Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Yearning Steer (Penner and AR)

RE: Yearning Steer (Penner and AR) Random Western Titles.

"Hey Ms. Williams!" Noah said with a smile. He stepped away from the water, pulling Jesse back to give her room, "Your horse is doing fine. You'd never guess she was out there alone for a day. Hell, you'd never guess she was the sort to buck, seems too lazy."

"You never know when a horse will panic," Jesse said, moving around Kate and heading into the dining area.

"How are you feeling?" Luke poked his head into the kitchen, "The doc said two or three days. We're at two days tomorrow, right?"

"Eager to take her to town?" Jesse frowned.

"No, it's just..."

"He's eager to go to the sweet shop," Noah patted Luke's shoulder as he walked by, "hasn't been for days."

Her mood seemed to brighten a little as she said, "Don't worry... I will be out of your room and you won't have to sleep on the floor anymore." She said to Luke teasing a bit. "I am feeling a lot better... Must be because I got a bit of a thick skull." She shrugged as she rubbed the soap onto her wet hands and made sure to scrub under the finger nails. "Honestly though, I feel a lot better today." She mentioned with a smile.

"Oh... do they have that rock candy or the candy sticks?" She asked wondering what old fashioned candy was really like. "Is Buttercup fit to ride still?" She asked thinking that she could like a good mount to use around town if she needed to. It was a good assert..." Finishing up rising her hand, she dried them as she started towards the dining room almost hitting Ben as she turned but missed him but saying, "Oops... sorry." Kate then went to the dining room to go and sit down at the table.

"Oh! I don't mind! That's not important," Luke said quickly, "Sleeping on the floor isn't bad but Noah snores." More like Noah snuck out at night and threatened Luke to keep it secret.

"Candy sticks," Luke said, "Those are my favorite."

"She's fine to ride," Noah said, overhearing her question, "not sure why you'd want to ride her. She's an ornery thing."

"Maybe we could give her a better horse?" Jesse suggested, "In a trade?"

Ben moved to avoid being hit just as she moved, they barely brushed against each other instead of a headlong collision. Her apology was not answered as he moved to wash up.

The other boys joined her around the table, sliding into their places with matching flourishes.

"A ride into town could be fun," Noah said.

"But only if you're up to it!" Luke said to Kate.

"Mine's the lollypops." She said to Luke before another brother spoke about her horse. "Ornery? Really?" She had thought that the horse was a bit heavy but didn't know that it was a show horse? "Are you alright with trading my horse for one of your good ones?" Maybe they were thinking from a breeding standpoint? She didn't really know that much about horses, she did know a little of this and that but certainly not as much as a breeder. "I suppose a trade would be good but we don't have to worry about that right now." She said as she sat down at the table. All the food had been laid out by Susan and Mary who were in the kitchen cleaning and finishing up their days.

The idea of going to town was something that she looked forward to personally. It seemed like it was going to be a nice thing to get her baring. "I think that is up to your oldest brother..." She said, "I do feel much better and I should feel up to it tomorrow."

She mentioned to the brothers as she was sitting, she had been on her feet most of the day but it was not so bad... She was use to it and preferred to be standing up but sitting down at the end of a day was still amazing.

"Eh, it's fine. We got lots of useless mares running around, what's another one?" Noah said dismissively, "Right Ben?"

Ben didn't answer. He agreed that Ms. Williams needed a proper ride, and he would have offered her a new mare on his own if the boys hadn't decided to do it first.

He took his seat at the opposite end of the table from the enigmatic school teacher. He couldn't bring himself to look at her. He was still confused from the conversation earlier.

"If you feel well enough in the morning, we'll head to town," Ben said. Not because he was eager to be rid of her but because he knew it was expected of him.

Luke cheered, "Yes!"

"Don't get too excited," Noah warned, "the candy shop might see you coming and close up early."

"They wouldn't," Luek said with a happy shake of his head, "Nope, they'd open up for me!"

"Their biggest customer," Jesse murmured.

She put her head down a little to hide her laughter... How Luke and Noah went at each other about every little thing and then, Jesse chiming in with his own little rig under his breathe... well, it was just really funny to her as she said. "Well, isn't that the reason to go to town... you always have to get a treat or else there's really no reason to go?" She was smiling as she sat there at the table waiting for them all to settle down before there was a slight call for all of them to be quiet and bow their heads. It was Kate who started. "Bless us, O lord... with these thy gifts..." She started going on with the pray... it was a quick one but the best one for a meal as she finished with, "Amen."

Looking up, everyone start digging into the shepherds pie. "Why are there some useless mares?" She asked curiously thinking of the horse that was not really hers but she being an animal lover was curious to learn a little more about the horses. She glanced at Ben who was not looking at her. Probably still pissed at her... whatever.

"Because Ben is a big-" Luke started.

Noah interrupted quickly, "-softie!"

"-bleeding heart." Jesse said at the same time.

The two boys shared a look and matching grins.

Ben glanced up, a long suffering look on his face, "I don't see the point of killing them just because they can't work."

"Yeah, whatever Ben. Truth is he just can't stand killing things. He won't even hunt," Noah said to Kate in a conspiratorial tone.

"When we run out of food in the winter it's Noah and Jesse who have to do the hunting," Luke shoved a mouthful of shepherd's pie into his mouth.

"So basically any old mare, any old cow, any old sow, any old anything that would be put down gets brought here to the Yearning Steer instead and Ben lets it eat up all our hay so it doesn't have to die," Noah grinned.

Ben could feel his cheeks heating with a blush. Maybe he shouldn't be embarrassed by all this but somehow he was.

Her brows were knitted together as she said, "Are you trying to make your brother feel bad because he doesn't want to kill an animal?" She asked them as one of her eyebrow raised and she went on to say, "That's actually kind of nice..." She said softly as she looked down at her meal and was eating a little slowly. "I mean, I know animals are food sometimes for humans but I still don't like the idea of killing them. I tried going vegetarian for awhile..." She said as she looked up. "didn't work... some animals are going to be dead and I think it's better to eat them then to let them go to waste..." She paused. "Still, kind of a jerk move trying to berate your brother in front of company."

She shrugged her shoulders not trying to defend him but in a way... she was.

"Nice to know that Buttercup is going to be happy here at the Yearning Steer..." She paused. "How did you get the name of the Ranch?" It sounded like a lame romance novel but she didn't say that part of her thoughts as she was trying to change the subject,

Despite not fully understanding everything she said - vegetarian?, the boys were suitably chastised. There was a long, awkward silence after her reprimand, three heads dropping as the boys picked at their food.

Ben was surprised at her defense, but also rather touched by it. So she had spirit? He liked that. Then she was expertly changing the subject and he admired that. He wished he was so good with words.

"Our mother named it," Luke said, eager to move to a new topic.

"She used to call our pa a Yearning Steer," Noah said with a grin, "so when he bought this ranch that's the name she wanted to give it."

"Stupid name," Jesse murmured.

"She didn't want to live on a ranch," Luke said, "but she loved pa so much she couldn't say no when he wanted to move her out here."

"She was from the city too," Noah explained, "and she met pa when he was visiting family. They courted for a week and were married by the end of it."

"Ma used to say she knew from hello that he was going to be her husband," Luke smiled at the memory.

It wasn't uncommon to hear such stories. Long courtships were the rarity, not the norm.

Sitting there, she watched as the three younger brothers put their heads down and she did not feel bad for a moment... it was a bit rude of her but really, they were trying to tease their brother about something that was nothing to be embarrassed about. However, they were on another topic since the silence was a little awkward. She hadn't done anything wrong... they had and they knew it.

"Well, it is a little bit of an interesting name... the idea is sweet... kind of romantic." She said with a smile before eating a little more of the Shepard's pie. And it was true that she thought it was romantic but the idea of knowing who your husband was going to be at Hello... Well, the was beyond her... it seemed unreal to her.

"I know people who have said that, however... I have never met anyone who was able to pinpoint that they were going to marry someone as soon as they met them. It seems kind of sweet." She thought of Mark... she had hated them when they first met but it slowly changed as she had thought he was an arrogant ass... the thing was that. Mark was but she had come to like that about him.

It was a pity that he was not in love with her. They were suppose to get married but then one night, he said that he didn't love her anymore and she being full of pride refused to marry a man who did not love her... he was in love with another. He just had the decency to call off the wedding and their relationship before pursuing another.

They were still acquaintances but that was it.

Perhaps, she would use their story as the story of her husband... it wasn't lying. It was not like Mark was alive... or even born yet.

"It's not complicated," Noah said around a mouthful of food, "meet a girl, she's single, you're single, marry her."

"It's a bit more complicated than that," Jesse said with a shake of his head, "Some people believe in love."

"Our parents did," Luke said firmly.

