Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Hoard of the Dragon Queen IC

Lord_Red

Star
The two of you find yourselves on the road to Greenest. One of you has just caught up with the other, and you're about an hour out from the city.

Belle had almost walked past. The bright light making it hard to see beyond a featureless black shadow.

But then, upon seeing who it was, let out a huge squeal. She leapt up, wrapped her arms around the figure, and gave them a huge smooch.

"Oh my gods! I've missed you!" She proclaimed enthusiastically.

Smiling sensuously at her long-time lover, Jasmine replied in kind. "I've missed you, too, dearest Belle. Your companionship is...incomparable."

Bran instinctively jumped back a little when the strange elven-looking woman suddenly grabbed onto Jasmine, but didn't have time to react any further before he realized there was quite clearly nothing to worry about. He raised a curious eyebrow at his companion, still surprised at the greeting the two had shared. "Friend of yours, eh?" He chuckled and nodded to the stranger in greeting. "Looks like a small world."

Glancing over at Bran, she gave a chuckle of her own. "Making new friends is one of the best parts of life. Bran, this is Belle. She's a very special friend of mine."

"Aw. You're so sweet." Belle replied in turn, giving Jasmine a squeeze.

Turning to Jasmine's new friend, she smiled. "Yeah. My name's Belle." She replied, then chuckles. Her ebony cheeks starting to turn the faintest shade of pink. "But you already knew that."

"Oh where are my manners?" She said giving the man a kiss on the cheek. "Yours?" She adds seeking a name.

Bran's eyes widened as Belle leaned in to kiss his cheek, which reddened a little. He didn't meet many people who were so forward. All things considered, he decided he quite liked Belle so far.

"Yeah, it's Bran. Like she said," he chuckled again. "Good to meet you. You on your way to Greenest?"

As the three of you round the bend, you see Greenest appear from around the trees. The city, still a good distance away, is in flames, smoke rising high into the sky above it. Wheeling in the smoke is the form of a massive blue dragon.

Belle chuckles. "It's a pleasure to meet you too Bran."

"And yes. I'm going there to spread the word of Eilistraee, the most holy." Belle said piously.

Which based on the gods Bran has probably heard seemed to conflict with the belly dancer's outfit Belle had on.

Then she saw the flames and paled. Starting to rush towards the city.

"Oh dear, she's being heroic again," Jasmine said, sighing. "Let's go after her, or she'll get hurt or something." Privately, she admired her friend's selfless nobility, even as she chided her for doing something so dangerous.

"Huh...I've never heard of her," Bran frowned as Belle mentioned her goddess, not even trying to pronounce that name himself. "Where are you--"

He cut off as the the city comes into view, his jaw dropping at the sight of the fire and the dragon. "Shit," he breathed, hastening after the elf without needing Jasmine's encouragement. He drew his bow as he ran, thankful that it was already strung--not that it would do much against a dragon, but it would have to be better than nothing. Gods, don't let it come to that...

Close to 45 minutes pass on the journey to the city. Up close, the damage is not quite as bad as it appeared-most buildings are perfectly intact, and there are no fires in immediate sight. However, your rush has drawn the attention of something large and dangerous.

"Humans. You would do best to flee like the other rats," the blue dragon cries out as it lands in front of you.

"Hmph. Always thinking of yourselves. Why not care for the lords of the sky? Why not ask if I am okay?" the dragon says.

Bran narrowly stopped himself from reaching for an arrow as the dragon went in to land. "Umm..." He grabbed at the only straw he could see. "Are you okay?"

"You count as somebody, which makes you part of the everybody we must check on," Jasmine replies. "However, I've noticed that those with a chronic case of morality tend to focus first on those with physical injuries before moving on to the more mental, social, or emotion traumas. I've an open ear to listen, if you like."

"Are you okay?" Belle asks doing a visual scan for injures before realizing she really couldn't identify bruised scales or the like.

So she readies her casting hand just in case.

"Feh. What are mere humanoid injuries compared to the ache of a thousand years alone? With your 'cities' and 'families'... You never know what it's like to be truly without any others," the dragon continues, sounding almost melancholy.

"Okay," Bran said uncertainly. "Is that why you were attacking the city? Because you're lonely?" Part of him realized it was ridiculous to be having this conversation right now, but the rest didn't much like the idea of getting eaten by an angry dragon.

"Of course not! I... I am here because I rule the cult! Not because they approached me! This treasure is going to my hoard, mine!" the dragon roars.

The dragon is lying his ass off, and lying poorly at that.

"Well have you tried building a dragon city?" Belle offers brightly.

"Also what cult, that you are not in charge of?" Belle asked.

"Idiot! To think that would ever work! We are far too proud and too few to ever live together like you can!" he roars back, growing angry.

"Well. Why not use some of that dragon magic to take a human shape?" Belle asks twiddling her fingers nervously.

"And sully myself by pretending to be a weak, pathetic, sensuous, cowardly human? I would never!" the dragon says.

"While I doubt dragons have any desire for more permanent companionship, temporary means on occasion must be delightful. We could help...curb your loneliness, if it would help."

Back
Top Bottom