Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The Rule of the Church is Absolute (me and Fogu_s_Tofu)

SHIBBY+_+

Pulsar
Rosetta Moretti was a young girl, only about 19 years old. She still had a long life ahead of her, and plenty of the world still to see. However...most girls her age of her time would have probably already been married with a child on the hip and perhaps another on the way. That might have been the case if both her parents had still been alive and well. She was orphaned, and it only happened about 7 years ago. They had been executed by the church. They accused her mother of being a whore...it had been a lie...but the powers that be and their thirst for blood executed her anyway...why? To instil fear into the rest of the crowd? Because she did something wrong? Rosetta knew the answer all too well.

She had been 12 years old when it happened, still a child at the time and a big bundle of fun. The day was going as normal. Her mother was cooking in the kitchen, while she washed the clothes and tended to the hens they owned. Three men dressed wearing the amour of the city guard approached their home. She watched from outside as they strode through the door as if they owned the place and demanded that she pay "taxes". Rosetta did not understand why they wanted the money; they had already paid their share last week.

When her mother refused, things got violent. They said that if she didn't have the money she would pay with her body. Rosetta had no idea what that had meant, but she would quickly find out. Her mother cried out to her and told her to run as they took a hold of her struggling body and held her down to the floor. They stripped her of her clothing and they raped her, every single one, using her like a piece of meat.

Rosetta could do nothing but watch. She was shocked. She had never seen her mother in so much distress. She had never known a thing about sex, but she knew it wasn't supposed to be like that. Then one of the men turned and looked at her lewdly and said "Letâ??s get the girl next". Had her father not walked in a few minutes later they would have raped her to.

When her father did walk in she ran to him and hid behind him. She had tears in her eyes and was crying. She was so scared and pleaded for him to get the men off her mother. Her father looked at the sight of her mother on the floor, covered in her tears and their sweat. He snapped. She had never seen him so angry in his life. He picked up the kitchen knife and slit every guardâ??s throat. There was so much blood. Rosetta never forgot the sight. The image would stay burned in her mind, along with the one of her mother being raped.

The church would never accept the guards being accused as rapists. It would destroy their "pure" image. So her mother was turned whore, and her father murderer. They were executed, and the whole city cheered with glee...except for the one little girl who had seen it all and knew the truth. She was now the daughter of a whore and a murderer. All those except for her close family and friends believed that way.

She had lived a hard life from then on; she had work to earn her keep. She never sold herself though. Till she was old enough, she lived with her Aunt and Uncle. She worked on their farm and earned her money that way. A few years ago she had moved back into her own home. She felt she could not burden her family any longer. Besides, she had some of her own money saved, she could use it to grow and sell her own crops. She had done so for the last two years. She had moved back into her childhood home and erased any trace of the events that took place here. She set up a small plot of land which to grow crops with and repaired the hen she had.

She woke up today with a sigh. She dressed in a simple green gown and put her long brown wavy hair into a bun. She had a good looking figure. She was lean and curvy; perhaps if she lived a more extravagant life she may have looked a little more wholesome. She walked into the kitchen and warmed up some of the stew she had made the night before and poured herself a bowl. She ate quietly and silently. The house seemed empty. The only noise to be heard was her sounds of her eating. She did at times get lonely hear. In fact, she never had any siblings, she had felt lonely the moment her parents had been executed.

Once she had finished eating she washed up and moved to the cupboard. She picked up her coin purse and moved out into the garden. She picked the fresh crops, keeping some for herself, the others she would barter away at the markets. Putting them all into a basket she would walk alone to the markets.

The markets were always the busiest part of the city and a place riddled with pickpockets and thieves. Over the years she had learned how to thwart the more amateur thieves. She didn't find herself missing a few things when she got home anymore. She made her way through the hustle and bustle of the crowd. All the people looked happy and cheerful. She may have been too if she had a single friend of her own. She finally made her way over to the stall she was looking for. The manâ??s name was Ezio. Over the years he had become the one that she had sold her crop to most, he always gave a good price.

He smiled at her and said "Good day Rosetta, what have you got for me?". He was about 5 years older than her and produce merchant here. He had a mop of black hair and a pair of brown eyes. He was in shape but he was married and she suspected that in his later years he would lose his good form.

