Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Yearning Steer (Penner and AR)

She looked up at him for a moment and squinted at him. "No... They just hit me and then took my horse! No... They did not... Ummm... They did not touch me like that!" She protested. "I mean, what they did was vile but not quite that vile!" She said as she rested her head again. "It was after that was the worst... I was out in the middle of nowhere for three days and I walked and walked before I couldn't walk anymore." She explained. "And that was when the Indians found me and helped me." She explained to him.

"I still feel tender from the attack by the bandits... I don't know if I will ever see them... Their faces were called covered but I would know their voices anywhere..."

---

"You should move some of your things and then I can get some sheets and make the bed for the two of us... Suppose that we will need things for the baby but we can worry about that later. We will just get a nice sitting area, a dining room... And books would be nice too perhaps..." She could read after all. "What do you think we might need for this house to become our home?" She asked him curiously.

She would need to start knitting things for winter perhaps too.

Eric ran his hand down her side, an unconscious gesture of comfort, but then realized what he'd done and his hand stilled on her hip. "I will find these men, and make them pay. I promise you, Ms. Matthews..."

He coughed, "So uh... what about your husband then? Why hasn't he been looking for you?"

Jesse coughed, "I... uh... yes, those things you said..."

He had no idea what made a home. A bed was all he needed. But as he looked around this small space he thought of his childhood home, and of the Wilson's, who had so kindly taken him in. "A rocking chair," he said softly.

All mothers needed rocking chairs.

She was quiet as his hand gently caressed down her side... it had been the first time that she had ever been touched by a man like that as she swallowed a little. "I am sure that you will, Sheriff." She said softly to him as she sighed. "I'm not married..." She said softly as she thought about her sweetheart who had died so valiantly during the war a few years before. "My fiancee fought in the war and died four years ago." She said seriously as she leaned against him. "So, no one was looking for me... well, my parents and my sister would have if they had gotten a message that I had not arrived at the expected time. Although, I did send them a telegram when I left St. Louis and crossed the Mississippi." She said softly. "They are probably worried..."

---

She looked over to him for a moment and smiled at him. "Well, we are in luck." She said softly because she had her mother's rocking chair. It had been one of the things that she had made sure to move it with her when she had become an orphan. "I have my Mother's rocking chair." She said as she thought about it in the house. "It's in my hut with a few other things." She said as she went over to him.

"I think I have a lot of work ahead of me..." She said softly. "Ahead of us..."

The snort that escaped Eric was totally unintended. "That vixen," he murmured, "She claims to have lost her husband in the war... it seems as if she has truly stolen your life. In more ways than one."

He was warmer now, and he could feel that she wasn't shivering as she had been so he pulled his arm from around her. The fire burned hot, and outside the wind had given way to rain. A steady, hard rain that pounded on the roof and revealed cracks through which droplets fell through, wetting the floor. It hardly mattered, not enough for Eric to want and find some way to block the holes. They would only be here until the storm settled.

"I fear she has her eyes set on Ben Wilson. I suspect her goal was to marry him before anyone could learn of her deception. Damn... I knew it. I knew there was something strange about her. I should have trusted my instinct."

Jesse couldn't stop himself from reaching up to touch her cheek. "Us," he said firmly, "It's not you or me anymore, it's us."

He lowered his hand, clearing his throat, "Let's move as much as we can before the storm hits. Tomorrow will be... busy."

They would have to travel to town for the wedding and that would take much of the day. After that, no doubt, the ranch hands and maybe even Ben would insist they spend the evening together... here... so it was best to have everything ready before then.

She wondered how anyone could know that she had lost her sweetheart. "I don't know how those who took my things would know that... I suppose that they read my journal perhaps?" She suggested. "Although, I would not doubt her on losing a husband... many men died." She said softly. "I do not know her story after all but I would like to know why she took my life."

