Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Sengoku Diceless Character Thread

Zeth

Supernova
Character Template

Name:

Caste & Vocation

Abilities & Flairs

Fitness:

Awareness:

Creativity:

Reasoning:

Piety:

Ki:

Aspects

Luck:

Discipline:

Kao:

Skills

Convictions

Gimmicks

Background, Equipment, notes, etc

Hopefully, I got this mostly right:

Name: Kanayama Kaguya

Caste & Vocation
Shinto Priestess

Abilities & Flairs

Fitness: +0
-Dexterity +4
-Agility +2
-Muscle -1

Awareness: -1

Creativity: -1

Reasoning: -1

Influence: +4
-Financial -5

Piety: +3

Aspects
Luck: 4
Discipline: 4
Kao: 2
Ki: 12

Skills
Shinto and Seduction started as free Novice skill before Proficient is added to make them Expert; free Buddhism Novice traded out to bump Athletics from Proficient to Expert.
Archery/Kyu-jutsu Expert
Focus Ki Expert
Performance Expert XP:2
Seduction Expert XP:2
Shinto Expert XP:2

Convictions
Values (Kanayama Shrine Vows):
-Can't speak ill of or otherwise offend any kami.
-Can't defile a shrine or other place of worship.
-Must provide fertility to whoever wishes for it.
-Must provide pleasure to whoever wishes for it.

Gimmicks
Membership (Kanayama Shrine)
Renown (Unorthodox Belief)

Spells
Mostly the same as the Shinto list with the same number of spells, but traded some curses and knowledge spells for more healing and weather spells to represent shamanistic nature.
Atonement
Bind Spirit
Bless Land
Bless Weapon
Breath Life
Chant
Detect Enchantment
Empathy for the Dead
Exorcism
Heal Wounds
Light From Heaven
Mists From Heaven
Music From Heaven
Protection From Poison
Purification
Purify Water
Rain From Heaven
Receding Water
Speak For Kami
Speak For the Dead
Summon Kami
Winds From Heaven

Equipments
Yumi
A quiver full of arrows
Shinto priestess garb

Background
Kaguya's Father is a childless bamboo cutter who didn't have the good luck of finding a baby sleeping inside a stalk of bamboo, so he went to the local shrine for a blessing instead. The Kanayama shrine was one of the most ancient shrine in Japan, and as such they take much more after the shamanistic practice of the Ainu people than either Taoism or Buddhism, as evident by their worship of Kanamara, the steel phallus that is said to bless both the people and the land with fertility. After participating in a fertility ritual in the shrine, the bamboo cutter's wife soon gave birth to a daughter. The couple named the girl Kaguya in reference to the folktale, and decided to dedicate the girl to the shrine on her first birthday.

Kaguya was trained as a shrine maiden for the Kanayama shrine as she grew up; the most important part of her training was the prayers that had been passed down since the time of the shamans, followed by rituals and performances to please the kami. However, due to the peculiar nature of the Kanayama shrine, she also possesses some skills that would not be expected from a shrine maiden, as well as a very different set of doctrines. The Kanamara is a fertility deity, and his mikos are expected to provide pleasure and even offspring to people if requested, so Kaguya is trained in the art of pleasuring others; the shrine was also responsible for blessing hunters in the olden days of shamans, so Kaguya was trained in the basics of zen archery.

Now that Kaguya is of age, her deity gave her an important mission: to repopulate the town. Fact of matter is, the Kanayama shrine is located in a little time with little chance for wealth or glory, and most men either left it to find work in the city or joined the army, leaving only the children and the elderly. So Kaguya is charged with the mission to go out into the world, converting people to Shinto and particularly the Kanayama shrine, and then bring these new believers to the town to rejuvenate the populace. It's no small task, considering how the Kanamara is barely tolerated by the Shinto priesthood at large, but with her god by her side, Kaguya is confident that she could accomplish it and return the village to prosperity.

c728577charab3_zpstth1fqpz.jpg

I simply love your character. Some of the numbers are off and I'll discuss it via pm for fixing. But she is approved.

I'm glad that you like her! Since this is my first attempt at building a character with this system, I know there are bound to be mistakes, so please feel free to point them out.

For each positive flair you must have a negative to balance it. You may not have an ability +flair take you over +4 or below -1. So can not have reasoning -1 and memory-1 because that stacks to -2.

You forgot to add the Influence ability. Even if you don't put points in it,you still have a 0.

You must have the Focus Ki skill and come from the Buki caste to hve Ki points. Your background makes me think she is from the Bonge caste. I'll let Kaguya to buy Focukiskill anyway.

Focus Ki grants

4 points t novice
8 at proficient
12 at expert
These points are separate from the +4 you gt or normal abilities and flairs.

You get 3 skills at proficient and two at expert. You may only lower a kill to raise another ONCE So at most Kaguya has3 expert skills and 2 proficient skills. Not 5Expert skills. So drop 2 to proficient. I'll let you have Buddhist back at novice and also give you focus ki and seduction at novice for free.

Ah, I missed the bit about Flair being part of the cap on the min/max value of a Ability; will fix that now.

As for skills, the Sengoku book says that all characters start with Shinto and Buddhism at Novice, which may be increased as part of the process of creating characters (pg 95). I assume that it means if I place one of my Proficient skills at a free Novice skill like Seduction, it would get increased to Expert, which is separated from the "losing one rank in a skill to add to another skill" that we can only do once.

Did I misunderstand how it should work?

Usually you do not add your proficient skills to your free skills to get expert skills. You are supposed to just take them at proficient and pick two other free skills.

However, Sengoku specifically says 'increase free skills by normal means.' I admit this is confusing, so I'll let your skill picks stand and if anyone else picks that way it will stand.

Name: Ryo Sanada

Caste & Vocation: Buke Ashigaru

Abilities & Flairs

Fitness: +2

Awareness: +1

Creativity: 0

Reasoning: +1

Influence: 0

Aspects

Ki: 8

Skills
Melee Expert
Athletics Expert
Focus Ki Proficient
Meditation Proficient
Warfare Proficient
Shinto Novice
Buddhism Novice
Brawling Novice
Gambling Novice

Convictions
Values (fealty to daimyo)

Gimmicks
Membership (samurai clan)

Ryo Sanada is an Ashigaru in the local Daimyo's army. He is a common infantry man with little ranking or prestige, but has a strong sense of justice and fights like a lion.

Name: Kasuga Katashi

Caste & Vocation Buke, Kensei

Abilities & Flairs
Fitness 2
-1 Flexebility
+1 Muscle
Awareness 1
+1 Instinct
-1 Cognizance
Creativity 1
+1 Manipulation
Influence 0
Reasoning 0
-1 Memory
Ki: 12

Aspects

Skills
Athletics: Proficient**
Bhudisim: Novice
First Aid: Novice
Focus Ki: Expert
Gambling: Proficient
High Society: Novice
Leadership: Novice
Legends: Novice
Literacy: Novice
Meditation: Novice
Melee: Expert**
Shinto: Novice
Okuden (Furious Wind, Katana): Proficient
Okuden (Karumi Jutsu): Novice**
Subterfuge: Novice

Convictions
Code: Bushido
Fault: Lecherous
Objective: Master my swordsmanship.

Gimmicks
Membership (A Samurai Clan)

Armor
Weapons:
Katana
Tanto
Wakizashi

Other Gear:
Bottle of Sake, Box of Rice Balls
Traveling Pack, including tatami mat, blanket, grooming and camping stuff.
Sword Cleaning Kit, Paper, Tasuki
Sword Wrack

x4jevP2_zpss0v97x9h.png

Back
Top Bottom