She gave him a smile out of courtesy and said "I have tomatoes, pumpkin, onions, leek, potatoes, lettuce, eggs and a few cucumbers, all picked this morning". He nodded and took the sack she had been carrying. After weighing out the goods, they shook hands and the money changed hands. Rosetta did not make enough money to buy herself a mansion, but it was plenty for a women living on her own to live on. She looked at him and said "Thank you Ezio". He nodded and she continued her way through the markets. She was running low on flour, sugar and salt. She looked around for a merchant who was not about to rip her off.

Aischylos trudged into the city market. Not even a day back from such a long journey and the priests had already given him a new job. Following around a silly girl. Honestly he wondered how exactly she could be so evil. She'd brought vegatables, sold them and was already moving on. the man she'd just traded with, he moved to his stall and picked up a tomatoe, one the girl had just sold. "Property of the church." He stated and followed quickly after Rosetta.

She lingered here and there, buying and selling as she needed. Aischylos stalked, the fruit slowly disappearing staining his clothes with a faint pink. He paused but a moment to wipe his mouth and face. When he'd looked up, she was gone. He pushed past a scrawny man with a basked, causing the poor fellow to lose a nice gathering of eggs. The mess collected on the enforcer's shoes and pants, but he didn't care. In a moment he turned a corner and found her just a ways off stopping at another booth. So far, there seemed nothing wrong with the woman's actions. To him, she seemed another patron in the market. He made a mental note to question Father Otis. He cut through the crowd, he didn't need to lose her again. Once he was at a safe distance, he found himself another snack. This time dried meat. To avoid any confrontation that would alert the girl, he paid the man. Eye's ever aware of the young lady he pursued.

Ezio frowned as Aischylos just picked up his freshly bought tomato and claimed it was property of the church before walking off. He disliked many of the guards for this very reason, the church seemed to give them absolute power over everyone. He frowned and mumbled something to him self, calling him "scum of the church" or something along those lines

Rosetta continued through the markets, bartering with various merchants and continuing on her way through the long line of stalls. Eventually she noticed a man who seemed to be following her. She would have thought nothing of it if he had not been stopping at every stall she stopped at and disturbing other people as he tried to follow her. She'd seen when he created a mess with the eggs.

She didn't let on that she knew though. She continued shopping as she normally would, however she took a turn down an empty street and stood at the corner. If he came around the corner, she would be certain. She waited for a few minutes before sure enough he would come around the corner. She looked down a little, letting him walk ahead a few paced before she called out from behind. "If you done tailing me, what is that you want" she said looking at his back right now. The voice she used to call him out was not cocky or authoritative but sounded rather cold. It was not that she was angry, but that she had lost her sense of trust in human beings. She looked at him and seemed to cross her arms. She did not know who the man was, nor that he worked for the church. She thought he was a citizen just like her.

He figured that she'd seen him by now, turning down an empty ally like she did. He passed her by like it was nothing, when she called to him. He turned to see here with crossed arms and an annoyed face.

"I am just trying to figure out why someone would want you dead." He had no emotion on his face, he might as well have been wearing a full helmet. "Why do you ask?" The question's tone was filled full of sarcasm.

Rosetta looked at him when he spoke. She felt a pang worry move through her when he said someone wanted her dead but she didn't show it, her facial expression the same was before. She frowned at his sarcastic voice and she said "Leave me alone" and turned back around and back into the markets, joining the crowd, though she was a lot more wary then she would normally be.

She walked through the markets continuing to shop before heading home. It was not late in the day, the sun was still high in the sky when she returned home. By this point, his death threat had been pushed to the back of her mind.

She entered her home and put her coin purse and purchases away where they belonged and began to start cooking her evening meal. She felt like pie tonight.

He had no intentions of leaving her alone, but for now, she could go. He shrugged after she left and headed off into the city.

the church, how grand it was to be home. the beatifully crafted pews lined up in uniform split by the lavish purple rug. The stained glass windows of the saints caught his eye as he passed through the beautiful glow they threw upon the floor. There was not a single person visible, but he was sure he heard talking.

"Calm down father. I'm sure that Aischylos will take care of the little heratic." He stepped to the confession booth.

"And I shall." There was a moment of silence then father Otis came out.

