Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Yearning Steer (Penner and AR)

RE: Yearning Steer (Penner and AR) Random Western Titles.

Ben knew his ears were red and that most likely they would stay that way. He was glad for his hat at least, it would cover some of his obvious flushing. He nodded.

"Luke, tell the boys we're leaving soon."

Luke sighed, "Yes, Ben. See you Ms. Williams!"

Ben stepped off the boardwalk, holding out his hand to assist Kate. The step was quite deep and she had small legs and a wide skirt to impede her process, tough as she seemed, he was quite certain she'd need some help.

"We don't go to church," Ben revealed, "she doesn't much approve."

It was too much to run into town on Sunday just for church, especially since all the shops were closed that day. They came in on Fridays instead. Not only was Friday the day the coach came, but generally things were just busier in general.

"Bye Luke, I will see you soon for school?" She said with a smile as she raised her hand in goodbye for the moment before taking Ben's hand and stepping off the boardwalk and into the street to cross the road. "Thank you." She said as she walked with him towards the new school. "Well, it is a two hour ride there and back for an hour of God's message." She said softly so no one would hear. "I really don't blame you... as long as you are a good person that it shouldn't matter and well... you are a good person." She mentioned to him as she smiled.

"Mrs. Davis seems a little judgemental... and didn't Jesus say, Judge not lest he be judged?" She mentioned remembering Sunday school.

"So, I will expect a visit every Friday then?" She teased him.

Ben stared down at her, once again tongue tied by her forthright ways. He wished he could be so blunt.

"You..." he paused, "you're..."

Odd? But that was hurtful, perhaps. Strange? Also hurtful. Different? What word could he use to describe her that hopefully wouldn't insult her, and yet also express what he was feeling.

"Are quite blunt," he said finally.

But he liked it. It was unlike anything he was used to.

At the school house he opened the door for her, moving side so she could enter first, as any proper gentleman would.

"We come most Friday's, sometimes not," he said before following her inside.

He handed her the two packages that were hers. The one with the sewing kit and bits of candy, the other with the dress.

She stopped for a moment. She was blunt? That was not exactly a compliment... oh god, did he want her to be demure and ladylike because sometimes... well, she could be 'ladylike' but she was also outspoken and that wasn't going to change. "I'm blunt? Are you offended by my outspokenness?" She asked quiet as they went into the school house. She entered first as she went up the stairs and in the building. He opened the door for her like a gentleman.

"I suppose I just think that if you are in town then I would like to see you." She mentioned to him as she took the two packages. "Two packages..." She asked him. "There was only the sewing kit and sweets?"

Ben shook his head, "I'm not offended. I like it."

Because at least he knew exactly what she was thinking, and he liked how she put the boys in their place. He liked that while he was struggling to speak, she was covering the silence. The more time he spent with her, the more he thought maybe he'd eventually be okay talking too. He didn't think she would be judgmental, or rude, or mocking. Not that his silence came from fear of those reactions. He did want to impress her but he didn't think words were the only way to do that.

And of course she noticed the second package and he might have removed his hat since they were indoors but now he didn't dare.

In fact, he didn't want her opening it so before she could, he had closed the space between them, placed a finger under her chin to tilt her head and he kissed her. because really he'd been wanting to almost all day, and it seemed the best way to distract her from his gift.

She could feel her own face becoming a little red when he said that he was not offended but that he actually liked that she was blunt. "Oh..." That had taken the wind out of her sails as she watched him for a moment. "Well, good..." She said as she had the two packages on the table. "I mean..." She looked a little flustered as she wanted to open the second package. Is that why he paid... had he gotten her a gift?

However, before she could ask him anything... Ben has closed the gap between the two of them and almost expertly... his finger was under her chin and her head up as she looked at him. Oh... he was kissing her now. This had been something that she had wanted to do all day as well. She knew that he was going to have to take that long journey to the Yearning Steer and she might not see him for an entire week if not more.

Her arms lifted and wrapped around his neck as her feet 'popped' like it was described in The Princess Diaries. Kate was surely distracted now.

Jesse had given him advice the night before. To just speak, to just share his heart and his thoughts, to be open and honest with her. This was easier, and as far as he saw it, it was making it very clear to her where he stood, what he felt for her. Attraction, curiosity... more.

