Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

One Simple Job (MissM & causeway25oclock)

RE: One Simple Job (Solo campaign)

With a flourish, Krystala drew both of her blades, taking up a combat stance. Her red-brown eyes peered into the underbrush, attempting to identify the approaching foes.

When the orcs burst through the trees, they weren't expecting the prey they were trailing to be ready and waiting. That, at least, gave them some pause. It was a good thing too - if Elizabeth hadn't stopped the cart, they would have gone for the horses first. "Women! Take them!" one of them roared in orcish. Two of them stepped forward with axes ready. Two more stood just behind them with bows drawn.

"Right... orcs," Krystala muttered. Not particularly intelligent, but not a foe she'd want to get into a prolonged fight with. She'd have to be careful.

Slipping forward, she moved to engage one of the axe orcs first. Although she wasn't exactly thrilled about it, she was a lot better equipped than her allies.
Attacks:
Damage:

The orc managed to deflect Krystala's first attack with his shield, but the second one left a harsh slash across his chest. In a rage, he tried to retaliate, but he was in too much pain to lift his weapon. (Rolled a 1 to hit.) The other one, however, took advantage of the situation, slashing across Krystala's side. (23 to hit, 7 points of damage).

The orcs with bows fired off shots at Elizabeth. She dodged one, but the other managed to nick her with an arrow. She loosed an arrow back and struck one of them dead center. Her wolf leapt forward and bit into him, taking him to the ground.

HP: 18/25

Krystala hissed at the blow; it was shallow, though, and merely stung. Taking advantage of the first's wounds, she waited a moment, holding her blades out to keep them at bay, while she tried to identify the best place to strike the wounded orc. Then, she lashed out with a carefully-executed blow.

Move Action: Studied Target.

The next hit went cleanly across the orcs throat, slicing deep. He collapsed into a heap. The other orc, unnerved by the ease with with his companion went down, swung wide (14).

Nearby, Elizabeth and the last enemy did their best to take cover behind the trees, taking cover from each other's attacks.

Turning on the second orc, Krystala likewise took the time to analyze his defenses before striking.

Move: Studied Target

The orc barely raised his shield in time to block, but his next attack went wide again(15). Another arrow hit the tree behind Elizabeth, but hers went firmly into the enemy's leg. The two women were steadily pushing back the attackers.

"Made a mistake, orc!" She hissed, and launched a flurry of attacks with deadly precision.

Attack 2

Before he could make his retreat, Krystala's blades brought the orc down right next to his companion, spraying his blood on the trees around them. The other one turned and tried to limp away, but an arrow landed between his shoulderblades with a heavy thunk. He didn't even make it back into the jungle.

"We've got to go, now!" Elizabeth said urgently, leaping back into the cart. She shoved Del back into the driver's seat and kept her bow at the ready. "The smell of blood will attract predators. We don't have time to dawdle."

Nodding, Krystala retreated back into the cart, barely taking the time to wipe the black blood from her blades. Once she was in, she kept one sabre drawn, remaining on the lookout.

Once everyone was back inside, they started moving again. The last orcs boots were barely out of sight when they heard the snarling and snapping of scavengers biting into the bodies. At least a full minute passed before Elizabeth started to relax. She sighed a breath of relief and set down her bow, wincing in pain as the adrenaline left her body. Her injury was shallow, but it hurt. She took a healer's kit out of her bag and lowered her pants to bandage up her leg. "How are you holding up?" she asked.

"They nicked me a bit," Krystala said, "but I've had worse. Just a flesh wound, really. I hope it didn't mess up my tattoo though." Depending on how observant Elizabeth was, it would be hard for her not to miss the way Krystala checked her out as she took her pants off.

Elizabeth noticed Krystala watching her and blushed. She finished cleaning and bandaging her leg and pulled her pants back on. "You might as well let me do you too," she said, turning redder as she realized how that could be taken. "Your bandages! I can...you're bleeding, so...Oh, just come here." With permission, she would have no trouble taking care of the cut. As she said, it was just a flesh wound - one that missed her tattoo by a few inches as luck would have it.