"Why are you here. You should be handeling that little wench!" He nearly yelled.

"I'll be catching her at home, Father. I was simpl..." He was interrupted as the man fumed. "Go get her now!" Aischylos nodded and he left the house of man... lately he noticed god had not been dwelling there. He crossed his heart as he passed the crusifix and made haste into the streets.

She hadn't been cooking long when He knocked on her door. As he waited outside he thought of the house. It looked, familiar.

Rosetta had indeed not been cooking for very long when she heard the knock. She put her utensils down and took of her apron before walking to the door. She closed her eyes crossing her own heart before she opened the door.

She had expected it to be her Aunt, she always came to visit around this time of day. However she was given a surprise when he saw him. She frowned and crossed her arms and said "I told you to leave me alone" she said.

Whoever he was, she didn't care, any man who made death threats was not welcome in her home.

"I can't." He said flatly, what little emotion he showed, was boredom. "I'll stand here all night if I have to. You're just lucky I didn't right out kill you too. The priests, they don't seem to like you much, and in all honesty, I'm starting to lose my faith in them." He crossed his arms and put his weight on the left leg. "So, I will study you untill I make up my mind for a change." He sniffed the air. Whatever she was cooking, it smelled nice. "It might be the only thing that keeps you alive."

Rosetta looked at him when he said he could not leave her alone. He then went on to speak of the priests. So they were the ones who wanted her head. She expected as much, after all, she knew way to much. She looked at him and said "Fine...don't expect any food" she said pushing open the door and standing to the side to let him in. Once he was inside she closed the door and locked it before she returned to the kitchen. Slipping her apron back on she continued to cook. She felt a little uncomfortable with him in her house, but she really did not have a choice.

"I don't expect a thing."
He stepped in and took a spot to the side, waiting to see if he'd be seated. If not, this is where he'd remain unless she moved to another room. "My name is, Aischylos Polyxena. Thank you for not making me wait out in the cold." He didn't get bothered by the cold, but it was still better to be warm.

She began to cut some vegetables rather loudly, obviously displaying her displeasure. When he spoke and stopped and said "My name is Rosetta Moretti" she said before she continued to cut. She only gave him he name becouse he had given his, but she suspected he already knew what her name was, and probably a lot more than she cared to share.

"I know." He replied. he was surpised that he was given so little information. A name an address and a descrption. They said she was a theif, unkind, a heretich wench. So far, he saw none of that in her. Here he was, at least allowed in the house, rather than freezing. She seemed kind enough, and knew even the nicest person would be a bit rude to someone such as him. He never warrented any kindness. "Smell's good." He'd always liked any food he'd get outside of the church. gruel, it was just too bland for his taste. "Is that thyme I smell?"

Rosetta continued to cook and move about the kitchen. She put various ingredients into a pot and began to cook the filling of the pie just a little. When he spoke. She nodded and said "Yes...It is" she told him. She then pulled out a large bowl and dumped some flour in it, butter and milk and an egg or two in it and began to make the pastry. She didn't need to measure out the contents. She had made it so many times she did not need to. She rolled out the dough that it was thin and lined the pie tin with it. She then put the filling in which consisted of some meat and vegetables before covering the top and putting it into the traditional sort of oven which was heated by a fire at the bottom. She tossed a few logs of wood in before closing the door shut.

She looked at him and said "Your wondering why they sent you to kill me aren't you" she said to him.

He watched as she did everything with ease. His stunned and interested expression evident when she turned and spoke to him. "This would be the first time I have ever questioned them."
He leaned against the wall. "I've not been feeling too well about this. I haven't been feeling God in the church. It truely worries me. All the day long I've felt a gnawing at my soul, and wonder if I'm some how, unconciously, prepairing myself for Hell." He looked sick with the thoughts he had been having. Doubtful even. "I'd like to do at least one thing right before I'm gone on."

Rosetta looked at him and noticed his expression. It seemed she had caught him off guard. She looked at him and she nodded. She said down at her table. She looked down and said "I know why they want me dead, but its not becouse I've broken the law or becouse I'm a whore". She looked at him, a serious expression on her face. "Its becouse I know something they would rather no one ever be told" she said to him.

