Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Who's in Charge? (Ren Olvry & HeyThereLittleBear)

Ren Olvry

Supernova
'Lesser species', they called him and those scattered few like him... Mal begged to disagree. Better senses, higher than average strength, and they dared call his kin the 'lesser species'. To shackle them, contain them, use them to their own silly little whims so they themselves could be that much lazier. Then there was him, a subject of such whims sometime in the past before he'd broken free, and... well, he knew well enough of his reputation as a 'pirate'.

A pirate now left with quite little, mind... something he was supposed to be taking care of, if things had worked out that way. Fair to say, given his current situation, they hadn't. It was a given that he'd be spotted, considering his unique appearance and the fact that he stood a few inches above six feet to boot. The somewhat discolored, probably once tan jacket and cargo pants as well were something of a signature for him; practically even a celebrity, if one were to judge by some of the reactions around him. Hah. They could stare all they wanted, for all he cared, but when some of them started to signal the local law enforcement... well, that was something of an issue. Muttering a little to himself when he heard the telltale blare of the alarms littered here and there throughout the largely metallic city that didn't hesitate to show off the technological advancements of the last century or so, Mal nonetheless didn't start running... not immediately. That would give these people too much credit!

"So much for getting a new ship for myself..." the canine muttered in annoyance. "Well... that'll do," he added as an afterthought, mostly for his own benefit. Finishing soon enough with his thoughts as the well-armored law enforcement agents started to approach, the pirate suddenly darted off in his chosen direction, muttering slightly again as he passed some of the law enforcers. Momentarily stumbling slightly, he kept running all the same, in spite of some extra electric shock running through his system and his leg taking a fine bash on the way past.

He recalled seeing a relatively small ship a little ways off... heading in that direction would just have to work, and he'd figure things out from there. At best, perhaps the pilot would be there... at worst, perhaps it would be something he could force his way into just the same. With the law enforcers readily on his tail -- not quite literally, thankfully -- he didn't exactly have many other immediate options. One way or another, he'd just have to make it his new ship.

With their business done, the crew of the ship had been spending their time enjoying being docked, partially because they got to partake in the brothels that lined the streets and ease their lonely... "Hearts", but also because it meant they were free from the tyranny of their captain. Though the business was run well, it was run very efficiently by a captain whose name was known throughout their business. Nina had made a name for herself among the smugglers and the pirates, had carved a niche where previously no woman had dared to go. She was in the business of stolen goods, playing the part of a fence and selling whatever wares she could get a hold of.

Of course, most of her times were spent in the skies, where she truly belonged. She had been a part of a ship since she was a young girl, had learned to sail before she could write, and had known how to rule before she'd had her first bleed. It was in her veins to be a captain, and the job suited her well. It was not the life that most women chose. She didn't date, was often alone, and spent her time surrounded by men that were too intimidated to bed her. In fact, no man had ever had the gall to bed her.

That suited her fine. She watched from the main deck of her ship as her men boarded once again, some so drunk that they clung to the ropes like children and others reeking so high of cheap perfume that she could do nothing but turn her nose. The last of the stragglers were making their way back to their lonely quarters when a canine came through the crowd. Nina's eyes narrowed, following his beeline to her ship. Her ship. The gall of that dog. Her rose petal lips took on a frown and it was then that she was her most intimidating. It wouldn't do to have a stow away, much less one that brought cops to her quiet little operation.

She permitted him to board, but that was the end of his exploration. Rather than let him descend below deck, she put an end to it, stepping out in front of him and effectively blocking his way. "Who do you think you are to board my ship?" Her hands were on the hips of her tight brown breeches, her shoulders back to look more authoritative. In all honesty, all it did was accent her breasts in her off-white shirt. "No man boards my ship without working... So tell me. Do you want to work and get away from the cops? Or do you want to rot in jail?"

Hm... clean passage, of all things, at least initially. Was he to be suspicious, or...? Sure, the fact was that he'd apparently chosen surprisingly opportune timing, coming along right as (he assumed) the last of the crew was re-boarding, but that only said so much. If one were watchful, they could just as well have easily blocked him off if they wanted to... or tried. Or perhaps whoever ultimately ran the ship was in the same sort of drunken, out of it state that the rest seemed to be? Now wouldn't that be fortunate.

But then, 'fortunate' was not a word commonly associated with this particular canine. No, instead it seemed his being permitted on board was plenty willful, and by a female, no less, who appeared to be in much better state than her crew at the moment. Presuming of course it was her crew... rumors abound, though.

"Hmm... so you say. But it seems to me that a much better idea would be to get moving, and pretty quickly. Sure, they may be after me right now, but I feel like I'm not the only one with a certain... reputation behind them," Mal spoke with somewhat of an arrogant smirk crossing his features. Between that, and the fact that he stood a decent bit taller than the woman herself, and her crew was in a rather sorry state at present to boot... it would be fair to say that the canine didn't appear to be the slightest bit intimidated. If he was anything, he was merely amused... and perhaps slightly impatient, if part of the expression in his eyes were any indication. As of yet, however, he'd not taken a further step, merely pausing there a short distance from the woman.

"And besides that, I'm already here. Do you really think that if they get me, I won't be dragging you down with me? Because believe me when I say, I'm not that nice, even when it comes to a rather attractive woman," he added, perhaps only serving to add to the mild arrogance presently radiating off of him. "If it's work you want, though, I'll be more than happy to help you get this ship pretty quickly off the ground. I get the feeling the rest of your crew isn't going to be of much use for that right now," he offered, tilting his head slightly to the side as he awaited her answer.

