Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Bargain Struck (Alvis & EveningSky)

"Jack!" Danielle's fist banged on the brown door to her boyfriend's apartment. Danielle had not seen Jack in two weeks, whenever she would call his voicemail answered instead of him. Jack was Danielle's first love, the guy who she saw herself marrying since they were freshmen in high school. Jack Masterson grew up in the rougher parts of Bridgeport, among what many considered white trash. Despite what her family and friends thought, Danielle believed that Jack could rise above his environment. Love conquered all, but most of all love was blind.

Danielle walked into Pallets gym in her grey sweats and oversized white jersey with neon pink sneakers. She was half an hour earlier than need be due to her excitement on starting her weight loss journey.
"Hey" she waved at Billie
"I remember you" Billie smiled as usual
"You were with that girl who riled James up"
"Yeah, my friend is kind of a hard hitter, is Carl here."
"Mhm, he's in the back." Billie handed Danielle a clipboard with a membership application form.
"I think these are for you"
"Thanks" Danielle took a pen and took a seat to fill out her necessary information such as name, age, address and contact number. "All this information for a workout.." She mumbled, signing her name to the bottom and placing the clipboard back on Billie's desk.

While waiting on Carl Danielle strolled around the gym checking out the equipment. Everything looked professional, unlike the front of the gym. A few guys were lifting weights, groaning and sweating, completely focused. She stood near the punching bag, staring at them with equal concentration.

Carl came into the gym a bit later than usual. he'd lingered over the morning, not sure why. But Billie was busily scribbling down, so had the idea that she must have something happening.
"Your girl is here." BIllie said brightly without looking up.
"Not my girl. Just a friend of mine." Carl answered.
"Yep. One that's gettign her membership comped. Nice friend."
"I always thought I was a good friend to people." Billie smiled and swat his arm as he passed.
"She's here already." Carl nodded and moved into the gym proper.

He'd freely give that the shabby look of the front desk area was likely on purpose from James. The less inviting the place was, the easier it was to keep people out of the place. A wave of miserable gym-meatheads woudl destroy the place just as thoroughly as Carl screwing up his fights. He saw Danielle quickly, and moved over to her. He smiled as he came close.
"Hey Danielle. Do you mind if I call you Dani? Come on over here, I've got some things set out for your first day." He waved her over, honestly starting to look forward to this. First things first, adn that meant she needed some general endurance training. And that meant the mighty treadmill.

The one he had picked out was a brute of thing, likely needing two to three people or a forklift to move. But it had a dizzying array of settings, and was a flexible device. Carl handed a few sandbags to Danielle. They were small, and looked to wrap around a limb.
"Wrap those around your ankle, and you'll be ready to start things off. It's a little extra weight on you to help get the ball rolling. here, these are for your wrists." He handed her another set once she had the bags on her ankles. "Hop on the treadmill, and we'll get you started."

Danielle stared blankly at Carl when he first appeared, the smile he bestowed on her when he came closer causing her to smile back at him. "The trainer is suppose to be here before the trainee" she mumbled, when Carl failed to respond Danielle smiled knowing the muscle man did not hear her cheeky comment. "Hey" she waved, Danielle bundled her long hair into a ponytail with a scrunchie as she walked over to Carl, ready to start the workout he ha planned for their first day together.

When Carl asked to call her Dani instead of Danielle it made her uneasy. No one outside her close circle of friends called her Dani. Jack referred to her as Danielle until they started dating. Her parents nickname for her as a little girl had been Ellie, and she was still their Ellie. Danielle and Carl were not friends yet, she felt as though the lines would get blurred if they became too friendly. Carl a had job, to help her lose weight. In return Danielle would help him date Megan. She had not objected to being friends, and she would not. But friendship would have to take its time. They had time, she would let him know that for him it would be Danielle until the time was right. The right time in their unusual relationship to use Dani.

"Why do I need extra weight" she frowned, attaching the sandbags to her ankles with a little difficulty. Danielle attached the others to her wrist "They make me feel heavy ands stupid" in that moment she wondered if Carl knew what he was doing. He trained for fights, to build strength, not to look sexy.Please don't pass out Danielle. With a deep breath, she stepped onto the treadmill. Her hands holding the bars in front for support.