"It would seem that there's alot of that these days. Two of my colleagues have disappeared. Lord only knows where they are." He slid to sit on the floor. "I think I will soon be next. A younger enforcer is soon to be cleared for service. In his naivity, I believe he will be the one sent for me." He swallowed down some saliva. "He doesn't know anything, just as I once knew nothing."

She looked at him and said "They claim to be the messengers of god, but they are all corrupt, every single one of them. It's sickening". She looked down and sighed. She looked at him and said "Do you still think they stand for everything that is right and holy?" she asked.

He thought long and hard about her question. His reply was quick and simple. "No." Aischylos brought himself to his feet. "I've been seeing things through different eyes, wise eyes. Instead of my old, blind, obediant eyes." He moved to the door. "I've burdoned you enough this night. Farewell Miss Moretti." He opened the door and stepped out.

Rosetta watched as he left. She looked down and sighed. She was worried. She had every right to be. If this man didn't kill her for the church, there were plenty more that would. She locked the door after him as he left and returned to sitting at her table. She tried to push the thoughts from her mind and closed her eyes. She put her head into her hands and closed them. Images from that horrid day flashed into her mind and she snapped her eyes back open. She looked down and shook her head. Now wasn't the time to start bawling her eyes over the memories of her parents.

Ten minutes later she would retrieve her pie from the oven and cut herself a slice and began to eat. The house once again silent. Usually she would have no problem, but the day was coming to a close and the night would come. It scared her. She locked all the windows and doors before she headed into her room and changed into her night gown. She let her hair down and brushed it before she slipped under the covers of her warm bed. Closing her eyes she tried to clear her mind so she could at least sleep through this night.

The walk to the church was long, Aischylos took every side route he could. His soul felt heavy, he'd been getting too tired lately. He came upon the doors of the place, and stopped. There was nothing here for him anymore. He turned, and headed for the only other place he knew to have a cross, the cemetary. This was a more direct path, he needed to be under the symbol, and he needed a warm place. It was supposed to rain this night, and he needed not to get sick.

Once there, he soght out his reward. Saying a few prayers among the tombs, he found one with a pleasant over hang, and there, rested his head. Thoughts of everything from the past months coming to a head.

Rosetta slept through the night, holding her cross in her hand. She slept in her bed through the sounds of the rain on the roof. She woke the next morning and she sat up in her bed. She said a prayer, asking for gods guidance in her plight. She got up and she dressed, today choosing a blue gown for today. She put her up and pinned it in place.

For her breakfast she would warm up the pie from the night before and cut her self another piece. She was edgy, and she was tense. If she heard any sound in her house, her head would snap in that direction. If they did not come for her today, it would be tomorrow. She had to go, get out of this house. Perhaps she could go to her Aunts....no...that would not be fair. She could never put them in danger.

The morning brought Aischylos from his slumber. The spot he'd chosen did it's job for the most part, it had a small crack that allowed rain to drip on his leg and foot. The night had allowed him to come to a conclusion. He no longer worked for the church, he worked directly for god. At this moment, he knew where he needed to be. The one place where he was truely needed, Rosetta's house.

He pulled himself up to his feet and started to plod towards her home. Along the way he shed the necklace with the seal of the churches enforcers, dropping the golden trinket in the mud where it sunk. He wanted no more part of the life or the people. Before long, he stood outside of her door once again. With a deep breath he knocked.

Rosetta was sitting at her table when he knocked. She nearly jumped out of her skin. She stood up and picked up a small knife and hid it up her sleeve. What ever was facing her behind that. door she could not know. She walked slowly taking small steps. Once she reached the door, her hand a little shakily unlocked it and opened it a crack to see who it was.

When she saw his face she was a little relieved. She crossed her heart and opened the door. She looked at him and said "Yes...". She looked at him and said "If you are seen here they will accuse you of heracy" she said.

He was surprised she'd opened the door at all. "Better now than later." He replied. He knew the risks and cared not anymore. "May I?" He figured that if he were here before any others, he could hold off the others untill they caught on.

Rosetta looked at him and nodded. She let him inside and she locked the door. She put the knife back down and said "Why do you care so much about some girls safety?" she asked him. She was curious as to why he would even want to put himself in danger. Sure he could decided to leave the church, but that didn't mean he had to defend her.

Back
Top Bottom