of proper Indian. I know he and Naila got into it last year during Sit-Down because she got caught kissing a girl. So..."

Joyce slowly nodded. "Anyone else?"

Ezra shook his head then grinned again. "Well your mom."

Joyce smiled as well rolling her eyes. "She is already demanding grandkids."

"Why? You're only 16. Little young for babies aren'tcha?"

"Actually yes I agree with you. but she thinks if I give birth i will 'cease this unnatural madness."

Ezra laughed at the phrasing. "She does know that you could adopt or surrogate right?"

"Doesn't matter according to her. Although I'd be alright with having my own kids. Would just need the right donor." Her eyes narrowed. "Not you Ezra."

He grinned even wider. "Did I ask?" He ducked away as she raised a hand.

"What's wrong with me?"

"Not a thing. But you've been trying to kill me since preschool. I wouldn't feel safe." he winked.

She rolled her eyes but laughed again and went into the locker room. She found Samantha easily. "Hey Beckett. Ezra wanted me to tell you that he isn't mad or whatever. So don't cry alright?" She didn't wait for an answer heading to a locker to change for a shower. The school had the best water system in the city and in addition to it's many other services was offering showers to everyone who couldn't be sure they had access to clean water, and every student had been advised to bathe repeatedly while staying.

Samantha Beckett had just gotten out of the shower, when Joyce entered the girls locker room to convey Ezra's message. The Indian girl 's words made Samantha grip her white towel extra hard. "Don't cry..." The blonde mumbled as she swung open the metal door to her locker. Samantha Beckett hated to be seen crying, she hated to seen as vulnerable. Today Ezra Willowfoot had witnessed something that he was not supposed to, and now she was being teased for it by his kind.

Samantha donned her emergency clothing that was kept in the bottom of her locker. A dark blue denim jeans and a large oversized grey hoodie, like Ezra instructed she made certain to wear her pair of sneakers that was reserved for physical education. Ezra Willowfoot may not have been angry with Samantha, yet still she avoided the tall blue eyed Indian wherever she went. While assisting with the clean up Samantha Beckett would purposely take longer routes when she saw Ezra in her path. Upset at the Willowfoot for spilling the moment of weakness he witnessed.

The sun disappeared beneath the hills, darkness creeping into Wilmington. All occupants of Wilmington high school were ordered to congregate in the cafeteria for dinner. Long lines filled the large area as students, teachers and homeless collected hot meals in a Styrofoam boxes, courtesy the cooks of Wilmington high. Samantha stood in line to collect for herself and Colin, watching while her boyfriend sat, laughing with his friends. Her eyes traveled to a school who stood in the long line to get his girlfriend's food while she sat comfortably.

"Must be nice..." she muttered, glancing out at the long line still ahead of her. Samantha stepped out of line, making her way to the front, hoping to get special treatment from the two cafeteria ladies.

"Can I have two please...?" She bit her lip nervously whwn one of the middle aged women raised their head.

Tania, the lady who looked up knew Samantha's father, and was about to give the girl her food when the line began shouting. Everyone witnessed the blonde skipping the line and considered unfair.

Tania smiled sadly "I'm sorry" she mouthed, sending Samantha all the way back. By the time Samantha arrived at the front all good had been distributed. This forced the young girl to purchase snacks and two bottles of water from the vending machines in the hallway.

"What the fuck is this?" Colin asked, his eyes narrowing at the chips and biscuits his girlfriend dumped on the table.

"I didn't get any food, everything finished when I got to the front" Samantha had been opening her bottle of water when Colin yanked her from the table. Squeezing Samantha's hand tightly as he mad he's way through the cafeteria and out into the halls.

Samantha knew what was coming.

Colin found an empty classroom far away from the crowd. With the force of angry athlete he flung her against the wall. His hand coming into contact with her face repeatedly.

Samantha cried out, only to be smacked harder.

"Shut the fuck up, this is your fault. You had one job Samantha."

"I'm sorry..." her bottom lip quivered

"Sorry? You embarrass me in front of my friends and that's all you say?" Colin, with a hard push, shoved Samantha to the floor. Kicking her a few times to calm himself. After composing himself he returned to the cafeteria, leaving Samantha in the dark room, crying silently.

Colin never made it to the cafeteria.

Joyce had found Ezra and told him that Samantha had taken the assurance poorly and he had tried to talk to her but she had all but run away from everytime she saw him.

She even did the same thing in the food line. He managed to get three meals, overhearing her request but then she vanished again before he could give her one and another for her moron boyfriend. He had lost ehr in the crowd until Colin had grabbed her and dragged her out.

