Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Yearning Steer (Penner and AR)

RE: Yearning Steer (Penner and AR) Random Western Titles.

"You'll be staying on the top floor of the school building. Mayor thought that might be more convenient for you, being alone and all. It's a nice little building, used to be our tailor shop but that closed down so we decided to convert the building," Eric said. "From what I hear the women folk have prepared it real nice for you. They're pretty excited that someone else will be taking over teaching the kids the hard stuff. The wives of this county have done what they could but it hasn't been easy."

"Ms. Williams is thinking of starting a class for adults who want to learn," Ben finally spoke up.

Eric laughed, "What? Well, that does sound like a bit of a silly idea .I don't know many adults who have the time or gumption to do any learning. No offense, Ms. Williams, but I don't think that idea will go very far."

"I'd go," Ben said quietly.

She frowned a little. "I suppose that all great men and women are laughed at when they had marvelous ideas... it is a pity that only Mr. Wilson seems to know the genius of it. Sheriff." Kate wasn't going to let the laughter get to her. She did not expect that everyone would understand it but it would get people curious. She could and would teach about more than children's subjects. Theories, ideas... perhaps, she would inspire someone to further their education?

"It is not as if it will take away from the education of the children." She said simply. "I will be busy seeing what levels the children are at with their reading, writing and maths." She mentioned. "And then, I will make the announcement at church after the service for those who are interested.

Eric's eyebrow rose at her spunky reply. He wasn't used to women who talked back quite like this one, but he had to admit it was a nice change.

"Well, I reckon if Ben says he'll go, he'll go. So you'll have one student at least," he said. There was a laugh in his voice, as if he still found the idea amusing - which he did.

The idea of adults going to school classes was funny to him, he couldn't help it even if he sensed it was offending her.

"You'll have a fairly large class of children. Mostly younger ones. The older ones generally stop schooling at 16 but I hear Luke will be going. He'll probably be the oldest." And he probably wouldn't be happy about it. Nobody liked to be the odd man out. "But we have a good ten family's with school age children and each of those has two or three kids ready to go. When will you be wanting to start? In your letter you mentioned September."

"Well, September is when it starts to cool down a little but the end of August as well. I know there might be a break for the harvest but once winter comes along then people will have more time." She mentioned to the Sheriff. "And there will always be children who do not wish to be in school." She said with a shrug. "Although, it will give them a bright future. Even with farming and homesteading, you do need to read and write?" She mentioned with a smile as she was looking at the Sheriff.

"As for the adult classes... It's not going to be reading. I think it will be more discussion of different ideas. I just thought it might be a way of bringing the community together?" She mentioned feeling a little disheartened but that was not going to stop her. People would laugh but she was stronger.

Eric smiled right back at her but he was thinking most kids would farm and ranch. He didn't know what she meant by 'bright future'. There really weren't options out here. Unless the kids decided to become teachers themselves. He supposed that was a somewhat brighter future than farmer.

"Discussion of ideas?" Eric chuckled, "What kind of ideas?" It was part teasing, part genuine. Her comment about 'bringing the community together' niggled him a little. Far as he knew the community was fairly 'together' already but he would leave it alone. Far as he could tell, he'd already offended her enough.

What bothered Ben about Eric is that women liked him, even when he was rude. Maybe it was because he was the Sheriff, but probably not. It'd been the same way when they were younger.

She was hoping that they would get to town soon, it had only been about fifteen minutes since the Sheriff arrived but it was so different from Ben that it was a little exhausting. "I suppose philosophy, history and art? I mean, it's not for everyone so I don't expect the entire town to come. I think it would be too crowded." She smiled. "However, those interested will go." She mentioned as she lifted one shoulder.

She supposed it was her way of trying to become apart of the community as well. It was not like she could get back home so easily so she was going to try to slowly become part of it. After all, Kate did not want to become an outcast.

She looked over to Ben who was quiet, something that she was use to but she also felt awful that he was not part of the conversation. "Since you are interested, Mr. Wilson." She wanted to call him Ben... Perhaps, when they were in town then she would ask him to call her Kate. "What topics would you find yourself wanting to discuss?"