That annoying little fuck. She couldn't help but feel anger rise in the pit of her belly like a snake ready to strike, her teeth clenching. "Just who the hell do you think ya are?" She demanded, casting a cautious glance in the direction of the sirens. Nina moved her hands from her hips to crossing them over her chest, quirking her brow at the arrogant, cocky pup. He would have to be taught an important lesson of respect, especially if she was going to be harboring him here.

Either way, they couldn't stay docked much longer. Though the hull was empty of stolen goods, her reputation was well known for being a fence and it wouldn't take the investigators long to figure out that she was "Queen Nina of the Maryanne". She was disgusted with herself, but she let him pass and continue to board her ship, yanking the chain that would bring the boarding plank back on deck.

"Listen here, pup. You can stay but you work to make your keep. You want to eat, you do your duty. Now get your ass on deck." She was even more cocky than him, slapping his ass, "Go! Or I'll throw you to the coppers and never look back." She made her way to the deck, where the few sober men had started to rush the preparations for pulling away. Nina was in her zone now, her attention on the boy gone.

"Get the lead out your asses, men! Gettin' your dick wet doesn't turn it to a pussy! Put your back into it!" Orders were barked, the smile on her face showing that she enjoyed the power she had over them more than anything else. They obeyed, sometimes grudgingly, but they obeyed. Her deck, though poorly staffed due to the effects of alcohol, was well manged. Once the men got into their old groove, she took her time to watch her new "recruit," smiling softly to herself.

Oh yes, she had an idea in mind for him. Plenty of ideas, really.

Who? He was someone who habitually got his way, if he were to answer... though the non-changing expression probably served just as well to provide such an answer. And right now, it was easy for Mal to tell that he would be getting his way, at least for now. He rather doubted the woman wanted to go down, and certainly he himself was going to remain true to his threat to see that happen if she didn't get him out of here. After that... he supposed he'd have to figure things out, since this particular point of influence he had over the situation was only going to last for so long... and he didn't doubt the woman knew just that, or would quickly come to that realization.

So with that smirk lingering on his features, he stepped by when the woman allowed him to, before blinking in surprise at the sudden slap to his rear, his eyes curiously glancing back to the woman. "If you say so... expect things to be up and running shortly so we can get out of here, oh Captain," the canine offered with an ever so slight bow. Not bothering to move quickly just yet, he instead let his eyes wander a little, over some of the workings of the ship, over the current, actual crew.

Drunken sods were going to mess things up if he let them... well then, to work, he supposed. Suddenly starting to move quickly, he occasionally shoved someone out of the way, making sure himself more than anyone else to have things geared up so they could leave soon enough. He wasn't interested in being dropped in some prison again that soon, and if it came to taking care of a ship alone? Well, he could handle that.

"All's good, Captain; choose the destination and we can get outta this boring old place. Ah... and name's Mal, for any of you folks that actually manage to not know of me at all," he spoke, bringing a few fingers up for a small salute. With that done, he casually walked up near Nina herself, tilting his head slightly as he cast his gaze to her. "So where to, then? And I hope you don't plan to have me bunk with this lot... not unless you want me to be sick all day tomorrow from the smell."

Though she didn't like him much for his personality, there was much he made up for in hard work and dedication. Nina was impressed to see him hold his own among her ragtag crew of misfits. He fit in nicer than anyone else had and frankly seemed to be built for this line of work. She let a small smile creep onto her lips but reigned her silent approval of him back in quickly.

Even though he was an efficient worker, he was still a creature that was of lesser breeding. His kind, though physically stronger and faster than humans, were never to be seen as equals. They were made from a bastardized person from science. It was a miracle that they had flourished.

"We sail to Port Dominica. We have a supplier there with a load of goods that is worth the ship's weight in gold." Just the thought of their next haul was enough to make her insides quiver, not just because of the payout at the end of the deal but also because of the risks they were taking to get it. Port Dominica, while a thriving community of cutthroat scavengers, was a Mecca for bounty hunters.

She was presented with a tough decision with Mal's objection to bunking with the rest of the crew, a plan forming in her mind. He was a good deck hand, but she could use him elsewhere. "You will bunk in the Captain's quarters with me. Unless you're frightened of a woman." she teased, smirking.

"Hah... that old place, huh? Roger that," Mal offered with another small salute of his own personal style, of sorts. If his unconcerned expression and the way he continued to hold himself were any indication, he didn't seem to have any worry in the world, even knowing what that place could be like. Instead, he merely glanced around a little bit more, taking in the crew and ship just that much further and mentally working out what little adjustments would need to be made to start toward the destination. That they were rising up into the air was plenty welcome as it was; by the time those law enforcers could get their own rears to a ship of their own to try and follow, it would already be too late, he was certain.

The woman's next comment, though, had him blink in mild surprise, a very slight smirk curling up the corners of his lips. "Me? It's usually the women themselves that're afraid. I hardly have to tell you how folks like me are seen... though I do wonder what that crew of yours might think of the new guy gaining such favor from the Captain so early..." he suggested. "For now, though... back to work for me, I suppose. I'll be looking forward to later, dear Captain... I'm sure it'll be an... interesting time for both of us," he added.

Starting to move again from there, he seemed to make a special point of passing by the woman, his tail brushing momentarily against one of her legs. Looking at the rest of the crew... he doubted they'd dare try anything with their Captain herself, the bunch of cowards. Never mind his apparent intent to do everything himself if need be to get the ship set off in the right direction, more than once moving one of the, he didn't doubt, more and more agitated crewmen out of the way. Their Captain might have technically been in charge, sure, but for all intents and purposes, so did he seem to be... and it wasn't something he was planning on readily giving up.

"You lot, go back to sleep or something. Come back when you're rested, not drunk, and can be of some use, hm?" he finally spoke up with a slight growl. "It'll be a while before we get to our destination anyway, and I dare say I need to... earn my keep, shall we say."

Back
Top Bottom