The packages fell from her fingers, a second later her arms had wrapped around his neck. She was short... too short, so he wrapped his arms around, and lifted her up. Backing her into the wall to pin her in place, so he could kiss her without breaking his neck. To him, she was easy to lift. Years of lifting and hauling and toning muscles had left him well prepared for these sort of things. Not that farm work was meant to prepare a man for ravishing a woman but it definitely had its perks.

He pulled away as hunger, a different ,new kind of hunger, clawed at his insides, threatening to make him black out, or lose control or something equally inappropriate. She was a lady, a school teacher for god's sake. He needed to be in control here.

He was still holding her up, one arm around her waist, the other braced against the wall near her head and he was loathe to let go.

The door was closed but not locked. Anyone could walk in on them. He had to let go.

/Let go, Ben.../

"What are you doing to me?" He asked.

The kiss was hot... but he was a tall man and she was shorter than him. She dropped those packages on the group. Something that she did not mean to do but she had wanted to wrap her arm around his neck and pull him just a little closer to her. However, the quiet shy cowboy took the kiss up to scorching as she was suddenly lifted, carried and pinned against the wall. And all in her mind, she was thinking 'Damn... Ben... damn.'

Her own hand was playing with his hair and tugging it a little. Not too hard but enough that it might be kind of hot.

Kate had half a mind to ask if he would bring her upstairs but she just kissed him back, her tongue pushing against him lips for a French kiss.

And then he stopped for a moment and she whimpered. "Kissing you..." She said as she did it again, her mind not on the unlocked door that could be easily opened.

He groaned as she kissed him again and this time he let her tongue explore his own. He was not unfamiliar with this particular form of kissing although he was a little surprised to learn she was so comfortable with it. Maybe she wasn't quite as innocent as he thought... or at least, as he was.

It wasn't right to treat her like this, to have her pushed up against the wall, to be manhandling her, but he couldn't seem to stop. Every bit of him ached for more, even if he didn't entirely understand what that 'more' was.

When he heard footsteps hit the small porch in the front of the school house he let her down, the sudden difference in height pulling them apart more surely than his self control could. He backed away, turning his back to the door just as it opened and good god... whoever it was... he wanted to kill them.

Noah blinked as he took in the very odd scene before him, Ben with his back to the door, Ms. Williams leaning against the wall, looking flushed. "Uh... Luke... said we were leaving. I came to say goodbye, Ms. Williams."

Kate wanted more as well but she knew exactly what more was... she was certainly not a virgin and being a war widow was suppose to cover up that fact. Not that it really mattered what anyone thought of her. Well, it seemed in this town that it did matter because they were not too polite to those who were considered scandalous. Wouldn't this be quite the scandal with her and Ben sneaking around like this. She took off his hat and tossed it so that she could feel his hair a bit more.

She had not heard the footsteps on the front porch, she was a little too busy getting 'manhandled' and hoping that he would not stop. Kate could appreciate a fine form of a man and damn, Ben was a quiet one but he was also the one who was kissing her like this. Maybe, she had unlocked something exciting. Suddenly, it was gone as she was dropped to the floor, her legs shaking as she looked up at Ben with a confused look as she tried to pat at her hair. That was when the visitor came in... and Kate was inwardly cursing at him.

Noah didn't know what he had walked in on but Kate was trying to look like she hadn't just had an incredibly hot moment as she was fanning herself a little. "Oh... the heat is always a bit much." She muttered a little before she smiled at Noah, trying to be as professional as she could be. "Oh... your brother was just saying his goodbyes as well." Her face was red as she looked down at Ben's hat on the ground and thought that he ought to pick that up.

A small part of her wanted to just say, 'Goodbye Noah.' And then he would leave, she could get one last goodbye kiss from Ben.

"Have a safe journey... the two of you. And thank you for all of the kindness and making sure that I got to town safe and sound. Lord knows, I would have been lost still if I hadn't come on your property." Kate laughed as she glanced at Ben.

Ben did retrieve his hat, a bit stiffly. Noah blinked, looking back and forth between them as the hat was replaced on Ben's head.

"Well, it was real nice having you," Noah said, "Uh... Ben?"

"A minute," Ben said gruffly, he wasn't quite sure he could walk just yet. Not without making his brother keenly aware of just how 'excited' he was. He rested his hands on his belt, avoiding looking at Kate or Noah.

Noah backed out, "Bye Ms. Williams!" He said again.

Ben sighed as the door closed.

"I should go," he said. Noah's interruption was a very stark reminder that they weren't alone, and this was not considered a 'private' place, necessarily. There were others who would pop in without knocking, just like Noah had.