"They're supposed to make you feel heavy. We are going to be cramming as much work into a short period as we can. So this is going to be running, to burn off weight, and the weights are going to be light training as well, meaning you can skip the process of actually lifting weights as a separate activity. This'll put a bit of muscle on you. Not a lot, but a little, and it'll help to hone the stuff you've already got, which will get you that much closer to the goal you have, that much faster." He explained. A thought crossed his mind.

"Danielle," He caleld her by her full name with the intent, knowing that she hadn't given a go ahead on his shortening it. Some people were particular about that kind of thing, and he would assume that she was until he was told otherwise. "I don't want you to think that I'm doing this in way that's fast just to get the deal over with. I'm not. I just usually go on the idea that If I can do a job in two weeks instead of six, I should probably do it in two. Better for everyone. I don't want to waste your time. I imagine you've got things you plan to do, and some of them need me to keep my end of the bargain. So...I want to help you to the best of my ability. And that involves mixing some of hte workout together. If you trust me to do this, we'll get you where you want, faster than you think."

He ahd to admit, this was not how he'd be trainign her if he had free reign, but then if he had that, she'd have a lithe, hard, fighters build and be one who kicked ass and took names for a living. But that kind of thign wasn't for most people. Most of them were...well, civilized. Carl would be first to admit he was something of a brute, fighting for a living. But it channeled his aggression into something useful, and he'd been told many times growing up that he needed to do exactly that, or he'd meet a bad end. He had discovered the two results were not exactly mutually exclusive.

Danielle began moving on the treadmill at a slow speed. The ankle weights made her feel like a labour animal, a horse people in earlier generations used to move heavy things. A small smile crept into her lips when Carl called her Daniellle instead of Dani. Being a mixed martial arts fighter gave him many talents. Danielle wondered if being highly observant came with his line of work. A keen sense of observation was definitely a pro in the world of MMA. What Danielle did not like was the fast track mentality. Carl's promises about getting Danielle to where she wanted to be in two weeks seemed unrealistic. At least to her, an amateur at exercise.

"Just as long as you know I am not some super woman, staying motivated would be hard and the workouts are probably going to become a chore." Danielle's feet started moving faster as the treadmill picked up speed. Instead of slow walking, her pace had now been a brisk walk. "But I shall try my best, I promise you that" Now it felt as though her goal was not achieved in Carl's time frame she would be a major disappointment to him.

"You make these statements about not wasting my time, I'm afraid I can't make the same promises to you. Megan is someone that would take a lot of time to convince." Danielle glanced in Carl's direction "It would help if you made my job easier, by let's say, allowing her to workout one day with me. She likes staying fit and that's part of your career, common interest makes everything better" Danielle need not say more. If Carl gave the okay, Megan would gladly pay a fee for the day to workout alongside Danielle. After all friends were there to provide support for one another, no one would be none the wiser.

"I'll do what I can to keep you motivated. I know you're human. And likely not used to doing something that might be this...intensive. But if you're in here each day for two weeks, if we haven't gotten to your goal, we'll be damned close. If it's too much for you, we can slow it down some, drop some days, draw it out. Just know that it is possible to get you there in that time. I'll admit, if we do it that quickly, you might not have much of a life during that time." Carl explained with a smile. he heard her pointing out that Megan was going to be more complicated than the workout. And to be hoenst, he'd figured as much. People were never easy. Workouts, losing weight, shaping a person's physical form...that much was easy once you knew how. People were unpredictable, and had different layers to them, could change their minds and go in a direction you didn't anticipate.

"Sure, I'll make arrangements for her to be able to get in here. Hell, James will take to that without a second thought." Carl agreed. "If you can think of anything that I cando that might make thigns easier on your end, you let me know and I'll do what I can." Carl knew that there were limits to what he was willing to do, he wasn't going to stop being who he was, not for anyone. But she was right on about the fact that more exposure to her would make thigns easier. After all, right now the only real image she would have of him was a sweaty meta-head that was a smartass to boot. It was hard to say how that image would go with her.

