Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Keeping A Promise-- {guitarfan & randomthings}

guitarfan28

The Punisher
Andrew Lewis looked out his window of his beat up pickup truck. He hadn't had much time to put the time and work into it or get a new one since he has been a Marine since graduating high school. He now had to figure out what he was going to do with the rest of his life. He was still pissed about getting discharged from the military. They tried explaining to him that they had no choice due to his injuries. The military was all he knew and he didn't know where to even start to decide what to do next.

Letting a sigh out he turned down a dirt road to a small little house. It wasn't his house but the house of his best friend, Scott. Scott was his best friend since boot camp. He was his right hand man. The problem was the same attack that injured Andy killed his best friend. He shook away the memory. The memory kept him up at night and haunted the darkest parts of his mind.

Scott made Andy promise him on more than one occasion that if anything were to happen to him, that he would make sure his wife was okay.
"Andy...I need you to promise me man, something happens..." "Scottie, nothing is gonna happen. You have that beautiful wife to get home to so just remember that and make it happen." Andrew holding Scott after getting shot, "Hold on Scottie. Hold on...help is coming." "Andy...promise me man." "Promise you what?" "You know..." Andy looked at him knowing his best friend wasn't going to make it. He nodded. "You know I will. She will be okay."
Andy shook those memories away too. Now that his wife was expecting, Andy knew he had to follow through with that promise. He had called her a few weeks ago and told her he would be in town and was going to stop by. She had no idea he was stopping to check up on her. He had no idea what he was getting into either.

He pulled up to the house and turned the truck off. Andy let out a sigh before getting out and walking to the front door. He walked with a limp from the results of the attack. He just hoped this wouldn't be too hard seeing her husband's best friend. His best friend that made it and he didn't.

The darkness surrounded her as Eliza yelled and yelled."Scott! Scott!"Her voice echoed through the emptyness, but no response came.Her knees fell weak as she fell down to her knees, unable to breathe.Where are you Scott? I can't live without you. And then the morning alarm broke through the nightmare, as the young 21 year old sat up, rubbing her eyes slowly knowing another day had began.

"Good morning my baby'She spoke, her hand rubbing her belly as she sat up.Seven monthsIin the pregnancy, things seemed to get more and more difficult for the young widow.When she needed someone to care for her, all she had was a lonely house that needed her attention.Father Drake often told her to mend things with her family, after all who else did she have? But Eliza refused to do so.She had left that house for a reason, and she was not going to crumble.Pulling her long brown hair into a bun, she managed to stand and start with the day.

As Eliza stood beneath the shower head, Scott began to haunt her.Six months,six months since he had been gone and she still couldn't stand alone.She loved him so much that it hurt.He was her one and now he was gone.If it hadn't for her baby, she would never pull herself together. Sighing, she turned the shower off and wiped her body before stepping out and going through her clothes.Deciding on a yellow dress, she put in on, before looking at herself in the mirror. She already felt tired and it was only morning. The doctor told her to rest and who will take care of her when she was put to bed rest? Her thoughts were cut off by a loud door bell as she frowned, wondering who it was?

Slowly walking out she made it to the door in time and opened it, her hazel eyes looking at who it was."Andy?"She spoke, shocked and stunned, she pulled him to a hug."Oh god, it's really you"She spoke, pressing her face to his neck.He smelled off Scott, he reminded her of Scott.She pulled back, with tears in her eyes. "Thank you for stopping by.Please, come in"She spoke, inviting him inside.She walked in to the kitchen, which like everything in the house was untidy too.Dirty Dishes, stains here and there, broken shelves-it was hard to believe it was Eliza's and Scott's house.The same house that was always kept neat and beautifulbeautiful by the beautiful wife who once eagerly awaited her husband's return.Now, nothing was to await."How have you been, Andy?"She asked him politely, looking at him intently.

He couldn't help but think Eliza looked beautiful in that simple dress. He was taken back a second when she pulled him into a hug. Andy was surprised but not. He had known her awhile since Scott and he had been friends for so long and he should have known she was gonna give him a hug. His eyes then went to her stomach when she pulled away. "Wow you look great. How are things with the baby?"

Andy walked in his friend's house and it was weird knowing Scott would never walk through that door again. "I'm doing okay. I'm through with physical therapy on the leg. They said I'll probably have the limp for a bit." He shrugged. "But I'm..." He stopped himself from saying 'pretty lucky.' His best friend, her husband, wasn't so lucky. "But I'm doing well." He gave her a small nod.

His eyes moved to the parts of the house that were running down. He knew she couldn't do much with the pregnancy but with losing her husband she probably really didn't feel like doing a whole lot. "How have you been?" His hands stuffed into his pockets. He wanted to know how she really was, not how she pretended to be.

Eliza led him in, before looking at the unclean table and sighing.She knew her house was running down, and she needed help, but who would help her? "The baby is good, it's a boy"She told him with a dimpled smile, making him sit on the dining table."What would you like? Some coffee? "She asked, turning on the coffee maker for both of them.

"That's very good to hear"She said, turning to face him with a soft smile on her face.He was as handsome as always. It was like no years had passed by since Scott first introduced them.Scott brought them together. She hoped Scott's death didn't rip them apart.The coffee maker beeped as she pulled out two mugs."How do you like your coffee, Andy?"

She stopped hearing his question. How was she? The house was a mess.She was miserable, depressed and scared.The baby was about to come and she had not even started on the nursery.And then the time of her labour? Who would even drive her to the hospital? "I am fine, I guess"She answered, giving him the coffee before sitting down across him."I am sorry that you got discharged off duty...but I think it was good that you came out safely.What are your plans?"

He sat at the table and smiled when she mentioned the baby was a boy. Scott would have been thrilled. A little soldier of his own. "Coffee would be great thank you." He smiled at her. Andy felt a bit weird and not really sure what to talk about but his eyes couldn't help but look around the place and feel he should do something to help her.

"Just cream please." His fingers moved around the rim of his coffee mug. All Andy was thinking of was what would Scott be doing if he was here. He wouldn't have let things get so bad. Andy kept his friend a promise and he would have to keep it.

Andrew could see she wasn't fine. He saw through her words. His hand reached out to touch hers. "Eliza...you need help. Let me do something to help. I can come fix some of this stuff and do whatever you need." He gave her small delicate hands a small squeeze before letting go. He didn't want to hold onto her hand too much. "I'm sorry too. I'm a Marine. I've been one my whole adult life. I don't know what else to do. This was my life. I have no plans. That's even a better reason to let me help you." He smiled and grinned at her. "Plus...I made Scottie a promise to look after you. So I have to..." He smiled at her. Andy was the only one that ever called Scott, Scottie. He came up with the name on his own and he just always called him that.

"I can start today. What needs done the most?"

Eliza tugged the loose strands of her long hair, looking at him with appreciation.She sipped her coffee,savouring it's bitter sweet taste before putting it down.She was surprised as he cupped her hand, telling her that he wanted to stay."What?That would be wonderful, I mean, that is a very generous offer Andrew but I can't hold you back here.."She spoke softly, feeling the warmth of his fingers leave.

She needed someone around to help, bad, and he would be perfect.Just the kind of guy who she could trust in. But she coudn't be so selfish. "Your leg is still healing Andy.You need to take care of yourself not me"She said with a soft smile.She bit her bottom lip as he insisted on staying with her and helping her with the house."Andy..."She groaned slightly,before finally giving."Alright..thank you for this"She said with a genuine smile.

"Will you be moving in?"She asked him, trying to clarify what it meant.If he stayed with her, she would be relieved knowing some one would be there when she went in labour. She stood up, biting her bottom lip as he asked what should he get started on."The nursery, I guess"She suggested, after thinking for a while.It felt nice to hear him say Scottie, it felt homely and nice.She knew he loved Scott as much as she did and he was the only one who understood what it was to loose him so early.

He smiled a bit at her being concerned for his leg. "I'll be fine. The leg is healing. If it hurts too much I'll take a break. Not a big deal." Andy had been having a lot of pain but he always fought through the pain with things. This would be no different. Plus he could work around the pain. He did have medicine to help and there were things he could sit to do.

Eliza asked about him moving in. His mind didn't go that far. He lived farther away and it honestly would make sense for him to just stay with her. "Uh..Well what would you prefer about me moving in? Do you have the space for me?" Andy didn't need much he could sleep just about anywhere, the couch, floor, his truck. He had been so used to sleeping in the worst of places on deployment, anything was better then the sand pits he slept in before. "If I move in I'll need to grab some things, some tools, clothes." He hadn't imagined having to stay so he wasn't prepared to but it did make the most sense if she was willing to let him stay.