Catherine sighed as she said, "Why does she had her eyes on Mr. Wilson?" She did not know this man. "Is there a reason for this?"
Truly, she was curious about all of this and his side. "What made you suspect that she was not all that she seems?" She wanted to know all about this woman.

---

Susan nodded with a small smile as she leaned into his hand a little. "Yes... us. It is us from now on." She agreed with him as she said. "Well, let us go bring some of the stuff to our home." She said as she took his hand into hers.

"Ben is one of the richest men in the state. He owns a sprawling ranch not far from here. Women have been pursuing him for years. It's really not surprising that one would go to such... extraordinary lengths to trick him." Eric said, "In fact, it's the only explanation that even sort of makes sense."

He considered the next question a moment before answering, "It's a hard thing to explain. She's just.. strange. I think you'll understand more when you meet her."

They managed to move the rocking chair and her things before the storm rolled up. Jesse pulled Susan into the main house, where Ben and Luke were already gathered in the living room. A fire burned hot in the fireplace. Luke's lips drew back in a tired kind of smile at the sight of Susan, "Hello."

Jesse led her to a chair and pushed her down before hurrying up the stairs to find her a blanket. She'd gotten wet on their way to the house.

Ben watched his brother rush up the stairs. After a moment he focused on Susan, "Are you all right?"

How could he just say that she was just... strange. What did that even mean... was she like another colour or did she talk funny? "That just does not make any sense to say that she is just strange... I don't know what that means when you say it... How is she strange?" The man was not making any sense... Catherine thought got a moment. "So, she is a woman who is looking for a rich husband. Well, that is not surprising..." She said simply. "Of course, a woman wants a man that she knows will take care of her... Has she seduced him?" Was this woman a temperess her was tarnishing her good name? Well, now... she was worried. "I do not know how to feel about this woman who is making a mockery of my name..." She said softly.

"It's really concerning... is she a tart or something of the sort?" She asked curiously... although, she also wanted to give her the benefit of the doubt as well. She would meet her and make her judgement.

It was not like the fool could tell her much.

---

Susan was sitting on the chair and looking perplexed as she was a little wet but certainly not soaking wetting. Susan nodded as she said, "I am fine..." She said softly wondering why Jesse had suddenly made her sit down and was up the stairs. "We were only moving some of my items to the guest house." She explained with a shy look as she glanced at Luke who was smiling at her. "I ought to have gone to my own place at least until tomorrow." She said as she was going to get up but Jesse was back from up the stairs.

It was strange because she did not quite feel like she belonged... however, this was her new family. She would have brothers in law and would have a sister in law as well.

"I just... can't explain it," Eric said, "you really do need to see for yourself to understand."

Although if the woman met Ms. Matthews and suspected the truth that could ruin everything. The real question now was, had Kate known about Ms. Matthews and cooperated with the bandits, or had she merely taken advantage of the situation when the bandits stole Ms. Matthews things. Had they abandoned her clothes and horse when they realized it held little worth for them?

There were just so many unanswered questions.

"I have no idea. I, Ms. Matthews, am a gentleman and would never notice such things about a woman," Eric said with feigned insult.

In truth Kate was more flirtatious than most women. It had seemed an innocent sort of thing before but now it made him wonder. He was second guessing every interaction he'd had with her, examining every moment.

Jesse lay the blanket over her lap before moving to sit nearby. It felt awkward with the three of them. Ben and Jesse weren't talkers. It was always Luke and Noah who brought noise into the home but with Luke being so depressed everything had gone silent and it felt so wrong.

Luke sighed, smile faltering, "So... you're getting married tomorrow."

"Luke," Ben said with a shake of his head. He knew the girl was scared and didn't want to stress her further.

"All right, fine, how do you like the guest house? Is it ready?"

"It needs some work," Jesse said with a shrug, "but it will do."