Danielle worked with Carl for an hour, cardio mixed with weights. Her sweat stained shirt was evidence of a day well spent. Despite feeling out of breath and exhausted she felt proud of herself for starting the journey. Danielle wiped away the sweat from her forehead as she sat on a bench, sipping water. She knew enough about exercise to know that the body needed cooling down before hitting the shower. "I feel fine oddly enough. I thought I'd be hurting a lot" Danielle dared not be naive in her thinking "I know you're going to be harder on me as we progress though...coach" she teased.

"Well, I'll go shower and head home. You probably have things to do" She took her bag and headed to the female bathroom to shower and head home. Time had flown fast, when Danielle was all done it had been minutes to six. Billie was still sitting behind the desk, her head down in her phone, texting away.

"Do you guys close late?"

Billie looked up with her usual smile "James likes to keep the gym open a little late sometimes, especially for the fighters. Some of the guys keep day jobs and can only make it at night for the training."
"So he makes you stay late as well?"
"No.." She shook her head
"I can leave at five but sometimes I like to stay back" she leaned closer, carrying her voice down to barely a whisper "There's this guy I like"
"Ah! Say no more" Danielle winked
"See ya tomorrow"
"You too Billie, reach home safely"

Danielle exited the gym with a grin "Thank god the bus stop is close" she muttered. After the shower her legs felt sleepy, the bus stipulated right information front the gyms car park made her commute less daunting. Her longest walk would be from the bus stop in her neighborhood to her home.

Carl smiled at her calling him coach. It was fitting after all. And he did feel a bit like one.
"I'll get harder on ya if we need to. We'll see it done right." He assured her as she head for the showers. Not a bad first day. She likely burned more calories in that one session than in the rest of the week combined. And that was a good start. he'd see how often she wanted ot be coming in here before he worked out a longer timeline of plans. Right now he needed to get her to the point that her current weights didn't drag her down any more. Once she had gotten there, it was time to up the weight, adn move to a mroe aggressive path for her workout. Part of that woudl be teaching her some basic punches, since that, combined with the weights would drive the muscle work in her arms and shoulders tremendously. She would have what she wanted, a tight and lean form, but keeping her assets.

"Hey Carl, we sparring?" One of the other men called. Carl nodded, and pulled on a set of gloves, joining him on one of the open areas. They traded a few testing jabs. "So, what's with the new chick?" Carl dodged a straight punch.
"She's helping me out in a deal, and my end is getting her in shape." Carl answered, firing a skilled two hit combo, that made his patner backpedal a pace.
"Easier ways to get a girl in shape before you bang her Carl." Carl blocked a swing directly before firign a hard counter punch right into his forehead. As the man staggered back a pace Carl spoke.
"Not why I'm doing this you prick. She's a nice girl, don't lack for anything besides confidence." Carl hit him hard then, a body shot that crumpled him to the floor. "But she wants to lose the weight. Hell, I'd have done it for her regardless of the deal. Strikes me as the kind of person worth the effort." As the man groaned, but nodded, Carl head to get changed. he didn't have the mood on him to keep at it today.

He was out of the gym a few minutes later, getting his car in gear, and starting to pull out when he spotted Danielle at the bus stop. he pulled up close.
"You want a ride?" He called to her as he approached.

"Uh.." Danielle looked around, then checked the time on her phone. She had never taken the bus from this part of Bridgeport. Which meant she did not know how long she would be waiting, or if they bus would ever show up. "Sure" Danielle opened the passenger door, planting her bottom on the seat. "Thanks" She buckled herself in "I didn't know you could drive" She teased.

"I live in Bridgeport, Hamilton road." Danielle hoped Carl did not live far away, like in the city. Dropping her home would mean he was going out of his way. That was not part of their deal.

Carl nodded as he got the car rolling.
"Driving beats walking, so I figured I should start doing it to make sure I got places when I needed to." Carl said with a shrug. He heard where he was taking her. "Hamilton...Hamilton...yeah I know that road. Had friends that used to live down there. Not a bad place to hang your hat." He said idly.

Truthfully, it was kind of out of his way, but not enough to actually be bothersome. And besides, it was getting a bit late out, and he'd rather not have Danielle walking a stretch on her own. Call it overprotective, or chauvanistic in outlook, but he called it being a decent human being.
"I can probably give you a lift home mroe often if you like. Save you on some bus fare, and get you there a lot faster. Time saved and all." He offered her.