He really didn't think he could walk away from her.

"I'll... uh... reading lessons. When should I come for those?" And like before he was already planning when and how he would see her again.

She could feel her cheeks on fire as she waved to Noah and then, they were alone again... but he had to leave and it is not as if she could bring him up to her room at this moment. Hell, she would if she could. "Yeah... probably. I just don't want you to leave." She said to him as she took a few steps towards him but not too close. "Well, how often will you be able to come into town for reading and writing lessons?" She asked him with a smile. "If it is once a week or once every two weeks then it won't be so bad. As long as you practice and when you are reading... if you don't know a word then you can look it up in the dictionary." She mentioned to him, something bubbling up inside of her.

"And we will have to actually learn... I mean, I would like it to be a kissing lesson too, however... you seem like you really wish to read." She said softly as she took another step to him. "Until we meet again..." She said hating to say good bye as she leaned up on the tips of her toes and kissed his cheek.

He would come every day if he could, but that wouldn't be an option. When she leaned up he half expected her to kiss him again, and she did... on the cheek. He let his hand fall on her waist, just for a brief touch, before he headed out.

He paused at the door, turning back to look at her.

What /was/ she doing to him? How had she made him like this so quickly? Maybe some time apart would clear his head...

He tipped his hat, "Good day, Ms. Williams," he murmured before hurrying out.

The heavy thud of his boots on the porch could be heard before he hit the dirt and continued on in relative silence.

The idea of not seeing him for a week or even possibly more had her heart sinking a little as she looked at the door with a heavy sigh. "What am I going to do?" She muttered to herself as she looked at the saddle bags and the two packages. They were still on the floor as she went over to them and picked them up. Well, that was something that she had not expected. The intense kissing and of course, she had not expected him paying for her. As a thank you? For what?

It was a sweet gesture as she decided that she was going to go bring them upstairs to her bedroom, that she had yet to see as she smiled and went towards the back of the school house to go up the stairs. She was going to locked the school house at night for obvious reasons but she knew that people would be visiting so it was left open for this day.

And people did visit including some of the mothers of the town who had heard that she was there and they had brought her food. Something that she needed... there was a wood stove at the back for heat and cooking for herself. A long with a little pantry that had been stocked by Mrs. Rite and some of the other ladies of the village. She was very grateful and felt very lucky for all that she had.

What she hadn't expected was that some of the gentleman callers would also be a bit excited about the arrival of a single woman on the Prairie.

---

It was about two nights after Ms. Williams had left that Susan was in her bed, laying on Noah's chest a little. Her hand moving up and down as she glanced up, the light from her one candle flickering as she whispered. "Noah..." Her voice low as she sighed. "I don't think that we should be doing this for much longer." She started as she swallowed a little. "I mean, I am putting my job and my reputation on the line and well, I know that you will never even think about marrying the help... and you are real sweet and I don't want to stop this but... I just think it's for the best." She bit her lip a little hoping that he would not get upset. She had been thinking about this for days.

By early evening Eric was so sick of seeing the steady stream of single men filing to the school house that he decided to pay a visit of his own, chasing off old man Brown, who for god's sake was too old to be pursuing a girl of Ms. Williams age anyway. He knocked on the school house door, respectful enough not to just barge in, especially since school wasn't in session yet.

He understood why the men were all so excited but good grief, the poor lady must be overwhelmed by all the attention. Maybe she would need some company to chase them away. He turned, glancing back and seeing a few men outside the saloon looking this way. He rested his hands on his hips, letting his fingers brush his sidearm. Oh, he was tempted, very tempted to give them a warning they wouldn't forget. Randy bastards.

Noah lay with his hands behind his head, relaxed and flush in the aftermath. He stiffened at her words.

"You want marriage?" He asked. For some reason he thought she was just the type of girl who wasn't interested in that sort of thing. He thought she just liked having a good time and why not with him? But she was looking to be married? To have kids? He'd never thought of her that way.

But she was right. They were getting closer and closer to being caught. Luke knew and sometimes he thought Jesse might, it would only take one slip of the tongue, or one more person finding out to ruin this whole thing.

Still, he didn't want to stop. She was fun, and just a jog from the house and he wasn't sure he wanted to live a life where he couldn't run over and... well. It just sounded dull.