She looked up at him with a raised eyebrow and a roll of her eyes. "Ummmhmmm..." She certainly did not believe him in the least as she looked by at the fire once again. She was quiet and thinking about the entire situation as she wondered about this other her. Did she look like her? Most likely was a lot prettier... not that it really mattered. She had taken her life from her and that was an odd feeling that someone was pretending to be her. Why was she going this? Was it a bit of fun or because she needed to? It was so strange...

"I don't think you cannot explain things, only that you do not want to... Tell me of your interactions? How do they different from ours?" Now, she was instructing to get more information. It was not as if she had anything else to do and it got her mind off how close they were."

---

She was about to answer Luke since the silence was weighting on her as she was sitting there with her new family. "Well, yes... Jesse and myself are getting married tomorrow." She said softly as she smiled a little to try to ease the tension. "Uh... and the guest house is very nice... it's really more than I ever expected." She mentioned to them. "Thank you." She wondered what she could say to make this a little better. She knew that Mary was working in the kitchen preparing summer and she really wanted to go and help. At least, she would be busy with her hands... and knowing that she was doing something instead of sitting her by the fire feeling awkward.

"We moved all of my things in there except for a few things from my home so I would be able to sleep there for the night." She hoped... the silence was killing her. At least, it won't be so bad when Ms Williams came... she would at least be the one talking since she never seemed to be quiet. Which, Susan would appreciate.

Eric chuckled, "You're a persistent woman, aren't you?"

Actually, her stubborn refusal to accept his response amused him. It wasn't something he was necessarily used to with the women he met on a day to day basis.

"It's just, she doesn't seem to know how the world works. She speaks in ways that make no sense. She has the mouth of a whore, but the bearing of a lady. It always struck me as odd."

There was more but he really couldn't describe it in words. It was something she would need to see.

"Ah..." Luke hesitated, "are you okay with all this?"

"Luke!" Ben scolded.

"I"m just asking! I mean, she is carrying Noah's kid, not Jesse's. Don't know about her, but I'd be a bit -"

"Luke!" Ben and Jesse snapped together this time.

Luke lowered his gaze, "... fine."

"Why don't you read to us? The storm will last a while. It will give us something to do at least," Jesse suggested, looking at Luke. He didn't know if Susan could read but he wouldn't ask her like this, putting her on the spot in front of his brothers.

She frowned a little as she said, "I have been called that before... as well as stubborn and bossy." She said quietly. "My fiancee liked that about me but most men think that is an annoyance of sorts." She mentioned to him. "Do you suppose that she is running from something?" Catherine said, "I have heard stories of women who had lived a less than honourable lives because of circumstances." She was empathizing with a woman that she did not know. "Perhaps that is why she took my name when she had word of a woman who was suppose to be here and never arrived?" She said thinking that perhaps the mouth of a whore was that reasoning and the bearing of a lady. Had this unknown woman been a whore and wanted a fresh start...

It would make some sense.

---

Susan was going to answer but Ben and Jesse yelled at Luke as she was looking at him. He was only a year younger than herself. "I... I will answer that." She said softly. "I am nervous and saddened by the last few days. I... I thought it would be best if I left here." Susan swallowed. "However, it was uh... Mr. Wilson... Benjamin." She hesitated using his name of her former employer. "He offered to marry me for the sake of my honour..." She felt like it needed to be said. "And it was Jesse who wanted to marry me instead. It's overwhelming and I feel like I don't deserve this..." She looked down. "I don't deserve this kindness... but it was Jesse who said that it's no longer about me but about us... and I think it will take time but we will be alright..."

She looked up, "I think that there is a wound in my heart... maybe yours as well that needs to be healed..." She looked at the book shelf as she hesitated. "I can read too..." She said softly feeling like her little string of words had been stupid.

Eric looked down at Catherine. He was completely bewildered by her reasoning. She was trying so hard to understand the impostor. In truth it was kind of sweet the way she was trying to come up with reasons why the woman would have done what she did. "You are a kind soul, Ms. Matthews," he said softly.

Suddenly, perhaps because of the light of the fire, or because of his exhaustion, it struck him how pretty she was. Not conventionally, but pretty nonetheless.