Danielle stared out the window as Carl drove. Night scenery had an appeal to it that calmed ones soul. The lights that stretched out in the distance looked magnificent from the bird's view. She loved the night, the cool air and sound of crickets. "Hamilton is where Meg and I grew up, one of the many suburban areas in Bridgeport" she shrugged "I've never really thought about it as a good place to settle, but I guess you're right. It's safe, good place to raise a family"

"It's a good place to buy a home when you marry Megan"

Getting married was something all girls dreamed of, the handsome husband with cute kids and a white picket fence. Danielle wanted that, just like anyone else. Megan made her vow that they would get married and live close by. Their husbands would be friends and their kids as well. A silly dream of two young girls playing with dolls on their front lawn in Hamilton. Never imagining the hardships adulthood brought. The heartache they would be forced to endure in the name of love.

"Carl you don't have to promise that. I'm a big girl, literally." She chuckled " I can handle myself. You're busy, you've got your career. Which is not an easy one, giving me a ride everyday will just confuse your already hectic shcedule. I've never been to a MMA fight but I'm pretty sure it's not a walk in the park." Danielle knew helping her already took a toll on his schedule. She knew nothing of his world except that he trained hard.

"You're being really nice, but I'm not going to take advantage of you"

"My house is on the right..." She pointed out, gathering her things. "What time should I come in tomorrow?" Despite what he said, Danielle knew his schedule was what they worked by. "If you're not certain maybe text me when you find out"

Carl cracked a smile at her words. She wasn't wrong about it being a decent place for a family.
"So does that mean you and Megan are the kind of ladies that have had your weddings planned out for a decade, and now just need the guy to make it all happen?" He asked with a tease to his tone.

"Not saying you can't ahndle yourself. After all, you've been doing just fine so far. But please! Take advantage. Somebody has to, might as well be you! And as for MMA matches...I have a qualifying fight coming up in a few days. I could get you and Megan both in if you wanted to check it out." He offered.

As she pointed out her house, he pulled up tot he curb, stopping cleanly.
"If you can make it in around 10, that'd be great. Give me a chance to do my thign earlier in the mornign, and then focus on you." He told her.

Danielle rolled her eyes "You're asking me to take advantage of you? That's what girlfriends are for buddy. If I do my job right you'll have one soon. Although I think I should date you first, make sure you're boyfriend material for Megan." Danielle opened the car door, a guest of wind entering the warmth of the small space. " Megan may soon have her guy make her wedding plans happen. We've only had those plans for like a decade..l she joked with a hearty laugh. Carl was not difficult for Danielle to converse with. She found herself speaking freely, making jokes and laughing. They barely knew each other, but we're becoming quickly familiar.

"Going to one your matches would be perfect for you and Megan. It's. A genius idea, sign us up" Her eyes lit up with excitement. Danielle had to do whatever it took to get both of them together. She needed Megan to notice him as a potential without being too suspicious. Carl's match in a few days means Danielle had a small window to do introduction.

Damn

Just like Carl's mind had been turning at possible ideas to get Danielle in the best shape of her life. Her mind was now reeling with ideas for the matchmake if the century. Danielle practically lead from the car wishing Carl a hurried goodnight before running along the cobbled pathway to her front door. Disappearing behind the dark wooden door of a white two story house. Danielle wasted no time in ringing Megan, hoping to God her little blonde friend had not gone out for the night.

"Helloooo" Megan answered

"Hey!"

"You haven't called me in a day Bitch what do you want?"

"I've been kind of busy, I still love you though" The stress and excitement of her what she and Carl were doing had her unintentionally avoiding Megan.

"Whatever..." Megan drawled

"I've started working out and I got caught up I'm So-"

"You're working out?!" Megan cut Danielle off out of shock.

"Yah, at that gym we visited the other day"

"Dan you do know that we're looking to buy and demolish that place right?"

"Yeah but I'm getting in free so I'm taking it.