"Ben? Discussing topics?" Eric intervened, "Not likely. He isn't much of a talker, though I'm sure you figured that out. Right, Benny?"

It was a competition thing, Ben knew that. Eric always tended to be a bit louder when a pretty woman was around and generally the women seemed to like it. Still, he didn't like it. The subtle insinuation that Ben lacked intellect, that he was incapable of conversing... and he didn't like it because when it came to Ms. Kate Williams it was true. When it came to most women it was true. They made him nervous, uncomfortable... shy. He wasn't like that, generally, with other men but women? They tied his tongue.

Jesse, catching bits of their conversation, turned his horse around so he could ride on Eric's other side.

"Sheriff, I have a question for you. About those goats that disappeared from Mr. Cleary's ranch."

Eric turned away from Kate, "Oh? What question?"

"Maybe we could speak privately?" Jesse suggested.

Eric nodded, "Excuse me Ms. Williams, Ben."

The two rode ahead and to the side until they were out of ear shot.

Ben was glad for the silence that followed. It felt like Eric hadn't shut up since joining them but he supposed that was something Kate would enjoy. She was, after all, a bit of a talker herself.

She knew that Ben was not much of a talker but she did not think that he was stupid in the least. If he could be really shy or simply did not like to talk... she liked to talk too much. And she didn't really know much about him. “That was a bit rude of him to say...” She said to Ben in a low voice... he had kissed her so, she knew that he liked her... and well, she was feeling a little guilty for the kiss because it's not like anything could really happen.

“And you really can't help that you prefer to listen... I think I kind of like that... Not that I would want to talk over you. I hate when people do that too much. Probably because I like to talk so much...” She said with a smile. “Oh... I am doing it again...” She said to Ben as she looked at him for a moment. “Sorry...” She did kind of wish that he would talk sometimes. It could be a conversation but sometimes, he just got silent...

Why was she getting emotionally invested...?

The horses of Jesse and Eric rode ahead as an uncomfortable silence was between the two of them. Well, at least it was uncomfortable for her...

"I prefer kissing," Ben said, and he was shocked at himself for being so blunt.

But it was true. Kissing was easier than talking... and maybe with enough kissing, he'd feel more comfortable talking. Really, he'd been wanting to kiss her again since they woke... and now, knowing full well that Eric was interested, he felt the absurd need to remind her.

"Don't mind Eric," He added quickly, to cover up his inappropriate comment, "He talks too much. Don't think he likes silence." He wasn't sure why he was defending Eric, it just like the thing to do. The man was his friend, after all.

And that had always been the fundamental difference between them. Eric liked to tease, sometimes his teasing had a mean edge but Ben was careful with people. Careful with their feelings. He wouldn't tease like Eric did. He was hard on his brothers, but easy on the rest of the world.

She smiled a little when he said that he preferred kissing... oh hell yeah, of course he was thinking about that kiss still. There was a part of her that was feeling a little smug about that. "I suppose that I do too." She said coolly as they rode before he was talking a little more.

"Well, some people think silence is a bad thing..." She did and she wondered if that was a bad thing. Even when she was working on grading papers, she was listening to the radio or music to do it. Silence made her uncomfortable. "Like me..." She said quietly with a shrug. "He was just a little rude to you... but you might be use to him and how it is his way?" She asked him curiously liking that she was getting him to talk right now. "You might be quiet but you are kind to defend your friend..."

Ben nodded, "His mouth runs off on him, doesn't always realize what he's saying might be hurtful," he explained.

He shook his head at her words. He didn't feel particularly kind. It was just the right thing to do. He wondered if Eric would pursue her... if she'd choose the more talkative one. After all, as she said herself, she didn't like silence and it would take him a long while before he'd be comfortable enough to talk and even then he didn't have a lot to say.

"I think adult school is a good idea," he said, a bit belated now that Eric wasn't there to hear it but he wanted her to know, "not foolish."