Luke smiled at Susan's response. He liked her. "Let her read," he said.

Jesse claimed a book, the same book Kate had been reading to them, and he handed it to Susan before sitting near her.

The storm didn't let out. It raged for hours. Finally, late in the evening, when they were all too tired to stay up any longer, Ben suggested that Susan sleep in Luke's room, and Luke in Noah's. Of course Susan knew the way but Jesse insisted on walking her up the stairs to Luke's room.

They didn't want her running across the yard in this diluge, so any protests would be quickly shot down.

She really did not know what to say to that compliment other than a very sincere, "Thank you, Sheriff." She whispered as she said, "We ought to go to sleep soon since this storm does not seem to let up." Catherine mentioned as her mind was on this impostor of a woman and who exactly she was. Well, that was certainly something that she would find out the next day when she would arrive in the town of Pawnee and meet this other woman. However, for now... she had to think of trying to stay warm as she was hauled up beside the Sheriff.

She did hope that he would have digression after this encounter and would not speak of it ever again.

---

The evening had been kind of nice... warm and she had felt invited into this family. Something that she had truly wanted... of course, not under these circumstances. Susan thought that Jesse was being a bit silly walking her to Luke's room that evening but had let him anyways. After all, she was still a little shocked by his revelation earlier in the day that he had been waiting for her to be finished with Noah because he had had a crush on her.

There was a part of her that wondered why he simply never said anything but then, there was also the fact that she loved Noah. She would always love him and him being gone... well, there was a bit of guilt that she would not mention. After all, he had said that she had nothing to feel guilt over...

And yet, it was still there. Walking up the stairs with Jesse, it was only a few short paces to Luke's room as she stood outside the doorway. "Thank you, Jesse." She whispered to him before turning slightly to go into the bedroom so that she could perhaps sleep.

"Are you cold?" Eric asked, "It's not going to be comfortable sleeping on the floor... I think it's warm enough to move to the bed."

The bed consisted of a wooden frame and straw mattress but it would still be comfortable than sleeping where they sat. It would colder, which would mean they would have to remain curled together, but at least they'd have some chance of resting.

Outside the storm howled, and to Eric it seemed obvious it wouldn't be over anytime soon.

Jesse caught her hand and pulled her back before she could disappear. He pulled her into his arms and kissed the top of her head. For a moment he just held her, then, reluctantly, he let her go.

"Good night, Susan."

He backed away, edging toward his room. He didn't want to leave her, but he knew he had to.

Tomorrow, however, they would be married and there was only one bed in their new home. Of course he wouldn't force her into anything but at the very least he could sleep with her near.

He retreated to his room, inside he found Luke sitting on the edge of his bed and he knew, without asking, that his little brother would be spending the night and he knew why. It would be too hard for Luke to sleep in Noah's room. Jesse grabbed a pillow and an extra blanket and stretched out on the floor, letting his younger brother claim the bed.

"Thanks, Jess." Luke said softly once the candle had been blown out and they lay in the dark, the storm continued to rage outside.

Jesse pretended not to hear.

Catherine was a bit nervous about the idea of sleeping on the bed with this man. Well, they would be sleeping. "As long as you don't do anything untoward to me." She said simply as she shivered a little. "And yes, it is a little cold still but I am more tired than cold." She explained to him as she looked up to him and then said. "We can move the bed so that it is closer to the fire." It would be chilly but she would be alright. After all, she had slept in a tent for the last month or so. They called them tee pees.

---

Susan nodded and said, "Good night..." She whispered to him before he left to go to his own room. She turned and went into Luke's room. It was a little messy as she sat on the bed and sighed. Tomorrow, she was going to be a married woman with her own home and... there was a baby in her. She swallowed as she closed her eyes for a moment feeling the familiar lump in her throat as she had tears in her eyes.