"Who'd you bribe?" Megan laughed. "I know it's not that asshole Markus who sits in the back" She continued. "The guy's a douche and a half"

"No, it's another guy." Danielle took a deep breath before she proceeded with the reason why she called her best friend in the first place. "Hey, you wanna. Maybe...you know, work out with me one day?"

"I guess..." Megan said softly "I've got tomorrow off"

"That's actually perfect!" Danielle had to contain herself from jumping for absolute joy. "You can meet me for ten"

"Okey, if that's the case I need to sleep."

"Ciao"

"Ciao"

Before bed Danielle slid Carl a text message. Letting him know that Megan would be joining them for their second workout. "Mission: Icebreaker" she sent with a grinning emoticon. Depending on how her plan went would determine what would happen on the day of Carl's MMA match.

Carl gave Danielle a lopsided smile, cocky as hell to be sure, at the statement that she might want to date him first. There was a the momentary thought of a smartass comment, but he let it go. No need to complicate thing, though he had to admit he liked this kind of verbal sparring with her. It was....fun. Danielle was a fun person to talk and chat with. There was the fleeting moment of wondering as she walked away from the car, what might have happened if Megan hadn't been at the gym, and Danielle had been there alone. Would Carl have latched onto the idea of Megan when he saw her later, as a friend to Danielle, or would he have given her little to no mind? He shook his head, and drove away from her house.

A man could spend a year wondering about might have beens, and there would be no real change, nothing accomplished. All they had was the here and now. Best to focus on that, and the fact he was going to have to beat the hell out of somone in a few days. He let out a breath. He was most of the way home when he got the warning text. Mission Icebreaker indeed. Well, he had a heads up. Couldn't ask for more than that. He'd just have to be at his best tomorrow.

Sleep came easily enough, and Carl was up and at it early. He'd made arrangements to get his own training over with early in the morning, and his sparring partner didn't disappoint, giving Carl a run for his money. But by nine thirty, Carl was showered from the gym, and ready to start. He made a few light preparations, ensuring that a few of the treadmills woudl be free, adn that they would be close enough together that Danielee and Megan would be able to interact freely. And he would be there to coach Danielle along. Encourage her. Generally be a decent person and make sure he wasn't causing a problem. But Danielle was in his corner. So he had some help there. He moved over to a heavy bag, lifting a pair of ten pund weights, adn began some light training himself, waiting for the ten o'clock mark to come, and his trainee.

Danielle and Megan sauntered into the gym exactly at ten o'clock. They'd been having green smoothies at Danielle's house and chatting over the past two days. Billie eyed both girls with a knowing smile, she knew that Megan would catch Carl's eyes. With her grey yoga pants and black tank, the blonde locks bundled on top her head. A hair tie the only this stopping it from cascading down her slender shoulders.

"I remember you" Billie smiled

"Sorry about the other day,I didn't mean to get you yelled at by your boss" Megan apologised

"It's fine, he has his days" Billie turned to Danielle "Carl's lifting, he's waiting on you"

Danielle motioned for Megan to follow her into the heart of the gym. Just as Billie said, Carl was lifting light weights. "Megan this is Carl my trainer, Carl this is Megan my.best friend" Danielle laid down her things and proceeded to stretch her sore muscles from yesterday.
"I remember you" Megan smiled "You're a ballet dancer right" she joked.

Carl felt his hadns hit the bag again, the shock of the impact travelling up his arm. It was comforting. Centering. Some people tried hard to find their center before any kind of fight or activity. Carl found his during the fight. He caught sight of Danielle approaching, adn smiled, rolling his shoudlers and loosening his hands. he smiled, though he did hitch a little when he saw Megan. She warranted a second glance. He'd thought so the last time, but seeing her in a more relaxed attire just heightened things for him. In casual wear, she looked like every guys dream of the girl next door.

He cracked a smile as she brought up his smart ass comment from last time.
"Yeah, that's me. Gotta keep in pretty trim shape to keep up with the other dancers you know. And they expect guy in the business to be able to carry their partner a decent stretch too." He quipped back. "And I remember you too. Got james all wound up and fit to burst in record timing. Welcome to the gym." He set the weights down, and nodded to them both. "So are you here for moral support, or are you goign to be joining Danielle here in her routine?"

