Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

His Greatest Treasure (Crusade & darkangel76)

darkangel76

.:The Vampiric Fae:.
Supporter
The air felt nice against Emma's face as she walked up the sidewalk, brown leather boots clicking against pavement as she headed towards her place of recent escape. She didn't know why she hadn't decided to take walks in the park sooner. Perhaps it was because she'd never really thought about taking them in the evening. During the day, it was always riddled with overbearing parents watching over their children as they ran through the adjacent field or the die-hard walkers who huffed and puffed the paths and gave you an angry look if you dared to get in their way. But when the sky grew soft with streaks of purple and orange, the moon peeking its hello while the stars just began to wink down upon everyone...that was when the park was perfect.

Quiet...calm...peaceful.

Emma brushed a hand through soft blonde curls and pushed them over her shoulder so that she could tug at the collar of her dark green jacket as the wind blew a bit harder. Yes, she was getting closer to the pond. She could smell the water and the trees. It wouldn't be long. Taking her iphone out of her pocket, she dared to check the time—7:05pm. And already the sky was darkening. How she loved the Fall.

Inhaling deeply, Emma drunk in the rich aroma of the turning leaves in all their reds and yellows. It was her favorite time of year. It made her smile. It made her giddy. And most of all, this was the time she found herself the most inspired—something that had been lacking as of late.

Emma had hit a rut lately and, being a writer, that was never any good or fun. She'd been venting her frustrations on her blog, letting anyone who dared to follow a new and hopefully upcoming author know just how hard it could be to write something wonderful for their readers. She only had a handful of dedicated followers. But how she cherished each and every one. And she wouldn't let them down. They would know every step of her journey—the good, the bad...the frustrating. But now that it was Fall and she knew things would take a turn. It always did.

Smiling, Emma's blue eyes caught sight of the tree line of the nearby park. She was glad it was so close to her apartment. Cutting across the street, she headed towards it, knowing it would be full of life and everything her heart desired. Looking up into the sky, she could see that it was still bright enough; the sun had not yet set. She could take a turn about the pond, perhaps walk up the shortest trail and make it home by full nightfall. And that was all she needed.

Content and taking everything in, Emma just walked, following the pond as she made her way about the path. Her jean-clad legs somehow knew the way having walked this path now several times. As she quietly made her way, the sky growing ever darker, she noticed a shadow not far off. There were whispers, giggles. Biting down on her lower lip, she felt her cheeks grow warm and her heart begin to race.

A couple was lingering by the pond, no doubt having fun and thinking they were alone. Slowly, quietly, Emma backed away from the scene, but oh how her mind raced. She imagined what lurid things could happen to a couple lost in the woods. Just then she gasped and the whispers ahead stopped. Panicking, she turned on her heels and ran in the opposite direction.

"Oh oh..." Emma laughed as she headed toward the tree line. Her one hand gripped the edge of her jacket as she ran, while the other raked through her long, blonde hair. Oh, she couldn't stop smiling. Already thoughts were started to swim in her mind. Yes, the ideas were starting to come to her. Her dedicated followers would soon have a story and she'd be the one to tell it to them.

Serial killers aren't always pariahs.

Jacob had heard that plenty on documentaries he'd watched on fellow serial killers. The John Wayne Gacy's of the world were affable, fun loving guys who shocked everyone when their deep, dark secrets were made public. Jacob fell in that category as well. It wasn't that he loved people or being the center of attention, but Jacob had a way with words. He was confident bordering on arrogant. He wasn't the least bit shy or passive. He knew what he wanted and he took it.

Most of those conquests were beautiful women. Jacob had always been handsome, with dark, mysterious eyes women ladies were drawn to and a large, domineering frame. He had broad shoulders and short, immaculately kept hair. He could have been a model if he so chose, but that career path would have done nothing to sate his desires.

Jake had always been inquisitive. When he was young, he was the kid with the magnifying glass frying ants to a crisp. When he got a little older, he mutilated squirrels and rats. He would cut a hole in their gut and pull out their insides. He'd pop their beady eyes out of their sockets and string them up in the basement until the smell of their rotting flesh became too much.

These little quirks never were discovered by his barely present parents. Jacob had friends, but they were more just kids who he didn't despise. He'd go to parties just for the girls, use his good looks and charm and coax them into bed with him. He wasn't much for love even in high school. Instead, he chose to fuck them and forget them. His more violent nature didn't come into play until much later.

His first kill was shortly after his twenty first birthday. Jacob had dropped out of college and lived pretty much as a nomad. He would crash someone's couch, eat their food and then bail without so much as a thank you. His sexual conquests were often a result of this new found lifestyle.

Jacob would meet a girl at a bar or a club in a college town, go home with her, sleep with her and then in the morning he'd leave as if nothing happened. But there was something missing from the equation. That was a thirst that wasn't being quenched. There was a hunger that he couldn't quite get rid of.

When Jacob met Brandy on a hot summer night in a small college town in Illinois, something just clicked. The girl was incredibly attractive, with dark hair, pale blue eyes and the body of a goddess. She was just drunk enough that the thought of letting a complete stranger fuck her and then crash at her place seemed perfectly fine. And Jacob did exactly that.

After he came, Jake washed up. His eyes caught a glimpse of the drying rack with all of the clean dishes on the kitchen counter as he walked through to head back to the bedroom. A knife stood at attention there, almost begging him to grab hold. He grasped it firmly and as he stood alone in the kitchen, he waved it around as if he was fighting some invisible assailant. Despite the fact that he'd just finished having sex, he grew hard again as he thought about plunging the cool blade into Brandy's warm flesh. He reveled in the thought, so much that without any sort of proper planning, he made his way into the room and closed the door behind him.

------------------------

It was almost ten years to the day from the anniversary of that first kill and Jacob was feeling those same pangs of hunger. He was confident he'd found his next target, even though she sort of broke the mold in terms of a woman he'd bother killing. This one, a writer, wasn't exactly the adventurous, party-going type he'd find at a club on a Saturday night. She was different. He'd found some of her musings on a blog he happened upon one particularly boring evening. It wasn't long before he was hooked, reading even the most mundane of her entries.

There was something about the woman he couldn't quite pinpoint. He'd left encouraging comments on her blog, researched her heavily and did enough digging to learn exactly where she was from. He packed up his belongings and moved to a studio apartment in her town. He didn't scour bars and night clubs for his next victim. Instead, he followed Emma wherever she went. A simple trip to the store had him tailing her on foot. He was discreet enough not to draw her attention, but he was always watching. He followed her home one particular night just so he knew which apartment she lived in.

It startled Jacob how extensively he studied Emma and after tailing her to a park on a cool, fall evening, he debated on whether or not he was wasting his time. It'd been over a month since his last victim, an Asian college student named Cho or Chu or something. He hadn't been too particular. But Emma...he knew much more about.

Was it time to confront her? He could easily just bump into her as she walked. He could start up an innocent conversation and then act totally surprised when she revealed who she was. He could tell her how much he enjoys her blog and her writing and surely, she'd give him the time of day. He was a good looking, confident, intelligent man who was showing an interest in what she did. That had to count for something.

Jacob circled the lake and heard the sounds of two lovebirds getting a little frisky as the sun set. He closed his eyes tightly for a moment and balled his fists, imagining beating the guy to a bloody pulp and then fucking his girlfriend while the mangled mess looked on through the blood in his eyes. He'd pull the knife he always kept at his side and chop them into pieces once he was through. He breathed in that cool autumn air and then smoothed down his jacket. His cock was hard and straining inside of his jeans. He needed fresh blood.

Almost forgetting the matter at hand, he caught up to Emma again and decided to hide behind the tree line. He would pop out before she made notice of them and then the two would just bump into one another. Their common interest for walks around the lake at dusk would undoubtedly be a source of conversation and the fact that they had common interests would draw her to him. He knew her type.

Pressing his strong back against one of the tall oaks, he braced himself, palms sweating more than he would have cared to admit. When he heard her footsteps, he shifted his body and whipped around the tree, just in time for his large, imposing body to be standing directly in her path.

Her body crashed against his own, but luckily she was small enough and he was big enough that the impact didn't knock him down. Instead, Jacob stood firm and wrapped his arms around her to keep her from falling back, steadying her before he pulled back a little. He gave her a warm smile and when he looked into her eyes, he felt something. What was it about this woman that enamored him so much?

"Christ. I'm sorry about that. Are you alright?" he asked, laughing it off. "I didn't expect to run into anyone out here like this. I'm usually the only one around when I take my nightly walk," Jacob added, hoping that little bit of information would serve as a talking point. He needed an in with her. He didn't have the help of alcohol, nor did she seem like the type who would just up and drop everything to spend the night with him. He would have to be even more cunning and crafty. This one would be his treasure.

Running, laughing, Emma was ecstatic that ideas were starting to come to her, filling her mind, begging to be written down the moment she got home. The brisk Fall air always did this for her, especially when the sun sunk low on the horizon, just oh how she loved this time of year! As she headed toward the tree line, her blue eyes focusing more on her footing than on what was ahead, she suddenly bumped into something hard.

"Ooofff..." Emma grunted as she stumbled, her knees buckling and legs wobbling beneath her, threatening to throw her entirely off balance. She was going to fall and she braced herself for impact. Only, instead tumbling to the ground, strong arms surrounded her, folding her up in a warmth that shielded her from the wind as it blew a swirl of leaves about her.

