Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

SAMOK (EveningSky & G23)

Greeneyed23

Pulsar
WHS. Wilmington High School of Wilmington Oklahoma. The largest school in three counties, and serving all three, Owatt, Terrell, and San Topa. They were chiefly farm counties, and fairly small for Oklahoma, and with Wilmington the county seat of San Topa but also sitting in Owatt and Terrell it was the major 'city' of the area.

The school boasted an impressive facility, with a first class trio of gyms, a performing arts center, four computer labs and the best library for sixty miles in every direction. The students came from all over the three counties, and had surged the school's student population to more than three thousand. The Wilmington Wildcats were always heavy contenders in the contentious Oklahoma sports scene, especially in the big three.

This year the star of all three sports was one Ezra Willowfoot. A 16 year old junior he had proven himself on the JV squads and was now leading the varsity on a mission. The baseball team were heavily favored for the state championship, the football team was very impressive, and the basketball team held great promise. The 6'2 farmboy Ezra moved with lithe cunning grace, and his good looks were quickly making him the most sought after man on campus. But Ezra didn't like the attention.

He was a very quiet and focused young man, and preferred the library to hanging out and goofing off. In his off hours he rushed home to the farm to work, or read. He was solitary and seemingly lonely. This of course only served to increase his popularity, but he shunned the lot. He read, studied, made his excellent grades, worked, and played hard. He drove himself to perfection constantly, but even people who had been in the same grade since kindergarten could barely remember the sound of his voice.

No one was quite sure how to deal with him.

Today was Friday, and for once no practice, no games to prep for, and caught between the seasons, Ezra had been instructed to stay at school and keep an eye on his three sisters. They were all in the library, the girls in the kids area on bean bags reading, while Ezra was lounging on a couch nearby his eyes glued to a thick book.

WilmingtonWilmington Oklahoma seemed insignificant to many outsiders. It held no promise they would often say. Most people wanted to get out, make it big. Others saw potential, loved the laid back life. They returned to make it their settling ground. Outsiders moved to Wilmington to raise their families in the friendly farming lands and quiet city. Wilmington held pride in their history. Their founding families created traditions that lived on through the many generations. Businesses were started in the earlies, passing on from father to son.

Sean Beckett one of the three owners of Beckett & Sons company had not only been part of a founding family but inserted himself in Wilmington's law enforcement. Keeping the town prosperous and above all safe was the responsibility he inherited. His responsibility to the people and his family. Samantha his eldest of three girls attended the local high school. Unlike the pride her father felt for the town Samantha felt stifled. As a sixteen year old girl Samantha Beckett was expected to study hard. To become the face of the Beckett name when her father passed on. Her last name brought pros and cons to her life. Pros and cons she had no idea how to juggle as of yet.

Samantha struggled to meet the expectations laid on her by family and social standing . She excelled at ballet and music but had currently been failing her academic courses. This required extra tutoring, which her father provided with the help of family money. Everything given to Samantha she took for granted. Partying, staying out late and rebelling appealed to the brown eyed beauty. However such enjoyments and the environment they brought were not allowed for her. She spent most of her time at school and the Beckett estate, where her parents and siblings also resided.

Samantha entered the library to return a book she borrowed, usually Friday evenings were most lively. With the team's practicing for game, today had not been the case. Mrs Carter the school librarian had been organising to leave when Samantha approached them desk.

"It's overdue Samantha" Mrs Carter smiled taking the book.

"Thank God it's not a public library right" Samantha joked.

"Thank God indeed"

"Enjoy the rest of your day" She smiled, trailing off into the library in the direction of the historical fiction for another amazing read. Despite having the technology to read on the portable devices Samantha could never resist the urge of turning an actually page. Books were her escape in life. They were the parties and rebellion she could not entertain in real life.

Samantha saw three little girls reading on bean bags, all engrossed in their adventures. It reminded her of the evenings on their estate where she would hide and read all day. The world beyond more imaginary than the stories she read. Her eyes travelled to Ezra Willowfoot, Wilmington high school star athlete. "Is he with you guys?" Samantha whispered stopping down near the girls.

Ezra sat up the moment she neared his sisters. That was one thing everyone knew about him and the whole Willowfoot clan. Never mess with their family especially the kids.

The girls giggled and nodded. "That's our big brother. Mommy and Daddy are down in the City "Oklahoma City was only an hour southeast. "So we are staying here until they get back so we don't get in trouble." They giggled again.

Ezra said nothing but lay back, seemingly oking her presence near his siblings. He didn't start reading though. The Willowfoots had had anumber of run in with the Becketts over the years, as both families were very old in the area though the Willowfoots had not come by choice. They were direct descendants from a number of Native Tribes, as was clear from the children especially dark skin, silken black hair and bright clear eyes. The then Willow-runs had settled and taken some granted land just north of small spring fed river. With their skills for the land they had soon brought their land free and clear from the fed and commanded the oldest operating farm in northwest Oklahoma.

The clan had grown strong and well, proud and free. They refused to be moved to a rez, and proved more than capable of defending themselves, but also very patriotic, serving with distinction in every American War since the War with Mexico, and able to trace their roots back centuries before that.

Still they were not among the rich and wealthy of the area, and it had taken decades for them to move beyond the public perception as the "uppity Indians."

The girls of course showed none of them as they greeted Samantha. The eldest, Janice, handled things. "i'm Janice and I'm 7. That's Lailia, she's 5, guna be 6 in two months, and that's Ruthie. She's four."

Ruthie smiled up at Samantha her eyes aglow. "You're pretty. Do you have a boyfriend?"

Ezra rose from his position on the couch, sitting at attention. Samantha understood his actions, she too had younger siblings. Being a younger sibling to two little mischievous brothers brought out a protective instinct in her.

Samantha's face showed no surprise at the news of the three little girls being Ezra's little sisters. The Willowfoots were exceptional farmers providing most the town's good produce. Beside the family history, like the Beckett's they were old blood in Wilmington. Samantha had always been fascinated at their skill to keep themselves private. She like many others wanted to know more.

