Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Midnight Maid (Major Marior/Saber Arturia)

Revelations

He'll smite you with metaphor fists!
Staff member
Administrator
The town had not seen its noble family in some time – years for the most part. They had sent agents now and then, taxes and tithes, or acting as their agents when it came to land, property, and more esoteric matters. Rumors flew about naturally, some even saying they had died... But if one were to travel close to the estate at night, one would see lights on, people within – was it haunted? No, the tax collectors acted in the families name, and no one was injured or vanished mysteriously. For some time – years, this had continued on with none questioning it, as it was simple the way of life within the town. At least ‘till now that was. Those who knew the family before the strange occurance would recognize the keen blue eyes and dark brown hair of their son, Gabriel. That night, it was not a collector or an agent who had entered the town, but instead the finely dressed nobleman, dressed for cool weather, and spending time in the tavern with people. He had aged, his skin fair and his smile charming, and few were surprised when he had announced the reasonhe was here. He was lookng for a servant, and perhaps... Even already had one in mind to pick. The lucky woman had received a beautifully handwritten letter, inviting her to the estate, and letting her know the pay would be worth it if she were to stay with the family and act as a maid – not just her, but her family would receive money all the same. How could anyone resist in these dark times?

She was to meet with him for dinner, the hour a little odd – the sun was already setting when she was to leave, and the starry sky above a deep violet by the time she’d arrived. None had really seen the estate up close in some time, but t was clear that whoever still lived within had tended to it recently. The garden was lit by moonlight, simple but still regal, flowers blooming. The path to the estate door was lit by torch and brazier alike, giving some warmth to the chill outside. The estate itself was large – clearly meant for a ruling family that very will could have been the height of royalty... Yet few lights were on, giving the indication that despite the grandeur and size, it seemed... underpopulated. She was to knock, and wait to be invited before stepping in...

The town had a name, that Marcine was sure of, but what the name was eluded her. Bowerstone? Twinbrook? Slateport? It was one of those strange names that felt foreign upon Marcine's tongue, and while she was content to discard the thought and move on towards her new master's estate, she figured that in due time she would have to learn all about her surroundings, and that included whatever the name of this town was. Marcine clutched her handwritten letter close to her breast and trudged down cobblestone streets until she was now lingering at the entrance to the property, which was hidden, no, secured by wrought iron fences and a singular, grand gate meant for admitting carriages and the like within. Ah yes, now that she had the time to dwell on it, she was certain that from the cobblestone streets wound about buildings and the like before leading up here... The town must have a fine industry in stonecutting, and if that was correct-

"Enough," Marcine hissed under her breath. She shook her head and tucked a few locks of violet hair behind her ear. "Stop thinking. Just act. You've gotten so far now; don't blow it with your damned rambling."

The violet-haired woman glanced about as she entered the premises for her attention was grasped tightly by the regal flowers lit in the soft moonlight. Yes, the estate was quite fearsome and intricately designed as if it had been there for eons, but Marcine wasn't concerned with it, or rather, she couldn't be. What awaited beyond those large entrance doors wasn't some kind of monster or a dismal lair, it was a wonderful opportunity, and Marcine needed every opportunity she could get. She smiled at the flowers and torches along her path and soon came to a stop at the estate doors.

With note and pack in hand, the modestly-dressed maid-for-hire looked up to the grand doors with determination in her eyes and nervousness quivering in her limbs. Marcine reached up and pounded on the door a few times to announce her arrival, and then she fell silent as she awaited admittance inside.

"Sir Gabriel, Sir Gabriel... N-no, Master Gabriel," Marcine corrected herself. "Yes... Master. That shall do, I hope."

Stonecutting was one thing the town was known for – artisans of wood and masonry had been valued by the residents for years, and the town still carried those traditions with some pride in spite of the seeming loss of the noble family who claimed ownership of the lands. Though, with Gabriel once again approaching the town and showing that there was at least one noble left, there was some recent interest from the townspeople, both for him... And the woman he had hired as a servant. The violet haired woman was slightly out of place in the town as well, perhaps it was fate?

Stone walls surrounded the estate, and the shadows they cast only made the gloomy and regal building more intimidating to the average onlooker, the building rather silent as the determined maid strode toward the entryway. Each tap against the door was a dull thud echoing deeper into the building, alerting who or whatever lurked within that there was a guest awaiting entry. For some moments there was no response, no answer to cast off the eerie silence of the estate. Maybe there was no one home. Maybe this was just an elaborate prank? A ruse on some young woman to get her vulnerable and alone...

The door creaked open suddenly, the sound more intense than the silence minutes ago. A figure on the other side awaited her, a young man whose dark hair framed a youthful face, pale blue eyes looking to the woman standing before him. He was dressed with a simple and regal quality, a long sleeved shirt and pants of matching black tones, and his lips curling into a smile. “Ah, on time. Good. I’m glad to see you made it here on time, Marcine. I am Gabriel Florin, lord of this estate and I welcome you to it. By tonight, I hope you will likewie consider yourself part of it, as a maid of course... But, it will be your home.” His tone was firm, a softness to it befitting a man raised to be graceful. “Come in, let’s get you out of the cold, without a servant i’ve been the one tending to cleaning and cooking... So I hope dinner tonight is not that bad.” Stepping inside, his light hearted tone at the end was just as inviting. The common room was the first room within, and it showed the grandeur that Gabriels family lived with. Paintings of family members of the past, shelves lined with books, a warm and well lit fire in the mantle, many would kill for this sort of splendor. “I hope the trip here was not troublesome?”

Marcine winced at the sound of the door opening, but she winced even more when the brightest of the manor hit her with full force once she could see inside. Things looked so much better on the inside than they did when Marcine saw from the outside. But she couldn't get too good of a look, for there standing before her was a remarkably well-dressed man with an affinity for the professional black color that she too wore. His features were rather sharp like the lapels upon his outfit, but once Marcine got past that she noticed the youthful face and wonderfully pale blue eyes. She was happy to finally put a face to the name 'Gabriel Florin', and for the most part she was pleased that she would be serving someone who looked to be around the same age as she was. Perhaps this master would be different from all the others, Marcine thought with a soft smile upon her face.

The professionally-dressed maid listened intently to Gabriel and walked with him inside his manor. She was pleased to be out of the cold and darkness to now experience the warmth and elegant decorations of the manor's common room, or foyer. Her master was articulate and welcoming, and his tone seemed quite soft or gentle despite his position. But despite the tone, Marcine knew that there was a firmness to the man that reinforced the fact that he was the master and she was to be the servant. Her life was now in his hands, more or less. She was momentarily distracted by the gorgeous portraits upon the walls and was brought out of her spell by Gabriel's question.

With a bow of her head Marcine answered in her own lighthearted tone.

"No, not at all, Master Gabriel. Though most of the townspeople were wary of me as an outsider, they were nonetheless accommodating. The path to your manor is delightfully quaint, if you'll permit me saying so." Marcine didn't have to tell Gabriel of all that she could do. He, as her employer and master, knew exactly what kind of skills she had with her, so there was no need in reiteration. "I appreciate the opportunity you have given me, and I'm grateful that you'll allow me to reside here. Should you need anything further, please, you need but to ask. Now Master, what would you like to eat for dinner tonight? I'm certain I can find my way to the kitchen."

Back
Top Bottom