Andy smiled at Eliza. "The nursery huh?" He stopped a moment and his smile faded. That was something Scott should be working on not him. But he knew he should do it so that baby had a place to call their own. "What ideas do you have for it? Do you have colors and a theme?" He took a few drinks of his coffee before leaning back in his chair. His hand ran through his hair. He still felt a bit weird about working on the nursery but he knew it needed done.

'If it hurts too much,you tell me'She cut him off, her hazel eyes looking at him with deep concern.She knew Andrew as long as she knew Scott.She had met Scott after he joined the Marines, and she was aware of the big risk he carried but she fell in love.

Eliza chewed on her bottom lip, before tugging her hair behind her ears."I have plenty of room for you, Andy..but you dont have to stay if you dont want to."She spoke.He was finally discharged and he should be looking to start his life again, not being held up by his best friend's wife, whom he himself had no connection with."I wouldn't want to hog all of your time but it would be nivce if you stayed till the baby came..I..dont have anybody other than Scott and now he is gone.."She had tears welling up in her eyes.She looked down, wiping them off.'It would be nice to have somebody just for this last month.."

Scott had colours and theme for it.He was so excited when she told him she was pregnant, he had already started planning for it."I really dont..thinking about is.."She didn't want to use the word depressing.-"Sad.It reminds me of Scott, but we need to do it.How about animal themed? "

Andy never really had anyone look after him before so when she spoke of him speaking up if it started to hurt. "Yes ma'am." He joked with a chuckle.

"It would be my pleasure to stay. I have no where else to be or anything else to do. Truth is, the military was what I mnew so I don't know where to go now. This will give me something useful to do with my time." That was the truth 6oo. He had no idea and maybe being there with her, he could figure it out. This was something he would have asked Scott advice on. Scott came to Andy when he was falling for Eliza. Andy smiled at the memory as he listened to her. "I would love to stay. I can stay as long as you need me to."

He took a few more drinks of his coffee. "Well I'll need to run to my place and get some things. Feel up to riding with me. We can stop at the store and get supplies for the nursery. I would like to see what I have to work with though." His eyes looked down when she teared up. Andy felt like he should have died and not Scott. He had a family to live for. Andy had nothing.

Eliza couldn't help but let a small laugh out as he called her yes ma'am.That is how Scott would react when she got all bossy on him, and she had really missed hearing that phrase.

She nodded, knowing how it was for him.Once the baby comes, she would help him live his life again.Find a woman, fall in love and have their own little family.She nodded to him, finishing her coffee."That sounds like a plan"She spoke agreeing.

Clutching the ends of her chair, she forced herself up with a lot of effort.Normally, pregnant woman needed help but she had learned to do it on her own."I'll just change and come"She spoke before leaving for her room.She didn't know she might be going out today, so she had dressed in one of her night wear.Pulling out a grey dress she put it on, before brushing her hair straight and letting it fall down.Grabbing her purse, she walked down, giving him a smile."Let's go".

Andy got up and looked around the kitchen a bit of some things he could fix up. He was making a small mental note. He put his hands in his pockets as he waited for her. It didn't take long before she was back. He smiled at her. She looked beautiful but he didn't feel it was appropriate to say that to his dead friend's wife.

"Alright." He walked out to his truck with her. He wanted to fix the truck up or get a new one but before now he didn't have much time to really even worry about it. "Sorry my truck will not break down I promise." He laughed a bit. "It just needs some cosmetic work." Andy opened her doors for her. After she got in he shut the door and got in himself to head back to his place. They had a bit of a drive to talk a bit.

"So what kind of animals were you thinking? Like Noah's Ark animals or like safari animals or what?" Andy didn't really hear Scott really say what it was that he wanted. He was kind of kicking himself for not asking more questions about it. He would want it the way Scott wanted it now how he thought it should be. "What colors you thinking? Keeping it neutral or do you know the gender?"

Eliza walked out with him.She locked her house before raising her eyebrows at the condition of his truck."I'll take your word on it"She told him with a smile, before getting in.She couldn't help but feel nice when he opened her door and closed, taking care of her like Scott would have.Maybe with him around, she would be less depressed.