"Susan, we don't have to stop. Nobody will find out... We're careful! And if you did find a guy to marry, I wouldn't tell. Not ever."

If his brother Ben could hear him he'd get the ass kicking of his life, but he couldn't seem to stop the words from coming out.

There was a lot of people curiously coming to visit her, she had not thought much of the men who were alone coming to visit because they wanted to court her. Mostly because, her heart seemed to be with one man who was about 20 miles from the town. She had made something to drink since she was having a few visitors and she did not want to be impolite to not have a glass of lemonade or something. She was so lucky to have a stocked pantry for some of these things... and there had been a few surprises in there.

Seeing off a mother with her two daughters, ages 8 and 10 who was going to be starting school come the end of August, Kate said. “I look forward to teach you, Natalie and Nancy.” She said as she waved them off with their mother who had brought her a loaf of bread. There was a lot of gifts to the new comer in town, she was going to have to organize everything after the supper hour because she was going to be organizing... well, there was tomorrow as well.

As she was on the porch of the school house, she said that there was an older man who was looking a bit upset and the Sheriff as she waved to him in greeting. He seemed friendly enough and well, she was not a complete fool. She knew that there was a bit of a reason why some of the men were curious... it was an age where men were in want of a wife? Right? No, that was Pride and Prejudice.

“Afternoon Sheriff... are you chasing away some of my visitors?” She asked bluntly.

-

Susan looked up at him as she said, “You are not cautious in the least...” She said with a furrowed brow. “And yes, I would like to get married one day... not to you. So, you don't have to worry about that.” She knew that she was a bit of fun. Moving to sit up, she huffed. “And it is not about that... it's about me not wanting to get caught. If I get caught... I am going to be fired and if I am lucky, your brother will write me a recommendation and give me enough money to move elsewhere.”

“You... if you can caught. A stern talking to and maybe a slap up side the head.” She frowned at Noah. “I will be ruined... and all because I am a silly girl who is lusting over a jerk who won't go to a saloon.” She brushed some of her hair from her eyes.

“And what if I got pregnant? What would you do?” She asked seriously as she sighed. “I like this bit of fun but... I don't think it can go on for much longer. I have a feeling that your brothers know...”

Eric smiled his most winning smile, "It's late and you've had a steady stream of randy bucks at your door for hours. Quite frankly, I'm tired of watching it, so yes, I did chase away your visitor but not to worry, he wasn't much of a visitor to begin with. So tell me, Ms. Williams, anyone caught your eye? Because I'm quite sure all the bachelors of the county have paraded by your door today and it seemed to me some were sticking around more than others."

It didn't for one moment occur to him that she would be interested in Ben. To him Ben was about as interesting as a piece of dirt. The guy could speak, but he didn't. Not around women. It was a well known fact and part of why half the town expected Mr. Wilson to remain a bachelor for life. There were some women in town who had tried to foist their daughters on Ben but it hadn't gone down well. He was, after all, one of the wealthiest men in the damn state, but his personality was enough to keep the women at bay.

As far as Eric knew, he was the next most eligible bachelor in town, but he wasn't interested in marrying. Or settling down or any of that nonsense. He just liked having his fun.

He tapped his fingers against his hips, "So, what say we have dinner together?" He suggested, "Bet you're mighty hungry after all this entertaining and I'm easy company, guaranteed no one else will come knocking while I'm visiting."

Noah ran his hands through his hair, sitting up after she did. "Right..."

He supposed he could go to the saloon, it just wouldn't be as convenient, or simple. He studied her features and knew she was serious.

He couldn't argue... his brothers /did/ know and it was only a matter of time before others figured it out.

"I'm going to miss you," he murmured, leaning in to kiss her cheek, "All of you..."

Kate thought about who exactly had caught her fancy and it was a surprising. It was a man who was very quiet but she had gotten to know better over a few days. She was thinking of when he had had her up against the wall and that kiss. What had she done to him indeed. "You seem awfully curious about the bachelors sticking about the school house, Sheriff." She said with a shrug, almost in a teasing way since she was a little curious.

The man was acting a little jealous, she wondered if Ben would act jealous if he knew. "As for a bachelor who had caught my fancy... Yes, one has." She would not say who it was because that was her business.

She had to wonder if the invitation to dinner had other motive as well. Kate thought about it and supposed that there was no harm in it. "I suppose... Are you the one cooking?" She asked with a smile. He had mentioned about her being mighty tired so, she had to wonder if he was the one who would be cooking.