When Janice the eldest introduced her younger sisters Samantha took a seat on the floor next to the girls. "Well I am Samantha, I'm sixteen." Ruthie's question caught Samantha off guard, eliciting a hearty chuckle from her. "You're pretty yourself, you all trump me in that department" she smiled "And Yes, I do have a boyfriend" She glanced at all of them "What about y'all, seeing anyone?" She joked.

Ruthie's question had been normal yet odd for a girl of only four. Samantha wondered if the little girl made it a habit of inquiring about the relationship status of everyone she considered to be pretty. She could only imagine Ezra's embarrassment at his younger sisters questions. Especially if they were indeed trying to play matchmaker.

Actually Ruthie's intent was the exact opposite. When she learned Samantha had a girlfriend she sighed and pouted.

Janice giggled. "Ruthie likes girls."

Ruthie pouted even harder, then glared at Samantha. Who is your boyfriend?"

lailia laughed. "i don;t think she really likes girls. She just doesn't wanna like boys because they are icky. like Ezra."

Janice laughed while Ruthie scowled at her sisters.

Ezra stood and went over to the bookshelf he had gotten his book from and selected three more, then went to speak to the librarian. Janice nudged Lailia and pointed at the door where several girls were watching their brother and rolled her eyes.

"I wish they wouldn't do that. it's really creepy. And he doesn't like it."

Ezra proved her right by looking right at the girls then moving to a different couch, still in sight of the girls, but hidden from the main door.

To say Janice's statement shocked Samantha would be an understatement. The teenager eyed all three girls oddly, judging according to appearance. What would they know about homosexuality?. Samantha herself did not know much about those types of people. Her stance on it had been pretty clear, she hated the idea. Although her opinions were kept close to her heart, she often felt like voicing it to the public. Damning all the security and criticism that followed it.

"I agree with Laila, maybe Ezra is a turn off" Samantha smiled a lightly. At four Ruthie would not know her sexual preference. She was simply a little girl who figured all boys had cooties.

"My boyfriend is quite the opposite. He's on the school's basketball team" The pride her voice had been clear as day. "Not all boys are bad, they were made to be ours and we were made to be theirs." Samantha gently caressed Ruthie's head "You won't understand it now, but one will you'll fall in love with one lucky fella"

Samantha watched Ezra walk to the librarians desk then to a couch hidden from the view of their schoolmates. "Your brother is a star athlete who's single. If he goes out with someone they'll back off a bit." She gave a sympathetic look to the eldest sister "Tell him what I said, don't say it was me" she grinned. Samantha rose from her spot on the floor "I'll be right back" with that said she walked over to the couch that Ezra occupied. Her fingers fidgeting with one another "Can we talk?" The conversation Samantha wanted to have could go either way. However she felt as though Ezra needed to know about his youngest sibling. He would be the first to know of Samantha's stance on the topic, and that scared her the most.

"You come to tell me that my sister is a dyke?"

Ezra's eyes rose above his book, dark and dangerousm and a blue so deep as to seem black at the moment.

"Peter Glenn heard her say she likes girls two months ago and lost his bloody mind. It's a phase. She'll grow out of it." he watched her closely, giving away nothing.

This was the most words he had spoken in public in months, and the most he had ever said to Samantha herself. Now he watched her, his odd blue eyes unreadable and guarded. The book remained over most of his face, revealing only his eyes. His shirt was tight over his thick chest, but loose over his trim waist and had ridden up a bit revealing impressive abs and the twin v's over his hips. His arms were bunched with thick veiny muscle, and his legs were just as well formed as the rest of him. his jeans were old but well cared for, and his shoes were spotless.

He continued to watch her, daring her to insult his sister, but warning her that she would regret it.

Samantha shook her head in disbelief "I'm not here to attack a freak four year old"

She grabbed his feet shoving it off the couch to plot herself down next to him. His gaze unnerved her, sitting made it difficult for him to look at her with his devilish stare. " I came to give you some advice. Your sisters seem to think that's okay to say..." From her location on the couch she could see the three dark skin silly hair girls reading and talking quietly among themselves.

"They're too sweet to be tainted by that Ezra" Samantha laid her hand gently on Ezra's thigh. Her brown eyes trailing from his legs to his well defined chest, then his deep blue eyes. "I'm not trying to insult you or your family" she muttered. Anyone watching the two of them would think something sexual had been going on. Samantha's hand on Ezra's leg. Her white sundress stopping above her knees, her fair skin peeking out from between the fabric of her dress and the tall brown cowboy boots she wore.

He sat up now. he did not leer at her or take in her form with his eyes, as her peers often did, but continued to gaze into her eyes, his eyes now even more deadly.

"My sister is not a freak. If you have a problem with gays that's your problem. She is a little girl who hates boys. but thank you for your concern." The words were polite but the tone was anything but, simply dripping with scorn.

Ezra did not trust her, and clearly was more than ready to not like her. His leg throbbed beneath her hand, and despite appearances it was clear he was not happy she was touching him. Everyone knew he had few friends, but what no one did or could now was he did not like being touched. This forward action of her's was only making him angry, as his slowing pulse but warming skin should have told her.

HerHer hands slowly removed themselves from Ezra's leg. Samantha took a deep breath, swallowing the lump in her throat. Not only did she come under Ezra's scrutiny, she insulted his youngest sibling in the process. Samantha was not by any means a dumb girl, she could sense his boiling anger. Removing herself from his space before something went terribly wrong had been the safest thing for both of them.

Without another word Samantha left Ezra's side. She dared not look back for fear of what she saw in his eyes. She returned to the three little girls, stooping down beside Janice. "I have something," Samantha rummaged through her beige handbag pulling out three lollipops "one for you" She said stretching her hand out to Janice "Aand you" Her reached Laila "Aaand you" She grinned at Ruthie.

Lollipops were one of her favourite sweets aside from chocolate. She would purchase a handful of lollipops each day after school, sharing with her younger siblings and having the rest to suck throughout the school day. "They're all strawberry because that is my absolute favourite" She smiled.