Sensing what was to come he had followed, then watched in horror at what the monster did. He knew some males did that to women but he had never seen such disrespect or violence toward the fairer sex and it simply stunned him.

But that didn't stop him. he set the food down out of the way, waited until Colin came out, then followed him down the hall, until they were masked by the sounds of the eating crowds, grabbed him by the hair and shirt and spun and hurled the bastard face first into a locker. Before Colin could react Ezra drove six brutal blows to the boy's kidneys, then kicked the back of his knees and slammed the idiot's face into the lockers.

Now reeling Colin tried to speak but Ezra grabbed his head in a reverse headlock and fell back, driving Colin's head down hard into the concrete. It didn't kill him but he was out cold and bleeding badly.

Ezra stood, spit on the bastard's face, then ran back to the classroom. He went right inside and knelt by Samantha. "How badly did he hurt you?" His eyes made it clear he had seen everything and he wouldn't accept any lie or excuse.

The cold hard floor of the classroom comforted the hurt teen. Tears ceased to flow after a minute of silent crying. In those moments her emotions became less and less every time. Samantha knew someday she would stop crying. Colin's behaviour becoming normal. Her friends envied their relationship, Colin had been the perfect boyfriend in everyone's eyes. In Samantha's eyes she would trade her basketball star boyfriend in a heartbeat.

Samantha heard the lockers banging in the distance, coupled with sounds of some struggle. A few minutes later the sound of a voice made her brown eyes open, to stare upon the last person she wanted to see. Her eyes quickly averted themselves out of shame, to be seen battered as a Beckett by anyone was shameful. As a child she had been taught to be perfect, not to let anyone view her as weak. Yet she allowed Colin to hit her many times on multiple occasions.

Samantha sat up, flinching slightly "Its nothing". There had been times when her injuries where much worse. "Its just a few scratches." Her eyes glanced quickly towards Ezra " Why were you watching us...?"

"I wasn't. i was trying to talk to you. And I got you both dinner. Now the fuck can suck ash for all I care. Why do you let him do that to you Samantha? you're better than that."

He watched her closely, still furious at Colin but trying to understand why Samantha Beckett, the crown princess of the Beckett clan allowed herself to be mistreated. He didn't have much use for her family, especially her father, but he was certain he and Sean Beckett would agree on what needed to be done with Colin if Sean knew.

'I know your family doesn't know otherwise Colin would be dead. You shouldn't be with someone like him Samantha."

Samantha smiled sadly, gently easing her body back to the floor. Arms perched, using them in place of a pillow as she laid on her side facing Ezra. She knew the answer to his question, but was in no way ready to admit it. Ezra Willowfoot already knew too much, Samantha did not need to tell the young boy the entire truth.

"I love him" That had been partly true. Despite Colin's abusive tendencies she truly loved him. Colin was all Samantha knew for two whole years. "You have to promise..." she stared at Ezra "Promise me you won't say anything." That was all she needed from him. Her routine when Colin got violent was tons of make up, covering the bruises on her face if needed. She wore her usually sun dresses when The bruising did not affect her arms, and hoodies when they did.

"I can handle myself, if you tell anyone...I'll say you did it
.." she eyed him challengingly "You know they'll believe me..." He was an Indian after all. Abuse had been prominent on the reservation, her family and the town would not doubt Samantha's words.

He had been willing until she made the threat. His eyes instantly lost all concern and became lethally deadly.

"Fine. Let him kill you. But if you call that love then you white people are as stupid as you look."

He was out of the room without another word, though he did kick Colin as he walked over him. No one saw Ezra for the rest of the night, not even at check in for bed, though the checker was assured he was alright. The other Indians now avoided Samantha, though they had also prevented Colin's buddies from approaching her.

The room was filled with silent tension, to the point even the teachers and volunteers felt it, and they were thrilled that with the dawn they could send everyone home and call off school until the place was repaired well enough to attend. The Beckett crews assured everyone they could have it usable again within a week.

Body language, the science of reading human behaviour in order to understand their emotions and inner self. The emotions that were hidden, usually along with what they yearned to say. Samantha's threat had not graced deaf ears. The Willowfoot showed his disapproval, the concern in his dark blue eyes swiftly morphing into extreme anger. A lethal pair of eyes staring right into Samantha's soul. Ezra Willowfoot said his piece, then proceeded to storm out of the dark classroom. Leaving Samantha Beckett in stunned silence. The words 'let him kill you' repeating themselves like a broken record in her head. Many possibilities played in the young girl's mind as she laid in bed at night. Only two outcomes presented themselves. A messy breakup, or her father taking a baseball bat to Colin's head. The idea of being beaten to death never occurred to her. Colin is many things but not a murderer, she thought.