"She's accustom working out, I think I may keep her back" Danielle commented heading over to one of the treadmills. Megan rolled her eyes "I can probably handle Dani's routine" Megan followed Danielle's lead, hopping onto a treadmill.

"We've never actually worked out together" Megan quipped

"Because we're always eating" Danielle chuckled tying sand bags onto her ankle and wrists like Carl instructed yesterday.

Megan pursed her lips, trying to contain her smile. "He's really got you going for it huh"

"And this is just the beginning" Danielle groaned setting up her treadmill just like Carl did yesterday.

Megan started her treadmill at a speed where she could walk briskly to warm her body up. She found herself struggling, not used to the large amount of energy it to took to gets the belt moving. Unlike the machines at her regular gtm much effort was needed.

Danielle glanced at Carl knowingly. Today wasn't about her, but he and Megan. "Go talk to her" she mouthed hoping he could read lips.

Danielle was a trooper, getting herself set up and getting right back into it. He had to respect that about her. He made sure that she was set on the right mode from yesterday, and then had a bit of a thought. he pressed a few buttons, and the treadmill lifted itself a few degrees up.
"Give you a bit more to work with." He told her helpfully. He couldn't read lips completely, but he got the impression she was trying to convey. After all, not much point in bringing Megan down here to not speak to her. He nodded, and moved off a little, moving back towards Megan.

He saw her flagging a little on the start up, and had the realization that the machines in here were a bit more brutal than average. They weren't meant for the faint of heart, they were made to get a lot of work done as quickly as possible. Still, she was pushing through it.
"Sorry I didn't warn you about these brutes. A little heavier duty than most of them. But you're getting there. There we go, you're almost up to speed now." He said with a smile, encouraging her gently. He had to admit she was a distracting presence to be around, but a distraction that he'd welcome more often.

Danielle groaned when Carl elevated her treadmill. The incline made it much more difficult. Coupled with the sang bags Danielle's heart thumped out of control within minutes. With her goals on mind, she endured. Danielle pushed on, setting a new motto for herself. When you feel like you cant do one more, do three.

"There should be a warning on the wall" she said sarcastically. When Megan got the hang of the death trap she revved the speed up into a jogging fast. Working her way up to a sprint.

"You okay there Dan?" She chuckled

Danielle's only response came in the gesture of her middle finger. Twenty five minutes and a shirt full of sweat later her cardio session had ended. With much relief Danielle hopped off the treadmill, wobbling over to her bottle of water.

"Did you kill her?" Megan inquired powering down her treadmill. Reaching for her white rag, wiping the sweat from her face. Lightly touching his arm Megan pulled Carl aside "I've never seen her workout before, take it easy with her will you." Her blue eyes stared into his grey hues. " You're the professional, but that's just advice"

"What now Coach?" Danielle asked from her spot on the floor.

"We used to have one up, but then we decided that this place should be more of a sink or swim kind of thing. People either get used to it and push through, or they wuss out and run away. Suppose if you run away you're still getting some cardio out of it!" Carl mused.

"Nah, I didn't kill her. She's tougher than she knows. And I'll make sure she does know it by the time we're done. It's not just training the body we do in this place..." Carl tapped the side of his head. "...a lot of it is in the mind. Lotta gyms will just get you into shape, and not teach you a damned thing about how to deal with that shape. Don't help you get any confidence, any drive. This place, you walk out of here in a whole new shape, knowing exactly who you are, what you can do, and you'll know that you were worth the effort." He explained to her. It was a big reason that the gym did have a few dedicated members, who came in for the camaraderie. The support that you got from the staff and other members.

Carl looked back into her eyes, keeping that gaze for a moment, before he heard Danielle call out for a next step. He nodded, and smiled at Megan before he moved over to the weights area. he lifted a bar used for bench presses, but didn't take any weights. He stood beside Danielle, and showed her how to rest the bar on her shoulders.
"Now, you lean to one side, keeping your legs straight, and as much of your body as well." He guided her through the motions, and then back to a standing position, before showing her the same motion, but on the other side. "This is going to work on your core, get you some good work on your abs. Also helps build up your back muscle to keep you going. Give me fifty on each side." he told her. Honestly, he'd let her stop sooner, but he needed to see just how much she coudl do, adn how determined she was.