She stood, waving at the girls "I gotta go now, it was nice meeting y'all though. If Ezra is giving you a hard time let me know" She said eyeing Janice " I'll bring you guys over to my house and we can chill without his icky self around" The history between their families had been rough. Samantha knew she could change that, her father would not mind the Willowfoot girls over for a swim in their pool or to lounge around their estate. Like the Beckett's they were a founding family.

Ezra watched her go with the same cold anger burning even hotter as she approached his siblings and gave the candy.

Janice squealed and the girls all thanked Samantha repeatedly, then gasped at the offer to come visit Samantha at her house. They had all wanted to go see the Beckett house, and everyone wanted to meet Mrs. Beckett, Samantha's mom, who, except maybe for their own mama, was supposed to be the prettiest woman in Oklahoma, .

They leapt to their feet and hugged Samantha's legs then said goodbye, and assuring her they would ask their parents to go over to the Becketts for a visit.

Ezra heard it all and his eyes only grew more dangerous. Before he could say anything about it though, the unmistakable sound of his grandfather's motorcycles. "Girls."

They had heard too and grabbed their things, then joined their brother. Outside the school twelve large Harley's rumbled so loud and hard it shook the very pavement, each mounted with large powerfully muscled men, including 'Red' Willowfoot. He was Ezra in fifty years. Tall massively built, dark of skin, still handsome even through his thick hair, beard and mustache, and with the same cold blue eyes. He sat his Harley like a throne, the chopped roaring even as it idling. His reflective sunglasses were up on his brow as he smiled at his three granddaughters who rushed to him and kiss his cheek, then went to other bikes with sidecars as they were too small to ride on the back.

Ezra went to the big man, gazing into his eyes unafraid. Red, his real name was Dił, the Navajo word for blood, stood still a few inches taller than his grandson. Ezra spoke softly. "Samantha Beckett made friends with the girls Pops. She invited them to their house. I thought you should know." Red nodded studying the boy. "Make you mad?"

"She touched me. Trying to tell me Ruthie needed help."

"Why?"

"The boys are icky thing."

Red rolled his eyes and turned his head to look at Ruthie who was now braiding the hair of the man driving the cycle she shared, one of her many uncles. "She doesn't seem to mind us."

'We're family Pops."

"Fair point. Why did that make you mad?"

"You know why."

Red laughed. "I guess I do. Alright so she talked to you and touched you. So?"

"She was interfering. Another white girl trying to prove she knows everything about us poor Indians."

Red laughed again. "Doubt it. Probably just like her mom. Trying to help. Just the way they both are. Better than her dad and granddad wouldn't you say?"

Ezra did not answer.

Red growled. "I asked you a question boy."

"Yessir."

"Good. Now let's go home." Red stepped over his bike and settled into the seat. Ezra tightened the straps of his pack, then stepped onto the back clutching the grip bars along the seat. No one held Red when he rode. Ezra studied the large Reaper patch on the back of his grandfather's cut, with SONS OF ANARCHY over the reaper and OKLAHOMA below. His grandfather also had President and Unholy One on his right breast, and Oklahoma on the left. Wilmington rode on the left side, and Oklahoma on the ride, both just above the hem of the leather vest.

His grandfather was the founding member of the Oklahoma charter of the infamous Sons of Anarchy Motorcycle club. His dad and uncles were all the first to join, and his dad was the Vice President. The club had been in Oklahoma for just over twenty years by this point, only two years longer than the whole club had existed, but as of yet it was still the only chapter in Oklahoma at all, and though not every member were Willowfoots, every Willowfoot was a member. Ezra desperately wanted to be in the club. It had become his family's world, and even the Becketts didn't dare oppose the might of the Sons. But he couldn't actually join until he turned 18. Those were the rules. So he bided his time.

Red noted the Beckett girl by the doors as he pulled his glasses door, and gunned the engine of his bike, quickly joined by the others. The sound was thunderous and made every head turn. Then Red released the brake and they were off, a convoy of black riders, even the three giggling little girls in their colorful helmets could not dispel the ominous presence of the riders as they rolled onto the streets they ruled with a hand of steel.

The unmistakable roaring of the Harley engines were a sound Wilmington had gotten used to, yet still drafted everyone's attention. At first their presence shocked most newcomers, big burly men wearing cuts and riding Harleys. Something that shocked most of the regular town's people back in the day was that the Willowfoot's were the founders of the motorcycle club in Oklahoma. Since then everyone has tolerated the Indians on their bikes. Sean Beckett believed in the near future the Sons would have many outside the Indian community joining their club.

Samantha watched Ezra and his sister ride off with the Sons, the loud engines roaring as they disappeared in the distance.

"Ezra is one fine piece of as- "

"Okay, Tiffany I get it" Samantha chcukled, kicking her bicycle stand down.

Tiffany sighed "Do you think I stand a chance?"

"Nope" Samantha fastened her purple helmet "Ezra Willowfoot is going to date and marry Pocahontas" Tiffany began laughing uncontrollably, watching her blonde brown eyed friend ride off on her black bicycle.

"Bye" Samantha shouted from the distance. Riding home from school was Samantha's way of exercising and taking the freedom her father offered. It took her fifteen minutes, riding through the suburbs and town to her family's home. Samantha rode down the long driveway, stopping at the front door, dropping her bike on the lawn. The Beckett estate consisted of a large white two story house, a pool located at the back and a horse farm to the right, with three acres of riding and grazing area.

"Mom I'm home" Samantha announced

"In the kitchen"

Samantha entered the kitchen, peering over her mother's shoulder. A woman who looked not a day over thirty. Marcia Beckett formerly known as Marcia Hayworth was the wife of Sean Beckett and a well loved woman of Wilmington. Her blonde hair, green eyes and clear skin and king heart gave her the reputation of most beautiful among the town's people.

"How was your day?"

Samantha shrugged "Fine, not much" she grabbed a bottle water taking a sip as she took a seat near the counter. "I met three Willowfoot girls today, Ezra's younger sisters. They were reading in the school library, they're cute. A lot different from their brother"

Marcia gave her daughter a stern look "Its not Ezra's fault. Fauna would have a lot of influence over her girls. The Willowfoot men can be just as stubborn as the Beckett men. It doesn't mean they're bad people"

Samantha rolled her eyes "Ezra doesn't try to be anything but angry all the time."