Emma looked up, her blonde hair slightly mussed as her cheeks started to heat. She was embarrassed, though grateful her fall had miraculously been prevented. Suddenly, without realizing it, she found herself awkwardly nodding at the stranger's kind words.

"Yes, I'm all right. I-I'm so sorry." Emma blushed deeply, wishing she could somehow hide or rewind time, anything to fix what she'd done to this...her blue eyes looked up into the face of the man who'd stopped her from falling and she felt her tummy flutter. Oh, if that didn't make matters all the worse! Kind and handsome. She bit down on her lower lip, her eyes averting, staring at the ground. Never had she felt so small, so mortified.

Nervously, Emma laughed and tried to straighten out her jacket, though really she wished she could just brush her hair. Oh, what a mess! Just then, she paused. Walks. He takes walks too. Maybe she could divert his attention, he wouldn't notice how embarrassed she was or how awful she looked or...

"Y-you take walks in the evening too?" Emma asked trying not to smile. But it was impossible. The way he looked at her, the fact that he was also apologizing.... "I-I thought I was the only one," she then added. "Well," she continued, her face flushing a deeper shade of pink as she remembered the couple by the pond. "Well, though there are some exceptions." She laughed, her eyes finding his for a brief moment before averting once more. Licking her lips and trying to find some confidence, she held out her hand. "My name is Emma." Once more, she looked up into his eyes, a smile touching her lips as she dared to do something very unusual for her—saying 'hello' to an attractive man, making small talk, reaching out.

Well wasn't this an idea for one of her books. She'd definitely have good news to share on her blog later that night!

Tummy in knots, Emma waited for this man to introduce himself. And how she hoped he didn't see her hand trembling as she held it out for him. If only she was better around people, more confident and sure. If only she could be more like the girls she wrote about. But no matter, at least she was trying. Perhaps it was the park, the weather, the time of day...it was all too perfect to pass up. She couldn't let something go by when she knew if she did, she'd be filled with regret.

Jake wasn't accustomed to women like Emma. There was a refreshing element about the way she went about herself. Her apology was heart felt and she looked truly embarrassed for bumping into him. Had Jake been at a club and he bumped into someone, he would've undoubtedly gotten a 'Fuck you' or a 'Watch where you're going asshole'. When her gaze averted his own, he grinned.

Jake felt alive in that moment. Emma was the type of woman to cleanse his palette after so many carbon copies of women he'd slept with and then subsequently killed. He wanted someone different. He wanted a connection for once instead of the mindless routine he'd fallen into with the others.

"Don't be sorry. It was my fault for assuming I was the only one out here aside from the lovebirds who come out here to...well, I'm sure you heard them, too." Jake tucked his hands into the pockets of his jacket, the wind starting to swirl leaves around. The Fall really was a beautiful time. It was reminiscent of Jake in a way. It was the time when things began to die.

"I do. There's no better time to take walks. There's something about this time of year. The way the air gets a little cooler, the days get a little shorter and the leaves change color. It's inviting. It's just a shame it doesn't last longer. Before you know it, you're going to be bundled in so many layers, you won't hardly be able to move." Jake smiled at Emma, not because of what he'd said, but because of what it brought to his mind. Emma hardly moving.

His mind often wandered to the most graphic and inappropriate thoughts at the worst possible times. Jake was capable of slipping off into a stream of thinking so intense that he could stand there for minutes and not even take note of Emma standing right there in front of him. Instead of letting it get to that point, he briefly thought about Emma's hands bound above her head while he used the blade of the same knife he'd used for his first kill making incisions all over her body, letting her bleed out slowly so he could taste each little cut for himself.

He snapped out of it when he heard Emma introduce herself. He could see it took a lot of effort for a shy woman like Emma to make strides like those and he appreciated it. She was trying to impress him or at the very least engage him and he liked that. He felt himself drawn to her, not only because he wanted to cut her up, but because she was such a breath of fresh air.

"Emma. It's nice meeting you and bumping into you. I'm Jacob. Call me Jake if you'd like." He took her extended hand in his own after fishing it from his pocket. His large hand dwarfed hers. He gave it a gentle squeeze and then reluctantly let go.

"What brings you out here?" he asked, quickly shifting from the introductions so Emma wouldn't dwell on it. He'd noticed the way her hand trembled as she waited for him to take it. "You here so many stories about prowlers lurking in places like this just waiting for someone as vulnerable as yourself. It's a shame it's that way, but it is."

Again, his mind went dark. He reveled in hinting at the fact that he was that man prowling in the shadows, but instead of acting as if he was, he would act like the savior Emma needed. "I like to get away from everything. When I'm out here, nothing else really matters. It's a nice escape. But I'd be lying if I said it doesn't get a little lonely. You know?"

Jake...his name rolled through her mind as her hand was suddenly engulfed in his. Emma felt a sweeping heat course over her skin as their palms connected, flesh against flesh. She bit down on her lower lip, the corners quirking up into a tiny smile. This man was definitely not the sort she was used to encountering any time she dared to venture out. No, this one was charming, sweet...the kind she could see herself laughing with, talking with, taking nightly walks with. Her heart skipped a beat just then as the thought flitted through her head. Just what was she thinking? She was getting carried away...it was the air, the lighting and all the ideas flooding her mind for her stories.

It just had to be. And she needed to get a grip. Fast.

"It's nice to meet you as well, Jake," Emma said, her blue eyes finding Jake's though she was only able to hold his gaze for a brief moment. She ran a hand through her tousled, blonde hair. Her eyes fluttered shut. She'd almost forgotten that her hair had become a mess from the running and near tumble! "I..." she stammered, her embarrassment slowly returning. But she looked up at him once again, his warm smile melting away the nervousness. Just how did he do that?

Emma clasped her hands in front herself, wringing them awkwardly as she let the tension leave her muscles. She wasn't quite sure what it was about this Jake, but she was glad it was him she'd bumped into and not someone else.

"I like taking walks in the evening," Emma then answered Jake's question. She was glad he made it easy for her to talk to him. Normally, she found it so difficult. Sometimes near impossible. "It helps me clear my mind, gain perspective...I..." her voice trailed and she thought about the pond, the lovers and then her writing.

Emma wondered if she dare tell Jake about what she did and aspired to be. Of course, it hadn't become a full time thing as of yet. But, she hoped it would eventually. Most of her bills were paid due to being an assistant at the local library. But her dream, her goal, was to become a full-fledged author. A silly dream, perhaps...but it was her own and she was dedicated and even had her blog in which she was entirely devoted to updating nearly every day.

"I like to write," Emma added, wincing a little. She kicked at the ground with her booted foot, dirt and the crunch of leaves sounding against the soft leather. "It's something I'm striving for." She cleared her throat and tugged on her jacket.

More than anything, Emma hoped she hadn't lost Jake's interest by bringing up her writing. Overall, she knew it wasn't anything much. But knowing she wrote romance? That right there would be enough to turn anyone away. It usually did especially given her looks and demeanor.

"Though I suppose you're right," Emma spoke up, trying to redirect things, change the tone. "There might be prowlers and stalkers lurking about." She then shrugged slightly. "But, it seems safe enough." Her blue eyes met Jake's again. "I live in the apartments right near here and it's been fine. The neighborhood's a good one. I try to stay alert and..." She paused, swallowing hard. "I've just never had anyone else to walk with."

Emma licked her lips, her mouth dry at her bold words. She wondered if it had been a mistake to even hint that it might be nice to have someone to walk with. Ugh! This wasn't one of her novels! This was reality! She really needed to get her head out of the clouds.

Averting her gaze, Emma feared the worst. She just stood there quietly and listened to Jake speak. Why he hadn't sauntered off to let her be alone in all her misery was a wonder!

Nodding, Emma hugged her arms about herself. "Yes. It...it does get lonely." Her cheeks felt hot and she figured she'd more than blown any chance of anything with this kind man who'd spared her a moment of his time. She looked at him and smiled. "Maybe that's why I write," she stated. "It helps." She laughed a little. "I have a blog too," she continued, unsure as to why. "Entirely Emma."

Emma waved her hands in a grand gesture, laughing a bit as she did. Once more that nervousness seemed to ebb away. Was it the way Jake watched her or seemed to listen? Was it the fact that he hadn't excused himself? She hardly knew, but she suddenly felt like sharing, like finding out if such things would make him think differently of her, would they change the opinions that were slowly forming in his mind. Or, maybe he was just too sweet and charming to hit her with the truth. Either way, she appreciated his behavior.

"I update my readers all about my writing on there. I've been in a rut lately. Tends to happen during the Summers. But, I've got some inspiration now. These walks help with that."

Jake noted the way Emma bit on her bottom lip. She did it probably out of some nervous habit, but there was something inherently sexy about it. It could have been because of the fact that Jake wasn't accustomed to being found so intimidating. Sure, his rugged good looks and charm got to some women in the places he frequented, but overall, he wasn't used to the way Emma responded to him.

He was attracted to her, but not in the ordinary sense. Sure, she had some nice features, but she didn't blow him away. It was more the little quirks that drew him to her. The way she tousled her hair and bit her lip and couldn't hold his gaze for too long before looking away. They were the things that struck him first.

"A writer? I actually majored in English in college. I always admired great writing, but I never had the patience to make a career out of doing what they did. So, instead I'm a resident handyman. If you've got a leaky pipe, you know who to call," he said, making light of his so-called career. The only reason he chose something so mundane because it was easy enough to insert himself into any given city and find work. He was versatile in that regard.

"I've probably walked by your building a thousand times and it takes both of us out one night to bump into one another." He smiled as if it really was good fortune that brought them together and not the fact he'd been tailing her. At her mention of not having anyone to walk with, Jake saw his opportunity to pounce. Sure she didn't know him from a hole in the wall, but she had engaged him, a strange man, in conversation in the middle of a deserted park after sunset, so she clearly was either enamored or just naively stupid.

"I take walks nightly. Early morning, late evening...whenever I can. I totally get the appeal. If you want some company, I'd be happy to walk with you." He left it at that and knew he had her where he wanted her. For being so new to this type of involvement, Jake felt right at home. Emma was going to be his. He would groom her to bend to his every whim, turning the meek little writer into exactly who he wanted. He knew he could. Jake was never short on confidence.

Jake's eyes widened when she mentioned her blog. He'd rehearsed the moment. He knew it would come out in coversation and he wanted to be prepared. His entire life was pretty much a facade, so even though he wasn't planning on winning any Academy Awards in his lifetime, he could hold his own with the greats. "No fucking way," he blurted out, knowing it would come off more authentic that way inside of acting as if bumping into the woman whose blog he'd been following was just about the most normal thing in the world.

Jake cleared his throat and then shook his head. "I apologize. It's just...I'm one of your followers! Jesus, what are the chances?" He laughed and ran a hand over the back of his head, a look of pure amusement on his face.

"I'm NovelApproach. I've shot you messages here and there, but meeting you...like this. What?" He smirked and took a step back, shaking his head again. "I'm sorry. This is just...wow."

Jake had suddenly turned from confident man about town to giddy fan boy, but he knew it was all for a purpose. When Emma saw just how interested he was in her and her writing, it would be yet another connection the two had to bond over. He could feel a stirring inside his jeans just at the mere thought of her writing as he sliced her throat open and watched the blood gush proudly.

He was getting ahead of himself, but it was fun to think about the future.

Emma was beside herself, Jake amazing her more and more as they stood there under the sky, the sun slowly setting beyond the horizon. The moon was shining brighter, the sky getting darker causing shadows to cast over their faces as they talked. She noticed his warm smile, the kind glint in his eyes. Perhaps fate was smiling down on her for once, giving her a sign that her life was finally about to change. The leaves swirled and the scent of woods carried on the breeze. Glancing up, she saw a shooting star and made a silent wish.

Let him be the one...

It was a silly thing to do; Emma knew this. But, she couldn't help herself as she watched the star wink across the sky and finally snuff out. Everything was damned near perfect and she wasn't about to let anything spoil it. Besides, what would it hurt? Looking up into Jake's eyes, she smiled brightly and then gasped.

"Y-you can't be serious!" Emma exclaimed at his reveal. Her cheeks went red and she began to nervously tug on her blonde curls as they fell about her face. She was quite familiar with the account NovelApproach. Every comment was one she remembered and probably more than any of the others. The messages—each and every one—had praised her, encouraged her, had always left her with a sense of hope. Her own responses had expressed her gratitude. And all too often she'd wondered just who was on the other side of the screen.

Seeing Jake now, Emma could scarcely believe it...NovelApproach. A fan, yet so much more. More than he probably even knew. Her tummy fluttered as the realization of the connection set in. Biting down on her lower lip, she giggled. "My first fan!" Her hands went to her cheeks and she wanted to hide due to how warm they'd grown. As she stood there, she heard the faint sound of laughter approaching. Turning her head slightly she saw shadows in the distance.

The lovers! Emma knew it was the couple that had been by the pond. They'd obviously finished what they'd started and were finally heading home. As they neared, she saw the girl had her jacket slung over her shoulder, her blouse buttoned all wrong and completely untucked from the jean skirt that she wore. Her dark hair was disheveled and she gave her a wink as she passed by, giggling with red cheeks and swollen lips. Emma licked her own lips and turned to look at Jake until the couple was gone.

"I...umm...always great to meet a fan!" Emma then said trying to distract herself from the little scene the couple had displayed as they'd walked on by. "I can't believe I'm meeting a fan right here, right now." She smiled, her mind racing. "W-would you like to walk me home?" she asked. "Consider it our first walk together." She blushed deeply and looked down at the ground. She was nothing like the girl who'd just walked by...confident, sure, sexy. She was probably better suited for someone like Jake, yet here he was, standing with her instead—and gushing over her blog. She thought about the shooting star, the wish...how she hoped it would come true.

Emma's reaction to the news was exactly what he came to expect just from interacting with her for such a short time. His being a fan was the icing on the cake. Jake had become an expert at reading people and that look in her eyes when he broke the news was enough for him to know he'd hooked her.

"In the flesh," he said, smiling brightly through the darkness, the air seeming to get cooler by the second, but yet he was still warm. It must have been the fact that he'd finally found what he was looking for. All the time he'd spent killing women who meant nothing to him, just to sate a craving. But Emma...she'd be the real score.

"I hope all of my words of encouragement paid off. You can do great things. And hell, if it takes walking out here at night to find inspiration, by all means." It was probably the most heartfelt conversation Jake ever had in his entire life. He was never one to get too personal. With his past conquests, all of his compliments were just drunk guy at a club speak. With Emma, however, it was real. It was what he truly felt and that both enthralled him and terrified him in equal measure.

Was someone as dark and disturbed as himself supposed to have feelings like that? Wasn't he supposed to be totally disconnected from the world? A reclusive soul who preys on those too stupid and naive to know any better? Yet there he was, having a meaningful conversation with a woman who, for some reason, he felt something for.

The sound of laughter pulled him from his gushing thoughts and Jake took note of the blood red hue of Emma's cheeks as the couple made their way towards them. The girl was attractive, there was no doubt about it and the look on her face told the story. If Emma hadn't been standing right beside him, he would have killed her. He would have tossed every last piece of her he meticulously cut up into the same lake she'd had her last fuck on the shores of. It wasn't meant to be, though. There were more pressing matters at hand.

With other women, something asking him to walk them home undoubtedly would have been dripping with double meaning. It was like the women he'd been asked to drive home because they were too wasted who wanted to show a token of their gratitude by inviting him inside. He always obliged. The offer was too good to pass up. Drunk women were less inhibited and more stupid. It all played out in his favor. With Emma, though, he knew a walk home meant a walk home.

It was surprising to see Emma take charge the way she had. She must have been riding high from the knowledge that she was actually face-to-face with one of her fans. A real fan. Jake wouldn't ever turn an offer like that down. He grinned and nodded. "Our first walk together. Wouldn't miss it for the world."

Jake couldn't have scripted things any better. Every piece was falling into place. His confidence came out in droves as he took his hand from his coat pocket and slipped it into Emma's as he began to walk, interlocking their fingers. The sight of that couple emerging after their fun by the lake had to have put Emma in the mood to be romanced. Holding hands wasn't exactly having sex by the lake by moonlight, but it was a start. He gave her hand a reassuring squeeze and turned to look at her.

"I'm really glad I bumped into you tonight," Jake said, tempted to stop her right there in her tracks and kiss her. He resisted, however. He'd rethink it when they reached her apartment. There was no need to rush things. With Emma, he knew it wasn't going to be as cut and dry as the others. He'd have to feed off of the cues she was giving him.

Noticing he had actually begun to lead the way and knowing that would tip off the fact he'd known more about her than he divulged, Jake slowed and let Emma take the lead. He wasn't going to fuck this up. Not now.

How quickly things had suddenly turned! If only Jake had known that mere moment ago she'd been the one admiring him, envious of how easy conversation seemed to flow for him. And the way the brunette passing by gave her brash and confident wink. He was the sort of guy other men looked up to, she was sure of it. But who was she? An unknown author with big dreams. Yet somehow...she had a fan. One with eyes she could get lost in forever and whose smile made her knees feel weak. Emma pushed those thoughts out of her head. She was truly romanticizing too much too soon. Sure, she had hopes, her thoughts drifting to that star. But then there was reality, that niggling notion that there was no way someone like Jake would want her when he could clearly have anyone he wanted.

Then again...Emma looked up into Jake's eyes. He did agree to walk her home. Smiling and not wanting to spoil things with morbid thoughts, she fell into step with Jake as they left the park and headed for the sidewalk. Somehow his hand found hers and she became painfully aware of the heat exchanging between them where they touched. She wondered if he felt it too or if she was just hopeful...or crazy. Maybe both. Ugh, she felt like a child, a silly school girl unable to sort her emotions as she explored this 'new territory'. She thought about his comments on her blog, such encouraging words that he didn't have to admit to...but he did. As her eyebrows knitted together, her face twisting slightly in thought, she felt his hand give hers a squeeze.

Blushing, Emma looked over at Jake and smiled. "I'm glad I bumped into you as well." She paused a moment. "Well, not that I bumped into you, I mean..."she added, her free hand waving around as she spoke. "I did bump into you, but I didn't mean to bump you. Just I..." She was getting flustered, her cheeks growing hotter by the second. "Oh, you know what I mean."

Emma giggled softly, bringing her one hand up to her face to cover her smile. She tugged on a stray lock of blonde before sliding her hand down the front of her dark green jacket, smoothing out the fabric and then plunging it into her pocket. Her blue eyes were fixed on the pavement in front of her as they walked side by side. The sky dark while the streetlights had flickered to life. It wasn't long before saw her apartment come into view. Though she found herself longing for tea, she was reluctant for her evening with Jake to end. It just felt too soon.

Slowly, her feet almost dragging, Emma led Jake up the stairs to her apartment. "Well," she said, her eyes glancing everywhere but at his face once they reached her door. She was terrified that if she looked at him that he'd disappear, that she'd never see him again. "This is my apartment," she explained. "I don't have any roommates."

Immediately, Emma blushed. She had no idea why she offered out that information. But it was too late. She couldn't undo what she'd said. It was done and now Jake knew...and probably thought her the most ridiculous creature to walk the planet.

"I..." Emma stammered. "I mean, I'm probably just going to make some tea...I..." She was flustered all over again, getting everything wrong. She wished she could run past her door and hide under the blankets of her bed. But that was also the last place she wanted to be. Fate was being a cruel mistress. She just hoped she wasn't too cruel.

Jake was by no means a modern romantic, but there was a certain electricity he felt merely from holding Emma's hand. The warmth and the feeling of her soft flesh against his own gave him a feeling of comfort that was sort of foreign to him. He'd never been in any sort of real relationship. The woman he slept with and eventually killed meant nothing to him. And that was part of his problem. He didn't really know any of them. There was a disconnect there that left a good deal of his prizes feel cheap. The connection he already felt with Emma had to make it feel sweeter when it came time. It had to.

"I got it. Even the literally bumping into was nice. You're a good bumper," Jake said, giving her hand a squeeze as he spoke. He was trying to lighten the mood because Emma's nervousness was so palpable. Jake didn't know for sure if Emma was the type of woman who left her heart on her sleeve or if she was just really easy to read, but he fed off of the clues. And there were plenty of them.

It was only a matter of minutes before the apartment building came into view. Jake had spent a good deal of time both inside and outside of the building, cowering in the shadows and leaving a good bit of distance between himself and the creator of his favorite blog, watching her do anything from go grocery shopping to checking for mail. He felt as if he knew her better than he should have and that was a definite advantage going forward. Her blog revealed a lot, too. He wondered if she would mention him, even though she knew he'd be reading it.

All of those thoughts left him when they finally reached her door. Jake half-expected their walk to end outside at the street's entrance to her building, but she'd let him inside to her actual place. What would come next? An awkward good night? A friendly hug and maybe the exchanging of phone numbers? Even though Jake thought he had a good read on her, Emma really surprised him.

Her mention of no roommate brought a smile to Jake's face. He nodded matter of factly at the news. "That's always a good thing," he said, letting Emma's hand slip from his own. Jake didn't know what to expect of her indirect invite into her apartment. Did tea really mean tea in Emma's case or was it the same as a woman from the bar inviting him up to her place? Emma surely didn't seem like the type, but then again, she had pretty much invited him to come in. And Jake was a complete stranger to her aside from her knowing he followed her blog.

Had she been anyone else, Jake wouldn't have hesitated to take up her offer, fuck her senseless and then kill her to end a very satisfying night. She wasn't anyone else, though and he planned on taking steps to make this one last. He wanted to savor every second with Emma before he turned her into his coveted prize.

"I like tea. Are you inviting me in?" Jake asked, stepping a little closer to Emma. There was something about that moment. He was appreciative of the fact that she'd even consider having him over, the blush in her cheeks was incredibly endearing and he felt a feeling in his stomach he'd never experienced before.

Jake placed his hands on Emma's hips and took another step forward, closing the gap between them so he could actually feel the heat radiating from her body. He smirked as he looked down at that innocent face of hers. Innocent, yet there she was with a strange man about to let him into her place. "I would love to come inside, Emma," he said, lingering there for a moment before he eased back to allow her to pull out her keys and unlock the door. It was a way of him showing his genuine interest in her without actually going forth with anything. He didn't want to steal a kiss from her and really throw her. At least not yet.

Once inside her apartment, anything was fair game.

His eyes were like a gateway, but they were also somewhat guarded. Emma decided Jake was just trying his best to be a gentleman. After all, he'd saved her from an almost unfortunate tumble along the wooded trail in the park. Then, he'd been all chivalrous manner in escorting her home. Along the way there'd been the promise of more walks and now, his hands on her hips, their eyes locked together...she could feel the tension rising. Her heart was beating hard beneath her breasts, blood coursing through her veins as her body began to feel hot. She wanted to fan herself, splash cool water on her face, something. How fate could smile upon her despite all her blunders, all those awkward moments, she had no idea. Then, she thought on that star.

Perhaps wishes do come true after all.

With flushed cheeks, Emma couldn't help but focus on how Jake's hands felt as they rested on her hips. The weight of them as his fingers splayed over her gentle curves, keeping her in place was welcome and wonderful. She could feel the electrifying heat emanating from him, enveloping her whole and drawing her closer. His words were bold; as if he knew what she thought yet was unafraid to say them. How she wished she had even a fraction of his confidence. Yet, he was the one who read her blog, was her fan.

Smiling, Emma nodded. "I'd like for you to come in," she said softly, shyly. "For a little while at least." She certainly wasn't ready for their time to be over. Not yet. She wanted to savor the moment, to remember it in all its perfection.

Emma reached into her pocket and pulled out her keys. She held them up for Jake to see and then giggled. Fumbling through them to find the one for her door, she found it and worked the door open. Slowly, she twisted the knob and pushed, granting Jake entrance into her home...her life.

It was a big step, something Emma rarely did for anyone. The most anyone typically saw were the posts she made on her blog. She did have one friend who occasionally tried to drag her out and about. But she'd known Jess for a long time, since high school. Jess now worked a colorful life as a waitress at a nearby bar while she spent her time either at home, walking or at the library where she worked her steady job. Jess was her complete opposite in every way and how the two became friends and remained so throughout the years was something that perplexed most, but it worked...most of the time.

"And this," Emma stated as she turned on the light. "Is my home." She turned around to face Jake. Her cheeks were pink, her hair still a bit mussed from earlier. She slipped off her jacket and hung it up on the coat tree and then her boots. Once her shoes were off she realized how much shorter she really was than Jake. Those damned things truly did make her appear taller. "Hope you like it...I mean..." she stumbled. "Make yourself at home, I..." she raked a hand through her blonde curls. "I'll make us some tea."

Biting down on her lower lip, Emma gestured that Jake make himself at home. Her tummy fluttered with nerves knowing that he'd be inside her apartment, that he'd said he'd love to come in. This was new territory, new ground. And oh how she hoped she didn't screw things up!

Jake longed for more of the closeness he felt during the brief period he held Emma by the door. There was a feeling of electricity in the way she felt under his palms. He could envision himself moving those large palms over every curve of her body before grabbing hold of his trusty knife to follow in his hands' path. Jake knew Emma more as the writer of a blog than he did as someone he was about to be romantically involved with, but still there was a pull that attracted him to her like no one else had.

He watched her fumble with her keys and then finally open the door to her place. Nerves were obviously a factor and if he could do anything to calm them, he would. He didn't expect Emma to change at the drop of a hat, but he didn't want her to be shaking every time she was in the same room as him, either.

The door opened and Jake followed Emma inside. The place was exactly what he would have expected. It didn't exactly have the sterile feeling his own apartment had, but very few people were as anal as he was when it came to cleanliness. It was a little surprising that someone who loved blood and the mess of it would be so tidy, but that was the case with Jake.

Once inside, Jake took off his own coat and hung it up on the hook just beside the one Emma had used. His button down shirt he wore underneath was dark grey and fit snugly, accentuating the bulges of both Jake's biceps and chest. He wasn't a fitness fanatic by any means, but he did enjoy lifting weights as a source of releasing aggression when he didn't have a woman at his disposal to use, maim and slaughter.

"Nice place," Jake said matter-of-factly as his eyes scanned the surroundings. It was quaint and had a cozy feeling about it. Maybe he would kill her here. The place felt warm and inviting. It was just the place he would love to see saturated in blood. Jake wasn't the only one keen on their size difference once her boots her off. It was endearing to see how much he towered over her. There was a feeling of superiority and carnal masculinity in how much he dwarfed Emma. He could throw her around like a rag doll if he wished. The mere thought warmed his body.

"I'll do that," Jake said, making himself at home by taking a seat on the sofa in the living room. He stretched out a bit, not yet ditching his own boots. Instead, he undid the top two buttons of his shirt and cracked his neck, relieving some of the tension residing there.

Jake let out a sigh as he crossed one leg over the other. He was looking for personal touches. Family photos, maybe a journal or something of the sort that would let him in on more than her blog did. But he found nothing in his meager search. He would learn more about her. He was bound to. He wanted to know where she came from, who she spent her time with and who else, if anyone, would be vying for her attention. It was important that Jake stayed planted firmly in the number one spot in Emma's rolodex of people she turned to. It was still incredibly early on, but if the way she had reacted to him in the short time they spent together, things would undoubtedly progress faster than he originally anticipated. If that was indeed the case, he'd definitely be number one.

As he sat there alone in the living room awaiting the sound of the whistling kettle from the kitchen, Jake began to think about defiling Emma in her own apartment. He started to plan a timetable in his mind. He thought it would take no longer than a few weeks to have Emma eating out of his hand. He'd start things out simple enough and gradually introduce her to more of his dark kinks the longer their relationship unfolded. By the time the two were really serious, he'd be cutting her, tying her up...owning her. She would serve him the way he longed she would already. Instead of tea, it would be literally anything he craved or desired. She was going to be his. And as crazy and utterly fucked up as it may have come across, Jake was confident that Emma knew it already.

A giddiness washed over Emma as she watched Jake walk inside and casually make his way over to the couch. He looked so at ease, so comfortable and confident. She wished she had a fraction of that. Shaking her blonde head, she tried to remind herself that he was her fan, that he admired her writing, what she did. It was hard to believe that with the way he carried himself and the way she tended to feel most of the time. She was still trying to make a name for herself and didn't have that many followers given the infancy of her aspirations. As it was she'd only managed to publish two novels and neither of them were on a best-seller's list. Though, at least the feedback she'd received had been positive, something to urge her on and continue ever onward down the road she'd started to travel.

Emma's thoughts drifted as she mindlessly began preparing the tea for herself and Jake. She thought about her parents and how she'd left them behind. It wasn't something she regretted. After all they probably barely even noticed she was gone. Only Jess had followed along with her, telling her that someone needed to keep an eye on her and keep her out of trouble...as if trouble would ever find someone like her! Jess was the one with the colorful life, the one who came across all sorts of people, had a boyfriend here and a boyfriend there. She'd always been the wallflower, that shy friend who sat in the shadows while her friend danced in the spotlight. But, she wouldn't have had it any other way. Jess was always there for her, putting her first and making sure she was happy when she could tell she was depressed.

Now didn't she have a story to tell her best friend!

Emma's blue eyes blinked when the kettle began to whistle, a soft giggle escaping as she got out some tea bags—deciding to go with peppermint. Quickly, yet carefully, she poured the steaming hot water, the tea almost immediately starting to steep and swirl. She smiled and set the mugs on a small serving tray.

"Ready," Emma called out as she walked over to Jake with the tray. Her heart was racing, thumping hard. Thoughts swirling, going over how this moment came to be. She then set the tray down, her hands shaking ever so slightly. "Be careful though," she cautioned, glancing Jake's way. "It...it's hot."

Biting down on her lower lip, Emma stood up and tried decide if she should sit on the couch beside Jake or on the reclining chair across from him. Every part of her wanted to sit closer, to get to know him better, to not let the night end just yet as they were getting to know each other and things were seeming to go so well. But she was nervous. Nothing like this had ever happened to her. This was typically Jess' arena, not hers.

Blue eyes glanced back and forth between the two seats and finally, Emma sucked in a sharp breath and went back to the kitchenette. "How about something to eat with that tea?" she asked, her cheeks burning red as she moved away. Oh, she couldn't be more mortified.

Emma raced to the cabinet and got out some cookies—oatmeal raisin, her favorite. She laid them out on a tiny plate and fluttered her eyes shut. Ugh, she was messing everything up. He was so beautiful, so kind...and so right there on her couch! She licked at her lips, her mouth suddenly so very dry. Clearing her throat, she readied herself to face Jake.

Now or never.

Carrying the plate over, Emma set it down next to tea. "I...I hope you like oatmeal raisin," she all but squeaked.

Jake was startled free of his vivid thoughts by the sound of the kettle coming from the kitchen. He shifted his legs so one was crossed over the other, a tactic not only used for comfort, but to disguise the fact that he'd grown hard getting lost in his thoughts. It was something that often consumed Jake at home. He would either read up on Emma's blog or just fantasize about murder or bathing in blood and he'd feel a response inside of his pants as if to reaffirm how great those thoughts were. He rarely took care of the problem himself, however. There was little gratification in doing everything himself. Eventually, he'd turn to Emma to be that helping hand, but for the time being, he would enjoy her company and her tea and be on his best behavior. At least, that was the plan.

When the blonde made her way back into the living room, Jake looked up from his lap and saw her holding the tray with both tea and cups. He smiled at her, breathing in the mild scent of the peppermint. He noted the inadvertently sexy way she bit her lip again. She was causing his face to burn a deep crimson and he felt like taking her by the wrist and tugging her down beside him. He wanted to feel the warmth of her body beside him.

It wasn't long before she disappeared from the living room and headed into the kitchen again. She seemed overly nervous with him being there and Jake was tempted to get up and either excuse himself for some bullshit reason just to give her a chance to compose herself or just follow her into the kitchen and ask her if everything was alright. He chose to do neither and stayed put on the couch, hoping Emma wasn't going to let her nerves get the best of her.

He took it upon himself to pour them both cups of tea, the smell of peppermint hitting him even stronger when the cups were full. He often drank tea during the time between a kill and sleep. It was soothing and calming and put him in a place of peace. Emma would learn that at some point. She would learn about all of his twisted fantasies and his fucked up worldview. She'd see how aggressive he could be and learn of all of the dark, disturbing things that turned him on.

But first, tea.

Returning the second time, this time with cookies, Jake smiled at her again. "You're quite the host. Tea and cookies. They say the way to a man's heart is through his stomach. I think it's working." Jake laughed and looked at the cookies and then into Emma's eyes.

"I love oatmeal raisin," he added, wanting Emma to relax. She didn't have to wait on him and there was nothing for her to be afraid of. He wasn't going to kill her. He wanted her alive for a while. Seeing how tentative she was, Jake took the initiative and grabbed hold of Emma's hand, tugging her down to sit beside him on the couch. He let her hand go as soon as she was seated. He was sure to stay close enough that their thighs touched as they sat.

Jake reached for Emma's cup of tea and handed it to her. He stole a cookie for himself, took a quick bite and then slipped his hand down onto Emma's thigh. His fingertips slid idly over it, his mind wanting to race again. He coaxed it not to and turned to look at Emma as they sat so close he could feel the heat radiating off of her body.

"I want to know more about you, Emma. The stuff you don't talk about in your blog. What's something I don't know about you?" Jake asked. He was genuinely interested and his photographic memory would help him in recalling even the most minute of details she told him. It could come into play later. He could bring up something she never thought he'd remember and impress the pants right off of her at a later date. Jake was cold and calculating, even when he was warm and inviting.

Emma had just set down the tray of cookies, her blue eyes drifting over to Jake as he sat there on her couch. Somehow, he looked like he belonged there. Though, a part of her wondered if that was just wishful thinking on her part. After all, she'd made a wish on that star...but that was just silly nonsense, a girl dreaming about things she pined for beginning at a young age. But she wasn't a little girl any longer. Now, she was a woman. Her childhood was locked away in a closet, forgotten, much like the life she'd left behind with her parents. About all she had left of times gone by was Jess and that's about all she wanted to hold onto from the past.

Raking a hand through her blonde hair, Emma wished she could find another excuse to run away for a moment to fix it. She knew she still looked a bit disheveled and then there was the added fact that she was still uncertain about whether to sit in the couch or the recliner. Just as she was about to speak, her words lost on her tongue, Jake reached for her. His fingers firmly wrapped themselves about her wrist. They were warm and the weight of them more welcome than she was ready to admit. She let him direct her, pulling her down onto the couch, deciding for her that she was to sit beside him and no where else.

Emma's cheeks reddened. Was Jake thinking the same things she was? It was still too early to tell, but at least his gesture gave her some hope. She smiled, her eyes finding his though she couldn't help but notice the way his hand suddenly rested on her thigh. There was something intimate, almost possessive—though she chalked that up to her imagination, the atmosphere and the moment getting the better of her—in the way he let his palm rub against her, his fingers sliding gently upward before coming to a stop. Her breath caught and she wondered if she'd be able to breathe again. If only Jess could see her now, her own life so suddenly full of that color, those sparks her friend lived day after day.

"M-more about me?" Emma more spoke, rather than asked. Her eyebrows arched high and she dared a glance at Jake's hand on her thigh. Looking back up into his eyes, she giggled softly. "I...I'm not sure where to start, I..." She licked at her lips and tugged on her hair.

As the heat continued to rise, sweeping over Emma's cheeks and down along her neck, she wondered what she could share with him that wasn't on her blog, but would keep him interested, make him see that she'd perhaps like more... She felt a bit silly and more than awkward and wondered how on Earth Jess managed this sort of thing all the time. But as she looked at Jake, she knew she'd regret it if she didn't try. His eyes were like windows she longed to stare into and how she hoped to find out more. So much warmth was emanating from him, washing over her and swallowing her whole. To say she didn't want to be devoured would be a lie. Just then she felt that tingle, that strange and deep burn that begged for her open up, to try. It was the only way to sate that desire, small as it was.

"Well, you know I write and have a blog," Emma started. "But I try to keep the blog about my writing only, about my stories, the things that inspire and how I sometimes get frustrated when I have writer's block." Her blush deepened. "But, I work at the library here in town. I know I haven't mentioned that and..." Her voice trailed. "I left my parents behind."