-

Susan was frowning because she didn't really want to stop but from Noah's reaction. He never loved her and her heart ached a little. He just accepted that they were going to stop. And then when he kissed her cheek and said that he was going to miss her.

Well, Susan's stupid heart melted a little as she looked at him with a sad look. "You would miss me?" Damn... She was going to fall into this again as she said. "Well, I suppose that we can continue but... You can't be flirting with me in the house or when your brothers are in the house." She whispered as she moved a little close. Why did she put up with this man... But lord, she loved the fool. Of course, he could never know.

Eric chuckled, "I can, if you want beans and toasted bread."

He took her 'I suppose' as her acceptance and moved right into the school house, "I've been thinking you might like a proper tour of the country, been thinking further, if you're up to it, that I might take you on my rounds tomorrow. You can see some of the other ranches. The Yearning Steer is the farthest out, but there are plenty nearby to take a look at, it would help you get a bearing on your surroundings at least. What do you think?"

Noah grinned at her, "I like that idea!"

He said before he tackled her back to the bed with kisses... and more. It wouldn't be easy to quit her, but he knew eventually he'd have to.

The next morning, he slipped out before the morning sun could touch the horizon, but it wasn't early enough. Jesse stood outside with one of the ranch hands. They had been heading for the barn but both stopped to look at him as he emerged.

Noah swore softly, tucking in his shirt quick, "I uh... I... needed some..."

The ranch hand laughed, "I had a feelin' there was some rutting going on over here, didn't reckon it was the little one."

Jesse shook his head. "Get up to the house," he told Noah.

"Jess-"

"Go!"

She had some eggs and bacon in the pantry that had been given as she said, "Well, if you make the toast and beans... I can make some eggs and bacon and we'll have a right proper English Breakfast for supper." She said thinking that she was tired but she was also a bit hungry as well. "On your rounds, will that be safe?" She asked as she thought about it for a moment. The idea sounded like it would be an interesting day out as she nodded. "Sure, I will come along. Anything I ought to bring with me?" She asked curiously thinking that him being a man, probably expect her to bring a picnic lunch for the two of them. Oh no... She was not going on a date with him.

This was just to get her surroundings. Kate was in the school house as she went to the little pantry. "It's a bit of a mess in her but I have to unpack a lot of my things." She had done a little bit. The saddlebags being unpacked and then carried outside to the little barn where Persephone was eating some oats.

She had not opened the package from Ben yet... She did notice it and thought about doing so.

---

Susan was getting washed and ready for another day at work after Noah had gone back to the ranch house. He had left late and she was brushing her hair and making sure that she was clean after their romp. Even using lemon juice to clean between her legs as a prevention of pregnancy.

She had not known that Noah had been seen by Jesse and if she had known. Well, Susan would be horrified.

"Mostly I just wander around keeping an eye out for any shadiness. It's perfectly safe. I haven't seen a single thing to warrant any real panic. I'm fairly certain the recent thefts have been kids, but you just never know so I wander about looking busy. Keeps the locals happy." Eric said easily as he trailed along after her. He knew this place well, he'd helped set it up.

So he dug around to find some bread and beans and pulled a knife out of his pocket to open the can. It only took him a few minutes to wrangle the thing, he'd had his fair share encounters with the blasted things and was quite comfortable opening them at this point in his life. But he had a few scars on his fingers for those 'learning curve' moments in his youth.

"Hah! I see you've already done some shopping," Eric said with a grin when he noticed the brown package. Typical woman.

Later in the day, after their chores were done and Noah and Jesse were riding out to check on the cattle, Jesse opted to bring up the subject of Miss Susan.

"You're risking her life, Noah. It's not a risk for you, but for her it is. You need to stop," up until now he hadn't intervened but this morning was a stark reminder. He was fairly certain Frank wouldn't out the kid, but if it had been any other ranch hand there was no telling what would have happened.

"She was telling me the same thing last night," Noah admitted. "You're not going to tell Ben?"

"Do it again, and I will," Jesse said, "understand? I won't let you take her down."

"She makes her own choices, Jess. It's not like I'm forcing her."

"Doesn't matter if she agrees to it, you should be the man... you should be the one saying no. For her good and for yours. Sometimes in life even if people are willing to be taken advantage of, we need to not take advantage."

Noah frowned, "Since when did you turn into mini-Ben?"

"Shut up."

"Blah blah. Never have fun. Blah blah. I'm super serious man."