"Don't forget we have market tomrrow"

"Yeah yeah" Samantha replied nonchalantly. Every Saturday her mother would go to the Willowfoot market to get fresh produce for the week. It became tradition that Samantha would accompany her after having breakfast at a local cafe.

Marcia watched as Samantha left the kitchen, guzzling her water. A small smile played at the corners of her lips. For she too thought the same of Thomas Willowfoot until they dated. She loved the man in her younger days, until they could no longer be together. Part of Marcia wanted Samantha too get to know Ezra, to see he was not as she perceived. Another part of her wanted Samantha to remain as far away from the Willowfoot male as humanly possible.

The Willowfoots had a much longer ride as their compound was in the center of their massive farm, and Red refused to take the farm roads on the bikes for good reason. Thirty minutes after leaving the school they pulled into home. Ezra got off the bike and immediately went to his sisters helping them out of the sidecars and their helmets, then started to follow them inside when Red called his name. "Sir?"

Red was standing in the door of the chapel as the club members filed past him. "Go get your dad. He's in the North Forest."

Ezra nodded and went across the plaza to a large open face tractor garage. The compound was laid out in a horseshoe shape, all triple fenced, with a monstrous ten foot brick wall ringing the inner run. This had served to protect the survival garden sixty years earlier, and now the club used it as protection. The compound only had one driving entrance, which connected the wall and the three fences, while the buildings had all been replaced or altered for strength and safety from fire.

Ezra hung his backpack on a hook, climbed onto a four wheeler, flicked it into gear then started it with a chugging rumble, then took off out the gate, turning to first circle the compound, checking the fence and walls, the dogs within chasing him happily, barking excitedly. He smirked then turned north again. The ride took some while as the forest was on the northern edge of the property, and though short in actual distance, the many hills, valleys and other natural obstacles slowed him. As he went he also checked on the herds he could see, the hundreds of lowing cattle, the wild mustangs who were tearing across the turf. He also passed one of his mother's goat herds on a brush covered hill, munching happily. The animals seemed fine, and once he mounted a larger hill he cut along a small rain stream that fell down into the pond at the base of the hill, rolled across the outer lip of the pond, then down into the forest, where his father was driving the timber tractor.

It was a monster, and massively expensive. It was big enough to push nearly any tree over, and was mounted with both large grip hooks, and a winged double saw, then another pair of hooking arms for shifting and hauling the logs, especially right into the trimmer, which stripped and mulched the branches, then placed the logs onto the long low trailer behind the logging truck. Ezra let the wheeler roll on as he leaned out of the seat, hanging on my his fingertips as he scooped up a dirt clod, then stopped some distance from the tractor as it dropped another tree.

He hefted the clod, checked it for rocks, then hurled it at the tractor making it thud hard against the thick lexan of the cab. He grinned as his father jumped then glared at him. He turned everything off and opened the door of the cab and stepped out. "What the hell was that boy?!"

Ezra grinned even more. "Pops wants you dad. You're the one said we can't come within a hundred yards of this thing while running. I can't shout that loud."

"What's he want?"

"They're in church."

"Oh." Thomas turned and grabbed his own cut, then stepped down going to the four wheeler. Ezra had stepped off waiting for orders still smirking. Ezra, Thomas, and Red could have been brothers they looked so alike, and were all within inches of each other's height. Thomas smirked at his son. "alright smartass. Load the trailer and bring it back to the house. You have practice this weekend?"

Ezra shook his head. "Anything else?"

"Nope." He studied the boy, then grabbed him and pulled him into a crushing hug. Ezra gasped then laughed hugging him back. Thomas let him go then set off for home, while Ezra went over to the tractor and got to work. He made sure to spot the boundary marker, three oddly placed yellow painted trees that served to mark where the Willowfoot north forest, and the Beckett's south forest began. They were some distance away, but clearly seen. He nodded and got to work, also taking careful note of how many trees had been removed, and once the trailer was fully loaded he turned off the tractor, locked it's gears and the cab, then went to the trimmer. It had specially added box atop it, which he opened and from which removed small trees. For every tree cut he planted two more, then he planted the last six simply to have it done. He then shut and locked the box and the trimmer, then tied off the large canvas bag of mulch now on the trailer.

He noted that several Beckett men were in their half of the forest surveying the trees but said nothing as he also chained the trimmer to the tractor, then climbed into the logging truck and set off after his father.

Once back home he parked the truck and grabbed one of his cousins. They went back out on the four wheeler and collected the tractor and trimmer and brought them home as well, then they both went into the big house for dinner.

After dinner Ezra joined his sisters, grandmother and the other ladies, and his other underage cousins in preparing for the market. The men came out of the church and joined in, packing everything into the refrigerated trailer until it was fully loaded. Once this was done Ezra went back to the main house with his father and sisters to check on his mother.

Fauna was deep into her ninth month of her fifth pregnancy and had been forbidden by the whole family by exerting herself. A strong beautiful woman, much like her friend Marcia Beckett, she still held her youthful countenance save for the bulging belly, and her bright loving smile welcomed them all inside. Ezra still marveled at this as it was beyond clear that she was more than ready to give birth, and was sick of living in the sitting room as she couldn't handle the stairs. The girls went to her first for their hugs and kisses, then Thomas, sitting by his bride, his usual scowl replaced with the smile only she could draw out. Ezra stayed back until she spotted him and waved him over, straining to push herself up onto the edge of the couch. Ezra went to her and kissed her cheek, carefully hugging her.

"The girls said they met Samantha Beckett today. Said she was really nice and very pretty."

Ezra shrugged. Fauna sighed. "Ezra sweetheart did she do anything to you?"

"She touched me..."

Fauna rolled her eyes. "Ezra you have to get over that. Did she do anything actually offensive?"

Ezra started to answer then looked at Ruthie who was coloring happily. "No ma'am."

"Good. Now she'll be at the market tomorrow. I want you to apologize for being rude."

"But Mom-" He yelped as she grabbed his ear. "Ezra Alan Willowfoot you are going to apologize. I will not let you disgrace this family just because you don't like being touched. Am I understood?"