When Emma mentioned her parents a slight bitterness resounded in her voice. When she'd left them behind, it hadn't gone well. Only Jess knew the details, but they'd been childhood friends so she was well aware of everything. But anyone else knowing such things? She'd never felt compelled to share about it. Though as she sat there with Jake, the weight of his hand on her leg, more than anything, she wanted to share that piece of her life with him...and only him.

They already had a physical connection. Jake saw Emma as a sweet, innocent, quirky, pretty girl who he sort of wanted to corrupt in a sense. And it was clear by the way Emma responded to him so far that she was drawn to him, be it for his looks, his charm or a mixture of the two. What Jake had to work on going forward was an emotional connection. Had Emma been anyone else, the physical would've more than likely have been enough to at least get things to progress from the living room to the bedroom. With Emma, there were more layers to peel back. There was more substance there.

And genuinely, Jake wanted to get to know her better.

Emma's stammering responses were commonplace and every last one of them endeared him to her. Was it the closeness? Was it the fact that he was touching her or was it simply because he was showing an interest in her? Emma had her fans, but had anyone truly taken the time to get to know her outside of her musings and her actual writing? He doubted it. He would be the one to take an interest in her. He was the guy she bumped into at the park after the sun went down. He was a loyal follower of her blog and he would be the one to sweep her off of her feet. Hell, he probably already was.

Jake nodded along as she rehashed the fact that she had a blog and did writing. He knew that and much more already, but telling her he'd been stalking her could have given the poor thing the wrong impression. It was the mention of her family that piqued his interest.

Jake took a sip of his tea and then rested his slightly warmer hand on account of the heat from the cup back on Emma's thigh. At that point, it rested there more as a comfort to her than a way to exude his dominance or make a move.

He cleared his throat and shifted just slightly to face her more squarely. Jake's eyes locked onto her. He'd seen her travel to the library on many occasions and reasoned she worked there. She looked like the type who would, if such a type existed. He could definitely see her behind the counter of a library or bookstore, all too eager to help someone in need of assistance.

He'd brushed that little bit of information aside and decided instead to focus on her family. Jake had known about struggles with family, but he didn't quite understand what she meant when she said she left them behind. He caught the change in tone of her voice and it startled him somewhat. It was the first change in her demeanor he'd seen since he met her.

"You left them behind? What do you mean by that?" He was hooked on every word, wanting to learn more about the woman he was going to take sole possession of. If something bothered her and was a topic of pain or hurt, he wanted to be the first to know. He would be the metaphorical shoulder to cry on. He would be the open ears when she needed someone to talk to. Jake didn't know if she had a friend who already filled that void, but he hoped not. It would be so much easier if that wasn't the case. Maybe she was as reclusive as he was in terms of his personal relationships.

The last thing he wanted was someone getting between them. He wouldn't let that happen. He would kill before he did.

"I..." Emma began, unsure of how exactly to start. Just how much did she want to divulge? Some things she hadn't even told Jess, though her best friend knew a lot. Most, when the thought on it, but there still were some things she held close and kept secret. Yet, there she was sitting next to Jake, her heart pounding hard and desperately longing to find the right someone to confide in. Was he truly the one? He was still a complete stranger, she'd only been talking with him for a couple of hours. But as she sat there, their bodies close, his heat enveloping her, she felt a sense of comfort—a safety and security she never felt before. If she was honest with herself, she wanted more. "Well, I left home a few years back."

Emma looked into Jake's eyes, trying to read him, hoping he didn't judge her for leaving her family and not looking back. But she had good reason. Like she'd been with most of her peers while growing up, she hadn't been the child they'd been expecting or hoped for. She was...a disappointment.

A slender finger moved to get itself lost within the blonde curls falling over Emma's shoulders. She twisted her hair about it until the fingertip turned purple, then slowly letting the hair loosen. "I don't think they miss me much though," she added, forcing a smile. "It's not like they call." She shrugged then and reached for her tea. It was still hot, but the peppermint liquid was good and tasted delicious against her tongue. It was what she needed to soothe her in that moment as she remembered her bitter past. "Jess said they expected me to leave and started to turn my room into a storage room." She set her mug back down. "Makes sense. They don't have an attic."

Emma's voice wavered ever so slightly, her hands beginning to shake. She clasped them together, her fingers laced tightly causing the knuckles to turn white.

"I wasn't the daughter they wanted," Emma continued. "Not like Jess." She reached for a cookie and took a bite. The confection was delicious, her favorite. But right then, it suddenly seemed hard to swallow as her breaths came harder, the memories becoming fresher as she thought about everything. "I wasn't the pretty one or the popular one. I didn't make the cheerleading team."

Ah Jess...her best friend was everything her parents had wanted in a daughter. But instead, she was the best friend. Lucky for her that Jess saw through their bullshit. She didn't know what she would've done if she'd let her parents buy her off like they'd tried to. Ugh...it had been utterly mortifying!

Emma took a deep breath and set down the half eaten cookie. "My parents wanted me to be something I'm not." She raised up her hands, empty. "And then they found my journal..." Her cheeks flushed and she bit down on her lip. "I just couldn't stay after that," she went on, her face twisting, trying to hold back the emotions that were trying to break free from her tight grip. "They went too far. They didn't know me. They didn't want to." She paused a moment. "Only Jess knew me." She looked back into Jake's eyes, her own full of emotion ready to burst. "I know that's partly why Jess followed me. She wanted to let me know she hated my parents just as much as I did." She smiled weakly. "She's a good friend. Still, I'll never be her."

Emma's thoughts drifted. Jake was so close, every part of her was highly aware of him. And, in that moment, never had she ever been more grateful to be exactly who she was...and where she was. She wouldn't give that up for the world.

"But," Emma then added, looking directly into Jake's eyes. "I...I think I'm all right with that."

The story had Jake planted firmly on his seat, body angled towards Emma, one hand still resting on her thigh as a form of unspoken support as she got through it. He could tell it was a source of pain and understood exactly why. The daughter who could have been. It was disgusting to think parents could essentially abandon their own daughter because she wasn't who they wanted her to be. If he had an address, he would have been tempted to pay them a visit. He wasn't above torture. He itched to make the two of them suffer for what they put their daughter through.

A thought suddenly sprung up in his mind. He and Emma taking a road trip back to her home town to surprise her folks with a pop in visit. Nothing out of the ordinary aside from introducing them to her new love interest. And then the knife would come out and Emma could look on as her boyfriend sliced her parents to ribbons, letting them bleed out in agony while the happy couple bathed in their blood. A man could dream.

Snapping himself back, he listened intently again. When Emma mentioned Jess, he at first thought she was talking about her sister. That's the way it came off, that Jess was the sister they got and truly wanted and Emma was just a mistake. Then, her story veered of and she revealed that Jess was her best friend. That was like a blow to the gut to Jake. Competition was the last thing he wanted to be thrown into the equation. A best friend was just another person who would stand in the way of the two of them being together.

If Jess was anything like girls he'd seen in clubs and bars, she would do everything in her power to learn every little fucking minute detail about Jake before she accepted him. She would do her best to make sure he was completely miserable up until that acceptance and trust was built. He didn't want to deal with that. He didn't want to deal with her. And she was obviously a damn good friend if she followed Emma when she moved away. Why couldn't Emma just be on her own in a strange place where Jake was the only person she knew? It'd be so much easier that way.

He realized her was going off on another tangent in his mind. Jake would have to ground himself and be supportive instead of only looking out for himself. He slid his hand from her thigh to find one of her own hands and gave it a squeeze as he interlocked their fingers. He could see just in her body language and her eyes that her parents were a source of a lot, if not most or the hurt in her life.

"I'm glad you didn't try to change for them. No one should have to be someone their not just for their parents' approval. And Jess sounds like a great friend. You're lucky to have someone like that in your life." He had to do everything in his power not to grit his teeth when he said that, but he wanted Emma to think he was fine with Jess, too. Hating her best friend wasn't going to get him anywhere.

He held her hand tighter and nestled in even closer to Emma. "And believe me, I know what's it like. My parents didn't care about anything I did. I could have been flunking out of school and they wouldn't have known. My dad worked and my mom went out when my dad worked. I was staying home alone when I was eight years old. I was the invisible boy." He wanted to tell her that was when he started having his fascination with blood and mutilating animals, but he resisted.

"So I get it. I don't think it's made as any worse people, though. That's the important thing. If anything, we're probably stronger because of it." Jake lifted the hand he held up to his lips and kissed the top of it before bringing it into his lap.

"It means a lot. You know, you opening up to me like that. I really appreciate it," Jake told her, their bodies so close he wouldn't have doubted if Emma could feel his heart beating. In that moment, he felt such a strong connection to her he was tempted to kiss her and do anything in his power to make her pain go away. He was enthralled by this girl and the feeling he had in his gut was like something he'd never experienced before.

He was falling for Emma.

A smile tugged at the corner of Emma's lips, her blue eyes glittering brightly as she listened to Jake and took in the warmth of his hand as it rested against her thigh. Her eyes shifted slightly, noticing his subtle movements as his hand slid toward her own and eventually held it, lacing his fingers with hers. It felt nice...right. And thoughts of stars swirled through her head. How had she managed to be so lucky? On this night of all nights! She'd been in a writing rut and now not only did she find her inspiration, she was finding so much more. It was a pity she couldn't just let Jake know all of that right there and then. But she knew she'd sound silly. Probably desperate. In fact, she could hear Jess' voice in her head, clear as crystal, teasing and scolding her for getting her hopes up too soon, for baring her heart.