Jesse rolled his eyes, kicking his horse into a gallop to get away from the younger man but Noah just responded by urging his mare into a matching pace.

"Well, I got a sewing kit since some of my dresses are a bit loose and a few sweets since Luke Wilson was saying that they were good at the sweet shop... As for this package." She paused as she said, "Mr. Wilson got it for me but when I was going to open it... Well, something was distracted us."

It had been the kiss but she was not going to tell the Sheriff about that. "I'll open it later." She said with a smile as she went over to the wood stove and frowned at it for a moment. Was something like this a good idea for a meal in the summer... Well, she would have to use it because it was not like she had an icebox or knew how to cure meat. There was a lot that she was going to have to learn.

She went to get the bacon and eggs and went back to the stove so she thought about getting the fire started. Well, now this was a little awkward with someone here as she knew there was some matches to light the fire as she thought about when she went camping.

---

Susan was working around the house as she usually did with Mary. She was not really thinking about Noah and the night before but she was feeling so odd that day. She was coming down with something but she did not have a fever. It was really so odd and then, it was the worst case scenario...

Susan was sure that she was pregnant. Well, she could hide it for awhile but she did not know what she would do when she was showing.

Well, she wondered if she should tell Noah. His reaction last night made her think to herself.

Eric saw her hesitation and wondered if this was something her husband would have done normally. He moved to start the fire for her, "Ben got it for you?"

That was a surprise, "He's not known for generous gifting."

He wondered just what those two had gotten up to in the last few days. No... not possible that Ben made any moves on the girl. It just wasn't his way. "He's probably trying to sweeten you up in advance. That brother of his is probably going to be a handful. I'm sure you've noticed, he's quite full of energy."

Once the fire was going he moved out of her way.

Noah did not come to her hut that night, and he avoided her by not coming down for dinner. Jesse was right, but not only that he was scared to death of his brother turning him in. He didn't think Ben would react well at all, not as well as Jesse at least.

Jesse, for his part, thought of warning the girl and in the end... he decided to.

That evening, after dinner, he walked to her hut and knocked on the door. He knew many of the helpers shared huts, but the two ladies of the ranch had been given living quarters of their own. He was glad for it but also not... if she hadn't had a place of her own, this might not have happened.

She decided to go with the Sheriff's assumption. "Yes, that is most likely the case... but then, Luke is not that horrible of a young man. He was my tour guide for the town and the Yearning Steer." She explained at he was lighting the fire and she was so thankful as she was watching him do it. Learning how to work it so that she could on her own when the time came. "Thank you..." She said softly as she had a cast iron frying pan as well as some butter as she put the pan on the stove and then the butter. She then cooked up four eggs and a few strips of bacon a long with it for the two of them. It was a strange set up for the school house but the ladies of the village had made sure that she had all that she needed for living there over the winter.

"How do you like your eggs?" She asked as she was cooking for the Sheriff.

---

Susan was ready for Noah to arrive as he usually did when he would sneak out of his bedroom window... she went to the door, still dressed from a day of work but her hair was out from her pins. Opening the door, she said with a smile. "You didn't get lost... did...oh." She looked up to see that it was Jesse and she certainly didn't know what he wanted. Had Noah told him about their little bit of fun and he wanted the same? "Uh..." She said softly. "Can I help you?" She asked as she was trying not to look like she was so filled with fear.

Should she welcome him into the little hut? "Do you want to come in?" She said nervously.

"Generally white and yellow," Eric answered as he set the beans in a pot and held the pot over the stove next to her frying pan.

"So... city girl, huh? Ever lived in a town this small before?" Eric asked. He was curious to see how she'd adapt, if she could hold her own among some of the more... troublesome residents of the town. The thing about small towns was... you had to play nice sometimes, even if you didn't care to. Otherwise you risked ostracizing yourself, and nobody wanted to be alone in a place like this.

"No, probably best that I not," Jesse murmured. Had she noticed him this morning? Judging by the look on her face it was hard to tell. She looked frightened but that could be because he was standing at her doorstep well into the evening. He couldn't risk coming over until Ben had gone to bed.

He spat on the ground, giving himself a moment to think of the appropriate thing to say.

"I know about you and Noah," he said finally, "and after this morning I've asked him to stop coming over. I think it's best, if he try, that you turn him away. He's just a kid, you know, not too bright... not very good at holding back."

Back
Top Bottom