She nodded a few times, "Well... Sometimes you have to think before you speak." She said with a shrug. "And it seems that you do and he doesn't really." Kate looked ahead as she was riding, she could see the town off in the distance. "I won't fault him thought. Sometimes, first impressions are not always the best and most truthful of impressions. She pointed out with a little smile.

She did turn her head, "You seem to be the only one who thinks so... Your brothers have all said it was silly as well as your friend." She laughed. "Not that it will stop me, I'm too determined sometimes." She explained. "Is that the town over there?"

Ben nodded, "Thank you." He was both glad and nervous that she was willing to forgive Eric.

He followed her line of sight, "Yes. That's it."

It wouldn't be long now. He would hand her over to the Mayor and he didn't know how long it would be until he saw her again. He wished they were alone, so he could say goodbye but he didn't know what he would say and if he could, he would make sure he could find her again, soon.

She glanced over to him for a moment wondering if she was going to be able to give him a proper goodbye. He lived two hours from town so it felt like she was not going to see him... if she was lucky once a week for church. And it was not like she could go out there... perhaps, he would come if she had the adult classes? However, he would be busy with the cattle running soon. "It's a pity that I won't be able to leave town much..." She said in a low voice as she was riding, not wanting the others to hear them as they were about ten or fifteen minutes from the town. "How long are you going to be in town for before going back to the Ranch?" She asked trying to be almost innocent but it was a little obvious.

"I just want to be able to give you a proper goodbye... is all..."

"Awhile, have to get our supplies," Ben answered. She continued, mentioning a proper goodbye. He wondered if that meant what he thought it might... hoped it might.

"I'll come see you, before I leave, if you'd like."

Eric whistled, the sound loud and piercing, "Ben! I have to ride on ahead, taking your brother."

Ben waved his hand in answer and Eric and Jesse took off at a gallop. He had no idea what they were doing but he would find out later. For the moment Ms. Williams was his focus.

"I would very much like if you could see me before you have to go back to the ranch." She said as her eyes were ahead to see what was up with the Sheriff and Jesse. "Is there a lot of theft in this area?" She asked curiously wondering if it was like the movies where there were shoot outs in the middle of the town and outlaws... bandits and Indians attacking? Well, the native community was a whole different thing with a history of sadness. She had to wonder if there was a tribe and if it was one good terms with the town.

"It just seems like a small town so... things like outlaws seems a bit strange." She said knowing there was a river near her as well as a lake so it was a prime location for a town.

"It is strange. Been having a rash of theft lately, Eri-Sheriff hasn't had many leads," Ben explained. He was curious to know what Jesse could possibly know about it. Maybe his brother was lying just to break up the conversation between Eric and Ms. Williams but why would he have done that?

Luke and Noah let out whoops, spurring their mares into a run as the town grew ever near. They were racing to the sweet shop, as usual stuck in a brotherly rivalry.

Ben sighed, annoyed at their recklessness but not willing to leave Ms. Williams on her own to chase after them.

"You don't need to worry. The town is safe."

She smiled as she watched Luke and Noah going off to race. "Lord, they are at it again... do you need to go after them? I can try to go a little faster with... uh... what is this horse's name?" She asked wondering if she could name it herself. Something better then Buttercup... she could call it something that had to do with her own time like Lady Gaga or Freddie Mercury? Well, she would think of something fun for it... maybe a Candy name or... well, she had plenty of time.

"And it's good to know the town is safe." She grinned... "Pity that it will be missing something..." She was flirting seeing if she could make him red again.

"No, it's fine," he said. If they didn't slow down at town limits he'd give them shit later. He wouldn't ask her to go any faster, it wasn't safe. Not especially after her last fall.

But instead of turning red he looked at her curiously. "Missing something?" He asked, oblivious.

The boys hit the town limits, nearly bowled over a poor woman carrying a basket full of laundry to the saloon then jumped from their rides and continued on foot, determined not to end the race even if it meant leaving their dies behind for a bit. They were pretty confident Ben would catch up and claim the horses before anything could happen. They also knew they were dead meat if they raced the horses in town limits.