"Well, love, as long as your pants are off..." she goaded, chuckling as she did so. "Ah, might as well. Normally I wouldn't fuss about it, but in a jungle like this, would be rather awful it it started to fester, no?" She pulled her shirt up a little to give the half-elf better access.

"Not while I'm on the clock," she muttered bashfully. Krystala was right though, an infection was probably the worst thing that could happen to a person out here. Or at least, it would slow you down enough for the actual worst things to catch you easily. It only took her a couple of minutes to bandage the wound. She nodded for Krys to lower her top and went back to the rear of the cart to keep watch.

"Later, then," she teased. "Thanks for the patch up job," she said, and kept watch at the front of the cart. The journey was long, miserable and tedious. Some fun with the half-elf would actually be quite welcome.

The next few hours passed quietly. Elisabeth was thankful for that. As long as orcs were the worst thing they had to worry about, it was an easy trip. By the time they reached the next village it was nearing sunset. They had to pass through another heavy gate to get inside, and once there, the guards stopped them for an inspection. Once Del showed them his paperwork, they were allowed to move on. He paid the girls the rest of their fees as well.

"I'll be staying in this village for the next two weeks. If you girls are still here then, I'd be more than happy to hire you for the return trip."

Elizabeth frowned at that. "Pleasant as that sounds Del, you'll have to find someone else for the job. I can't sit around doing nothing for two weeks. I'll be heading home tomorrow."

Krystala shrugged, when Del asked. "I've got some business to take care of here, and I don't know how long it will take. If I'm still in town when you're done, yeah."

She looked around this new settlement, learning its name from the guard when they first entered and trying to get a read on it. When Elizabeth announced her intentions, she said, "I'll buy you a drink tonight, then. As thanks for helping me out with those orcs."

Del shrugged and continued on his way alone. "Suit yourselves." The guard told her the town was called Harrik. It was a little better than the place they'd left, but not by much. This was where the merchants and traders from the various port towns met to trade before going back to wherever they came from. There was no capital of Lyra, but this was probably as close to one as there could be. As such, there was at least some semblance of peace here. There weren't many muggers or street thugs - but there were still smugglers and assassins plenty.

Elizabeth looked away from her, trying to hide her smirk. "Well, if you're buying, I guess I could use a drink. I happen to know a bar around here that's slightly less goblin-infested than most, if you're interested."

Krystala looked around at this Harrik. Not quite as big as Nobilis, but more upscale, if only just; at least it didn't look like the whole place would fall down with one wrong gust of wind. There was wealth here, too.

"Does it happen to serve a good Stirge's Venom?" She asked, clearly noticing the poorly hidden smirk. Oh yeah, this chick's into me...

"I've never asked before, but I should imagine so. I've never had a bad drink there," she said. She motioned for Krystala to follow and started walking towards the place. When they got inside, the most obvious thing to stand out was that everything was clean and nothing seemed to be broken. Most of the people here were either unarmed, or kept their weapons concealed, it seemed. The division was obvious though, with merchants and businessman sticking mainly to one side of the bar, and bodyguards and adventurers taking the other. Elizabeth moved towards an empty table on the latter half.

Krystala felt a little conspicuous here; despite still being one of the few humans, she almost felt more comfortable in the dive at Nobilis; at least there she knew what to expect. Still, she had to admit it was a nice change of pace. At the very least, she figured she could get a good drink here.

The bounty huntress went to the bar and ordered two drinks; one for Elizabeth, whatever she wanted, and a Stirge's Venom for herself. Once she got the bright green spirit, she brought them back to their table.

Elizabeth was fine with a plain ale. She wasn't much of a drinker, so she didn't want any more than that. And in a place like this, she found it better to keep her wits about her. "So, what are you hunting lizardfolk for anyway? No one messes with them, it isn't worth it. Normally I wouldn't ask, but you seem like you'd have more sense than that."

"I have an employer who's interested in... Certain artifacts that are connected to the lizardfolk. He's paying good money for me to scout them out, and learn anything interesting. What about you, love? Got someplace important to be?"

Back
Top Bottom