"Sink or swim huh" Megan mumbled. Now instead of its clients sinking or swimming the gym itself was on its last leg. Whether it sink or swam was up to James Markus now. She did feel some guilt when Carl spoke about the gym. The passion he had was easily recognizable in the way he spoke. He took pride in what the gym stood for, being apart of it meant something to him. Megan cleared her throat, pulling her gaze away from Carl. There was a job to be done, sympathy had no part in her jobs with Richardson. Megan moved to a weight machine to work on her legs, closing her eyes as she pumped twenty pounds. She listened to Carl give Danielle instructions on her back workouts.

"You can do it Dan!" Megan cheered, offering her friend some words of encouragement.

Danielle held the bar on her shoulders. The uphill climb on the treadmill still taking its toll on her legs. "Lean..." She said to herself, taking deep breaths in three second intervals. Danielle closed her eyes to focus on her core muscles. "Fifty it is" she groaned leaning on her right side. Soon enough Danielle completed her fifty on each side, dropping the bar to the ground. "I hate that!" Her core burned like hot coals. "I feel sore already" she complained.

Megan smiled at Carl "This is basically Dani not showing up tomorrow. You'll have to drag her out the house"

"Don't sell me out, you're suppose to be on my side" Danielle dragged herself over to her gym bag. Taking out her phone to text Carl. Invite her to your fight!!!

"You feel the burn? That's good! Means you're making headway!" Carl announced as Danielle set the bar down. As Carl heard his phone buzz, and smiled at Megan. "Thanks for the heads up. I shoudl be able to get her door down in a pinch to get her out." He said with a wink and a grin.

He checked his message, and then closed down the phone.
"Well Danielle, looks like you have a day of rest. I've just been informed that I am a go for tomorrow night, so I have to get myself ready for my..." he looked at Megan and quirked a smile as he spoke. "...recital. But if you want an idea of what this place can do for someone if they stick with it...You should come see the show." he paused, adn then turned to look at Megan. "Hell, why don't you come with her? I'll make sure you both get good seats, and since I'm inviting, it won't cost you anything. So how about it ladies?"

"Sure, I'd like nothing better. I love ballet.." Megan glanced at Danielle "Especially with shirtless men" Carl started a joke that would never get old in Megan's book. Danielle collected her things to go rinse the waterfall of sweat from her body. Shaking her head at Megan's response to Carl. She had never seen her blue eyed friend so playful with a stranger. It was frightening how easily Megan and Carl seemed to get along. Would Carl realise Danielle was no longer needed in his quest to win Megan. The sassy career driven woman already started falling, she just did not know it yet.

"I'll go" Came Danielle's response to Carl's invitation. One that she knew was coming. He knew what her reply would be. Voicing it was for Megan's sake. She need not know what her brown eyed friend was up too with the rugged grey eyed man.

"I thought violence was not your thing" Megan teased

"True. But shirtless sweaty men are"

Megan grinned at her best friend's comment "So where will it be?" Her schedule had been booked tomorrow night. Dinner with friends was not something Megan ever thought she turn down. When a man like Carl asked, you obeyed. Submissive was not a word Megan's colleagues would ever use to describe her. Yet here she was.

Carl kept his smile going. He liked the banter, the way Megan kept up and didn't give him much i the way of slack. Danielle had been right. This was a challenging woman to have on hand, but he hadn't lied when he said that he liked the challenge. This was the kind of thing that he'd always wanted in a woman. Not a doormat, but a sparring partner. Verbal or otherwise, it was a kind of spirit that didn't let itself get pushed around.

"We'll be at the Blood Bowl, down on 5th. If you haven't been there before, look for the building with the oversized spotlight tracking around. Hard to miss. I'll make sure both of your names are on the list to get in." Carl told them with a smile.
"Carl! Front and center!" The bellow carried easily over the gym None of the regulars bat an eye.
"Comin' boss!" He called back. "This might take awhile, so if I don't see you before you're gone...I will catch both of you excellent ladies tomorrow night." He smiled at them both before heading over to James office. He shut the door without being prompted.