Noah was dead... it was a horrible feeling that the one that she loved was gone. There was a disbelief... everything did not seem real to her.

She fell asleep after crying for a little bit to herself as she curled under the blankets to settle herself for the evening.

---

Kate was in the schoolhouse the next morning tidying up and also making lesson plans since nothing was amiss that morning. She thought that she would do some visiting and then perhaps work a little more on her lessons... go for a horse ride to get Persephone out of her stable. Things like that... she certainly did not know that it was going to be her wedding day.

Eric nodded, he stood and moved to drag the bed over. He would not ask her to help, he was, after all, the man. Once the bed was closer to the fire he climbed onto it and gestured for her to join him. "Hurry, it's cold."

He was freezing after just that brief stint away from the fire. Their clothes were hung and in the morning would be dry but in the meantime they'd just have to find warmth in each other and that little blanket.

In the morning Ben, Jesse and Luke prepared the horses while leaving Susan to rest. They would leave when she woke but Jesse was uncomfortable with the idea of waking her so he'd convinced his brothers to wait for her to wake on her own.

Ben wasn't sure how Kate would react to their wedding happening today but he hoped he could convince her. He wanted her with him, now, not in a day or two days or a week. Life was too short to waste time, and he couldn't watch her, protect her if she was in town.

Besides which, he couldn't stop thinking about what they'd almost done the other day. Just thinking about it set his blood to boiling and his cheeks to flushing so he tried not to think about it.

She was now shivering as she went over to him when he was on the bed and waiting for her to join him. She did exactly what she had to do since it was cold. Crawling onto the bed she scooted herself close to the Sheriff as he moved himself a little closer to her and she laid herself down on the bed. She hoped that the blanket would be enough for the two of them that night. Although, she was too tired to really care at that time as she curled herself into him and closed her eyes. She hoped that she could get some sleep. "Sorry..." She muttered to him as she moved around a little to get herself comfortable.

---

Susan had needed to wash herself up and made sure that she was looking at least a little nice on her wedding day as she pinched her cheeks and also brushed her hair with the few things that she had brought with her from the guest house.

Once she was ready enough, she looked in the mirror and went to get herself outside for the ride into town. It was almost never when she rode into town and so, she was going to ride one of the more gentle mares towards Pawnee.

She greeted Jesse when she came out fairly early since she was usually up early for work and making breakfast.

It was just more comfortable to wrap his arms around her, so he did, carefully, keeping his hand on the mattress so his arm draped around her waist without touching anything important. It was awkward, in a way, but definitely more comfortable. She squirmed a bit, also adjusting her position and murmuring a soft 'sorry'.

Eric was no stranger to laying in bed with females. He'd had more than his share of bed partners, this shouldn't be so uncomfortable and yet somehow, it was. Mainly because they weren't lovers, this wasn't cuddling for the sake of cuddling... this was curling together out of necessity and he knew she would have never allowed it if not for the storm and drafty cabin. He breathed out slowly, forcing his nerves to calm.

"You have my word," he whispered, "when morning dawns, this never happened."

Jesse smiled when he saw Susan, "Are you ready?" He asked.

"Two weddings in one day," Luke shook his head, "This is just queer."

Jesse reached for Susan's hand so he could help her off the porch and lead her to her mare.

"I'm going to ride on ahead," Ben warned. Kate didn't know they were marrying today and he hoped to reach town before the others so he could warn her. He knew Susan and Jesse would travel at a more sedate pace so that would give him time to convince Kate, if she was hesitant.

"Can I come?" Luke asked.

"Yeah."

Ben mounted, waiting for Luke to climb up onto his mare before they both headed off.

"Watch the puddles," Jesse warned Susan.

She closed her eyes as she was trying to go to sleeping... a part of her wondering if she would even lay in a bed like this again but with her husband rather than a man that she did not know. She was a plain woman and so, there was not a lot of men would would pick her over a pretty young thing that had more grace and charm. Well, there would always be a hope that she would find a man who would love her. "Thank you, Sheriff." She said softly as she curled herself into him, willing herself to pretend that she was with a man that would marry her one day.

