Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Character Images & Request Threads

Myn

Super-Earth
Character images, or face-claims are an essential part of my roleplaying experience. A nice picture really helps in boosting my interest at the start, and my motivation throughout the course of the roleplay. I’d even go as far as saying it improves my writing since it gives me a much clearer ‘mental image’ of what the scene looks like.

Textual descriptions are good, but unless you spend several paragraphs describing the character it seldom ever comes close. And if you do spend hours writing up the perfect description, it usually ends up really wordy, and most people won’t bother reading it.

Now I’ve got two Questions;

1. Firstly, am I alone in this? I’ve spoken to a few people in the past and some have said it ‘helps’ while others have said it makes no difference to them.

2. My second question is a bit more complex, and it relates to the way in which people use the images.

When I go through the request threads looking for a male partner, I often guys giving me pictures of what they want MY character to look like… and that would be fine, it’s a request thread after all. But what bothers me is that I never know what their character looks like.

On the reverse side of the spectrum, I find that girls however use images for their own characters too. So essentially both sides depict the female character, and not the male…

I acknowledge how some guys just use the image as a scene, or a template to work off, indicating they want ‘something like that.’ But I’m seriously wondering why guys don’t represent their own characters? Is it a homo-thing? (Cause admittedly you’ll need to look through a few male pictures to get that perfect fit). Or is there something more?

Personally, I'm one of those that it doesn't really matter to one way or the other. I usually just describe the appearance of my character, I find it to be easier because I can sometimes be really picky about my character and it's hard to find a picture that looks like what I want, so I can describe my character how ever I want, though sometimes I do tend to get a little wordy... But if my role play partners prefers pictures I can usually find a picture to use. I do have a few go-to male anime pictures for just such times.

That said, as strange as it may sound, I have a hard time using pictures of real people. I can do it if desired but I sometimes have a hard time getting into that character... I have a much easier time with anime pictures or, obviously, with written descriptions. I don't know why I have a hard time with pictures of real people in role plays...

I've never posted anything about what I want the female character to look like, or what I want my role play partner to play. To me that's no fun. It's their character, they should pick it, they should decide what their character looks like. I wouldn't like having my character chosen for me so I see no reason to choose the character for my partner (unless they really want me to).

As for your last question, I can't really answer it. I haven't role played with very many guys here, and the few that I have have provided a picture or description of their character. I always provide a description or picture of my character. So... I don't know. If you want a picture or description of your role play partner's character, ask for one. Most guys would probably be just fine providing you with one. And if they refuse... well, do you really want to role play with someone like that?

Myn,

Just to let you know, if you haven't seen it already, there was a related thread posted a couple of months ago that may also provide some answers to your questions: http://bluemoonroleplaying.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=67421

Pictures are nice, but I only really use anime ones...or in some rare cases western cartoon drawings. For that very reason, I'm very flexible on whether or not I want to use pictures.

That being said, it has always been a turn off to me when a guy gives me a picture out of no where and asks me to play them. I want to play my own character, and it's fine if you have certain preferences...I will consider that in my search. Otherwise, I want to make sure I like the appearance that I will have in my head for the entire roleplay.

That being said, most of my partners do give me a picture of what their character likes. Not all, but the ones who like pictures usually have their own pictures to give of their characters. But keep in mind, the type of partners I play with enjoy story along with their smut. I find that when it's just smut, a lot of people are only concerned of what the girl looks like, and they just imagine themselves in their character spot. Like, self inserting. At least for original roleplays.

But I have had some smut roleplays where my partner vividly describes the character they are playing, and that's enough for me. However, I've never really "fallen in love" with a character unless I can vividly imagine him...so if the person isn't good at descriptions in both appearance and personality the interest can dwindle.

I'm a complicated person.

There's also the fact that there are LOT more images of women out there than there are images of men, this is especially true when it comes to anime pictures.

Just take a look at the site 'Gelbooru' which is a pretty common one for anime pics - there are 383642 pictures of women, and only 22050 pictures of men. That means there are more than seventeen times the number of female pics than male pics - no wonder we have an easier time.

I think there's just an element to guys as well in that they have a hard time knowing what is attractive to women and what isn't. I know a past boyfriend of mine once asked me if he was actually attractive or if I just liked him for his personality. I remember just giving him and blank look and saying "...What? Oh course you're hot!".

(and yes he was being genuine, not just fishing for compliments)

The guy was 6'2, had a toned body, a chin to die for and a very squeezable butt, but he had literally no idea what women actually found attractive, since he couldn't see it from our viewpoint as a straight guy.

Back
Top Bottom