See, this is why she made Ben so uncomfortable. His parents had known from the first moment they spoke to each other and he was starting to feel a bit like Ms. Williams might be his 'one'. And that frightened him in a way. He pushed his chair back, plate only half empty and without a word walked out. His brothers watched him leave, he could feel their eyes on his back but he just couldn't. Not right now. He grabbed his hat on the way out, the front door closing firmly behind him.

Noah whistled softly, "Wow, what was that?"

Jesse pushed his chair back and got to his feet, "Excuse me, Ms. Williams."

He went after Ben, determined to figure out just what the hell had gotten into his brother.

Luke grimaced, "Sorry," he said to Kate, "he uh... he took the death of our parents really hard. I think maybe the subject just upset him."

"He's just..." noah shook his head, "How can someone be so tough and so weak at the same time?"

She agreed with Jesse because love was always complicated. Her own loves had been complicated. "It's complicated." She said with a smile but when Ben stood up, she watched him. She was a little confused why he was upset? Was he upset at her from before? Good lord, hell knows no fury than a man's pride. She swallowed but didn't say anything as she picked at her food a little. "Uh... sure, not problem..." She was feeling a little guilty... she didn't know why...

When Luke apologized for his brother and said that the reason was because of the death of their parents. And a feeling of relief but also a little bit of shame... 'Everything is not about you, Katie.' She thought to herself as she said, "Oh... you don't have to apologize. I am just sorry that your brother got upset. It was not my intention..." She smiled as if to say that it was alright. "I don't think missing someone and grieving for someone is weakness." She said softly. "We all grieve differently..." She said in a low voice as she was thinking of her own story... she was in the past and she didn't know how to get back.

Shouldn't she be grieving?

"You really like Ben, don't you?" Luke asked, eyes bright with mischief, "You keep defending him."

"Maybe, unlike you, she's just a nice person," Noah muttered.

"I'm nice!" Luke protested.

Outside Ben walked the length of the fenceline and was on his way back when he spotted Jesse sitting on the top rail about half way down. Jesse had followed for a bit before jumping up and waiting. "What's the problem?" Jesse asked as Ben drew near. "Bit rude to walk out like that."

Ben shook his head, "Don't... don't know how to talk to her. Don't know what to say..."

Jesse blinked hard, "Ms. Williams?"

"Thinking about ma, pa... how they knew, right from the start and... maybe I feel that way. But even if I do, it doesn't mean much if I can't figure out how to talk to her and dammit, Jess, it's like she's speaking another language half the time and we don't have nothin' in common and what am I supposed to do?" Ben rattled off, his customary shyness not an issue since this was his brother.

Jesse listened, his grin widening with each befuddled word.

"You like her!" He said with a laugh.

Ben fixed him with a withering glare and Jesse raised his hands, still laughing he said; "Right, right, okay, listen here's what you do..."

Some time later Ben and Jesse returned to the house. By the time they did Noah and Luke had cleaned the table and dished out pie, leaving the smallest pieces possible for Ben and Jesse. While the oldest two were gone they'd filled Kate's ear with bickering, stories of the early years of the ranch and more bickering but they both grew silent as Jesse and Ben walked in.

Kate looked at Luke for a moment when he said that she liked Ben. What was this? Grade school? She half expected them to start singing 'Ben and Katie sitting in a tree... K-I-S-S-I-N-G!' She gave him a strange look for a moment before saying. "Yes, I like him... I like all of you just fine. I just think that the two of you sometimes tended to get a little loud in your opinions." She smiled with a look in her eye that said that she knew that she was right. "Not a bad thing... I just have empathy... like Noah said, I'm nice." She pointed out as she stuck out her tongue instinctively.

The next ten or fifteen minutes was talking to Noah and Luke about a bunch of topics as well as endearing stories. "Must be a great place to have grown up..." She said as she said, "Did you want me to read again this event... I can look for something a little for interesting like the Swiss Family Robinson or Robinson Crusoe?" She suggested. "I will go look at the books." She said as they finished cleaning the table and she was in the kitchen about to go to the living room when Ben and Jesse came in.

"I was thinking of reading again tonight if you are not too tired?"

Those books sounded far more interesting, but, of course, her suggestions caused an immediate argument.

"Swiss Family Robinson!" Luke said.

"No! Robinson Crusoe. Why do we have to read about family? We /are/ a family?" Noah protested.

Their voices carried out into the living room.

Ben and Jesse removed their hats like two carefully trained professional hat removers. Jesse smiled, rather enigmatically, before shrugging, "I'm a bit tired, don't think Ben is."

He took the stairs two at a time, disappearing into his room in seconds.

Ben sent a sharp look after his brother, but then nodded to Ms. Williams, "That would be nice."

And of course, despite Jesse's advice he could already feel his throat closing up. How the hell was he supposed to do any of the things Jesse suggested?

She could hear Noah and Luke arguing about which book to read... There were a lot of books to read, so many that it was strange that none of these boys could read... Well, save for Luke but reading took practice and she had not seen him read much yet. She did not know his skill level or his reading comprehension. Both books were very interesting and exciting, one simply had more people. Well, she would let them argue amongst themselves.

"Well, have a good night then." She said to Jesse who was already going up the stairs leaving her alone with Ben. "You aren't upset with me from my teasing earlier?" She asked him in a soft voice. "I didn't mean to upset you." She looked away for a moment as a bit of a blush was on her cheeks.

"I should pick a book or else there's going to be a full blown fight between your brothers." She said with a laugh.

"How did you know?" Ben asked, managing to get the words out through sheer force of will, "That I had a crush?"

/Be honest. Just tell her what you're thinking. Stop being all up in your head. She can't read you like we can, and hell, we can barely read you and we've known you all our lives. Just open your goddamn mouth and speak. That's what you do./ Had been Jesse's advice. So very helpful - except, not really because it didn't take away his shyness, it just made him feel even more intimidated.

The next part about picking a book tumbled out of her lips and at first he thought maybe she hadn't heard him? He had said it rather quietly.

He had no time to figure out how to repeat himself before Noah and Luke tumbled into the living room, half wrestling as they did. They were like puppies... overly excited, constantly nipping and playing puppies and they had the absolute worst timing.

She paused for a moment at the bookcase as she looked over her shoulder and said, "You have a crush on me?" Her hazel eyes were wide as she stared and she was about to say something when Noah and Luke had come tumbling into the room wrestling each other. It was not perfect timing of anything it was poor time because now there was this question between herself and Ben.

Good lord, she only knew him a little over a day. Well, to be fair... Crushes could form. However, this was 1867. People did not just date... They courted and then got married soon after. Right?

Well, she could not answer him now as she stared at the brother on the floor, one called out Robinson Crusoe and the other Swiss Family Robinson. "Well, it will be Jane Eyre again if you two don't come to an agreement and stop fighting." Kate was a school teacher and knew how to deal with children and sometimes adults acting like children.

She stood there with a disappointed look on her face at the two of them, her arms crossed.

They detangled, getting to their feet and saying as one: Swiss Family Robinson. Because Noah figured it was better to read that than Jane Eyre. He didn't know what Jane Eyre was really but he figured it sounded dull. He headed for the couch, dropping down and grunting as Luke slid into the spot directly beside him. God the kid was annoying. But then, as he looked up, he noticed a curious flush on Ben's cheeks and he had noticed the tension in the room when he walked in. What the heck was going on anyway?

She hadn't known? Ben cursed himself for asking. She hadn't known! She had been joking. A weird joke to be sure but a joke. Shit. He sat himself in a chair farthest from what he now thought of as 'Ms. Williams' chair. Shitshitshitshit.

He felt like an idiot. He shouldn't have said anything. He should have just ignored Jesse and gone on about his life. Women were a complication. Women were strange, other wordly creatures and he just wasn't equipped to deal with them which is why he'd avoided them as much as possible, as often as possible...

Truth be told he thought a large part of his interest in Ms. Williams came from her striking similarities to his mother. She had all the qualities he'd secretly wanted for his own wife, if he ever claimed a wife... except for the weird tangents she went on that flew right over his head. He could see her raising good, intelligent but well mannered children. Unlike these boys who were half ruined because of his rearing.

She didn't know how she was going to tell him that she liked him too... well, should she? She thought that he was hot but she doubted that they used it in that reference back then. Well, she supposed that she could talk like the people in Gone with the Wind. However, it had been so damn long since she had seen that movie. She went to pick out Swiss Family Robinson off the shelf and went to sit down in the chair that she had the night before.

Her mind and inner turmoil rested a bit as she looked at the three brothers and smiled. "Swiss Family Robinson, by Johann David Wyss." She started before reading a bit of the first chapter.

"For many days we had been tempest-tossed. Six times had the darkness closed over a wild and terrific scene, and returning light as often brought but renewed distress, for the raging storm increased in fury until on the seventh day all hope was lost.