The truck grumbled a bit before it hit the road."You really should buy a new one Andy"She said, caressing the sides of the door.'Scott said he would want some princesses if it was a girl and animals if I was a boy.Since, it is a boy I was thinking of going with light blue colour"

Watching the trees pass by, it felt nice to be out of her home and have a specific task to do.Sinking into depression in the seventh month was not good, and she thought maybe she could fight it now."What ideas you have?"

Andy smiled at her. "Nah, I'll just fix her up if I get time. But I guess that I will have a lot of that now that discharged. Plus I have some money coming so I can afford it." He did want to fix it up or maybe she was right, maybe just buy a new one with the money. He hadn't bought a new truck ever. He had the same one since he first got his license and it showed.

He drove and glanced at her from time to time as she talked. "We can do light blue. And animals are a good start. Maybe we should check out the other stuff for the nursery first to know how to do everything. I honestly know nothing about babies or what they like." He laughed a bit. That was the truth too, Andy was the perfect definition of a bachelor. When he was on leave he liked to drink and have fun. His buddies figured he would be a Marine for life and never really settle down. Andy honestly thought about it but then he would see Eliza and Scott and couldn't help but want that. But what was the chances of him finding a love like that?

"What was Scott's favorite animal? Maybe we can do something with that since he wanted animals." He shrugged not really sure if that was a good idea or not but it was an idea. He wanted this kid to have a part of his dad too. "Do you have a name picked out?"

Eliza nodded as he spoke.It was nice to have someone to talk to She missed it, and she was really glad Andy decided to help her.A little laugh escaped her lips as he said he didn't know anything about what a baby likes.She couldn't help but laugh at the way he spoke it."Dont worry, Baby's are pretty adjustable to anything we give them. "

She thought about it for a moment."Scott liked..Giraffes.We could do that.Cartoon giraffe is pretty cute.Mom and me has some pretty designs. We should go there"She spoke with a smile."No names yet..'She answered softly, looking away from him.

A little while later, the truck stopped and she looked out to see they were there.Opening the door, she stepped out carefully, a hand on her belly, her eyes examining his house.

He smiled a bit. "Just like a Marine. We adjust anything too." Andy smiled at her before looking out the window as he drove. He didn't mind she laughed at his lack of knowledge in the baby department.

Andy nodded at her suggestion of giraffes. "Scottie didn't seem like the giraffe kinda guy but I like it. I think the baby will like it too." He shot her a quick smile. "Oh so you want to stop at your mom's house? We can do that." He glanced at her when she got soft. "Hey, it's okay. You have time."

Once he got to his house he parked and got out. She beat him out so he couldn't have gotten her door. He looked for the key to the front door. "Sorry I didn't know I'd have guests over so it is a tad messy." He unlocked the door and made his way inside. It was a small simple house. His mail was scattered on a small table by the door. He went in and grabbed his dufflebag out of a closet by the front door. He went around and started putting a few things in it. "Make yourself at home. I would offer you something...but I only have beer and water...so you want water?" There was a picture of Andy and Scott in their uniforms together in the living room.

Eliza smiled too at his comment.It reminded her of Scott in a good way.It felt nice to have someone to talk about the baby.Someone to get her excited for her baby back again, someone to add a little life in her lonely world."No..no..my mom lives in Georgia. 'Mom n me' is a store here, for babies."She explained to himIt was cute how he talked, clearly so confused about the whole baby thing.

"Oh, that's something he never told anyone.You won't believe that he has a big giraffe toy back at home.I'll show you"She told him, before getting out of the car.She followed him back to his house, knowing it had been years since she had been here.

Usually, Andy and Scott would hang out at their place, and all the holidays they celebrated together. They were a close knit family, whom God had opened the ties to.She looked around the room, sitting on the couch."No..it's better than mine"She noted, getting up and taking a glass of water.Her eyes spotted something as she slowly went there.It was Scott.She picked uo the frame, staring at it emotionlessly.Seeing his picture was like a punch of emotions that she had tried to supress.Tears dropped her eyes and it was like she lost him all over again.

Andy walked back in the room and saw Eliza and noticed she was crying. Damn he shouldn't have brought her there. He sighed and walked over hugging her. His arms wrapped around her and he held her tight to him. "I'm sorry...I..." He let out a sigh. What could he say. Andy liked seeing him but that was her husband, it had to be harder for her to see pictures of him. Especially of the two in their uniforms.

