Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Purely Business (Goody and Mysterious)

A show would be great and she knew exactly who she would want to work with, too. Having a producer husband woukd bring a lot of opportunities to WebWatch that might not have been there before, new original shows and movies, different contracts, and publicity. " if we were to do something based of a comic book, I wouldn't want it to be something that was too mainstream, I would prefer something we could build up, like one of the old Vertigo series. Or maybe even a new one. I know my brothers are really into those. People in general like the series that are more gritty and dark anyways."

It was getting rather late with all their talking, but it was a Thursday night, which meant Joyce didn't need to be in the office till eight. She yawned slightly, she didn't want to end the night talking about work. " Enough talk of work. We'll have plenty of time for that later. Tell me more about yoy. What do you like to do for fun? How close are you and your brother? The good stuff in the story of what makes you, you," she smiled. Joyce really did want to know more about Diego. He was a guy with a good heart, practically a unicorn Co side ring what he does for a living

"DC and Marvel have a lot of surprising stuff that ain't mainstream, Constantine beign a big one," Diego said before raising his eyebrow at her in regards to the whole 'gritty and dark' thing. "Not necessarily. The dark gritty stuff has its charm, but it is not fun to write and after spending more than a decade of deconstructing comic book tropes, I think we need to go back to why people loved comics in the first place. Besides, Vertigo is owned by DC now and they're planning one or two thinga with it like Preacher," Diego mentioned before he jokingly shuddered. He liked Vertigo, even having the pleasure of reading Daytripper, but Garth Ennis rubbed him the wrong way.

He had a thinking pose when she asked him about himself. Her smile made him smile back. He scooted a bit closer to her. "Well I like reading, usually fiction like graphic novels more than mroe realistic stuff most of the time. Watching and analyzing tv shows are fun like Psych, cartoons and whatnot. Surfing the net was something I've done since I was a kid. Besides that, I didn't do much since I was in university. I would go out every now and then for coffee or to the bookstore or such. I would still draw and such, but I was never really able to go out and do things like dating and such," he confessed as smile lowered a bit.

"As for my brother... that's something complicated," Diego said as he leaned back, in serious thought. "Alike in some ways and different in others. We're both driven guys. We're fueled by our determination and we're stubborn as heck. We also don't like admitting we're wrogn and we'll move heaven and hell if our loved ones are in danger or pain," he said as he crossed his arms. "Aside from that, we're different. The brawn to the brain. The cool rebel to the nerdy scholar. The practicalist to the philosopher. We've stood on opposing issues alot of times. I wasn't always the ebst older brother, especially with how I was dealing with my issues growing up. I shut him out often. Sebastian has grown into his own man and doing well. We talk every so often and we understand each other often more than our parents do, but at the same time, there is always something mysterious to him in the same vein there is for me at times," he confessed.

"Blah," she remarked to his comment. They would figure it out. As well as superheroes there were some other story lines out there that people would love to see made into movies and TV shows. That would be something for them to work on in the coming future. Even if it was a production that Diego didn't want to pick up, he would know other people who might be willing.

Growing up in a larger family, it was always important for Joyce to date men who was close to their famikies. She held a firm belief that how a man treated his family had a lot to do without he was going to treat her. She always seemed to be attracted to a certain kind of guy, usually the clean cut professional. For most of them they weren't close to their family, on top of whatever else was wrong with them, and that was always enough for Joy to cut the cord.

"I'm really stubborn too, I can see us potentially butting heads. As long as it's nothing trivial, like leaving the cap off the toothpaste," she half joked. If they ever fought abiut something so small, she would be so mad at herself. " There's nothing wrong with nerds. I heard they make the best boyfriends, I've just yet to date one. Too busy to date. You can be my experiment.

My brothers and I are pretty close, I'm closer to others than some, but we all love and respect each other. I'm the second oldest, I'm probably the closest to my older brother. He was destined to take WebWatch decided to become a chef. And he is working up the ranks to become an executive chef. My youngest brother is fourteen, he's and Oopsie baby. He sometimes stay here, he's a hot head and sometimes he fights with my parents. I told them they should have spanked him."