"Okay, please tell me that you didn't bring the representative that's trying to bulldoze this place into my gym." James said with a hand on his face.
"Okay, I won't tell you." Carl answered, sitting down and leaning back in his chair. There was a moment of silence.
"Then why is she here?"
"You just said not to tell you."
"Fucking hell Carl! WHy woudl you bring her here?!"
"To show her what this gym is all about, the benefits of it, and why it's not going anywhere."
"And because you have a soft spot for blondes in tank tops?"
"Minor details James, my point still stands. She's not buying a membership here, but isn't any amount of doubt we can seed a good thing?" James sighed.
"Yes. I just don't like her being around, especially when we're empty like this. It's a slow day, you know?"
"It's usually a slow day."
"Look Carl, I can get a dumb amount of money for this place. Build a new gym, top floor as public access to support the place, basement to train meatheads like you to fight better. I could make bank."
"But it wouldn't be Pallet's Gym. And it wouldn't have the pedigree this place does." James sighed.
"I know. Just...Carl don't fuck this up tomorrow. If we lose more membership, I won't have much choice." Carl nodded.
"I gotya boss."

The girls showered, said goodbye to Billie and took their leave. Danielle folded her arms when they were outsize in the warm air "Did you like it?" She did not care to hear Megan's thoughts about the gym, but only a certain person. Beating around the bush was needed to keep Megan from suspicion.

"It was alright..." She shrugged. Megan did not have a passionate opinion from her one day work out. Pallet's gym needed to go, the potential was hidden in the run down interior and faulty machines. "It seems they're wasting it, it can be much more if James Markus sold it us" Megan turned around to take one last look at the gym sitting on prime realty.

Danielle nodded, those words were not the ones she wanted to hear but it would work for now. Megan gave her no hints about her thoughts on Carl. Danielle bit her lip in thought. She would need to continue with her plan.

"I'll see you tomorrow" Danielle smiled

"Yeah, I'll meet you at your place with my car then we can take a taxi. I've never been down on 5th, some place called Blood Bowl"

"It's downtown, but a taxi is a good idea. Drop us right in front"

"Wear something sexy Dani!" Megan got out her car keys

"I'm the one with the boyfriend, I should be telling you that "

"Dont get me started on Jack.." Megan glared

"Byee Meg!" Danielle said quickly, waving Megan away. Megan was not a fan of Jack, but she respected Danielle's choice. It was a relationship that many objected too, but Danielle did what she wanted where her love life was concerned. The high school sweetheart fairytale was one she held on to, and would hold on too for as long as possible.

Danielle texted Megan a few hours before Carl's match the next day to say she could no longer make it. That Megan would have to brave the new adventure on her own. It made Megan suspicious about Danielle and her shady boyfriend. Is it Jack? when Megan presseed Danielle denied. The workout yesterday has me in bad shape an exaggeration of the truth. "Please forgive me Meg" she groaned staring at her phone. This was her only chance to get them alone without Carl asking Megan out directly.

Megan's taxi pulled up in front the Blood Bowl. Her eyes stared out skeptically at the establishment. "Well are you going to get out or not" the driver asked impatiently. Megan nodded, paying him the fare before stepping out. She pulled her coat closer to her body as she placed her feet on the pavement. She wore a simple white t shirt, jeans and a black wedge heels. Instead of hearing her blonde locks out, Megan's swept it all into a high ponytail. She looked casual yet stylish.. As Carl described a large spotlight tracked around. A long line of people stood out front, waiting for entrance into the venue.

"Megan!" Billie called from the door

"Hey!" Megan's features relaxed upon seeing a familiar face

"Come on.." Billie grinned brining her into the Blood Bowl "You don't need to wait in that ridiculous line" As Carl promised Megan was on the list. The man at the door allowed them in without complaint. They were to sit in the ringside in the VIP section.

"Where's Danielle?" Billie asked taking her seat

"She's not well, totally set me up"

"You have me" Billie smiled brightly

"Thank God, I was about to turn around and go home"

Inside the Blood Bowl was bright, most of the light focused on the netted ring in the middle of the floor. Many people were seated, some eating others conversing Intently. The match was scheduled to start at any minute. Megan was both excited and nervous about the night's proceedings.

Back
Top Bottom