Andy just held her and let her cry. He wondered if she had actually had someone hug her like that and just let her cry. She needed it either way. Andrew was actually a pretty good hugger. He was the type of hugger that held the person close and tight. He did that with her, even giving her a small squeeze from time to time. He didn't say it was okay because to her, it wasn't. Or that it would be, because he didn't know that. He didn't know if any words would be enough for her to hear. "Just let it out." He did finally say.

He would keep his arms wrapped around her until she was done crying. Despite the injury to his leg, he would stand there hugging her all day if that was what she needed. They had time. Plenty of time. Right now she needed to get a lot of feelings out that Andy figured she had kept bottled up inside.

Eliza was a little taken back when Andy hugged her.She froze in his embrace before letting her body relax to his touch.It was greatly comforting and warm, melting her facade.Her face was burried in his chest, as she sobbed.She was all alone. And first time in months, someone had hugged her like this.

'I'm scared..I can't live without him..I had no one but him"She sobbed out, her body shaking.Her father had died when she was only seven.And her step dad was a monster.She had run away from home at the age of 16 and had taken modeling as profession.She had no friends, no family until she met Scott when she was 19.Leaving her job for him, she married him and moved here to the suburbs with him.Now, she had some friends but no one was very close to her.Scott was really all she had.Her fingers clenched his T-shirt as she let it all out.

Everybody told her it would be okay.And when somebody said that to her, she would immediately pull up her facade of dealing with it.But Andy didn't say that and she was thankful for it.The truth was it wouldn't be okay, ever.She was now, all alone in this world, on her own."How will I take care of the baby? I haven't even finished highschool..i can't do this.."She spoke out her fears.

Andy just held her close still and let her talk. He wasn't sure what to say at first then he just started talking. "I understand. It's okay to be scared. Want to know a secret?" He paused but didn't really expect an answer but more needed the courage to say what he was about to say. "I'm scared. I've wanted nothing more than to be a Marine and now I'm not. And normally Scottie would be right next to me and we'd figure it out together...but...I have to figure it out on my own. I have no idea what I'm going to do."

He let out a sigh and rubbed her back gently for a bit. Then he heard her words. 'Can't' wasn't in his vocabulary. He gave her a big squeeze before he pulled back and looked into her eyes. His hands reached up to take her face in his hands. His thumbs brushing her tears away. "Don't ever say you can't do anything. Can't is unacceptable. You CAN do this. I know you can. You are stronger than you think. You can have the baby and go back and get your G.E.D. We'll figure it out. Together." He wasn't sure why it came out like that. They weren't really together, but she needed him.

"Eliza, I'm not gonna leave while you still need me. I'm here for you. As long as you need me. We will get through this and figure it out. I promise." His arms wrapped around her again with a bit of a squeeze. "I'm gonna go get my tools then lets go get some cool giraffe stuff at...Mom and me?" He said the store hesitantly. He had no idea what kind of place it was.

He made his way to the garage and grabbed some tools and loaded them up into his truck. He looked at the truck and realize that he would maybe have to get a better car if he would drive Eliza and the baby around. Going back inside he looked for her. "You ready?"

Eliza felt more comforted in his arms than she had felt in the past year.There was something about the way he held her, the way he rubbed her arms that spoke something about him.She looked up at him when he asked her if she would like to know a secret.She slowly nodded, her hazel eyes fixed on his face.A sense of relieve rushed through her as he told her that, she was not the only one crumbling down without Scott.

She pulled back when he made her, looking up at him.She smiled hearing his words.'You think?"She asked, wiping her tears.She knew she could manage.She would manage.She managed to live on her own when she left her house at 16, she managed to work her way up to one of the highest paid models, she would manage to raise her baby.

"Okay"She spoke, nodding at him.'Yes, Me an Mom"She confirmed with a laugh, keeping Scott's picture back.She followed him out, carefully getting into his truck.Guiding him as to the direction, they soon reached the shop.It was a big shop, filled with various products for new born babies to 3 year olds."Hello, How may I help you?"A sale woman asked them.