It was not low because she drifted off into sleep.

---

Susan nodded as she said, "I have to get a few things from my hut..." She had set aside a few things for her wedding like something old and something blue... she knew that the something new would be her dress and well, something borrowed as well as she pulled Jesse towards her little home as she rushed off towards it before she could go to her mare.

Once inside, she went to the bed and on it was a few of her things. She took her mother's necklace, a brooch that was blue before going back outside. "Sorry, I am ready now..." She whispered as she had watched for the puddles. She smiled before leaning up and pecking him on the cheek. "We should go now..." She whispered as she felt a blush... it was her wedding day and she wanted to be happy. It had been something that she had decided when she had finished up... she was ready to not be upset anymore.

---

She was going about visiting as she went to the little bake shop that Mrs. Rite was at... the woman seemed to know something that she did not as she went to visit the Pastor's wife... and a few of the other shops along with the students that were in town... She didn't know if it was just her but they were all smiling and asking her about Mr. Wilson and if the engagement would be a short or long one.

In the early hours of the morning, the sun woke him. He was still holding her, his head pressed to her back. It took him a long while to properly shake the heaviness of sleep away, but once he had he opened his eyes and pulled away, releasing her from his grasp as he slid off the side of the bed.

By the fire, now dwindled, their clothes were dry so he pulled his pants and shirt on and headed to the door so he could look out. The storm had been a doozy, but from what he could tell there was no major damage outside. No immediate signs of fires, no tree toppled on the barn, it was, all in all, a damp but calm morning.

Jesse helped Susan onto the mare before he mounted his own. He led her out of the yard, keeping to a slower pace so it would be easier on her. Already Ben and Luke were well out of sight.

"Are you nervous?" He asked.

He was. His hands trembled, but he didn't think she would notice. It wasn't because he was scared to wed her, but because he was worried she would regret this later. He didn't want that. He wanted her to want him the way he wanted her... and maybe she would, someday.

Once the other body left, she curled more into the blanket since she was feeling suddenly cold from the lack of a body that had kept her warm all night. Now, she was going to hog all of the blanket as she fell back to sleep for another twenty or so minutes. She did wake up about thirty minutes later as she slowly rose and looked around the old cabin. It took her a few moments to remember where she was exactly. Oh yes, she had slept in the same bed as a man...

She blushed at the thought before getting up to get herself dressed. No doubt, he was most likely waiting for her. It took her some time to get her clothing on along with getting her spectacles on as well. It also did not take her long to get out the door and into the damp air as she looked around. The rain would be good since there had been word of a bit of a drought this year. Catherine looked around a little and found the Sheriff as she went up to him and said, "Are we going then?" She seemed to be in a hurry but, she did not refer to the night before.

---

Looking over at Jesse as they were riding a a slow pace, she nodded and said. "Yes... I am nervous." Susan mentioned to him. "I'm nervous because I feel like I don't deserve this kindness from this family. I am nervous because I think that perhaps, you will regret this one day... and I know what you said before but... why did you want to wait for if I was finished with Noah. I know he didn't love me but... what if I was marrying him instead?" She asked him with a serious look before looking away.

Beggars could not be choosers... that is what she knew.

"I really shouldn't be bringing this up on your wedding day..." She said in a low tone. "I'm sorry..."

Susan looked down at the horn of the saddle as the horse moved. "I'm more afraid..." She said as she looked to Jesse. "However, I know that it is going to be alright because I am with you."

By the time Catherine emerged from the cabin, Eric had his horse brushed, saddled and ready. He nodded when he saw her, "Sorry, but I need to get you to town, then I need to hunt down Ben. He needs to know the truth. We're not telling anyone else though, understand? Just Ben, and only because she's got her sights on him and I need to stop her before she tricks him into a wedding or some nonsense."