"Yes ma'am."

"Good. Now give me a kiss and go do your homework." Ezra obeyed. "Love you baby boy."

He smiled. "Love you too mom." And left the room. Red and his own wife, Ilysa, were in the door of the library kissing. Ezra sighed and went up the main stairs to his room. Two hours later the homework was done and he was out cold while his CD player rolled.

Saturday mornings at the Beckett household had been the same since Marcia Beckett gave birth to her last child Brandon, five years ago. Samantha would prepare pancakes, the favourite dish of the two youngest Beckett's. A dish that was never complete without maple syrup, whipped cream, fresh strawberries and fresh orange juice. Sean Beckett unlike his two sons Chase and Brandon, preferred scrambled eggs, fried sausages and hash browns, with a piping hot cup of freshly brewed Brazilian coffee.

Those duties were given to Samantha while her mother prepared the baskets for market. Both mother and daughter left the estate every Saturday at seven o'clock to have their morning breakfast at Joe's cafe before heading to the green market, located in the heart of Wilmington. Saturday had been the only day all farmers could set up stalls along the main street to sell their goods. Green market had been a tradition for many generations. Housewives would take the opportunity to shop, and gossip outdoors. Restaurant owner's would scout stalls, checking which farms had the best of the best when it came to produce. The Willowfoots were known for their products and had most stalls . Over the years green market had become, Willowfoot market.

Sean hugged Marcia from behind as she slipped in her small pearl earrings, bringing out the cream knee length dress, and matching heels.

"All this for a market..." He inhaled her lavender scented perfume with a smile. Sean knew very well his wife dressed elegantly anywhere she went. It was what attracted him to her in the first place.

"Do you like it?" She smirked

"I do." His hands snaked their way down to the hem, slipping his fingers beneath the dress to carress her bare skin.

"Sean!l She squirmed as her husband's hands worked their way higher.

"Come on, you can miss market today." He spun her around, placing a hungry kiss on the lips he loved so much "I've got three hours to spare before I need to be in the station.." he whispered, hands running lighting along the length of his wife's womanhood.

A moan escaped Marcia's lips, giving Sean the okay to hoist her onto the vanity. Ready to take his wife in all ways possible for the next three hours. Marcia kissed her husband's lips lovingly as he slipped off her panty.

"Give Sam the list, and keys to the truck." He stepped back, giving his wife space to pass, not before smacking her bottom.

Marcia found her daughter tying her blonde tresses into a messy bun, and slipping a black bando to the front, pushing back her fly away hair. Samantha wore a black knee length dress decorated with white polka dots, and her signature brown cowgirl boots. The spitting image of her mother in everyway except the eyes. Unlike her younger brothers, Samantha inherited the chocolate brown Beckett eyes.

Marcia stepped inside the room to adjusting Samantha's bando. Taking much pride in the beauty she became. The teenager eyed her mother suspiciously, their eyes connecting from the reflection in Samantha's vanity mirror.

Marcia smiled "I want you to take the truck and go to market today. Your father needs my help with somethings"

"Uh...okay" Samantha got her license earlier on in the year and would run errands. Growing up on the estate meant that she learned the art of driving at the age of fourteen. Sean made certain his daughter knew how to ride a horse, drive a manual vehicle and use a gun.

"Take your brothers with you for the drive. Also there is a care package in the truck, give it to a Willowfoot. It's for Fauna Willowfoot, I heard she was expecting so I baked a basket of things."

Samantha shook her head in disbelief "Tsk. tsk. tsk. Way too nice"

" And you'd do well if you follow in my footsteps. Please...don't forget the care package."

"Yeah yeah" Samantha replied from down the hall

Marcia glared knowing her daughter's forgetful nature "You better not come back home with it still in the truck Samantha! And take your brother's to the park...get them some ice cream "

"Yes mother..." Samantha drawled

"Chase! Brandon!" Their mother called "Go with your sister."

Samantha did not need to look twice before her to younger brothers were hopping into the back seat of her mother's red double cab pick up. She grabbed her purse, keys and mothers wallet before leaving the house. Marcia waited patiently till the red truck disappeared from the long driveway, her children finally gone for at least an hour or two. She locked the doors and headed back up to her husband with much excitement.

Samantha took the highway from the Beckett estate, windows down, the breezeblowing wildly at her face as she sang along to the soft tune on the radio. It took them twenty- five minutes to arrive in the heart of town. The streets already laiden with shoppers and stalls. Samantha carefully pulled into an empty space on the far end of everything.

"Okay guys hop out" She took the basket, her mother's list and purse before rolling up the windows and locking the car. The care package still sitting on the seat wrapped nicely in coloured cloth with a bow.

I'll deliver you when I locate a Willowfoot.

Samantha walked slowly behind her brothers, making Chase hold Brandon's hand as they entered the market area. The street had been cordoned off, no vehicles allowed through until market hours were over. However she took no chances with Brandon and his tendency to wander off.

"Sammy, can we get candy apples?" Brandon begged, his green eyes squinting under the glare of the sun.

Samantha eyed the stall selling the sweet treat, pondering on the answer before eventually giving in. "Munching should keep you guys busy...while I shop"

After purchasing two green apples on a stick covered in caramel she began her shopping. Heading to the Willowfoot vegetable stall first, many people gathered checking produce and purchasing. Leaving Samantha to the back of the line, peering and tip toeing over the people as she clutched her mothers list. Occasionally looking down to make sure that her siblings where there

Ilysa was sitting behind the vegetable stall watching the people come and go, while keeping a close eye on her grandchildren. The girls were managing the meat and bread stall, all fresh cuts and freshly baked, while Red handled the broiling grill. The Willowfoots didn't take payment for their cooked meals as they didn't have the proper license, but they did enjoy the heavy tips they received.

The fruit stall was in the shadow of the trailer, with Fauna and Thomas sitting beneath. The jam/jelly/and preserves stall was the next over, with one of Ezra's aunt's in charge, as the rest of the family were in charge of the further stalls, with more ready to cook and eat meals, juice, fresh milk, tanned furs and skins, and nearly a dozen others.