Andy informed the worker they were looking for things for a nursery and the theme were Giraffes. The worker took them over to what they had that they may like. Andy looked around the store on the way to the section and wondered how he went from the battlefield to a store called Me and Mom. He shook it off though as he knew he needed to be there for Eliza. She needed him.

He let her pick out anything she wanted for the nursery or the baby in general. They needed to be prepared. He was more focused on the big things like the crib and carseat. Those were two big things they would need in order to bring a baby home. Wait when did it start to become something 'they' needed to do. He figured he would be there when his buddy's wife brought their child into this world. It was only right he stayed and tried to help her especially after the baby was born. He was right what else would he be doing anyway?

"This place is way overwhelming for a bachelor." He smiled and joked a bit. Going around looking at a few other things picking them up thinking they may need them. Then he saw this huge stuffed Giraffe. He looked at Eliza. "I think we should get that too..." He smiled. "What are we missing anything?"

Eliza hadn't been at baby stores since the past six months.It always became too overwhelming for her.But with Andy here, it was like she had a part of Scott and it made things easier. And she knew, she needed to start preparing herself for this baby.She took some small one pieces, and some milk bottles before she saw what Andy was pointing at."Yes, we should"She spoke with a smile.

Her hands gripped his forearm casually, for support as she glanced through the wall stickers.The touch was light, and casual as she rested a little of her weight on him for support."We won't be able to get everything today.I'll make a list and then we'll see."She told him, putting all the things she had selected in a basket. "We could get the crib after we select the paint."She suggested, feeling exhausted already. All of this walking, was too much for her.

She guided him to the counter and let the lady there bill it up, along with the big stuffed giraffe Andy had chosen."Is it a boy?"The lady asked, seeing the blue onesies.Eliza smiled and nodded."Hmm, It will look very cute, especially with a combination of you two.'She spoke, tearing off the receipt. Eliza opened her mouth to protest, but then closed it.How would she explain it to her.Muttering a thank you, she left the store, trying not to make anything big out of what the lady just spoke.

Andy wouldn't let her pay for anything. It was his treat and something he wanted to do for her and the baby. He didn't bother correcting the lady or even bring it up once they were outside. He was sure it was expected with them shopping together. The truck was soon loaded up and they were on their way back to her house.

"Let me get the rest of the things you need for the baby. Let it be like a present for you both." It wasn't really a question but more of a statement.

Once they got back to her house he grabbed the bags for the baby and carried them in, then he grabbed his own bags and carried those in. "So...where do you want me to set up my room? Or am I on the couch? Which is fine with me. If you've seen the places we've had to sleep a couch is a good trade up." He chuckled a bit. Andy was eager to get started on working on the house. He liked working on houses so since he had to give some things up, working on a house wasn't one of those things.

Eliza protested, saying it was too much.She knew she had to use her money wisely, and it wasn't like Scott had left her bankrupt, he had left a good amount of money for her, which had been starting to get low on funds."Andy, I can't. "She spoke, getting inside the truck."It is too much, I can't let you pay for all of this."She protested, looking at him.

What he was doing for her was already too much, paying all of it would cause her to sink in debt.She followed him out to her house, watching him set everything in."Of course not.We have a few empty rooms."She spoke, guiding him.She had kept the nursery right next to her room, and there was a room empty just down the hall.

She took him there, embarassed by it's condition.It had a plain bed and a dresser, but the room was dirty. Dust and cobwebs were everywhere, with the light blue paint getting faded a little."I'm sorry it's a bit..dirty.I'll help you clean it."She spoke, getting a mop and duster.

"Yes you can...just let me do it." He gave her a grin. "I want to. It's okay."

Andy followed her down the hall to the bedroom that he would soon be calling his. He looked around when he walked in and put bags down on the bed. "Eliza...it's fine." He let out a sigh and started to unload his bags in the dresser. Once she returned he stopped and grabbed her hands, taking the mop and duster. "I got this. You go sit and relax." He didn't let her protest much before gently pushing her out of the room. Once she was gone he started cleaning it and it was clean in no time.

He then changed into his work clothes and headed to the kitchen where he started working right away. It was good for him to keep busy and there was plenty for him to do around her house. He would have it fixed up and looking good in no time. Andy worked for hours and the longer he worked the hotter he got so he removed his shirt as he worked with a few drops of sweat rolling down his back and chest.

Back
Top Bottom