She was rather cute with her hair a mess and her cheeks flushed from sleep.

He smiled, "Sleep well?"

"I wouldn't have said a word. You deserve to be with someone you love... and I suppose that can't happen now, not with the baby." Jesse wouldn't have tried to 'steal' her from Noah, even if Noah hadn't exactly been with her for the right reasons.

It was clear Noah had made her happy, even if only temporarily.

"And he was my brother... maybe if it was someone else I might have tried to catch your eye but... I couldn't. Not with Noah."

He felt his cheeks warm at her words. "You trust me?" He asked, surprised.

She was listening as she nodded a few times, "What if she loves him too..." She asked feeling a little empathetic for the other woman that she did not know. Perhaps, there had been a reason and there was a part of Catherine who was a hopeless romantic. "Don't look at me like that... she might be a liar but you don't know her story." She said with a shrug as she sighed. "Well enough, I suppose." She said primly but did not go into details since they were to pretend like the night before simply did not happen.

"Shall we? I am ready when you are." She mentioned to him as she pushed back her hair a little into the pins since she could not have her hair down.

---

"I might grow to love you, Jesse." She said softly to him wondering if he had lost hope. "I certainly know that I like you and I also trust you." He was a good man, she knew this and that he could be good to her. If anything, she was lucky in a sense. "I mean, I cannot say that it will be today or tomorrow but I only hope that you will give me time." Susan said as they rode towards the town at a bit of a slow pace. His two brothers being way in the distance.

---

Kate was on her horse and about to go for a little ride with Persephone when she saw that there were two riders coming towards the town. She could not see who it was but she did think to herself that it would be funny if it was Ben... but then, who was the second person? Could be one of his brothers.

He supposed being in the line of work he was in he had lost the ability to see the other side of a story. To him right was right and wrong was wrong and this Ms. Matthews woman was doing wrong by pretending to be someone she wasn't, and he couldn't shake the suspicion that she'd know what had happened to Katherine from the start, and to him that was unacceptable, no matter the reasons behind it.

He patted the saddle, "Need a hand up?"

He didn't answer the musings because he didn't want to argue with her and he had had enough experience with stubborn women to know she would argue if she knew what he was thinking.

"We have all the time in the world," Jesse said softly. Marriage, after all, would bind them for life. If she didn't come to love him, he hoped, at least, she would be comfortable. It would be a hellish sentence for her if she later realized she despised his company.

If nothing else they would have the child to bind them. That child was Noah's son and Jesse would love it and care for it, just as the Wilson's had loved and cared for him.

"Are you sure about this, Ben?" Luke asked as they rode into town. He glanced over at his brother, brow furrowed in a deep frown. They were just entering town limits, there wasn't much time to talk.

"Yes."

"Isn't it a bit fast?"

Ben didn't answer. Instead he pulled on the reins and headed in the direction of the schoolhouse.

Catherine nodded as she accepted the help from the Sheriff on his horse as she waited for him to get on the horse as well and they would be on their way to the village. According to him, it was going to take a bit of time to get to the town. Not that she could do anything about that...

"I am finally going to Pawnee... it seems like a miracle." She said softly as he adjusted himself on the horse.

---

Susan smiled at her husband to be before agreeing. "Yes, we have all the time in the world." She said in a low voice. She was going to be positive about this situation. There was a man who wanted to marry her and so, she would not be a single mother. At least, this child would have a father and this baby was lucky that it was Jesse... a man who was a good one. Susan knew that much.

---

She went back to the school house and quickly brushed down Persephone before going to school house since there was more work to be done. As she was about to sit down, there was a knock at the door and she blinked a few times before going to the door and opening it to see that Ben was there.

Smiling, Kate said. "Hello? In town for the wedding?" She asked meaning Jesse and Susan. "Where is Jesse and Susan?" She asked as she noticed that Luke was there as she waved. Did he still hate her for accepting Ben's proposal?

Back
Top Bottom