A loud scream echoed through the halls when a freshman discovered Colin beaten and bloodied, laying on the floor. Teachers rushed to his side, taking him to the nurse's office. He had been unconscious and bleeding, small cuts covering his face.The faculty remained cautious, keeping check of every student. Questioning everyone, attempting to seek out the culprit that attacked Colin. Samantha made it to her locker, collecting foundation and other make up that she would use to cover the bruises that were visible. While the school buzzed with rumours of Colin, Samantha dabbed at her face. Thoughts of Ezra Willowfoot in the back of her mind. The only person that was privy to the scene between herself and Colin. He tried helping her, only to be threatened and treated harshly. Samantha knew what she did had been wrong, but it worked. That was all that mattered the young girl in that moment.

Colin woke in the dead of night, aware that he had been beaten, yet unable to tell the teachers who had done it. The halls were dim, and the person moved swiftly. Colin had no time to recall what was happening to him, no time too call for help.

When dawn broke most of the students were sent home, some picked up by parents and others making their way on foot. Samantha received a call from her mother, informing her daughter of Tiffany's condition. Stable, yet still in a semi critical state. Tiffany like all other victims of the tornado were being monitored until they made a full recovery. Samantha breathed a sigh of relief, she had not lost her best friend. Silently she thanked the heavens for returning Tiffany, unaware of the struggles the young girl would need to endure to be well again.

"You'll have to walk home Sam..." Her mother's voice shook slightly "Can you make that?"

Samantha nodded as if her mother had been standing nearby "Yeah, I ride it everyday. Shouldn't be too hard on foot" it would take twice the amount of time on foot, coupled with the pain that resided in her ribcage from Colin's kicks. Samantha had been too afraid to enter the nurse's station for painkillers and ointment. Her ribcage turned dark purple and became swollen overnight.

"Hurry" Marcia smiled

"Bring Ezra with you, the road to his home is still being cleared. I'll prepare something for you both to eat"

Samantha bit her lip nervously "Sure..." After saying her goodbyes, she set out in search of Ezra. Not because she wanted too, but because she had been told too. Her words to him were harsh, but she could not afford to have him spilling her secret. Not when Colin is my only supplier of Peyote
, she thought.

Ezra gripped her shoulder and turned her to face after she got off the phone, appearing like magic. He studied her face for a long while, shook his head, then handed her a large bottle of gel cap ibuprofen. "No more than four. Let's go."

He was in high dark leather workboots, laced tight onto his legs, and wearing a school hoody and his letter jacket over it. The wind was picking up and though the sky was clear for miles, it was cold. He gave her a similar arrangement, though her jacket was much bigger, really more of a coat, and nearly reached her knees. "My mom called too. Let's go."

He wasted no more time or words and walked off in the direction of her place.

As he went Samantha could hear several people talking about Anthony Willowfoot, Ezra's new baby brother. Fauna had given birth at home, during the tornado, and the news of the blessed event was lifting many spirits. Ezra seemed immune to this.

VP Nelson caught Samantha before she followed Ezra, shivering in his own thin vest and sweater. "Please call us when you get home? We need to be sure everyone makes it safely." He nodded at Ezra. "Have him call too please."

He shuddered then scurried inside. The wind was softening for the moment but it was only getting colder. Somewhat odd for Oklahoma but the weather was always highly unpredictable after a tornado. The temperature had already plummeted to 45 degrees Fahrenheit, and people were getting nervous it would get lower.

The way Ezra's eyes scrutinized Samantha's face made it difficult for her to look at him. He stared at her for long while, her eyes dancing all over. One moment meeting his gaze, the next second looking away. Samantha swallowed nervously, when Ezra shook his head. A feeling of relief mulled over her being when he placed a large bottle of ibuprofen in her hands and a leather jacket. Barking instructions in the process.

It seemed as though Ezra was given the same instructions as Samantha, and despite being angry with the girl, he followed his mother's orders. Samantha followed Ezra out, downing four pills like he instructed. Placing the bottle in her backpack before slipping it on, rushing out to keep up with Ezra. Samantha heard the whispers of a new Willowfoot on her way out. The news bringing a smile to her face as she stared at the back of the tall handsome boy in front of her. I can't believe I had a crush on him in elementary school, she wondered.

Ezra growled as she drew close. "Any clue why every think my latest sister is a boy named Anthony?"

The secret of course was Judy Waring, the local gossip hound/queen. She had heard only that Fauna had given birth,and being what she was she had spread it everyone, especially her two kids at the high school that Fauna had had a boy, who happened to be named Anthony, just like Judy's high school sweetheart she had lost to that tramp Layla Biggens.