Oh god... he didn't get it and she was not going to explain it to him. "Yeah... just something..." or someone. Changing the subject, she said. "I do look forward to what is next... I mean, this is a new adventure." She said with a smile. "And it's a little scary but, I think it will go well." She mentioned as she looked at him for only a moment as her eyes went back to the two brothers as they stopped at the town limits and there was a woman who was almost hit. Her laundry falling onto the ground as she yelled something at the two brothers that Kate did not hear.

"That poor woman..." She said as she kicked her horse a little to go a bit faster not knowing that was the saloon or rather, it was a saloon and brothel... but it was a popular place for travelers and men from the surrounding ranches and homesteads... and something that was shunned from the locals. Now that Kate knew a wit about that.

The woman was actually more of a girl who was trying to get some of the bed sheets cleaned and changed for the day.

Once they reached the town limits, Ben slid off his saddle so he could claim the reins of the two horses abandoned by his brothers. It would be easier to guide them on foot. He looked up at Ms. Williams, "Give me a minute to tie them up, then I'll show you to the Mayor's office."

From there, it would be up to everyone else to take over. How could he feel like he was missing her? He barely knew her. He felt like an idiot. A sentimental fool.

Before he could stop her, Kate was off of the horse and on the ground as she said. "Can I help?" She asked as she took her horse's reins and followed Ben. She was feeling optimistic but she was also going to miss the Wilson brothers... she felt horrible for leaving because for her. They were the first people that she had met and so, she felt like there was some attachment there. She could not really explain it but she knew that it was there.

Even if she hardly knew them... they had helped her so much and their kindness. Well, she was going to miss seeing them daily.

"It will be nice to settle in and get to know the town a little."

The town was bustling, despite the early hour. Shops were open, people were hurrying about doing their various jobs. On the boardwalk outside the Mayor's home the Mayor and Deputy Sheriff were seated at a small table with cards spread out before them. The Mayor looked up as Ben approached, "Ben Wilson," He smiled widely, "And this is... the school teacher?"

"Ms. Kate Williams," Ben said by way of introduction.

The Mayor was tall, thin as a rail, with dark black hair and a beard that seemed two times as wide as his face. He sauntered off the boardwalk and held his hand out to Kate, "Ms. Williams, it's a pleasure. Mayor Henry Rite."

The mayor kind of looked like President Lincoln with a bigger beard... but that was impossible because Lincoln had been dead for almost two years. "Good Morning. It's a pleasure to meet you, Mr. Rite." She said as she looked to the other man who was a bit older. Standing up, he came over and said. "Morning, Ms. Williams. Deputy Sheriff Bill Sanders." He said as he put a hand out for the young woman. It turned out that the Deputy had once been Sheriff but was in semi retirement since taking on the Sheriff and teaching him the ropes.

"Nice to meet you too." Kate said as she honestly felt a little awkward and out of place. "So, I was wondering when you were hoping for classes to start? In August?" She asked thinking that she would have a lot of questions and best to get them out now. "Also, how many students are there going to be?"

"Right into business!" Mayor Rite chuckled, "Well, you can start whenever you'd like but closer to the end of August will probably mean more students. As to how many? Don't rightly know. Heard from a few families who will be attending for certain, Mr. Wilson's for example, but for the most part folks are half torn between wanting their kids to learn, and wanting their kids to work. I'd expect you'll see around twenty to thirty kids at most. May even be more after the first few weeks, if you're willing to take in the older kids."

Luke would probably be the oldest attending. In general kids stopped going to school around 14, sometimes as old as 16. The folks in town weren't keen on the idea of sending their 14-year-olds to school.

"If you'll excuse me," Ben said quietly when the Mayor took a breath, "Should check on my brothers."

"They're probably tearing up the sweet shop," Mayor Rite grinned, "Go on. We can handle Ms. Williams from here."

Ben nodded and headed off. He didn't say goodbye because he'd promised to find her before he left town. they could say their goodbyes then.

Back
Top Bottom