Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Blindsided [sharpiie love & Thereisalight]

Chloe

"Oh come on, stop fighting this. He's nothing like Jeremy."

Chloe's hazel eyes blazed at the name of her ex-fiance but she bit her tongue against saying anything about this friend of a friend that would anger her best friend. Allison was sitting on Chloe's bed flipping through her phone as she waited for the brunette to choose an outfit for a date that she didn't want to be going on in the first place. "Are you sure? You said he's divorced. How do I know it's not his fault?" That was the biggest piece of information sticking in the woman's head as she ran over the few facts she knew about her date. His name was Conor, he was in his thirties, he was divorced. She also knew that he was a business man and a philanthropist. Which all sounded well and fine on paper but it didn't tell her a single thing about the man. She'd also been told that he had good intentions. She'd actually laughed out loud when she'd heard that line. Good intentions. People used to say that Ted Bundy was a nice guy too. Shivering at the thought that the man she was meeting later that night was a serial killer, Chloe dug around in her closet with new vigor.

"Oh stop trying to find the ugliest thing you own. He's hot. Worst case - you have dinner with a really good looking guy. At least try to look decent."

Rolling her shoulders, she took a deep breath and finally grabbed a dress off the hanger. This would have to do. She was going to run out of time if she continued trying to find the perfect dress. Laying the dress on the bed she quirked a brow at Allison to get her opinion on the dress. "I'm going to go take a shower. If it's not good enough then you can go find a dress. I give up." Padding off to the en suite bathroom the woman undressed and moved under the hot spray of the shower, the water doing little to calm her nerves. She wasn't really nervous that he was going to end up being a serial killer. She was more or less nervous because it would be the first time she'd ever been on a blind date and it would be the first time she'd gone on a real date since she'd broken things off with her fiance six months prior.

Nearly three hours later she was finally ready, dressed and makeup and hair finished. Stepping into the entry of her apartment she took a last minute to check herself over. Her light brown hair fell down to near mid back when it was natural but she'd curled it so that her natural waves were more pronounced and fell over her left shoulder. She'd tried to bobby pin her bangs out of her face but some wispy curls had already managed to fall around her ears. Her makeup was subtle, she rarely went in for heavy makeup but she'd completed a soft smoky eye with a mauve lipstick to complete the look. The most important part of her attire though was of course the dress she'd chosen to wear. A bright white dress that hugged her curves and fell to mid-thigh, one shoulder bare and the other flowing into a sheer white puffy sleeve, a cuff holding it in place at her wrist. The white of the dress showed off her tan nicely though she rarely looked tan unless she was wearing white. She'd paired it with a pair of white strappy heels and called it good enough. She had spent the majority of her time looking for the perfect dress because she tended to be a bit old-fashioned in her choices, a big lover of lace and pearls.

When she was sure that she was ready she grabbed her clutch and headed out the door to the restaurant, hoping that she was going to be the later one because she doubted she was going to have the gumption to stay there if he hadn't showed up yet. Unfortunately for her she did end up being the first one to show up to the fancy restaurant where her friends had told her to meet the mystery man. "Hi I am supposed to be meeting someone here tonight but I don't think he's here yet. Could you tell him I've already arrived when he shows up?" Her voice was soft and feminine as she spoke with the hostess standing at the podium taking couples' names. "Of course, ma'am," Chloe flinched at the word, nearly telling the woman she wasn't nearly old enough to be considered a ma'am. "What name shall I put down?"

"Chloe," she finally answered before being seated at her table. She wasn't sure if her friends had picked out the restaurant or if Conor had, all they'd told her was where and when to show up, but there had already been a reservation under both of their names as they were very specific about the table they led her to. It was situated into a corner far enough away from the bathroom that it would give them privacy but also far enough away from the stage so they would be able to speak to one another without yelling. Ordering a white wine as she waited she'd laughed to herself when the server had seated her so that her back was to the wall. She knew most men usually wished to be seated there to watch the crowd but that was exactly the reason why she'd always made it known she wouldn't sit with her back to the restaurant. When one had a habit of falling for men with wandering eyes they learned to limit their date's exposure to others whilst on the date. Now she just had to wait - and breathe - until Conor got there and she could get past the idea that she was going to be stood up by a complete stranger.

That was just the kind of luck she had.

Looking up from where her eyes had been trained on the liquid in her glass, Chloe hoped her shock didn't show on her face as those same eyes dragged up to the man's face. She'd been told he was good looking, but based on many of the celebrity crushes her friends had she didn't think what they considered attractive would even be in the same ball park as what she considered attractive. Yet as her eyes danced over his face, she could actually feel that crooked smile drawing her in.

"They didn't tell me you were a father," she said as she offered her own smile back to him. "How old is your daughter?" Chloe had always liked kids she just want sure if she wanted them. The idea of not only being in charge of someone's safety, but being in charge of teaching someone how to be a functioning member of society scared the crap out of her.

Setting her wine down on the table she tried to straighten in her seat, something nearly impossible as she already had extremely good posture. It was hard to figure out how to act around a complete stranger when your friends were banking on you hitting it off. Almost as if you were being forced to enjoy the time together. The stress of it all was going to drive her insane. "I'm really nervous," she admitted, hoping that he - Conor - wouldn't think her weak for admitting it to. If he was the type of man to be late for dinner because he was busy saying goodnight to his daughter she doubted he would be the kind of man who would look down on someone for admitting to a weakness.

Back
Top Bottom