Ezra was still mighty pissed at Samantha but he had been given orders to walk her home, be polite, and make sure she didn't get hurt on the trip. The orders were very similar to the ones given when his mother would still visit Marcia at her home. At first he had refused to have anything at all to do with Samantha, thinking her a dumb girl, but at his mother's command he had agreed to play with her, and had been suckered into promising her access to his very private and elaborate treehouse in the north forest. His cousins had been furious with him, but true to his word he had let her in, and protected her from the boys.

The tree house had been built in the space between three angled oaks, with a fourth in the center serving as it's main support and base. A winding stair led up to the three story, multi room affair, with patios, game rooms, toy chest, and all sorts of little nooks and crannies, and interesting little additions and secrets. Fort Willowfoot as it was known had been the favorite play area of the the entire Willowfoot clan, and even the Becketts marveled at the attraction and joined the games, as did many other local kids. Every game imaginable was played, with kids playing on the swings, sliding down the hollowed out trunk of the center tree to the ground below, pummeling up the stairs, slipping down the smooth firepole, swinging from one of the five rope swings, crawling across the net bridge, or carefully walking across one of the three rope bridges to the tree platforms.

The thing was a wonder, but was really only twenty feet at it's highest, and supported in ways none of the kids had ever realized. The four threes were real but transplanted onto the space which had been hollowed down twenty feet, where the ground was filled with a solid layer of concrete, the trees' roots laid atop the concrete, then the rest of the hole had been filled with soft rockless earth. Fifteen feet of it, then another three on the whole area around the monstrous treehouse. This had been Red's present to all his grandkids, though officially it was for Ezra as the eldest.

Ezra had not had time to play in it for years, but he still went out it, though usually alone these days. Everything was exactly as he remembered it, and he could still move around in it easily, though now it didn't see so high. It had been built to last, and was carefully placed several hundred yards from the marked property line.

He, Samantha, the neighbor kids and their many cousins had played up there for many hours. He knew all too well why it had stopped. He wondered if she remembered those days.

Samantha's eyes widen at Ezra's statement, soon enough she began chuckling, which turned into full blown laughter. Her ribcage tightened every time , triggering slight pain. A clear sign the four ibuprofen had been kicking in faster than expected. "With a tornado things can get a bit twisted" A bad joke on Samantha's path, but a joke nonetheless. "The woes of living in a small town ..." She mused. "Congratulations though, another baby sister " Samantha glanced at him with a small smile.

The fact that he struck up a conversation had not meant anything. Samantha knew it, his anger over what she said still burned within. Her words were cold and harsh. In the last few days they became acquainted again, both making effort to reach out. Now they were headed back to that dreadful day, when they were both children, the day they became strangers, sworn the remain that way, due to generational family dispute.

She remembered it all like it was yesterday. As a child Samantha adored the idea of inventing imaginary people and stories. Dolls and pinky frilly things were highly exciting. Ezra thinking it all quite dumb avoided playing in Samantha's groups in school.

It began when Fauna Willowfoot would visit Marcia Beckett's home. Fauna often brought Ezra along, instructing the young boy to play nicely with Samantha. This gave her every opportunity to use Ezra As she pleased. Eventually the little girl talked herself into the legendary tree house. Poor Ezra, suckered into saying yes.

Samantha had not been liked by many of the Willow foot children, even Ezra. Their tolerance of her grew only because they were told. Samantha knowing nothing of tolerance, mistook their kindness to mean that they had all been friends. They played for hours and hours, all sorts of games. Going on all sorts of adventures. Soon enough she developed a silly girl crush on the eldest Willowfoot, due to his high tolerance.

One day while trying to think of game for everyone to play Samantha came up with a brilliant idea. Getting married was every girls dream. All the girls loved Samantha's idea of having a wedding, while the boys simply frowned in protest. In the end, like most marriages, the girls won. Ezra being the eldest had been chosen as the groom by his cousins. All the girls were eager to play the bride. Samantha however reminding them that she came up with the game, and so she alone deserved to be the bride. They all half heartedly agreed, disliking the bossy blonde even more. The wedding food, and cake were made from mud. Old scraps of cloth laying around the tree house used a veil for the bride, random plants as her bouquet.

Young Samantha stared at Ezra after their fake wedding "You have to marry me when we are grown ups" she smiled "Promise?"

As they walked along the pavement, her body cringed at how idiotic she had been as a child. Her crush on the Willowfoot was long gone, yet she wondered if he remembered that day. A lot had changed and somethings remained the same. Because despite everything, he still tolerates me, she thought.

Back
Top Bottom