Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Any reccomendations?

GoodGirlGrace

Super-Earth
Heya

I've been catching up on watching a lot of the "old essentials" lately, like the old Ranma 1/2, Tenchi Muyo, Yu Yu Hakusho sorta thing, so I've been a bit out of the loop for anything newer that's not Space dandy or Assassination classroom.

Anyone got anything interesting or good to recommend?

Also before you say it, I've tried SoA and Attack on Titan. Not really my cuppa tea, saw it all before kinda vibe to them for me.

I hear there's a new Fate anime as well, is that like the older series'?

Melancholy of haruhi suzimiya (main anime)

disappearance of haruhi suzimiya (movie)

Lucky star (watch the main haruhi before this you'll see why)

Rosario + vampire

Date a live

Negima

Black butler (original and book of circus)

Sekerei (original and second season)

Is it ok to pick up girls in a dungeon

World only God knows (2 seasons)

Kill la kill

Oh man, my friend likes Fairy tale so I've heard plenty of it. Tried watching that one a while back but it's got quite a lot of episodes to go through! I'll catch up on that one later methinks XD ((Then again saying that I'm still trying to catch up on Detective Conan....Using a guide to filter out the filler episodes..))

As for Lucky star, Black Butler, Kill la Kill, Negima! and Haruhi I've seen them :3 Though I'll certainly look into the other ones there.

First off, for the Fate series, it's a bit hard to explain, but it's sort of like the version that came out a long time ago, but with much better animations. It fallows a different story path based on the game the series was adapted from. It's also sort of a sequel to another Fate anime that came out a couple of years ago Fate/Zero, a prequel to the series written by Gen Urobuchi (known for writing Madoka and Psycho-Pass), so the prequel is a bit darker. Both are pretty good though, at least in my opinion.

As for some other shows to watch:
Gintama (a bit long, but fun to watch)
Himouto! Umaru-chan!!
Gugure! Kokkuri-san
Jojo's Bizarre Adventures
Ore Monogatari
Non Non Biyori
Rage of the Bahamut
Monthly Girls Nozaki-kun

Just a few shows that are pretty good. Hope one of these interests you.

wiki234 said:
They came out with the disappearance of nagato

Is that a follow on from Haruhi, or like an off story? o3o

HeartOfTheDarkness said:
First off, for the Fate series, it's a bit hard to explain, but it's sort of like the version that came out a long time ago, but with much better animations. It fallows a different story path based on the game the series was adapted from. It's also sort of a sequel to another Fate anime that came out a couple of years ago Fate/Zero, a prequel to the series written by Gen Urobuchi (known for writing Madoka and Psycho-Pass), so the prequel is a bit darker. Both are pretty good though, at least in my opinion.

As for some other shows to watch:
Gintama (a bit long, but fun to watch)
Himouto! Umaru-chan!!
Gugure! Kokkuri-san
Jojo's Bizarre Adventures
Ore Monogatari
Non Non Biyori
Rage of the Bahamut
Monthly Girls Nozaki-kun

Just a few shows that are pretty good. Hope one of these interests you.

Ahhhh I totally forgot about the Monogatari series!! Yes that's what i'll watch! The art direction in them is phenooomanal, but I've only ever seen clips in AMV's and the like (Mainly Nostromo's AMV's...Dude is the Editing god.)

I've seen Jojo's but there's a lot there I've not looked at, so I'll give it a shot.

Jojo's is great. I love Old Joseph Joestar "SONOVVA BEEETCH!!" x3 Love it!

Thanks for the reccomendations guys :3

Also rec:

Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni (which is season 1)
Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni Kai (which is season 2)
Mirai Nikki
Rin: Daughters Of Mnemosyne (a personal favorite)

GoodGirlGrace said:
Ahhhh I totally forgot about the Monogatari series!! Yes that's what i'll watch! The art direction in them is phenooomanal, but I've only ever seen clips in AMV's and the like (Mainly Nostromo's AMV's...Dude is the Editing god.)

I've seen Jojo's but there's a lot there I've not looked at, so I'll give it a shot.

Actually Ore Monogatari is unrelated to the Monogatari series. It translates to My Love Story, and it's about a large intimidating teenager (a character you'd usually see play the main guy's best friend in other stories) falling in love with a cute girl he saves from a groper. The two begin a relationship and the story continues with their awkward romance. It's a cute romantic comedy, one that you don't see too often.

As for the Monogatari series itself, I personally have mixed feelings about it. The art is interesting, the premise is pretty cool, and I like most of the characters. The main problem I have with the series is that the main character is kind of a scummy asshole. Granted that's my personal opinion, and I know of many people that do enjoy the series.

Jojo is definitely fun. The story is goofy, the action is over the top, and probably the best parts of the series are just some of the dumb summaries I've heard about it. Part One is about a British noble fighting vampires with punches infused with the power of sunlight. Then Part Two is about a British martial artist and a Nazi cyborg teaming up to fight ancient Aztec dubstep super vampires. :p

Also, a couple other shows I forgot:
Seitokai Yakuindomo - a pretty good show if you enjoy dirty jokes
Toradora
Nisekoi
Psycho-Pass
Darker than Black (ignore the second season)

Oh you should check out Outlaw star, if your into old animes like Yu Yu Hakasho. if you want any more recommendations the PM me cutie. ;)

MrLoveable said:
Oh you should check out Outlaw star, if your into old animes like Yu Yu Hakasho. if you want any more recommendations the PM me cutie. ;)

See, Older anime is my jaaaaam I'm a regular old fag when it comes to that stuff. I grew up watching anime, so I saw a lot of it when I was younger, and the stuff I didn't I'm sorta catching myself back up on like I said up there.

Old anime makes me happy, especially watching it now, I'm cringing at how Ranma is and yet it's wonderfully funny, even if everything you can think of turns into some sorta martial arts contest ;3 XD

I'm still getting over Martial arts figure skating. I can't even.

HeartOfTheDarkness said:
GoodGirlGrace said:

Actually Ore Monogatari is unrelated to the Monogatari series. It translates to My Love Story, and it's about a large intimidating teenager (a character you'd usually see play the main guy's best friend in other stories) falling in love with a cute girl he saves from a groper. The two begin a relationship and the story continues with their awkward romance. It's a cute romantic comedy, one that you don't see too often.

As for the Monogatari series itself, I personally have mixed feelings about it. The art is interesting, the premise is pretty cool, and I like most of the characters. The main problem I have with the series is that the main character is kind of a scummy asshole. Granted that's my personal opinion, and I know of many people that do enjoy the series.

Jojo is definitely fun. The story is goofy, the action is over the top, and probably the best parts of the series are just some of the dumb summaries I've heard about it. Part One is about a British noble fighting vampires with punches infused with the power of sunlight. Then Part Two is about a British martial artist and a Nazi cyborg teaming up to fight ancient Aztec dubstep super vampires. :p

Also, a couple other shows I forgot:
Seitokai Yakuindomo - a pretty good show if you enjoy dirty jokes
Toradora
Nisekoi
Psycho-Pass
Darker than Black (ignore the second season)

Have you ever seen the Better than it sounds list before? The ones for Evangelion and Gundam cracked me up.

I've seen a couple on that list, but I have been massively interested in Psycho-Pass and Darker than black, I have been seeing cosplays of them everywhere and a few friends mentioned them to me a while back as well. I'll have to check out the other shows there too.

I have watched Nerima Daikon squad before and found that hilarious, so I think Seitokai Yakuindomo is safe XD

darkangel76 said:
Also rec:

Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni (which is season 1)
Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni Kai (which is season 2)
Mirai Nikki
Rin: Daughters Of Mnemosyne (a personal favorite)

Higurashi I've watched, Mirai Nikki..I recognise that one, is that the Battle royal-esque one with the uttterly insane 'innocent little girl'.

Mirai Nikki is indeed. A bunch of people are given diaries, each one with a special and unique ability. The game is that only one can win, thus live. The winner becomes god. And yes, there is an utterly insane innocent little girl--Yuno. Probably one of my most favorite characters ever to exist, actually. Not to mention one of the most perfect examples of the yandere.

Also, if you give Rin--an older anime--a go, it's just superb. It consists of 6 episodes, each one running approximately 45 minutes in length. The story line is rather intense as well as graphic. It probably also hits upon every taboo known to human kind. But that is just one of the things that makes it fantastic. The anime does in a way that doesn't feel gratuitous, it flows with the story and how everything needs to develop. Plus, nothing feels overdone. At least, I didn't think so. I will warn, you do need a strong stomach for some of the scenes. But, I love gore/vore. Thus, such things hardly bother me. <.<

If you like old school maybe black cat or rurouni kenshin if you haven't seen them as well as last exile and buso renokin and blue dragon

I'm getting a nice big list together here, Looking forward to it :)

Silverknight said:
If you like old school maybe black cat or rurouni kenshin if you haven't seen them as well as last exile and buso renokin and blue dragon

Oooh! I played the Blue dragon game ages ago!! There's an Anime for it? Brilliant! Gotta love anything that uses Akira Toriyama's artwork! x3

Though, not much into anime anymore myself to be honest, I'm surprised a lot of my tops haven't been listed. Possibly I just have poor taste. Can't get into newer things, too much fan service for no reason and lack of story depth. Let's see what I can offer..

Mushishi
A low key anime that follows the adventures of a man who studies various beings known as Mushi, they're basically out there creatures like a living rainbow, creatures that live in your pillow and bring dreams a few steps closer to reality, causing terrible events to unfold and various other abstract ideas. Was a good watch for me.

Samurai Champloo
Top notch fight scenes, wonderfully fluid animation and a story brimming with characters you'll remember for quite awhile. Created by the people behind Cowboy Bebop if that's any indicator what to expect.

Witch Hunter Robin
Another low key anime that focused on a monster-a-week formula for most of the show, similar to Mushishi in that manner. Though with a more arching story over all. The main character, Robin, is a witch that hunts other witches. Various occult references are sewn into the mix, as well as some decent music.

Texhnolyze
What to say about Texhnolyze.. It's something different, for sure. It's just one you have to watch. Philosophical undertones fill the patterns of the show, adding to it's already dark theme. A more serious, adult anime. No fan service here either, that's not what I mean by adult.

Ergo Proxy
A main character that looks like Amy Lee for one. Like Texhnolyze, the show has it's share of philosophical tones and ideas. Another good one to pick up and watch, though you'll have to watch it through and through to get the full experience. Set in the future, man made gods, and the idea of what a god really is. Go for it.

Last Exile
A Steampunk love letter, with some futuristic tones in it. War, aerial dog fighting, a damn good story over all and a character or two that makes you question the twisted way someone truly loses their mind.

Cowboy Bebop
Goes without saying.. if you've not seen it, why are you reading this. Go, watch it now. I don't need to explain, it's mother-fucking Cowboy Bebop.

Outlaw Star
Old School anime that's already been mentioned, I second the notion to go watch it. Good mix of light and dark tones in the story, occasional fan service, fun characters. And a main character that was Malcolm Reynolds before it was cool.

The Secret Of Kells
Though not anime, one hell of a trip to watch. Beautiful animation that borders on an acid trip at times, while retaining a Ghibli like charm over all.

.Hack//SIGN
Older anime that did the whole Sword Art Online thing before they did. Main character becomes mentally trapped in an MMORPG world, while their body in the real world falls into a coma. It starts happening to others as well. Good soundtrack, a slow story but one worth seeing at least once. Was one of my first Anime watching.

Fooly Cooly
A six episode trip featuring a TV head, brain dead robot. A child that get's eaten by said robot and together they become a turbo fighting machine. Guitars as weapons, chaos and humor at every turn. Erotic undertones. Mopeds that run people over and make robots come out of their head. More awesome music than you can shake a stick at. Glued on eyebrows, baseball. an arsonist school girl. Animated Manga scenes, and just tons of fun. Love this one.

Honorable Mention:

Cowboy Bebop: Knockin' On Heaven's Door
The Bebop movie, a good watch at any point. The music is stellar, catchy. Fight scenes fluid and beyond entertaining. The humor good, just over all a damn good watch.

That's about all I got, what you folks think? Good suggestions?

MAINSTREAM:
Hunter x Hunter (2011)
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Code Geass
Hyouka
No Game No Life
Monogatari Series (but you seem to be interested in that already XD)

NERDY THINGS THAT NOT EVERYBODY LIKES (but I <3):
Gatchaman Crowds (S2 airing now)
Mawaru Penguindrum
Revolutionary Girl Utena
FLCL
Cross Game
Dennou Coil
Uchouten Kazoku

If you have more specific tastes, I can probably refine some recommendations ^___^ I'm also really big on manga.

I'm out of the loop on newest anime, but the following are golden.

MOBILE SUIT GUNDAM
It's very old compared to just about anything (that I've noticed) listed here, but check out the original Gundam. It isn't for everyone, especially if you're looking for the kind of over-the-top, you've activated my trap, but I knew about your trap twenty episodes ago, but I have a secret form kind of anime that you find everywhere. It isn't even like the more recent Gundam anime, which are full of poorly written angst and melodrama. It's a serious, grim kind of anime with more subdued characters who deal with the situation at hand with a greater sense of gravity and realism. There aren't any pop idols who double as war-fighting, grand politicians. There aren't any obnoxiously large breasted women running around with lasers and Sentai uniforms. There isn't a bathhouse episdoes where the guys try to sneak a peek, or one of them end up trapped in the female bath and has to avoid detection.

It's without all of the tropes and bullshit that a long-time viewer of anime might grow tired of running into. It's seinen at it's best, and manages to throw in some believable and fitting levity to keep things from being too dark.

It's only downside is that the animation is from the late seventies, having aired in 1979. The quality of the art and animation can be spotty at times, but it's generally better than most of what you'd find in televised animation anywhere in the world during the period. It's one of the most iconic anime in Japan, and is considered the father of the real robo genre. It's definitely worth checking out, but I suggest watching the movie versions. There are three in total that condense the series into a superior package.

BECK: MONGOLIAN CHOP SQUAD
Do you like music? Then you need to go watch Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad. Why? I have yet to see an anime that does the band genre better than Beck. Now, I know it may be a niche genre with slim pickings, but Beck is really good.

First off, the music is actually pretty good. I'm not a fan of most Japanese rock, however what you have in Beck is some decent stuff. The real-life Beat Crusaders were the driving musical force behind the anime, so it has an authentic feel. The music isn't just some studio band hired by the production company to belt out some quick tracks. The songs in Beck can stand on their own feet, and still retain the raw, amateurish feel of a band just starting out. The only problem with the music is that they cannot possibly live up to the bar the author set with the main character's voice. This creates a bit of a disconnect, as you watch the fan reaction on screen, and then gauge it against your own more realistic response. Another cool thing is the English dubbing of the series; they actually re-recorded the music in English. I think it's really cool that the localization bothered to do this, however the results are mixed. When translated into English, the rapcore songs are a bit lost. Chiba, the hip-hop/rap front-man, loses a whole lot of his aggression and flow. I also found that the songs themselves feel a little more flat.

The animation isn't anything special. It's the typical quality you'd expect from most anime productions. It isn't bad, but it isn't OVA quality or anything. However, the feel of the manga is preserved in the art style and animation, so it's a boon to the fans of the manga. Both the opening and ending credits are done very well. Both capture the feel of the anime very well. The visuals are satisfying, and the music is just fantastic.

Where this anime really shines is the story. Beck is a surprisingly realistic tale of what it's like to get a band going. While this is a tale of a shy novice realizing his potential and talent, he doesn't get there overnight. Yukio "Koyuki" Tanaka, can sing his ass off, but he's a diamond in the rough. For what talent he does have vocally, he lacks it elsewhere, as he picks up a guitar and learns to play. For months he practices, and for years he performs, but it isn't for at least four years that he starts to come into his own. While the manga does extend years after the anime, I assure you that Koyuki isn't portrayed as some prodigy god. He doesn't give a lopsided smirk, flick his nose with his thumb, and then rattle off a shonen one-liner. He's a humble guy, and he knows he isn't great, but he diligently works harder to get better. He's written more like a real person. Throughout the series, the band deals with chemistry issues, disappointing performances, and the brutal expenses of a tour. Things go wrong for Beck more often than they go right. However, when things do go well, when the stars are perfectly aligned, their triumphs are great. The hard work and passion they put into their music pays off. It's very satisfying to watch or read.

So, go watch Beck! You won't be disappointed; It has action, comedy, romance, and awesome music!

AKIRA
I'm not sure if I even have to explain why anime fans should check this one out. It's one of the most influential anime of all time, and a serious milestone in Japanese animation. It's beautiful to look at, the story is great, and it's all around amazing.

I'm definitely going to back up some of the following that were mentioned above:

Cowboy Bebop
Samurai Champloo
Code Geass/R2
Akira

All of those are simply AMAZING!!! Like, you should've watched them yesterday. XD

I will add a couple others to what I've already mentioned as well...

Hellsing
Vampire Hunter D
Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust
Samurai 7
Fullmetal Alchemist

Back
Top Bottom