Ezra was going in and out of the trailer hauling boxes and totes, his shirtless torso gleaming with sweat.

He had just dropped off more fruit when his mother nudged him and pointed at Samantha. He started to argue then saw the look on her face. He sighed and looked for his shirt but couldn't find it. He shrugged and went over to Samantha.

"Hey... I wanted to apologize for yesterday. That was really rude of me." He watched her face calmly, his shoulder length jet black hair tied back into a thick ponytail, his chest still rising and falling slowly, making his chiseled form stand out even more. He bit his lip then sighed. "Thanks for coming...You want your mom's usual purchase list?"

Fauna had Marcia's preferred items memorized.

SamanthaSamantha noticed Ezra walking briskly in her direction, wearing nothing but jeans. Simply thinking the young Indian would pass her straight, his destination not her but behind her, her eyes returned to the line.

When she heard Ezra voice with the regular greeting Smanthja froze like ice in the Artic. Had he spoken to her or someone near. After their encounter yesterday it was highly impossible. No way is he talking to me.

Her illusion shattered just as quickly as it had been conceived when Ezra kept speaking. Samantha, having no other choice, turned to face him. There had been no simple, I'm sorry like people their age would usually resort too. Samantha felt his sincerity, but well thought out sentences never meant the speaker was always pure of heart. She refused to think any less however and accepted with the grace She had been taught.

"It's not your fault really, I probably would've been the same way if someone came to me like that about my brothers." Her eyes met his apologetically "I'm sorry too.."

Samantha's eyes widen when Ezra asked about her mother's list "Oh my god, Thank you!" She handed over the list "I suck at this..." She indicated to the long line with a smile. "And I'm really hungry too so like this line is torture"

Chase stared cautiously at Ezra from behind Samantha's leg. His first time being to the market, seeing all the Willowfoots in one place.

Ezra spotted the boy and smiled. "It's alright. Mom is getting Marcia's stuff. Now you young man I think you could use a donut. Come with me."

He lead the boy and Samantha over to the bread stall where true to his word a large rack of donuts sat. He took one out and gave it Samantha, then another onto a plate and held it out to Chase.

Fauna peeked out. "hey Samantha. I was hoping to see your mother today. Her order will be ready in a bit."

She turned and waddled back to the trailer. Ezra smirked watching her go. "She's guna pop soon."

Ruthie peeked around the stall. "Hi Samantha. I made those donuts."

Ezra nodded. "True she did. But they're pretty good anyway." He dodged her aimed kicked grinning wickedly.

In the excitement of receiving a donut, Chase ran off, trailing closely behind Ezra. Samantha had no time to protest Ezra's offerings as the tall boy had already been halfway to the stall by the time she registered what had been happening.

"Come on Brandon" She took his hand, trying not to laugh at his little mouth chewing at the candied apple.

"You didn't have too do this, Chase ate a candied apple a few minutes ago" She however accepted the donut biting into it immediately. Gorging at it like she had not eaten for weeks. Chase happily took his, with a big thank you sent Ezra's way.

When Fauna Willowfoot hailed Samantha, she swallowed the donut, almost choking on the powdered goodness. "My mom had
some things to do" Marcia Beckett never missed market unless absolutely necessary. It had been the only time she was able to mingle with Fauna freely. Samantha knew how much her mother loved catching up with Ezra's mother. They were a pair that could talk for hours.

"Our mothers are such good friends...it's such a shame they're on opposite ends" Her eyes met Ezra "Pop out another one of your responsibilities"

Samantha grinned at Ruthie and Ezra's exchange "I can't even make donuts, so that's awesome" She stooped, high fiveing the little girl. Seeing Ezra smile like he did was rather an unusual thing to witness. Samantha understood why her mother advised her to ft to know him. What he showed others could be far from what he actually was.

Brandon tugged Samantha's dress "I don't want this anymore..." handing over a half eaten apple " Can I have one?" He asked, pointing to the rack of donuts.

Samantha rolled her eyes, giving Ezra an annoyed look " Thank God it's you, and not me.." Her mother giving birth again would all but drive her insane.Samantha plucked a twenty dollar bill from her purse, handing it over to Ezra. "For the two you gave us, and another one for this rugrat"

He ignored the money giving Brandon a donut, and started to speak when his usual scowl returned. "Pardon me."

He snapped his fingers and Ruthie grabbed Samantha's hand. "You should stay here...." She looked very frightened. "Mommy!"

Fauna turned carefully, moving with the ungainly waddle only pregnant women have. She looked at her daughter then at her son and winced.

Ezra had moved away while Ruthie had taken Samantha's hand. He went over to one of the smaller stalls, one not connected to the Willowfoots at all, where an older couple were trying, without success, to get three of Samantha and Ezra's peers to stop playing catch with their items. The three boys were laughing and saying some truly rude things, while the couple tried to catch the items, in this case glass jars with herbal remedies. The couple, also Indians, were off the nearest rez, and lived off the income from their sales.

The boys were getting wilder and wilder as they called out insults and teased the old man, and in their glee, they missed two jars that hurtled toward the ground. Ezra caught both and set them on the counter, then snatched the other three jars away from the boys putting them down as well. "Gentlemen we have a rule at this market. Unless you have paid you don't touch the merchandise."

The boys were large farmboys, each bigger than Ezra, and were all taller. They smirked as one and the leader grunted. "Oh look. Another red nigger. What the fuck do you want boy?"

Ezra smiled sweetly. "I want you to either pay these fine people for their goods or leave them be."

"And what if we won't red nigger?"

Ezra continued to smile sweetly. "We also don't appreciate that kind of language. I will have to insist you pay and take your goods then leave, or just leave."

The leader moved forward and jabbed Ezra in the chest with a filthy fingernail. "And just who the fuck is guna-" He shrieked as Ezra grabbed his hand and wrenched way too far the wrong way, nearly snapping the wrist, while his foot flashed out and caught the boy right in the balls, then he shoved the boy into his fellows.