We were driven completely out of our course; no conjecture could be formed as to our whereabouts. The crew had lost heart, and were utterly exhausted by incessant labour. The riven masts had gone by the board, leaks had been sprung in every direction, and the water, which rushed in, gained upon us rapidly.

Instead of reckless oaths, the seamen now uttered frantic cries to God for mercy, mingled with strange and often ludicrous vows, to be performed should deliverance be granted. Every man on board alternately commended his soul to his Creator, and strove to bethink himself of some means of saving his life.

My heart sank as I looked round upon my family in the midst of these horrors. Our four young sons were overpowered by terror. 'Dear children,' said I, 'if the Lord will, He can save us even from this fearful peril; if not, let us calmly yield our lives into His hand, and think of the joy and blessedness of finding ourselves for ever and ever united in that happy home above. Even death is not too bitter, when it does not separate those who love one another.'

At these words my weeping wife looked bravely up, and, as the boys clustered round her, she began to cheer and encourage them with calm and loving words. I rejoiced to see her fortitude, though my heart was ready to break as I gazed on my dear ones."

She read for a little while longer... this story being a lot more interesting then Jane Eyre. It was another hour and a half when she looked up and said, "Another chapter?"

"Yes!" Noah and Luke exclaimed together.

Ben rested his head against his hand. Honestly he hadn't heard word, he'd been too busy just listening to the sound of her voice, watching the way her lips moved as she spoke. It was almost as if she were vocally caressing each word, cherishing it like a dear old friend.

It didn't occur to him that his intense staring might make her uncomfortable, honestly he didn't think she would even notice. She was so engrossed in the book why would she bother to notice him?

He hated the thought of taking her back tomorrow but he didn't know any way to keep her here without it seeming strange. She was better. That slight bump to the head she'd endured after being thrown was obviously all healed up. She was moving without difficulty, speaking without slurring... there was no reason she shouldn't ride into town.

/Dammit./

She smiled at Luke and Noah and said, "Well, perhaps... we ought to ask your brother as well as her eyes glanced at Ben before saying. "You look like you are about to fall asleep... do you want to continue with the story?" She paused as she waited for his answer. "We could always continue tomorrow night since the Doctor said that he was going to check on me the day after tomorrow." She mentioned as she looked around for a moment. "Do you have a book mark?" She asked wanting to know which page to go to when they returned to it.

Yawning, Kate thought that she was a little too tired to continue as well.

He wanted to tell her to keep going, but, as usual, his tongue froze on him and by the time he thought he might be able to speak she was already looking for a book mark.

Luke produced a turkey feather, "This is what mom used," he explained as he handed it to her.

"Where did you get that?" Noah asked curiously.

"Nevermind."

But Noah was already trying to search under the chair cushions.

"Right," Ben said, rising from his seat, "You two, out."

They didn't protest, heading up the stairs together, Noah bugging Luke about the feather and Luke still refusing to say where he'd pulled it out from. In moments Ben was again alone with Ms. Williams and once more was feeling tongue tied.

He'd already messed up once. He didn't think he cared to mess up again. Not tonight anyway.

"Do you need help up the stairs?" he asked quietly.

She didn't really need help up the stairs but she decided to pretend like she could so that she could perhaps talk to him. It's not like they got much time alone, after all. God, she was being ridiculous... maybe, she was over thinking this? Closing the book over the turkey feather, she put it aside and slowly rose before saying good night to both Luke and Noah.

“Yes, I think I might need a little help getting up the stairs.” She lied as she smiled. Once the boys were up the stairs, Kate said quickly. “I... well...” She looked a little nervous, feeling like she was in middle school again. “I think you are handsome... like really hot even.” She started. “I mean, I would totally kiss you right now but I only just came to this town... and with the talk of marriage and having been married... and... oh, I am making a mess of this, aren't I?” She looked up at him for a moment.

“I like you as well... but I think that I need to be a teacher for the community.” She said to him as she thought about how she also needed to go home to her own time or figure that out. “I'm sorry...” Kate said softly.

Ben, once again, found himself completely lost. First she was calling him handsome, then hot? was it because he was so sweaty? Then she was talking about kissing him and he might have, except then she was apologizing and was that her way of saying she wasn't interested?

And in that moment he decided to take her up on her offer... because, he really had no idea what she was talking about and honestly maybe kissing /was/ the answer.

Before he could second guess the decision, he bent down, ever so delicately cupped her neck in his hand and pressed his lips to hers.

Back
Top Bottom