"I try not to let the little things bother me. It's not worth it. I can debate for fun though, I blame my dad for that," Diego said with a smile before smirking at her comment on nerd. "Well I can safely say you've got someone special and I have someone even more special," he said to her before he ehard her talk about her brothers.

"Good luck to him on that! My brother worked in the restaurant business waiting tables and being a host. Dude was an acting host when he was 17," Diego noted. His brother was an absolute charmer; he had a way with people on how he could make them feel good and comforted about themselves. Ironically enough, he could only connect with a few on a close level, something which was made worse when he lost his best friend in a car accident. Furthermore, Diego was clsoer to his parents than Sebastian was. Sebas was like their dad so they butted heads and he could be insenstive to their mom, though Diego notes he probably got the lack of consideration when it came to feelings from her.

"I'll try not to get into a fight with him. Maybe I can talk some sense into him," Diego offered when she spoke of her youngest brother.

He scooted in closer before looking at her with a smile. "We have a crazy week and a crazier week ahead of us, but I'm looking forward to it.

"Little brothers, you got to love them. Mine is just so spoiled that he just tries to do whatever he wants. He doesn't listen to the rest of us, but maybe he'll listen to someone outside of the group," she would only hope he would. He had yet to disrespect her in her house, but if her and Diego really were going to add kids to the equation anytime soon she was going to have to get strict on him.

By now, their thighs were touching the only way they could get any closer would to be by being on top of one another, but Joyce was trying to take it slow. There was a little need to rush in, they needed to appear like a natural acting couple by the time they started telling people. Her mother especially would pick up on that something was wrong. That, and people would automatically judge their relationship based off WebWatch taking Blockbuster under its wing.

"I'm here for you," Diego said simply, enjoying their closeness together. His own yonger brother was sometimes pretty disrespectful as well, that's one of the reason he and his brother would butt heads alot. "Our kids would have alot of crazy uncles and aunts," Diego said. "I consider my close friends family," he said with a smile.

He then saw that she looked a bit worried and he would wonder why. "What's bothering you?" Diego asked her, looking at her with concern. "Anything I can do to help?"

Joyce had the tendency to wear her emotions on her face, making her a terrible liar. She was incapable of hiding any secret. "I too consider my closest friends my sisters, they're the closest I would ever get. I know they'll like you, one might have some difficulty but she's shallow with standards set miles too high. Just thinking of them made me start to think of what other people are going to say about us, mainly our family and friends, but other people too. We can't stay out of the press forever, not with you just hanging me over a company," neither of them had really thought this far.

Joyce was always one to use her head, plan things out, but somehow Diego just slipped his way into her life. Most people weren't going to accept that answer, but it wasn't as if they could tell people what really happened, they would be a laughing stock to all of their peers.

"My friends just want me to be happy with who I will be and they know me that I tend to crazy stuff about this," Diego explained to her before thinking about the press. Diego bit his lip before he grabbed her hand and gave it a comforting squeeze. He gave her a reassuring smile.

"I was never that close with the press. I let myself fade into the background and let things go back. I was never big for publicity events. If we play our cards, we could do this and only our loved ones would know of the wedding. For everthing wrong with mainstrain media, I can appreciate how one can be just a bit smart in order to avoid dealing with them. I'm here for you and we'll make it through together," he said with confidence.

Diego's smile was reassuring to Joyce, she could feel this warmth spreading through her chest as she gazed upon his smile. He was cuter than anyone should be. " I'll let you handle that, and if you don't mind I want a small wedding, seventy five people or so. Just our closest family and friends and any extended family that can get here. I think that's pretty good.

I'm pretty good at party planning, with my mother's help I can get it done pretty darn fast," she yawned again. "I've had fun, but I think it's time for bed."

"Yeah, that'll be alot of fun. Maybe we can even do something fun to mess with the invitiees," Diego said to her. A small wedding with the people closest to them. While they could probably afford something big, it was best to save up for the future.