Yelling with rage they shoved their screaming friend aside, unknowingly sending him face first into the pavements, skinning him badly, and rushed Ezra. Ezra had already moved away from the stall and surprised them both by meeting their charge, trapping one with his shoulder, the other catching a sweeping uppercut to the jaw, making him land on the leader, who shrieked yet again. Ezra then grabbed the third and with eerie ease raised him fully over his head, then threw him down onto the other two. They all screamed then lay there whimpering as Ezra turned to the older couple, speaking to them in their native language, waving away their thanks as he dug out some money. He both four jars of some remedy and put two of them by the fallen boys. "For your booboos, and for your face. Don't come back."

He took the other two jars and made his way back to his family while some Sons gathered up the fallen idiots and dragged them out. He went to his mother and gave her the jars. "One is tea for the baby and your soreness, the other is for dad. Oh and Arna would like to speak to you some time today."

Fauna nodded studying the jars. "Did you have to handle it that way?"

"They were here for trouble mom. Might as well get it done quickly ya know?...Did the girls hear....?"

She shook her head gesturing at the girls who she had dragged behind the stall, along with Brandon and Chase, all of them watching an unconcerned Red barbecue huge steaks. "They didn't need to hear or see that." She looked at her son, then her eyes flicked to his side. He didn't turn. "Sorry Dad. But if the club had handled it...."

Thomas grunted but said nothing. Ezra gestured at Red. "Grandpa is making Newton's steak. He'll be alright."

As if summoned Wilmington Police Department officers Edwin Newton and his partner Hilda Eubanks came into the market, going right for Ezra. He explained everything, freely admitting to what he had done. When he had finished, Red turned up with a large steak, cooked exactly to Newton's taste, while Eubanks was given a large rack of ribs. "On the house officers. You need to arrest my boy?"

Edwin dug into his steak so Hilda was forced to answer. "No. Arna and Titus, " She gestured at the older couple. "Back up his side. But you can't just knock people out for being idiots Ezra."

Ezra grinned. "Yes ma'am. You best eat those ribs fast. Some tiny people were trying to get Red to give them up." She blinked then looked over at the three girls who were watching her hungrily. Red chuckled and went back to his grill setting up more ribs and calling out for other as the smell of fine pork and beef filled the air.

tThe market atmosphere took a sudden change when Ruthie grabbed onto Samantha's hand. Urging the older girl to stay close, calling out to her mother. The change had not only been present in Ruthie's frightened face but also in Ezra's eyes. His faces expressed a seriousness and anger far more terrifying than what Samantha witnessed in the library the day before.

Fauna Willowfoot took her three daughters behind their stall. Beckoning Brandon and Chase Beckett to join them. When Samantha saw the scene that unfolded next she could not be more grateful to Mrs Willowfoot for shielding her brothers like she did her own children. The obscene language and sheer disgust that the three boys showed towards Ezra proved how much hatred some people still held for the Indians. Samantha was given a front row seat to the discrimination they were forced to live with.

"Chase and Bran come on, it's time to go" The boys emerged from behind the stall, begging to stay. "No we're not staying" Whatever the Willowfoots needed to sort out had nothing to do with them. Keeping her brothers there could prove dangerous. Any older sibling would do what was right. Samantha watched the three girls behind the stall, her eyes travelling to Ezra chatting with the police and his parents. He had only been doing what was right by his family, protecting them from danger.

She made her way slowly to Ezra when his conversation with the police was over, two brothers at her side. Not wanting to bring up the situation in front of them Samantha simply asked what she needed too.

"I'm suppose to take these two for ice cream down at the park" She glanced back at these tall where his three sisters sat "maybe I can't take all of them...get them away from this..." Her eyes met his. "They'll have fun playing together, I can totally bring them back to the rez when we're done "

Ezra looked at his mother who nodded. "Go ahead." He gave his siblings a ten apiece, then grabbed one of his cousins to go with Samantha and the little ones. The girl was only a few years older than Janice and her siblings, but she was taller and she bore the hard look most of them did at the moment.

Ezra nodded to Samantha then went to a large stack of items nearby and started hauling them to her truck loading things carefully. Once done with that he fell to loading up other vehicles as the recent excitement had brought in even more people and they had been eager to buy, especially the heavy woven mats and rugs. The Willowfoots not only offered protection to all vendors but also had long ago promised help in such matters.

Ezra then got stalled teaching some kids how to play with a number of the toys from another stall. They were many and numerous, and most of them performed multiple tasks. The kids were quite taken. Ezra seemed to actually glow as he played and spoke with the children. Unlike the trio of morons they held no hate or spite and were eager to play with and buy the toys.

After some time with the children he then went to a newer stall where a pair of women were serving up tea and coffee. Seeing them he laughed and tried some of the tea. "Still gross my dears." He ducked a thrown tea bag and laughed again. "DO you have any sweet tea?"

He finally went back to his family's stalls sipping his large cup of green tea sighing happily.

SamanthaSamantha packed all the little ones in the backs eat comfortably. Chase and Janice talking to each other excitedly, Brandon staring at Laila and Ruthie like they were aliens that were invading his space. With the kids all inside, Ezra's cousin keeping an eye on them while Samantha helped Ezra pack her mother's things in the back of the truck. Samantha securing the baskets with two medium bails of hay. Bringing bruised vegetables and fruits to her mother would not end well for her.

Samantha got into her truck, backing out and driving away. Completely forgetting to pay the Willowfoots until she arrived with the kids at the park and had been paying for everyone's ice cream. Their little faces lit up as their tongues licked away at the scoops of cold sweet goodness sitting on top the comes. Samantha sat with Ezra's country on the park bench eating ice cram, the children sitting on the grass in front of them.

Someone's hand covered the blonde's eyes, sending her vision from light to darkness.

"Tiffany?" She said skeptically

The person's hand left her eyes, holding her head gently tipping it backwards.

"Coli-" Her words were cut off by her boyfriends lips engulfing hers.

Chase groaned, looking away as continued to Colin kiss his sister. The young boy had been privy to a brutal exchange between Colin and Samantha that caused him to dislike the tall, blue eyed athlete. Never breathing a word of it to his parents due to a promise Samatha made him agree too. Despite being only nine years of age his promises meant something to him. Yet he had still been too young to know that by telling someone he would be protecting his older sister.