Emma squeezed Jake's hand back in response, her tummy fluttering with nerves. Suddenly, she felt hot, the tension rising and growing thick. The weight of it was so heavy it was almost smothering, but she wanted it to last. Biting down on her lower lip, she noticed the distance between herself and Jake growing smaller. Was that her imagination or just wishful thinking?

Did it matter?

"I...I wanted to," Emma replied, her words a mere whisper as she gazed into Jake's eyes.

The gap grew smaller still and Emma could feel his heat surrounding her. There was a comfort in how it enfolded about her body, beckoning her closer, drawing her in. Jake was the flame and she was the moth, her gossamer wings tangled in his web as he called out, called her home. She wanted this, needed this, her body inches away from his. Blinking, she suddenly giggled softly, her face red, her body on fire.

"I..." Emma stammered, backing away slightly though her hand remained in Jake's. "I need to show you something." Her face split into a mischievous grin and she stood up, her tiny body attempting to pull him up off the couch and toward a door that was slightly ajar—the door leading to her simple, yet efficient bedroom. "I promise that you'll love this."

As Emma tried to get Jake to follow, she wondered if now was the right time to show him her computer and the blog she pored over for her fans. She never showed it to anyone. Well, not her side of things anyway. This would be a first! He could see it from her point of view! And maybe, even watch her make a post. A wave of nervousness washed over her at the thought. Would he want to or just think it silly? Well, whatever the case. She wanted to show him, to share. This was a part of who she was after all and he was one of her fans.

"Come on," Emma said again, her smile growing wider as she tugged on Jake's hand.

Jake had never been one to crave company. Aside from having a woman share his bed for a night before he disposed of her, he was perfectly content with being alone. He preferred it. Getting lost in his own thoughts. Doing his own thing. There was never a reliance on anyone else. Yet, as he sat beside Emma on that couch and touched her, felt the heat of her body against his own, he knew it was what had been missing. He needed more of that. More of her.

When she broke the silence, Jake nearly jumped. He'd been basking in his new found emotions and reveled in their closeness. He'd been mulling over what to do next or if he should have stayed perfectly content in that moment. Luckily, Emma had everything figured out for him.

Jake looked up at her with befuddled eyes, having no idea what it might be she was so eager to show him in that moment. Her grin was something he'd never seen before. It was as if she knew something he didn't. Some sort of secret she'd kept inside for years that she was finally going to reveal and he would be the first to know. Whatever it was, Jake was captivated. He lifted himself from the couch when she gave him a tug and was again taken by just how much taller he was than the petite Emma. The size difference had to be at least a foot and he loved every inch of it.

"Usually women wait until the second date to take me to their sex dungeon, but whatever work-" Jake said sarcastically, his voice cutting off when he was led through the semi-open door. His eyes widened at the sight of her bedroom and at...her computer. He thought back to all of his nights he'd spent on his own, scouring her blog and falling in love with everything she put word to. Even the most senseless entries had him hooked. And suddenly he was seeing things from her perspective.

His skin was on fire at just the mere thought of being inside of her bedroom. Any other woman and this little walk would've been nothing, but to be there in her private domain with the writer herself was something really special. His free hand extended and his fingertips slid over the top of the monitor, his eyes delighting in the sight. He turned and looked at her.

"Is this where the magic happens?" he asked, smiling as he thought about Emma sitting at that very desk, typing away while he was in another apartment a few blocks away hanging on her every word. Emma had been right. He did love it.

All of it hinted at a comfort level between the two Jake wasn't sure he would be able to attain after one night. It was clear Emma was willing to let him in on a lot. Just standing in her bedroom was a big step. He admired her for being so open and honest with him. She'd already shared her rough past with him and her blog would just be the icing on the cake.

"Do you think you can give me a sneak peek, Emma? I am, after all, your biggest fan." Jake gave her hand a hopeful squeeze and then nudged her chair out from under the desk, willing her to sit down. She probably had no idea how much her small act had meant to him, but those dark mysterious eyes of his were finally aglow with a fire that he never thought would burn.

Emma was all nerves and knots as she led Jake into her bedroom. This was her sanctuary, her place of solitude when she needed to just get away from everything and everyone. And now she was sharing it with him. This wasn't about her bed or even the things she had hidden away in her dresser. Her thoughts went dark as her cheeks tinged pink at the thought of the hidden silk cord and blindfold she had tucked away with her prettier underwear. Oh yes, Jess had thought it hilarious to give her the gift on her last birthday...little had the girl realized just how much she'd actually thought on such things, longed to be on the receiving end... But such things had never come to pass and just weren't meant to be. So, she kept them hidden, deciding they'd stay there for her to admire.

And to pine over with great longing and desire. They were simple things meant to embarrass her, yet they beckoned as she blushed. She remembered her exact thoughts when Jess had given her the gift, a supposed tribute to one of her books.

Snapping back to the moment, Emma smiled. "You like it?" she asked stepping closer. "This is indeed where I do my writing." She licked her lips and leaned forward toward her computer. Her hand brushed against the mouse and the screen came to life. "I write and blog here," she stated, a light laugh in her voice. She moved to sit down and glanced over her shoulder and up into Jake's eyes. "Look...look," she said.

Emma turned back toward her computer, her fingers flying over the keys. Her strokes were gentle caresses as she navigated the keyboard and the multitude of tabs and files she had opened. Not once did her smile falter. She was at home here, in a state of perfect bliss. A soft sigh left her and she propped her head up against a hand, an elbow resting on the table. All too soon she had her blog open. Eyes glittering and face bright, she turned to look at Jake.

"See here?" Emma asked. Her hand left the mouse and she pointed to the screen. "Now..." she continued. "Watch this..." She giggled as she began to type.

I hit a stroke of inspiration today! I went out to take one of my many walks—something I do to clear my head and excite my muse. And fate decided to smile upon me! I dare say that today has been most fortunate indeed and that good things will soon be coming. Perhaps wishes do come true...

Biting down on her lip, Emma turned toward Jake. Her face felt warm and she knew it had turned red. It was definitely getting hot. She needed to splash some cold water on her face. Something.

"Um," Emma stammered. "Why don't you read my latest entry while I go get an ice water." She stood up, her blue eyes suddenly finding the floor very interesting. "I think the tea is overheating me." Ugh, as if that made any sense! "Would you like some?" She winced at her horrible way of dealing with this tension she felt building between herself and Jake. Just how old was she? Fifteen? She was an embarrassment to women everywhere! And why was Jake still here? Trying to push the awkwardness aside and out of her mind, she tugged on her hair and moved toward the door, leaving Jake near her computer so that he could read what she'd just typed. "I'll be but a moment."

It was nothing much. A bed and a computer. There wasn't anything overtly special about the bedroom, but to Jake, it was akin to being in a mad scientist's laboratory. It was where Emma went and poured her heart out in her blogs. Just the sounds of the keys clicking as she typed away was music to his ears.

Jake was tempted to step forward and place his hands on Emma's shoulders. He wanted to lean in close and read every word as it was typed. He wanted to encourage her to continue. He would've sat right there with her and watched her churn out a novel from beginning to end. He was as enamored with her writing as he was with her.

He saw the familiar page of her blog, but instead of being a spectator from his own laptop, he was looking at it from the creator's perspective. It was fascinating and Jake's eyes were wide with a boyish wonder, one that seemed so startlingly out of place on the face of a cold blooded killer.

It wasn't long before Emma had finished a short post on her blog. Her reaction afterwards was a little strange, but again Jake assumed it was just nerves. Even though she had a public blog, Jake couldn't help but think Emma was a pretty private person. Her opening up to him the way she was had to be an enormous step and it was obviously taking a toll on the poor thing.

When she asked him if he wanted any ice water, Jake shook his head. He'd never heard of a cup of tea in the middle of Fall overheating someone. It didn't add up. Just an excuse to get away. Jake wouldn't try convincing her to stay. A little alone time would do him some good. Read her post and maybe do some snooping. Jake wanted to learn as much about Emma as he possibly could, whether that meant checking her browser history or peeking inside of her closet.

When she was out of the room, Jake took a seat in Emma's vacated chair and read her newest post. He knew it had to have been him she was referencing. He was the source of inspiration. He doubted she was talking about the young couple who'd found respite in the quiet of the park after dark. He was the inspiration. He was putting her mind to work, just as she was doing the same thing to him.

He grinned as he read the words and then eased himself off of the chair. He listened in close near the bedroom door to try to hear footsteps. Silence. Trying his luck, Jake decided on looking through Emma's drawers. He opened the top drawer of her dresser, hoping to find something that might give him a better glimpse of the woman he so desperately wanted.

Just as his had been, it seemed that top drawer of Emma's was where she kept her underwear. Jake flipped through a few bras and pairs of panties, some lace numbers a little more risque than he'd anticipated coming from Emma. She seemed so pure. So wholesome. Anything divulging from that path enthralled him. There were things he didn't know about her. He had more to learn. He wanted to know everything.

He shuffled through a few more pairs, every so often looking over his shoulder to check on the door. Surely he didn't want to ruin what was shaping up to be a perfect night by getting caught snooping through some of Emma's undergarments. Blindly reaching in, his hand clasped something that he knew from the start wasn't underwear. When he fished it out, he saw a small silk pouch that was cinched at the very top.