"I can help too. We can probably do something that can be unorthodox," Diego said with a smirk before he yawned with Joyce. He nodded and shut the TV down. He went and washed thier plates for them before he went up to their rooms. "Good night," he said as he hugged Joyce and went to his room.

The room felt oddly empty for some reason he thought as he went to bed.

It was a week later and Joyce was frantically moving things around the dining room to make sure that everything was perfect. All of her side dishes were being kept worm and she was pulling a ham out of the oven. There wasn't anything her mother loved more than a neat and well put together place, and she hoped that she would be impressed. The house being clean and the food being good would be enough to get her mother in a good mood. Her mother would be the one who's opinion who really mattered, the boys would get over it pretty easily. Her father wouldn't prove to be much of a hurdle either, he just wanted her to be happy.

She could hear the doorbell ring, and she knew it would be her mother, father, and youngest brother Joseph. "Diego," she called as she smoothed the wrinkles from her dress. She couldn't have planned the night better.

Her parents tended to arrive earlier than the meeting time, all the time. It had been almost three weeks since they had seen each other in person, so there were plenty of hugs to go around. Behind her came her older brother Derrick and his wife holding their first child. The three middle brothers had the tendency to be late, and now they all roomed together at an apartment near the local state university.

There were curious glances at Diego as they sat in the living room waiting for the last three. Joyce had introduced him as her boyfriend, not wanting to let the news out before everyone was there. Her brothers and father asked the typical questions," What are your intentions? What projects do you have going on? What's your family like? Do you want kids," all the typical stuff. Her mother just listened.

As the doorbell ringed that it was her brother's she motioned for Diego to answer as she set the food out on the table.

Diego was helpng out Joyce as best as he could. He helped organize the entire living space and made sure everything would be good. He was wearing good looking attire; Diego was wearing a red dress shirt with a good black tie with black dress pants and black dress shoes he polished himself. Many things Diego was and one of them was a gentleman.

He opened the door and greeted his future in-laws politely and formally. Diego felt a little embarrassed as they all looked at him. Of course, he was bombarded with questions about everything and he answered them truthfully. His intentions was on developing his relationship with Joyce further and creating his happiness so he could share it with her. His projects were on developing shows based on comic books to help inspire others such as a Wonder Woman animated series, a Ghost Rider show and a potential live-action Static Shock series.

He explained that his family was warm and inviting and wanted to meet them. Talking about kids, he smiled and agreed. He wanted to be a family man since he was a child. Diego excused himself politely to open the door for Joyce's brothers and politely let them in.

The young ones had the tendency to be rude despite their upbringing. They were really kind biys, but no one came to dinner expecting a man to be at the house. Joyce had always been to busy to date, and the few time she had, it went badly, so she hadn't been dating around. " Yo, Joy you got this Mexican boy answering your door."

"Whom might you be sir," another one asked as they crowed in the foyer.

Joyce came out the kitchen, wooden spoon in hand, and hitter than hell that they would insult Diego. "First off he has a name, its Diego. Second, I don't know who you think you talking to in my house like that, " they all got slaps to the back of the neck. "Come on. We were waiting for ya'll so we could go on and eat dinner.
Head to the dining room before I use this spoon on your behinds."

Again she smooth out the creases in the black dress she wore. It was a lacey shift dress, shaped like a tank top up top, and it flowed to just above her knees. Since it was family of course there was no need for make up and she wore her curly coils in a bun. "I'm so sorry that my brother can be a little rude. They go to a pretty good school, yet they lack the decorum they need when faced with something out of their control. "

She gathered the others from the living room, so they could sit, pray, and begin eating.

Diego raised his eyebrow as he looked at them, but didn't say anything as he let them in. Diego was surprised by how Joyce defended him. He then got on a grateful smile. It was rare for people to stick up for him that wasn't family. All in all, it felt wonderful. He was impressed they could tell he was Mexican. Some told him he was too pale or for other Hispanics, they say he looked Argentinian. It was to be expected; his mother was pretty white-looking, a result of some of the Spanish blood she had in her. However, neither Diego nor her looked white.

"Don't worry about it. I studied in Atlanta for four years and dealt with my share of folk like that," Diego told her with a smile before he sat down, prayed with them and began eating. Diego awaited any potential questions or things aimed at him.

Her father kept staring at Diego and Joyce was trying her beat to draw her parents into the conversation so that her sad would leave Diego alone. His state was very intimidating, she had gave in to the stare many times in her life. " I didn't know that you guys knew each other, that well. Did you guys talk after meeting or something," his brow was furrowed, meaning he was trying to figure things out still.

"We started talking a lot. First it was all business, Diego was interested in putting together a superhero show for WebWatch. Gradually the personal would mix in and then he decided to ask me out," she turned to Diego with a sweet smile as she reached out for his hand.

"I got a question for you,"Derrick had asked a few questions, none that were controversial. "My family is pretty open to people who are different. People of different rave, cultures, religions, and all the what have yous. For the most part, here in California there is less racial tension, but how do your parents feel about you dating a black girl? I have to ask, since you guys seem to be pretty serious."

"I think I like you," it was the first time her mother had addressed him. " You seem kind, smart, well put together, you didn't gawk when we prayed, and my Joy over their has been smiling quite a bit," the statement was enough to make Joyce 's cheeks heat up. That only made her mother's smile grow. Her parents have never like anyone she brought home, mainly because they thought she deserved better. They usually ended up being right.

Diego faced Derrick and smiled. "I grew in Cumming, GA. My dad's coworkers were intially worried because it was a former Klan site, but he didn't care. I grew up surrounded by different types of people and it stayed the same when I studied in Atlanta. To us, it didn't matter where you come from, just the type of person you are," Diego explained to him. "I never really got too much flack as a Mexican-American, but then again, the other kids tended to leave me alone in general, including the other Latinos," he added.

Once he finished explaining himself to Derrick, he then turned to face Joyce's mother. "Well thank you much. And I can see that Joyce is a wonderful, intelligent and strong woman because of the loving support ofher family, most of all another strong woman like yourself, " Diego said to her. Looking at Joyce's smile made him smile back.

He was taking every question like a pro, you could see the stumped look on some of her brothers' face. The others just watched the interaction between their sister and her beau.

Soon they were finished with dinner and Joyce brought out the caramel cake that she had work hard on for so ling. Her grandma used to make it all the time, because it had been her grandfather's favorite. Anyone who didn't like it, came to like it over time. She cut everyone a sliced, poured some desert wine, everyone was fully enjoying the evening.

"I would like to make an announcment. So the reason for this dinner, beside the fact I live and miss you guys, is to share some exciting new. Diego and I have been dating for a while, but we decided that were ready. We want to get married," she waited for a response.

Diego was enjoying the caramel cake that Joy brought up. He normally wasn't a big fan of caramel, but there was something about the cake which made it exceptional. It stood out nicely. However, beyond that, it was made with love, something Diego could taste and it warmed his heart considerably.

Diego smiled as he looked up to Joy and held her hand as Joy made the announcement. "We want you to be here so we can tell you in person," Diego said to them with a smile. He looked at Joy with an understanding smile.

Everyone looked kind of shocked, and Joyce knew it was because this was unlike her. She liked everything planned to a T, and she always brought the guy she was dating over for a dinner. Even if she knew there was a chance that none of them would like him.

Her sister in law, Kelly, was the first to smile and congratulate her. She had only been in their family for five years, but she fit in a long with the family quite fine. After her, the rest started to follow, though some people, her parents, wore looks of concerns on their faces. They didn't know whether this was an impulsive action that would come back to bit her in the butt or not. " I see you don't have a ring yet. I wish I would have met you before, Diego. Joyce picked out my ring, it would have been lovely to return the favor after she did such a good job for me."

There was more wine and cake to go around, they talked about meeting Diego's parents and setting dates. And as predicted, her mother talked of an engagement party. Her mother was already making big plans for them, and that scared her a little.