Samantha chuckled into Colin's lips "Stop.." They were in the park, with many people around. Including Ezra's siblings and cousin, close by.

"Fine fine" Colin helped her off the bench, holding her hand as they stepped away.

"What are you doing here?" She asked

"Throwing ball with the guys" Colin's gaze flickered to the Indians Samantha had been sitting with "What you doing with them?"

"We're getting ice cream" She licked her cone "They're Ezra's family "

"Soo you're hanging with the red nigger now?

Samantha bit her lip, shaking her head lightly. "I'm not hanging out with him...it's just.."

"Just what Samantha?"

Colin waited for Samantha to say something. His patience weared thin when she struggled to find an explanation. Samantha did not know what her relationship was with the Willowfoots, or why she ws suddenly being so friendly. Colin stormed off angrily before she could give him a proper answer. His temper had been something Samantha constantly found herself dealing with since their relationship began two years ago.

"We're here.." She announced pulling up in front the Willowfoot compound. With the family history, going inside was not an option. Bennett's did not step foot on Willowfoot land, like Willowfoot's did not step foot on theirs. "Go tell Ezra we're here.." She said to his cousin. Samantha still needed to pay for their goods and deliver her mother's care package. She smiled slightly, g
lancing back at his sister's in the backseat " Did y'all have a good time?"

Ezra's cousin, Maki, had heard everything Colin said, but had said nothing to Samantha or the little ones who had a grand time playing after eating their ice cream. The girls had taught Brandon and Chase a new way of climbing the playground equipment that lead to a game of Peter Pan that Maki had been dragged into as hook. Soon the playground had been aswarm with an impromptu siege upon "Hook's" Jolly Roger by an alliance of Janice/Tiger Lilly's Indians and Brandon/Peter Pan's Lost boys.

Maki, well trained in the art of such games, had gotten hold of the park's ball and pool toy collection, which had included numerous nerf and foam weapons and the game had gotten quite elaborate. At one point some mothers had been horrified to see Maki actually make Chase walk the plank, making the boy squeal in mock terror, as he plunged to his 'doom' down the spiral slide where he spilled to a rolling stop feigning death after a rather brutal crocodile attack. Janice had then decided he should 'be' the croc and the game had gotten very fierce 9yet still safe) then. Of course Peter and Tiger Lily had won, Hook had been eaten by the croc, Smee had stolen all the loot he could carry, and the Jolly Roger was in flames. The girls had been so taken by the game and Brandon and Chase that they had begged Samantha to make arrangements for similar games every market day. only one person had come away with any mark, and that was Maki who had been overwhelmed by a volley of dodgeballs and had slipped into the slide and fallen backwards right into the jaws of the croc, but bumping her head before Chase could nab her.

Once home Maki went inside, pausing as Ezra came out to explain to him in a tongue she was certain Samantha did not know, about Colin. She also told him about Samantha, what she had observed. Ezra, like his grandfather and father, was the eldest of his generation and had been given tentative command of such matters by his grandparents to ensure the safety and health of his siblings and cousins. He nodded at her words and skipped down the steps.

He was dressed now, though barefoot, in jeans and a loose tshirt, though neither did very well at containing his lithe mass. He went first to the backseat and helped his sisters out and down, then nodded to the boys. "gentlemen. Thank you for caring for the ladies so kindly."

He then turned his back on them, leaning on the truck's door as he spoke to Samantha. As he did three of his male cousins, younger than him but all massive fellows, appeared and began putting more goods into the truck. "My mother and grandmother's orders. They said Marcia could use some of these for her cooking and the seeds for her garden. And They won't take money for the extra." The extra were all of Marcia's favorite to eat and cook with, as Fauna well knew.

Ezra did take the money and nodded at the care package which his cousins collected. "Listen thank you for taking care of the girls. Truly. And Again...sorry for being a dick." His eyes were still empty of emotion, and entirely unreadable, but he sounded and seemed sincere.

His cousins finished and called out something then walked away without looking back. Ezra answered. Brandon asked. "What did you say?"

"I said thanks in Sioux."

"Can you teach me?"

"Up to your parents kiddo."

When the boys packed more things into the truck Samantha's face showed utter disbelief. The kindness Fauna Willowfoot bestowed on them had been magnificent. Samantha had never known the woman to be anything but kind. How the Beckett's and Willowfoot kept a feud burning for generations had been beyond Samantha's comprehension.

The way the Willowfoot girls and Beckett boys played together in harmony gave the future hope. The hope that their generation could break the cycle. A drastic change would be required, like the ancient times. Wars ended with a marriage, friendship or alliances.

Brandon the youngest Beckett pouted "Fine.." His little blonde head dipped back into the truck as he sat back down.

Samantha shook her head in disbelief " I think they're all best friends now, its crazy" Her eyes involuntarily scanned Ezra's silhouette. Much preferring his shirtless form. "Your sisters want to do this every Saturday...just thought let you know"

Brandon's head popped up again, his green eyes looking expectantly at Ezra "If I learn it, can I get one of the big bike's?"

Ezra laughed at the boy's displeasure. "A child should obey his parents kiddo. And i wouldn't want to distract you from your other studies."

He turned to Samantha. "Maki mentioned that. i think it's a good idea. burn off their energy."

He blinked at Brandon's question and turned to look at him over his shoulder, leaving most of his chest and his left arm in Samantha's window. "That's both up to your parents and later my Grandpa little dude. Even in the OK you gotta be at least 16 to ride a motorcycle. And you have to learn first. Those big bikes are plenty heavy. You get their approval first. Then I'll take you to see Red."

He turned back to Samantha and winked then patted the door. "You drive careful. If the boys want to go to the park or anything soon call me and we'll work it out." he gave her the official Willowfoot Farms card, a lincoln green smooth job, with a deepset willow tree imprinted into the green. The foot of the tree was black and shaped like the foot of a bird, with five distinct roots spreading out into the words and numbers.

"Alright Miss Beckett. Mister And Mister Beckett. It was lovely to see you all. have a good day."

He stepped back waving.

Back
Top Bottom