Opening the bag, Jake reached a hand inside and dumped the belongings onto the bed. His eyes widened at the sight of a blindfold and cord. Emma didn't seem like she would have anything of the sort tucked away in her drawers, but there was the proof right in front of him. Had things not been so new, he might have confronted her about the find and took advantage of the fact that he was already in her room and was turned on by a number of elements, from the contents of the pouch to her blog. He wanted to slip the blindfold onto her, pull out his knife and toy with her body. He wanted to undress her slowly, use the cord to tease and tempt her.

So many images flashed through his mind, he had to shake them free just enough to gather himself. He grabbed the pouch, tucked the contents back inside and then stowed them away in the place he'd found them. Jake closed the drawer, took a deep breath and then settled back into the computer chair so it'd appear he'd never left it. He pulled open her browser history out of mild curiosity, but found nothing too out of the ordinary. But maybe, just maybe...Emma would be more than willing to indulge him in his darker of desires. The find had been a pleasant surprise.

He'd never felt so overwhelmed. Emma was taking a toll on him and it was only their first night together. Tucking the chair underneath the desk while he sat at her computer, Jake used it to his advantage to hide his erection that was stirring in his jeans. He stared blankly at the computer screen, reading her blog post over and over to himself.

What are you doing to me, Emma?

Emma shut the door to her bedroom with a soft 'click', her body slumping against it as she placed her hand against her chest. Ugh! She felt hot! Her body was entirely on fire and she didn't even want to think about the slight dampness she felt between her legs. No. No, no, no. She needed to pull herself together, find some semblance of composure and remind herself that he was her fan and it should be him whose knees felt wobbly and whose heart was racing and...

Biting down on her lower lip, Emma's blue eyes fluttered shut. The door was hard against her back. Slowly, she let her hand slide down along her chest and over her abdomen. Soon it came upon the hem of her jeans. Biting her lips harder, she let her fingers slip beneath the hemline and she dared to allow herself a briefest of touches. Her legs spread ever so slightly, the tip of a slender finger finding its way between slicked lips. She swallowed hard and stifled a groan that suddenly caught in her throat. Just what was she doing and with Jake only just on the other side of the door.

Quickly, Emma removed her hand and headed toward the sink in her kitchenette. She got out a glass and filled it with ice and then some cold water. Setting the glass down, she then went into the bathroom. For several moments, she just stared at her reflection. Her cheeks were rosy and her eyes glazed. She looked in lust. Oh god! Did she really look that desperate? She buried her face in her hands, her thoughts dwelling on the man who sat at her computer and was reading over her latest blog entry.

The one about him...

Emma let out a sigh and brought her hands away from her face. She eyed her brush and quickly went to work on her hair. It was still a bit mussed from earlier. Finally! She could remedy that. As she worked the bristles through her blonde tresses, she winced. Ugh! He'd know she was primping! Seriously, this was just getting worse and worse. She looked foolish! Only she couldn't help it. Gently, she set down the brush, that ache between her legs a reminder that she was just a girl...one in need, one who liked what was in her bedroom.

One who hoped her wish came true.

"Stop it, Emma," Emma chided herself. Her lower lip jutted out in a pout, but it did nothing to quell the sensations coursing through her body. But that would have to wait. Licking at her lips, she splashed some cool water on her face and went back to the kitchenette.

Emma found her glass of ice water just where she'd left it. She picked it up and took a sip. The water tasted good—nice and cold. But how she longed for something warm and... No, she was getting ahead of herself.

"Calm down, Emma," Emma whispered to herself. She took in a calming breath and headed back to her bedroom, opening up the door and peeking in.

And there he was, beautiful as ever. Jake sat there in her chair at her desk and everything just looked so natural, so right. It made her heart skip a beat. The heat was back in her cheeks so she took another sip of water as she padded into her room to stand next to him. Carefully, she set the water down.

"Did you read it?" Emma asked. "Did...did you like it?" Her voice was shy, uncertain, but the smile she donned refused to falter. As she looked into his eyes, everything just seemed perfect...as it was meant to be.

Jake glanced at the time on the computer screen. Emma must have been gone for at least ten minutes, which he found a little strange. He actually contemplated leaving the solace of her room to check on her, but he just assumed she made a pit stop along the way. Plus, given his current situation, it would've been difficult for him to even stand at that point, let alone hunt her down. He'd grown so hard inside of his jeans, when he glanced down, the all too noticeable bulge really drew the eyes in. He'd have to temper that if he was to keep Emma in the dark about how he felt about her and their new relationship.

There were so many thoughts bouncing around in his mind. So many things to process. He was in her bedroom. He was sitting at the same computer where her genius came to life. And just minutes ago, he'd rummaged through her underwear and found not only a blindfold, but a cord. He wanted to use them both on her. Emma seemed the type who would have no problem submitting. Should he test it? Was it too early?

It was a strange feeling having to approach everything regarding Emma differently than he would any other female. Things weren't so cut and dry. There was a certain dynamic he didn't want to ruin. They seemed well on their way to having a nice night, whether it was just relaxing on the couch or talking about her blog. He really hadn't taken the notion of going any further than that seriously, although since he'd stumbled upon a slightly darker side of Emma he didn't know existed, he was beginning to open up to the idea.

Finally, he heard the door open and he swiveled in his chair, forgetting entirely about the state he was in. He saw the smile that was seemingly plastered on her face as she asked him about her newest blog post. Standing, Jake took a step forward from the chair towards Emma, glancing down at the ice water he came to reason must have been her way of 'cooling down'. He saw the flush in her cheeks and he was certain it had nothing to do with the hot tea the two of them had been drinking.

Confident he was doing the right thing, he took yet another step to close the gap between them. Again, he could feel the heat from her body as his hands crept down to her hips again. Resting them there, he dug his fingers in possessively and firmly tugged her forward so that her body was pressed against his. He did it purposely, making sure to align himself and move just so that Emma would be able to feel the outline of his thick, engorged manhood as it pressed against her.

"Like it? I loved it," he breathed out his response. Sure she was shy and bashful, but Jake was also convinced Emma wanted him. There was no sense in letting an opportunity slip away. Even if Emma thought twice about it and decided against anything more than some innocent flirting on that first night spent together, at least he put a notion in her head. That would've been reward enough.

"I mean...that is, if I'm that dream come true you were talking about," he added, his voice coming across cool and collected. Seductive in a way. He looked deeply into her eyes, willing her not to look away while his hands traveled up her sides, exploring her without so much as a second thought. He kept his body against hers, letting her feel his muscles and his cock and the heat of him. He wanted her to bask in it.

He was on the verge of taking her. He wanted to desperately, but he needed to gauge her response to him. That would be the only way he would know for sure what his next step would be.

Emma smiled at Jake, hoping that he was pleased with the little entry she'd decided to post up to her blog. It hadn't been much, but every word of it had been true and meant something to her. As one of her fans, she hoped he understood that and maybe—just maybe—even caught a hint of the underlying meaning she'd had hidden within some of her words. She'd figured they were innocent enough that if the feelings she felt stirring inside were one-sided, no one would have to suffer embarrassment.

Of course, she'd pine from afar and probably suffer from more than one steamy dream that resulted in her hands needing to do some work, but...

Oh, that thought sent a wave of heat coursing through her blood. But Emma had no time to dwell on it. Jake was already standing, closing any distance that happened to be between them. His words were breathy, a mere whisper as he spoke his approval...approval! She couldn't help but smile, her cheeks flushing even more as she felt the warm weight of his hands on her hips. Oh, it was so lovely. She could stay like that for forever. He inched even closer. How was he doing that? There was a slight pressure against her hipbone, leading her forward. Unable to resist, she let him lead and she felt the length of him hard and hot against her inner thigh.

Emma gasped, her blue eyes unable to hold Jake's dark gaze. Her heart was beating in her throat while her tummy fluttered with nerves. She swallowed hard, her mouth suddenly so very dry. Looking back into his eyes, she just nodded, the words unable to come. "I..." She continued to bob her head 'yes', her mind swimming as the tension grew thicker and swirled about them both.

Jake knew. He knew! And somehow he didn't seem to mind! He wasn't running or finding an excuse to leave. No. He was standing there, holding onto her, making it clear exactly what he was thinking, feeling. Emma felt a tiny gush of dampness pool between her legs, a dull throb beginning to grow. She was coming alive in his arms, just like the heroines in her books, in her...fantasies.

As her mind swirled with heat and color, Emma wondered what Jess would say. She'd probably laugh. Emma had always been the sensible one, chiding her friend over the fact that she always seemed to have a new boyfriend. And here she was with Jake. A man she'd just met about an hour or so ago. And already her mind was imagining what it would be like for his hands to explore her body, his mouth to kiss and suck her neck, her breasts, her... She needed a moment. She needed to think!

But she wanted this. She did!

"Jake, I..." Emma stammered, finally finding her voice. Her own hands had somehow found their way to his hair, her fingers absently getting lost in his locks. "I want this, but I..." She was trembling, her blue eyes glittering. Ugh, she was screwing everything up. Everything! How could he like her now? How could anyone? A tear rolled down her cheek as confusion and anger and worst of all...regret...crossed her face.

Back
Top Bottom