Diego held Joyce's hand as he awaited their reaction. He smiled and accepted the thanks from Kelly and the rest of the family before he noticed the looks of concern on Joyce's parents. Before he could try and talk to them privately however, they began talking about meeting his parents and setting date.

Diego planned for them to meet his parents and for potential dates. While Joyce's mother was making plans, he asked for a private audience with them. Diego gave a reassuring smile to Joyce before going off. "I did not mean to interrupt your plan, ma'am. However, Jouce seemed to be a little overwhelmed by the plans you were developing and we were planning on keeping the party small. However, that wasn't why I asked for a private audience. I noticed you both looked concern by our course of action and I wanted to know if there was any way I could reassure you while also asking for your blessings," Diego said to them.

Joyce was worried when she saw Diego on front her parents. While he talked to her parents, her siblings all looked at her wondering what she was doing. " I just want you guys to be happy for me, I think I can I'll be really happy with him," she couldn't wipe the smile from her. The truth was that she really saw herself being happy with him. They go pretty well together.

Her parents were shocked by his fowardness, but they both saw how deeply committed he was to their daughter and it warmed their hearts. "You don't have to say anything, else," her father laid a heavy hand on his shoulder. "I look forward to getting to know you Diego."

Her mother sighed not because she disapproved. " God blessed me with one daughter. One completely worth of having a beautiful big wedding, and she doesn't want it. I guess we can do a smaller wedding, 200 people isn't so bad," she was already making a mental list.

With all her siblings on her side, she seeked out her parents and Diego. " Are we all on one page," she slid her hands in Diego's.

Diego smiled and nodded at her father before he looked at his soon-to-be mother-in-law. "It's not about the size or the expense for the wedding. It's about celeberating the union with the people you care about most there," Diego noted with a smile before he saw Joyce return.

"Yeah, looks like it. I think your mom is really looking forward for planning our wedding," Diego said with a humorous yet light-hearted smile as he ave an affectionate light squeeze of her hand

Glancing between them Joy didn't see anything wrong, so she relaxed just shaking her head. They were getting g along and she didn't want to say anything to change that. It w a time to kick everyone out, she had work in the morning. On top of the fact she didn't want anyone to change their opinions on Diego. Right now it was nothing but positive things.

There were plenty of hugs and kisses for the newly engaged couple as everyone left. The whole saying goodbye process took about twenty minutes. Which was longer than it should have, but everyone had something to say.

It wouldn't take long for dishes, and then bed time.

Diego gave his share of hugs and good-byes as it was time for everyone to go. Joy had work in the morning and he had to finish transfering everything to her as smoothly as he could. Everthing had been smooth and subtle so far, with no one outside the companies knowing. It'd been easy with Diego since there were no stock-holders so he didn't answer to anyone. Well, except his wife now.

He had hired some of his old college friends to help develop a program for Blockbuster to offer the new WebWatch membership among with different packages. On the meanwhile, he also instated new policies to help with the distribution of indie films, even talking with a few planners on how to reogranize Blockbusters for an indie section. It had been a long week, but things were looking good.

Diego helped Joy clean the dishes, but paused. "Um Joy. I was wondering... now that we told your parents and gonna tell mine, could we try sleeping in the same bed? So we can get used to it," Diego asked. He had a smile, but he also looked a bit shy in asking.

" I would like that. It was really cold last night, I could have really used your body heat. You have to at least wear boxers. I don't know what you sleep in so I felt the need to put it out there," Joyce couldn't believe that she had agreed to sleeping in the same bed as Diego.

A small part of her was excited by the idea. Over the last few days, she formed a slight crush on him. She would never admit it to his face, but she knew there were moments when she would act awkward around him. She just hoped he was oblivious enough not to notice.

"Give me about ten minutes to do my night routine and get dress," she ran off to her room. She turned down the fluffy purple sheet of her bed, and quickly hung up her dress. She changed into a gray tank top and black cotton shorts. She started to wash her face and brush her teeth.

Back
Top Bottom