Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Colony Couples (Sci-Fi RP Request, MxF)

Does this seem interesting to you?

• Yes!

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • No. Freaky rat guy...

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

AswanFox

Star
Hello! I've been into a lot of pretty hard-core RPs lately, and to be honest, I'm kind of burned out. I'd like to try something a little softer, more character driven; I don't want to be a dom, I'm not necessarily looking for TOO many outlandish kinks, just want to play through a budding relationship against a sci-fi backdrop, and if the characters end up in bed, so much the better.
I have a particular scenario I'd really like to try.
For inspiration, it is very loosely inspired by the short series of independent animations titled "There she is!!", which I highly recommend. I will say straight up that this is probably going to be a weird spin on the concept for most people. If it tickles your curiosity, though, I'd love to try it with you!
Without further ado, let's have a look at this plot, shall we?

- -------------------------- -

It is the not-so-distant future. Humanity, straining at the limits imposed by its natural environment, has at last broken the bonds of gravity, striking out from its home-world to develop and settle the near endless reaches of its native solar system.
Humans have done well in their expansion; within a few short centuries, the Earth's natural Lagrangian points have become host to great shoals of artificial habitats, collectively home to billions of living beings. Great reserves of natural resources have been tapped on Earth's moon and in the distant asteroid belt for the comfort and advancement of human society, with great strides made to eliminate the long-standing maladies of hunger, sickness and ignorance.
But while modern humanity lives in security and ease, the comforts they now enjoy came at great cost, the balance of which has been largely forgotten...

Humans may new live in space, but they did not build much of the infrastructure which led to later success.
In the 21st century, when the earliest efforts to develop outer space and its resources were taking place, much of the work was not undertaken by human hands. At the genesis of the space age, the trailblazers were machines, and so it was with the first commercial efforts; robotic spacecraft explored and mined the asteroids, making possible the great space development projects around the Earth.
But machines could do only so much.
For complex work, such as orbital construction and manufacturing, human participation was preferable in many areas. Unfortunately, this was often difficult to facilitate; sending humans into orbit was expensive in the early days, not to mention the provision of specialized training, equipment, supplies, and crew return infrastructure...
Luckily, or unluckily depending on how you view it, there was another up-and-coming alternative.
At the same time that space technology was up-and-coming, another technology was coming increasingly to the fore. Genetic engineering had been developed in the late 20th century, and in the 21st, it had begun to blossom into an increasingly sophisticated and capable field of research. The marriage of the two, in hindsight, was inevitable.
As the limits of robotic technology compared to human adaptability began to make themselves apparent, less scrupulous minds sought a solution. Humans were expensive to send up, but what if something could be created with approximately the same abilities? Would it be possible to create an organism which could perform human work?
The undertaking was massively expensive, but the payoff would grant significant advantages, and thus it was pursued. By the early 22nd century, success had been achieved.

The earliest task in creating such a species was picking an organism to base it on. Early on, the laboratory variety of Rattus norvegicus was selected, due in large part to its familiarity to the scientific community, and to its already considerable mental faculties and intelligence, which were judged to be easily expanded and adapted.
The species was "uplifted" with genetic engineering, largely in secret by a cabal of the large space development corporations invested in the project. After nearly a century of work, the final "product" was unveiled to the investors.
Rattus astericus was specially engineered for life in space. Written into its genetic code were methods of resistance to common space maladies; stabilization of bone mass, resistance to high doses of radiation, robust ocular organs, and other fixes. Its intelligence had been increased to human levels; it was adaptable and quick-thinking, although not even the scientists who had made it could say if it was sapient.
Finally, the new species had had its physical layout drastically altered. Bipedal, it was given opposable thumbs and human-like dexterity, and it now stood just a little under average human height.
Breeding and training programs for the new species were quickly developed. Before long, many of the outlying space stations in Earth orbit, and in the asteroid belt, had a self-sustaining population of the creatures. Intensive training and education from an early age instilled in them a great loyalty to their creators, and they worked tirelessly to build what humans would or could not.
They were profoundly useful in this capacity. Their home was their work-site; they did not have to return to Earth, did not require the same supplies or other considerations; they were essentially disposable, if their upkeep became inconvenient, and more could always be bred...

At first, the existence of Rattus astericus, often referred to as Astros by their human overseers, was kept secret from the general population. Eventually, though, and especially when humans began settling en masse in the new orbital habitats, the secret of their existence became impossible to keep.
The lack of outcry over the conditions under which the Astros generally lived - indeed, over the circumstances of their creation - is possibly the most troubling thing about modern humanity. For decades after humans began living alongside their furred predecessors in space, little was said about them. It was not until the Astros became more or less obsolete, as robotic technology caught up and it became easier to employ humans in the roles the Astros had filled, that some concern was given to what was to become of the species.
Today, Astros live more or less equally alongside humans, though it is more in resignation than acceptance. Naturally shy and often fading into the social background, this new status was not through any great push on the part of the Astros, but more a gradual melding of human and Astro culture as the two species began to occupy the same living spaces.
Astros are generally still considered second-class citizens. While they can work the same jobs as humans, and own property, they are not otherwise generally afforded equality under law and custom; though their sapience and intelligence has been proven almost beyond doubt by scientific research, many regard them as little more than animals who have learned to fake being human. They're too clever and useful to get rid of, but few actually want them around. There is a small but growing Astro Equality movement, but it has yet to firmly take hold in most places.
So, then, what happens when a human and an Astro discover that they might indeed share more in common than the space colony where they live?

- -------------------------- -

So, TL;DR: My character, an Astro, a member of a species of genetically uplifted rats created to build infrastructure in space, and now considered second-class citizens, and your character, a human female, encounter one-another and end up starting a relationship. The story would revolve around how said relationship progresses, and how it begins to cause social upheaval around them.

As a role-player, I have about 10 years of experience under my belt, and this is something I've always wanted to try, but I've never found anyone willing to try a truly odd couple scenario; you might date a fox anthro, but a rat?
But I want to try this! Is anyone interested? Looking for someone adventurous, as well as a creative writer.
Hope to hear from you soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom