Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The Deeds of Matthias Felheart (Causeway/Grimsage)

causeway25oclock

Supernova
It was just after dawn when the mysterious figure known as Matthias Felheart arrived in the village of Luxom. The grim-looking young man had obviously seen a share of hardships disproportionate to his youth, given his weathered flesh, worn if yet sturdy armor, and the way he hefted the longaxe over his shoulder with determination and familiarity. His bearing was that of a warrior, and anyone with a modicum of sense could tell he was to be respected as such.

The village of Luxom seemed a rather dismal place. One of four villages in the region, Luxom was surrounded by bog and marsh, from which the townsfolk derived most of their living. Those who did not farm the few patches of workable land ventured into the bogs to cut peat, which were then either burned or sold to traveling merchants.

Matthias could tell that the townsfolk were suffering from some form of calamity, though what he could not immediately place. Their faces were marred by pain and fear, though they seemed well-fed and nourished.

"Excuse me, good sir," A young man approached him. "Are you by any chance a monster hunter?"

He was born in the Peaks of Karnige, where the only things that would not try and eat you were some of the sheep. And even then, it was recommended you be on your guard, just in case. Yet, for all his scared grimness, for all his ease with the weapons he uses, for the ease he walks in his armor, as he looks around the village, a pisspoor looking place, though hopefully they had a half way decent ale, or failing that, some whores willing to take a few coins.

Still, as the youth approached, the big man looked at him, his eyes narrowed. "I can be, if yer have the coin for it." He was no hero. He was by trade, a mercenary, and was loathe to risk himself for little possible gain.

"M'name's Tevos," The young man said, offering his hand. "Only reason I ask is that, ye look quite tough, and there's a monster that 'as been... well, making life terrible in the villages around here. If you're interested, go to the blacksmith Bromin; he's put together a fund to whatever man will drive the monster away. We've collected gilders* from this village, and the neighboring ones, so it should be a sizable pile of coin."

*A gold piece.

Taking the hand, the man shakes it, looking neither pleased nor disappointed, as grim and taciturn as ever, as he grips the hand. "I'll talk to him." With that, he would let go of the hand, and turn, looking for the smithy, dark eyes peeled.

As soon as he finds it, he would enter, looking around, checking to see if the smith was in.

The smithy was not hard to find, being one of the central buildings in town, along with the general store, inn, tavern, stables and the like. As Matthias approached, he kept an eye on the town. He noticed that, while there were adults and older folk about, there were very few young people visible at all.

The smith Bromin is out front, hammering on his anvil as the mercenary approached. He looked up, eyeing the stranger. "Can I help ye, good sir?" He asked in a gruff voice made hoarse by years of furnace smoke.

So, whatever the monster was, it liked the young ones? Two possible reasons. First, it was not strong enough to go after the adults. More likely, whatever it was happened to like younger flesh. Really, he would think that the second one would be a good deal more accurate.

Still, as the smith asked him the question, he merely nodded, hand on the heft of the axe, as the cold eyes looked at the smiths. "Heard you have a job?"

"Aye, if you're here about the Goat-Foot. That's what we call the monster, on account that the tracks it leaves are shaped like a goat's, save that it walks on two legs. It appeared first about a month ago, down in Caravell, and has roamed these bogs menacing the four villages around here ever since. Well, three, now. I shan't lie to you, sir, this creature's unnatural in strength; we've banded together to try to slay it in the past, and it has ended in disaster. But we have a great reward; sixty five gilders, and more in jewelry, on account of what it has done to us..."

He would nod at those words, interested in part at his words. "Anything you know about the creature?" Information saved lives, most importantly his own. So far, he knows that it has goat feet, is strong for it's size, bipedal, and it's already proven that it can tangle with a mob and come out the victor. And, things been around a month.

"Youths are missing. It likes to target them?"

"It is intelligent, like a man, and fights using a sword, or some sort of bladed weapon, large enough that it can cleave a man from shoulder to hip. That's how most of our dead were found, but we think it has horns as well...

Aye, specifically... It seeks out our lasses. Young women. It abducts them in the dead of night, and takes them away... We find them a few days later... sodomized and left either dead or dying."

Ah, the creature had a taste for raping women to death, and carried a large bladed weapon. Well, nothing said he would have to fight fair, and it looks like doing so would be rather stupid at this point, given the creatures rumored abilities. So, as he nods, he looks around. "How often does it come by, and when was the last visit?"

He was trying to build a profile, something to try and understand it, though it may be that ambush would be his best bet.

"It seems to move at random between our three villages, making it hard to predict. It seems to know when someone is looking for it, though. Not at all easy to manage."

He nods, looking calm, though inwardly annoyed. Intelligent monsters with access to information by several means? Yeah, those where always a bitch to try and track down. Still, he nods. "Anyone you would recommend for a tracking job? I'm good at killing things, finding them..." He shrugs, hefting the axe slightly for emphasis.

Bromin nodded. "The hunter Kryion. He knows these bogs better than any man alive. You can normally find him in the tavern." He stopped, and looked down. "His daughter was amongst the ones taken, as was mine... You'd be ever welcomed here in Luxom if you pull this off."

He nods, looking at him. "The beasts head or dick?" His tone is bland, stoic, even as he thinks it over. He might be able to get a bow out of it, and while he would need to spilt the reward money, it's a necessary sacrifice. Vengeance would probably get him a discount.

"Whichever is more practicable, though many would pay extra for the latter."

Kryion was at the tavern where Bromin said he would be. The hunter was sharp of features; it would not surprise Matthias to learn that he in fact had elvish ancestry. He looked at the stranger with suspicion. "You seem well-armed. Hope you aren't looking for trouble?"

He nodded at the smith, before seeking out the hunter.

At the tavern, the grim warrior gave a shrug. "Only if that's what the beast I've been hired to kill is called." Short, reasonable, and to the point. "That said, I'm a warrior, not a tracker. Need to hire someone one to hunt the damn thing. You came recommended. How much you want?"

The man's demeanor towards Matthias as he learns of his goal. "So, you're going after Goat-feet, huh? Sure, I'll help you track it, free of charge. It... took my Giselle. If you kill it, I may start sleeping at night. Have a plan?"

He nods a bit. "Not going to look to fight fair. Thing is smart and strong? Going to have to do the tricky thing. Hit from ambush, use a few poisoned arrows, and then hack it's head off. Otherwise, could always try the old poisoned pig trick." Really, he was not going to fight fair, that would get him killed.

Kryion nodded. "A good plan, but the monster isn't just smart, it's experienced. Has the mind of a seasoned warrior; old Goat-foot isn't just going to fall into any old trap. We'll need bait."

Kryion glared at him. "I hope that latter statement was a poor attempt at humor. I don't take kindly to such-" He paused, as though considering something. "I would not normally consider such things, but these are desperate times. We'd have to travel a bit, but there is rumored to be a small band of robbers on the Gold Road, just south of the region where Goat-Foot walks. They are lead by a she-bandit called the Vixen, who is said to use her feminine wiles to lure victims into her band's traps. If we could capture her, we could likely use her as bait... of course, this would mean giving up the bounty on her head. Said bounty's a pittance compared to what's on Goat-foot, mind you."

It was more of a product of where he was raised. You never sacrificed members of your own clan or village, you raided someone else's, and got the sacrifice from them. And why did you choose them? Well, usually, it's also to settle an old score. Like having a person stolen for use as a sacrifice. How was he to know that these lowlanders were so backwards?

Still, at the mention, he nods his head. "Could work. And, if we get the goat in time, can get both bounties." Really, that would be ideal, but, if hers is less then the bounty on the beast, well, he'll leave her hanging... or impaled as the case may be.

The hunter nodded. "Aye, if we pull it off we could get a good bonus... I keep provisions for long hunts packed, you never know when you'll find a fresh trail. We still have plenty of daylight ahead; if we go by horse we can hit the Gold Road in two day's time. There's an inn there, at the fork where the path from Luxom joins the main road. That's as good a spot to start our search as any."

Back
Top Bottom